Road to Ba Sing Se | Zuko

Da Mntngft

Travelling by oneself is challenging, even more so as an outlaw. No one knows this better than Keya, a wander... Altro

00
❃ Character Info ❃
PART I
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
PART II
19
20
21
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
PART III
39
40
41
42
43
44

22

882 40 3
Da Mntngft

A Consideration of Truth

The next morning, Iroh had a bit of extra trouble waking up the two teenagers in his care. For a reason unknown to him, his nephew seemed extra grumpy at breakfast. Even Keya was unusually quiet! Had they not slept for long? For a very brief moment, he suspected that their reluctant friendship had escalated to something far more... indecent. However, when he entered the living room and saw the letter on their table, that thought was quickly expelled from his mind. It didn't take the old General long to put together what the two teens had actually been busy with the night before. That said, it didn't mean that he couldn't tease them a little bit.

"So, I see that the two of you have been busy last night?" He smiled and gave both teens a friendly pat on the back.

To his surprise, his nephew choked on the tea he had been drinking and spluttered. Wait, did something actually happen? "What are you talking about uncle? Nothing happened!"

"Zuko- err, I mean, Lee- was friendly enough to help me write my letter for my family. It ended up taking a bit longer than expected... I couldn't exactly find the right words." Keya explained with a nervous smile on her face.

Iroh looked at the two of them, the way they both gave him nervous, innocuous smiles. The sneaking suspicion arose in him that something more had happened. Yet, with the remnants of Keya's letter still on the table, what evidence did he have? Iroh decided to drop the subject. He could probably tease the answer out of his nephew later anyway. Besides, he was rather pleased to learn that Zuko had helped the girl. She had a good influence on him, it seemed.

"Good to see that my nephew was so helpful!" He smiled. "Perhaps travelling with a young lady has finally taught him some manners."

Zuko scowled at him and rolled his eyes. "I'm perfectly well-mannered when I want to be, uncle."

"Yeah, 'when you want to be', that's the problem." Keya snickered and finished her breakfast, ignoring Zuko's sarcastic eye-roll. She quickly got up and left for the washroom to get dressed. She knew that neither man would ever dare intrude in their shared sleeping area when they knew she was changing her clothes, but the girl didn't want to risk any awkward accidents. In the meantime, Iroh made sure to clean up the remnants of their breakfast.

Zuko plopped himself on the couch in the living room as he waited for his uncle and Keya impatiently. The teenager thought about his growing attachment to the girl with mild concern. Sure, he thought, they were becoming close now, but what would happen once she found out who he really was? Would she still be so kind if she knew that he was the heir to the empire that she detested so much? He wasn't too sure what he should do. At first, he was certain that he could hide it until she left them again. But now? Now, he was sure that they were going to live together for another couple of weeks until her family arrived in Ba Sing Se. Surely it was best if he brought up the topic of his royal heritage now? After all, she knew that he was a firebender already, what was the worst that could happen?

Zuko sat up. His pale fingers grasped the dark tufts of his hair tightly in frustration. What was the worst that could happen?! Really? She could freak out and do something rash! Or even worse, she could leave! The poor unknowing teenager sighed dejectedly and rested his chin in the palm of his calloused hand. Iroh heard him and turned around.

"What is it, son? You look conflicted." His warm eyes sparkled with mischief. "Are you worried that Miss Keya- 'Jun' will not reciprocate your feelings for her?"

Zuko's eyes widened in offence at the accusation. He stood up and hurriedly explained himself. "Wh-what, no! Uncle, you don't know what you're talking about. I don't have any... that's not even the point- Ugh, has all that tea you've been brewing fogged up your mind?" He sank back down into the couch. His hands hid his red face diligently as he slouched back, his mind was now both conflicted and embarrassed. Iroh raised an eyebrow at the sight.

"Then, what is it?" He asked.

A single finger lifted from the teen's face, revealing his scarred, golden eye as he looked at the old man. Zuko said something, but his raspy voice came out muffled through his hands.

"I cannot hear you with those hands in front of your mouth. Speak up if you want your old uncle to understand." Iroh walked over to his nephew and sat down at the table next to the couch.

"I was thinking of telling her about... me. As in, who I am. Who... my father is..." Zuko spoke carefully, ever paranoid of someone eavesdropping on their conversation.

