Sound of Surviving

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Nevaeh and her family are transported to another world. One is cursed to forget and two are cursed to remembe... More

Aesthetic and Playlist
Hatter Family Season One
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
Hatter Family Season Two
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
Hatter Family Season Three
45
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
Hatter Family Season Four
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
Hatter Family Season Five
89
90

46

56 1 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

NEVERLAND - PRESENT

Mr. Gold conjured a fireball to start a campfire. He froze his shadow on a large rock and used his dagger to cut his shadow from his feet. "You know what to do. Hide it where no one can find it, not even me."

---

On another part of the island, Hook said, "The ridge is just a few hundred paces up ahead."

Emma frowned. "You really think we're gonna be able to see Pan's hideout?"

"From there, we should be able to see everything, including where he's keeping your son and my daughter," Nevaeh reasoned.

"You know, I could have just puffed us up here in an instant," Regina said.

"Where?" Hook asked. "Have you any idea what's up here or anywher? There are dangers all about. Only I can guide us past them."

Emma nodded. "He's right. Hook's lived here before. If he says hiking up is the best way, then we listen."

Mary Margaret handed Emma a flask. "Here. You need to stay hydrated."

"Thanks, Mary Margaret," Emma replied as she took the flask and drank from it.

"You know, "Mary Margaret" is a bit formal. You could call me "mom" if you want. You've done it before."

"That was back when..."

"...we were about to die. Oh no, I get it." They caught up with the rest of the group.

In the front, David cut down branches blocking their path. He saw a patch of thorns and moved to slash them, but Hook stopped him. "No. No!"

"I can handle a couple of thorns," David said.

"That's dream shade. It's not the thorns you have to worry about. It's the poison they inject you with. This plant is the source of the toxins I used on The Dark One."

"The poison that almost killed Gold?"

Hook nodded. "Indeed. I used a concentrated dose. In its natural form, death would be much slower and far more painful. I suggest we go this way."

"We'll go this way." He went off as Mary Margaret and Regina followed.

"Your father's a distrustful fellow."

"He's just not used to working with the bad guys," Emma replied.

"I can assure you, on this island, I am not the bad guy."

"Yeah, well, Pan's not supposed to be one either."

"What possibly gave you that idea?"

"Every story I ever heard as a child."

"Well, they got it all wrong. Pan is the most treacherous villain I've ever faced. Tell me something, luv. In these stories... what was I like? Other than a villain. Handsome, I gather."

"If waxed mustaches and perms are your thing." She walked away.

"I take it by your tone, perms are bad?"

"Up here!" David yelled. "We made it."

"Pan's lair should be just... right..."

Regina cut him off. "Where? All I see is jungle."

"Aye. The Dark Jungle." Hook took out his telescope to survey the land. "It's, uh, grown so much since I last stepped foot in Neverland."

Regina sighed. "So this nature hike was for nothing."

"Hook may have led us astray, but at least we're in a good position to start combing the jungle," David told them.

"Not exactly," Hook said. "The Dark Jungle's the last place you wanna set foot. We'll have to go around it. In order to do that, we're gonna need our strength. I suggest we make camp."

Regina frowned. "You wanna sleep while my son is out there suffering?"

"If we want to live long enough to save the boy... Yes."

"You okay?" Mary Margaret asked.

"Regina's right," Emma answered. "Henry and Grace are out there somewhere."

"And Hook is right. We have to survive if we're going to get him."

"I know. I just hope we're not too late."

"After everything your father and I have been through, there's one thing we've learned. It is never too late."

Nevaeh glanced at her husband and he took her hand, silently reassuring both her and himself that they'd find the children.

THE ENCHANTED FOREST - PAST

Prince Charming was riding through the land on a steed. He came upon the forest, and Snow White resting in death inside a glass coffin, surrounded by the Seven Dwarves.

"No," Prince Charming said. "No! Open it." The dwarves removed the coffin lid. Prince Charming kissed Snow White, and a burst of magic erupted.

---

A guard rushed through the Evil Queen's palace, carrying a mirror channeling the Magic Mirror.

"Careful!" the Magic Mirror warned. "If you drop me I'll make sure you have fourteen years of bad luck! Your Majesty?"

