Who You Are: Camilo's Story (...

By bluecherryblossom

Cover by Lintushadow.art A family of four from Bogotá is visiting the Madrigals in the Encanto, now that it... More

The Encounter
An Internal Struggle
Finding Yourself
His Name
The Welcome Party
Behind Closed Doors
Sisters
The Date (Part 1)
The Date (Part 2)
Amalia and the Anole
The Right Time
A Surprise Visit
Decisions
Camilo's Confession
Guardian Angel
Things are Complicated
There is Magic Here
Mirabel's Warning
Time For Dinner
Hanna's Break Down
Bruno's Vision
Come Back Stronger
The Wind-up Doll
A Storm Brewing
Grief and Trauma
Turn the Tables
A Special Gift
Fiesta y Despedidas
A New Life

Influence

316 18 0
By bluecherryblossom

Camilo and Mirabel walked quickly along the trail from Casita, only to come to an abrupt halt as they approached the edge of town. The sound of a violin could be heard coming from the square. Camilo and Mirabel looked at each other for a moment before heading towards the sound of the music. When they approached the square, they saw a large crowd gathered around the church steps. Isabela and Luisa could be spotted on the left side while Mrs. Engel, Alma, and Agustín were on the right. Camilo stood at the very back of the crowd craning his neck to see what was going on and found Hanna standing at the front with her back towards him. He immediately pushed his way passed the people to stand right next to her. Hanna looked up at him and her face broke into a smile. "Hey," she said, blushing slightly.

"Hey," Camilo said, smiling back at her.

Mirabel caught up to them and stood on the other side of Hanna. "Hola," she said in a friendly voice.

Hanna looked over at her. "Oh! Um... Hi," she said, taken aback.

The three of them turned their gaze to the display in front of them. There, stood Amalia on the church steps. Her eyes were closed, and her fingers were dancing feverishly on the strings of her violin as she moved her bow effortlessly with every Ricochet, Legato, and Sautillé. Cal was standing at the foot of the steps on Amalia's left with his arms folded and slightly nodding his head at the crowd with a prideful look on his face. The people in the village stared in complete awe as Amalia continued to play flawlessly. Isabela was also looking impressed by the performance.

"Wow! She is incredible! Isn't she?" said Senora Pezmuerto.

"Magnifico," Osvaldo said, nodding his head in agreement.

"I heard her father say that she held her first concert at the age of twelve! In front of hundreds of people, no less!" said Cecilia's dad.

The whole crowd was murmuring in amazement.

Hanna was the only one staring at Amalia without looking impressed. She had poured her heart and soul into her quena performance on those steps, only to have it be cast into shadow by her sister's glowing perfection. She was being outshined. Camilo, who noticed Hanna's expression, took her hand and held it tightly. Hanna looked up at him and smiled again. She tightened her grip on his hand before looking back at Amalia. Mirabel, who saw them holding hands, gave Camilo a warning look. But he shook his head at her, refusing to let go. Instead, he moved to stand behind Osvaldo so that he and their linked hands were obscured from view.

After one long crescendo, Amalia lifted her bow from her violin, and the music fell silent. The crowd then erupted into loud applause.

Cal addressed them. "You see that, everyone? Now that is talent!" he boasted.

As Cal continued to gloat, Amalia looked around and spotted Hanna in the crowd. But when Amalia saw Mirabel standing right next to her, her expression turned into a scowl. Mirabel smiled, awkwardly back at her. Isabela and Luisa exchanged looks of concern as Amalia continued to glare in their sister's direction.

Agustin approached the steps, still clapping his hands. "That was certainly brilliant," he said kindly to Amalia.

She looked over at him. "Thank you," she said, politely.

"Oh, you haven't heard anything just yet, compadre!" said Cal. "In fact, I think this crowd would like to hear more!" He then turned towards the crowd again and asked them, "Am I right?"

The crowd interjected in agreement. "Las bis! Las bis! Las bis!" they chanted.

