The Lonely Warrior Queen

By LavenderHamsa

It all started when Princess Catheline married the dangerously attractive and recently crowned King of Anthre... More

{Chapter 1}
{Chapter 2}
{Chapter 3}
{Chapter 4}
{Chapter 5}
{Chapter 6}
{Chapter 7}
{Chapter 8}
{Chapter 9}
{Chapter 10}
{Chapter 11}
{Chapter 12}
{Chapter 13}
{Chapter 14}
{Chapter 15}
{Chapter 16}
{Chapter 17}
{Chapter 18}
{Chapter 19}
{Chapter 20}
{Chapter 21}
{Chapter 22}
{Chapter 23}
{Chapter 24}
{Chapter 25}
{Chapter 26}
{Chapter 27}
{Chapter 28}
{Chapter 29}
{Chapter 30}
{Chapter 31}
{Chapter 32}
{Chapter 33}
{Chapter 34}
{Chapter 36}
{Chapter 37}
{Chapter 38}
{Chapter 39}
{Chapter 40}
{Chapter 41}
{Chapter 42}
{Chapter 43}
{Chapter 44}
{Chapter 45}
{Chapter 46}
{Chapter 47}
{Chapter 48}
{Chapter 49}
{Chapter 50}
{Chapter 51}
{Chapter 52}
{Chapter 53}
{Chapter 54}
{Chapter 55}
{Chapter 56}
{Chapter 57}
{Chapter 58}
{Chapter 59}
{Chapter 60}
{Chapter 61}
{Chapter 62}
{Chapter 63}
{Chapter 64}
{Chapter 65}
{Chapter 66}
{Chapter 67}
{Chapter 68}
{Chapter 69}
{Chapter 70}
{Chapter 71}
{Chapter 72}
{Chapter 73}
{Chapter 74}
{Chapter 75}
{Chapter 76}
{Chapter 77}
{Chapter 78}
{Chapter 79}
{Chapter 80}
{Chapter 81}
{Chapter 82}
{Chapter 83}
{Chapter 84}
{Chapter 85}
{Chapter 86}
{Chapter 87}
{Chapter 88}
{Chapter 89}
{Chapter 90}
{Chapter 91}
{Chapter 92}
{Chapter 93}
{Chapter 94}
{Chapter 95}
{Chapter 96}
{Chapter 97}
{Chapter 98}
{Chapter 99}
{Chapter 100}
{Chapter 101}
{Chapter 102}
{Chapter 103}
{Chapter 104}
{Chapter 105}
{Chapter 106}
{Chapter 107}
{Chapter 108}
{Chapter 109}
{Chapter 110}
{Chapter 111}
{Chapter 112}
{Chapter 113}
{Chapter 114}
{Chapter 115}
{Chapter 116}
{Chapter 117}
{Epilogue I}
{Epilogue II}
ו My Review •×
!NEW STORY!
×Swords and Schemes×

{Chapter 35}

4.1K 184 24
By LavenderHamsa

Xander's POV:

The castle was dead silent. I wanted it to stay that way. The light from the torches, ablaze at every part of the hallway, gave a clear path in front.  My mind was still disturbed by all the incidents, the words I heard, and the future I had to look forward to.

I decided that a friendly pace would not hurt. That was where I met Nathaniel. He looked very shocked to see me, as if he had seen the dead arise: it was hard to blame him.

"Your Majesty," he greeted, his face pale. "May I dare to ask how you are feeling?"

"I...do not feel the same," I replied after a pause, as the icy winds hit my hair. Not after what I heard.

"There is something that you need to know," Nathaniel said tersely. "It concerns the Queen,"

"Catheline..." I mumbled, my voice rising. I remembered this morning. "What about her? Is she alright?" 

"She waited for you outside your chambers," he replied, avoiding my eyes. "For hours. We managed to convince her to take a rest. And she had asked me about you just an hour ago."

Catheline was stubborn and it reached a peak in the past few months. Why risk the safety of our child? When a mother had a child to look forward to, it became her dearest value that she would protect at all costs. Why tire herself for me?

"How is she?"

"The doctor says that she is fine. But please meet her the first thing tomorrow."

I looked at the sky. There were no clouds tonight which let the stars sparkle and the moon glow in a soft, dim light. I stared at the gardens, wordless. No movement.

"I would like to see her now,"

"But Your Majesty, it is past the middle of the night-"

"I would like to see her. That's all,"
.................................................................

When we reached the outside of the Queen's chambers, we found her maid, near her room. She immediately made a surprised noise when she saw me.

"Your Majesty," she bowed. She sounded stunned as she hadn't anticipated my arrival.

"Is the Queen asleep?"

