Letters and Love

By thequietwriter

Elizabeth Garrison has never had an interest in the newspaper advertisements of men seeking a bride. But life... More

Chapter One: Elizabeth
Chapter Two: Noah
Chapter Three: Elizabeth
Chapter Four: Noah
Chapter Five: Elizabeth
Chapter Six: Noah
Chapter Seven: Elizabeth
Chapter Eight: Noah
Chapter Nine: Elizabeth
Chapter Ten: Noah
Chapter Eleven: Elizabeth
Chapter Twelve: Noah
Chapter Thirteen: Elizabeth
Chapter Fifteen: Elizabeth
Chapter Sixteen: Noah
Chapter Seventeen: Elizabeth
Chapter Eighteen: Noah
Chapter Nineteen: Elizabeth
Chapter Twenty: Noah
Chapter Twenty-One: Elizabeth
Chapter Twenty-Two: Noah
Chapter Twenty-Three: Elizabeth
Chapter Twenty-Four: Noah
Chapter Twenty-Five: Elizabeth
Chapter Twenty-Six: Noah
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Elizabeth
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Noah
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Elizabeth
Chapter Thirty: Noah

Chapter Fourteen: Noah

1.4K 141 42
By thequietwriter

The Harpers were a force to be reckoned with, and I was no longer surprised that they had proved their claim without any help. They stayed at my place for two days after the barn fire, with their sons taking turns returning to their own land. When I tried to protest, they told me this is just what good neighbors do and they would expect me to do the same thing.

Grateful for the help, though unsure what they could do, I gave up my bed for them. I bunked down in the kitchen with the sons.

Mr. Harper rode out with me to scour the land for my herd. He was interested in learning my reasoning behind the expansion and thought it a better plan than to take on sheep, like others in the territory. With his help, we found all but ten of my cattle.

I told myself that I should be grateful it wasn't worse, but I couldn't deny being disappointed. The loss was not going to be easy to recover from, since it left very little room for any other cattle to not survive the winter.

With my neighbors' help, I branded the cattle. It was hard, smelly work and it took some time to get the hang of it. Earnest, of all people, had some experience in the task and came to help supervise.

The corral was inspected and deemed sufficient for containing the herd. The Harper boys, on top of checking on their own animals, took on the task of knocking down the charred remains of the barn. They cleaned out the spot and then began bringing logs to the spot.

Some of the logs were ones they cut down themselves, but they also included lumber. I could only assume it was lumber they had leftover from their own projects. Either way, it was hard work, and they went about it without complaint.

While we were busy with the cattle, Mrs. Harper made herself at home in my kitchen to keep us fed. But cooking was not all she did. She gave the place a thorough cleaning and hung curtains over the windows.

When I protested that this wasn't necessary, she waved off my complaints. "Your young lady shouldn't be met with a mess when she arrives," she told me firmly. "A clean house is the least we can give her. It will be difficult enough for her to adjust to life here without being expected to deep clean the moment she arrives."

"It isn't a mess!" I protested. True, when I'd first built the house, I'd focused mainly on keeping dishes washed. I soon learned that muddy floors were an annoyance and were not something to be ignored. I'd made myself prioritize the interior of my home once a week. "I clean!"

"I'm sure you do," Mrs. Harper said with a smile. She patted my arm. "Now let me do it properly."

In the end, I let her have her way. I wans't about to be ungrateful to someone who had gone out of her way to help. And if Elizabeth didn't come, at least my house would be the cleanest it had ever been.

When Earnest came to help with the branding, he brought me letters from my sister, but none from Elizabeth. Would she write again? Should I write to her or wait to hear from her?

While I had guests in my house, I couldn't bring myself to start any letter. Through the day, I'd find myself thinking, "I should remember to tell Elizabeth about this."

The Harpers' returned to their house, but their help hadn't finished yet. About mid morning each day, over the next week, the Harper men returned to help me build something resembling a barn. It wasn't going to win any beauty competitions, but it was better than nothing. It would keep my horses out of the wind, rain, and snow come winter and that was all I could ask for.

No other neighbors came to help or to ask what happened, though Earnest had told Mr. Collins about what had happened. That disappointed me more than I expected, though I knew it shouldn't have. The town thought I was a veritable villain. Why would they want to help someone they didn't like?

