Borrowed Time

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Adeline Steele is forced into a world she knows nothing about. She and her daughter join two brothers on a q... More

Aesthetic and Playlist
October 25, 2005
Season One
01. Pilot
02. Wendigo
03. Dead in the Water
05. Bloody Mary
06. Skin
07. Home
08. Asylum
09. Scarecrow
10. Faith
11. Nightmare
12. Shadow
13. Hell House
14. Something Wicked
15. Dead Man's Blood
16. Salvation
17. Devil's Trap
Season Two
18. In My Time of Dying
19. Everybody Loves a Clown
20. Bloodlust
21. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things
22. Simon Said
23. No Exit
24. The Usual Suspects
25. Crossroad Blues
26. Croatoan
27. Hunted
28. Playthings
29. Nightshifter
30. Houses of the Holy
31. Born Under a Bad Sign
32. Tall Tales
33. Roadkill
34. Heart
35. Hollywood Babylon
36. What Is and What Should Never Be
37. All Hell Breaks Loose (Part One)
38. All Hell Breaks Loose (Part Two)
Season Three
39. The Magnificent Seven
40. The Kids Are Alright
41. Bad Day at Black Rock
42. Sin City
43. Bedtime Stories
44. Red Sky at Morning
45. Fresh Blood
46. A Very Supernatural Christmas
47. Malleus Maleficarum
48. Dream a Little Dream of Me
49. Mystery Spot
50. Jus in Bello
51. Ghostfacers
52. Long Distance Call
53. Time Is on My Side
54. No Rest for the Wicked
Book Two

04. Phantom Traveler

107 4 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

As the door opened, Dean awoke and slipped a hand under his pillow for a weapon. He glanced at Adeline and Eva to see them fast asleep, and angled his body in front of theirs.

He turned to see Sam entering, carrying coffee and pastries.

"Morning, sunshine," Sam greeted. "Adeline, wake up."

"What time is it?" Dean asked groggily.

"Uh, it's about 4:45."

"In the morning?"

"Yep."

Adeline yawned and sat up as she rubbed her eyes and asked, "Sam, you get any sleep?"

Sam nodded. "Yeah, I grabbed a couple hours."

"Liar," Dean said. "'Cause Adeline and I were up at three, and you were watching a George Foreman informercial."

"Hey, what can I say? It's riveting TV."

"When was the last time you got a good night's sleep?"

Sam shrugged. "I don't know, a little while, I guess. It's not a big deal."

"Yeah, it is."

"Look, I appreciate your concern-"

"Oh, I'm not concerned about you. It's your job to keep my as, Adeline's and Anna's alive, so we need you sharp."

Adeline rocked her fussing daughter. "Be honest, are you still having nightmares about Jess?"

Sam crossed the room, sat on the other bed, handed a coffee to Dean and Adeline. "Yeah. But it's not just her. It's everything. I just forgot, you know? This job. Man, it gets to you."

"You can't let it," Dean told him. "You can't bring it home like that."

"So, what? All this it... never keeps you two up at night?"

"Never? You're never afraid?"

"No, not really."

Sam reached under Dean's pillow to pull out a large hunting knife and held it up as evidence.

Dean took the knife back. "That's not fear. That is precaution."

"All right, whatever. I'm too tired to argue."

Dean's phone rang and he answered. "Hello?"

"Dean, it's uh, it's Jerry Panowski. You and your dad helped me out a couple years back."

"Oh, right, yeah. Up in Kittanning, Pennsylvania, the poltergeist thing. It's not back, is it?"

"No. No. Thank God, no. But it's something else, and... uh, I think it could be a lot worse."

"What is it?"

"Can we talk in person?"

Dean eyed Sam and Adeline and they eyed him back.

---

The Impala drove down the road and eventually, they reached the hangar.

Jerry greeted the hunters . "Thanks for making the trip so quick. I ought to be doing you guys a favor, not the other way around. Dean and your dad really helped me out."

"Yeah, he told me," Sam said with a nod. "It was a poltergeist?"

