Dots and Zeros [Completed]

By LFJordan

'You don't think you can just ask your mom what she's reading?' 'No, I don't want to.' 'It's exciting, thoug... More

Preface
Motto
1. Sam
2. Sam
3. Madeline
5. Sam
6. Sam
7. Eugene
8. Madeline
9. Sam
10. Sam
11. Madeline
12. Sam
13. Eugene
14. Sam
15. Madeline
16. Sam
17. Madeline
18. Eugene
19. Sam
20. Madeline
21. Sam
22. Madeline
23. Sam
24. Eugene
25. Madeline
26. Sam
27. Madeline
28. Sam
29. Eugene
30. Madeline
31. Sam
32. Madeline
33. Madeline
34. Sam
35. Madeline
36. Eugene
37. Sam
final author's note

4. Madeline

1 0 0
By LFJordan

'Yes. Of course.'

I nod as Mr. Rossingol looks at me.

'Are you sure it's not an inconvenience?' he asks.

'No, of course not.'

'Fantastic.'

Ten to four. He said he had time already and was wondering if I had as well. I'm not done yet, but I wouldn't be in ten minutes either.

I follow my new boss across the office into the hallway. Instead of going to the elevator, he opens a door on the left. A relatively small room presents itself. Just a desk, a bookcase, and two extra chairs shoved against the wall right next to the door.

'You can grab a chair,' Mr. Rossingol says.

I take one and place it on my side of the desk. The bald man quickly moves some loose papers into a drawer and looks at me with a smile.

'So,' he says.

'So,' I say. 'Thank you for having me.'

'Of course. How would you say your first day went?'

'I'm still getting used to... well, everything.'

He chuckles.

'That's normal,' he says.

'I'm glad. Besides that, I think it has gone pretty well. I've introduced myself to a handful of colleagues, I can find the bathroom, I know where to store my lunch.'

'Sounds like you know where to find everything important.'

I smile at him as I feel my cheeks warm a little.

'What do you think of your desk mate?'

The dude who got into my car without a second thought? And stayed seated until we could go into the building? He offered me painkillers, though, thinking I needed them.

'Tobias seems nice. I haven't gotten the opportunity to talk with him a lot. We're at work after all. But he seems nice.'

'I'm glad. Have you met any other colleagues yet?'

'I've had the chance to talk with Ramona during our break.'

'Really? How was that?'

'She's... direct.'

A smile creeps onto his face.

'Go on,' he says.

'But she also seems nice.'

'That's great. And the work itself? Is it what you expected?'

'Yes. The woman conducting the job interview was right in the way she described it. I'm glad I trusted her,' I say.

He laughs and slaps one hand on his desk.

'You're a good one. I like it. Any things you don't like?'

'No, I don't think so.'

'Be honest with me. I can take it.'

'Well, there's this one small thing.'

He raises one eyebrow, and leans his elbows on the desk. His hands come together under his chin.

'Go ahead.'

'I just think it's a little inconvenient the front doors open only fifteen minutes in advance.'

It's clear he didn't expect to hear that one.

'Explain, please.'

'I like to be on time. Just so I can organize my stuff at my desk, get a cup of coffee, and all that stuff.'

'Fifteen minutes isn't enough for those tasks?'

I shift in my chair, and put one leg over the other.

'It is, but there's more. I don't like leaving for home if I haven't finished what I was working on. If in the morning I know I won't have enough time that day, I can just come in earlier. That way I have more time for it.'

'I see. Thank you for sharing.'

'You're welcome.'

'Does it bother you very much?'

'No, no, no. Of course not. I'll get used to it.'

He gives me a smile.

'I like that attitude,' he says. 'After all, not everything can be in your control. Even I, as the boss, can't have everything my way. That's part of life. Unfortunately, we simply have to deal with things we don't want to every now and then.'

'Wisely said.'

There's a lot of smiling going on between the two of us. He's opening his mouth to say something when his phone rings.

'Oh,' he says.

'You can take it. Would you like me to step out of the room?'

'Actually, I don't have any questions for you anymore. So unless you want to tell me something...?'

'I don't. You'll hear from me when I do.'

'I like it, thank you. And welcome to Rossingol and Sons. We're happy to have you.'

