Matchbox

By boremore

S4 / Steve Harrington More

Matchbox
Graphics.
Part One.
I. Life Goes By A Rule Book
II. Boobies
III. Hummingbirds Of Nerves
IV. Dead Flower
VI. The Feeling Of Loss
VII. Knives Out
VIII. No Sleep For Pretty Girls
IX. Fail-Safe
X. Childhood Death Haunts
XI. Blue Isn't So Blue
XII. The Fears Of A Teenage Boy
XIII. Mother's Cut
XIV. Ballerina
Part Two.
XV. Some Bunny Loves Me
XVI. War Zone / Harrington's
XVII. War Is Over
Epilogue. The Slaughter

V. Freezing Little Girl

2.9K 163 85
By boremore

Five. Freezing Little Girl

          Bubblegum Girls don't mess with samurai swords and white caucasian boys.

      The boys are worse than the swords, because they're the ones holding themguiding them. They were the ones cutting and slicing skin with babbling mouths of venom and blood coated smiles and glossy eyes nearly rolling from their sockets.

     Steve Harrington was trying to hide his distaste in Vera's idea, but she could see right through the façade. She knew him like that back of her hand. "Steve, please! C'mon, it could be fun!"

Could be. Could be. Could be.

   The boy sighed, leaning against the front of his car—Chrissy Cunningham was already sitting in his backseat, waiting patiently. Her fingertips messing with the edge of her green cheer skirt, her teeth sunken into her bottom lip as she looked around. She had a chill on the back of her neck. She hated being alone now.

"Vera, I don't know, man. I'm not the towns ideal dude anymore .. I get weird looks still being here, I should be in college or something bigger or whatever.. I don't know if a high school party is the scenery for me.. anymore."

   I really don't want to go without you is what I'm trying to say, Steve.

   Vera sighed gently, shoulders sagging a bit. "No one gives you weird looks! I'd like to let you know, half the girls in my english class still talk about you! Its actually kind of annoying, cause like, they know I'm sitting right there? I mean, we've been dating for the last hundred years—I think they do it to spite me..?" The girls eyes drifted off a bit with the random thoughts. Steve smiled gently, a hand cupping the side of the girls neck to bring her attention back to him. "Vera, baby, people still talk about your dad at this school. They love It Boys, doesn't mean they should still be here..?"

   Oh, okay, ouch, got it. The girl huffed, getting a little whiny. "Steve—C'mon, please! I really don't want to drive over with Jason Carver.. Plus, you get to hang out with me! At a party!" The boy grimaced, with humor. "Oh, God, how could I ever miss up the opportunity to party with Hawkins High's Best Babe!" The girl scoffed, cheeks fading red as she bit back a smile. "Steve.."

    The boy sighed, biting back a smile. "Fine. I'll go. But, if you dare leave my side, I will raise hell on you, short stuff!" Vera squeaked out as the boy's warm hands landed on her waist, bringing her form into his slanted front. His face hid away in the crook of her neck, soft kisses placed to her searing skin. Her hands landed on his shoulders, squeezing gently. "You're the best, Harrington."

    The boy rolled his eyes fondly, pulling back to see her face. Her eyes were glossy in love, and cheeks as blushed as roses. "Hey, where were you for the last of the game? After Lucas made his shot I looked for you, and you were gone?" Vera's smile fell a little. She cleared her throat and looked back behind her shoulder to the area where the dead flower once was—It was gone now.

What the.. How was it gone?

    Her gaze moved back to Steve, he raised a gentle brow at her. "You okay?" One hand of his left her waist, it moved to her face and gently brushed down the baby hairs framing her face. "I, uh, yeah. Guess I just got overwhelmed.. Had to step out. It sucks that I missed Lucas' shot, he's going to kill me." Steve cracked a small smile at her words, he could tell something else was off with the girl. He didn't comment on it though. She'd tell him when she was ready.

    Just hoped it wouldn't be too late when she did.

             Before you could even step into Maria Reyes' house it reeked of alcohol and loud music. She lived passed Oakley Road, the richest part of Hawkins, where Steve, Vera, Chrissy, & Nancy lived. Maria's neighborhood was filled with elders who could barely hear, so, her parties never got busted on.

     Chrissy's nose scrunched up at the smell as the three stood before the raging home. Her hand tucked in Vera's as Steve stood behind the two, his hand on Vera's lower back. "I already have a headache." Chrissy laughed at Steve's words as Vera rolled her eyes, turning back to the boy. "Please! You're acting like a father, c'mon!"

   Before the three could even reach the front door, there was a call out. "Chris, babe! You made it! Been looking all over for you!" Jason and his shinning blonde hair had come out from the side of the house—looking a little sweaty. He waved the three over, "c'mon!" Chrissy smiled gently at the boy, tugging Vera along who reached back for Steve's wrist.

