Mandalorian Menace

By CourtesyTrefflin

Something shifts in the air around them, and the next thing Din Djarin knows, he and Grogu are... still in Mo... More

Chapter 1 - Skywalker
Chapter 2 - Questions and Answers
Chapter 3 - By Creed
Chapter 4 - In the Mind
Chapter 5 - Family
Chapter 6 - Jetii
Chapter 7 - An Accord
Chapter 8 - Paths
Chapter 9 - Departure
Chapter 10 - Enroute
Chapter 11 - Coruscant
Chapter 12 - Goodbye
Chapter 13 - Naboo
Chapter 14 - Takeback
Chapter 15 - War
Chapter 16 - Revelations
Chapter 18 - Hostilities
Chapter 19 - Finale
Epilogue

Chapter 17 - Decisions

1.1K 41 41
By CourtesyTrefflin

Author's Note: Two notes to answer comments/questions from several readers. One, yes, there are two Darksabers in this timeline now. Two, no, Plagueis is not alive. It's unknown when he died in canon, according to every single source I've seen, but if Maul was a Sith apprentice and had the title "Darth" (which he did in the PT as far as I know), then Plagueis would have died before Maul became an apprentice. So, he's been dead for while. :) 

If you want something where Plagueis actually survives... well, I've got an idea in my head which I'm planning to (hopefully) start releasing in January. Earlier if I finish it faster. ^-^

Also, I have no regrets for the cliffhanger. *evil grin* 

PS. There is Mando'a in here, and I put all the translations at the end. Let me know if I missed anything! ^-^

~ Amina Gila

The room Eirtae leads them to is... well, it's nothing like anything Din has been in before, but then again, they are in a Palace. The luxury is obvious. It was different in the Queen's chambers because she was the Queen. This is not something Din is used to, and he's almost afraid to be here, lest he ruin something. Not that it would happen because he's not careless, but still.

The silence seems awkward and strained at first as they look around, especially since Din can almost feel the questions and thoughts buzzing around in Shmi's and Anakin's minds. "I considered telling you," Din says finally, if only to get this conversation over with, "But I didn't think it even mattered, really." He sets Grogu down on a plush couch – or tries to anyways, because the kid whines when Din starts to let go, so instead, he sits down, holding Grogu in his lap. Apparently, the talk about Palpatine has left Grogu unsettled and fearful. Unsurprising.

That demagolka. Din would love nothing more than to kill him himself for what he did. Revenge is the way of Mandalorians, and Palpatine hurt his foundlings. ... He might hurt them. He hasn't done anything to them yet other than threatening them, which is bad enough. Obviously, that dar'jetii doesn't know much about Mandalorians. There is little a Mandalorian parent wouldn't do to protect their child and killing someone who threatens them is definitely on that list.

"I understand," Shmi answers, seeming very uncomfortable with her surroundings. Anakin, Din notices, is the same. He can't blame them. They aren't used to luxury or places like this. They were slaves for most/all of their lives. Even he is having a hard time adjusting, and he already knows that he wants to leave as soon as possible. It will be nice to find their own home which suits their needs, so they have a better place to stay. "It doesn't make a difference to me."

"Even though, at this point in time, I haven't been born?" Din returns, half-teasing.

Shmi laughs at that. "Even then."

"It is strange to think about though," Anakin admits. "I'm glad it happened."

Din feels affection swell, and he lets it wash over him. "Me too." For all that he misses the people he used to know, especially with the knowledge that he'll never see them again, he is... happier here. It helps that Grogu won't be in danger here, not with the Republic still existing. Once they deal with Palpatine, none of them will need to worry anymore.

"Do you think the Jedi will change their minds about training Anakin?" Shmi queries.

Din shrugs slightly. "Doubtful. They are... very particular about their rules. I wasn't even allowed to see Grogu when I went to check on him."

"That's not right," Shmi maintains before looking at her son. "Ani, do you want to learn to control your powers?"

"Yes," he answers instantly.

"I can probably find someone else who isn't a Jetii," Din points out. "Qui-Gon offered to train him against their Council's wishes, but I'm not really comfortable with that. I'm not sure what their rules are and causing problems with the Jetii... that isn't something I want to deal with."

"I feel the same," Shmi concurs.

Grogu perks up suddenly, reaching one hand out to Anakin, while the other continues holding tightly to Din. Anakin lets the kid grab one of his fingers to establish a connection between them. Din will never get used to seeing his foundlings using Jetii magic to communicate. Anakin gives Grogu a wide-eyed look. "You can?" he asks incredulously. "That is so wizard!"

Din tilts his head to look at Anakin, waiting for him to explain. Anakin doesn't disappoint. "Grogu thinks he could teach me some basics about the Force, at least what he knows so far."

