Freaks: Year One

Per CuteK86

All of a sudden, the compartment door opened, and a person came in and slammed it shut. Jasper looked at the... Més

A/N
I Am Not A Freak
Diagon Alley
Platform 9 And 3/4
The Sorting
New Family
The History Of Flying
Crinus Muto!
An Encounter
Herbology
Unwanted Attention
Some Things Just Needed To Stay A Secret
Dark Forces
Vinegar
Inside
Quidditch And Surveys
The House Next Door
Don't Give Dorothy A Bat
A Way To Get Revenge
A Rainbow Of Puffs
A Memory Was Missing
The Opening Match
Halloween
A Symbol Of Friendship
Don't Let The Spiders Bite
Snow Days
The Christmas Party
He Taught Me The Truth
I Will Never Forget You
A Good Christmas
Different Together
Magic Stealer
A Close One
Another Enemy
Rejected
The Frog Murderer
Your Duty
A Bad Influence
Worries
Flying Lessons
Terrified For The Future
Nightmares
Take A Break
Happy Birthday
Family Issues
A Very Special Owl
This Stupid Holiday
A Bad Kisser
Abandoned
You Need To Be Normal
He Is All I Have
A Decision
Tradition
The Month Of May
QUACK!
He's My Little Brother, Not A Duck!
He Was Still A Kid
More Similar Than They Thought
You Are Wanted
How A Letter Can Change Your Life

Let Me Help You!

157 7 19
Per CuteK86

Ableism.

Alabaster was once again at his window, eyes scanning over the same scenery that had been there for 10 years. Despite his recent run in with a muggle, mudblood, and halfblood, he still very much enjoyed looking out at all the nature surrounding the house. Yes the view was the same, but it was autumn which meant the leaves changed colours, and he always liked looking at the trees - at the changes they go through during this short period of time.

He wished when he went outdoors to visit Diagon Alley, he spent more time appreciating his surroundings, the grass, the sky, the owls, the trees, literally anything, but his parents specifically told him to look around at the shops, and not to speak to anyone, and he already disobeyed them with that.

Even with looking around the shops, and the supplies he didn't do much of - he was just very overwhelmed by everything. The people. The noise. 

When he went to Hogwarts next year he would finally be allowed to go outside whenever he wanted to. He would get to see new things, meet new people, and he had been dying to do that, to explore, and he would get used to the other stuff, all the noise, and all the people. One of his parents' policies was you were not allowed out until you went to Hogwarts - well for him it was.

His parents had him follow a long list of rules. Most of them applied to him, and him only. Not his younger sister or brother, but to him. (Well his brother was only one, and a half, but still.) His parents placed many expectations on him being the oldest child.

His door opened, and his sister Adelaide peeked into his room.

"You're supposed to knock before you enter a room." Alabaster told her.

She slowly entered the room seeing that he was ready. "I forgot?" She looked down the hall, and then back towards him. "It's time for lessons. Mother will be mad if you're late again."

Alabaster approached her. "It's time already?" He looked at the clock, and apparently it was. He had gotten distracted by looking out the window again.

Adelaide nodded. "Come on!" She gestured for him to follow, and he did. They both went into the hallway, and walked down the staircase to the living room. Their mother was sitting in a high backed chair reading the Daily Prophet.

She did not acknowledge that they both entered the room. She just kept reading the Daily Prophet for a few minutes until she suddenly folded it, and stared at the both of them. She checked the clock on the mantle, and looked back at them. "Right on time." She looked at Alabaster. "Though I suspect that if your sister didn't inform you it was time, you would have been late?"

Alabaster hesitated.

"Answer when you are spoken to."

"Yes mother."

His mother mused for a moment. "Come here." Alabaster walked over to her slowly. She snapped her fingers. "Now." He quickened his pace. "Do we have to go over how to tell time? Because you should know by now. Your sister does." She indicated to Adelaide. "So...what's the problem?"

"I can tell time, I just got distracted-"

"Okay, what is the time then?" His mother asked.

Alabaster looked at the clock on the mantle. He squinted. "Er...9:02."

"Good." His mother said. She looked him in the eye which made him nervous. "Don't get distracted again."

Alabaster nodded.

She gave him a stern look, and handed him a book. "Read this." He stared at the book in his hands for a beat, and then went to sit at the table while Adelaide got her own book to read. Their mother left them both to read their assigned books while she checked on their younger brother, Atticus.

Alabaster slowly opened the book, and looked at the words on the page before him. The page looked like a jumble of words that he couldn't decipher, not to mention it was a bit blurry as well.

He didn't understand why the words appeared like this. Did they do that for everyone? His sister, who was eight, seemed to read, and write just fine so that couldn't be it. It was only him who had this problem. His mother constantly complained about it, about how stupid he was. Reading should've been easy, but it wasn't.

Not to him anyways.

And he didn't know why.

His parents just told him he was stupid.

Which was true.

I mean what ten year old couldn't read or write properly? His sister was eight, and she could do both perfectly.

"Do you want help?" Whispered Adelaide sensing his frustration.

"No Adelaide." Alabaster said. "I can do it myself." He would be frustrated, but he had to. He needed to learn how to do the basics before he went to Hogwarts, if he didn't...he would just have to make sure no one knew.

He continued to look at the words on the page, not processing anything. The words got all twisted, he didn't get what he was seeing, it was all a blur. He hated it. "Nan ittha sai alathe." (I can't do this.) He murmured.

