The Richest Heart

By theresastinnett

Emiline dreams of being a fair lady. She longs for drama, fashion, cities and fancy tea parties. But as a twe... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54

Chapter 29

9 3 1
By theresastinnett

Emiline, you're running late!" Mother's voice had a warning note in it. Time kept ticking on and on. Soon school would start. But Emma had been too busy to get ready for school that morning. Tomorrow she had to be ready to leave and she still hadn't decided what she would wear. Finally, she snapped her last suitcase shut and ran out of the room.

As rushed as Emma was, she was floating on a cloud of delight. She still couldn't believe that she was really going to the city. What would she see there? What would she do there?

"Oh, I can't wait for tomorrow!" she cried in excitement.

The road to the schoolhouse was lonely that morning. Susan had left long before, and there was no one to talk to. But, Emiline didn't mind. Her head was full of imaginations and joyful thoughts. As she walked, she looked around at the trees and the blushing leaves. They were pretty, but she wouldn't miss them. She was about to see things that were beyond her wildest dreams.

Turning a corner in the road and heading straight for the schoolhouse, Emiline's thoughts were

interrupted by a loud, little voice.

"Pal! Come back here! I don't want you gettin' lost!" it called. Emma smiled. Benjamin had taken his puppy to school for several days now and Pal was always the center of attention at lunch time. As long as the dog stayed outside, Miss Weed didn't seem to mind. No one could help liking Benjamin and his puppy. They were a harmless and pleasant pair.

"Good morning, Benjamin!" Emiline greeted. She caught up with the little boy in a moment and slowed her pace slightly to match his. Benjamin smiled up at her and gave her a friendly hello. He didn't look like he was in a hurry to get to school. He had his hands in his pockets and he was skipping along in a happy way. "You had better hurry if you want to get to school on time," Emma urged kindly. "We're both running kind of late, aren't we?" She looked around curiously as she spoke, searching for Simon or Peter. "Are you all alone?" she asked at last.

"Yep!" Benjamin answered. "Well...kinda... Simon was walkin' with me, but he went on ahead." He lowered his voice and sounded almost frustrated as he added, "He says I'm a slowpoke." Emiline laughed.

"Oh, I see. Well, I'll see you soon, Benjamin. Don't take too long or Miss Weed will make you clean the chalkboard again!"

Emma went on her way as fast as she could. When she reached the schoolhouse, she saw Peter sweeping the porch with an angry and humiliated look on his face. Mrs. Weed was still punishing him for getting into a fight. Emiline felt a little bit sorry for him.

"Are you almost done, Peter?" she asked sympathetically. The boy looked up at her with the same grumpy expression.

"No, I'm not almost done." he answered gruffly. "I would have been if Julian hadn't skipped work today."

"You mean, he hasn't been helping you!" Emiline exclaimed. Peter shook his head.

"He's been dawdling about his jobs for days," he grumbled. "Today, he didn't even come. But, at least next week all of this extra work will be over."

School was just beginning, so the two hurried into the building and sat down to begin their lessons. Everything was dull and normal in the schoolhouse. Emma did her best to focus on her lessons, even though all she wanted to do was dream about her trip. Why couldn't this long day end so tomorrow could whisk her away to the seaside?

Across the room, someone cleared their throat loudly. Emma thought nothing of it. She scribbled a math problem down on her slate and tried to think. Then the sound came again. Curiosity drew her mind away from her lesson. Her eyes glanced over at a desk by the wall. There, she saw Simon looking uneasy. What was he doing? Emiline forgot all about her math as she watched him. He tapped his finger against his desk, then, he tore off a small piece of paper and wadded it up into a tight ball.

"Silly boy," Emma laughed inside. "He's going to get himself into trouble."

Simon looked at the teacher cautiously to make sure she wasn't looking. Then, with a quick motion he threw the piece of paper at Peter. His big brother gave a start and looked back with a frown. Simon gave him an apologetic look. Then his mouth formed some silent words that Emma couldn't understand. Peter squinted his eyes in confusion.

"What?" he mouthed without speaking. Simon tried to repeat himself. Suddenly, Miss Weed looked at them sternly.

"Boys," she began with authority. "You know that you aren't allowed to talk during class. May I ask what is so important for you to say?" To her surprise Simon actually looked relieved.

"Yes, Ma'am," he answered in concern. "It's about Benjamin. He was supposed to be here a long time ago. But he isn't! I knew I'd left him behind, but I didn't think it would take him this long. Please, Ma'am, can I go out and look for him?"

