Heartbeat

By Akashi_Reiji

Soulmate AU where you can faintly feel the fluttering heartbeat of your soulmate when they are one kilometer... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2

Chapter 3

303 17 13
By Akashi_Reiji

Morning came in Shinsekai city. A Saturday morning with a blue sky with specks of clouds decorating above.

6:29 and Sabo's already awake while preparing breakfast for him and Luffy.

He was making Chicken Donburi while wearing an apron. Sabo already cut the ingredients for the dish, so he's already added the chicken broth, followed by mirin, shoyu, water, and sugar and boiled it on a medium high heat.

The aroma of the spices was all over the place, waking Luffy who just came out of his room while sniffing the air.

Sabo heard the door open and click close after. He looked at the direction of the noise and saw Luffy sniffing the air. Must've love the smell of chicken.

Knowing it was his own little brother's habits, the blonde let out a small chuckle before looking back at the pan, still sautéing the ingredients for six more minutes before he added the mushrooms and carrots.

It was a bit of a happy day for the two brothers since Ace woke up already.

They need to meet up with Law for today at 9:30 in the morning. Sabo already sent an appointment with the doctor to talk about Ace's endotracheal tube and when it would be removed. Not to mention the physiotherapy and his complete rest for how many days would still be discussed among them.

He would also want to talk to the doctor personally, too.

Marco's at work today so he can't go. He'd still be updated about Ace though, courtesy of Sabo and Luffy.

Sabo would less likely show up during the removal of Ace's endotracheal tube. He has a job outside of Shinsekai City again and had to comply because of the client.

He heard a chair being pulled and a slight thud from the table, indicating that Luffy's already settled in his seat.

Sabo, then, added the sliced chicken on the skillet along with the shiitake mushrooms, and round onion slices and put a lid on it after, letting it simmer for a few minutes.

The blonde looked at the sleepy luffy and put the wooden ladle on top of the lid. "Luffy, this is gonna take a while." He informed. "Why don't you take a shower first? Maybe after you're done, the food would be ready."

Luffy grumbled for a bit and rubbed his eyes. "M'kay." He responded, standing up and going to the direction of his room where his towel was and went to the bathroom after getting the desired object.

Sabo sighed and looked back at the boiling broth on a covered skillet pan. "I think I should demote myself from the BRLF." He muttered to himself. "I travel a lot because of this job position."

---Scene---

Law's morning was the usual.

Get up, take a shower, eat breakfast, feed his cat, check his schedule, get changed into his work clothes, and go to work with his car.

Dr. Hiriluk is still on his break on his hometown at Drum City, the city far towards the North that it practically winter season every day. So he was in charge of the young Gol, as what the older doctor requested.

"Take care of my patients for me, Law!"

He could still feel the hard pats on his back from a week ago when the doctor came to the hospital for the last time this month of May.

Law was a cardiac surgeon, for fuck's sake! He's a busy man! Barely have enough time to sleep, considering his dark circles under his eyes and the constant tired scowl on his face.

He sighed, leaning back on his swivel chair in his office as he took another sip of his cup of Americano, pausing his paperwork for a while.

But there's good in every misfortune. He met his soulmate under those circumstances so that's a plus.

He, then, sat up again and looked at the calendar planner and the clock that's hanging on his wall.

8:45 am. Still have time to finish the paperwork easy. It's just another inch tall, what could possibly be new there except for patients' profiles and papers that needs to be signed? Well, an unexpected letter with hearts on the side and ribbons.

Who the hell would put a personal letter on patients' charts and papers?

The guy who delivered it of course.

A letter from his cousin, Fai. It was a wedding invitation to her wedding with Sai, her soulmate, her long term boyfriend for three years, now a fiancé for a month, and a soon to be husband for a week later. The venue is at Dressrosa City at Balsa Avenue.

Great. An eight-hour plane ride to Dressrosa to attend a wedding.

His uncle and father won't have it, too, since he was also insistent on Law's visit for the past month when he just visited two months after and stayed for a week there.

This was a perfect excuse for Law to fly back to Dressrosa. To home. He wouldn't miss his cousin's wedding for the heck of it, too. He's sure it's her first and last wedding, considering how loyal Sai and Fai are to each other, not to mention soulmates.

He read a bit of the content before going back to his paperwork again. Just a few more, and he'll be ready for the appointment with Outlook Sabo (as he learned the name) and Monkey D. Luffy for Gol D. Ace's endotracheal removal and the recovery stages.

He'll meet his soulmate again, and he's a bit grateful for that. Well, expecting constant visits since his brother is now conscious at room 304. Be it the two blondes, Luffy, or other family members they might have.