"I told you never to disturb me out here," the Evil Queen told him.

"Trust me. I haven't disturbed you yet. Just wait until you see this."

"He woke her?"

"Indeed. True love's kiss apparently can break any curse."

"Will you marry me?" Prince Charming asked.

"What do you think?" Snow White replied.

"That will be one hell of a wedding," the Magic Mirror commented. "There won't be a dry eye in the entire realm."

"Quiet!" the Evil Queen yelled.

"Let's take back the kingdom," Snow White said.

"We'll see about that."

---

At a village, Snow White, Prince Charming and the dwarves attempted to rally a group of commoners with a speech.

Snow White said, "The Evil Queen murdered my father, put me under a Sleeping Curse, but I am not the only one she has made to suffer."

"Yeah," the crowd agreed.

"She's terrorized us for far too long."

"Yeah!"

"This kingdom doesn't belong to her. It belongs to us!"

"Yeah!"

"So who is ready to stand beside me and fight for what's rightfully ours?!"

No one responded. The Evil Queen materialized behind the crowd and said, "Quite the courageous army you're building."

The townspeople fled in fright while Snow White and her entourage didn't move.

"They may be afraid of you, but we are not."

"Why? Because you and the shepherd broke my sleeping curse?"

Snow White and Prince Charming drew their swords at her. The Evil Queen magically bound Prince Charming with a rope before saying, "Lucky for you, I didn't come here to fight. I came to offer you a deal. Consider it an engagement present."

"Snow, don't listen to a single word!" Prince Charming told her.

"Are you really gonna marry that?"

"What do you want?" Snow White demanded.

"I want you to give up your claim to the throne. If you declare me the rightful ruler of this land, I'll let you, the dwarves, and your so-called prince escape back to the sheep farm he once called home."

"Exile?"

"Well, I've tried to kill you. I've tried to curse you, and none of its worked. But then I realized I was going about it all wrong. You need to be alive. You need to be awake. So you can spend all your days knowing that I have taken everything that was supposed to be yours. Now get down on your knees and swear on your father's grave that this kingdom belongs to me."

"And if I don't?"

"Well, then someone will pay the price." She used her magic to lift up one of the female villagers; choking her.

"Stop!" With sword in hand, she charged at the Evil Queen, who disappeared in a cloud of smoke at the last moment, dropping the village girl. Prince Charming broke out of his binds, aiding the villager. "Is she okay?"

"Yeah," Prince Charming replied.

"Next time she won't be," the Evil Queen warned. "You have until sundown tomorrow to give up the throne. And for every day that you defy me, I will kill one of your loyal subjects. Stop denying who you are, Snow White. You may have been a princess, but you will never be a queen."

NEVERLAND - PRESENT

The sound of crying children woke Emma and Nevaeh from their slumber.

Emma and Nevaeh spoke to Mary Margaret, Jefferson and David. "Guys, wake up!" They didn't stir, so they trekked into the jungle alone, following the sound.

Pan appeared behind them. "You hear that, too? You're Emma and Nevaeh, right? I wonder why they can't hear the crying."

"Who are you?" Emma and Nevaeh asked.

"Oh, did I forget to introduce myself? I'm Peter. Peter Pan," Pan said.

Emma and Nevaeh pinned Pan against a tree, holding their swords at his throat. "Where's Henry?"

"You've both got fire. I like fire."

"Where's my son?" Emma demanded.

"Where's my daughter?" Nevaeh asked sharply.

"Henry and Grace are still alive, if that's what you're both worried about," Pan told them.

"Why the hell did you take them?" Emma asked.

"He's a very special boy, Emma. Grace is a very special girl, Nevaeh."

"I know. That doesn't answer my question. What do you want with them?"

"I came here to see who I was up against. The "Savior" and "White Queen'. Gotta say, I'm not disappointed."

"What do you say now? You're gonna tell us how we're never gonna see Henry and Grace again?" Nevaeh retorted.

"No. I'm going to help you find them. I'll give you a map. A map that will lead you straight to her son and your daughter. Well, stepdaughter."

"If this is some kind of trap..."

"I may not be the most well-behaved boy on the island, but I always keep my promises. The path to finding Henry and Grace is on this parchment."