Amalia obliged with a curtsy, raised her bow to her violin, and began to play once more.

After a minute into the song, Mirabel looked over to her right side to check on Hanna, only to discover that she wasn't there. When Mirabel looked all around, she saw that both Hanna and Camilo had vanished from the crowd completely. "Oh, come on!" she exclaimed.

Camilo was leading Hanna by the hand away from the audience and the town square. They kept striding passed the houses until they approached the barn and paddock where the donkeys were being kept. When Camilo was sure there was no one else nearby, he wrapped his arms around Hanna who immediately embraced him back. Hanna looked up, and Camilo kissed her without hesitation. She was taken by surprise, but then she closed her eyes and relaxed into the kiss. Camilo's hands slid down to her waist while her hands gripped his shoulders. Then they broke apart. Camilo smiled and touched his forehead to hers.

"Thanks for getting me out of there," Hanna said.

"Por supuesto," said Camilo.

They went to sit together on the bales of hay that were stacked against the barn wall. A couple of the donkeys grazing around the paddock stopped at the fence to look up at them lazily.

Camilo and Hanna sat together for a minute or two, not saying a word to one another. Then finally, Camilo broke the silence.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" he asked.

"No," Hanna said, looking down at her lap.

"You sure?" asked Camilo, noticing the contradictory look in her eyes.

Hanna paused in thought for a moment before she spoke.

"Did I ever mention how perfect my sister is?" she asked, sadly.

"Si," said Camilo. "And as I mentioned, I don't think that's true."

"But you saw that crowd out there," said Hanna. "I'm pretty sure they clapped louder for her than they did for us."

"So what? That doesn't mean she's perfect," Camilo said. "And those people don't think any less of you."

Hanna didn't respond. Instead, she continued to look down at her lap.

Camilo gently put his hand under her chin and lifted her head up to look at him.

"Hanna, it's okay," he said, softly. "Just...spill. Let it out. Tell me how you're feeling."

Hanna looked into his eyes.

"I'm...so...," she said, softly. "I'm...sad.... frustrated...and...angry...." She paused after the last word.

"Keep going," said Camilo.

Hanna then stood up and started to pace back and forth in front of him.

"My whole life...I kept thinking that there was something wrong...with me," she said. "And if I could just somehow fix that...if I could only be just as smart, and talented, and do things just as perfectly as Lia then...things would be different! But they're not! Nothing changed! And the only explanation I could think of was because...there's something about me that just... can't be... forgiven. But...I didn't stop trying because I thought...it was better to try and be perfect rather than not!"

Camilo said nothing. He kept listening to her rant while she continued to pace around.

"I wondered if there was something I did wrong...but...it's been like this as far back as I can remember!" said Hanna. "It could've started from the day I was born for all I know. So how could it be something I did?"

She stopped to look at Camilo sadly. "What's wrong with me!?" she asked.

"Absolutely nothing," said Camilo, simply.

After another long pause, Hanna began to pace back and forth once more.

"My sister...was always there for me," she said. "I always looked up to her...I was very dependent on her. Maybe a bit too much... I thought we were close... But recently she's become so controlling! And now I'm starting to think... in reality, she's been looking down on me this whole time! This morning I asked her if she loves being perfect. She didn't answer me, but...it sure looks like she enjoys all the attention she gets. From our parents. From everyone! And I'm...I'm jealous! I always have been! But I could never express it because...we keep everything unattractive buried out of sight! Swept under the rug! AND I'M TRULY SICK OF IT!"

Hanna stopped pacing to stand there, catching her breath. The donkeys that were watching her were now looking surprised. When Hanna looked up at Camilo, she saw him still staring at her with a soft expression on his face.

Then he smiled.

"Come here," he said, gesturing with his hand for her to sit back down with him. When she did, he took her hand and looked her in the eye.

"Do you know what you just did?" he asked her, quietly.

"I...got mad," said Hanna, ashamed.