"Poltergeist? Man, I loved that movie," a man stated.

Adeline chuckled softly at the man's comment.

"Hey, nobody's talking to you. Keep walking," Jerry told him. "Damn right it was a poltergeist, practically tore our house apart. Tell you something. If it wasn't for you and your dad, I probably wouldn't be alive. Your dad said you were off at college. Is that right?"

"Yeah, I was. I'm-taking some time off," Sam said.

"Well, he was real proud of you. I could tell. He talked about you all the time."

"He did?"

"You bet he did. Oh, hey, you know I tried to get a hold of him, but I couldn't. How's he doing, anyway?"

"He's, um, wrapped up in a job right now," Dean replied.

"Well, we're missing the old man, but we get Sam and Adeline. Even trade, right?"

Dean laughed as Sam said, "No, not by a long shot."

"I got something I want you guys to hear."

Jerry led them to his office and gestured to the black box. "I listened to this. And, well, it sounded like it was up your alley." He put a CD in a drive. "Normally, I wouldn't have access to this. It's the cockpit voce recorder for United Britannia Flight 2485. It was one of ours."

"Mayday! Mayday! Repeat! 2485-immediate instruction... may be experiencing some mechanical failure..." There was a loud whooshing sound.

"Took off from here, crashed about two hundred miles south. Now, they're saying mechanical failure. Cabin depressurized somehow. Nobody knows why. Over a hundred people on board. Only seven got out alive. Pilot was one. His name is Chuck Lambert. He's a good friend of mine. Chuck is, uh... well, he's pretty broken up about it. Like it was his fault."

"You don't think it was?" Sam asked.

"No, I don't."

Adeline looked up. "Jerry, we're going to need passenger manifests, um, a list of survivors."

Jerry nodded. "All right."

"And, uh, any way we can take a look at the wreckage?"

"The other stuff is no problem. But the wreckage... fellas, lady, the NTSB has it locked down in an evidence warehouse. No way I've got that kind of clearance."

Dean frowned. "No problem."

---

The trio made their way to a Copy Jack. Dean went inside, leaving Adeline, holding Eva, and Sam by the Impala.

Eventually, Dean exited and a pretty woman entered.

"Hey," the woman greeted.

"Hi," Dean replied.

Sam frowned. "You've been in there forever."

Dean held up three IDs. "You can't rush perfection."

Sam and Saoirse looked at the IDs. "Homeland security?" Sam took one and Adeline took another. "That's pretty illegal, even for us."

"Yeah, well, it's something new. You know? People haven't seen it a thousand times."

Adeline met his eyes. "I appreciate this, but I'll be staying outside with my daughter."

Dean nodded. "It's okay, Sam and I can handle the plane."

They got in the car and Dean asked, "All right, so, what do you two got?"

"Well, there's definitely EVP on the cockpit voice recorder," Sam instructed.

"Yeah?"

"Listen." Sam played the tape.

A scratchy voice said, "No survivors!"

""No survivors"?" Dean repeated. "What's that supposed to mean? There were seven survivors."

Adeline shrugged. "Not sure."

"So, what are you two thinking? A haunted flight?"

"There's a long history of spirits and death omens on planes and ships, like phantom travelers," Sam replied.

"Mm-hmm."

"Or remember Flight 401?"

"Right. The one that crashed, the airline that salvaged some of its parts, put it in other plans, then the spirit of the pilot and copilot haunted those flights."

"Right," Sam and Adeline said.

"Yep."

"Maybe we've got a similar deal," Adeline guessed.

Dean glanced at her. "All right, so, survivors, which one do you want to talk to first?"

"Third on the list: Max Jaffey," Sam said.

Dean frowned. "Why him?"

"Well, for one, he's from around here. And two, if anyone saw anything weird, he did."

"What makes you say that?"

"Well, Sam and I spoke to his mother," Adeline replied.

As they reached the Riverfront Psychiatric Hospital, Sam added, "And she told us where to find him."

---

Inside the hospital garden, Max was walking between Sam and Dean and Adeline, holding Eva, was walking behind them.

