Burned

By ssw_darling

Emberly Berry just wanted to get away, that is, until an accident with the hot fireman leads to a burning att... More

Author's Note
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY- FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE

FIVE

1K 32 1
By ssw_darling

MY MOUTH FALLS OPEN IN SHOCK. My oven is actually on fire this time.

My heart pounds and It's hard to breathe as I try to figure out my next steps. Memories from my parents' house fire rise to the surface and tears fall down my face. My shortness of breath constricts my breathing as I shakily move around looking for a fire extinguisher. The fire alarms can barely be heard by the ringing in my ear.

Now isn't the time to panic Emberly.

Solve the problem and panic later.

My hands tremble as I search for a fire extinguisher, I yell out in frustration when I can't find one.

A loud pounding hits my front door and I quickly run to the door and open it. The firemen are quick as they run in to put out the fire. I can't catch my breath, my chest heaves in pain and I quickly run out, the fresh open breeze fills my lungs as I try to breathe. My tears run down my face.

"You know Emberly, I was just joking about waiting till my shift. If you wanted to se-" Nolan stops talking when I turn around his eyes widen before he rushes to me and engulfs me in a hug. I don't fight him. Maybe it was the exhaustion- maybe it was how warm he felt- maybe it was the comfort- maybe it was his comforting words-or maybe it was how I felt safe in his arms- that I let him hold me.

"Emberly, it's okay, you're okay. Breathe with me." He stands in front of me taking deep breaths, I follow his movements. The air filling my lungs burns but I feel myself catching my breath.

Another fireman runs up to us and takes off his helmet, once he does so I notice it was Erick. His eyes meet mine in a sympathetic gaze.

"It wasn't your fault Emberly. There was a short circuit. We got here in time. Everything is alright." His eyes look up from me to behind me, I'm assuming it's Mrs. Hoover. He gives me a quick nod before running off behind me.

I wipe my tears and sniffle as I try to calm down.

"Did you get burned?" Nolan asks, his voice catches my attention and I look at him, his eyes are on mine with a look of concern.

I shake my head no.

I was lucky, but how much luck do I have until it runs out?

Tears brim my eyes as I think about my parents. I never got the details on what caused the house fire for my parents. Burke didn't let me know anything, he wouldn't let me get the answer's I desperately needed. This small stove fire had me terrified. I can't even begin to fathom what my poor parents went through.

My heart breaks at the thought of how scared they were. They had to accept it, accept that they weren't going to get out.

My chest starts to restrict again and I feel my breath caught in my throat.

"Shh. Emberly, where did you go? Focus on me." Nolan takes my hands in his as he continues to show me how to breathe. My heart races and my palms feel clammy. The intensity of his eyes and his concern makes me do something I never thought I would.

"M-my parents." I try to say but it comes out in pieces. "Hou-house fire." That must have been enough when a look of realization came across his features. He pulls me into a hug, his gear is unformattable but it's worth it to be hugged. I feel myself start to calm down in his embrace.

"Emberly, dear. I'm so sorry." Mrs. Hoover's soft voice makes Nolan slowly pull away. I turn to look behind me. Tears fall down her face as she looks at me. She looks heartbroken.

"Mrs. Hoover, I'm the one-" She puts her hand up to stop me.

"No, don't blame yourself. It wasn't your fault. I should have put a new oven in there before you moved in dear." She comes up to give me a hug, the embrace has me fighting back tears. I haven't felt this much love in so long.

"It's okay Mrs. Hoover none of us could have known." I take a step back, I can feel Nolan's presence behind me, I don't move away. I think I'm depending a little bit too much on him right now.

It's dangerous.

"I'm going to have that fixed while you're at work today, okay?" I nod my head as she gives me a small smile. She places her hand on my shoulder giving it a light squeeze before heading back inside.

Nolan's hand sends tingles up my spine as he delicately turns me around and moves us towards the cabin.

"It's safe now to enter, okay?" His soft voice tickles my ear as he bent down to talk to me. I nod my head as we head into the cabin. Luckily the only damage done was the kitchen area. Obviously.

"I'm so sorry." I mumble as we look around. I look at Nolan, who's already looking at me.

"Emberly, this wasn't your fault." Everything I do always blows up in flames. "Hey, seriously, this was a stove issue. Don't blame yourself." His voice is stern as he looks at me.

"If I didn't cook this mo-"

"Emberly, whether you cooked this morning or tonight or even next week this problem was going to happen either way. Accidents happen. That's exactly what this was. An accident." I didn't realize I was crying again until his soft large thumbs were wiping the tears away from my face.

"I-I um, should probably get ready for work." I don't want to move and it looks like he doesn't want to either. But he does, he takes a small step back, a small smile on his lips.

"I gotta go talk to Erick, I'll see you when I see you next, okay?" With one last wipe under my eyes he walks out of the cabin.

I quickly get changed out of my pajamas and get ready for work. Soon enough, I head out of the cabin, shutting the door behind me. Mrs. Hoover sits on her chair as she waves me over.

"Hey dear, I'm heading to the market this morning, how about I drop you off to work on the way?"