"Oh dear," Miss Weed began. She hadn't noticed Benjamin's absence that morning because usually he and Simon were always together. "Yes, I suppose you had better, Simon. But don't be too long. If you can't find him soon, come back and I'll help you." Peter seized the opportunity to speak up.

"Benjamin isn't the only one who's late, Miss Weed," he ventured.

"Julian didn't come to help me with our work at all!"

"Now, that I knew," Miss Weed answered. "But, that's none of your business. Julian might have a good reason why he is late. I certainly hope your brother does. Now, get back to your studies, Class."

Simon slipped out of the schoolhouse as the other children started their work again.

"Slowpoke," he grumbled to himself. "I thought he was right behind me!" He ran down the road with as much speed as he could, looking from side to side and calling his brother's name.

"Benjamin, where are you! You're gonna be in big trouble!" He went further and further away from the schoolhouse. He even left the path once in a while to look through the woods. At last, he saw the little boy sitting in the middle of the road with his head resting on his knees. His face was red and his cheeks were wet with tears, but he was crying too hard to make a sound.

"Benjamin, what happened?" Simon yelled worriedly. He ran to his brother and knelt down beside him, grabbing the boy by both shoulders and making him look up. Benjamin let out a sad squeal and tried to catch his breath so he could speak. At last, his little voice croaked out a few words.

"Stop crying and tell me what's wrong!" Simon demanded. "I can't hardly understand you.

"He's gone!" the little boy squeaked at last. Then, stuttering as he shook with sobs he repeated, "Pal's gone!"

"Is that all?" Simon exclaimed. "I thought you were hurt! Don't you ever do that again, Benjamin!" He pulled his brother to his feet and started leading the way back to the schoolhouse. Then, feeling a little bit sorry for acting so mean, he added. "I'm sorry about Pal. What happened? Did a hawk get him?" Benjamin looked up at him with huge, teary eyes. His bottom lip quivered as he held back his sobs, but he didn't answer for a long time. Finally Simon got impatient.

"Oh stop crying, will ya? I asked a question. What happened to Pal?" Benjamin sniffled.

"He...he's lost," the little boy answered, choking on his tears.

"Yeah, I thought it would happen sooner or later," Simon said. "He had a bad habit of runnin' off. I guess it serves him right."

"No!" Benjamin squealed. "He was a good dog! He...he..." his voice trailed off and he sobbed again.

By the time the two walked into the schoolhouse, Benjamin had controlled himself, but his eyes were red from tears and his voice was hoarse. Miss Weed asked him what had happened, but the little boy couldn't seem to answer. Finally Simon told her everything and she gave Benjamin a comforting hug.

"Don't worry," she said gently. "Sometimes dogs go off on their own looking for squirrels and quail, but he'll probably come back after a while."

The little boy tried to smile, but his heart was broken and it couldn't be comforted.

Emiline wished that she could help Benjamin. He was too sad to do his lessons well, and at lunch time he stayed at his desk and only nibbled his food. Peter and Simon searched all around the schoolhouse and in the woods, but there was no sign of the boy's puppy.

Emma would have gone along, but she and Susan were discussing their plans. They were both thrilled and excited, but as they talked about leaving the country and looking in shop windows, Dorothy sat beside them looking up at Emiline with sad eyes.

"I'll miss you," she said. Her voice was so quiet that the giggling girl's didn't hear her. They didn't even notice that Dotty was looking left out and lonely that day. All Emma could think about was the next day and how much fun it would be.

Not long after lunchtime, Julian crept into the schoolhouse and walked softly to his desk.

"Julian, you are more than late," the teacher scolded. "What do you have to say for yourself, Young Man?" The boy looked up at her with a pathetic, pitiable expression. Then with a hoarse cough he answered.

"I've got a cold, Ma'am. But, I didn't want to miss school." Miss Weed didn't look sure, but through the rest of the day, his frequent coughs and sneezes convinced her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 691 41
*1st place in Young/New Adult category of The Heart Awards!!* Story 3 in the Beauty of God Series Ella has big dreams. So big that the small town tha...
Cherry Springs By J. B. Lesel

Mystery / Thriller

616 24 23
Oregon 1887 Anna goes on a journey of discovery as she sets off to find her missing brother. She wants to be more than a housewife and dreams of work...
2.8K 538 49
Emiline Elmwood, an imaginative young girl in the Old West, dreams of being a hero. But does she really have what it takes? As she is faced with need...
42.3K 5.1K 54
Elisha is a loving and tender- hearted Christian girl who is a freshman at university, doing her first year in medicine. Every guy on campus is mesme...