Species Unknown [Book 2: Pisc...

By fantasynote

*MERMAN ROMANCE* Moving from the warm beaches of Oahu to the rocky shores of Monterey, California was suppose... More

PROLOGUE
01. TO FORGET
02. SOMETHING FISHY
03. GHOSTS
04. SINK OR SWIM
05. SHADOW IN THE WATER
06. SPIRITS
07. SECOND CHANCE
09. A WARNING IN THE DARK
10. AN UNEXPECTED VISITOR
11. STUPID IDEAS
12. IMPENDING ARRIVAL
13. DR. RICHARD GRANT
14. CAUGHT
15. A FULL VIEW
16. CHECKMATE
17. THE RETURN
18. GOING UNDER
19. SACRIFICES
20. TO KEEP A PROMISE
21. FORMING A PLAN
22. METAHUMAN TRIALS
23. TAKING ACTION
24. PLAYING ALONG
25. BECOMING CLOSER
26. CASSIAN
27. PRETTY LIES
28. TRUSTING THE ENEMY
29. THE PLAN
30. THE ESCAPE (PART 1)
31. THE ESCAPE (PART 2)
32. THE ESCAPE (PART 3)
33. ALONE TOGETHER
34. WARM DESPITE THE COLD
EPILOGUE
BOOK 3: CANIS

08. THE CREATURE

4.1K 240 50
By fantasynote

RIGHT ON TIME Noah came to meet me at the end of his shift. Together we walked to my car after I insisted on driving. I have a rule that I never get into a stranger's car, and though Noah seemed nice, I did just meet him a day ago. But also because I wanted to make sure we drove by the coast on the way to the ramen place. I wanted another chance to search the water.

"Thanks for driving." Noah said with a smile as he slid into the passenger's seat. I waited for him to put on his seatbelt before turning on the car.

"No problem." I replied, pulling out of the compound and onto the rocky costal highway.

The already setting sun set the ocean ablaze with a mixture of vibrant reds and bright oranges. I squinted to get a better view of the coastline but the bright sunset was blinding, covering any shadows hidden beneath the waves. With a sigh, I looked away and back towards the road.

"Nice music taste." I heard Noah chime from beside me. Snapping out of my thoughts, I looked over at Noah and to the radio that played the song "Underneath It All" by No Doubt.

"Never would have guessed you liked 90s fem rock." I said, casting a skeptical look at Noah.

Noah chucked, and I noticed that he had a small dimple in his right cheek. "Music is music, besides, 90s rock is my favorite fem or not."

I nodded. "Well said, though I would have guessed you were more of a reggae kind of guy. Maybe like Sublime or something." I said, quickly glancing over at him.

"What makes you say that?" Noah asked quizzically.

Noah watched me as I let my eyes roam from his early 2000s shell choker that highlighted his wetsuit tan line, down to his board shorts and sandals. "Just an observation I suppose." I responded finally, and the car fell silent.

"Bob Marley" Noah said suddenly, as if answering a question.

I quirked an eyebrow. "What?"

"I listen to Bob Marley, not Sublime." Noah said with a half smirk, his eyes twinkling with mirth as they met mine. Understanding washed over me and I couldn't help my smile as I turned back to focus on the road.

We arrived at the ramen place soon after, and found a quiet table for two in the back of the small restaurant. It was relatively crowded and I hoped the sound of conversation and the restaurant's low instrumental background music would award us with enough privacy to talk.

After all, I wanted to find out what Noah knew about Dr. Grant and his special requests.

Once seated, we gave our orders and the waiter left, finally giving us the space to talk. My eyes met Noah's across the table. He seemed to have something to say as well, so I waited.

Then he spoke. "Lani, I meant it when I said how sorry I was for the other night. I knew Hunter was idiotic but not violent. I'm so sorry." He said, his eyes softening. I could tell he was genuinely upset, and I nodded.

"It's alright Noah, I already forgave you remember?" I said holding his gaze.

"Thank you." He said, his voice lower. His gaze was intense, searching mine.

It was silent for a moment while we looked at each other. Then I spoke, "Though now that we're alone..." I started, leaning forward onto the table to close some of the distance between us.

I watched as Noah's eyes widened and he leaned forward on the table to match me. I could've imagined it but I almost thought I saw him look at my lips as he leaned in.

"I wanted to ask you about the previous employees who quit at CROSS" I said, looking around us.

Noah blinked. Whatever spell he was under just broke and I could practically see the gears turning in his head as he tried to piece together what I had just said.

"Uh...yeah. Okay. What do you wanna know." Noah said quickly, clearing his throat and straightening a bit.

