When all else fails, kill for...

By genta21

Anna is a hunter for The Assemblage. She used to be a simple girl with simple wants and needs. But now she is... More

When all else fails, kill for a government agency and die for no one.
What do you do when the past comes back?

The backstory

90 0 0
By genta21

Comment and tell me what you think or how to improve...Thank you

“There is no need for this, Derrick.” Anna said, eyeing him as he walked into the kitchen that was stationed on the left of the living room. He began shuffling through cabinets and pulled out a kettle and tea. Anna felt a pang of admiration in her heart towards him, knowing that he remembered that she liked to calm herself with tea.  She watched him and remembered the times that they used to have and how she got to this point.

They had met in the third grade and at first hated each other. They had nothing in common and Derrick was obnoxious when he was with people. He was a class clown and did not like to pay attention, but he still got near perfect grades. In the fifth grade they became friends and were almost inseparable. Both of their birthdays were in the summer his being June 27th and hers being July1st, so their parents celebrated them together.  A month before their freshman year of high school, Anna’s parents were killed in a hit and run accident. She was devastated and she was sent to live with her aunt who was a workaholic but loving just the same. Her aunt lived a street behind Derrick, so she practically lived over at his house. The two knew that there was something more than friendship between them so they tested the waters. They grew to love each other and everybody loved them. They were homecoming king and queen and prom king and queen their senior year. Voted cutest couple and most likely to get married (kind of shows what the school knew). They both got into the same college, him going for Physical Therapy and Anna going for Business.

 Derrick started to act weird halfway through sophomore year of college but seemed to get better. They were intimate one night in March and the next morning Derrick was gone. She was torn apart wondering what she had done wrong. She wondered if he met someone else or if he just didn’t love her anymore. Hundreds of things ran through her mind. The next month passed in a haze and then one night she had an unbelievable pain and woke up the next morning not remembering anything. 3 weeks later she found out that she was pregnant. She finished the year with a 3.764 GPA, and went home to her aunt’s house. They talked about what she had to do, and the first thing was tell Derrick’s parents.

When the pain came again that night, she woke up in her car the next morning 10 minutes outside of town in Wetly Woods. She didn’t remember anything but had little flashes like a dream. She felt a rumble in her stomach and knew that she needed to eat something. She drove to a local diner a few minutes from her house and cleaned herself up in the bathroom. She just wanted to get the day over with. After eating, she knew what she had to do. She went to Derrick’s house to tell his parents. As soon as she said that she was having his baby, they said that it wasn’t his and that they hadn’t seen or heard from him lately. And that they would appreciate it if she would stay away from their family.

Anna drove back to her house in shock. She couldn’t understand why the family that was like her own would treat her like that. She needed to talk to her aunt to figure things out but knew that she would be at work until later that evening. She turned the corner of her street to see flashing lights everywhere. She thought that maybe the elderly neighbor had a problem until she noticed the tape going around her yard. She stopped at her house, got out of her car and went to run in, but was stopped by a police officer.

“You can’t come in here, ma’am. This is a crime scene. Step back behind the emergency vehicles.” The officer said holding Anna back.

“I live here with my Aunt! What’s going on?” Anna replied struggling to get past the officer, tears coming down her face.

“Ma’am, there was a burglary and attack phoned in late last night. Apparently, a man broke into the house and attacked your aunt. She phoned saying that she had been stabbed and that she needed help. The 911 operator lost contact with her a couple minutes before emergency personnel arrived on location. When they entered the house, they found her on the floor in the upstairs bedroom. She was unresponsive and after trying to revive her, pronounced dead. I’m sorry for your loss.”

Anna felt the world closing in around her. Her aunt, the only person she had left, was dead. Someone murdered her. She felt a hand on her elbow and realized that she was sitting down with the officer kneeling next to her. “Are you alright?” she asked with concern in her eyes. Anna didn’t know anymore. She had just lost everything. She was gone for one night and in that amount of time, her life crashed. Her aunt’s body was brought out and put in the ambulance. A paramedic came up to her and told her that the body was being taken to the coroner’s building and that she could call to make burial arrangements.

A cleaning crew was in route to clean up the scene since the police were done with it. An officer would remain with her until the crew was finished. If she had anyone to call, she could. When everyone had left and the place was clean, Anna went through the house in a stupor. She knew her aunt had a will and that almost everything was left to her and that she was the beneficiary to her life insurance. The funeral was prearranged a paid for. She spent the rest of the day and evening calling friends and the lawyer. The week and funeral went by; debts were paid and Anna was given everything. People called to offer help at first but then quit calling and the neighbors quit coming by, leaving Anna to her solitude. A couple weeks after the funeral, Anna woke in the middle of the night to severe pain. She called 911 telling them that she needed help because of the pain. They came and took her to the hospital, where the doctors told her the she lost the baby and she needed to stay in the hospital for tests for a couple days. Those couple days gave Anna time to think. She sent a letter to Derrick’s parents saying that she lost the baby. She was released from the hospital with a diagnosis of stress. She sold the house and the things in it and left.

That night came and with it came the pain. The next morning she woke chained in a cell. The Assemblage had captured her and told her what was going on. They told her that she needed treatment and training, that she was special. She went through months of painful treatments and training, learning to fight and control the changes. They explained that something had happened to her to make her abnormal. They paid her to be an agent to catch the people in the folders. She didn’t need the money since she still had the life insurance and money from selling the house, so she invested most of it, sending her $300,000 to $2.3 million. Anna took it all and stuck it into bank accounts all over the world. She lived fighting for The Assemblage and burying her pain. Until the day that Jolon gave her Derrick’s file.

Continue Reading