Delta [Epsilon #2]

By JMiaDavies

[BOOK #2 OF THE AWARD-WINNING EPSILON SERIES!] ❝I hate him. He's crude. Arrogant. Vile. I hate him so much th... More

Foreword (READ PLS!)
PREQUEL
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six [NEW CHAPTER]
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight [18+]
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty [18+]
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Epilogue
Epsilon Book #3 -- Release Info

Chapter Thirty-Two

999 62 25
By JMiaDavies

I blinked at him. Once. Twice. I turned to Azure and Luc to see if I'd heard him right, and their white faces told me I had. I faced the Delta again. "What?"

The Delta shrugged, leaning casually against a tree. "If you think you are powerful enough to take on Azriel, then you need to beat me first. Otherwise, I am not letting you past." 

I curled my hands into fists. "For god's sake, I do not have time for these stupid games!" I beckoned Luc and Azure forward, and with unsure feet, they followed. However, before we could make it more than five steps, the Delta was towering over me, his eyes were burning. 

"Do not take me for a fool, Epsilon. I am not letting you into that damn territory so long as I can help it. I will not have you surrendering to Azriel so we have more Upsilons to deal with."

I snarled at him. "What the hell is it you want from me, Delta? Why are you always in my way?"

"I'm trying to stop you from getting yourself killed, or dooming the rest of the territory," he snarled back. He narrowed his eyes. "You're weak, and I'm not saying that to put you down. You're just too weak for him yet. You have no idea what you're up against."

I stepped up to him. "I am not weak." I ripped the silver necklace from the neck, the thin chain snapping in two. I threw it on the ground, holding his stare. "And if you do not get out of my way in one second, I swear I will fucking obliterate you to Mars." 

The Delta's eyes narrowed. "I'd like to see you try."

"Fine," I spat, staggering back and withdrawing my hand. I willed that rage in my core towards my right arm, setting it aflame. Azure and Luc jumped back in my peripheral. "I'm not holding back. I'll kill you if I have to."

The Delta smirked, withdrawing his own hand. I tried not to focus on the electricity that lashed across his skin, or the metallic stench of ozone in the air. "Again, I'd like to see you try."

"Azure, Luc, get back," I breathed, barely able to keep my voice even with the magic raging through my body. I prayed they'd listened when I stepped towards the Delta, the smalls space between us feeling like lightyears away. The forest around us seemed to still, waiting with bated breath as we stared at each other for what felt like an eternity; the final moments before we both took the plunge and took everything along with it. 

He made the first move. In a motion so fast my eyes barely tracked it, he lunged forward, crossing the distance with impossible speed. A deafening crack sounded as I brought up my arm just in time to block his assault. I grit my teeth against the electricity biting against my skin, and through my flame I saw him wince. I willed my fire to become bigger, brighter, and with a hiss he pulled back. 

I glared at him through the flames, and he glared right back. He wasn't trying. He wasn't even using a fraction of his power, because he thought he could win without it. Because he thought I wasn't worth his full strength. 

I brought out my second arm and set it aflame, the heat fuelling the deep rage inside my heart. I would force him to his full strength, and I would win. I would drive him into the damn ground for everything he's done to me, for ever bitter word he's said. I would make him regret coming out here tonight. I'd make him regret trying to stop me.

Because I am Kyra Aetos, and I cannot be stopped. I will only burn.

If the Delta read the conclusion in my eyes, he didn't let on. Instead, he charged for me again. A bright white light formed at his palm, and within moments, a streak of lightning was heading my way. I didn't move. I didn't so much as flinch as it struck my chest, making my heart stutter. I watched his eyes widen with shock. 

I had to stop myself from smirking. He thought that would be enough to stop me?

My feet slammed the earth as I raced for him. He looked slightly dumbstruck as I raised my arms and willed the magic in my palms. Fire flared in my vision, a maelstrom of flame that seemed to only build. Then, I pushed it away, and the ball of flame shot from my palms and speared across the clearing, straight for him. He didn't move in time. The flame clipped his shoulder before hurtling behind him, slamming into a tree with a sickening hiss. The bark crackled and hissed, a black hole singeing where he'd stood just moments before. He stared at me, clutching his singeing shoulder, white with both fury and shock. 

"Weren't expecting that, were you?" I sneered. When he didn't answer, I pouted. "What, not going to run that big mouth of yours? Well, I don't suppose you expected Azriel's whore to best you, did you?"

