Never Left Me (Completed)

By GenHope

"Even when we departed you never left me. I carried everything you said to me and did for me even when we wer... More

Description
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four, Part One
Thirty-Four, Part Two
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Forty-Five
Forty-Six
Forty-Seven
Forty-Eight
Forty-Nine
Fifty
Fifty-One
Fifty-Two
Fifty-Three
Fifty-Four
Fifty-Six
Fifty-Seven
Fifty-Eight
Fifty-Nine
Sixty
Sixty-One
Sixty-Two
Sixty-Three
Sixty-Four
Sixty-Five
Sixty-Six
Sixty-Seven
Sixty-Eight
Sixty-Nine
Seventy

Fifty-Five

8.6K 634 598
By GenHope

Genesis sits in the drivers seat avoiding the weather that comes with the first month of Spring. He's parked in the cemetery keeping himself busy as a group of people task themselves with getting ready to rebury his father. Gee came to Kentucky specifically for this, but he still doesn't feel a sense of closure watching them lower the casket into the ground.

He originally had his father's body exhumed in November and it's now the beginning of March. A nearly four month journey that feels nowhere near over. He's spent thousands on opening and closing the grave, tests, and investigating, but he didn't regret a penny.

The Forensic pathologist, Suzanne, finished her portion of the job by determining his cause of death – Acute Cardiac Toxicity due to Oleander Poisoning.

The private investigator on the other hand hasn't given him much news and it's pissing Gee off now. He understood investigations take time, but now he feels the man is giving him the run around and playing with the money he spent.

Seeing a Ford Escape coming down the cemetery road, Gee already knows it's the private investigator. He rolls his window down right as the P.I. pulls up next to him. "Hey," the P.I. says casually like everything's all good.

"Hey? I heard from you only two times last month. I'm paying you. You haven't been checking in or giving updates. You haven't given me any new answers in a month. You need to give me my money back or tell me what's up."

"I told you I haven't found anything new..."

"And I don't believe you. You're telling me a bunch of people knew my Daddy was gambling, but they can't tell you anything else? Who he may have owed, if he got into any arguments, nothing?"

The P.I., Roland, sighs then confesses, "Someone threatened me. Someone's been following me, cars parked outside of my house, then someone approached me. I have to think about my own safety and family. I have kids."

"Isn't that apart of the job description? If you're so scared give me my damn money back," Gee says harshly.

"Look, they told me to stop digging. That the death was natural and he died from a heart attack. Even if it was foul play it's probably just someone from your father's past getting revenge from when he was a drug dealer. That's how they tried to spin it."

"My Daddy hasn't been in the streets in years."

"Well, this person is willing to use it against him."

"I don't give a fuck about none of that shit. At least give me what you found and I'll finish this on my own."

Roland looks around saying lowly, "It was Kross."

"What? Speak up."

"Kross did it. He killed your father."

"How do you know that? You have proof?"

While looking through his phone Roland says, "Besides your mother and paramedics the last person seen entering your father's house was Kross. I was able to get Genaro's Ring doorbell footage even though it was over a year ago. I had to get a court order to gain access, but I got it."

He extends his arm out of the window and Gee grabs it. Gee watches the video seeing Kross standing on his father's porch. There's not a doubt in his mind it's him. His face is clear as day. At some point Genaro lets him into the home and it's another 30 minutes before Kross is coming back out.

When Kross reappears to leave he seems more anxious and cautious then before. He looks every which way as if to ensure no one sees him. Gee hands the phone back and Roland says, "A few hours later your father was dead. I figure he came to talk to your father and gave him those blunts with the Oleander petals and leaves."

"Do you have a possible motive?"

Roland readjusts himself in the seat as if he hesitant. Rubbing over his facial hair he begins, "Kross was running gambling operations underground for Destin's father, Reuben."

From there it feels like Gee is taken down this long, winding road as the private investigator details all that he can...

Apparently, they had Kross in charge of illegal sports betting and poker games after he got close to both Destin and his father. He was over 100 of millions of dollars a year and hundreds of thousands in a night. These games usually involved big betters putting him in the room with actors, athletes, and business tycoons.

This gambling ring was run through the Italian and Jewish mafia organizations. They're also the ones who have the sex trafficking ring. It's disguised under a nonprofit art gallery. It's a triangle tying together one of the darkest and deadliest crime syndicates in the world.

Not only did Kross run these illegal gambling games, he was also used as muscle to collect debts.