---Scene---

"The endotracheal tube removal will be scheduled at May 24, Tuesday at exactly 1:00pm. That is three days from now." Law informed while looking at the pair of brothers sat on the chairs in his office, facing him. "He needs complete bed rest for two weeks after the extubation and another two for some of his injuries that hasn't recovered yet during his coma. No food should be fed in his mouth for that duration of two weeks, there's a possibility that he'll have difficulty in swallowing. You can give him fluids after four days but only fluids. He shouldn't talk, too. That'll damage his vocal cords more, but after 5-7 days of resting his vocal cords, then he can speak. Physiotherapy would be a week after his bed rest, supposedly, it'll be for two weeks. Does 2-3 hours sound good to you?" Well, seeing that Ace struggled a little when he was asked to close his hand to a fist and open it afterwards, Law suspected his patient needed the physiotherapy.

"That's fine with me, Doctor." Sabo replied almost immediately after he heard the appointed times to get Ace back on his feet. Then he looked at Luffy. "Luffy?"

"Yeah, sure." The younger male nodded, looking back and forth between Sabo and Law. "Anything to get Ace back on his feet."

"Alright, now that it's settled . . ." Law trailed off, now writing something on the index card he had on the table. "I'll send the bill before the day of the discharge. I'll call in a physiotherapist when the time comes. For now, let's hope for the patient's recovery."

Sabo stood up and bowed down to Law, startling the surgeon. "Thank you for treating my brother, Doctor." He said.

Law regained his composure, clearing his throat and looked at the blonde. "Please raise your head." He said. "It's a doctor's job to save a life. No need to thank me."

Sabo raised his head while having the most sincere smile he could muster. "But still, thank you." He said in a soft voice. Then, he turned to look at Luffy who looked up at him when Sabo turned around. "Could you leave us for a moment, Luffy?" He asked. "I need to talk to Dr. Trafalgar real quick."

For a moment there, Luffy could feel the nervousness of his soulmate's heartbeat, making him laugh internally, knowing it was because of Sabo.

The younger male just looked at Sabo for a bit and shot Law a reassuring gaze as he stood up. "Kay, but be quick." He said, looking back at Sabo. "Usopp said Zoro got admitted to the national kendo team so we're celebrating at old man Zeff's place."

"Yes, we'll be quick." Sabo shot him a smile as he watched his younger brother disappear from the door. "I'll be out in five minutes."

Law didn't look too well at the moment. He suspected that Luffy told his brother that he met his soulmate, judging from the blonde's all-knowing expression. He was sure Luffy felt the nervous heartbeat he had right now and suspecting that look on his face meant 'You'll be fine'.

Fuck no, he's sure he won't be.

"You know . . ." Sabo started, making Law all tensed up. "I'm really glad my little brother's soulmate isn't someone from prison or something." He sighed in relief, sitting back down on the chair Law provided for the two.

He kinda has a point. Your soulmate could be anyone in this world. Criminals are also humans, same as them. Law, too, was glad that his soulmate isn't anywhere near being one.

Sabo, then, did a small bow and raised his head after. "Please take care of my little brother when the time comes." He stated.

Law had a slightly noticeable dumbfounded expression on his face. The surgeon didn't really expect an accepting reaction from the blonde when he told Luffy to wait outside.

Law, then, took a deep breath to regain his composure. "I'll do my best." He breathed out and stood up, approaching Sabo with his hand stretched for a handshake. "I'm Trafalgar D. Water Law. Nice to formally meet you, Outlook Sabo."

Sabo looked surprise for a moment, but took Law's hand for a handshake nonetheless. "Likewise, Doctor." He replied. "I look forward in meeting you frequently.

They both broke off the handshake and Sabo made his way towards the door and went outside before closing it.

Law felt relieved. Never before did he feel this much nervous. He performed surgeries that needs total concentration and he's never felt nervous during those times. So why did a small heart to heart – if you can call it that – with his soulmate's brother made him a bit of a wreck? Was he afraid he won't have Luffy's family's blessing? He's Dr. Heartstealer! (As he recalled having people name him.) He doesn't get nervous around people.

Law went back to his swivel chair and plopped down with a small sigh. Maybe his soulmate's family is an exception.

Law sighed, leaning on his swivel chair while looking at the ceiling. "It's really improper to dicuss personal things while at work."

---Scene---

Luffy heard the door from Law's office click open and looked at the direction. He saw Sabo coming out of the door while having the most relieved expression on his face – second to when Ace woke up the first time.

"Did you scold him?" Luffy asked curiously, while standing up from the chair he was sitting on.

"No." Sabo replied as they walked down the hallway towards the elevator doors. "We just talked for a bit, that's all."

