Manon's Ascension

By Talia_Rhea

Paladins Series Finale: In the great kingdom of Gascony, in the cliffside city of Ambraude, there is a queen... More

Awkward Beginnings
Divine Corruption
The Humble and Honorable
Building Bonds
Experience Interrupted
Queen of Mercy
Fire and Blame
Breaking From Within
Lingering Feelings
Old Allies
Within the Palace
Where It All Began
Love and Obsession
Peace at Last
Epilogue

Anywhere, Anytime

207 17 8
By Talia_Rhea

Anywhere, Anytime

"A new hospital, a new waste disposal plant, a new school..." Jacques was reading aloud as his eyes scanned down the parchment Manon had given him. It contained a summary of all the new building projects that she was starting.

"Why do we need a new school?" He asked, lifting his head.

Manon, looking over the expense reports for the hospital where she stood near her desk, answered without looking up. "It's a girl's school."

"A girl's school? Why do we need that?"

"Because the girls need to be comfortable getting more than just a primary education. If we just open the regular schools to them, they won't go. The boys already there won't make them feel comfortable and they might feel like they aren't allowed even if we say they are. If we have a school just for girls, then they will know that they're safe and wanted."

Jacques looked thoughtful. "Is that how female education was expanded in Vasconia?"

"Indeed it was. During my great-grandmother's reign. We have some very old and prestigious girl's schools now because of her."

Jacques nodded. "Then, I am in agreement. I'll leave control of it to you though. The hospital?'

"Not so much a new building as I want to renovate the old one. I got a letter a few weeks ago from the staff requesting funds for some needed repairs. When I sent someone to investigate, their report indicates there is a need for a great deal more. I think the building can be saved, but it will need expansion, I'm thinking another entire floor, a new building, modernization, and new supplies and furniture."

"That's quite an expense."

"But a worthy one. Especially with how many soldiers we have that returned with wounds that will last for years. Besides, the hospital was built when Ambraude still only had two rings. It needs to expand to support the bigger population."

"You make good arguments. Very well. And the waste disposal plant?"

"Oh, that one is actually really exciting. Look at these plans..." She fetched a paper from her desk and brought it to him, eagerly pointing out the new machinery that was intended for the building. The style was entirely new, completely different from their current systems. It was the first thing Manon had her hand in improving that wasn't coming from Vasconian ideas.

If anything, she was pretty sure that Vasconia might very well end up taking this idea from them. The amount of waste that could be treated and purified into various components used in fertilizers and industrial purposes was much higher and the yields much purer.

Well, as pure as such a thing could be anyway.

And yes, it did occur to her that she was excited over literal shit, but she had long since accepted that adulthood came with some weird quirks like that.

After they finished discussing the new infrastructure projects, she sat back behind her desk and moved onto the next thing on the schedule.

The two of them were going to be at the upper market later for the re-opening. Not every building had been completely repaired, but most of them were going to be ready for business. Thanks to royal support and the eager work of their new lords. The businessmen-turned-noblemen were eager to prove their worth and prove themselves worthy of the titles they had been given. Manon had never seen crews work so fast as she did over the last few days.

But that was going to happen around midday. They still had a lot to do this morning. Besides running the building plans by Jacques, she also had to reply to the letters she had received from her family and friends throughout the three kingdoms, approve the spending reports Arnaud had sent them for the palace, and start preparing for Queen Eleonore's visit.

The Lloegyrian queen, pleased with the reports she was receiving from Cy, had decided that she was going to pay Gascony a visit herself. Partially to help re-establish relations between their kingdoms, but mostly as a show of approval to the Gascony people.

While Lloegyr had never lent troops to the war, there was no denying that, by the end, they had firmly taken Vasconia's side. That was mostly Gascony's fault. The queen had tried to remain neutral, initially, until the former general had used her country, without her knowledge, to transport weapons and soldiers around the barrier mountains to reach border towns between Vasconia and Lloegyr. She had not minded providing supplies or food to both sides, but she had absolutely refused to help in the war efforts - directly or indirectly. That move had decided her loyalty and, for the remainder of the war, she had helped only Vasconia.

For her to come here was a sign that all was forgiven, that she approved of the new regime, and that she was willing to move forward with the relationship between all three kingdoms. Manon was eager to host her.

And for that, everything had to be perfect. She wouldn't be here for a few more weeks, but Manon had to start preparing now. After all, if this went well, then it might mean that a meeting between Gascony and Vasconia could go well.

Her brother had replied to her previous letter to him. He was fine with rebuilding Petrus Landebert and meeting her there. Rebuilding the bonds between their people. Since Petrus Landebert was a Vasconian city, technically, he was the one financing and planning that move. She only had to wait for his invitation to join him. But still, hearing that it was going forward made her happy.

For now, however, she checked her schedule to what else she had to finish today. A bit confused because she thought opening the upper market was the last thing on her list. But it appeared that someone had added something to the bottom, and she was pretty sure it was Jacques' handwriting.

After the market opening and staying to enjoy some shopping and celebrations - because it would be rude and might send a bad message to just be there for a second then leave - Jacques had added 'meeting to discuss royal policy - VERY IMPORTANT'.

"Hey, Jacques?" She called up to him.

He hummed a reply but didn't look up from what he was writing - she was pretty sure he was making new laws regarding treatment of prisoners of war. They had all been released after the war was finished, so making those laws hadn't been an immediate priority, but it was something he had wanted to address since he ascended the throne.

Neither of them planned on a new war breaking out, but they wanted to plan for any eventuality that might occur after they passed on their crowns.

"What's this meeting you added at the end of my schedule?"

"Oh, yes, that's very important," he said, pointing his quill at her with a serious face. "We can't go to bed tonight until we've had that meeting."

"Sure, but you know we're going to be at the upper market until late?"

"Yes, but I really need to discuss some things with you. It's important for the future of your role as queen. We might leave just an hour or an hour and a half early from the market."

Manon frowned but nodded. She didn't know what he was talking about though. The laws regarding the queen's rights, privileges, and responsibilities had been one of the first things that they changed. They needed to so that she could actually get work done.

But it sounded important, so she would just have to accept that they were going to have to rush out of the market, and probably stay up late as well.

She missed getting a full night's sleep, but she was kind of used to it by now.

The rest of the morning passed without issue and, after signing and setting aside her last letter to dry, Manon told Jacques she was going to go change for the market. He reminded her, again, that they needed to have that meeting afterwards.

It really must be important if he was so fixated on it. She was sure that if it was something truly bad, they would have made time for that meeting earlier, so it was something that could wait. But not so much that he didn't look deadly serious when he told her not to forget. She couldn't imagine what the conversation would be about though.