After Genaro built a friendship with Reuben he was let into these exclusive rooms. But he built a habit and soon he bit off more than he can chew. He was playing with high hitters who didn't bet less than $5,000 a game. Genaro got involved in a big card game and lost several hundred thousand dollars... That he didn't have at the time.

Kross was asked to collect Genaro's debt that had climbed to six figures. Usually, Kross was violent and aggressive when it came to getting money. But with Genaro he tried to be lenient considering he's known Big Gee his entire life. Dare to say, he considered Genaro a father figure since his was never in his life.

Kross decided to do Genaro a favor by loaning him a million to pay off his debts. As long as he gets 50% of his wins for the next two years... That was a setup for failure when Genaro was acquiring a gambling addiction and Kross knew it.

Instead of paying off his debt, Genaro thought he could gamble more and triple or double that money. He didn't though. He ended up with a quarter of a million left, which was less than the debt he owed. He was in the hole once again.

Genaro couldn't bring himself to ask anyone to borrow more money. Not after he fucked up his first chance. Not even from his own son.

He failed to pay in a timely manner leaving Kross with one choice... Destin's father and Kross aren't people you want to owe. Kross came by to collect his money one day and Genaro still didn't have it. Genaro was dead by that evening.

Genaro didn't know Kross desperately needed that money back. He didn't have it, and that's why Kross ended up stealing from artists. That's why he was trying to get the partnership deal with Interscope and Destin behind Gee's back. So he could get the money back since his father didn't pay him back.

The private investigator made it seem as if Kross had no choice in killing his father. That Kross was just a subordinate being forced to follow orders. Gee doesn't agree with that. He had a choice. It was his decision to work for the mafia knowing they don't play.

Kross ended up having to bite the bullet anyway. There's a chain of command and shit always rolls downhill. Whoever's at the bottom takes the blame and that was Kross. Even if he didn't agree with every decision, you obey every command. That's why he's dead now.

Destin and his father wanted Kross dead because he knew what happened. Kross knew why Genaro was killed. He knew about their illegal activities including the sex trafficking ring. He knew about Caprice sexually assaulting several woman. He tried to help clean it up, but failed to recognize he's disposable, so he can get thrown out too. He was killed for knowing too much.

Gee's mind is going a mile a minute. Maybe he's overthinking this, but he doesn't think not paying back money is the only reason his father was killed. He feels like there's more to it. He feels like he'll never know the complete truth.

"We should leave it at Kross doing this. And he's dead, so no criminal charges can be pressed. We don't need to further dig into this as far as Destin, his father, or this criminal enterprise they have. Be at peace with knowing what you do. You really need to leave it alone," the P.I. practically pleads. You can tell he's shook.

Gee shakes his head. "I say we turn over everything we found to the LMPD and let them handle it."

"You don't get it," Roland says more adamant. "Destin's father is Jewish and his mother's Italian. He actually has ties to the mafia on both sides. That's the only reason his grandparents let them get married. And if the police didn't even bother to investigate your father's death when it first happened, why would they do it now? It's clear some corrupt bullshit is going on."

Gee doesn't tell the private investigator for certain whether he'll leave it alone or not. Roland clearly wants no parts so he says, "Here." He extends a binder that's filled with all the stuff he found. "Do what you want, but I've fulfilled my job."

He drives off and Gee sits there going through it. 45 minutes later they're finally done reburying his father.

Genesis gets out of the car walking over to his father's headstone. He examines the fresh new dirt before sitting one of those rose arrangements shaped like a bear on top of it.

He just stares at it thinking. He spent a long time trying to make his father proud after not finishing college and football not panning out. He hopes his father was proud Gee turned his life around and stopped selling drugs. Despite that, he still feels like this is the last thing he can do to make him even more proud.

He doesn't know what's going to happen next, but he's going to figure this out. It may be putting himself, and everyone for that matter at risk, but he can't leave this incomplete. He hasn't finished many things in life and this needs to be one of them.

Gee squats down to get closer having his usual father-son one-sided conversation. "When I was younger I used to brag about you being a real street nigga," he shakes his head. "You ain't put a black eye in the game. Your face card was good. You never told on nobody or snaked anyone."

He looks around the otherwise empty field wiping over his face. "I'm realizing with this one the same rules don't apply. You can't kill these mutha fuckas. You'll be the one in prison for life even though they came at you first. You can't even threaten them. You can't set them up with a bitch."

Scoffing to himself, Gee realizes he has no idea how to go about this. He wants Destin's father in jail and he's never really wanted anyone behind bars. "Nothing I do is going to bring you back. I'm sorry I can't figure this one out for you, Daddy."