"Well, yes," said Camilo. "But that's not what I meant."

Hanna looked at him questioningly.

In a gentle voice, Camilo said, "You just showed me a part of you that...you probably have kept hidden all this time. Even from your own family. Right?"

Hanna thought about it and then nodded.

"While it may not have been anything good, it was real. And it was you. It was all you," said Camilo. "And so, I'm gonna treasure that moment. Because you shared it with me first."

"Really?" Hanna asked in surprise.

"Yep," said Camilo, grinning at her. "And just so it's clear, there's nothing wrong with you, and you didn't do anything wrong. Your father is the one with the problem. Not you," Hanna could hear the anger in his voice as he spoke the word 'father.'

"You think so?" she asked.

"Obviously!" said Camilo. "But...believe me. I understand that it can be a scary thing to stand up to your own family."

At that moment, Mirabel's past voice started to echo within Camilo's mind.

'You're the one breaking our home! The miracle is dying because of you!'

"I wish I had the courage to stand up to him," Hanna said. She leaned her head on Camilo's shoulder.

"Well, if you keep this up, that time may come," he said, softly.

He then wrapped his arms around her. "Also, you don't have to be jealous," he added. "You were amazing with your quena that day. I think your performance was more special than any of your sister's could ever be. Because it took guts for you to do it. You had never played in front of people before, but you didn't let that stop you! You saw it through to the end. And you did great! Everyone was cheering for you! And no one, absolutely no one, can take that away from you."

Hanna smiled as she continued to lean on Camilo's shoulder. "Well, let's not forget who was also there to make it special," she said. "Also, I think all those people really do love you, Camilo. You were probably just... never really given the chance to stop and see it for yourself. Because you were always so busy making them happy."

Camilo paused for a moment, once again feeling deeply moved by her words. He tightened his hold on her and whispered, "Gracias, querida."

Hanna lifted her head to look into his eyes. Camilo gave her a tiny kiss on the lips. Hanna grinned and kissed him back in the same manner.

"You know what else?" Camilo asked.

"What?" asked Hanna, curiously.

"Your sister could never hold my attention like you can," he said.

Hanna blushed. Camilo closed his eyes and leaned in to press his lips to hers once more. She closed her own eyes and kissed him back. Camilo's hands slid back to Hanna's waist.

Suddenly, the sound of someone clearing their throat could be heard from nearby.

Camilo and Hanna broke apart to see Mirabel standing in front of them with her hand over her face. Her eyes peered through the spaces of her fingers.

"I finally found you!" she said, keeping her face covered.

Camilo stared at her.

"You saw nothing. Okay?" he said to her.

Mirabel looked at him disgruntled. "I wish I saw nothing!" she exclaimed.

"What are you doing here?" Camilo asked, annoyed.

Mirabel folded her arms, still looking disgruntled.

"While the dad was preoccupied with Amalia's little concert, the mother's been asking where Hanna is!" she said. "So, before she could catch up to me, I ran all the way back to Casita just to ask Dolores where you two were." She then looked over at Hanna. "And yes, I know that you know they all have powers. So, it shouldn't be a surprise."

Hanna stood up immediately and approached Mirabel. "I'm sorry," she said. "I'll go back now."

Camilo got up to follow her, still looking quite irritated for being interrupted.

When Camilo, Hanna, and Mirabel made it back to the square, they could see the crowd of people already dispersing from the church. Everyone was looking at Hanna with smiles on their faces as she passed by. Hanna looked back at them confused. "Why is everyone looking at me like that?" she asked. Mirabel shrugged. Hanna looked at Camilo, but he was just as lost. Amalia was still on the steps, having packed her violin, and was now listening to her father talking.

"There they are!" said Luisa. She had spotted the three of them from a distance. Isabela, Mrs. Engel, and Agustín were also there waiting for them.

Hanna was the first to approach them with Camilo and Mirabel following right behind her.

"Mother? What's going on?" she asked.