His eyes widened for the briefest of moments before the air around us crackled with electricity, as it seemed to pulsate in the forest around us. Streaks of white electricity snaked over his frame, his body shaking as though he were barely able to contain it. His eyes did not deviate from mine, and within second, he was in front of me. 

I caught his strike, but not quick enough to prevent the electricity from biting my shoulder. I bit back my cry and willed my flames to the surface, not caring that my clothes were beginning to burn. My knuckles smacked into his jaw, and his fist jabbed into my side. I staggered back as the electricity lashed through me, my eyes stinging. I recovered quickly, and before he could pin me to the ground, I was sprinting for the other end of the clearing. There, I will the fire into my palm, where I shot a stream of fire in his direction. He grunted as the flames bit his left arm, but that didn't stop him from launching a bolt in my direction. I cried out as the bolt slammed into my face, making me stagger back into the tree. When I opened my eyes, the Delta was in front of me, and I was only just able to drop down and avoid his charged punch. 

Before I could stand, however, the Delta shot me with another bolt. My body seized, and that split second of discordance was all it took for him to pin me down. I threw out my arms to grapple him, but his strength was massive. His electricity stung my palms, and even when I willed my skin to become red-hot, but the most he did was wince. I watched in horror as his palm began to glow with crackling white. 

I shut my eyes and swallowed. I thought I was done for until something fleeting came into my mind. It was stupid. It was reckless. But it may work. 

Opening my eyes, I called forth my Lunar Magic. I could feel it fighting with the Emotional Magic, like two lions in a ring. But then I willed the Lunar Magic to become something else, to differentiate into my special ability. My heart raced as the shock of the amplification ran through me, and my Emotional Magic surged in response. My eyes snapped open as my entire body exploded in flames, my whole vision becoming a myriad of golds and reds. The Delta jumped off me in an instant, and I stood after him, only able to make out the distinct glint of his eyes through my raging vision. 

But I couldn't remain human. Within moments, my bones were shifting, dislocating and relocating as I was forced to all fours. The fire flared, as though thriving off my wolf form. A high-pitch screech escaped my throat as my entire frame burned, hot and violent like the rage within me. My eyes whirred to him, his face unreadable as I burned in the dark. I charged for him without hesitation, my flames staggered and chaotic as I willed them towards my target. Of course, that was always the difference between the human and wolf form -- as a wolf, the magic is stronger, but not precisely controlled. But that didn't matter. All it took was for one of my flames to hit him and he was sent backwards, clothes singeing. A yell escaped him. 

I watched as his eyes turned slightly wild. So fast it looked painful, his frame bent and contorted into that of a large, white-furred beast, eyes burning with fury. Electricity lashed about his frame. Within moments, we were locked in gritty combat, jaws snapping and claws slashing for flesh to catch on. My flame burnt his fur, and every beat of electricity had my muscles spasming with shock, but I held fast. We bit and slashed and snarled, hot blood running down my body as it did his. I knew I'd hit home when my white-hot teeth sunk into a spot under his ruff, his whimper of pain quiet in our little world of chaos.

He thrashed, trying to loosen my bite, but I held fast. Our eyes locked for the briefest of moments before something hard and fast shocked me, and my teeth sang. I staggered back, coppery metallic hot on my tongue, the blood wet on his crimson ruff. He must have felt my victory, for his eyes seemed to go wild with anger. Something in my body went cold as the air began to vibrate, and he stood there, staring at me with those glowing eyes. 

I braced myself. This was it. This was his full power. 

His maw hung slightly agape. I lunged for him. I fought against the pain and shock as I made contact with him, trying to sink my white-hot claws and canines into his flesh. He thrashed and growled, but he didn't attack. In fact, he seemed barely able to move at all. What was going on?

A quiet, high-pitched shriek rang in my ears, and when I looked up towards his gaping maw, I froze. A bright, blinding light was building at the back of his throat, and every bit of electricity in the air seemed to be vacuuming towards it. A deadly melody: it's quiet shriek had every animal instinct in me begging to run, to leave.

But I couldn't. I stood, frozen, as those bright, violent eyes held mine. It was then that I realized it; I wasn't strong enough. Despite the marks I'd made and the strikes that had landed true, one fact was clear: I was not strong enough for the Delta. 