He sighs to himself, standing up straight. He lingers a few seconds looking a few feet back at Kross' headstone that's been vandalized. Since his death it spread like wildfire that he was confirmed as Quez's killer.

Sometimes he wants to dig Kross up and bring him back to life just to kill him again.

Getting back into his car, Gee looks at the binder the private investigator gave him. That's when it dawns on him Destin told him everything he needed to know. Destin laid out everything with what he told him at his birthday last year...

When exec's fear you, they don't fight. They fire, sue, swindle, harass, threaten, and blackball. They use the law as a canal to backchannel their hidden agendas and ulterior motives. That's what the law's for... The protection of those afraid of being overpowered.

He said they use the law to their advantage. Us niggas won't and don't. No telling. No talking to the laws. And that's at our own detriment. Destin knows that and expects it from Gee.

Leaving the cemetery, Gee decides to stop at his favorite chicken spot knowing he won't be home. While waiting for this order to be ready he sits at a table when he hears, "Gee?"

Looking up from his phone it's a man in his thirties who looks familiar. Then it clicks he's one of the older guys from the neighborhood. "Wassup, Kirk," they exchange a dap.

"Can I sit?" Gee nods and he pulls the chair back. "I've been meaning to reach out. I talked to Pierre. I know you were close to his younger brother, Quez. I heard you were asking why Kross and Quez fell out before he was killed..."

"Yeah, I was." Deep down he wonders if it matters anymore. He still wants to know out of curiosity.

Lucky for him, Kirk knows... From his knowledge they fell out because Quez was telling people Kross snitched back then. It wasn't that Kross outright wrote a statement in exchange for his freedom. But Kross did point the police in possible directions aka dry snitching. He told them he might know who was involved with certain things and gave tips.

You couldn't find Kross' name on any paperwork. It was all hearsay on Quez's end, but people believed what he was saying. Enough people started rolling with it and Kross didn't like that. He knew it was true though. The worst thing you wanna be known as is a rat.

Kross took that personal. Here he was stuck in Kentucky at 18, while his other friends were going off to college. That included Quez. He felt like you got niggas in the hood not fuckin' with me only for you to leave. He had to stay there with a ruined rep.

So when Quez came back for Spring break, he confronted him about it that night at the club in 2014. Kross kept yelling about how Quez was dirtying up his name and that he wasn't a snitch. Then the fight broke out.

Being older now, Quez was killed over words and accusations. But to Kross he killed him over his ego and pride. He killed Quez for telling the truth.

Gee rubs over his face as him and Kirk now eat discussing all this. "Kross was always a nigga of weak principles. There's a difference between strong rules versus weak principles. Rules are external. They're imposed on us," Kirk shares his knowledge. "We must follow them if we want to avoid punishment. Principles are internal. They're the fundamental ideas that govern our behavior. They're what force you to do what's right. Rules are imposed, principles are built."

"I never looked at it like that."

"That nigga didn't have no principles 'bout him. Dudes like that...They got nothin' but bitch up in they system. Can't ever trust someone like that," Kirk loudly slurps on his drink.

"It's different when a nigga get that envy in him. Even then, isn't that the leaders fault?" Gee wonders. "You should see it, right? I should've saw that early on in Kross. Identify the problem and if it can be fixed, fix it. If it can't, it can't. Get him away from me. Look at the bullshit he brought into my life."

"That's easier said than done. Nothing hurts worse than a person you thought was yo dawg crossing you. lon care what nobody say.. When you genuinely gave nothing but love and support. A nigga still move like you don't mean nothing to them. It messes with you. You helped a nigga get out the hood. You gave nothing but love and pure intentions. You can't blame yourself for that."

That's what's been fucking with Gee the most. He blames himself for his father's death knowing what he does now.

Kirk goes on, "A mouth will say anything the brain can think of. He told you what you wanted to hear. That nigga just didn't want you to handle that business. Kross was willing to step over you to get closer to your opportunity. But what's for you is for you. That's why you're here and he ain't."

"Niggas will throw dirt on yo name to clean they face up," Gee mumbles before sipping his lemonade.

"You ever heard of al-amanah and al-mas'uliyyah?"

"Nah, what's that?"

"Trustworthiness and responsibility. It refers to the ethical character of the human that must be practiced in daily life, especially by every Muslim. It represents the trust, integrity, honor, and conviction inside the hearts of men. That shit has come and gone. There's only traces of it left."

"But why?"

"I guess a multitude of things. No fathers. Money ruling the world. These dudes only half of the man they supposed to be. Those type of men calculate every move with no sentimental values behind them. They're so ambitious that they're detached from reality in an emotional sense. There's always going to be a Kross..." Kirk wipes off his hands with a napkin.