Iroh tried to hide the way his eyebrows raised in surprise. Of course! Zuko didn't know that Keya knew! The old man scratched his beard thoughtfully as his nephew observed him anxiously, desperate for some wise advice.

If Zuko found out that he had already told Keya, he might get upset... Iroh wasn't too fond of being on his nephew's bad side. Besides, this might be good for the two of them. Was Zuko really prepared to open up to the girl? The thought lifted his spirits. Iroh realised at that moment, that if anything ever happened to him, he could count on Keya to be there for his dear nephew.

"Well?" Zuko asked impatiently. "Should I tell her?"

"Hmmm..." Iroh answered thoughtfully. "If you believe you are ready, then I highly recommend it." He smiled. He felt proud of his nephew for even considering taking this step. It was a step towards something more wholesome than the dark path that he had been set on by his father.

Zuko frowned. "But don't you think she'll have another... reaction? Like the time she found out about our 'skills'?" 

The selfish Prince was truly considering someone else's needs (beside his uncle's) for once. Iroh's smile broadened even further. What a surprise! He wanted to further encourage the boy.

"She didn't know you then, and neither did you know her -not like you do now, at least. Do you think that she has it in her to hear you out?" Speaking so much wisdom was making the old man thirst for some tea. Sadly, they didn't have any time to make it before having to go to work. Thankfully he worked at a tea shop... Ah, what a life to live...

Zuko took his time to think over his uncle's question. Did she have it in her to hear him out? He pondered the girl's character for a moment. The way she defended him back at the monorail station... the way she still spoke to him, even after his outburst back at the abandoned shack... If she didn't like him, she would have left, right?

She almost did. His inner voice taunted him. When she found out about the firebending, she ran off. She only stuck around because she was brought back and was too sick to run off again. Then again, even when she became better, she still stuck around! Only because she was going in that direction anyway... She had no other choice in the matter.

Should he really tell her?

"What are you two gossiping about?" Keya's sudden appearance startled the uncle-nephew duo. Zuko's eyes widened when they took in the girl before him. He stood up straight and cleared his throat, but no words came out.

Gone was the dirty cloak that she often wore during their journey. The faded brown trousers that she always sported were no longer combined with her equally worn tunic shirt. Instead, her petite frame was draped in a simple, green qipao with long sleeves. Its collar went up just above the bottom of her neck and was clasped closed on the side of her chest. One peculiar detail was that, rather than reach all the way down to her ankles (which would be expected with a qipao -meaning 'long dress'), this particular garment stopped right around her knees. Beneath the dress, she still wore her old, loose trousers. Although she had tried to emulate the modern updo's that the pretty girls in the city wore, her wild locks just wouldn't allow it. Instead, she had opted for a low braid to keep her hair out of her face as she worked. Despite her foreign looks, the girl from Yulin village instantly looked like a regular Ba Sing Se citizen. Zuko had to remind himself to close his mouth at the sight. Thankfully, his uncle was there to save him from embarrassment.

"You look lovely, dear. Where did you get the new clothes?" Iroh asked. His question had an instant effect, the girl no longer wondered what they had just been talking about. Keya wrung her hands together and blushed.

"Oh, thank you!" She gave the two men a shy smile. "I got these yesterday during my break. But don't worry! One of the customers told me where to get it for a good price. I used my tip money to pay for it." She assured them. Due to the dress's short length, the shop keeper had let her buy it for a much cheaper price.

"You must have done a good job, then, to afford a dress with tips!" Iroh laughed with a friendly twinkle in his eye. Zuko was surprised as well. How had she managed to get tipped so well? He hadn't made more than a few extra copper coins.

"I think they gave me more because I looked so poor... one customer even offered to buy something for me! I refused, of course. My brother Hun always warned me against such people..."

Zuko sighed. That's why. She was a pretty girl with a beautiful smile, of course dirty old men would try to take advantage of that. He knew now that he needed to keep an eye out for her while they worked. "You're too trusting of strangers. Those guys were being creeps." He grumbled.

Keya shrugged defensively. "I just told you that I didn't accept their offer! But who am I to refuse tips?"

"Just..." Zuko frowned and looked out of the window as he spoke. "...be careful. If any of those guys try something, don't hesitate to come and get me."