Putting it from her mind, she returned to her changing room for the second time that day and let her  lady's maids dress her. All three of them were chatting excitedly about how much fun they were going to have later. When they finished with this, she was dismissing them for the day so that they could enjoy the market for themselves. That had been Jacques' idea and her maids seemed to approve because it was all they could talk about.

She was glad that they finally seemed to be getting comfortable in Gascony again. All three of them were being treated well. Of course, no one was telling anyone the fact that they all used to be labeled as unnaturals. That was a secret that they weren't really trying to keep, just one that they were keeping as a matter of course.

Though the laws regarding empowered women - the title that she and Jacques had decided on since they wouldn't be paladins here and they refused to call them unnatural any longer - had already been changed, no one had been identified as one yet to put those changes to the test. Manon did not want it to be her lady's maids. The three of them had already suffered enough for their powers, she didn't want them to be the first to navigate the new laws and try to change feelings.

Lea and Amorette were doing the bulk of that work - Amorette more than Lea. The problem was that they were both fully realized paladins with a great deal of strength and combat prowess. Even the most staunch hater of unnaturals wouldn't dare stand against them. So, really, the true test would come about when the first empowered woman was found beyond them.

Manon hoped, whoever she was, she was strong enough to weather the storm that would come with her arrival.

Freshly changed into a lilac daydress, she made her way down to the front of the palace where Jacques was already waiting for her. He hadn't changed and was still working, speaking with Arnaud about something until he saw her approach and he dismissed the elder man.

"Hello, my dear," he greeted with a warm smile, offering his arm. "You're looking positively radiant today."

Manon grinned. "Are you going to compliment me every time I change my clothes?"

"I wasn't really planning on it," his eyes sparkled with laughter. "Have I really said something every time?"

"You have. You must be more discerning with your compliments, my king, or they'll begin to sound disingenuous."

He looked scandalized. "Disingenuous? Absurd. If there is any problem here, my darling, it is that you are too beautiful and you cause such things to fall from my lips without my realizing."

"Ah, it is my fault?"

"Indeed." He held his head high. "I am but a man. I am helpless to the attraction to my wife. You shall make me seem a liar because you are too lovely."

"Do forgive me then," she snickered.

"I shall not. Not so long as you continue to commit this sin." He gave her a heated look that made her heart pound and her body tighten with need.

Damn. If they didn't have this super important meeting tonight, it would have been a great chance to try to find the time to actually be together.

The two of them climbed aboard their private aircab and chatted harmlessly as it flew them over the city towards the upper market. There weren't any protesters on the gates today, but not every face that turned up to look at their elegant ship seemed pleased.

"They're getting used to you," Jacques said suddenly, pulling her focus from the people in the streets below and back onto him.

"What?"

"Our people," he gestured to the window. "I hear what they say about you. The ones claiming that you are evil incarnate are pretty much silenced now. Not to say that everyone likes you, but they're not really saying that you're going to cause the entire city to crash into the ocean anymore."

She chuckled. "You would think I was some great monster by the way people talk about me."

"They just had to get used to the change." He reached across the cabin and took her hand, holding it between both of his own. "But they are getting used to you, and a lot of them see the good that you're doing."

Manon shook her head. "If they've learned to tolerate me, it's only because of you. They see the way you pretend to fawn over me and it speaks to the romantic in them."

"Pretend?" He cocked his head curiously.

"Like you just did," she gestured backwards, vaguely indicating towards the palace. "You're always saying things like that and constantly touching me. Seeing you acting like you're so deeply in love helps your people tolerate me because they already love you."

"Acting?" His voice was strange now.

"You know what I mean. That thing you do." She hesitated to continue when his eyes narrowed on her in a rather dangerous, exciting way.

"Manon."

"Er, yes?"

"Do you think I lied to you earlier?"

"You mean, when you called me radiant?" She shifted in her seat a bit. "I mean, I don't think it was a lie per se. More like just... an act."

He yanked on her hand without warning, sending her sprawling across his lap. His arms locked around her waist, keeping her against his chest.

"Erm, was it not?" She asked, breathless, her hands resting against his chest as he looked at her with a surprising ferocity in his gaze.

"It was most certainly not. You mean to say that, this entire time, every time I've expressed how much you mean to me, you've thought I was lying?"

"Well, no, not every time."

"Just the times when we're in front of people?"

"I thought you were just playing it up for their benefit."

"I was," he growled, sliding his hand up under her skirt, stroking her thigh. "But that doesn't mean every word I spoke wasn't true."

Manon opened her mouth, but she found that she didn't have anything to say. The look in Jacques' eye stole her breath and made it hard to think. 

"Every word I've spoken to you, Manon, even if I was being exaggeratedly loud and exuberant for the purposes of an audience, has been true."

"You..." She couldn't really find words to reply with. Not when she remembered how many times Jacques told her she was beautiful, how often he showered her in affection, how many times he declared how much she meant to him.

He couldn't possibly mean all of them.

But the hard look in his eye told her that he very much did and, more than that, he was insulted that she believed him to be an actor, if not an outright liar.

"Jacques, you..." Her voice trailed off, unsure of what to even say.

"We are almost there," he said, squeezing her thigh. "So we will have to delay this particular discussion until later.

"However, let me just say this, my beautiful, if dense, wife: I promised that I would attempt to love you as your husband, but I never made a promise to lie if I didn't. Our marriage is arranged, and more people benefit from it than just us. But do not believe, for even a moment, that I would play with your emotions by falsifying my affections."

"Jacques-"

He cut her off by grabbing her by the neck and yanking her down for a hard, almost angry kiss. He bit her lip before entangling his tongue with hers, dominating her in a way that was entirely new for him. She found herself shivering under the onslaught.

The ship rocked as it touched down. Fear gripped Manon's belly as she remembered that their aircab had clear glass windows and the drapes over them were drawn back to let in the natural light. Anyone out there could see the way their king was practically mauling her.

But when she tried to push back, he growled and tightened his grip, keeping her right there, kissing her for any and everyone who cared to look to see. Proving to her that he meant every word he said and he didn't care who saw it.

Manon's resistance only lasted a few more seconds before she melted against him, Trembling, moaning as he proved his desire.

He was the one who broke it off and, when she could finally focus back on her surroundings, it was to find that they were on the public docks near the upper market and their royal guard had stepped in front of the windows blocking the public's view of them.

Jacques chuckled at the sight of their backs. "Our servants and staff are quite good at their jobs. We should offer them a raise."

Manon was too breathless and flustered to answer. He just grinned at her, smug and pleased with himself, until she was able to push off of his lap and sit on her own seat.

"Your skirt is askew, my dear," he pointed out innocently.