And a Destin. And a Reuben. And a Caprice.

Once Gee's done eating, he's heading towards a family members house. His flight is late tonight and he can't wait to get back to Houston. Lately when he comes to Louisville it feels like a dark clouds over him. He didn't blame his mother or Seven for not wanting to come with him.

Sitting in a room with Seven, Cortlen, and Choice, Gee keeps himself busy until the session can begin. He checks his Instagram chuckling at Magenta's latest post. It's a photo dump of what she's been up to since the New Year. At the top of the list is the engagement.

It's been a few weeks and he knew she wouldn't be able to keep it to herself much longer. He's been enjoying the fact they're stepping into the next phase of life. To say they finally got to this place is one of the best feelings.

But in order to keep progressing in their relationship some issues need to be addressed. That's why Gee's been going to grief counseling with Choice and his brother. Now that Cortlen's out he's joining too. Gee quickly learned this isn't only about dealing with mourning and death. It helps with trauma all around.

"Did you guys all do what I asked of you?" The counselor enters the room not wanting to waste a minute. They all hand over the the letters they wrote to their child selves.

It takes some time to get through each one, and he eventually focuses on Gee's. "I noticed a drastic difference in your letter compared to Seven's, especially pertaining to your father," the counselor notes.

"I feel like we got different versions because I was older, and we were raised in different households," Gee shrugs.

"I've noticed a theme in all of your upbringings. This thing called Parentification," the counselor writes the word on the dry-erase board big and bold.

He explains it's when parents rely on their children to give to them instead of giving to their child. Either the parent relegates duties to the child or the child voluntarily takes them on. This can include taking care of siblings, running the home, and being responsible for paying bills.

The child learns that taking over the duties of the parent is the way to maintain closeness to them. Then the child may engage in unhealthy relationships and assume a caregiving role even when they don't want to because this is the role that they know how to play.

"Explain your issues with your father..."

"My parents were very on and off. I felt the results of their rollercoaster relationship. My father was in and out of the home because of it. They might say fuck each other for two or three months. Feeling like he's breaking apart our family. I know their relationship is fucked up... Having to pick up the slack as the man role in the household. Paying bills, even if it's small like paying my own phone bill, but it progressed as I got older. We'd butt heads because I'm becoming my own man," Gee shrugs.

"Your issues with your mother?"

"Pretty much the same. Thinking she's weak for still dealing with him after he had a baby with someone else. Even though I didn't know she cheated first. Coming to me about bills and I can't just watch my mama struggle. Becoming a man before my time. The shit just looked silly. I had a lot of resentment."

Gee takes a quick breath jumping in to add, "But I don't wanna discredit my parents like they were bad–"

The counselor cuts him off. "Stop. You're allowed to tell the truth about your upbringing and experience. On more than one occasion you've said, They did the best they could, Nobody's perfect, It made me who I am. Like you're afraid to make them look bad. That's a part of parentification."

"Okay," is all Gee can say narrowing his eyes.

"You all probably thrive really well in leadership roles, but you flounder when you're not. Parentification leads to control issues, possessiveness, and fear of abandonment." As he lists things they can all resonate with what he's saying. They all carry these traits.

"When you get into new relationships and friendships you try to fit into the role you played in your family. If you paid bills for the family, you might pay bills for the woman you're dating... Even if it's a financial stretch for you."

Choice and Gee share a look. "Doing all these nice, good things for the other person's approval. If I do all this they won't leave, that's what you tell yourself. You're used to transactional love."

"When you say transactional love, what do you mean?" Choice asks.

"You weigh your worthiness and value on others and what you do for them. Your upbringings taught you to sacrifice yourself for everybody else. Laying down and being a martyr for someone, we're not supposed to do that." Almost in unison the men huff in realization.

"I have a question..." Cortlen raises his hand like he's in school. "How do we know if we're repeating our childhood in adulthood? It can be for dating or whatever."

"Is what you're giving being reciprocated? Do you feel drained?"

When Gee thinks about Magenta, his answer is yes for reciprocation. She reciprocates his emotional needs. He's not a person who likes to talk about feelings, but she gives him that safe space. She makes the small things feel big. Gee's mind will say it's another day or it's no big deal. She'll celebrate it and show him it matters.

The counselor keeps going saying, "You can't pour from an empty cup. People need to be filled to the brim. A whole person is completely filled. Your cup should be full and overflowing. You should give what's overflowing, so you don't deplete yourself to give to others. You should be full and filled. Fulfilled. That's a healthy relationship."