     The backyard was teenage realm. The pool was filled with drunk bodies and bubbles. It smelled like cigarettes and fruity drinks in the air. It was like a clear box had been placed over Maria's home, cutting it all off from the real world.

    Chrissy slumped into Jason's side, the boy passed drinks to all three. Vera didn't dare let go of Steve's wrist, her fingers over his pulse point. His dark eyes floated around as he took gentle sips of his drink. "Man! Did you all see Sinclair tonight!" Vera perked up at the name, her gaze moving to Jason. "Is he here?"

   Jason laughed. "Of course he is." The blonde boy nodded somewhere beyond the group, his chin tilting towards the direction as well. Vera and Steve's eyes widened as they watched Lucas. The freshman was lifted over a Keg by Andy and Patrick. Basketball boys cheering all around. Steve grimaced at the sight, his Kegger days were long over with.

    Chrissy gaped at the sight. "You guys are totally corrupting him!" Jason laughed gently, he swayed a little—clearly drunk. He squeezed the cheerleader closer to his side, "lemme go introduce you to Maria." Chrissy nodded along, drinking slowly as she waved gently at Vera. Vera smiled gently, she would find her later, to find Eddie.

    Vera spun around, gaze landing on Steve, who looked clearly out of his element. He didn't do things like this anymore. Vera suddenly frowned, her insides twisting and wracking her breathing like a poison. "I'm sorry." The boys eyes snapped down to hers in a hurry, "what—"

   "I know you hate these things now. You're more college parties, this is definitely not that. I shouldn't have forced you to come—I'm sorry. You can, like, leave if you want? I won't get mad!—"

   Vera's worried words were silenced as lips gently came down on hers, a hand on the back of her neck to pull her closer. Steve's lips were fruity, much like Vera's. "Hi," the boy pulled away gently with a soft laugh. Vera cleared her throat, hoping her cheeks weren't as red as she felt. "Hi, Stevie-boy."

   The boy smiled gently, the tip of his pinky running over her nose with a roll of his brown sugar eyes. "Yeah, I kind of hate this. But, I can stick it out for you, y'know that."

   Vera smiled, like really smiled. "Okay, but, I'm telling you—you don't have too. It's okay." Steve's shoulders seem to deflate a little, a lazy smile on his lips. "I would love to leave, but I'm not to fond of leaving you here with a bunch of grimy teenage boys." The girl laughed into the rim of her cup, "you aren't that much older than them—incase you forgot, Harrington."

    The boy rolled his eyes fondly. "I am going to leave, but I do wanna see you later. Should spend the night at mine, I can call your mom. I'll pull out my insane lying skills and charm." The girl laughed, leaning up towards the boys. Her lips inches away for his. "I'll be there. It's a block down." Steve beamed, "I will have a candy overload ready for you."

    The girl cracked a laugh as she pressed her lips to his this time. Her free hand reached up and cupped his cheek, it felt insanely warm under his skin. "I'll see you in a few, I love you."

    "And I love you, Steve Harrington!"

   The boy cringed at her raised volume, others around grimacing at the two. Vera didn't mind, she was beaming and in love.

   Steve squeezed her free hand gently before he started to leave. "Don't let Lucas die of alcohol poisoning!" She laughed gently at the words as she watched the boy jog off.

   "Vee!" The girl spun around on her heel, gaze catching the eyes to the voice. It was Chrissy, she stood with Ella and Mia—she waved the girl over and Ella beamed. Mia didn't look to pleased, arms crossed over her chest with a red solo cup in one hand. Somehow, Mia and Ella were in different outfits.

    Vera smiled gently at the girls as she finally reached them, "hi guys." Ella pulled the girl into a bone crushing hug. Chrissy raised a soft brow, looking around, "where's Steve?" Vera gently cleared her throat after another sip of her drink, "he went home .. This isn't really his scene anymore."

    Ella beamed, "that's cute."

   Vera didn't miss the way Mia rolled her eyes. What was wrong with her? Ella gently grabbed the girls hand, "c'mon—Maria let us raid her closet to get out of these cheer uniforms. We can find something for you and Chrissy."

Maria Reyes' room was more pinker than Vera's ever could be. And Vera's was pink. Over the years Vera tried to rid the pink by adding other colors, it made the room more mature, but pink was still there.  It was almost like it couldn't go away. But Maria didn't seem to care, her room was a nine year old girls pink wonderland.

Vera sat on the girls made bed gently, fingertips running over the fabric of her duvet. Ella and Chrissy stood at the girls overly large closet. Mia leaned against a dresser, eyes burning into her drink. "Okay!" Ella's voice had all three other girl's flinching, their eyes snapping to her. She had an outfit in her hands for Chrissy. "We'll be in the bathroom across the hall. Don't kill each other while we're gone, thank you."

Since when did we start saying things like that?