She glared at him as she set it to rights. He only laughed. As he very well should. He had definitely won this game between them. Not that she very much felt like a loser, to be perfectly honest. And she couldn't wait to play again.

Once she was presentable, Jacques knocked against the window. Immediately, the guards stepped back, allowing the dock foreman to rush forward and open the door. Jacques stood and straightened his coat before reaching back to help her out. A complete gentleman who definitely didn't look like he just had the same hand he offered her now up her skirt only a short moment ago.

Manon tried to look just as aloof and unflappable but wasn't sure how well she did. At the very least, everyone was polite enough to pretend she wasn't flustered and pink in the face as she and Jacques greeted the foreman of the dock and his team.

As he spoke to them, he covered the hand she kept on his arm. A sweet move that partially disguised the way he used his thumb to stroke the inside of her wrist. A gentle reminder of what they had done in the aircab and what more he wanted to do to her.

And that wasn't all, either.

When they finished at the docks and made their way to the repaired market, which was teeming with life and color as nobles and servants filled the streets and shops, he released her grip on his arm and instead put a hand around her waist. Under the coat of his that she was wearing. Where no one could see as he stroked her back and, occasionally, when she least expected it, moved his hand down further to caress or outright grab her bottom before quickly returning to her back. All the while chatting and laughing with others like he was doing nothing.

Every so often, he would lean over on the pretense of whispering something into her ear, but would instead nibble or lick at the lobe. She jumped the first time and he apologized for startling her, loudly so anyone who saw didn't realize what he had done. Then, just a few minutes later, he did it again while pointing forward at something like he was trying to draw her attention to it.

He was frisky today, and she didn't understand why. What purpose did he have in getting them both worked up when they could do nothing about it? They were just going to go to bed exhausted and frustrated later.

But aside from the clandestine touches and deliberate seduction, he was a perfect gentleman as he took her around.

Just like at the summer festival, they couldn't actually express any displeasure at anything they saw as it might be detrimental to the business in question. They also made sure to buy at least one thing from each business so they didn't show favor to anyone.

By the time they were ready to break for the midday meal, Jacques had purchased for her a new sunhat, three new, styled ribbons, a scarf, a handbag, a fan, a small, leather bound journal, a new quill, and five different pieces of jewelry.

"Husband, you spoil me," Manon said as he passed off his latest purchase - a pair of earrings that matched a pair of cufflinks he had just bought for himself - off to one of their servants. Everything was being carried for them and would be taken directly to the palace when they were done.

"Nonsense," Jacques declared, turning with her from the shop owner that had gleefully handed over his merchandise. "Spoiling makes it sound like you're somehow tainted by my affection. I'm merely attempting to adorn you with things that might possibly rival your beauty."

He slipped his hand under his coat again, this time resting it right on the curve of her ass, not even pretending that he was going to move it up. The position was hidden by the coat, but she still felt heat rush through her at his blatant action.

Really, what was he doing?

"Our luncheon is prepared in the park across the street," Jacques was saying, pushing her forward. "All the food was prepared by the street vendors here. I can't wait to try it."

She mumbled something that might have been construed as agreement, but really most of her focus was on the way he was massaging her backside. Just grabbing a big fistful of flesh under her light skirt, and squeezing until it almost hurt. Then letting go, moving over, and doing the same thing on the other side. Like her bum was his personal toy.

And that thought should not have made a fissure of heat erupt in her loins.

Their food had been set out for them on one of the many circular, wrought iron tables that decorated the park for just such events. Jacques helped her into her seat - which had a cushion on it that was definitely put down by the servants before their arrival - before taking his own seat and looking at the wondrous options available to them.

Most of the food was sweets. Creams and tarts and jellies and cakes. Small things meant to be eaten and enjoyed while standing before moving on to the next store. Little delicacies that, individually, weren't outrageously priced so servants sent to shop for their employers could buy one or two to enjoy on their own as well.

And they were delicious. Not really a filling midday meal, but they had anticipated as much and had eaten a hearty breakfast. However, the treats were tasty and there were so many that it was fun to try each of them and get a new experience.

What was even more fun was when Manon bit into something disgusting. She had to hide her expression of revulsion as she chewed the overly sweetened puff pastry filled with icing that she was pretty sure was only meant to be drizzled lightly across cakes. She could hardly spit it out because they were surrounded by other nobles enjoying the park and everyone was watching them.

What she could and did do, however, was offer the rest of the bite up to Jacques.

"Husband, you simply must try this," she cooed, doing her best attempt at a seductress.

It worked tremendously because Jacques didn't even glance at what she offered. His eyes heated with desire as he leaned forward and ate directly from her fingers. His tongue sweeping out to clean the digits of any stray icing as he did so.

He leaned back, grinning at her, clearly thinking he had won another round in this weird torture game he was playing with her. But then he started chewing.

Manon knew the exact moment the flavor hit his tongue because he stiffened and there was a brief hesitation as he chewed. He very quickly pinned his smile in place but she was close enough to see how forced it was.

"Quite a taste, don't you think?" She asked sweetly, sucking her own fingers clean and looking him right in the eye as she did so. Her mother would have had a heart attack at such bad manners, especially out in public, but she didn't rightfully care at that moment.

Jacques swallowed, but it wasn't without effort. She saw the partially chewed bite as it slid down his throat and she very nearly choked on her own laughter.

"Whatever did I do to enjoy such a treat?" He asked before sipping at his tea, trying to banish the cloying flavor from his tongue.

"Just repayment for all the fine attention you've shown me today." She saluted him with her own teacup.

His gaze sharpened on her for just a second before he grinned. And though that grin was innocent, she shivered from the inherent danger in it.

"You've just reminded me, dear wife, of something important."

"Oh? Do tell." She prodded gently, willing to play along.

"For our meeting later - that very important one we have tonight - what shall we eat?"

Manon, unprepared for the random question, only looked confused.

Jacques continued on like he wasn't really expecting an answer though, in an almost pondering like fashion, "I'm enjoying these sweets a great deal. I think I should like something else sweet."

She cocked a curious brow, still confused. "Even after this meal? I'd think you want something more savory."

"I fully intend to savor it," he promised, his voice dropping as he gave her a look that heated her all the way to her toes. "But my tongue dearly wants to lap at something... sweet."

He was not talking about food. Not food!

Unprepared for the sudden direction change, despite all the effort he had put into seducing her through the morning, Manon couldn't actually think of anything intelligent to say in response. Jacques smirked, clearly seeing another victory coming.

She jumped when she suddenly felt his foot brush against hers under the table, under her skirt, out of view of anyone else. The toe of his boot teased her ankle in a touch that was at once playful and amorous thanks to that burning look he gave her.