Gee agrees. And that's why he's always said he doesn't want a marriage like his parents.

After leaving the session, they all go back to Choice's house. While they're playing video games, Gee gets up to go to the kitchen. He grabs a drink from the fridge when Choice comes in too. "Get me one, bro." When Gee passes it over he says thanks leaning against the island.

"That session was crazy," Gee opens his drink with a crack.

"Yeah, got me thinking... Why'd you propose to my sister?" The question catches Gee off-guard.

"Because I want to marry her, of course. I love her. I'm in love with her."

"Yeah, but for some reason it feels like there's another reason."

He wipes over his face admitting, "With everything going on I don't know anymore. I promised her I'd do and give her certain things. I don't want something stopping that before it happens like it has in the past."

"You think something's going to happen to you, her, or both?" Choice arches an eyebrow.

"I don't know," he breathes out.

"If you're marrying my sister you're supposed to be the one protecting her. Not putting her in more danger. It's fucked up, but if that means letting some shit ride you otherwise wouldn't then it is what it is. You gotta let that shit go with Kross and Destin."

"This is coming from you of all people," he clenches his jaw unintentionally.

"Yeah, me of all people... I've damn near lost everything being a fucking idiot. Cortlen's fighting cases behind me. I keep saying it and I'll say it again... Don't be like me. It's time we stop being martyrs like the counselor said."

"Why'd you propose to Inandi?" Gee returns the question.

"My inner unhealed child," Choice mimics the counselor. He chuckles and shakes his head adding, "I think I'm going to call the engagement off. I need to be alone for once. Not taking care of someone outside of myself. Really mourn Chandrika and deal with my issues."

"Your mama and sister will be overjoyed to hear that," Gee makes them both laugh as they exchange a fold up.

An hour later, Gee drives home with Seven in the passenger seat. Gee taps his thumb on the steering wheel as a Future song plays loudly. There's clearly awkwardness between them after that session.

While discussing their letters, the counselor brought up the feelings he wrote about his father's murder. Gee still hadn't told Seven everything he found out, so it was revealed earlier.

Seven's in deep thought as he stares out of the window with his head leaned against a balled fist. He suddenly leans up aggressively hitting the volume down button until the music can't be heard.

"I can't believe you didn't tell me someone killed Daddy," Seven says angrily.

"I'm sorry, but I was trying to figure things out. I still am. You've been doing good. I didn't want to set you back."

"The only thing that needs to be figured out in my eyes is when we're killing that white nigga!"

"White nigga," Gee mumbles at the irony. "It's not that simple."

"Muh fuckas have wanted to kill for less!" Seven punches one hand into the other.

"Were you at the counseling session? We can't keep doing things the way we used to.. The way we know. It doesn't work, Sev. I'ma figure it. You keep doing what you're doing. Focus."

"Whatever," Seven grumbles leaning back in the seat going back to staring out of the window.

Magenta stands back watching the delivery men for a furniture store carry in her new sofa. She looks around her new office space letting a breath out. It feels like just yesterday she was packing her boxes to leave the company she started with Felicity and Colby.

The space serves her every purpose between shooting content, a workspace, showroom, and shipping orders. She closed on the office awhile ago, but they're finally moving in. Especially with the launching date quickly approaching.

These past couple of months she's been focused on branding, marketing, social media, her portfolio, and building her staff. The hardest part is finding both a talented, but trustworthy team. She's looking at being in charge of twenty employees at the least.

She repeats those sentiments to her assistant saying, "We already have an account executive, account coordinator, digital director, editors, photographers, videographers, PR & marketing manager, and a copywriter." She sighs continuing, "We still need a graphic designer, social media customer service manager, and fashion production manager."

"I already have the post ready saying we have openings."

"Thank you." Gen picks up a package. She looks at the custom neon sign with her company name and logo.

After thinking long and hard she decided on Project222 - a creative production, talent, and marketing company for artists, brands, and agencies. They'll develop content that intersects between art, entertainment, and advertising.

222 represents harmony and serenity. It's a sign that you're about to enter into a period of peace and stability. It's also an indication everything will work out the way you want it to. She just had to be patient.

While cutting open the box, Magenta stops to admire the ring on her finger. She can't believe this is what her 27th birthday looks like. Reflecting on this recent birthday versus the last, Gen can't help but be in awe of all the happiness around her. She's been truly stepping into herself and learning balance. She's starting her own business, she's been the most inspired and creative than she has in awhile, and she's getting married.