Iciness ran through my veins and guttered my flame, leaving me chilled and vulnerable. Smoke furled off my fur as I stared into those eyes, at the building light in his throat. Its high-pitched screech was awful, making me sick with a type of fear I'd never felt before -- the fear of death. It was then that I realized just how vulnerable I was, how exposed. Without my magic to protect me, whatever attack he would launch now could kill me. 

It seemed he realized it, too, for every bit of fury in his eyes died, replaced instead with white horror. I collapsed to my side, fear clawing at my throat as that white light continued to build exponentially, consuming my vision. The Delta didn't move. He began thrashing against his own power, as though to stop himself, and I closed my eyes as I awaited the worst to greet me. 

A deafening crack. A blinding white light. I opened my eyes, certain this was the end. 

It wasn't. The deadly bundle of electricity wasn't heading for me. The Delta had turned his head away at the last moment. I watched in slow-motion as the bold headed straight for a blonde-haired girl, her green eyes wide with fear. 

I barely made to stand. No!

Too late. A sickening crash sounded as the lightning clipped Raina's side. For a moment, her body simply seized, her eyes wide with shock. Then, she fell forward, hitting the ground with a sickening thud.

"Raina!" I screamed, taking off running. I hadn't even realized I'd reverted to human form until my black cloak stuck against my sweat-licked skin, and I came crashing down beside her. I stared at her white face. Her lips looked blue.

Azure came crashing down beside me, sobbing. "What happened? What happened!" She screamed.

I looked to the Delta to find him in human form as well, staring at me with a white face. His eyes looked struck with both horror and guilt, the latter seeming to overpower him as he looked towards my injured friend. 

Quickly, I put my ear to her chest, and what I heard made my heart sink. Silence. Complete, utter silence, and not one beat of a heart.

"Her heart's stopped!" I cried, the panic taking over my mind and freezing my blood. I stared at her ashen face. I bit back a sob of panic. Nonononon.

I was frozen; completely, utterly frozen. I may have never been able to move again, if it weren't for Azure's hysterical voice next to me. "Kyra!" she begged. I jolted at the anguish in her voice, at the begging of me to do something, anything, as time slipped by.

Within a few minutes, she'd be dead for sure; gone. Gone. Nononono--

Think, damn it!

But my mind was blank. Time seemed both too fast and too slow as Azure sobbed next to me, as I remained suspended in my world of terror and helplessness.

Think. Think!

Then it came to me. With shaking hands, I placed them over the centre of her chest and pressed down. Again. And again. I did it several times and stopped only when I put my lips to her, forcing air into her tired lungs. 

"What are you doing?" Azure cried. 

"CPR," I gasped, returning to the chest compressions. My arms felt weak and tired, but I had to do this. "It's how we keep the dead alive. It's our only shot at restarting her heart."

I could feel Azure's dumbfounded stare, and it occurred to me that maybe this wasn't common knowledge in the werewolf world. For once in my damn life, I was glad to have been born a human. I continued to push my palms down. Her skin bruised. Her ribs cracked. I didn't care. I had to keep her heart moving. I had to wait for the miracle moment where it would restart. 

But it wasn't restarting. It wasn't beating. I kept on for minutes, but nothing changed. My efforts weren't going to be enough. Gasping, I looked around, and when my eyes found the Delta, it came to me. He seemed to snap out of his horrified state as I charged towards him, grabbing his wrist hard enough to leave a bruise. 

"What--"

"Do as I say!" I commanded, yanking him forward. He didn't protest as he staggered after me, eyes locked on Raina. His skin felt clammy under my touch. His entire frame seemed to be shaking, too. Maybe he was feeling the fading effects of the adrenalin. 

As I dragged him over to Raina's cooling body, I forced him down and placed his hand on her chest. 

"Shock her."

He gaped at me, and his trembling became more violent. "What?"

"Shock her!" I screamed. "Do it!"

The Delta looked skyward as though sending up a silent prayer as white light formed at his palm, Raina's form seizing as he shocked her. I quickly placed my hand to her pulse, ignoring the sting of electricity palpated her skin. My heart jumped as I felt the flutter of a pulse before it went quiet again.

"Again!" I commanded, and the Delta did as told. This time, Raina's pulse was stronger, as though she were fighting to come back. As though her body knew she couldn't die yet. 

"Again!"