I watched his odd behavior for a moment before speaking, "Is it true they were all men?" I asked Noah.

"As far as I know, and they were all chosen by Dr. Grant himself." Noah replied, shifting in his seat and looking around.

My eyes widened at the mention of Dr. Grant's name. I leaned closer to Noah and lowered my voice, "What do you know about Dr. Richard Grant?"

Noah thought for a moment, "Well, he's the CEO of C.R.O.S.S. labs. He started this whole thing. He owns this compound and others like it."

"Others?"

"Yeah. You know the other departments. Aves...and Canis..." Noah said, waving his hand in dismissal.

I sat back in my chair. "Oh right, I heard them announce the other chosen interns at the annual genetics recruitment exposition at California State University. I think it was some girl named Aurora Hall for the Aves department and well...I can't remember the one for Canis actually." I said, furrowing my brow at the memory.

I remembered waiting among an anxious crowd of college graduates in the event hall at California State. There was a large black screen, that Dr. Richard Grant appeared on to announce the winners of three internship spots at C.R.O.S.S, his prestigious genetics laboratory. My name was the first one called for the PISCES department, and I must have been too shocked to process what happened the rest of the night.

Noah sighed, "Yeah, I'm not sure what caused Dr. Grant to decide to hire interns. I mean, when I applied it took an entire year of exams and paperwork to pass the screening." Noah grimaced, no doubt remembering the gruesome process.

"Does this have anything to do with the creature that escaped?" I asked quietly.

Noah froze. "I suppose it could, but who can say. Dr. Grant is a...private person."

"What happened with the creature exactly?" I asked, remembering Noah's vague explanation days ago. It was clear he knew more.

Noah shifted, "Lani...we're not supposed to talk about it."

I placed my hands on the table, "Please Noah, I just want to know what I'm getting myself into."

Noah ran a hand through his wavy blonde hair before fixing me with a defeated look, "Alright, well rumor is that Dr. Grant has been running secret experiments without the approval of the NSF's advisory board."

My eyes widened. "The Advisory Board of the National Science Foundation? Isn't that where he gets his funding?" I asked incredulously.

Noah nodded. "Yeah that's why he has to keep everything a secret. Anyways, rumor is he asked the board for approval to begin human experimentation, which they denied."

"Of course they did. That's madness!" I shouted, forgetting where we were. A few disgruntled customers cast disapproving looks at our table for my outburst.

I murmured a quick apology and lowered my voice, "Do you really think he's experimenting with human DNA?" I asked Noah.

Noah let out a breath. "I'm not sure, but he created something. Something smart enough to escape."

"So you know for sure it escaped? You said earlier that it just vanished."

Noah shook his head. "I didn't want to freak you out but when Flip found it, the door to the room was wide open, and the lock was ripped clean off...the steel lock."

"How do you know it was the creature that did that? Maybe somebody could have broke in and stolen it?" I asked in disbelief.

"Maybe, but Flip saw wet footprints leading from the tank to the door."

I opened my mouth to refute again but Noah cut me off with a look. Just in time the waiter approached carrying two large bowls of steaming ramen. The waiter set it down for us and then left once again.

I looked down at the food in shock. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Human experiments, an escaped potentially intelligent specimen, and runaway employees? I knew this place has secrets but I had no idea they would be this shady.

I took a swig of my drink and looked back at Noah. "If anything footprints would prove that someone broke in." I said still in disbelief.

Noah swallowed his bite of ramen and let out a sigh. "Footprints that were definitely not human."

"Oh my god..."

"Yeah..."

We said nothing else after that. We sat and ate our ramen in silence. When we finished, Noah paid and I drove him back to the compound to pick up his car.

As he made to leave my car he turned back to me, "It would be best if you didn't let people know what you knew." Noah said.

I looked at his cautionary gaze and nodded, watching as he left and went to his car. The sun had completely set now and it was a few hours past dark. I watched as Noah drove off, his headlights disappearing down the highway.

Once he was gone, I touched my bare neck, which once held my mothers necklace. My last piece of her. I let my eyes wander from the highway to the dark beach that lay beyond it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

135K 5.2K 34
Kidnapped by members of Mercile Industries, the pharmaceutical company that was shut down six years ago for their illegal experiments on New Species...
4.8M 255K 34
Those who were taken... They never came back, dragged beneath the waves never to return. Their haunting screams were a symbol of their horrific death...
69.8K 1.8K 5
She worked all her life in the lab, caring for the subjects. Until they escaped. And they wanted her. --------------------------------- You've spent...
1.2K 73 11
It truly is amazing how quickly your life can get flipped upside down. Actually, I take that back. In my case, it was more like my life was flipped...