Shmi and Din exchange looks. "That sounds good," she says at last. "It's probably not ideal, but it's better than nothing." Din firmly agrees.

***

The discussion with the Jedi Council is as long as Qui-Gon had predicted. Needless to say, the Council was less than thrilled to hear the news, though they did eventually accept that the Sith had returned. With the Zabrak – Maul, Gunray said his name was – having been confirmed as a Sith, and with Palpatine presumably being his master, Sidious, it is crucial that the Jedi act before it's too late.

Although it may be a while before it becomes "too late," based on the information that Mando shared with them all. It's unfortunate that the Mandalorian doesn't seem to have any firsthand knowledge of the future, although he clearly knows – knew – a number of people who did. Still, they'll have to make do with what they do know, not that it will matter much if they succeed in taking Palpatine out.

The entire Council unanimously decided that they need to kill Palpatine before he destroys them and the galaxy. Leaving him alive is far too dangerous of a risk. It's to their fortune that they have evidence of his involvement in the Trade Federation blockade of Naboo. They'll probably obtain even more evidence when they can look through Palpatine's dealings unimpeded. And with the Queen's support, they can formulate a plan which will leave him none the wiser until the Jedi make their move. Qui-Gon will have to run the plan through her, but first, he wants to contact someone he hasn't spoken to in years, someone who has a chance of helping them defeat the Sith Master.

His heart is pounding a little faster than normal when he enters the frequency and waits. It isn't that long, surprisingly, before it connects, and a hologram of Count Dooku appears. His old master looks different, Qui-Gon notices, and he feels momentarily guilty for not speaking to him for so long. There's a pause of silence as the two look at each other.

"You look well," Dooku says at last, breaking the awkward quiet.

Qui-Gon nods in acknowledgement of the words. "I have discovered something troubling. The Sith have returned."

"Have they, now?" Dooku's voice is toneless, betraying nothing, and Qui-Gon wonders if he should tell him about the Mandalorian, about the future which will likely unfold if they do nothing or if they fail.

"You were once one of the best duelists of the Order, Dooku. You can help us take down the Sith Master when we go after him," he proposes.

"You know who he is?" The genuine surprise – and shock? – in Dooku's voice is unmistakable.

"Yes, and the Jedi will destroy him." Of that Qui-Gon is confident.

"You will die." The Count seems unbothered by that prospect, speaking as if it's a certainty, rather than a mere possibility.

"If that is to be my fate." Nothing can change the Jedi Master's mind on this. His own life is meaningless if he watches the galaxy spiral into chaos and fall apart the way Mando told them it would. "He has caused much harm, and he will continue to do worse. He will destroy the galaxy as we know it and cause irreparable destruction."

Dooku raises an eyebrow, unfazed. "You speak as if you know that for a fact."

Qui-Gon hesitates, unsure how much he can – or should – reveal, even to Dooku. "I do," he finally confirms. "There is someone who has... come from another time. It sounds impossible, and yet, everything we've been told is adding up." He even asked about Grogu and got a confirmation that there is a baby at the Temple of Yoda's species who is called Grogu. That isn't a coincidence.

Now, it's Dooku's turn to pause. "I should like to see this person for myself."

"You can if you come help us take down Sidious." Qui-Gon isn't beneath using a potential meeting with Mando as an incentive to convince Dooku to come to their aid. They need all the best fighters they can get, and he knows that he'll feel much better if he knows that Dooku is there to help them.

"He is too strong for you," Dooku replies, shaking his head.

But Qui-Gon has long been stubborn. He stood up to the Council and toed the line so frequently that he oft suspects they're relieved when he's away on missions or on leave or otherwise unable to argue with them. "My life is a worthy cost if it means that the galaxy, and Alderaan, will endure," he argues.

"What do you mean?" Dooku frowns, obviously confused.

Just the question he was hoping his old master would ask. "In the future, the Sith were responsible for the destruction of Alderaan," he explains. "There's nothing left of it. The Empire he will form has caused untold suffering. The Jedi are all gone, dead. It's not a world I will allow to come into being if I can do something to stop it."

Dooku is quiet for so long that Qui-Gon begins to wonder if something happened to the connection. Finally, he replies. "Since you insist on this course of action, I will aid you. Where are you now?"

"Naboo," he answers, relief washing over him. "I'm on Naboo, and we will hopefully take Sidious down here as well."

"Very well," Dooku nods before the connection is broken without so much as a goodbye. Qui-Gon doesn't mind though. It's enough to know that Dooku will be coming to help.