Max frowned. "I don't understand. I already spoke with Homeland Security."

Dean nodded. "Right. Some new information has come up. So if you could just answer a couple questions..."

"Just before the plan went down, did you notice anything... unusual?" Sam asked.

"Like what?"

"Strange lights, weird noises, maybe. Voices," Adeline said.

"No, nothing."

"Mr. Joffey-" Dean began.

"Jaffey."

"Jaffey. You checked yourself in here, right?" Max nodded. "Can I ask why?"

Max frowned. "I was a little stressed. I survived a plane crash."

"Sure. And that's what you were terrified you? That's what you were afraid of?"

"I... I don't want to talk about this anymore."

Adeline stared at Max. "See, I think you maybe did see something up there. We need to know what."

Max shook his head. "No. No, I was... delusional. Seeing things."

"He was seeing things," Dean repeated.

"It's okay," Sam reassured. "Then just tell us what you thought you saw, please."

"There was... this-man," Max began. "And, uh, he had these... eyes-these, uh... black eyes. And I saw him - or I thought I saw him..."

"What?" Dean pressed.

"He opened the emergency exit. But that's... that's impossible, right? I mean, I looked it up. There's something like two tons of pressure on that door."

"Yeah."

"This man, uh, did he seem to appear and disappear rapidly?" Sam questioned. "It would look something like a mirage?"

"What are you, nuts?" Max shot back as Sam tilted his head. "He was a passenger. He was sitting right in front of me."

The four drove off and pulled up in front of a house.

"So here we are," Sam said. "George Phelps, seat 20C."

"Hmm," Dean hummed. "Man, I don't care how strong you are." The trio exited the car. "Even yoked up on PCP or something, no way you can open up an emergency door during a flight."

"Not if you're human," Sam said. "But maybe this guy George was something else. Some kind of creature, maybe, in human form."

Adeline pointed to the house. "Does that look like a creature's lair to you?"

Sam turned to look at the perfectly ordinary house.

---

Inside the house, Dean, Sam and Adeline, holding her daughter, sat across from Mrs. Phelps.

Sam looked at a framed photograph before asking, "This is your late husband?"

"Yes, that was my George," Mrs. Phelps replied.

"And you said he was a... dentist?" Dean questioned.

"Mm-hm. He was headed to a convention in Denver. Do you know that he was petrified to fly? For him to go like that..."

"How long were you married?" Adeline inquired.

"13 years."

"In all that time, did you ever notice anything... strange about him, anything out of the ordinary?" Sam asked.

"Well... uh, he had acid reflux, if that's what you mean."

The three hunters shared a look.

As they walked down the stairs out front, Sam said, "I mean it goes without saying. It just doesn't make any sense."

"A middle-aged dentist with an ulcer is not exactly evil personified. You know what we need to do is get inside that NTSB warehouse, check out the wreckage."

"Okay. But if we're gonna go that route, we'd better look the part."

---

They made their way to Mort's For Style and the boys purchased black suits with white shirts.

As they exited, Sam adjusted his collar and Dean said, "Man, I look like one of the Blues Brothers."

"No, you don't," Sam replied. "You look more like a... seventh-grader at his first dance."

Dean looked down at himself. "I hate this thing."

"Hey. You want into that warehouse or not?"

Adeline stared at Dean a moment and cleared her throat before saying, "Come on. We're wasting time."

Dean started the Impala, Sam sitting shotgun and Adeline and Eva in back.

---

The boys entered the warehouse and showed their badges to the security guard who nodded and let them in. As they walked among plane wreckage, Dean pulled out a device and put earbuds in.

"What is that?" Sam asked.

"It's an EMF meter," Dean answered. "Reads electromagnetic frequencies."

"Yeah, I know what an EMF meter is, but why does that one look like a busted-up walkman?"

"'Cause that's what I made it out of." He grinned.

"Yeah, I can see that."

Dean's grin disappeared and he ran the EMF meter over a piece of wreckage with yellow dust and got an audible spike. "Check out the emergency door handle."