The Delta closed his eyes and administered one final shock, and after the deafening crack, the entire forest went silent. Slowly, I placed an ear to Raina's chest. A sob escaped me. Her heartbeat was fragile. Fragile, but alive. Alive. I shoved the Delta aside and cupped Raina's face, watching as her eyes fluttered open. Her pupils dilated and constricted erratically, drool spilling from her lips as sounds of pain and confusion escaped her lips. 

"Raina!" Azure sobbed, pushing me out the way to cradle her friend. Raina's green eyes fell on her, and a strange clarity washed over her face. Suddenly she seemed wide awake, and her eyes glinted with this strange rapture. 

I fell back sobbing with relief, but all those feelings turned cold as I hit a wall of warmth. I looked up to see the Delta's still-white face hovering over mine, and I jerked upright. 

"You," I snarled, and he stood as well, stumbling back. For once, he looked afraid. Afraid of me. He opened and closed his mouth a few times, as though wanting to say words his tongue couldn't form. Any potential words he may have said died the moment I connected my fist with his jaw. Hard. He staggered back, cradling his face in shock.

"You are an ass!" I yelled, ignoring the sting of my knuckles. "What the hell were you thinking, pulling a stunt like that?"

For once, the Delta was at loss for words. He just stayed still as a statue, his eyes wide and face pale as though he might be sick. 

I shoved him, and he stumbled back again. It was strange. I'd always dreamt of the moment for when I would have complete power over the Delta, but it didn't feel satisfying like I thought it would. I felt wounded. Betrayed. I was exhausted from fighting and bringing my friend back from a stopped heart. 

I began to cry. "What the hell were you thinking? You almost killed her! You could have killed me. Your stupid little stunt almost cost us our lives!"

He looked horrified by my words, and his fingers began to tremble. His eyes filled with what I could only describe as regret. I didn't care, though. I was too furious to care. I sucked in uneven breaths, trying to align my thoughts. I couldn't. Every word in my head was angry or turbulent, and I wanted to rain hell on him. 

I reared on him. "Get the hell out of my life, and never come near me again! Forget the training. Forget the fucking bullshit. We're done. We're fucking done!"

That seemed to be enough to shock him from his stupor. "But--"

"No! I don't care!" I couldn't breathe. Every breath was jagged and swallow. I couldn't even see through my blurred vision. "You ruin everything, Delta. You've ruined my life enough already, and you almost ruined another one tonight!"

Pain flashed through his gaze, and part of me froze as he reached for my arm. "Kyra--"

"No!" I slapped him away. Through teary eyes, I glared at him. "You can't do anything right. You ruin every good thing in your life. You ruin everything." I pointed to the forest behind him. "Get out!"

I stared at him, expecting it would be enough, but he remained still. His mouth was pulled into a wince, and his eyes looked to be in more pain than I'd ever seen. Still, he didn't move. 

So, I did the only thing I could do. I opened up that bond and allowed all that rage, hatred, and resentment to rush at him. His eyes widened as all my emotions hit him at full force. He stared at me as though I'd slapped him, as though our fight before meant nothing compared to this. I didn't care. I just stared back, cold and unfeeling. 

I continued to push that hatred down the bond until he finally turned and ambled away. I watched until his figure disappeared in the undergrowth, until there was no trace of him, as though he'd never even existed.

I tossed a glance back towards Raina, relieved to find her eyes glued to Azure's as she cradled her in her arms. Luc crouched nearby, his eyes on mine, mouth set into a grim line. I tuned him out and walked towards Raina. 

I always thought hurting the Delta would make me feel good, would satisfy that burning rage in me. Maybe I'd even hurt him like he'd hurt me, or at least to some degree. But it didn't feel good. It didn't even feel the littlest bit triumphant like I thought I would. Instead, I just felt numb.

I felt dead.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.2K 996 50
Spin-off to 'HIS LUNA'. Can be read as a stand-alone book. COMPLETED * Cyra Bree King is the Alpha of the Pack Full Moon; the descendant of one of...
124K 1.8K 9
I felt the bed dip as he sat down on the other side but I focused solely on my task until I was done. "This is a pillow barrier. Meaning, you don't b...
76.6K 2.6K 51
"I'll ruin you till there's nothing left to give." Every member of the lupine Realm lost his sanity after few centuries of living without a mate. Kin...
234 15 20
Well then... Skyelar I'm not the one who dreams about meeting their mate. Or living in a pack, dutifully filling out their pack rank. As soon as I fi...