***

It's late afternoon, maybe an hour before sunset, when Sache comes to get Din for the meeting with the Queen. It took longer than he had anticipated, but at least that gave him – and the others – a chance to relax and recover from the battle. Though he'd thought the meeting would be sooner, he's not really surprised. She is the Queen, and she does, undoubtedly, have many things to oversee, not least of which is drafting a treaty with the Trade Federation and signing it before the Senate or anyone else can intervene.

Din is led to the Queen's chambers again, though there are fewer people in the room than there was earlier. Qui-Gon starts by telling them about the Jetii Council's decision. They want Palpatine dead, and they're willing to send their best duelists to guarantee it. But for any of it to work, Palpatine will have to be on Naboo.

Padme is silent for a long moment when he finishes speaking; she's dressed like the Queen she is now, and even though Din can easily see the girl beneath the makeup and clothes, he can also see the regal way she carries herself. "I think," she says in Amidala's voice, "That we can all agree that Palpatine needs to be dealt with as expeditiously as possible. I do not support giving him the death penalty without any trial, and the death penalty does not exist on Naboo anyways. If he was convicted, he would be imprisoned. Tell me, Master Jedi, do you think it would be possible to keep him contained if we were to capture him?"

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan look at one another for a moment. "He is a Sith; he will not be contained in normal prisons," Qui-Gon tells her. "The Jedi have special confinement cells for dangerous Force users, but the trick would be capturing him without killing him. He will not go down without a fight. Killing him will likely be the only way to save lives."

Padme doesn't look surprised. "It is as I had expected then," she states, "But I had to ask. I think our plan is relatively straightforward then. I will call him back to Naboo to celebrate our victory over the Trade Federation. I will invite the Jedi as well, and then, you will confront and eliminate him in a secure location to minimize collateral damage. I am not in favor of killing him, even though he committed treason and betrayed our planet, but I see no other option. And fear not. He is a Nubian citizen and explaining this to the public will be easier than if he had been Chancellor."

Din wholeheartedly agrees. In fact, now that he thinks about it, could it be that Palpatine orchestrated all of this, in part, so he could become Chancellor? It sounds ludicrous, but not... necessarily wrong, given everything they already know about Palpatine, given everything he knows about Palpatine. And the man was Chancellor before becoming Emperor, though Din isn't clear on the specifics.

"Are there any objections?" No one speaks, so Padme takes that as a negative. "Very well. I'm sure you all have duties to which you must attend." Which means that she does, no doubt, but she's being diplomatic about it. And so, plans finalized, everyone parts ways.

***

Obi-Wan hurries to catch up to Mando as they leave the Queen's quarters. "Mando, can I talk to you?" he calls, falling in step next to him.

Mando glances around before stepping to the side of the hallway next a massive column. "Yes?"

Obi-Wan gets straight to the point. He didn't spend a year on Mandalore for nothing. He knows some of the most important things about Mandalorian culture. "You have the Darksaber."

"I do."

One thing he's definitely noticed is that Mando doesn't really talk much unless he has to. "Don't you know what that means?" he queries. "What that makes you?"

Mando sighs audibly. "It means I am to lead Mandalore. I don't want to do that though. Besides, there is another Darksaber here. Whoever has it can lead in my stead."

Well, fair enough, Obi-Wan supposes. He can't quite wrap his mind around the fact that Mando time traveled, but it doesn't not make sense. It certainly fits in with the strange Force disturbance that he – and Qui-Gon – sensed around the duo. For whatever reason, the Force wanted them to be here, so here they are, whether for better or worse. Hopefully better.

And well, Obi-Wan knows that Satine is now the Duchess of Mandalore, but she doesn't have the Darksaber, obviously. He doesn't actually know who does, because he never saw it while he was there, but he did hear about it. He knows why it's important. "I don't know who has it now," he admits, "But I did spend a year on Mandalore protecting the Duchess."

Mando looks at him for a while. "Duchess Satine? She is not Mando'ade." He sounds almost disdainful. "She broke the Creed, and she paid for it with her life."

Obi-Wan's heart practically stops. "She's killed."

Mando tilts his head. "So I heard. I never went to Mandalore, so I don't know. It doesn't matter to me. It didn't then, and it doesn't now. I have no intention of leading Mandalore. Is your question answered, Jetii?"

It's not rude, per se, just a bit brusque. But that is the way Mandalorians are – or can be, so Obi-Wan isn't offended. "I – yes, thank you. I was just curious," he replies, stepping back and letting Mando go before he says something else which he might regret.