People keep asking her how does it feel to be engaged and she's still processing it. She's been floating on cloud 9 for the past few weeks. It's like a sense of peace she's never felt before. It's joy, but not a giddy joy. It's an alignment joy. Like knowing she's exactly where she's supposed to be and the comfort that comes along with that.

Knowing that Gee's serious about their relationship makes her love him more. It's a sense of security that she's not by herself anymore. And it helps that Gen hasn't been more sure about anything in her life. She's trying not to overthink and ride this happiness wave 'til the end.

Magenta decides to grab her camera and set it up to record a Youtube video. When she started taping her healing journey she never thought it'd lead her to starting a personal channel with hundreds of thousands subscribers.

She hasn't done an interview in a year. But now that she's starting her own company they'll be full-production, in a better studio, and she can hire other people to conduct them.

The camera's barely on before she's flashing the 10 carat virtually flawless diamond ring with a big smile. Gee did an excellent job on her ring, but it was expected. The man knows his jewelry.

"Issa fiancée. Issa wife. I'm sorry, I can't hear you over my ring," she models it dramatically. She chuckles because her assistant watches with an amused smile. "In all seriousness I asked you guys to send in questions, so we can talk about dating and finding love after experiencing sexual trauma," Gen starts the video.

"How did you stop being scared of men?" Her assistant, Mikayla, reads the first question making Gen laugh.

"Chile, I'm still scared. Um, it's not easy. You have to build trust and boundaries within yourself."

"How long do you think is enough time to properly heal before dating?"

"I don't think there's an actual time frame. You never stop healing and learning. Nobody can tell you it's too soon. "My boyf–" She stops to correct herself, "–fiancé came back into my life during my healing journey."

"How do you know if you should tell someone what happened to you?"

"When someone makes you feel safe. Safe to express, feel, and speak. Just safe. You'll know when someone deserves to experience the full version of you. I've never felt this emotionally safe in a relationship."

"How do you deal with intimacy after being sexually assaulted?"

"You have to find someone whose focus isn't sex and only wanting your body. Because when a man only wants that, they feel like every other second is a waste of their time, energy, and money. Then they'll treat you like that. A lot of men don't want love. They're filled with lust and confusion. When you've experienced sexual trauma you don't have time for that. Decipher the lust from love. I was honest about not being ready for intimacy on a physical level. It's on your time," she explains.

"How did you know he was the one?"

"I was loved into peace," she says with a smile so bright she almost glows. "We proved it's okay to wait on someone to grow and become better versions of themselves. It's okay to have a love that runs so deep you guys both prioritize yourself, healing, happiness, and your life before you return to one another. No matter how long it takes, rather than stay and continue down the same toxic cycles and immaturity. I appreciate him for loving me when sometimes I don't feel like loving myself. He really stuck it out."

Magenta ends the video there wanting to keep it short. Plus, she needs to keep unpacking stuff. "Anybody in here?" She hears a male voice call out. Looking towards the entrance she sees it's Colby walking in.

"Jux? What're you doing here?"

"I heard you're looking for employees."

She laughs as they walk towards each other hugging. "You want the graphic designer position?"

"Hell yeah! I'm taking it if you're paying well with benefits..." They pull apart.

"For you, of course! Thank you so much." She pauses with a sigh of relief then a question dawns on her, "Wait, what happened with Ill Minds?"

"I asked to be bought out like you. It's better to abandon a sinking ship than go down with it. The business has gone down like 50% since you left. People feel like Felicity's a rape apologist and don't want to work with us. Most of our clientele was women," he shrugs. "I understood Felicity's a new mother at first, but it's getting too much now. Her focus isn't there, it's on her personal life."

"Well, I'm glad to have you." Gen wags her finger saying, "When are you and my friend getting back together? She's miserable without you."

Jux smacks his lips softly. "The girl's all over the place. She's been trippin' since New Years. I figured she needs space. She keeps saying it's not safe for me to be with her and that she's protecting me from something, but won't say what."

Magenta narrows her eyes wondering why she said that. She figured everything was all good that same night Choice got her chain back. Clearly, there's something that Pandora's not telling anyone.

Her attention's grabbed when one of her employees comes over with a champagne bottle and glasses. "Let's make a toast to celebrate the new office space."

"Yes!" she takes the bottle as glasses are passed around. Magenta pops the bottle and the foamy liquid spews out onto the Epoxy floors. She finally feels like life is on track.

A Few Days Later...

Magenta's birthday was a few days ago, but she wanted to take a rain check. She was more focused on working. Gee wanted to know how you rain check the day you're born, but he respected her wishes. Truthfully, she never considered birthdays important until she met Gee.