"Why are you giving it to us?" Emma wondered.

"See, it's not about finding Henry and Grace. It's about how you find them. And, Emma, Nevaeh, you are the only ones who can."

Emma opened the parchment to reveal a blank map. "It's blank."

"You two will only be able to read that map when you both stop denying who you really are."

---

At their camp, Emma, Nevaeh, Jeffersom, Hook and Regina were talking.

"He so likes his games," Hook said.

"What game?" Regina asked. "There's nothing there."

"If he said there's a map on this parchment, then there is."

"Great. So if Nevaeh and I just stop denying who we really are, whatever that means, then we'll be able to read this thing," Emma said.

Regina frowned. "But how do we know Pan won't use it to lead us straight into a trap?"

"Because he doesn't need to," Hook replied. "This whole island's his bloody trap."

David and Mary Margaret came back from searching the jungle.

"There's no sign of him anywhere," David informed.

"Any luck with the map?" Mary Margaret asked.

"Don't hold your breath," Regina said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Emma wondered.

"Don't you see what he's doing? Every second we spend talking about this is another second we're not looking for my son and her daughter."

"You got a better idea?"

"Magic. If there's a lock on there, I'll find a way around it."

"Pan said it had to be me and Emma," Nevaeh said.

"I'd listen to Nevaeh and Emma, love," Hook told her. "Breaking Pan's rules would be unwise."

"Sadly, I agree with the pirate," David said reluctantly.

"I'm winning you over. I can feel it."

"And your magic doesn't exactly have a gentle touch, Regina," Mary Margaret reminded her.

"Use it on the map, it might blow up in all our faces," David warned.

"Well, that's a risk I'm willing to take," Regina replied.

"Well, Nevaeh and I aren't," Emma retorted. "If we're the ones who're supposed to figure out this thing, we need to do what Pan said."

"Great."

"They'll get there," Mary Margaret reassured. "Hey. Don't give up. He's playing a game. You can win."

THE ENCHANTED FOREST - PAST

Snow White, Prince Charming and the dwarves discussed their options.

"We can't win," Snow White said. "We have to leave the kingdom."

"How can you even consider giving in to that witch?" Prince Charming replied. "When you're gone, do you think she's suddenly gonna stop menacing this land? And who will protect the people then?"

"Did I protect them today? I couldn't even help that poor girl. And don't kid yourself. She isn't gonna stop with the peasants. She's going to come after the people who are closest to me."

"I will stand by your side no matter what," Grumpy told her.

"Even if it means our death," Happy added.

"Which it probably will," Sleepy stated and everyone looked at him in bewilderment.

"You can't let her get into your head," Prince Charming said.

"She has a point," Snow White noted. "I'm no queen. I'm no leader. I'm just a girl who lost her parents, ran away into the woods, and became a bandit."

"You're Snow White."

"Yes. And the truth is, I don't even know who that is. But I know what I don't wanna be, and that's alone."

"That's never gonna happen."

"You're right. If we take her offer, we can all live together in exile, but at least we'll be alive. We should leave tomorrow." She got up to walk away.

"Snow!"

"Let her go," Grumpy told him.

"This is her kingdom. We can't just let her walk away from it."

"Why do you suddenly care so much about saving Snow's kingdom?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, if you have true love, what difference does it make whether you live in a castle or on a farm?"

"Wait. You think I'm in this for her crown?"

"You said it, not me."

"Okay. Okay, I get it. I'm new. But trust me. I want what's best for Snow."

"Look, handsome, she may love you, but that chiseled chin ain't foolin' us. We got our eyes on you."

"Are you dwarves with me or against me?"

"I think Grumpy was pretty clear," Sneezy replied.

"Sorry brother," Grumpy said. "Snow's already made up her mind, so if you're looking to change it, you gotta do it without our help."

"Then I'll find another way," Prince Charming decided.

THE DARK CASTLE

Rumplestiltskin spun at his spinning wheel when Prince Charming arrived.

"You again?" Rumplestiltskin said "Didn't I just help you wake your princess?"

"Now I need your help once more," Prince Charming told him. "Long ago you made Snow remember who she was when a spell blinded her. I need you to do it again."