No doubt they were hoping I would give up the land and leave.

Earnest did, however, bring Mrs. Royal's well wishes and a pie, and also the news that Michael Rollins was going to be in town on Sunday.

Though I invited them, the Harpers' declined to join me on Sunday. They had never attended a Sunday sermon, and I wasn't sure why. Their faith was their concern, however, and I didn't want to be rude in questioning them about it.

Unlike last time, I strode to the saloon with more confidence than I'd felt in several months. There were still glares that came my way when I entered, but for the most part, I was ignored. I counted that as somewhat of an improvement.

It was a surprise to see the Burns' there. Given that they hadn't attended last time, I hadn't expected to see them this time. However, they were seated at the front of the saloon. Mr. and Mrs. Burns glared at me and then begin whispering together. Their oldest daughter, on the other hand, looked miserable from where she sat between her parents.

Was now the time to approach them? I began to walk towards the front of the saloon. What was the worst that could happen in front of so many witnesses?

"Noah!" Collins exclaimed, stepping in front of me. "This is a surprise."

"Why are you surprised?" I asked, confused by his words. "I do my best to be here every time the reverend comes through. It is a fine day out, so there was no ill weather to keep me away."

"Well, yes, that's true," he said, glancing over his shoulder. "But that's not what I mean. Earnest told us about what happened. A terrible accident. Enough to ruin someone. We just thought you might have something else to worry about."

"Earnest said it was an accident?" I couldn't believe that my honest friend would lie like that. I glanced over my shoulder, trying to find him in the room. Surely, he would be able to explain this misunderstanding.

Collins shifted from foot to foot, catching my attention. "Well, no, he didn't," he admitted, his tone uneasy. "But no one has seen a vagrant in the area. So the only answer is that it was an accident. After a hard day's work, you forget the lantern, and an animal tipped it over. It could happen to anyone."

"I'm sure it could, if I'd had a lantern that night. But it was safely in the house," I responded, struggling to remain reasonable. I'd checked, just to be certain I remembered correctly. Both of my lanterns had been sitting next to the door, ready for use, and not in the barn.

The storekeeper looked more and more flustered. "Oh, well. That does make a difference, doesn't it? Unexplainable accidents are worse—"

"I'm sorry you misunderstood Earnest, but it wasn't an accident," I interrupted. "Someone deliberately set my barn on fire."

Now Collins looked alarmed. "Oh, you can't mean that! Who would do something like that? No one has come through lately and I know no one in town would do this. We have no boys with a penchant for mischief, so I can't imagine it was deliberate."

Why was he so adamant that it was an accident? Had he already spread the story and didn't like being wrong? "I know one person who came through recently." I settled myself into a chair since it didn't seem likely I would make it to the Burns'. I wasn't lurking in the back of the room like I had something to hide.

"Now, Noah, you can't just throw accusations around like that. Someone might think you're serious and that would cause trouble."

"I haven't accused anyone, Collins." Yet. I had my suspicions, but I was keeping them to myself until I could prove them. "I'm just here to enjoy the sermon after a long week of hard work."

He looked over his shoulder again. Why did he keep doing that? Who was he looking at? The Burns? His wife? "Of course, of course. It's just everyone is wondering what you're going to do. A barn is an important thing to lose. At least, that's what they've told me."

"That's right thoughtful of everyone to send you over so that I am not overwhelmed by their concern." Sarcasm was not appropriate on Sunday, I knew, especially when it could be interpreted as me being mean spirited. But I was beyond annoyed. "As to what I am going to do...well, I'll just keep doing what I've been doing since I came west: surviving. The unexpected happens, and all a person can do is adapt."

Wait. He'd said he was surprised to see me. Did he think I was going to leave the territory because of what had happened?

"You lost your herd, your savings," Collins said stubbornly. "How are you going to recover from that?"

Odd. How did he know about the cattle? There were only a few people who knew about my herd and even fewer knew it had taken most of my savings to buy the animals. Was it a guess? Or was there something more?

"Well, those things would be difficult to recover from, if it had happened," I said, nodding my head. "You'll be glad to know that things are not so dire as that. Most of the herd was found. I already have a barn. I shouldn't have any trouble getting through the winter."