He hates the disregard that Mando has for Satine. He hasn't thought of her in a while, or he's tried not to anyways, but he's always respected her for being able to make such drastic changes to her planet which go against everything in Mandalorian tradition. She thought it would be the only way her people would endure. Perhaps she was right... even if Mando doesn't seem to think so. Either way, he's somewhat relieved that Mando has no intention of going to Mandalore and declaring himself leader. If he did... Obi-Wan doesn't know what he would do.

***

Given how busy the Queen must be, Din is more than a little surprised when Padme shows up in the quarters which he and his aliit are staying in. "Can I come in?"

He stops staring, stepping back from the door. "Of course."

She's alone, dressed like a handmaid, and it's dark enough outside by now that he suspects she must be planning to retire for the night fairly soon since she's here. "I wanted to see how you were," she says, obviously not feeling any of the uneasiness or uncertainty which he himself does. "I wanted to thank you for everything you've done for Naboo. We wouldn't have made it without you."

"Helping people is what we do. This is the Way," he answers.

"This is the Way," Anakin echoes quietly from behind him, which makes him smile.

"Is there anything I can do for you? Anything I can do to repay you?" Padme asks.

Din hesitates. "Anakin and Shmi still have their slave chips, though they have been deactivated. I would like to have them removed some time, but I don't have the resources or funds yet."

Padme's eyes dart towards mother and son before she looks back at him and nods. "I can have that taken care of tomorrow," she offers. "What are your plans when this is over?"

Din shrugs one shoulder. "We might stay on Naboo... though I would not be here all the time. I am a bounty hunter. I doubt that there will be much work for me here."

She laughs and shakes her head. "No, not really. May I talk to Anakin for a moment?"

"Of course." He steps back from the door, moving further into the main room of their apartment, giving Anakin and Padme some privacy to speak.

"I heard about what you did," Padme says to Anakin, a soft smile on her face. "Flying into a space battle like that was very dangerous, but you saved us. Thank you."

Anakin grins up at her, and Din can see the affection and happiness sparkling in his bright blue eyes. "This is the Way," he chirps.

Din can't help but chuckle quietly at that. Anakin is really picking up a lot of Mando'a culture, and he likes that. The boy wants to be like him so badly and its equal parts touching and terrifying. "Waa!" cheers Grogu, delightedly, the closest he's actually come to saying a word – presumably.

"I'll be delighted to have you staying on Naboo with us," Padme replies, still smiling, tousling Anakin's hair affectionately.

"We will stay," Din assures her, "Once we find a place."

She brightens. "I can ask Yane to help you with that. I think she might enjoy it. Or Sache. Once this is all over, we'll have plenty of time to deal with everything else."

Din wholeheartedly agrees.

***

The darkness is choking, smothering, overwhelming. His vision is fading in and out, as if static is somehow stopping him from seeing properly. But Anakin can still make out a few vague details, which slowly sharpen into focus, even if reality is blurred around the edges.

Buir is lying prone on the marble floor, injured but alive, a dark-hooded figure standing over him, maimed and dead bodies sprawled around the room. "Die, Mandalorian trash," sneers the dar'jetii. He raises his hands, lightning leaping from his fingertips – that's possible?! – and Buir cries out as he's engulfed by electricity.

With a jolt, Anakin wakes up. 

Mando'a Translations:

demagolka - someone who commits atrocities, a real-life monster, a war criminal (from the notorious Mandalorian scientist of the Old Republic, Demagol, known for his experiments on children, and a figure of hate and dread in the Mando psyche)

dar'jetii - Sith (literally: not Jedi)

Jetii - Jedi

Mando'ade - Mandalorian (literally, sons/daughters of Mandalore)

aliit - family, clan

buir - father, mother

Final Notes: If you want to join our Discord to receive updates or just hang out, here's the invite link, and please delete the spaces! :) discord . gg / nqSxuz2

We also have a tumblr account (and delete the spaces): fanfictasia . tumblr . com

And! We have a YT channel for tributes! Please delete the spaces in the link. :D youtube . com / channel / UC_g1M5rSCxJUzQCRS29B6pA

Finally, if you're interested, you can submit a SW gift fic request via the following form (delete the spaces): forms . gle / rmXWtRomMMaULuPa6

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 49 15
One small change can have drastic consequences. Unexpectedly cast out of the Order, Anakin stumbles upon a strange machine which casts him into anoth...
9.6K 255 20
When Luke Skywalker is sent to the past, he ends up in the middle of the last skirmish before the Battle of Coruscant. He is fast running out of time...
1.4K 47 5
Unexpected visions of a possible future which are granted to a select handful, throw the Jedi Order into chaos. Anakin is arrested and imprisoned, th...
779 31 5
At night, Vader dreams of an alternate reality where Anakin raised Luke and Leia, and he wants it, wants them. He's determined to do whatever he must...