Today she's finally celebrating and it's also doubling as their engagement party. Tempest and Misty planned everything due to being so excited. And since no one was at the engagement they decided to invite friends and family to partake. Hopefully that doesn't backfire on them...

After Gen and Gee get ready they go to his mother's house where it's being held. They walk through Misty's house going out to the backyard where people have already gathered.

Magenta takes in all the cute decorations with a smile. On the invitation it was described as a luxury picnic, but it's basically a bougie cookout. There's low-seated tables filled with gorgeous flowers and tons of floor cushions and pillows in soft pinks.

They also set up a cocktail lounge, self-service bar, a styled dessert station, and the large projector screen that's usually used for backyard movie nights plays videos and pictures of the couple. It's simple yet still luxurious.

Gen and Gee walk in holding hands to a warm welcome. Magenta's eyes scan around the cheering faces making sure no one who isn't supposed to be here showed up. Really the only person she asked not to be invited is Felicity.

She's glad when she doesn't see her sister. Gen doesn't care if she saw in the blogs that Tink filed to annul her marriage to Caprice.

She hugs her mother and Misty making sure to thank them for hosting. Gen's still in her mother's embrace as Choice comes up to complain, "Damn, you ain't do all this for me and Inandi." Gen knew he would. Tempest didn't do this for him or Felicity.

"Good thing I didn't waste my money because it's over now. Mama knows best," Temp grabs his chin shaking his head. He jerks away and she laughs.

"What happened to consoling your broken hearted son?"

"You'll be aiight." Magenta continues greeting people glad to see so many people genuinely happy for them.

Once most of the guests have arrived the party starts. As one of the hosts, Tempest stands in front of everyone to make a toast and say, "I've seen my daughter in a few relationships... But this one, this is the kind of love we all want. Y'all are blessed to have each other. King and Queen Energy. Let's celebrate that love!"

The events in full motion as they play cute engagement themed games. Because it was Magenta's birthday people brought gifts for her to open if they didn't already give them to her on the day of.

"This is an engagement gift," Pandora smiles as Gen begins to open the box.

"You didn't have to." She doesn't even know the etiquette. Do they get gifts at all these events leading up to the wedding? She's not complaining if they do.

"Of course I did considering I'm going to be the maid of honor," P pops her tongue wearing pride in it. Magenta laughs because she hasn't even got to ask yet. Gen plans on coming up with a cute gift to ask all her bridesmaids.

"When exactly do you plan on this wedding taking place?" Misty asks out of curiosity.

She shrugs. "I just got engaged. Can I take it all in?" She chuckles.

"Well, take it in fast. We're ready to start planning. We can help with everything," Tempest motions to Misty. "I'm sure y'all don't have to save up too much money. You can have it by the top of next year in January."

Gen nods giving an overwhelmed sigh. "I'll think about it." She would like to be finished with the Caprice trial and have her business running smoothly before walking down the aisle. She's hoping this trial is over by September as planned.

She continues opening presents when Gee walks over to her saying, "I know you already opened your stuff from me on the actual day, but I have one more thing."

"What?" She asks confused.

Seeing Choice coming her way carrying a miniature dollhouse she already smiles with excitement. Attendees might be wondering why he's getting her grown ass a dollhouse, but it's her newest hobby. Her new thing is building, decorating, and collecting them.

He makes fun of her calling her an old lady, but she loves it. The little rooms with furniture and how some of the stuff really works. This one's big with multiple floors and she can tell it's a pricey one.

"This is so cute!" She shows gratitude before even knowing the full extent of the gift. It could've been a penny and she'd be this excited.

Choice sits it down on the table and she notices glitter sprinkled on it. "Wishing dust," she chuckles because 13 Going On 30 is one of her favorite movies, which is where it came from. It's what made her want a mini dollhouse in the first place.

She notices there's a little card that says, I want to build a home with you. It takes a second then realization flashes over her face. Gee hands over the paperwork from a home builders company showing a plot of land was purchased with options for building plans. They had been eyeing a place, but hadn't made a move yet to purchase. They both made it clear it's their dream location. It's outside the city limits of Houston with enough land for that ranch they always speak about.

"We got it?!"

"We got it," he repeats as she jumps in his arms hugging him. They had been waiting to hear back and Gee got the news at a perfect time to surprise her.

Before they were even engaged they both said they'd be intentional about their lives together. They want to build, plan, and grow.

