CHAMPAGNE PROBLEMS [BRIDGERTO...

By -stfurose

she would've made such a lovely bride, what a shame she's fucked in the head. [BRIDGERTON SEASON 1] COVER BY... More

champagne problems.
graphic gallery.
prologue.
one.
two.
three.
four.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
nine.
ten.
eleven.
twelve.
fourteen.

thirteen.

2.7K 161 38
By -stfurose

╔═══*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╗

𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧: 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠
𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝.

╚═══*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╝

PRESENT DAY 

Dearest sister,

Alice has informed me of the recent events. She is not. . .elated with your reaction to her marriage and her family. I too am not elated with my two sisters quarrelling. I am most certain that you of all people is not celebrating our Alice's achievements. 

Alice wrote to me a year ago; she had asked for counsel on how to reveal everything to you. Gussie, she revealed the marriage to me first. I firmly warned her that I would swim across the ocean and shoot the bastard that ruined her innocence. Fortunately, Alice had made it clear that they had fallen in love first then decided to get married. She was so worried and horrified that she might have disappointed you. Henry tells me Alice has been sobbing every night since they had arrived in Mayfair.

Henry supports her passion for the arts; he paid for her art lessons and the money you sent was made into an investment of some sorts for an art project in the States. Once their daughter was born, all their care and attention and funds went into her.  They underwent an arduous path a few months into their marriage wherein Henry went bankrupt and Alice had just given birth yet they still kept their vows towards one another. 

Gussie, you are her still her sister; she still needs you. 

I encourage forgiveness between the two of you for I am tired of all this quarrelling. . .aren't you? 

Sincerely,
Albert 

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ══════

When Augusta awoke, she could faintly feel the dried-up tears on her cheeks and Albert's letter in her hand.  She had fallen asleep sobbing silently last night, praying that the pain would end soon. As she slumped her way towards her bedroom, she wondered if she was the sole cause of the pain she felt ─ could she be her own remedy? 

Once she was dressed for the day, Augusta made her way downstairs for tea. The Bridgertons were visting the Balfour mansion where the Marquess and Marchioness of Donegall were currently residing. Alice and her husband would be leaving this afternoon; the visit may be her only chance at reconciliation and to truly listen to her sister. 

"Lady Bridgerton!" Augusta exclaimed as she reached the final steps of the grand staircase. In tow with Violet were Gregory and Hyacinth who were no doubt having a quarrell of their own. "Good morning. May I accompany you to the Balfour mansion this morning? This is what I am wearing so there is no need to wait on me." 

Violet smiled. To the governess' surprise, the dowager viscountess looped her arms around hers and pulled her closer as if Augusta was merely one of her daughters. "Dear, you need not to ask for my permission." She assured her. "This is your family we are visiting after all." 

It hadn't even dawned onto Augusta that her family had grew. She now had a brother-in-law. She now had a niece. A baby niece! 

Augusta bowed her head. "It is very much appreciated, my lady." 

Violet patted her hand supportively before excusing herself to settle a dispute between Eloise and Hyacinth that had erupted just as they were going in the carriage. 

Just as she was heading out the doors, a warm hand grabbed ahold of her elbow, swiftly pulling her aside. Augusta came face to face with Benedict who's eyes seemed to dart around her face, inspecting for a speck of anger at his action. 

"Is your sister ─ " Benedict stammered, trying to find the appropriate words to say after witnessing her tearful state from the night before. "Are you able to ─ " 

"Yes." She firmly told him. "I shall be proper for today's visit. I assure you, Mr. Bridgerton, that my sister's husband will depart Mayfair in one piece." 

His mouth quirked into a smirk. "Last night it was Benedict but this morning it's Mr. Bridgerton? You wound me, Miss Woodbury." 

"From the moment I stepped foot into this household, you have addressed me as that horrible pet-name until a few days ago. Do tell me what has changed." 

"I have developed a strong dislike for the moniker. It seems so. . .unflattering." 

"Agreed." 

"Is this Augusta Woodbury succumbing to my wit and charm?" 

Augusta rolled her eyes and scoffed, walking around him and going down the steps of the front door. "You must not flatter yourself, Mr. Bridgerton. You do not have many appealing qualities to begin with." 

He followed, falling in-step with Augusta. It seemed like Benedict often found himself either following her or by her side these days. "You still ought to give me a dance." 

"Perhaps I may dance with you when I get fitted for another one of those unbearable dresses."

"That can be arranged." 

"Are you clinically insane or incredibily annoying?"  

"Expectedly, he is both." Eloise interjected, firmly clasping her governess' hand and leading her into the carriage. "Go along your merry way, dear brother. Miss Woodbury and I have a lot to discuss." 

Benedict furrowed his brows. "I believe I may be an asset for that discussion of yours, sister." 

"Nonsense, Benedict." It was Daphne, wearing a mischevious smile on her lips as Augusta settled in her seat. "It is only a discussion for women with strong minds." 

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ══════

The Balfour mansion flowed with glee and excitement as the Bridgertons made their way inside. While Benedict had his sights set on the striking paintings luring over his head, his older brother was quietly discussing business with the marquess. Alice graciously walked in with a smile, a brown bundle of a blanket in her arms. Violet and Daphne's eyes lit up at the sight of the baby. The remaining members of the family crowded and cooed over the marchioness and her child. 