Was it a slight exaggeration? Yes, but it was mostly true. If I was frugal and the weather stayed well, I didn't see any reason I wouldn't be able to make things work. It wouldn't be easy, but it also wouldn't be impossible.

Collins stared at me in shock. "It could have been so much worse," I added. "I am thankful it was not, and that I've had the help of friends to recover."

"Friends?" he repeated, his expression becoming confused. "Who—?"

"You can tell anyone who asks that I am doing just fine," I interrupted. Would anyone who helped me get caught in the crossfire of whatever vendetta the Burns' had with me? "The barn was a loss, but as I said it has been replaced. I will be back on my feet in no time."

Collins' face flushed. "Good, good." He cleared his throat. "Well, that's good then."

He didn't sound particularly pleased by the information. So much for him being on my side. "Have any letters come for me lately?" I asked.

"Well—"

"Noah, good to see you," Michael Rollen said as he walked up. "What's this I hear about you packing up and heading back East?"

Packing up? Is that what Collins had been trying to hint at? "Now where would have heard a crazy story like that?" I asked, holding my hand out. "If you don't have other plans, how does lunch at Mrs. Royal's cafe sound and I can tell you what happened. It is... quite the tale."

"With you, I'm sure it is." Rollens turned to the storekeeper. "I'm sure you're as relieved as I am that the rumor was false. Where would we be if we believed every wild tale that popped up, am I right?"

Mumbling something unintelligible, Collins hurried to join his family. "Did I interrupt something? Rollen asked, his tone puzzled.

"No." This was neither the time or the place to explain.

Looking unconvinced, Rollen nevertheless went to begin the service. My gaze was caught by the Burns' family again. Jake Burns was glaring at me. I stared back, refusing to cower or back down. I had done nothing to him, but he...well, he had done quite a bit to me.

After a few seconds, he flinched and looked away.

Point to me. Finally.

~*~

The sermon was one on forgiveness. I rather suspected my friend had chosen it for a reason, but I doubted he would get the reaction he was expecting. Given everything that had happened, I wasn't ready to forgive the Burns for the damage they had inflicted, and I suspected they would not forgive me for their imagined offense.

Once the morning was over, I stepped outside to wait for my friend. From my place by the door, I had a good view of the street. Most of the people who passed simply ignored me, but a few men made a point of ramming their shoulders against me.

Clearly, I was still unpopular in town.

"How dare you?" Mrs. Burns' voice rang out.

Holding back a sigh, I turned to face her. SHe was strifing towards me, eyes blazing. "Good day, Mrs. Burns," I responded, nodding at her, "Did you enjoy the sermon this morning?"

"What are you doing here?" she dmeanded. "Can't you tell you're not wanted? Your kind isn't welcome!"

She was drawing the attention of everyone within earshot. "I'm sorry you think so." Part of me wanted to point out that sinners were supposed to be welcome, but the Bible was not to be used as a weapon. "You do not have to speak to me if I am so offensive to you. I will understand."

Her face flushed bright red. "Any decent person would be offended by you! Go away!"

"Ma'am, you may be able to order me off your land, but you do not control the entire town." She was still being unreasonable. There was no point in engaging any more with her. "I hope you have a good afternoon."

I shifted my gaze away from her. In doing so, I caught sight of a person by the Collins' store. Before I could focus, whoever it was vanished from sight.

"Come along, Mrs. Burns," another lady said. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw an older woman coming up to Mrs. Burns. "Let's have a word with the reverend."

"I hope all your cattle died in the wilderness," Mrs. Burns spat before she allowed herself to be led away.

Somehow I doubted that the news of my cattle had spread enough that was how she had heard about it. Though I had kept my little herd not quite a secret, I hadn't been bragging through the territory about it either. The only question was if her brother-in-law had told them or if they'd found out some other way.

"I don't know about you, Norah, but I'm starving," Rollens said, stepping up beside me. "And I want to hear just what new mess you've found yourself in this time. I also assume there has been no reconciliation with the Burns?"

"Well, Mrs. Burns threatened to shoot me, so I have been trying to avoid them as much as possible." Which, now that I thought about it, might be playing into whatever scheme they were playing at. It made me look like the guilty party, but I wasn't sure what else I could do.

"You're not serious," Rollen said, his eyes widening with horror. "Mrs. Burns wanted to shoot you?"