"What? So that you can scowl them into submission?" Keya's sarcastic tone didn't hide the affection she held for him. The unsocial Prince didn't notice the playful sparkle in her eye. He scowled at her.

"I'll do what I must." He frowned and crossed his arms. "Uncle, do you think that our boss would allow me to keep my dual swords behind the counter?"

Iroh, who had been trying to stay out of their little 'spat', suddenly found himself in the spotlight. "I-I don't think that-" He spluttered, but was quickly cut off by the girl next to him.

"Ugh, stop being so dramatic! We work at a tea shop! This isn't some battleground where you have to 'save the Princess'." She accentuated the last part with finger quotes. Zuko balled up his fists in response, trying desperately to keep his temper in check. Didn't she see that he was trying to protect her?! Why was she being so... difficult!

"Fine!" He pointed his finger at her face. "But don't expect me to save you if one of those creeps try anything."

"Fine!" Keya pointed her own finger back at him mockingly. "I wasn't going to ask you to do so anyway."

Iroh quickly stepped in between the two teenagers with his arms stretched out. "Alright, you two. This was enough bickering for now. If we stand here any longer, we'll be late for work. Come on now, let's get going! And leave the swords at home!" He ushered the two out with his hands. Both Zuko and Keya grumbled and stubbornly scowled at one another as they reluctantly followed their older companion.

Although their little spat had officially been ended by Iroh, the two still continued to give each other dirty looks in secret during their long shift. Keya would continue to give all her guests a friendly smile while Zuko's eyes glanced at her occasionally, ready to catch anyone with bad intentions. All their customers were friendly, though.

They worked hard and served tea to more customers than they could count. Pao was more satisfied than ever. Having dependable staff gave him the time and money he needed to spend more time at his desk, rather than brewing and serving tea all by himself. It seemed that Iroh's tea brewing skills were successfully bringing in more and more customers each day. He was planning on compensating the man more, before another tea shop owner could snatch him up for themselves.

There was also another factor that brought in new customers: Pao's new tea servers. 'Jun from the tea shop' and her male counterpart 'Lee' were both teens with interesting foreign looks. Jun seemed rather popular among young soldiers and guards, since her friendly smile and good service could put anyone in a good mood. And although Lee had a large scar on his face, often worn together with an angsty scowl, the ladies of Ba Sing Se thrilled to have such a mysterious man serve them.

"This is the best tea in the city!" A satisfied guard smiled as Iroh personally poured him some more tea. Keya was busy with a couple of customers at the front of the shop. She stood beside the door as she led them to a nearby table.

"The secret ingredient is love." Iroh told the customer as he was approached by Pao.

"I think you're due for a raise." He said happily with his hands clasped before him. 

The guard nodded in agreement, flattering the old man who served him. Iroh was about to thank his employer, when the shop's door suddenly slammed open. All heads turned in alarm at the disturbance. Jet stood at the entrance with an accusatory finger ready at his command. The boy bristled and heaved, as if having run all the way across the city to get there. His sharp eyes glistened as they came across his prey. 

It was now or never.

"I'm tired of waiting!" His voice roared and echoed throughout the quiet room. Everyone waited with baited breath to hear what the terrorising teenager had to say.

Jet pointed one of his hooked swords at Keya threateningly, the other pointing at Zuko and Iroh on the other side of the room. "These two men are firebenders! And they're holding this girl hostage!"

A/N: Oh-oh! Is he going to tell her? What is Jet going to do? Read more to find out ;)

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

125K 3.4K 37
Kya is now taken captive to the Fire Nation and faced with choosing herself over her beliefs. Siding with Azula for a better chance at survival Kya s...
83.2K 3.2K 20
alrighty, I am really excited for this one! It is the second in the series and follows Book Two: Earth in Avatar: the Last Airbender. I will give a c...
Balance Da Lucy

Fanfiction

93K 3.6K 27
❝I want to tell you the tale of a girl frozen in ice and time, of how she⎯and her friends⎯were able to save this world, and bring balance back to us...
35.3K 1K 48
When Katara, Princess of the Southern Water Tribe, who never believed in love crosses paths with Aang, Air Nomad and Avatar from the Southern Air Tem...