NEVERLAND - PRESENT

Mr. Gold gazed at the doll given him by Felix when there was rustling in the jungle.

Mr. Gold put down the doll and got up to investigate. "Who's there? Show yourself." A cloaked figure grabbed the doll and fled.

"That doesn't belong to you, dearie." He chased the culprit, catching him and removing his hood. To his surprise, it was Belle. "Belle?"

Mr. Gold and Belle were talking.
"Belle. I don't understand. How did you get here?" Mr. Gold wondered.

"I thought you didn't dress like that anymore," Belle said. "I thought that was your past."

"Well, this is now my future. Becoming this again, The Dark One, that's the only way I'll save my grandson."

"But you haven't completely become him, have you? There's still hope." She leaned in to kiss him, but Mr. Gold broke it off suddenly.

"You're not really here, are you?"

"No, of course not. I'm still in Storybrooke, right where you left me."

"Are you okay? Did the protection spell work?"

"It-it did. We're all fine. Storybrooke's safe. We all are."

"How do I know these aren't just lies meant to lead me astray? How do I know Pan didn't conjure up a vision of you?"

"He didn't. You did."

"What?"

"The question is why."

THE ENCHANTED FOREST - PAST - THE DARK CASTLE

Rumplestiltskin and Prince Charming were in the midst of a conversation.

"You must have something that can change Snow's mind," Prince Charming said.

"If she doesn't wanna fight the Queen, there's nothing I can do to change that," Rumplestiltskin told him.

"I just need a way to make her believe in something that I already know. That she can face Regina and win."

"Magic can't make someone believe, dearie. It works the other way around. Belief must come from within. You know, the Queen's offer was a fair one. Do yourself a favor and take it. Ruling a kingdom ain't all it's cracked up to be. Just ask your dear old brother. Oh, wait. He died. You see my point." He giggled.

"No. I didn't come here to take "no" for an answer. Now you must have something. You always do. Just name your price."

---

Snow White practiced her archery as Prince Charming returned. She failed to hit the target.

"Save those arrows for the Queen," Prince Charming said.

"I told you," Snow White replied. "I've already made up my mind. We're leaving."

"Not when you hear what Rumplestiltskin had to say."

"You more than anyone know that his deals always come with a price."

"And sometimes that price is worth paying. Without his help, you'd still be in that glass coffin."

"What did he say this time?"

"He told me of a legend, a magical weapon, one that can help you reclaim your kingdom."

"Unless he can guarantee more lives won't be lost, I'm not interested."

"Weapon's only a half day's ride from here. We can be there before sundown."

"This weapon, you say it will help me defeat Regina. How?"

"By showing her who you really are."

Snow White let her arrow fly, and it hit the center of the target.

NEVERLAND - PRESENT

Emma was holding the map and trying to "stop denying who she really is".
"My name is Emma Swan," Emma said.

Nevaeh sat next to her also trying the same. "My name is Nevaeh Hatter."

"I'd wager the solution to Pan's riddle is a bit more complicated than that," Hook told them.

"Don't hold anything back," Mary Margaret added.

Emma continued. "I'm Henry's mother. I used to live in Boston, and I was a bailbondsperson. I'm now the sheriff of Storybrooke."

Nevaeh spoke. "I'm Grace's stepmother. I'm from the Enchanted Forest and I'm the White Queen. I'm married to the Mad Hatter, Jefferson, and we have twins named Tatiana and Tobias. My sister Scarlet is the Red Queen."

"That election was a sham. Are we really doing this?" Regina asked.

"Don't you think maybe you're leaving some things out?" Mary Margaret said.

Emma rolled her eyes and continued. "I'm the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming, which apparently makes me the product of true love. I was born in the Enchanted Forest and I was sent through a portal in a tree so that I could break a curse."

"And you were able to break the curse because you're the..." David trailed.

Mary Margaret smiled. "Come on. You don't need to be embarrassed to say it."

"Say what?" Hook wondered.

"The "s" word," Regina and Jefferson answered.

"I'm the savior," Emma said, but the parchment was still blank. "I don't get it. I said I'm the savior. There's nothing I've denied more than that."

Nevaeh sighed. "I'm doubting hope."

