The Penny

By RagKee

[On a break] Ryan Trahan has just been spawned in an unknown world by a mysterious being. Armed with a penny... More

Chapter 1: The beginning
Chapter 2: The wish.
Chapter 3: Explanation
Chapter 4: A new world
Chapter 5: The sales pitch
Chapter 6: Jumping Ships
Chapter 8: Cupcakes and Candies
Chapter 9: Small town, Big trouble
Chapter 10: Loophole
Chapter 11: Amature
Chapter 12: A hero.
Chapter 13: Investigation.
Chapter 14: Dinner with Devils
Chapter 15: A glass of wine
Chapter 16: New take
Chapter 17: New job

Chapter 7: Friends and Foes

6 4 0
By RagKee

Haylee was enjoying this day despite being bombarded by customers every few minutes.

"Here's your order!" Haylee said as she placed an old woman's order on the table.

"Thank you, dear," The old woman thanked her.

"You're welcome, Call me if you need anything," Haylee smiled at her before she resumed to the kitchen.

Haylee rested her hands on the counter and sighed, "where are you, Frank?"

"I'm here!" A man exclaimed, "I'm here," He panted.

He looked like he's in his mid-twenties, Tall, not bad looking, his hair was soaked in sweat. He looked like he came out of a sona.

"You're late," She said as she snatched the bag he was holding and placed it on the counter. "What's this?"

"I bought some Doughnuts on my way here," He said wiping his sweat off with a cloth.

"We sell doughnuts," She said annoyed as she unpacked the bags.

"Well, let's treat ourselves with some good ones today," He said.

"Shut up," Haylee said hitting his arm softly.

"Chill, I think I got everything on the list," he said placing a receipt on the counter

"You forgot sprinkles and whipped cream," She said.

"I think I almost got everything," He corrected his sentence.

"This is why I don't trust you with anything," Haylee said irritated. "Here," She handed him an order. "Spiced latte and crimson cupcake for table 4,"

"I just got here," Frank groaned.

"They came here 5 minutes ago, We don't want to keep our customers waiting,"

"B-but,"

"Go, Frank," She practically had to push him to his counter.

"Chop chop," Haylee motivated him.

Frank rolled his eyes.

"Guess what I saw at the store today?" Frank asked getting the utensils together.

"What?" Haylee asked uninterested as she brewed some coffee.

"I saw a guy," Frank said as he picked up the flour. "He legit sat at the candy aisle for 15 minutes with 2 packets of candies in his hand thinking which one he should buy," He said to Haylee laughing his ass off.

Haylee let out a small laugh, "Guess you're not the only man-child in this town,"

"I wouldn't call myself a man child?" He said defensively. "I'm just more..." He trailed off for the right word, "More alive?" He said bending down to get some sugar from the bottom counter.

"Right," Haylee said mocking him while he's not looking.

"I saw that!" He muttered still trying to find the sugar bag. "Where's the sugar?"

"Maybe if you looked closer instead of seeing what I'm doing, you might find it," Haylee commented.

"Oh! Why don't you come and look," Frank said teasingly

"Fine!" Haylee said as she started rambling through the counter.

Frank smirked, "It isn't there, Smartypants, you misplaced it--,"

"Here," She said handing Frank over the bag and resuming to her station.

"--Not so responsible--Oh," Frank paused talking as he noticed the bag in his hands, He smiled sheepishly weighing the sugar bag in his hands.

"Get back to work," Haylee said as she headed out with a tray.

"GeT BaCk to wOrk," Frank mocked Haylee's voice.

"I can still hear you,"

***

Ryan's candy 'business' is fairly successful, He befriended some sweet old ladies and asked them what candies do people like the most, and the answer varied from M&M's to cookies to some unnamed stuff Ryan didn't know about. Ryan saw a group of kids hanging out.

"Would you guys like to buy some candies?" He called out and waved to them.

They looked at each other perplexed.

"Sure?" A kid walked up to him and handed him a 20-dollar bill and takes one candy.

"N-no it's 4 for 25 cents," Ryan said handing the bill back to the kid.

"It's okay," The kid shrugged.

"I-" Ryan was flabbergasted. "Then take some more!"

"Do you guys want some!" He asked his friends and they give a nod.

The kid picked up a few for his friends.

"What's your name?" Ryan asked.

"Quinn," The kid answered stuffing his pocket with candies.

"Thank you, Quinn," Ryan thanked him.

"You're welcome," Quinn said.

"Have a good day," Ryan wished him.

"You too," Quinn said as he joined his friends.

Kids these days do not know the value of money, But Ryan's not complaining, He could use any help he could get. But deep down he knew, he scammed a kid from 20 bucks.

That kid just fulfilled Ryan's target for the day single-handedly.

Ryan felt guilty, so he gave a crying little girl some candy, But her mother didn't understand Ryan's good intention, so he just stared at him until he left her sight. Come on Ryan you can't go around giving kids candy without raising suspicion.

At the end of the day, Ryan raised 38 bucks and 50 cents. It was getting dark so Ryan decided to call it a day, He saw a building that looked like a Motel so he decided to check the prices.

"Howdy," he greeted the front desk

"Good evening," The lady greeted.

"How much is a room typically? For one night?" Ryan inquired.

"90 dollars and 49 cents without tax," She stated.

Ryan's heart stopped when he heard the price. "Alright," he composed himself "I'll be back,"

Looks like he's sleeping on a park bench tonight.

Expance-4300

"I searched this area," Maddie said pointing at a specific area on a hologram map.

"Still no trace of him?" Roger asked.

"No," Maddie said in a low voice.

Roger slouched in his chair sinking his head in his hands. "Okay," He whispered.

Maddie brushed his back trying to comfort him. "He'll be okay," Maddie comforted him.

"I hope so,"

"You're worried sick about him," Maddie commented.

"He's my friend, Maddie, We've been together for as long as I could remember, He helped me with so many things-" Roger paused "I couldn't just sit here waiting for him to come," Roger said. "What if he's in trouble? Trust me he could get in trouble before I could even finish a sandwich with the mouth of his"

Maddie gives out a small chuckle before getting serious. "Do you think he's in trouble?" Maddie asked.

"I don't know, I hope not,"

"We need to explain this to Mark," She said as she placed two fingers on her forehead, "he never stops talking, and it's starting to get on my nerves,"

"Just tell him he's missing?"

"He's not buying it,"

"Is he stupid?" Roger said.

"Looks like Ryan left some unfinished business and Mark's struggling to find a replacement," Maddie explained.

Tsk Roger clicked his tongue.

"Get some rest, Roger," Maddie suggested. "You've been looking for Ryan for the past 3 days, it's about time you start taking care of yourself,"

"You should too, You've been following me for no reason what-so-ever,"

"A friend of yours is a friend of mine," Maddie said. "Take care,"

Roger gives her a faint smile as she leaves.

Authors note:-

Who would like a backstory for Ryan and Roger's friendship? I know I do.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 189 17
Being mesmerize my fairytales, Alison yearns for an enthralling love story, etched in stone as a tale rolling on from one generation to the next. He...
135 22 25
For over a hundred years, humanity has lived in fear of the monsters that roam the streets, lurking in the drains below. Women and their daughters hi...
431 11 30
Nobody expects something supernatural to happen to them. Those kind of things only happened in comics. Fairy Tales. Unrealistic dreams that you'd fal...
81K 6.1K 45
One mistake changes Hannah's life forever, exiling her from her realm and isolating her from the man who loves her. Now, Hannah must find a way to re...