Augusta was unaccostomed at seeing her sister so poised and full of grace. She'd seen Alice lose her first tooth and run around their garden and scream at roaches found on the floor. But, she'd never seen her little sister gleaming with motherly pride as she articulated how wonderful her daughter was being. 

"If I may query," Eloise started off, "How did you come to be with child? I gather you do not need to be ─ "

"Eloise Bridgerton!" 

Alice simply smiled at her. "What a inquisitive mind you have, dear Eloise. I can clearly discern now how you are Gussie's favorite student. She speaks highly of you in her letters." 

Eloise nodded, a smirk on her lips. "As she should."  

One of the maids had declared that tea was ready inside the drawing room. The group shuffled into the area, leaving the two sisters and a sleeping infant behind. Augusta walked towards her sister, peering over her shoulder to catch a glance at her baby niece. 

"Oh my." Augusta uttered, "She has your husband's hair." 

"What do you have against my husband's red hair, Gussie?" 

"However, I reckon she has your smile." 

"I reckon that too." 

"Alice, I have also come to apologize for my actions." She declared, eyes glued to the floor. The governess swallowed the lump forming in her throat. "I apologize for acting like a horrid witch towards your new family. I just ─ I just pondered on how you could ever give up your passion for a man. I truly am sorry, dear sister." 

As Augusta tentatively raised her head, she grunted as her sister engulfed her in a hug. She could hear her baby niece gurgling in-between them. 

"Gussie," Alice sniffed. "I too am sorry for lying to you ─ for making you feel like I completely disregard your feelings. Your opinion is one I hold dear the most; I couldn't possibly fathom the idea of disappointing ─ " 

Augusta shook her head and placed a gentle hand on her sister's cheek. "You could never disappoint me, Alice. If marriage and motherhood is what you choose, then I shall support it. Let us be sisters again." 

With a final hug passing between the sisters, Alice joyously bounced the baby in her arms. "You know, dear sister, motherhood is not that bad. It is possible to have both love and ambition but you can neither if you do not open your heart." 

Augusta scoffed. She ran a tender finger over the baby's cheek. "Did this little one teach you that?" 

"This little one's name is Agatha and she has taught me a lot of things already. Papa taught us that when we were young, remember?" 

"Our papa is dead to me, Alice." 

"Oh, Gussie ─"

"My dear!" Her husband had barged in, taking hurried steps towards Alice. "Daphne and Hyacinth wish to see your paintings. Will that be alright?" 

Alice beamed. "Of course! Come now, darling, I am certain we haven't packed them for the trip yet. Gussie, take Agatha, please?" 

Augusta's refusals fell on deaf ears as Alice handed the infant to her older sister. The governess molded her arms to support her niece. She almost gasped at the baby's eyes for they had shared the same color. 

She'd never seen her grey eyes on anyone else; Augusta had always found most of her physical traits a bore until she saw them on her baby niece (who was smiling gleefully at her). 

Approaching footsteps could be heard but she paid no mind to them as she was extremely enamoured at the small resemblance she shared with the baby. Augusta felt a presence standing closely behind her, the figure peering their face at her shoulder to glance at the infant in her arms. 

"She is so small." It was Benedict. Augusta had hardly recognized his tone as it was so soft and delicate. 

"Yet so full of life." Augusta tickled the baby's neck with her finger which caused a flurry of giggles to erupt from all three. 

"Little one," Benedict started, holding the infant's foot. "Tell your Aunt Augusta to be more festive. She seems to have a rain cloud hovering over her head at all times." 

"He is lying, Agatha. I am a ray of sunshine." The baby's gaze shifted from the two, the smile never leaving her lips. "Benedict here often finds joy in tormenting me. Pay him no mind." 

"That is ─ " 

"However, he is my friend. Therefore, it is his job to torment me anyhow." 

"We can't have your aunt causing too much trouble in the Ton now, can we, child?" 

"He is not a saint himself, Agatha. He accompanies me with my schemes." 

"I'm always willing to cause a bit of trouble with you, Augusta." 

The two shared a look ─ one that was filled with genuine smiles and fond eyes with just a hint of mischief in them. 

Neither Benedict nor Augusta could feel the air between them shift even just for that split second. It was a type of connection that was evolving under the sunlight that graced the mansion.

Quiet.

Simple. 

Unassuming. 

(It was excellent that the Dowager Viscountess Bridgerton just happened to be passing by. She stopped to take a look at the trio with a curious gaze. Once she saw the glances exchanged between her son and the governess, she left quietly with a knowing smile.) 

author's note:
proof life i guess??
spelling mistakes
are due to me just
being excited to
update this book
<33333

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64.4K 1.9K 29
❝surround me like an ocean, strip down to raw motion❞ simon x fem!oc bridgerton s1
970K 21.5K 46
βˆΎβœ§γ€‚MORE ۡ∾ ❛AND ALL THE THINGS THAT WE DREAM ABOUT THEY DON'T MEAN WHAT THEY DID BEFORE I JUST WANNA GET BACK TO US CAUSE WE USED...
282K 9.2K 26
❝I hear the preacher say speak now or forever hold your peace❞ β•­β”€β”€β”€β”€πŸ’œπ—œπ—‘ π—ͺπ—›π—œπ—–π—› the crown needs a new heir _________________...
949K 25.1K 57
Welcome dear readers to an interesting story. A young girl is welcomed into society and into the Viscount's heart. Lady Katherine Basset of Hastings...