Gee has always had a tendency to take the lead and she's more than happy to let him call the shots. Gen doesn't mind not having to deal with any serious decision-making since she strongly regards and esteems his opinion. It's what works for them.

He's the first man who made her want to seriously settle down. She went from not trusting or wanting to rely on a man due daddy issues to the complete opposite. It's because he's reliable and provides stability that allows her to fulfill her dreams and live out her life, without so many extreme and ups and downs.

Sitting in the gazebo in the corner of the backyard, Gen and Gee have drawn away from the party to have a moment alone.

They share a box of Sour Patch Kids watching Tempest and Misty 2-stepping to Wifey by Next. You could've sworn they practiced this for hours as they're in-sync with every move spinning and twirling one another.

The two women have become close since Misty moved to Texas. They've been doing all types of stuff from going on trips, to clubs, bars, lounges, concerts, comedy shows, cookouts, even double dates. Every time you check Facebook they're on the town for the weekend. It's cute, especially because Misty needed to get out after Genaro's death.

"I can't believe you still don't eat the orange ones," Gee picks them out to eat himself. "You're grown."

"Are my taste buds supposed to change because I'm older?" She chuckles.

"Actually, yeah. I like a lot of stuff I didn't before. Just try it," he holds one towards her.

"Nuh-uh," She sucks the sour stuff off a green one.

She smiles suddenly making Gee ask, "What?"

"We're really doing everything we talked about."

"I was scared you were going to say no," he admits as they hold hands.

"Really? Nah," her nose curls up. "Never." She leans in kissing him, but after a few seconds she pulls back saying, "I can taste the orange Sour Patches."

He chuckles at her turned up face saying, "You're the one who stuck your tongue in my mouth. Always trying to jump my bones."

Oh, please. Look at them," she nudges Gee and motions to Pandora and Colby on the makeshift dance floor.

As soon as Jux arrived Pandora lit up. She couldn't even hide it. P has officially retired her playa card when it comes to Jux. He was gonna get the smitten, cutesy Pandora every time.

As if they know they're being talked about Pandora and Colby walk over. "You mind if we leave to go talk?"

"Noo, go ahead. Talk and then some," Gen smirks shooing them.

"Aiight. Congratulations!" Pandora hugs them before they walk off.

A few hours later most people are gone after the get together. Magenta and Gee are still at Misty's helping them clean up everything. That's until she gets a call from Pandora making them leave to her place immediately...

When they pull up there's multiple police car and an ambulance. Gee barely has the car in park before she's flying out of the car. Gen goes under the police tape towards Pandora who's being questioned by an officer.

"What happened?" she hugs P.

"Someone broke in. A home invasion. I killed one of them," her eyes shift to a white sheet covering a body with markers around it.

"Where's Jux? I thought he left with you," Gen looks around not seeing him.

"He got shot in the arm. They took him to the hospital in an ambulance."

Gee's just now walking up and he looks around taking the scene in. The police officer walks away making him comfortable enough to ask, "Who was it? Do you know?"

"It was two white men."

"White?"

"I don't think this has anything to do with those guys at the club," Pandora shakes her head.

"Why would you think it's the guys connected to Big Bleak?"

"I know Choice said he sat down with them, but I figured they went back on their word. I noticed people following me for awhile. That's why I was spending so much time in Miami at my other store. I figured I'd let it blow over... I knew I should've stayed away from Jux. He got shot because of me."

"He'll be okay, I'm sure. We can go to the hospital."

"It doesn't have anything to do with Bleak's people," Gee mumbles making them look confused. He motions for them to come and they get in his car.

"Who?" He ignores her question dialing a number. "Who're you calling?"

"Destin." Gee's stoic as the phone rings. Of course he doesn't answer so Gee leaves a voicemail. "I was just calling to let you know I'm done. I won't dig into it anymore. I know that Kross killed my father and he's dead now. I'm content with that. I don't need to know why or who else was involved. I get the message. You can quit sending people after us..."

__________

Gee finding out Kross was the last person to see his father & why he killed him?

Gee doing grief counseling? Do you think Seven will sit back & let Gee figure out his plan for Destin & Reuben?

An intruder coming into Pandora's house? Her killing one?

Comment / Vote💫

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83 1 20
He's her whole world. No one understands him like she does. They're a perfect match. Too bad he doesn't know she exists.
22 4 14
Heartbreak, torn apart, brought together, "You will always be the love of my life, even when we are no longer in each other's" A story of that the l...
352K 22.2K 141
He loves her with every fiber of his being, but even then he leaves her brokenhearted... Her heart no longer beats for him, yet she can't see him bro...