"No, it's okay. We'll figure it out," Mary Margaret told them.

"No, you won't," Regina replied, grabbing the parchment.

"Regina!" Emma and Nevaeh yelled.

"But I can. I'm beginning to think there isn't a map on here. That doesn't mean it can't lead us to Henry and Grace."

David frowned. "I thought we decided that using magic was a bad idea."

"For once I agree with the prince," Hook agreed as David looked at him. "Well, I told you we're getting along."

Regina used magic on the map.

"What the hell are you doing?" Emma asked.

"What the hell?!" Nevaeh yelled.

"The locator spell," Regina answered. "This parchment belonged to Pan. It'll lead us to him."

"So it appears we will be venturing into the Dark Jungle after all," Hook commented.

"You mean the place you told us never to set foot?" Emma questioned.

"That's the one."

"Well, Emma, you said you wanted to be the leader," Regina reminded her. "Lead."

---

Mr. Gold and Belle walked to the cliff.

"So do you know why you brought me to the island?" Belle asked.

"I thought you were gonna show me the answer," Mr. Gold replied.

"Only you know that."

"I've already told you."

"No, you haven't."

"I have no idea."

"Yes, you do."

"No."

"You're holding back."

"I'm not."

"You are."

"Belle."

"What is it you're not saying?"

"I'm a coward. I'm just like my father."

"You feel better now, don't you? You know why I'm here."

"You always saw the good in me."

"I still do. And as much as you deny it, I think you see it too. So why am I here? What are you wrestling with?"

"Pan offered me a deal. I let him keep Henry, and he allows me to live. The boy needn't be my undoing."

"And you're afraid you'll make a selfish choice."

"I generally do."

"You abandoned your son, Baelfire, and regretted it your whole life. You don't need to do the same to Henry. Letting go of the past... it's the first step."

"You know, this was the last thing my father gave me."

"And what happened to him?"

"He left me."

"If you don't want to repeat the mistakes he made, you need to let go." Belle departed from the cliff; leaving Mr. Gold with the ragdoll. He made the decision to drop the doll off the cliff.

---

Emma, David, Hook, Nevaeh, Jefferson, Mary Margaret and Regina trekked through the Dark Jungle, following the map.

"Ready to thank me?" Regina asked.

"Actually, yeah," Emma replied.

Nevaeh nodded. "Yes."

"If you'd let me do it sooner, maybe we'd have found him by now?" Regina said. "Wait. He's there. Pan. I can feel his smugness."

David pulled out his sword. "Shall we? While we still have the element of surprise on our side?"

"Careful," Hook warned. "He may look like a boy, but he's a bloody demon."

"Hey. We can do this. You can do this," Mary Margaret told them.

THE ENCHANTED FOREST - PAST

Prince Charming and Snow White traveled through the forest on horseback.

"We're nearly there," Prince Charming said. "We should take the rest of the way on foot." They dismount their horses.

Snow White gazed at Prince Charming before saying, "You know, this is the first time we've been alone since you proposed?"

"Well, privacy is a hard thing to come by when you have seven big brothers keeping an eye on you."

"They're protective."

Prince Charming chuckled. "That's one word for it."

"The dwarves been giving you a hard time?"

"Apart from accusing me of being a gold-digging, social-climbing shepherd... nah."

"I have faith that you'll charm them, just as you charmed me... eventually."

Prince Charming chuckled again. They walked further into the woods until they reached a clearing and Prince Charming said, "According to Rumplestiltskin, the weapon that will defeat Regina lies at the top of this hill."

Snow White exhaled. "This weapon... what does Rumple say of its power? Was it made with dark magic?"

"No, it was forged by a benevolent mage. His name is Merlin, from a realm called Camelot. There it is." They saw the sword stuck in a stone. "Excalibur."

"It's beautiful."

Prince Charming laughed. He attempted to pull the sword out but was unable. He grunted. "It's stuck. You wanna try."

"If you couldn't do it, you really think I can?"

"Well, the legend states only the kingdom's true ruler possesses the strength to free the blade."

"I've never ruled anything."

"Not yet." He whispered, "Go on." Snow White approached the sword. She pulled at it and it released. Snow White gasped with amazement. "You see? You are this kingdom's true leader."