"Yes, I think I shall feast deeply tonight," he said in a growling tone that made her tremble with need at the promise inherent in the words.

"Jacques," she finally managed to gather her breath to speak. "That meeting we're having tonight..."

"Yes?"

"Exactly what were we discussing again?"

"I told you. Your role as queen," he leaned in closer, whispering, "and your future role as mother to the next ruler."

"You-" She cut herself off when her voice came out much higher and louder than she intended thanks to the rush of excitement that ripped through her body. She cleared her throat as her eyes darted around, making sure no one had looked over at her accidental exclamation. "Jacques, did you put down congress on our schedule?"

He chuckled. "Congress? Yes, I suppose I did."

"Really? On a schedule?"

"Well, as much as I appreciate spontaneity, and I fully intend on dragging you off to whatever closet I can find or pushing you over whatever desk or table happens to be nearby later, if we wanted to make this happen, we had to make the time for it. So, I did."

"We have so much we need to do though. Can we really justify even an hour-"

He laughed, cutting her off.

"What?"

"You think, after all this time, I would be satisfied with a measly hour?" He used his foot to force her legs apart. Not much, it wasn't noticeable to anyone else, but she was all too aware of the message he was sending. "Our supper is being sent to our rooms tonight and our staff has orders not to bother us unless it is an emergency."

It took a second for Manon to understand what he was saying. "Wait. Do you mean to tell me that the entire palace knows that... that you..."

"That we," he corrected with a smug grin. "And actually, you would be surprised by just how willing everyone was to help me. The chefs promised me a light meal of finger foods, your maids promised to have the room readied before they left for the day, our guards are eager to keep anyone away. I think they're all more concerned with it not happening than we are."

"Jacques," she hissed, embarrassed.

He laughed. "Manon, please. As though our servants don't know every aspect of our lives and business. It's their job to know and most of them are merciless gossips. But they've also all been selected to be loyal to us. They want us to have an heir because it means greater stability and certainty in their lives and their children's lives. If you tell me it was any different in the castle in Vasconia, I will call you a liar outright."

Manon said nothing, because she couldn't say anything. He was right and they both knew it. But it was so weird to think about how many people knew her husband planned on having sex with her tonight, that it would be the first time, and they were all trying to help.

Sweet, but odd. And embarrassing.

They finished their meal without incident. But every time she tried to put her feet back together, he would kick them apart again. He refused to let her close them and, though she was hardly spreading her thighs wide, even that small amount made a difference and kept her from thinking about anything other than this important meeting tonight.

Which was exactly what he wanted, the evil man.

They returned to shopping and socializing as though nothing had happened. Manon wasn't sure how Jacques was so easily able to keep a straight face when she felt like her heart was going to take a tumbling  leap from her chest with every small touch he gave her.

And he wouldn't stop reaching out to touch her.

His overt, blatant grabbing and teasing were gone. In their place, however, were gentle whispers of caresses that reminded her of what was to come and kept him constantly in the forefront of her mind whenever she threatened to become sufficiently distracted.

When she was talking to a few of the noble wives, discussing having them over for a lady's dinner, he came over from where he had been putting in an order for fabrics to be delivered to his tailor, and stroked the back of her neck with just the tips of his fingers.

"Manon, come look at these darling gloves," he said as though she and her heart hadn't jumped at his touch. "I think they would be perfect for that rose dress of yours."

He then used the opportunity he had while showing her the gloves to stroke and caress her fingers and palms and the soft skin of her wrist. He pretended to be fitting the gloves over her hands but all the while he was only mercilessly teasing her further.

Evil, evil man.

They stayed out in the market for hours more. Buying things they didn't need, supporting businesses they didn't actually care for, and making friends that they would never trust and didn't like. Doing their duties as monarchs by being there for their people in the most basic ways.

All the while, he continued to tease and torment her. Building up her desire. Reminding her of what was going to happen the moment they got back to the palace.

She was eager. Any fear or nerves were long since gone in the wake of the desires they had both been ignoring and deferring for far too long. She wanted her husband, damn it, and knowing that it was going to happen in a few more hours only heightened the tension.

As the sun began to sink into evening, the two of them bid farewell to a few friends and thanked everyone for a lovely time before returning to the docks. By the time they reached their private aircab, the engine was already running and the pilot was in place, secure in his little cabin that was separated from theirs.

Jacques helped her inside and then climbed in after her. The guards shut the door as the two sat across from each other.

Staring.

Waiting.

Was he going to maul her again?

She really hoped he did.

Her body was as tight as a drawn bow string and she was aching for his touch. But he only grinned at her as he made some insipid comment about what a lovely evening it had been. She returned it with her own comment about how nice the objects they purchased were and how she couldn't wait to wear them. She didn't know exactly what she said, she didn't care.

She was more focused on Jacques' big hand resting on his muscular thigh. On his broad shoulders as they moved under his shirt as he got comfortable on the seat. The movement of his lips when he returned her banal comment with one of his own.

She didn't hear what he was saying. She was not even paying attention.

The cab flew into the indoor docks at the top of the palace and Manon was impatient for Jacques to stand so he could offer her a hand out. He didn't give her his arm once she was down, however. He put his arm right back around her waist and pulled her along. His movements hurried with only the barest hint of control to pretend like they weren't in a rush.

He was as eager as she was.

Their demonstrably capable staff had already prepared their room. Supper was sitting, ready for them, under the window. All small, cold, finger foods that could handle being ignored for a few hours if necessary.

The door shut behind them with a thudding finality.

And Manon found all of her eagerness wilting in the face of the reality of what was about to happen. It suddenly felt awkward.

Jacques tilted his head curiously, watching her facial expression. "Are you having second thoughts, dearest?"

"No, no!" She hastened to say, rushing forward to grab his arm. The very last thing she wanted was for him to back off now and claim it was because she was afraid. She was definitely not. She was just... "It just feels so weird to have planned and scheduled this."

He chuckled in agreement, easing some of her tension. "Definitely takes a bit of the romance out of it, doesn't it?"

"Yeah," she breathed, her shoulders relaxing.

Jacques looked thoughtful for a second before he perked up. Holding his head high, he offered her his arm in a very gallant, slightly dramatic fashion.

"My lady, may I escort you to the dining table?"

Manon snickered, unsure what he was doing but, as ever, not unwilling to play his games. She put her nose in the air as she rested her fingers daintily upon his forearm. "You may, sir, but do keep your hands to yourself. I am a properly bred lady."

"You will definitely be properly bred," he agreed in an innocent tone that didn't at all disguise the raw meaning of his words.

Manon pretended that she didn't notice or that her heart wasn't already pounding, her excitement building again, as he walked her to their small table with all the aplomb and dignity of them approaching a formal, state dinner.