Mia scoffed, finishing off her drink. Vera's lips rolled in on themselves as Chrissy sent her a soft look, I'll be back in five, I promise.

    The silence was life threatening. When had they become whatever this was? Mia's eyes were slicing up Vera with every second that passed. Vera couldn't stay still anymore, "can you stop staring at me, please." Mia's jaw hardened, looking away with a dramatic eye roll. Vera frowned, "what's the matter? What have I've done for you to start acting like this? We were fine two days ago—I don't get it?"

    It almost sounded like Mia growled lowly in a coverup grunt. Vera's skin prickled with a feeling she hadn't felt before, but it didn't feel good. Mia's eyes switched back to hers, and Vera let out a gasp—Mia's eyes were fully an ashy white. No other color. The girl dropped her empty cup to the carpet, coming closer to Vera.

   As she got closer, her tan skin ran darker—black veins stabbed at her under eyes. "M-Mia? Mia!" The breaking apart girl before Vera sneered, "you? God, you! The world revolves around you, doesn't it? You drag Steve to places he hates. You play with Eddie Munson's emotions. You make Chrissy your personal lap dog! You ran your father away! Your mother is brain dead on a couch because she had you! C'mon, we all know it! Vera Stonem is a fucking joke! She's sick! She's a ruiner!"

    Vera couldn't breathe.

    Her chest was on fire, eyes burning with tears of flames. Mia seem to crawl onto the bed as Vera moved back. Vera let out a cry as her back hit the wall, Mia caging her in. Vera's blurry eyes watched Mia's black vein hands move towards her face, and the second they cupped her skin — Vera was yelling.

    Blood coated screams.

    "Vera!" And as quick as it all came, it all disappeared. Vera's eyes slammed opened, she was in shakes. Terrified eyes stared back into hers, Chrissy Cunningham. "Y-You're okay! It's okay! Vera, I promise .. You're okay, love." The honey brunette was brought into the strawberry blonde's arms. Ella was gaping at the girl in concern, Mia's eyes wide with fear as she stood behind Ella—Like she was hiding.

   Ella's eyes snapped towards Mia, "what the hell did you say to her! What did you do?" Mia's lips parted, but nothing came out. Ella rolled her eyes as she snatched Mia's wrist, pulling the girl from the overly pink room.

    Chrissy's warms hands we're holding onto Vera for dear life, the girl grasping breaths with the palms of her hands. Chrissy had a tight arm around Vera, the other was cupping the side of her face pressed to her chest gently. "Vee, it's okay. You're okay. We're okay. I promise.."

   Vera screwed her eyes shut, slipping into Chrissy more. "Vee, what .. what happened? What did she do to you?"

   "I-I don't think that's Mia."

What?

     Chrissy's heart jumped, her skin losing color at her best friends words. She didn't say anything, her grip only tightened on the other cheerleader. Her chin gently rested on the crown of Vera's head, and in a flash her eyes caught the overly loud van outside through the window. "Eddie's here."

   Vera's eyes pushed opened at the words, she pulled away gently from Chrissy's grasp. But Chrissy didn't let her go completely, her hand laced with hers. Both girls gaped out the window, Eddie's music was loud — but Maria's was louder from where they sat. Vera turned back to Chrissy, "we should get going then."

   Chrissy nodded slowly, squeezing Vera's hand. "Are you okay?" Vera pushed out a small smile, "I'm okay .. I-I promise." The girl sniffled gently, as Chrissy leaned forwards, wiping away Vera's lingering tears with the pad of her thumbs. Chrissy was hesitant. "Okay, let's go then.."

    Vera Stonem was sneakier than Chrissy remembered, or even knew.

   They were at Eddie's van in a matter of moments without going unnoticed. His music was louder now with the close proximity. Chrissy looked over at Vera, hands still laced. Vera shrugged gently, you could barely see inside the van with how dark it was outside—and the van seem to be shaking a little to the beat of the song. Vera had never heard the song before, and Chrissy definitely hadn't.

Chrissy took a deep breath, gently letting go of Vera's hand. Vera's arms wrapped around her cold form as she looked around, Chrissy knocked on the boy's passenger window before stepping back to Vera's spot. The music stopped in seconds, and both girls moved back a little when the window rolled down and smoke lingered out like a grabbing hand. Both girls' nose scrunched up. Jesus H. Christ.

Chrissy tried to peer into the van, and both girls gasped as Eddie's face appeared essentially from the dark. The metalhead had pushed himself to the passenger seat. "Chrissy, hi." The girl smiled gently with a wave, "hi, Eddie." The boys chocolate eyes then flickered to the girl next to Chrissy. Vera was staring down the street with squinting eyes, her grip on herself looked tight from where Eddie sat in his van. "Stonem. What a delightful surprise."