NEVERLAND - PRESENT

Ominous sounds could be heard as Emma, David, Hook, Nevaeh, Jefferson, Mary Margaret and Regina continued trekking through the jungle.

"No one's here," Mary Margaret said. "Maybe your spell was wrong, Regina."

"Yes. Blame me... again," Regina retorted.

Emma and Jackie saw a familiar looking figure. "Guys... Hold on. Is that... Henry!" He turned around to reveal himself as Peter Pan dressed up as Henry.

"Hi, Emma. Hi, Nevaeh," Pan greeted.

"Where the hell are Henry and Grace?" Emma demanded.

"You and Mrs. Hatter broke the rules. That's not fair. Bad form. I expect more from you, Captain."

"Aye, and you'll get it," Hook replied.

"Give Henry and Grace to me," Emma and Nevaeh ordered.

"Sorry. Can't. Don't you know? Cheaters never win." The Lost Boys came from behind Peter Pan shouting and whooping. They surrounded the group armed with bow and arrows as Peter Pan looked on. The group prepared themselves.

"Watch out for their arrows," Hook warned. "They're laced with dream shade." The fight began and the Lost Boys started shooting their arrows. Arrows ricocheted as David blocked them with his sword while Margaret shot arrows herself. A boy shot an arrow at Mary Margaret and Nevaeh and David and Jefferson noticed.

"Mary Margaret!" David yelled, pushing Mary Margaret out of the way and got nipped.

"Veah!" Jefferson cried as he pushed Nevaeh out of the way, also getting nipped.

"David!" Mary Margaret called.

"Jefferson!" Nevaeh shouted.

"I'm good," David said as a boy took aim at Mary Margaret. "Behind you!" Mary Margaret shot the arrow and pinned the boy to a tree while Regina electrocuted some boys with a blast of magic.

Nevaeh looked over her husband's wound and he tried to reassure her it was okay.

"It's been a while, Captain," Felix said.

"Not long enough," Hook answered as they ensued in their sword fight. "You remember what I did to Rufio? Well, it's a far worse fate for you."

Emma raced towards Pan, pushing charging boys to the side. One finally tackled her down and they rolled down the hill. She pinned the boy down.

"Where's Henry and Grace?!" Emma cried. Where are they?!" She stared at the boy and realized something.

"Emma, are you all right?" Mary Margaret asked.

Pan whistled and the Lost Boys assembled. "Remember what I told you. That map will show you where Henry and Grace are... only when you and Nevaeh stop denying who you really are. I'll make sure to send Henry and Grace your regards." The Lost Boys retreated while whooping.

THE ENCHANTED FOREST - PAST - IN THE SMALL VILLAGE

"The Queen!" a man cried. "She's coming!

The Evil Queen's carriage approached the village. All the commoners ran to hide.

"Ready?" Prince Charming asked as Snow White grabbed the sword of Prince Charming.

"What exactly were you two up to today?" Grumpy wondered.

"You'll see," Snow White replied. "I hope."

The carriage stopped and the Evil Queen stepped out before saying, "Well, dear, have you packed your bags."

Snow White glanced at the sword and stepped forward. "I thought about your offer. And everything you said was true. I could go off with Charming and the Dwarfves, and we could find some lovely corner of the world to live out our days, and it would be a wonderful life. But I can't leave my people, not... with.. you."

"Well, in that case..." The Evil Queen magically picked up Grumpy and began to choke him. The other dwarves tried to help without success. The dwarves were all magically thrown back.

"Charming!"

"You can do this," Prince Charming told her. "You. You pulled that sword out of the stone."

"Let him go!" Snow White swung, but the Evil Queen magically disappeared. Snow White swung around and strikes the Evil Queen. Grumpy fell out of the Evil Queen's grasp. Prince Charming helped him up. The Evil Queen touched her face and was surprised to see blood. "You told me to stop denying who I really am. Well, that's exactly what I'm doing. This is my kingdom, and I will fight for it!"

"Then I'll see you on the battlefield."

"We'll be ready."

The Evil Queen magically disappeared and the crowd cheered.

"You okay?" Prince Charming asked, seeing a look that worried him.