He held out her chair. Pushed it in for her. His fingers traced gently along the slope of her neck in an act that was definitely not accidental that she pretended not to notice as she very primly unfolded her napkin over her lap.

Jacques came around and took his seat as she grabbed the teapot.

"Shall I pour, good sir?"

"By all means, gentle lady. No sugar or cream, if you will," he said as though she didn't know very well exactly how he preferred his tea.

But she went along with it, filling the cup as he investigated the offerings. It was a simple meal. Cold meats and jams all tucked within finely cut triangular or square sandwiches. There were some flowers for decoration around the tiered plate, but otherwise, the food was presented without any needless frivolity.

"Chicken?" Jacques asked.

"Please," she nodded once.

With exaggerated movements that made her bite back her snickers, he reached up and plucked one of the sandwiches from the top tray. But where she expected him to lay it down on her plate, he instead raised it to her lips.

She didn't hesitate to open her mouth and let him push the bite sized morsel inside. She trembled when this thumb stroked across her bottom lip with the action.

She had already done this in public earlier. It was easier and more thrilling to do it again now as she offered him one of the sandwiches in turn. Jacques ate the offering before kissing the tips of her fingers as she drew them away.

They took turns feeding each other. Getting bolder with each bite.

She licked his fingers on his next turn. He nipped at hers on his. She retaliated by sucking some of the jam off his thumb. He countered by licking, then sucking the entirety of her finger while holding her hand captive in his.

Manon didn't think she tasted a single bite of the dinner. The only flavor in her mouth was that of the salt of his skin as she teased and sucked at it.

They didn't even get halfway through the meal before he broke.

His eyes flashed and that was her only warning before he used the grip he still had on her hand to yank her into his lap, just like he had done in the cab. This time, however, Manon was more than willing to go, her arms wrapping around him immediately as he drew her up to kiss her deeply. She perched on his lap, stroking her hand down his jaw, roughened as his beard grew in this late in the day.

It was scratchy and unfamiliar and so firmly masculine that she stroked the barely-there beard again just for the rush of heat the touch brought her.

"You should grow this out," she ordered between kisses, now eager to feel what it would be like to run her hands through a proper beard and not just a scruff.

Jacques chuckled. "As my lady commands."

He focused back on kissing her as his fingers moved to the back of her dress where her laces had been left just a bit loose this morning. Not enough to easily come undone, but just enough that Jacques didn't even have to look to pull them apart.

Her bodice loosened and Manon took in a deep breath that simply wasn't enough. Especially when he reached back with both hands, grabbed either side of the dress, and pulled, yanking it wide open so that it fell down her shoulders, revealing the corset that was offering her breasts up to his attention in a way that didn't look nearly as vulgar this morning when she first put the garment on.

"Yes," Jacques breathed, his finger running along the swell of the soft flesh, right there where her skin met the fabric.

While he was investigating the newly exposed flesh, Manon was on a mission of her own, hastily pulling apart the buttons of his shirt. Opening it to reveal the chest she had seen so many times in sleep now but had not had been able to touch to her heart's content.

Jacques' movements were much slower, much more deliberate than hers, as he began pulling at the laces down the front of her corset. Loosening them. Letting her breasts expand and fall freely. Neither of them stopped until they were both topless.

They paused then. Not to cease what they were doing, but just to admire the newly exposed flesh of their partner.

Manon's fingers, trembling with nerves and excitement, traced along the hard lines of his masculine chest, wondering how a man's body could be so very different from her own. It was like he was carved from rock while she was stuffed with cotton.

He looked just as enraptured by their differences, He caressed the curve of her waist, then up to cup her breasts in both hands. Testing their weight like fruit at the market before he gently began to massage the swollen flesh.

When he flicked his thumb over her nipple, she gasped.

Grinning, watching her face this time, he did it again. Then again. Then outright grabbed and pinched the sensitive tips making her back arch into his grip as a strange, heated shock jolted straight from the taut peaks and down to her core.

"Let me," he breathed. He didn't specify, she didn't care.

"Yes," she said, agreeing to anything as her head fell back.

His mouth closed over one nipple, sucking gently, then harder, using his tongue to swirl and stroke the peak as he became more comfortable with it. Her hands swept through his hair, grabbing onto his head and keeping him in place. Not that he was making any attempts to move - other than to switch his attention from one breast to the other. Which she was happy to allow as soft moans accompanied the rolling, warm pleasure his touch sent through her body.

This was way better than her own fingers. She lost track of time, of their surroundings, as she played with the shorter hair at the nape of his neck before allowing one hand to caress down the valley of his spine, right between his angular shoulder blades.

A man's body was such a different, exciting thing. She had kissed boys before, but it wasn't even close to the way Jacques held and kissed her. Their hands roaming freely over each other. Learning one another.

He found the spot on her lower back that made her tremble and moan. She found out that he liked it when she raked her nails gently across his shoulders. He made her realize just how great it felt to have him suck on her bottom lip. She surprised him when she played with his nipples in turn, making her laugh when he jerked against her from pleasured shock.

"Minx," he accused, his eyes dancing with dark approval.

Her laughter only deepened when he suddenly stood with her in his arms. Her dress was nearly falling off and his shirt almost tripped him up, but he recovered from the stumble and, both of them laughing, they crashed into the bed. It was neither romantic nor sexual but it was funny and Manon eagerly pulled him back into her arms, showering his face in kisses as he scrambled to pull apart his belt and kick off his boots at the same time.

That was also neither romantic nor sexual nor particularly graceful, but their laughter as they rolled around and fumbled with their remaining clothing made her forget that this had ever been awkward. All she could think of was that Jacques was her best friend, her partner, and she was glad she as doing this potentially awkward thing with him.

And when she was finally naked, he didn't stroke her skin or remark on her beauty. He took advantage and attacked, tickling her bared sides ruthlessly making her squeal and thrash as breathless laughter spilled from her lips.

"Admit defeat!" He commanded, pinning her legs with his own as her weakened efforts to bat his hands away failed.

"Never!" She gasped around her riotous laughs.

"Then, perish!" He growled, falling over her. His fingers still torturing his sides and now blowing raspberries against her neck. The dual sensations only made her wiggle harder, laugh harder, and become more aware of his hardening manhood pressed into her belly.

They were playful with each other, but that wasn't unusual. This dynamic was comfortable for them and maybe it wasn't raw passion or breathless romance, but it was who they were and she responded to his tickling touch on her nude body, to his weight pressing against her, to the raspberries that turned into licking, into sucking, into soft bites as her laughs quickly transformed into panting gasps as she rocked up against him.

His fingers moved lower, from attacking her waist to stroking her hips, to caressing her thighs, to lifting her legs to cradle him between them as he reached between her thighs. Curiously seeking that which his fingers already knew.

