Cliche (2024 - In Progress)

By ohgoditsyou

Mary "MJ" Johanssen is just like all of the other girls. She's pretty, well put together, and knows her place... More

(II) little sisters

(I) train rides

84 6 7
By ohgoditsyou

The ride home always seems to drag on into eternity. This fourteen hour train ride through New England only becomes more uninspiring with repetition. The sleeper car she sits in is freezing, the heat on the train does little to combat the December cold. The endless farmland, small towns, and occasional big city are a constant blur in the window. Mary has seen this view dozens of times before, and in the dark it is especially uninteresting.

Mary is returning home for her school's three week winter break, even though she does not want to be with family. For the past four years, she has been attending Miss Maxwell's School for Proper Young Ladies. In that time, she has become a stranger in her family's home. She finds more kinship with her roommates at Miss Maxwell's than she does with her own siblings.

She does not have much care for her family. Her father is rarely present and her mother is absolutely suffocating. Mary comes from a prominent family in her small New Hampshire town of wolves, her father being the beta for the pack. Thus, it is imperative she learns to be a proper young lady.

That is the reason she had been given as to why she had to attend Miss Maxwell's. To learn to not be an embarrassment to the family. She is tired of the expectations, having to be pleasant and full of smiles. Tired of forcing herself to be agreeable and likable to everyone she meets. If given the chance, Mary would love to slouch and curse in public. Too bad it would cause a scandal, the eldest daughter of a prominent beta losing her cool.

All she can do is put on her sickeningly sweet facade and lament in private.

Mary is cramped in the small sleeper car, but with the bed already pulled out for the night she can pretend that it doesn't bother her. It is well past dinnertime, and honestly, creeping on bedtime. She knows that she should sleep soon, she knows that the train is set to arrive early in the morning. She just can't bring herself to stop and prepare for bed.

She spends her time sketching in a journal, quick loose sketches that don't take a lot of her brain power. When her phone's cell service would allow it, she is maintaining a conversation with her roommate, Eloise.

Mary and Eloise had first met in their first year at Miss Maxwell's, having been assigned to live together. The two girls became fast friends, ultimately inseparable over the four years they have known each other. For the past two years, Eloise's younger sister Florence has also shared a dorm with them. The Langley sisters are the daughters of an Alpha in Virginia. They are also two of Mary's favorite people.

The trio hasn't even been separated a day yet and are already making plans for when they reunite in January. Of the dinners they can cook together, the movie nights they could have, and the classes they are not looking forward to returning to. Mary is also discussing the possibility of getting a tattoo, having just turned 18 a month prior.

Mary: maybe on the ribcage?? i think somewhere easily hidden

Eloise: that would be sooo cute!!!!

Mary keeps sketching the same thing, a small cluster of flowers. Each set is altered slightly, from the orientation to the size. She likes to draw flowers when she is bored, finding the wide variety to choose from to be endlessly appealing as an artist. She continues to sketch for as long as her eyes will let her focus on the sketchbook.

She wants her first tattoo to be of flowers, it feels right to Mary. She knows there is still time to think about the design. Still time before she could set up the consultation.

Mary and Eloise's conversation continues until nearly one in the morning. Knowing that her train is meant to arrive at the station by eight, Mary forces herself to say goodnight to her friend. She considers pulling an all-nighter but knows that it would serve no purpose and wreck her sleep schedule for no reason.

She doesn't like the movement of the train, the slight way that things shift with every curve. The way that she can faintly hear the wheels on the tracks. The way that there are people outside of her room that continue to be loud throughout the night.

Sleeping on a train isn't something that comes naturally to Mary, but she does it anyway. Even if it is just a way to pass the time.

~

Her alarm goes off right at 6:15. Grumbling, she forces her eyes open. Mary stares at the ceiling of the sleeper car for a moment, regretting her decision to sleep so late. Regretting her decision to set her alarm so early. Begrudgingly, she gets up, even when her body begs her to crawl back into the uncomfortable bed.

She slept poorly, but that was to be expected from the train ride. She knows that there is a chance for her to nap later in the day when she finally returns home. It is just a matter of getting there, and hoping that her mother lets her sleep.