"The...The Queen has trouble sleeping tonight, Your Majesty," the girl said, looking at the door with concern. "She does not appreciate the cold tonight,"

Some part of me itched with guilt. Was she worried for me? If yes I was the most insensible fool. It wasn't as if I didn't want to see her: I simply didn't want her to see me in such a state. She had enough troubles to deal with at the moment. I glanced at Nathaniel, before looking back at the door. He let out a nod before dismissing the girl.

What would she say?

Both options made sense if it came to her. I had faced worse than this, but dealing with an emotional wife was something I feared the most at the moment. Gathering all my courage that was left, I unlocked the door.

The room was dark, except for the glowing lamp near the bed. And there she was.

I was facing her back as she moved her head occasionally. After observing that movement for a few moments, I realized that she held a book, reading. And soon enough, I heard the faint sound of a page being flipped.

"Catheline?"

She lifted her head and I was waiting for her to turn, but she never did. Instead, she bent over her book as if she never heard me. What was going on?

This time, I walked closer to her. Anticipation was rising in my chest. Was she alright?

"Cat-"

"Ahhh!"

That scream frightened the wits out of me. I flinched at the sound echoing but did not move while Catheline shielded herself with her book, staring at me as if she did not know me.

"Xander?..." She whispered, after narrowing her eyes. "Is that you?"

I frowned at her. What did she mean? "Of course I am. What made you wonder? Are you alright?"

She gave me a look before looking back at the door. Then she glanced at me again, making me even more bewildered. "My mind isn't in a right state."

"Yes," I replied. "I suppose you were too possessed by your book to notice me,"

"Hm,"

I sighed, looking at the door. I hoped that Nathaniel wasn't intimidated by this. I glanced back at my wife, who was glaring at me, shooting invisible daggers that penetrated through my chest. This...

This was not going to end well.

"How..." I started, looking away. "How have you been?"

A pause. A painfully awkward pause.

"How have I been?" She recited. "What sort of question is that? You know how I am right now. Mad."

I raised an eyebrow. But soon knew that I had to calm her down. "Catheline, I know that you are upset, but please understand. I didn't want you to be affected by me."

"Really?" she tilted her head. Her expressions softened but only for a moment. "I am not going to forgive you until you beg for it. So go ahead."

I was aghast for a moment but it was obvious that I didn't have a choice. If that soothed her mind, then I was willing to do it. Slowly, I sat down next to her while she folded her arms and looked away.

"We..." I began. "We've become close for the past few months. You've become too attached to me and..." Suddenly, I learned that I had no idea what I was doing. Hence, I rephrased my words. "Sweetheart, please forgive me. You know how ridiculous I am when it comes to talking with you."

She gave me one cold look. For a moment, I thought she was going to argue further, to attempt to hit me again, to reprimand me, and make fun of my rather unconvincing apology.

I was preparing myself to make a plea once more before her eyes began tearing up. She slammed the book onto the mattress.

"You are ridiculous," she mumbled. "But I won't accept your apology unless you tell me what bothered you so much that you refused to see me."

I sighed, feeling at peace that she chose to listen to my explanations. But something strange occurred inside my head. A thought that had been recurring for a while.

She looked adorable when she was angry.
.................................................................

Catheline's POV:

I went from shocked to angry to shocked again.

When Xander recounted his tale about meeting the late Lord, I listened intently. But now, I wished that I could unhear and forget everything because my insides were squirming unsteadily.

In the end, I was still upset at the behavior he had displayed earlier. It was a fire that could not be put out. And my new mood instabilities contributed no help. I stared at an unspecified point, as Xander's words were reiterated in my head.

It was his destiny to defeat that man. His and his alone. The horrors that the man had done in his life and to his own family were unpardonable. That only showed that the future of this kingdom if the other side triumphed. No. It can't be allowed.

"I needed some time away from everyone." He said. "Time to let all the misery sink in. For a moment, I just wanted to be with myself. To come to terms with what I was told."

"I understand," I replied. "Surely, seeing me would make you even sadder,"

Even though I was still furious at him, those words came upon me easily. I was loyal. I was obedient. And more than that, I loved him My love was so strong that it could forgive him.

"I did think of you while I was away," he said, tucking away a loose strand of my hair. "Both of you."

I gave him a long look while holding my belly. "And I thought of you more times than you probably did."

"I know," he replied. "Perhaps, I could have even felt your concern from far away, if that was possible,"

A smile played on my lips upon hearing those words. On the surface, I was pleased with his sweetness. But deep down, I was more concerned with what he said earlier. It just displayed what the enemy could do to reach his goals. I caressed my stomach protectively, wiping away all the horrific images formed in my mind.

"Is that all?" I asked after a pause and pulled the blankets closer. "Will you go now?"