He had already touched her there. This was familiar. It was wonderful. She rocked against his palm, eagerly seeking her own pleasure as he readied her for his penetration. They both knew she needed to be readied first and he was determined her first time wouldn't be painful.

Jacques' nipped at her earlobe before leaning back, grinning down at her.

For just a moment, he admired his beautiful wife. The way she was stretched out beneath him, fully bared, all her defenses and precautions stripped away. The trust that had to bring her to this moment humbled him.

And her beauty right then was unparalleled. A light sheen of sweat made her shine in the light as her hair spilled around her head. Her eyes were half closed as her body tightened, seeking out the relief his fingers raced to bring her.

"Beautiful," he whispered, enraptured by her.

And somehow, he had managed to convince this perfect woman, this amazing queen, to agree to be his wife. He was a conman of the highest order if she really thought him her equal, but he also felt no guilt for that deception. If anything, he only wanted to be better for her. To try to live up to the standard she was unintentionally setting for him.

"Fly for me, Manon," he said, his entire body aching with longing. But he refused to have this moment be one she looked back on with regret or indifference. "Fly!"

She broke with a keening cry, one that sounded almost surprised, almost sad. Like she was regretful that she had to have this orgasm and lose the pleasure of the build up and his touch.

"I will give you more," he promised, leaning down to kiss her once. "Much more."

She was panting as he kissed her deeper, his fingers slowing as she came down from her shuddering high until she could grasp hold of him. Her hips rocking up against his, inviting him in to claim her fully.

"Jacques, now. Please," She begged, still panting.

He could deny her nothing. He steadied himself on one hand as he reached between them to feed his aching rod into her waiting body. He hissed and groaned as he fought back the urge to slam forward and hurt her, even if it would give him everything he desired at that moment.

She was tight and hot and a vice on his flesh that he never realized he had been missing until this moment. He didn't know why he had waited so long for this. If he had known how it would have felt, he would have taken his queen the first night they married and wouldn't have let her rest alone a single night after that. Or morning. Maybe a few times during the day.

Then again, maybe it was a good thing he didn't know exactly what he was missing. She was more important than his pleasure and the tensing of her thighs as he stretched previously untried flesh combined with her grimace at his slow advance told him that it wasn't a perfect feeling for her. But she tried to push up against him, to take more of him. His slow romance, his repeated denial, had made her desirous and eager for more even in the face of some mild discomfort.

When he finally pushed in the last of his length, both of them gave out a breath of relief. He was struggling to hold himself under control. But he could see the tension in her face and felt her muscles rippling along his flesh as she adjusted to the strange invasion.

But she hadn't cried out in pain and she was clutching him close. Her nails were digging into his shoulders, the tiny pinpricks the only reason he could focus on not driving into her body without her signal.

It seemed to take an eternity that was probably only seconds, but her eyes finally opened back on him and she nodded once. Granting permission.

Jacques slowly pulled out, gritting his teeth as the pleasure set him on fire. It took everything he had to just as slowly push back in. He was rewarded, however, with her small gasp of surprise as her hips jerked against his pelvis at the end, as though to take him in even deeper.

"Again!" She ordered, a strange look on her face.

Jacques, her obedient servant, did as he was told. A smile pulled at her lips as the discomfort faded completely in the wake of the pleasure he was returning to her.

"Faster," she pleaded, burying her face in his neck. Kissing and sucking against his flesh as she struggled to push her hips up against him.

Jacques was only too happy to oblige, some of his own tension leaving as he was able to move how he wanted. Slowly building up in speed until the heavy slap of skin against skin echoed in the room, punctuated by her whimpered moans and his deep grunts.

Though it was an effort, he forced himself to focus on her face again. He wanted to see her pleasure building. He needed to see it.

She was tensed up, hunching her body up against his, biting into her bottom lip so hard it was turning white. Her face was lined with frustration and he realized her wiggles weren't just her reacting to the pleasure, she was trying to seek more of it.

Not like this. He wasn't doing right by her yet.

He cast his mind back to when he had his fingers between her legs. What she liked. How she responded when he touched her.

Sitting up on his knees, surprising her into letting go, he grabbed her hips and jerked them up, changing the angle of his thrusts, before reaching down and stroking his thumb along the little nub of pleasure that he had been missing before.

The effect was instantaneous.

Manon let out a cry, her entire back arching as she grasped the blanket in her fingers, clutching and pulling on it as her eyes rolled back in her head.

Jacques couldn't help his smirk.

Yes. That was exactly what he wanted to see.

Manon coming apart under his touch. Breaking through his perfect queen to get a glimpse  of the wild woman underneath. To feel her thighs trembling around his waist as he sank deep into her wetness, again and again, until, with a cry that sounded sweeter than music, she shattered. She flew. Her eyes practically shined as her body clenched around him.

And in that moment, Jacques wasn't thinking about heirs or duty or responsibility. Nothing else was so important as the woman coming apart under his touch.

He held himself back from his own climax through sheer force of will, wanting to see hers through to its end. Wanting to witness the beauty of the moment.

But he only lasted a few seconds through the aftershocks that continued to wrack her body as her muscles clenched and massaged his flesh for everything he had. With a choked roar, he collapsed over her, his own body tensing as his seed pumped into her waiting womb.

Because he had pushed himself to the brink, waiting as long as possible to witness her pleasure, she recovered first. He was dimly aware, through the spasms that continued to run over his body, of her hands gently stroking him down from his high. They ran through his hair massaging his scalp, down his back, softly scraping her nails over flesh he hadn't realized was so sensitive.

He came back to himself kissing her shoulder, running his hand up and down her thigh that he continued to keep cocked up against his hip. He was still buried deep inside her, but he was going soft. Something he was sure wouldn't last.

"Wow," she finally said, laughing breathlessly, setting him off.

The rocking of their laughter moved their bodies together and he groaned, too sensitive after his orgasm for such movements. But he didn't want to stop. If he could, he would will himself hard again immediately so he could claim her once more.

"Give me a few minutes," he said, pressing a kiss into the hollow of her throat.

"I'm in no rush," she said dreamily, wrapping all four of her limbs around him.

"Am I crushing you?"

"Yes, and don't you dare stop."

He laughed at her vehemence, the motions making him groan again. Less pained this time as the sensitivity was fading.

"That was definitely worth the wait," she breathed, pressing a kiss to his temple.

"A minute."

"Hm?"

He didn't bother to explain himself as he instead lifted his weight off her so he could take in this new vision of his wife. She pouted in protest that he had moved, her hands not fully releasing him but instead holding onto his shoulders. As if she didn't want to be apart even that small amount.