"I wish I was making this up," I told him. Because if I was making it up, it would be a joke. A poor, malicious joke, but nothing to take seriously. "I have nothing to gain from inventing a story like this."

"Revenge for the story they told first."

That...was something I hadn't considered. "Well, I'm not. I have more important things to think about than making up stories about someone else."

My friend held his hands up. "I know you wouldn't stoop to their level. I'm just saying what someone else might think of the matter."

Would everything I said or did from now on be held up to scrutiny and criticism?

"But let's not talk about the Burns right now," Rollen said. "I hear you've had some misfortune?"

As we walked to the cafe, I explained about the fire. "It was a blow," I said, holding the door open for him to go in first. "But it is not as bad as has been spread. It seems everyone in this town is eager to believe the worst."

"Noah, that is very cynical," Rollen wanted. He didn't seem to notice the glares coming from the bachelors in the room. "How would they know the difference? You said this is the first time you have been in town since it happened."

Sighing, I dropped into a chair. Why was everything turned around to be my fault? "I know. I don't know where I would be without the Harpers."

"That Harpers? I see."

His tone rubbed me the wrong way. "Yes, the Harpers," I said as Mrs. Royal brought us cups of coffee. "Afternoon, Mrs. Royal. Thank you for the pie you sent. How are you and the children?"

"Well enough. I'm glad to see you are no worse for wear," she said with a smile. "A pie doesn't mean much in the long run, but it is the only thing I could think to do. How does fried chicken and mashed potatoes sound?"

We both agreed it sounded just right. Once she hurried off, I returned to the subject. "Do you have something against the Harpers?"

"No. I just can't seem to get them to come to town on Sundays when I am here. I've asked more times than I can count." My friend shook his head. "They seem to think they don't need my spiritual help because my faith differs from theirs."

His response confused me. What did that have to do with anything? "Isn't that their right? The States are made up of all kinds of faiths. Catholic. Protestant. Quaker. That's just how it is. In any event, I think they are doing well enough without any help. At least, they've shown more Christian qualities than most in this town."

A flush spread across my friend's face. "Well, I suppose... But Isn't some spiritual guidance better than none?" he argued. "It all comes from the good book, anyway."

Shaking my head, I picked up my cup of coffee. "If someone doesn't want to listen, you can't make them," I told him. "I know that all too well with what's been going on lately. No one wants to hear my suspicions, so they just don't listen."

"Would you be defending them if they hadn't done you a good turn?"

Did he really think I would be that petty? "I would defend them for being good neighbors. I've been on the wrong side of people judging me for where I am from and what they assume I believe. It would be wrong of me to judge the Harpers for their beliefs when they haven't done anything wrong."

Rollins shook his head. "I don't trust anyone who sets themselves apart from their community."

"They are good neighbors," I said firmly. "You're entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to mine. We're just going to disagree on this. What's the news from the south? Or did you come from the northern territory?"

For a moment, I was afraid my friend would argue his point. Why was it so hard for him to accept that people had different points of views? Thankfully, he accepted the change of subject and told me about the last town he'd been in.

~*~

Dear Elizabeth,

First, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Nothing I can say will ease your pain, but know that I am thinking of you always. I hope your siblings are able to comfort you during this time.

I was relieved to get your letter. I'd begun to think I'd ruined everything by being an idiot. I can't find the words to tell you how grateful I am that you are understanding. You're right. Some conversations must be had in person.

I think I would like your friend. She seems like a reasonable person, and there don't seem to be many people with common sense in the world anymore.

I have included some of my savings. It should be enough for you to come West and to leave if you decide I am not worth your time. Please come when you are ready...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 69.9K 32
A blacksmith's apprentice who would be a knight. The heir to the throne, at death's door. One woman who would save them both, if she could... Charlot...
247K 16K 142
The Divine woman Draupadi was born as the eternal consort of Panadavas. But we always fail to treasure things which we get easily. Same happened with...
894K 42K 101
When a Young Adult has to suddenly move across the country with his dad he ends up in the town of Beach City. Will his life be a mundane existence or...
He's my Fairytale By N.A.M.F.

Historical Fiction

213K 10.9K 80
Do you believe in fairytale?Do you also want to have a happy ending with the one you love? Every fairytale story consist a main character, male lead...