Dean scratched at the yellow dust and got some on his hand.

"What is this stuff?" Dean asked as he wiped his hand on Sam's suit jacket.

"One way to find out," Sam replied as he scraped some of the yellow dust off into a bag.

They paused, hearing something.

The two of them darted outside. They peered around a corner and walked out casually. An alarm blared and they ran to the gated exit. Dean pulled off his suit jacket and threw it over the barbed wire at the top of the fence and they climbed over.

Dean grabbed the jacket. "Well, these monkey suits do come in handy." He ran off and Sam followed.

---

They made their way to Jerry's office to have him investigate the yellow powder.

"Huh," Jerry noted. "That stuff is covered in sulfur."

"You're sure?" Sam asked.

"Take a look for yourself."

There were banging sounds from outside the office and a man said, "You elfin' piece of crap..."

"If you fellows and lady will excuse me, I have an idiot to fire." Jerry left and Dean and Adeline went to look into the microscope. Sam took Eva from Adeline. "Hey. Einstein. Yeah, you. What the heck are you doing? Put the wrench down-"

"Hmm," Dean hummed. "You know, there's not too many things that leave behind a sulfuric residue."

"Demonic possession?" Sam guessed.

"It would explain how a mortal man would have the strength to open up an emergency hatch."

"If the guy was possessed, it's possible," Adeline said.

"This goes way beyond floating over a bed or barfing pea soup. I mean, it's one thing to possess a person, but to use them to take down an entire airplane?"

"Either of you ever heard of something like this before?" Sam asked.

Dean and Adeline shook their heads. "Never."

---

They made their way back to the motel room to do research. Images and articles were taped to the walls and strewn across the beds. Sam was looking at something on the computer. Dean read something on one bed while sitting on the other. Adeline was changing her daughter.

"So, every religion in every world culture has the concept of demons and demonic possession, right?" Sam said. "I mean, Christian, Native American, Hindu, you name it."

Dean nodded. "Yeah, but none of them describe anything like this."

"Well, that's not exactly true. You see according to Japanese beliefs, certain demons are behind certain disasters, both natural and man-made. One causes earthquakes, another causes diseases."

"And this one causes plane crashes?" Adeline questioned, glancing up.

Dean stood. "All right, so, what? We have a demon that's evolved with the times and found a way to ratchet up the body count?"

"Yeah," Sam confirmed. "You know, who knows how many planes it's brought down before this one?"

Dean snorted and turned away.

"What?" Sam and Adeline asked.

"I don't man, Adeline . This isn't our normal gig. I mean, demons, they don't want anything, just death and destruction for its own sake. This is big. And I wish Dad was here."

"Yeah. Me too," Sam admitted.

Dean's phone rang and he answered. "Hello?"

"Dean, it's Jerry."

"Oh, hey, Jerry."

"My pilot friend... Chuck Lambert is dead."

"Wha-Jerry, I'm sorry. What happened?"

"He and his buddy went up in a small twin about an hour ago. The plane went down."

"Where'd this happen?"

"About sixty miles west of here, near Nazareth."

"I'll try to ignore the irony in that."

"I'm sorry?"

"Nothing. Jerry, hang in there, all right? We'll catch up with you soon." Dean hung up.

"Another crash?" Sam and Adeline asked.

Dean nodded. "Yeah. Let's go."

"Where?"

"Nazareth."

---

The Impala drove past a road sign that read, NAZARETH 3. Black smoke was visible in the distance.

---

In his office, Jerry looked through a microscope.

"Sulfur?" Dean questioned as Jerry nodded. "Well, that's great. All right, that's two plane crashes involving Chuck Lambert. This demon sounds like it was after him."

"With all due respect to Chuck if that's the case, that would be the good news," Sam said.

"What's the bad news?"

"Chuck's plane went down exactly forty minutes into flight. And get this, so did Flight 2485."

"Forty minutes?" Jerry repeated. "What does that mean?"

"It's Biblical numerology," Adeline explained. "Noah's Ark, it rained for forty days. The number means death."