NEVERLAND - PRESENT

Emma, David, Hook, Nevaeh, Jefferson, Mary Margaret and Regina returned to their camp.

"You sure you don't want me to take a look at that?" Mary Margaret questioned.

"I was lucky," David replied. "My jacket wasn't. Don't worry about it. I think we have bigger issues." They approached Emma and Nevaeh.

Mary Margaret spoke to Emma and Nevaeh. "Don't let him shake your confidence. We've all had moments where we thought we couldn't prevail."

"She's right," David and Jefferson agreed.

"Guys, not now," Emma told them. "Please." She walked away and Nevaeh followed.

"Emma, Nevaeh, wait." Mary Margaret held David and Jefferson back and they nodded in agreement.

Mary Margaret approached Emma and Nevaeh and took a seat between them. "Please talk to me."

"There's nothing to talk about. We had our chance and we lost -- Nevaeh and I lost," Emma said.

"Then you have to keep fighting."

"You heard what Hook said," Nevaeh told her. "Pan is a demon."

"And you are a-"

"What? A savior? A queen without her throne? Because if that were true, this map would have shown us the way already!"

Mary Margaret got a revelation. "Maybe who you think you are isn't who you really are."

"What do you mean?" Emma asked.

"Sometimes we think we know ourselves, but we need a push to show us the reality. That boy with the knife — you stopped fighting him. Why?"

"'Cause he was... just a boy."

"No. There was something else. I saw it in your eyes. Why did you stop?" She whispered, "Why?"

"Because when I looked at his face, I saw me."

Nevaeh nodded and her voice was soft as she said, "Even at a distance I could see the look in his eye. I was just a girl when my father left."

"Go on."

"That look in his eyes..." Emma inhaled sharply, "the despair. I had it back when I was in the foster system. Just a lost little girl who didn't matter and didn't think she ever would. A little girl who cried herself to sleep at night 'cause..." her voice broke, "she wanted her parents so bad. And could never understand... why they gave her up."

"And then you found us. It was too late."

"It's just, on this island... I-I don't feel like..." she sniffled, "a hero or a savior. I just feel like what I've always been."

"An orphan," Emma and Nevaeh admitted.

"Emma. Nevaeh," Mary Margaret called.

"What?"

Mary Margaret whispered, "Look."

Emma and Nevaeh gasped as the map appeared. "What happened?"

"You accepted who you are."

Emma and Nevaeh exhaled sharply. "...I'm sorry."

"It's okay. It's the truth. You were an orphan. Nevaeh was an orphan. It's my job to change that; for my daughter and my friend."

THE ENCHANTED FOREST - PAST

Snow White found a secluded place in the woods. "Rumplestiltskin! Rumplestiltskin!"

"What do you want?" Rumplestiltskin asked.

"We need to discuss the deal you made with Charming."

"Have to be a bit more specific, dearie."

"He came to you searching for something powerful enough to vanquish the Queen. You told him of Excalibur. Now whatever it is that he promised you in return, I am prepared to pay it. But I won't allow him to remain in your debt."

"How nauseatingly romantic."

"What did he promise you?" Rumplestiltskin stared blankly. "With you, everything comes with a cost."

"It's true. Your prince came to ask for aid fighting the Queen. I told him I had nothing to give, and I didn't."

"Then how did he know where to find Excalibur?"

"Everyone knows it's in Camelot."

"But it's not. I possess it now."

"If that were Excalibur, I wouldn't be able to do... this!" He disintegrated the sword. "Sword's a fake, dearie. Shoddy craftsmanship, too. But then again, what can you expect from a shepherd? Lucky it wasn't made out of wool."

"I struck Regina! I drew blood!"

"Enough of your ramblings!" He tore Snow White's necklace from her neck.

"Please. That belonged to my mother."

"And now it belongs to me. You're right about one thing, dearie. Everything comes with a cost, including wasting my time." He disappeared and Snow White was left alone in silence holding only the sword's hilt.

---

Prince Charming sat by the river contemplating.

"Mind if we join you?" Grumpy asked.

"Please," Prince Charming replied.

"We may owe you a slight apology."

"Slight?"

"Don't get greedy. Take it."

"Okay."