Jacques thought there was nothing more beautiful than Manon in the wild throes of her pleasure, her body thrashing and jerking against him as she sought her ecstasy. But this was very close to being its equal.

A satisfied glow had settled over her bright skin, her eyes shimmering and half lidded with the lingering pleasure of her orgasm. Her hair was still wild, a testament to how she had been just moments ago, but her body itself was loose and languid and well loved.

His manhood twitched inside her as he began to harden again. She looked surprised, her wide eyes darting down to where their bodies were still connected then back up again.

"You... already?"

He smirked. "You're surprised?"

"I thought..." Her face flushed bright pink. "I was told that men could only... the once?"

"Just needed a minute," he said, barely pulling out and pushing back in. He wasn't back to full hardness yet, and the mess he had left between her thighs squelched with the short, sharp movement.

But it also made her catch her breath. Her eyes going unfocused for just a second before she blinked and stared at him in surprise.

"Just needed a minute," he said, continuing to grind into her.

"But... you... I thought..." She gasped as he reached between them to flick at her still sensitized pleasure bud.

"Once is never going to be enough, my love," he said, his strokes becoming faster, harder, as his flesh returned to full strength. "Prepare yourself, because it will take me much longer to climax a second time and I am not nearly done with you."

She whimpered at the threat but her thighs clenched around his hips as her pelvis lifted up, giving him a better angle.