"Any survivors?" Dean asked.

Sam shook his head. "No. Or until now, at least, not until Flight 2485, for some reason. On the cockpit voice recorder, remember what the EVP said?"

""No survivors,"" Dean and Adeline said.

Dean thought for a moment. "It's going after all the survivors. It's trying to finish the job."

---

That night, Dean drove while Sam spoke on the phone.

"Really?" Sam asked. "Well, thank you for taking our survey. And if you do plan to fly, please don't forget your friends at United Britannia Airlines. Thanks." He hung up. "All right. That takes care of Blaine Sanderson and Dennis Holloway. They're not flying anytime soon."

Dean frowned. "So our only wildcard is the flight attendant Amanda Walker."

"Right. Her sister Karen said her flight leaves Indianapolis at 8 PM. It's her first night back on the job."

"That sounds like just our luck."

Sam looked at his brother. "Dean, this is a five-hour drive, man, even with you behind the wheel."

Adeline leaned forward. "Call Amanda's cell again, see if we can't head her off at the pass."

Sam glanced back at her. "I already left three voice messages. She must have turned her cell phone off. God, we're never gonna make it."

"We'll make it," Dean said as he accelerated.

----

They reached the airport and rushed inside to check the Departure board.

Sam found the flight and pointed to it. "Right there. They're boarding in 30 minutes."

Dean picked up a courtesy phone and a voice said, "Airport security."

"Hi," Dean said. "Gate 13."

"Who are you calling, sir?"

"I'm trying to contact an Amanda Walker. She's a flight attendant on Flight, um... Flight 424."

At Gate 13, the PA said, "Amanda Walker, Amanda Walker, you have a phone call. White courtesy phone, Gate 13."

Amanda approached the gate, hearing the announcement and picked up the phone.

"Come on," Dean muttered.

"This is Amanda Walker."

"Miss Walker. Hi, this is Dr. James Hetfield from St. Francis Memorial Hospital. We have a Karen Walker here."

"Karen?"

"Nothing serious, just a minor car accident, but she was injured, so-"

"Wa-wait, that's impossible. I just got off the phone with her."

Dean paused. "You what?"

"Five minutes ago. She's at her house, cramming for a final. Who is this?"

"Uh, well... there must be some mistake."

"And how would you even know I was here?"

Sam and Adeline, holding Eva, went around Dean to try to hear what was going on.

"Is this one of Vince's friends?"

Dean smiled awkwardly. "Guilty as charged."

"Wow. This is unbelievable."

"He's really sorry."

"Well, you tell him to mind his own business and stay out of my life, okay?"

"Yes, but... he really needs to see you tonight, so-"

"No, I'm sorry. It's too late."

"Don't be like that. Come on. The guy's a mess. Really. It's pathetic."

"Really?"

"Oh, yeah."

"Look, I've got to go. Um... tell him to call me when I land." She hung up.

"No, no. Wait, Amanda. Amanda!"

Dean hung the phone up and cried, "Damn it! So close."

"All right, it's time for plan B," Sam said. "We're getting on that plane."

Dean said, "Whoa, whoa, now just hold on a second."

Adeline frowned. "Sam, with a baby flying won't be fun. Not that this would be anyway given what we know."

Sam looked at his brother and Adeline, the former of whom had wide eyes. "Dean, that plane is leaving with over a hundred passengers on board, and if we're right, that plane is gonna crash."

"I know," Dean replied.

"Okay. So we're getting on that plane, we need to find that demon and exorcise it. I'll get the tickets. You two get whatever you can out of the trunk. Whatever that will make it through the security. Meet me back here in five minutes." Dean looked at him anxiously. "Are you okay?"

"No, not really."

"What? What's wrong?"

"Well, I kind of have this problem with, uh..." He made the motion with a hand.

"Flying?"

"It's never really been an issue until now."

"You're joking, right?"

"Does I look like I'm joking? Why do you think I drive everywhere, Sam?"

Sam looked between them. "All right. Uh, I'll go."

"What?" Dean asked.

"I'll do this one on my own."