"You were the one who waited for me all these days, and now that I am here, you wish for me to leave so soon?"

I looked at him, stunned by his words. He was looking at me as if I was a complicated child. But I was not. I was a woman, who was facing many things at once. But compared to him, my problems were normal. Were they though?

"Do you want to stay?" I blushed, moving my feet.

"Do you want me to stay?"

His voice gave a rush of goosebumps all over my skin. Dear me, I missed him desperately. "Stop playing around and just tell me what you'll do."

Xander tilted his head, peering at my face closely. "You look haggard. I suppose you were unable to sleep in peace while I was away, wife?"

I put my palms against my cheeks. "Is it that obvious?..."

"Yes, it is." he stood up abruptly. Taking my book away and keeping it on the nightstand, he turned off the lamp. "I guess I have to make it up to you, one way or the other."

I was startled. "So you'll stay?"

"Of course I will,"
.................................................................

Karra's POV:

Last night, I almost lost my heartbeat when I saw the King. He was the one I least expected to show up at the Queen's door while I guarded outside.

I was even more worried at the moment. The King had left during the early hours, telling me to make sure that she rested more often. I wanted to tell him that I was trying my best but kept quiet.

My concern then jumped to another; the Queen hadn't woken up yet.

I was there, pacing around like a mad woman. After a few more moments of this insanity, I gathered the courage to knock. A pause and I heard a tired echo from the room.

It took me less than a few seconds to enter the room. The Queen was awake, clutching her pillow. She stared at somewhere with keen interest, failing to notice my presence.

"Good morning, Your Grace," I greeted, walking towards her. She flinched and looked in my direction.

"Is everything alright?" I asked, clenching my fists. Some form of relief arrived when the Queen began smiling.

"Just a little dazed," she replied.

I smiled back and went ahead to open the window. And I was greeted by the harsh wind of this icy morning, causing me to shudder. Even the big and burning sun could not warm up the day. It was only a bright white spot in the sky covered with grey clouds. I sighed and turned around.

"It looks like we are to have rain today as well, Your Grace," I said, approaching the bed.

The Queen simply nodded. She didn't prefer to talk but I could see that something had happened last night.

"Did the King apologize?" I began. She gave me a beautiful smile before nodding.

"He was so sweet last night," her smile began to fade away. "It's just that...he said some words that unnerve me."

I wondered how dreadful it must be if she was affected that much. In the castle, there are many talks of death, spies, and an incoming war. The King has many things to attend to. Surely, it would be enough to stress anyone. Even Lady Daraa was not often seen outside. Everyone had their duties to play now.

And even the Queen did.

Her duty was to give healthy heirs to her husband. But I knew that this was not what Her Grace wanted. She wanted to be in his heart. Not just have the title of the Queen or the mother of the King's children.

Suddenly, I heard a soft sound near the window. Turning around, I noticed that it was a bird; Leonard.

"He's back." the Queen said, her mood lightening up.

I quickly walked up to the window sill and cautiously held the bird. On the class hidden under the feathers, was a small letter. I plucked it and approached the Queen to give it to her.

"Let's get you fed," I said, taking the creature to the corner where a small table was kept. I top was a bowl of food and water. The owl jumped forward and enjoyed the break.

When I turned around, I was faced with the shocked expression of the Queen.

"What does it say, Your Grace?" I asked, nearing her.

"It is from my father..." She uttered.

"What does it say?..."

She gave a long pause before sighing deeply, popping her hand on her lap. "My brother is about to visit me."
____________________________________

Author's note:

Hey loves 💕

First, I have many things to say! Thank you for the many votes, comments, and new readers to my story! I was freaking out when I saw the notifications 😭

I just want to give you all a BIG HUG! (*gives a grateful hug)

I hope you liked this chapter and please comment with your thoughts, theories, and questions about the story :)

See you soon~

PS: TYSM for 10k+ reads!

LavHam.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.2K 3.6K 33
11th century, in Singhal. Her own people betrayed her, her family used her. Pawned her in a political marriage with a man 15 years older than her who...
4M 124K 58
*COMPLETED* BOOK 1 of the BLOOD MOON PACK SERIES #1 Packs 26/01/2021 #1 Emotions 27/09/2019 #1 Sacrifice 25/10/2019 Elizabeth Crow was only a young p...
28.2K 3.8K 43
Once upon a time there was a beautiful woman lived in a beautiful village. she was known for her beauty , innocence and devotion . They called her...
Stolen Pain By Keigo

Historical Fiction

4 0 5
Set in 1860, homophobia is a huge thing. Who knew the prince of London would fall for the enemy. Haneul's home country, Korea, declared war on Englan...