Once was never going to be enough.

~~~~~~

Manon had discovered a whole new side to her husband. He apparently had been holding back. Finally consummating their relationship had broken loose an inhibition that she didn't even realize he had been using.

From that day onward, it was anywhere, anytime.

The morning after, he had kissed her before regretfully saying that she was, unfortunately, too sore for him to enjoy her today, but she should prepare herself for tonight. Then, with that salacious promise hanging in the air, he had left her to prepare for the day alone.

Her lady's maids did not bring her silphium tea to prevent pregnancy. Instead, they brought a cream for the soreness between her legs. Nellie, her youngest maid, had been sent to prepare her dress while the older two showed her how to apply it and recommended a tea that was good for relaxing the muscles and easing aches.

It was highly embarrassing, but also very helpful.

Manon's ability to stretch her body, however, apparently applied to any part of her body. The breaching of her maidenhead had been an odd pressure, but it hadn't hurt as she expected. The soreness was mostly from the pounding thrusts that her body was definitely not immune to.

She wouldn't say that she was walking funny, but she was highly aware of each step she took as she made her way to the office where Jacques was already hard at work.

He sent her a knowing smirk, as though he was completely aware of what had taken her so long this morning, but said nothing as he got back to his task.

And, true to his word, when night came around, he took her again.

This time, he had laid back and let her sink onto his length, encouraging her to take her own pleasure and to go as fast as she could. It was his only concession to her soreness and only lasted until his will broke and he held her hips while he thrusted up into her instead.

The next morning, he did not offer the same mercy as the previous morning.

And while they were working alone in their office later that day, he suddenly got up, locked the door, and claimed her against her own desk.

Then again, that night, while eating supper – an activity that had been unsupervised between them since they decided to devote that time only to each other early on in their marriage – he pushed her over the table.

And still that was not enough for him, because he brought her into his arms only an hour or so later when they were getting into bed.

Her husband was insatiable. Merciless. Passionate.

And she couldn't get enough.

Her soreness wasn't allowed to fade. Not with the frequency that he needed her. But no matter how much it ached, she was eager to take him into her body again. Craving that height of pleasure that she had never gotten at her own hands.

And the heir was, honestly, an afterthought.

She knew that she needed to provide this kingdom with a new prince or princess - and with the altered laws they had put in place, a new princess would no longer need to marry to be queen. It was an important duty of hers and one she didn't mind fulfilling. Part of her was even eager for the idea of holding her and Jacques' baby in her arms.

But that wasn't really what joined them together.

When they were with each other, it was like everything else faded away. There were no responsibilities or expectations. No past, no future. They were just two people who enjoyed each other, enjoyed the pleasure they had together. Simple, easy, fun, and absolutely guilt free since, whenever they indulged, no matter when or where, they could justify it by saying they were working hard to make an heir. Really, it would just be irresponsible not to have quick sex in the storage closet.

And with the crossing of that last line, something else had changed in their relationship.

They found themselves reaching for each other all the time. And not just in a sexual way - though that did happen plenty.

No, it was just an unquenchable need to be close.

She stood beside him as he read her something at his desk, and her fingers would begin trailing through his hair. He was talking to someone with her at his side - either with her as part of the conversation or having a separate one of her own - and he would reach out to caress her elbow, her arm, her shoulder. Her eyes would constantly seek him out in a room. Only to find him already looking at her.

Easy, casual affection that warmed her from the inside. A craving that she couldn't deny. A habit that she couldn't imagine breaking though she only had it for a few days.

And when they retired to their room - and after the inevitable round or two of love making - they would just lay together. Holding each other. Whether the sex was passionate, languid, hurried, fun, or desperate, they always held each other afterwards like a child grabbing their favorite stuffed animal and they refused to let go until morning.

And the mornings, like this morning, when he woke her up by slowly kissing every bit of her body he could reach, were her absolute favorite.

She moaned softly, immediately reaching up to run her fingers through his hair as he kissed and nuzzled against her belly.

"It's still dark," she mumbled. "Go back to sleep."

"Not done yet," he said, kissing around her belly button.

"I don't have to be up for hours.."

"Please, don't mind me." He flashed her a devilish grin in the darkness. "Go right back to sleep. I'll just be down here, enjoying myself."

"As if anyone could-" She cut off with a hiss as his finger trailed up the seam of her slit. Petting her without parting her. Teasing.

Like the evil man that he was.

He knew very well she wasn't going to be able to go to sleep with him touching her like that, but he kept telling her it was fine, she should just close her eyes, ignore him. Nothing important happening down there at all.

And he kept up that lie right until his tongue was too busy to speak it.

Manon came apart quickly under his touch and, before she had even recovered, he was climbing over her and pushing his way in. No longer pretending like he wanted her to sleep, he kissed her eagerly as he held her down and claimed his own pleasure in turn.

Afterwards, breathing hard, they lay side by side, their hands clasped together.

"It's the middle of the night," Manon finally managed to bring together enough sense and energy to successfully say. It took a couple tries.

Jacques chuckled and she could practically feel him smirking in the darkness. "I had a dream about you and woke up wanting you."

"Oh, you couldn't sleep, so I couldn't either?" She asked, pretending to be cross.

"I did my very best to make it up to you," he replied solemnly, almost sounding sincere.

The sun was starting to come up, barely illuminating the room through the drapes they hadn't bothered to close last night. If anything, they liked waking with the warmth of the sun on their face and so didn't ask for them to be drawn anymore.

Manon yawned, too easily imagining rolling over and snuggling into Jacques' side and falling right back to sleep.

He gave a regretful look. "We have the presenting of the troops today."

"Yay, ceremony," she mumbled unhappily.

Presenting of the troops was a yearly tradition in Gascony. At least, it had been before the war. After the war, it had been suspended since all available troops were out in said war. But with the changes they had brought to their military, both in appearance and structure, the presentation was even more important this year than in the past.

And neither of them could miss it. Especially not to laze away the morning in bed. No matter how tempting a prospect that might be.

Moreover, they had to be dressed formally for it and that would take over an hour to accomplish. They had to get up now.

They shared a look, however, and neither of them attempted to rise.

Jacques finally did roll over, propping his head up on his elbow, staring down at her. He looked at her seriously for such a long time that she grew concerned. Before she could ask what was wrong, he finally spoke in a soft voice.

"Manon, are you happy here?"

She laughed, startled. "What a question."

He didn't laugh along with her. Her chuckles faded away as she realized he was being completely serious.

"Jacques, where is this coming from?"

"I need to know. I have to be sure."

She scoffed, reaching up to stroke his face. "As if you have to ask.

"I do though. Sometimes..." His voice caught and he shook his head, his eyes closing. "Sometimes, it feels like I stole you away only to put you into danger."

"Danger?"

"The protesters. The attempts on your life. That absolute fool that you spared who dared to throw rotten food at you." The more he spoke, the angrier his voice, the tighter his jaw, became until he was near snarling through clenched teeth.

"We already got a letter from his brother thanking us for his mercy. And he's being punished just like I said he would. It's fine, Jacques."

"That was one incident."

"I'm not afraid," she cut him off before he could even finish speaking. "I'm not unsure. I don't have a single regret. Do I seem unhappy?"

He relaxed a bit. "I could only be seeing what I want to see."

"You think I would lie to you like that?"

"You put up those false pretenses to everyone else."

"Yes. But not to you," she pressed, running her fingers down his chest. "We agreed to be partners. To be friends. I wouldn't lie to you."

"Even though my kingdom treats you so shamefully?"

She shrugged. "I've always liked a challenge."

"But you-"

His voice cut off as a distance hollering started up, barely heard through the glass of their window, but annoyingly familiar. She grimaced, trying to grin, as Jacques sighed, his head falling down onto her shoulder.

The protesters were back.

"I had hoped they would have calmed down. We haven't heard from them in days," he grumbled, glaring at the window as if they could even see them from here.

"They must have figured that the presentation of the troops would be a good opportunity to remind us how much they dislike us." She chuckled, only laughing harder when he fixed her with a wry look for her amusement. "It's not funny, it's just... I don't know."

Sighing, he flopped back flat on the bed, his arm up over his eyes, looking far too sinfully sexy. "Why is he doing this?"

"Hm? Who?" She asked, drinking in the sight of his body, losing track of the conversation completely as she ogled him shamelessly. He was her husband, after all. If she wasn't allowed to admire his beautiful, nude, muscular body, then who?

"Firmin," he growled, a great deal of hatred woven tight through that single name. "What could he possibly be hoping to achieve here?"

Manon thought for a second. An idea came to her, but she didn't want to say it. Didn't want Jacques to become angrier.

But she had just promised that she had never, and would never, lie to him and not confessing felt too much like a lie of omission.

"Do you... Do you think he might be responsible for all the attempts on my life?"

Jacques' head whipped around to stare at her, but she kept her eyes on the ceiling as she continued, following the thought.

"You have to admit, even for someone as hated as me, so many assassination attempts in so short a period of time is unusual. And some of them seem so carefully placed. Even after all our screenings and attempts to root out the disloyal, they keep popping up. Like someone has been purposefully making sure they remain close."

Jacques was snarling again. That idea had clearly never occurred to him. They knew Firmin was after his mother, but they hadn't thought about what else he might be after.

"Does he think of you as his son?" Manon asked, really asking about the tenuous relationship between the two men for the first time.

Jacques scoffed. "I wish I could say no. He doesn't love me, if that's what you're asking. I don't think he's capable of true love. His obsession with my mother is just that: an obsession. I'm a product of that obsession and, to that degree, yes, he considers me his. Just as he would consider a sword his. I was an annoying piece of property to him."

Manon frowned. Coming from two loving, doting, if occasionally suffocating parents, it was odd to her to think of a father not loving his son. Jacques must have seen that on her face because he shook his head and spoke before she could say anything.

"Don't try to attribute normal emotions to Firmin. He feels nothing. He's as blank as a painting. He hurts people because he doesn't care otherwise, he gains power because it makes his life easier, and he obsesses over my mother because he's sick and twisted in the head."

"I'm sorry, Jacques."

"Don't be." He forced a smile that almost immediately turned genuine as he raised a hand and placed it over her flat belly. "You and I are going to make our own family, and we are going to fill it with all the love I never got to experience and you had in abundance."

She smiled sadly. "That almost makes me feel guilty."

"Do not." He kissed her once. Twice. "I'm happy you had such a loving family. It proves to me that it's possible. And my mother may have been mad, but my father, my real father, was a good and loving man and he is the example I will use with our children."

He fixed her with a determined look that made her heart stutter in her chest. "We are building a better world. For our countries. For our children. And our children will be that better future because we are going to love them so much they will overflow with it."

Manon smiled, placing her hand over his, both of them holding onto her belly. It was such a silly thing to say, but she suddenly wanted it with all of her heart.

"Yes, we will," she promised.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 150 28
❝ π‘‘β„Žπ‘’ π‘˜π‘–π‘ π‘  π‘œπ‘“ π‘Žπ‘› π‘Žπ‘›π‘”π‘’π‘™ π‘π‘Žπ‘› 𝑝𝑒𝑑 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 π‘Ž 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 π‘‘π‘œ 𝑠𝑙𝑒𝑒𝑝, π‘“π‘œπ‘Ÿ 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 π‘Ž 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 𝑖𝑠 π‘π‘Žπ‘π‘Žπ‘π‘™π‘’ π‘œπ‘“ 𝑓...
6K 412 16
Fifth in the Paladin's Series: An offer of peace has shocked everyone, but the man to deliver it seems genuine and honest. A good man who follows the...
84.4K 5K 50
| COMPLETED | ~ | Chapters are being Edited | #Wattys2020 ~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~~β€’~~β€’~β€’~~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’ He was a soldier, running towar...
2 0 3
A day like any other, turned to blood and misery in the blink of an eye. The soul devourers had been withheld for thousands of years, the residents b...