Dean frowned. "What are you, nuts? You said it yourself, the plane's gonna crash."

"Dean, Adeline, we can do it together, or I can do this one by myself. I'm not seeing a third option, here."

"Come on! Really? Man..."

Adeline gave Dean a small smile. "Let's just focus on killing that demon."

They boarded the plane and Dean was in the aisle seat. Adeline was in the window seat with her daughter on her lap and Sam was in the middle. Dean anxiously read the safety card.

"Just try to relax," Sam told his brother.

"Just try to shut up," Dean shot back.

The plane took off with Dean jumping at every rumble and sound and Sam smirked. Eva screamed at the sudden drop in pressure and Adeline consoled her as best a she could.

Dean leaned back and hummed to himself. Sam glanced at him. "You're humming Metallica?"

"Calms me down," Dean said.

"Look, man, I get you're nervous, all right? But you got to stay focused."

Dean nodded. "Okay."

"I mean, we got 32 minutes and counting to track this thing down, or whoever it's possessing, anyway, and perform a full-on exorcism."

"Yeah, on a crowded plane," Dean muttered. "That's gonna be easy."

"Just take it one step at a time, all right? Now, who is it possessing?"

Adeline glanced around as she said, "It's usually gonna be somebody with some sort of weakness, like a chink in the armor that the demon can snake through. Someone with an addiction or some sort of emotional distress."

"Well, this is Amanda's first flight after the crash. If I were here, I'd be pretty messed up."

"Mm-hmm."

Dean turned to a flight attendant. "Excuse me. Are you Amanda?"

"No, I'm not," the flight attendant replied.

"Oh, my mistake."

"Mm-hmm."

Dean looked to the back of the plane at Amanda. "All right, well, that's got to be Amanda back there, so I'll go talk to her, and, uh, I'll get a read on her mental state."

"What if she's already possessed?" Sam asked.

"There's ways to test that," Dean went into his bag and came out with a Virgin Mary-shaped bottle of water. "I brought holy water."

"No." Sam snatched the bottle and stuck it inside his hoodie. "I think we can go more subtle. If she's possessed, she'll flinch at the name of God."

"Oh. Nice." He turned to go.

"Hey."

Dean turned. "What?"

"Say it in Latin."

"I know." He left again

"Okay. Hey!"

"What?!"

"Uh, in Latin, it's "Christo"."

"Dude, I know! I'm not an idiot!" Dean made his way to the back of the plane and thumped a seat once after the plane shook.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your first officer speaking..." the copilot began.

Amanda was fussing with the drink cart and napkins.

"Hi," Dean greeted.

Amanda looked up and smiled. "Hi. Can I help you with something?"

"Oh, no. I'm a a bit of an uneasy flier. It makes me feel better to walk around a little bit."

"Oh, it happens to the best of us."

"Of course, you being a stewardess, I guess flying comes easy to you."

Amanda laughed. "You'd be surprised."

"Really? You're a nervous flier?"

"Yeah, maybe a little bit."

"How is it that, being a stewardess, you're scared to fly?"

"Kind of a long story."

"Right. I'm sorry for asking."

"It's okay."

"You ever consider other employment?"

"No. Look, everybody's scared of something. I just, uh... I'm not gonna let it hold me back."

"Huh."

"So..."

Dean quietly said, "Christo."

Amanda frowned. "I'm sorry. Did you say something?"

Dean hesitated. "Christo?"

"I-I don't, I didn't..."

"Yeah, nothing," Dean said. "Never mind."

Dean returned to his seat.

"Okay," Amanda mumbled.

As Dean sat in his seat, he said, "All right, well, she's got to be the most-well adjusted person on the planet."

"You said "Christo"?" Sam asked.

Dean nodded. "Yeah."

"And?"

"There's no demon in her. There's no demon getting in her."

"So, if it's on the plan, it can be anyone. Anywhere."

The plane shook and Adeline held her daughter a little tighter.

"Come on!" Dean cried. "That can't be normal!"

"Hey, hey, it's just a little turbulence," Sam reassured.