Adelaide looked over. "Onnku theriyum amma onna innum English passai sonna, paillkodam ke." (You know mother wants you to speak more English for school.)

Alabaster sighed. "Enna ke theriyum - I mean I know." He was just frustrated. He always slipped into Tamil when he got frustrated or upset, it was just an odd habit.

"I can still help you." Adelaide told him. "I don't want mother to get mad at you, I know you're trying." Her eyes were full of understanding, and pity. He didn't want pity. He just wanted to be able to do simple things himself. He loved his sister, she was understanding about it all, but he wished there was a way to fix himself. "It's just - Adelaide, how am I going to go to Hogwarts next year if I can't read, or write properly. Everyone is going to know I am stupid."

Adelaide was quiet for a moment, thinking. "Well I could always read your textbooks to you."

Alabaster looked at her. "You're not going to Hogwarts with me though. Not yet."

"I mean before. When you get your textbooks I can make a summary of the content, and read it to you before you go off to Hogwarts." Adelaide said. "You have a good memory, I am sure you could remember some things."

Alabaster bit his lip. "Maybe, but-"

"We still have time." Adelaide said, trying to reassure her brother. "And who knows, maybe Hogwarts will have something to help you."

Alabaster sighed. "I hope so."

"But in the meantime." Adelaide took the book from his hands. "I can read it to you."

Alabaster shook his head. "But if mother finds out-"

"Amma kandapudiku mattangu, ne vaya muddikontha irratha. Let me help you!" (She won't find out if you keep quiet, let me help you!) Adelaide said angrily.

Alabaster just let her take the book. Adelaide had a bit of a temper, and you didn't want to anger his little sister. "But-"

"Let me help you!" She repeated.

He sighed giving up, there was no point in arguing with her. "Okay, but-"

"Look, we have the same book." Oh he is at the level of his eight year old sister, nice. "If I read quietly, everything will be fine. I don't want mother to use the discipline curse on you, because you can't read this book." She opened it. "Because even though you have a problem with reading, I hate seeing you in pain because of it."

Alabaster was thankful for his sister. He understood why his parents disciplined him due to his problem. He should have been able to read, and write like every other person in the world. To everyone he was stupid. So he understood why he got treated the way he did. Adelaide was different though, she didn't understand his problem, he didn't either, but she tried her best to help him. His parents had originally done that too, until nothing seemed to be working, and they just deemed there was something wrong with him.

So Adelaide read the passage to him a few times to give him time to memorise it, so when their mother came down he would hopefully be convincing enough when he read her the passage himself.

His mother stared at him with slight suspicion when he finished reading it to her. He put down the book, and hoped it was good enough. "Good..." She said slowly. "Did your sister help you?"

"No mother." Said Adelaide. "I read my own book."

Their mother looked sceptical, and was about to say something when Atticus started to cry again from upstairs. "Can't that baby ever be quiet?" Their mother grumbled as she went up the stairs again. She turned to them again halfway up the staircase. "You better have not lied to me, or else you'll both be in trouble." And she left the two of them alone.

Once Alabaster was sure she was out of earshot, he turned to his sister, and said in a worried low voice. "See, now we're both going to get in trouble, not just me. I told you you shouldn't have helped."

Adelaide shrugged. Their mother hadn't found out they were both lying so there was no harm in it. "We are done with reading for the day anyway, now it's writing." She went over to the cabinet, and pulled out some parchment, ink, and two quills. "Here." She handed it to him. He lay out the parchment, and quill in front him, and slowly dipped the quill in ink. They were supposed to write a summary of the book they had just read, and luckily he could, it would just take a long time with a myriad of spelling mistakes.

The daily routine was reading, writing, piano (which he enjoyed, he was actually good at it, and he found a sense of calm with it), French, and numbers. Numbers were easier for him to understand than letters, and he did enjoy learning another language.

"Wednesday has a D in it, remember?" Adelaide pointed to the date at the top of the parchment. "And an E after the N."

"Oh, um sorry." He scribbled it out, and rewrote it. Wednesday didn't sound like it had a D in it, it sounded like it went straight to the N.

Wensday.

...That was not the point.

"It's fine." Adelaide continued to write on her own parchment.

Oh how thankful he was for his sister.

She seemed to be the one who understood. Even Alabaster had trouble understanding his problem, but Adelaide didn't hate him for it (he didn't think his parents hated him for it, he hoped not), she tried to help him through it. She didn't seem to ridicule him for it, which he was thankful for.

She looked over. "You spelt the word pronunciation wrong." She indicated the word. Alabaster wondered how she was such a good speller. "It is the letter U, not the letter O. Maybe when you go to Hogwarts they will allow you to use a spell checking quill..." Alabaster nodded at this. "But for now, I think you are going to be fine."

He gave her a small smile. "Thanks." 

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

Whispers Per Nope

Fanfiction

7.8K 302 62
Clarissa Black has always lived a normal wizard life, with her twin brother Sirius. She lived eleven years at Grimmauld Place, creating a shell that...
145K 3.2K 32
Elladora Zhavia Ursula Black I,daughter of Walburga and Orion Black, sister to Regulus Arcturus and Sirius Orion III.She had continued the Black trad...
519K 14.6K 52
*WARNING! This book contains mature themes such as drinking, drug use, explicit language, mentions of suicide, sexual content, abuse, and more. Pleas...
724K 25.2K 34
COMPLETED» 4/13/18 First Draft✔️ Second Draft: in progress • Featured on Wattpad's Official @Fanfic Harry Potter reading list • • First story to be f...