Mary pulls her luggage from the small storage space in the room. She is mentally going through what she had packed, trying to piece together an outfit before she even unzips the suitcase. Opening the bright yellow luggage, she finds the various pieces she was looking for, along with her cosmetics bag.

She starts with washing her face using the small, fold-up sink provided in her room, removing the night's grime. She couldn't even find it in her to grumble about the cold water, enjoying the way that it wakes her up a little bit more.

The makeup that follows is simple, winged liner, mascara, and brow gel. Mary is at a point in her makeup journey where she doesn't like wearing foundation. She feels comfortable with the quality of her skin and doesn't want to cover up her plentiful freckles. She also usually finds it to be just a messy extra step.

She brushes out her long copper hair, finding the strands to be uncooperative today. Mary pulls the hair into two messy braids, deciding they are good enough for now. Even in braids, her hair falls nearly to her waist, which is becoming too much for her to maintain.

The outfit that Mary picked out is simple, all of the clothes that she had brought home for break were. The only plans she has is to sit in her room, so it does not matter what she looks like. Of course, she brought some nicer items in case her mother drags her to brunch or something, but ultimately, Mary doesn't care what she dresses like.

It is simply a pair of black leggings and a white baby tee layered under her favorite oversized mint green cardigan. She wears the same black winter boots she does throughout the season. Her jewelry is unchanged from the day before: small platinum hoops stacked in her lobes, a smattering of piercings in her cartilage, and a platinum locket.

There is an announcement made on the overhead. The train is set to arrive at the station on time and will be at the destination shortly. Mary takes this time to quickly text her brother Joshua, reminding him that he better be here on time.

She took the next fifteen minutes to repack all of her things, ensuring that none of her belongings would be left behind. Once everything is squarely put away either in the suitcase or in her bookbag, Mary feels like she can have a moment to relax and enjoy the last couple minutes before the train screeches into the station.

Mary never really got along with her older brother Joshua, but he has been her ride to and from the train station since he had gotten his license at sixteen. That has been nearly the entire time she has been attending Miss Maxwell's and has grown to begrudgingly accept the arrangement. Joshua is 20 years old and completely insufferable in the way that only older brothers can be. He is in his second year of a business degree at the college near their family home and has a sort of internship with their father. He is the heir after all, the one meant to take over the beta title whenever their father retires.

Mary can only hope that he didn't bring along one of his friends this time, knowing that Joshua primarily hangs out with some unpleasant young men.

When dropping her off at the beginning of the semester, his dear friend Ezra Bailey decided to tag along. She doesn't remember the reasoning for it anymore, but she does remember the miserable car ride. The two boys just loved to make her squirm, and because they have all known each other since they were small children, they knew just the way to do that.

Ezra is the oldest son of the Alpha, born right in the middle of Joshua and Mary. Due to the close nature of the working relationship of their fathers, and more specifically, the old friendship of their mothers, the trio had been inseparable as children. Especially considering they had all grown up next door to one another. The boys, they get everything they want handed to them and are never expected to take responsibility for their actions. Mary had to go to a specialized school that liked to teach her that her basic existence is unladylike.

Mary is relieved to find that there is no Ezra in tow today, only a sleepy Joshua. He is still in his pajama pants and his copper hair is a mess. He probably didn't even bother to brush it recently. It is incredibly clear to her that her brother had simply rolled out of bed before coming to the station. While she shouldn't fault him for it, having such a long drive so early in the morning. Although, Joshua could have at least put a little bit of effort into looking presentable.

The drive home from the train station is a quiet one. The siblings never really have anything to say to one another, allowing the soft hum of the radio to fill the silence. Mary would take whatever is playing on the top 40 hits station any day than forcing a conversation with Joshua.

Mary sends a good morning text to Eloise, knowing that she wouldn't be awake for at least another hour.

Her mind wanders to all of the plans she has for the break, although not much comes to mind. Mary has little interest in leaving her house while she is home, no interest in having to see people and places she rather forget.

There are a few events that she knows that she cannot get out of though. The pack always hosts a massive Christmas party, the fancy type with a black tie dress code. Ever since she has been old enough to attend, she has been attempting to get out of it. Yet she has never found a way for her parents to let her skip. There is also the Alpha's New Year's party. That is more of an excuse for the adults to get drunk and leave the ones who aren't old enough to drink feeling awkward.