"Sam, this plane is going to crash, okay? So quit treating me like I'm friggin' four!"

Sam glanced at him. "You need to calm down."

"Well, I'm sorry I can't."

"Yes, you can."

Dean glared. "Dude, stow the touchy-feely, self-help yoga crap, it's not helping."

"Listen, if you're panicked, you're wide open to demonic possession, so you need to calm yourself down. Right now."

Dean took a long, slow breath.

"Good," Sam said, satisfied. "Now, I found an exorcism in here that I think is gonna work. The Rituale Romanum."

"What do we have to do?" Dean asked.

"It's two parts. The first part expels the demon from the victim's body. It makes it manifest, which actually makes it more powerful."

"More powerful?" Adeline asked.

"Yeah."

"How?"

"Well, it doesn't need to possess someone anymore. It can just wreak havoc on its own."

"And why is that a good thing?"

"Well, because the second part sends the bastard back to Hell once and for all."

"First things first, we got to find it," Dean said.

Dean walked slowly up the aisle with his EMF meter, getting odd looks but no readings. Adeline remained in her seat with Eva. Sam clapped his brother on the shoulder and he jumped.

"Ah!" Dean exclaimed. "Don't do that."

"Anything?"

Dean shook his head. "No, nothing. How much time we got?"

"15 minutes. Maybe we missed somebody."

"Maybe the thing's just not on the plane."

Sam glanced at her. "You believe that?"

"I will if you will."

Dean looked down as the EMF meter spiked. The copilot exited the bathroom and headed towards the cockpit.

"What? What is it?" Sam asked.

"Christo," Dean said.

The copilot shuddered and slowly turned to face them. His eyes were black. He entered the cockpit and Dean looked at Sam.

The two headed to the back of the plane towards Amanda.

"She's not gonna believe this," Sam told his brother.

"12 minutes, dude," Dean warned.

Amanda smiled. "Oh, hi. Flight's not too bumpy for you, I hope."

Dean smiled tightly before saying, "Actually, that's sort of what we need to talk to you about."

Sam closed the curtain and Amanda frowned. "Um, okay. What can I do for you?"

"All right, this is gonna sound nuts, but we just don't have time for the whole "the truth is out there" speech right now."

Sam got straight to business. "All right, look, we know you were on Flight 2485."

Amanda's smile disappeared. "Who are you guys?"

"Now, we've spoken to some of the other survivors. We know something brought down that plane and it wasn't a mechanical failure."

"We need your help because we need to stop it from happening again," Dean told her. "Here. Now."

"I'm sorry, I-I'm very busy. I have to go back-"

Amanda tried to brush past Dean, who stopped her and said, "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Wait a second. I'm not gonna hurt you, okay? But listen to me, uh... The pilot in 2485, Chuck Lambert. He's dead."

"Wait. What? What, Chuck is dead?"

"He died in a plane crash. Now, that's two plane crashes in two months. That doesn't strike you as strange?"

"I-"

Sam cut her off. "Look, there was something wrong with 2485. Now maybe you sensed it, maybe you didn't. But there's something wrong with this flight, too."

Seeing her hesitation, Dean said, "Amanda, you need to believe us."

Amanda looked at him and nodded. "On... on 2485, there was this man. He... had these eyes."

"Yes. That's exactly what we're talking about," Sam told her.

"I don't understand, what are you asking me to do?"

"Okay," Dean replied. "The copilot, we need you to bring him back here."

"Why? What does he have to do with anything?"

"Don't have time to explain. We just need to talk to him. Okay?"

"How am I supposed to go in the cockpit and get the copilot-"

"Do whatever it takes," Sam interrupted. "Tell him there's something broken back here, whatever will get him out of that cockpit."

"Do you know that I could lose my job if you-"

"Okay, well you're gonna lose a lot more if you don't help us out," Dean said in a desperate tone.

Amanda hesitated. "Okay." She left and went to the cockpit.

Sam pulled out the holy water. Dean pulled out John's journal and handed it to Sam, who opened it.