Luffy just had this suspicious expression on his face as his soulmate's heartbeat began to slightly feel faint from the distance. But trusting that his soulmate's heartbeat became steady while Sabo was still there halfway to five minutes, he let it slide, for now.

"Are we visiting Ace today, Sabo?" Luffy asked, looking at Sabo who was now pressing on the elevator's button to the third floor after they went inside it.

"Yeah." Sabo replied with a shrug. "Just a quick hello, then, we'll be on our way."

When they arrived at the third floor, they both went outside the elevator along with two nurses who got in with them from the fifth floor.

While the nurses turned right to the other rooms, Sabo and Luffy turned left to where Ace was.

The hospital was a bit peaceful this time around. Not sure if it has anything to do with the national holiday next week, but it was a good thing since there aren't any more new people getting injured. Only the people that had appointments went and had relatives and friends inside the hospitals visited.

They finally arrived at Ace's room and Sabo opened the door, revealing a fully awake Ace that still has wires and tubes attached to him which was a real pity, but it'll all be removed in the next three days.

"Hey, Ace!" Luffy greeted with a smile.

"Hi, Ace." Sabo greeted while closing the door behind him and Luffy.

Ace, on the other hand, just shifted his gaze towards his brothers and gave them a small wave of his hand from the bed rails.

"Dr. Trafalgar said your ETT removal would be scheduled three days from now." Sabo informed. "He said recovery would take at least four weeks. No talking during that recovery period and no eating. Strict orders from the doctor."

Ace's eyes narrowed in disappointment as the medical tape from his mouth slightly got tugged from the huff he let out.

"Oh, don't be like that." Sabo scolded. "You'll have a physiotherapy session every 2-3 hours after those four weeks, then you'll be discharge after he runs some more tests."

"Yeah, Ace!" Luffy exclaimed enthusiastically. "And then we'll be able to hang out again! We can eat out, go hike the mountains, oh wait, Skypea mountain ranges is a six-hour drive." Luffy sighed, his enthusiastic glow now turned into glum.

"We could go to Mt. Corvo to hike since it's nearer – plus, we can visit Dadan and the others – or eat and hang out at Sabaody Park near Sabaody Uni." Sabo suggested. But then he mused to himself. "Honestly, who builds an amusement park two blocks away from a university?"

"Ne~, Ace, you can decide after you can speak." Luffy declared. "It's Sabo's treat!"

"Yes, yes, it'll be my treat." Sabo shrugged, not protesting as he looked at Luffy who is now back into his enthusiastic state moments ago.

"Well, we just came to tell you to be prepared for the upcoming weeks." Sabo stated. "This is for your full recovery, Ace, please cooperate with the doctor, even if he's Luffy's soulmate." Now Sabo wished he didn't say the last part because Ace's eyes widened and he almost stood up in shock. But the physical pain was too much for him to handle, so he lied back down with the help of his two brothers.

Sabo forgot Ace didn't know about Luffy's soulmate and that was either a mistake or fate that he told the eldest brother.

"I think you shouldn't have said that, Sabo. He makes a big deal out of anything." Luffy uttered, supporting Ace's back as he slowly lied back down. "Maybe after his physiotherapy?"

"Yeah, I think I made his situation worse." Sabo sighed, standing up properly again after Ace finally lied back down on the slightly reclined bed. "Anyway, Dr. Trafalgar said Dr. Hiriluk is visiting his hometown for a month and he's assigned to you now." He informed the older brother. "We'll be going now. I can't be there for your ETT removal since I have another job assignment at Ruskaina Province. Take care and listen to the doctors and nurses, Ace."

Then, both Sabo and Luffy waved goodbye to Ace from his door as the elder of the three did the same. And when the two finally went out and closed the door, Ace was already planning on thousands of ways on how to murder Luffy's soulmate if he feels that he, Dr. Trafalgar as he may assume, is not good enough for his youngest brother.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47.9K 1.4K 3
A soulmate was someone you had a natural affinity for. Someone that'd compliment you and feel deeply connected to, they were like another part of you...
38K 1.6K 13
[LOVE ALARM AU] COMPLETEDβ˜‘οΈ Love alarm, an app that can automatically tell you when you're in a 10-meter radius of someone who loves you. Love is ki...
705 25 21
Kiyoomi Sakusa had only ever dreamed of his teammate, Atsumu Miya, becoming his soulmate. But when Kiyoomi's dreams come true, it's up to him to deci...
3.1K 54 18
This is a haikyuu soulmate au. The way the soulmates work is they will get a colour stripe on their dominant wrist, the colour will be their soulmate...