"It has been decided that you'll be performing during the festival they are holding here in the village," said Mrs. Engel.

"What!? Me?" Hanna exclaimed. She turned around to look at Camilo and Mirabel in surprise, but both shrugged at her at the same time.

Hanna looked back at her mother and Agustín. "But how?" she asked in disbelief.

"It was Abuela's idea," said Agustín, happily. "She, and the crowd, were able to persuade Cal to let both you and your sister perform!"

Hanna's jaw dropped. How in the world did Abuela do that? She then asked, "Both of us...together?"

"Well, no," said Agustin, ruffling the back of his head. "You both will have your own solo performances with the instrument of your choice."

"Solo?" Hanna asked, meekly.

"Yes. I figured you would like some... accompaniment," said Agustín, glancing over at Camilo. "But Cal said it would be better for you to...learn to perform on your own."

"Oh...," said Hanna.

Camilo saw Hanna looking very uncomfortable. He could feel anger rising within him once again. Though he couldn't quite fathom what the reasons were, he was convinced that Hanna's father was testing her. Either that or he simply didn't care and was just going along with it all just to keep up appearances. But then Camilo saw Hanna look over at him. Her expression had changed into one of determination. With her hands clenched into fists, she looked back at Agustín and said, "Alright! I'll do it!"

"Magnifico," said Agustín. "And not to worry. It won't be a contest or anything. This is a great chance for everyone to have fun. So, absolutely no pressure!"

Hanna nodded. 'This is my chance!' she thought to herself.

Now Camilo grinned. 'That's right! Do it for you!' he thought.

All the while, Mrs. Engel was staring in surprise at the look on her youngest daughter's face.

"Well, Julieta will certainly be looking forward to this," Agustín said, excitedly. "I'm gonna go tell her the great news!" And he left to go back to Casita.

Mrs. Engel looked over at Hanna and then to Mirabel who smiled at her kindly. "Um...I'm going to...go talk to your father. Excuse me," Mrs. Engel said, awkwardly. She then walked off, leaving Hanna with Camilo, Mirabel, Isabela, and Luisa.

Isabela looked over at Hanna, "Are you sure you're gonna be okay performing on your own?" she asked in a sweet voice.

Hanna gazed at the stunning, young woman in front of her. "Yeah, I'll be fine," she said. "I just... gotta learn to be strong."

Luisa's bottom lip trembled upon hearing this.

Isabela smiled. "Well, not to worry. We're all here for you if you need us," she said, winking at her.

Hanna stared at her, curiously.

At that moment, Amalia's voice could be heard from the middle of the square. "Come on, Hanna! Let's go!" she called.

Hanna waved goodbye to everyone, saving a loving look for Camilo last, and hurried to catch up with her family.

When they had left, Isabela turned to look at Mirabel. "By the way, Amalia told me something...odd," she said.

"And what's that?" Mirabel asked, nervously.

Isabela took a deep breath before she answered, "She... thinks you're a bad influence."

"WHAT!?" Mirabel shouted, incredulously.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

364K 7.8K 15
* THIS IS REALLY OLD AND SCRAPPY PLUS, Y/N IS THE MAIN CHARACTER. IF YOU DONT LIKE THAT LEAVE * "ᴍɪ ᴀᴍᴏʀ...ɢɪꜰᴛ ᴏʀ ɴᴏ ɢɪꜰᴛ, ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʀᴇ ꜱᴛɪʟʟ ꜱᴏ ᴍᴜᴄʜ ᴍᴏ...
5.1K 89 19
The Madrigals, a well known family of the land of Colombia, who inherits magic which is known as a gift. The Valenlzuelas, also a well known family...
7K 212 37
Ah, yes. Marriage on paper. That's okay, it's normal for someone your family anyway. But why does it have to be him? Camilo, the Madrigals' eldest ma...
77.6K 1.8K 19
"Another Encanto? You can't be serious...right?" Y/N and their family come from a village a little far from Encanto. They've always known that the "g...