"Yeah, what's the problem?" the copilot asked.

Dean punched him in the face, knocking him down. He pinned the copilot to the ground and put duct tape over his mouth.

"Wait. What are you doing?" Amanda asked. "You said you were just gonna talk to him."

"We are gonna talk to him," Dean replied as he splashed holy water on his skin, which sizzled.

"Oh, my God. What's wrong with him?"

"Look, we need you calm. We need you outside the curtain," Sam told her.

"Well, I don't understand-I don't know-"

"Don't let anybody in, okay? Can you do that? Can you do that? Amanda?"

She nodded. "Okay. Okay." She left.

"Hurry up, Sam," Dean said. "I don't know how much longer I can hold him."

Sam began the exorcism. "Regina terra, cantante Deo, psalite Domino-"

The demon broke free and hit them until Dean managed to subdue him again. Sam picked up where he left off. The demon knocked Dean off again and pulled the tape off his mouth. He grabbed Sam by the collar.

"I know what happened to your girlfriend!" the demon taunted. "She must have died screaming! Even now, she's burning!"

Dean recovered and hit the demon as Sam sat there, stunned.

"Sam!" Dean called.

Sam recovered and began reading again. He put the book down and helped Dean pin down the demon, who kicked the book up the aisle.

"I got him," Sam told his brother.

The demon exited the copilot's body and disappeared into a vent.

"Where'd it go?" Sam wondered.

"In the plane!" Dean yelled. "Hurry up. We got to finish it."

The plane suddenly dipped and tugged violently. Sam struggled to grab the book as Dean splayed himself against the exit door and the wall, screaming. Adeline closed her eyes and held a shrieking Eva tighter.

Sam managed to grab the book and read the rest of the exorcism. A bright electrical charge ran through the entire plane, then leveled out.

Various people asked if everyone was okay. Amanda let out a relieved sigh. Dean came out from behind the curtain. Sam stood next to him.

They got off the plane. The copilot was being investigated by an FAA agent and Amanda was being questioned by another agent.

She glanced to the trio who were standing across the way and mouthed, "Thank you." The trio nodded.

"Let's get out of here," Dean suggested.

The three of them headed for the exit and Dean and Adeline asked, "You okay?"

Sam stopped and turned. "Dean, Adeline, it knew about Jessica."

"Sam, these things, they, they read minds. They lie. All right? That's all it was," Dean said.

"Yeah."

"Come on."

At the airport, Jerry said, "Nobody knows what you guys and girl did, but I do. A lot of people could have been killed." He shook his head. "Your dad's gonna be real proud."

"We'll see you around, Jerry," Dean replied as he began to walk away before stopping. "You know, Jerry."

"Yeah."

"I meant to ask you, how did you get my cell phone number, anyway? I've only had it for like six months."

"Your dad gave it to me."

"What?" Sam asked.

"When did you talk to him?" Dean wondered.

"I mean, I didn't exactly talk to him, but I called his number," Jerry said. "His voice message said to give you a call. Thanks again, guys." He left.

As they sat at the airport access, Sam frowned. "This doesn't make any sense man, Adeline. I've called Dad's number like 50 times. It's been out of service."

Dean dialed a number. As the voice message began, he turned it so Sam and Saoirse could hear as well.

"This is John Winchester. I can't be reached. If this is an emergency, call my son, Dean. 785-555-0179. He can help."

Sam fumed and got in the car. Dean and Adeline followed and they drove off.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 137 53
Good and evil, two sides of the same coin. Two brothers, two angels, two demons. A chance to fall and to rise. War is coming and it's coming fast...
2.1K 78 26
"Find Ella McKinney." That's all his father had said. And Dean Winchester had no idea where to start. But when she shows up at a mutual hunter's hous...
19.5K 386 21
Dean rescues 5 year old Hayden from her abusive family and takes her under his wing. After recruiting his brother, Sam to find their father, the two...
13K 458 107
Everything Zach knew changed when he was just a toddler. Life became a lot scarier, and a lot harder. Now he and his brothers are on a quest to find...