"If you don't mind, that would be wonderful." I shyly smile at her. She quickly gets up and puts on her oversized sunglasses. We head to her garage and hop into her truck.

"How are you feeling?" She looks over at me as we get on the main road. The lovely town passes by quickly, my eyes stare at the firehouse we pass. I'd be lying if I said my heart didn't pick up and that I didn't look to see if he was outside.

I definitely didn't do that.

"I'm feeling a lot better, still I'm really sorry Mrs. Hoover."

"Dear, Call me Molly." She smiles over at me, her sunglasses move up with her smile. "I'm just glad you're safe, Emberly. It was just a stove problem."

It doesn't take long for us to get to my job. Molly's loud engine truck grumbles as it drives away. Jeremy waves enthusiastically at me as he unlocks the door to the building. His blue button up is tucked in his dress pants nicely.

"Morning Emberly." He holds the door open for me as I walk in. our steps echo in the dark hallway, the shiny marble floor causes my shoes to squeak as I step. His keys clink together as he walks behind me. "On Wednesdays we're fairly slow, if you want you could probably leave early. Angie will probably stay since she's been off."

"Oh okay, yeah that's fine. Thank you." Jeremy smiles before hesitantly turning to me. His mouth opens and closes life a fish.

"I heard about the fire this morning, are you alright?" His concerned eyes stare into mine as he leans on my desk.

News sure does travel fast here.

"Yeah it was scary but I'm okay." I force a smile, hoping it's believable, which it seems that way as he nods his head before heading to the back. A moment later a loud slam of our door grasps my attention, as I jump.

A short red-head walks in, her hair sits above her shoulders in her purple scrubs. She grumbles as she walks like a zombie.

"God, I fucking hate mornins." She scoffs loudly. She abruptly pauses as she sees me, her brown eyes wide open as she stares. "Holy shit! You're the new girl." She squeals, Jeremy aggressively rushes out from the back with a broom in his hand.

"I have a weapon." He shouts as his glass tumble down over his nose, his lab coat sits barely on his arms.

"Girl, you're cute as fuck." She squeals and Jeremy rolls his eyes once he realizes there's no threat.

"Thank you." I feel my face burn at her compliment.

"Alright ladies, get to work, Angie please don't make her uncomfortable." She scoffs dramatically before looking at me with a smile.

"We're going to be best friends."

******

The rest of the shift flew by, Angie's exciting personality really made time go by quickly. I decided to stay the whole shift. Mainly because I was enjoying my time with Angie and Jeremy.

"Thirty-minutes left, thank fuck." Angie shouts as she jumps in the air, her hands are in her pockets as she excitedly dances around. We just finished up with our last patient, so now we're just cleaning up. The door chimes and I look over to a delivery man walking in with a large bouquet of pink roses and gypsophila flowers.

The man looks at me and smiles, "Delivery for Emberly?" My mouth falls open in shock.

"That's me." I smile as I take them from him and place them on my desk.

"You have a great day Ma'am." He smiles before turning away and leaving quickly. Angie stands next to the flowers with her mouth wide open. I take the white note out of the beautiful bouquet. My heart pounds as butterflies swarm my stomach.

Hey Emberly,

Hope this makes you smile, I'm sorry your day started the way it did. You're so strong and brave, don't let this ruin your chance of having a great day. I tried to get this sent to you earlier, but it's been a bit of a busy day.

See you when I see you next.

-Nolan

"Holy shit, the Nolan Benson sent you flowers." She signs dramatically.

"Why do you say it like that?" I ask as I skim through his note again. I've never been given flowers before. Burke never bought me any.

"Uh, have you seen him? Plus he is one fine fire-man. Be careful girl. You better watch out for Alice Parks. The girl is obsessed, he wants nothing to do with her, but because daddy mayor is friends with his parents, her daddy constantly tries to set them up. There is no one else worse in this town than Alice." She aggressively shivers, letting out a huff.

Of course this guy has a chick obsessed with him.

"Oh, you seem like you don't like her." Obviously Rose.

"She is an entitled model living off her dad's money. Can't stand her. Oh, and of course she's a kindergarten teacher. Be careful, just cause she does god's work, doesn't mean she's going to heaven." She huffs. "You need a ride home?"

"I don't want to make you go-"

"To the car bitch." She quickly leads me out of the office, my flowers tickling me as we jog out. "You hungry?" She opens the backseat while helping me put the flowers in.

"Starving." I say sheepishly as my stomach rumbles. Angie speeds off in the direction of the diner. My hand reaches up and grips the panic handle.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

141K 5.5K 60
**** COMPLETE **** This novel centers around Faith, a young black woman in her early 20s that's given up on the thought of love. That is until she fi...
21.7K 709 86
Wyatt Smith is an average 17yr old. He goes to school and work. He keeps his head down and doesn't get into trouble. Why? His home life is hell! He a...
442K 24.4K 26
Tiffany is 26, she left L.A. during her husbands work party after secretly signing annulment papers with her attorney earlier in the day, instructing...
263K 9.3K 30
After years of pining for the man she let go, Hailey is reeling as he crashes back into her life. She'd be a fool to let herself get burned again - b...