Mary is much more interested in staying in her room, catching up on the shows that she likes. She also has a couple of school projects that she had been assigned to do over break, but they shouldn't take her too long. She wants to sit in her room and maybe draw or paint, just forget the outside world for a little bit.

She doesn't have many friends at home. That is a consequence of having not interacted with her peers here since middle school.

The drive to their home in Pittsburg is an hour long. During that time, Mary watches the gentle snowfall from her spot in the passenger seat. It is early enough that there are not many other cars on the road, allowing for the drive to go by quickly.

It is not long before they are driving through the familiar town. The small town of Pittsburg is the epicenter of the northern New Hampshire werewolf population. The place is full of small, family-owned stores and boasts a large sense of community. It is a perfect little suburbia full of turn of the century architecture. And just as outdated gender norms.

The street that Mary's family lives on is full of rich and prominent families in town. As well as some of the most beautiful model homes the world has to offer, like a magazine come to life.

Even in the winter each lawn looks perfect. No extra piles of snow from shoveling or stray footprints. Many of the homes have Christmas lights strung up and tastefully decorated for the season.

Her house specifically is a large, beautiful Victorian made out of red brick with contrasting white details. Even with the house being quite old, it visibly boasts of the money of the occupants today. As much as it is a house, Mary isn't sure she can call it a home.

Following a long driveway, Joshua pulls his car into the garage that is situated behind the house. Just like that, Mary is officially home from Miss Maxwell's. Is it bad that she already wants to go back? Not so much for the educational material but for the social atmosphere there.

Mary can barely pull her things from the car before Joshua is locking the car and making his way towards the house. Mary follows him, desperate to get out of the cold.

As soon as she passes the threshold of the back door, she is immediately welcomed by the scent of a mix of her mother's favorite candle and breakfast cooking.

"Oh, Mar, there you are," Her mother, Ruth Johanssen, greets fondly from the stove. The older woman wears a sweater and patterned skirt under an apron, her long copper hair tied neatly into a bun. Mary catches the look that her mother gives her when she notices the leggings but doesn't comment. Leggings aren't ladylike enough for her mother. "Go set your things down and come join us for breakfast."

Not wanting to butt heads, Mary makes her way up the stairs. She stops at the first door on the left, turning the knob. She is greeted with the welcoming sight of her bedroom, a place she hasn't seen since August.

The room is in the front corner of the house and has windows on two walls, three doors on the other two. The first door obviously led to the hall, but the second and third were for her closet and the jack-and-jill bathroom she shares with her sister. All of the furniture in her room is white, the entire space is filled with decor. The room manages to have a large desk, two massive bookcases, and a double bed overflowing with blankets and pillows. One of the bookcases has a dedicated section for her art supplies, allowing her to dabble in her art even while she is home. She has a large book collection, lining the shelves, along with several trinkets and convincing faux plants. She had spent a lot of time two summers ago making this place feel more grown up and she likes being in this room. It is a comfortable space even if the rest of the house is not.

The place would have been perfect if she had remembered to close the curtains before she had left for school. One of her windows almost perfectly aligns with the Bailey house next door. The room belongs to none other than Ezra and his own blinds are open. She had caught him post shower, wearing only a towel, strung low on his hips. Not a sight she is interested in seeing, not right now, not ever.

Regardless of how quickly she moved to close the curtain, to have her sense of privacy back, she is not quick enough. Ezra drops the towel, revealing a whole lot more skin than she wants to see. Mary snaps the curtains close, wrinkling her nose at the memory.

If she had thought she wanted to return to school before, now she definitely couldn't wait to get back. 

~

2748 words. Published 02.06.2024

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8M 31.1K 119
Clio's life hasn't been easy and she'd like to keep her secrets to herself but even when she's trying to pursue her happiness she find out her boyfri...
224K 9.2K 40
"I want you." With a touch as light as a feather, Cillian hooked a thick finger under her chin to get a better look at her face. "Look at me." Slowly...
151K 6.7K 46
Regal Eclipse Pack Series is now available on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CT96742X?binding=kindle_edition&ref=dbs_dp_rwt_sb_pc_tkin Book 2 of...
1.3M 24.2K 19
He easily shook me off his face harding. "You'll be fine without me Emma your strong" "Please your all I have left" I sobbed. He looked up at me and...