The girls eyes snapped to the boy, and his eyes widened a little realizing how glossy Vera's were. Vera Stonem was distraught. Eddie raised a brow, turning to Chrissy. "Is she .. okay?" Chrissy perked up a little, humming. "Oh! Uh, yeah, she's fine—"

"Hi .. Eddie."

Chrissy and Eddie's eyes flickered to the girl. Vera smiled gently, with a soft wave. Chrissy watched the way Eddie smiled gently at the girl, "you comin' with?"

Chrissy took a deep breath, gently grabbing Vera's hand again. "Maybe you should call Steve? Have him pick you up?" Eddie raised a brow at Chrissy's words, Vera was not fine apparently.

Vera shrugged gently, "s'okay. I can stick it out, don't wanna leave you alone.." Chrissy smiled gently, "I won't be alone. I got Eddie." Both girls eyes turned to the boy, who was already staring at Chrissy. "Yeah. She's got me. It's all good."

Eddie Munson really liked cheerleaders, or maybe he just liked these two—they were different from the others. These were nice and caring. And it seemed like if something happened to one, the other would crumble.

Much like right now.

Chrissy wanted Vera home, safely, after watching her freak attack in the party house. And Chrissy knew Vera would be safe with Steve Harrington.

"It's okay, Vee. I'll call you when I get home, yeah?" Vera nodded slowly, "yeah, yeah, of course. Be careful, love you." Chrissy beamed at the girl, bringing her into a bone crushing hug. "Love you too, Vee. My bestest friend." Vera couldn't help and beam as Chrissy pulled back, gently pinching her cheek as Chrissy giggled.

Eddie's heart pulled watching the two. He wished he had someone like that in his life.

"Don't worry, Stonem, I'll bring her home all safe and sound to you."

Vera beamed at the boy, "cool. I'll talk to you later, Chris." The strawberry blonde beamed with one last squeeze to Vera's hand. Eddie pushed open the passenger door for Chrissy, then he climbed back into the drivers seat. With a honk of the van, Vera was left in the dark. Her smile slowly fading.

The girl spun around gaze landing on the vibrating house, there was no way she was going back in there. The girl sighed, fist balling up at her sides. She let out a small squeak as her gaze landed on a bike leaning against on of the parked cars. I mean .. No one's going to noticed with all the alcohol in their systems, right?

The girl sighed, gently taking the bike from against the car. Her eyes lingered on the small light strapped to the front, she bent down to it's level—gently tapping the glass a few times before the light flickered on. She smiled gently, "okay, cool."

    Honestly, the bike ride towards Steve was more eerie than a horror movie. And she wasn't even in their neighborhood yet. Her calves were on fire and despite the energy she was burning—she was still as cold as ice. And a frown seem to be embed onto her lips.

    As if her night couldn't have gotten any better there was a car suddenly coming up the road. That's it, this is the night Vera Stonem dies! And the girl flinched as the car honked, she nearly crashed into a gate to her side.

    "I am never leaving you at a party alone again!"

     The girls eyes widened in realization who it was, her legs stopping as she nearly tumbled from the bike trying to hop off. Her blue yes burning into Steve Harrington's car. He was hanging out the drivers window, an amused look on his face. "Ella called me from the house, said she couldn't find you or Chris. She sounded .. a little nervous? You okay?"

   Vera dropped the bike, hurrying over to the boys car with a twinkling smile. "You actually are a gift from the Gods. I could cry right now. I am so happy to see you." The boy let out a small laugh, "you're actually insane for trying to bike home. Where's Chris?"

   "Uhm, a friend took her home."

   Steve raised a brow, "a friend?" The girl nodded slowly, "yeah! Uh, Eddie.." Steve's eyes seem to widen a little, "she's friends with Eddie Munson?" The girl nodded, "yep!"

   "He couldn't take you home?" Vera smiled gently, "he offered. M'said it was okay." Steve nodded, tapping the outside of his car. "Will you get in, you look like you're freezing? S'not even that cold out?" Vera nodded, "yeah, I know. I don't know what's up with me.." The girl rounded the boys car, slipping into the passenger seat as the boy pressed a kiss to her cold cheek. Wincing at the touch.

     "You're freezing."

  Vera shrugged gently with a small smile, a hand slipping into Steve's—and like a flip of a switch, her hand felt warmer encased in his. "You wanna head home?" The girl leaned back against the seat, "can we drive out to Lover's Lake, you can see the stars better there..

Steve smiled at the girl, pressing a kiss to her knuckles. "Yeah, of course."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.3K 470 26
gilmore girls seasons 2 and 3 jess mariano x fem! oc slow/sporadic updates © voidvaleska
50.9K 2.7K 32
S1-S4 Au / Steve Harrington
136K 4.2K 14
"we got mistletoe and firelight on this cold december night. the snow outside will set the mood as i sing my song for you." or in which you'll follow...