"We should have never have doubted your intentions." He took out a cup and poured Prince Charming a drink.

"You were only looking out for her best interests." Prince Charming raised his cup. "Here's to starting over." Glasses clinkss.

"We need to talk," Snow White said as she walked past angrily. Prince Charming followed behind. Snow White handed him the sword's hilt. "I saw Rumplestiltskin."

"Snow, I can explain."

"So it's true. You planted the sword in that stone."

"I did."

"So you took me on an adventure to find a magically sword because..."

"You needed to believe in something I already knew."

"So when I stood up to Regina-"

"You did that on your own. You had it inside you that entire time. You just... needed some help to realize that."

"But you didn't."

Prince Charming shook his head. Snow White kissed him.

NEVERLAND - PRESENT - THE CAMP

"The map is working. We know where Henry and Grace are," Emma informed.

"Where?" Regina asked.

Hook looked at the map. "Uh... We're here at the southern tip of the isle, in the middle of the Dark Jungle, and Pan's camp lies due north."

"That's where he's keeping Henry and Grace," Nevaeh said.

"What are we waiting for?" Regina and Jefferson wondered.

"Well, the terrain's not easy," Hook told them. "There will undoubtedly be some nasty impediments along the way."

"We should prepare," David suggested. "We only made it out of our last encounter because Pan let us. We need a new plan."

"Agreed," Emma said. "It's time we stop playing his game and he starts playing ours."

"And if I disagree?" Regina asked.

"Go ahead, but I think you know our best chance is together."

"You better be right."

"Excellent show of patience, luv," Hook commented. "And that's what defeats a nasty little boy."

"I hope so," Emma answered as Hook took out a bottle of rum. "Is rum your solution to everything?"

"It certainly doesn't hurt." Hook took a drink. "Mmm. Hmm?" Hook gestured the rum to Emma and Nevaeh, the former of whom grabbed it and took a drink, then handed it to Nevaeh who also took a drink, then left to join her husband. "So just how did you and my dear sister unlock the map?"

"We did what Pan asked."

"And just who are you, Swan?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?" Emma replied slyly as she handed back the bottle.

"Perhaps I would."

Emma walked away.

---

Mr. Gold trekked through the Neverland jungle. He heard a twig snap behind him. Rustling could be heard. Mr. Gold continued walking warily. There was a clank in the distance. Mr. Gold looked to the sky and the doll dropped from it and landed in front of him. He picked it up drops it again and burned it with fire he conjured. He continued further and again it dropped in front of him. He decided to keep it and tucked it under his jacket.

---

Further away Emma and Nevaeh picked some berries.

"Don't eat the blue ones," Pan said. "Congratulations. You did it... orphans. You don't mind if I call you lost girls, do you?"

"Call us what you like," Emma retorted. "It won't stop me or her from finding Henry and Grace."

Pan chuckled. "Oh, I'm counting on that. There's a reason I tested you."

"Really?"

"You haven't forgiven your parents for abandoning you. She hasn't forgiven her father for leaving. Don't deny it. You haven't. That's good. Really good. 'Cause when you find Henry and Grace, you'll both understand them."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Nevaeh asked.

"They haven't forgiven you either. By the time you get to them, they'll never want to leave this island."

"We'll see," Emma and Nevaeh retorted as they picked up their berries and began to walk away.

"And as for you, Emma... when we're finished, you won't just feel like an orphan. You'll be one. Just like your friend."

---

David and Jefferson found a secluded place in the jungle and checked the damage the arrows caused. They had been affected by the dream shade and they exchanged a look as they grew deathly worried.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.8K 274 16
**Season 4 AU of Once Upon A Time *Marian never returned *Robin didn't leave *Regina never drank the anti fertility potion The Snow Queen was defeat...
96.7K 601 24
{ storybrooke } In which Winter accidentally stumbles upon Storybrooke, a town with strange citizens. Be warned: * This book contains plotlines from...
7.1K 196 42
Emmett and Emma had always just had each other. And then a boy knocks on their apartment door. Their world changes for the better, and in more ways...
34.4K 619 46
Hi my name is Claire. I have lived in this town in Maine for as long as I can remember but, recently everyone seems to think I'm crazy. They think th...