More smiles as I stand up and move my chair back to where I found it. I hear Mr. Rossingol pick up the phone. I quietly leave his office.

...

After leaving Mr. Rossingol's office I walk back to my desk. Tobias is glued to his computer screens filled with various excel spreadsheets. My own two screens are on stand-by.

I pick up the mug next to the keyboard and go to the break room for a cup of tea. There's two people at the table in the corner discussing something. While the water is heating up I look at them. One is trying to explain something. Big eyes, big gestures, toothy smile. The other is leaned back into his chair and silently takes it all in.

As I sit back down at my desk I take my phone out of my bag. Now. The decision. Do I work until five and go home? With an unfinished project at the office on day one? Or do I go on until I've finished it? Honestly, if I didn't make it bigger than it was it would have been done by now.

'Tobias?'

He lifts his eyebrows, indicating he's listening. I look over my screens, then his, and look at the guy sitting on the other side of the table. His eyes remain focused on the screen.

'At what time does the office close?'

'The doors lock automatically at ten PM. At 9:30 PM an announcement over the speakers tells people to get out while they can.'

'Thank you.'

'You're welcome.'

I can finish it before ten no problem. Besides, I don't need to make a good impression on Sam anymore. For the people at work I do. They don't know me yet. I'm the new one who needs to prove herself, right? I unlock my phone as I stand up from my desk. I walk to the hallway and find a corner without people.

'Hello?'

Sam's voice sounds a little distorted over the phone. Nonetheless, it's theirs.

'Hey, honey,' I say. 'How are you?'

'I'm fine. I survived my first day.'

'I can hear that. I'm proud of you.'

'I might have even made a friend. When are you coming home?'

I lean my back against the wall.

'That's why I'm calling, actually,' I say.

'Okay. But before you say anything, I have a surprise for when you get home.'

I feel the corners of my mouth lift up.

'What is it?'

'Since you got a dessert for us yesterday, I got one for today. To celebrate we survived our first day.'

Oh, no.

'Doesn't that sound good?'

'It does,' I admit. 'Thank you.'

'Sure. So when are you home?'

'Technically, I could leave at five.'

'No, not again. Mom, don't start this.'

'I have to stay longer. I'll be home long before ten. Okay?'

'You have to? Absolutely have to? Who says that?'

I'm supposed to be the one with logic and reason. The forty-something year old adult. Not my seventeen year old child. Don't let them outsmart you, Madeline.

'I want to finish my-'

'So no one's forcing you but yourself. Just stop listening to that voice.'

'That's easier said than done.'

'No it's not. If I can do it, you can do it.'

'Sam, listen. I want to finish this project. Alright? I'm doing it. Whether you like it or not.'

'Why? I just don't understand why you-'

'Because I want to start this the correct way.'

Silence.

'And you think this is the correct way?'

'Yes.'

'For your job, maybe. But what about me? And our start in the new house and stuff.'

'I'll come home tonight, don't worry.'

'I've heard that before.'

'Sam, I-'

'Do what you want. You will anyway. Don't forget to eat something.'

They hang up. I put my phone in my back packet. My hands go to my face. I close my eyes. Why. Why, why, why. Why do I always ruin things? Why can't everyone be happy at the same time?

I let my feet drag me back to my desk. I sit down and lay my phone out of sight. I've committed now. If I don't finish the project tonight, but still arrive home late, I... I don't want to think about it.

The shake of my mouse wakes up the screens. All the data and maps are exactly where I left them. As coworkers leave, one by one, to start their evening, mine starts in a different way.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

218K 23.1K 35
2020 WATTYS WINNER in NEW ADULT! Oliver Ausman has been given a second chance at life, but it's hard to feel grateful when he was the one trying to e...
1.3M 23.4K 33
When Dana Thomas's parents get divorced, and her aunt and uncle pass away, her mother decides it's time for a change - just in time for senior year o...
324 28 24
Due to her father's passing and financial loss, Parker Meyers and her mother have moved from their big home in New York, to the small cozy town of Ni...
62.5K 4.4K 28
[2022 WATTYS WINNER] | Tracey Higgenbottom, Mr. Porter's witty assistant, finds herself at a dead-end when constables dismiss a case of his possible...