The Boy Who Cried Wolf

By smileall_days

Teddy doesn't know much outside of the small town where he lives. He goes for walks in the forest, he goes to... More

Way Down
Mystery Train
A Little Less Conversation
Suspicious Minds
Dressin up
Walking There
Across the Room
Love at First Sight
Dancing in the Moonlight
Vengeance
Past
If I Can Dream
Can't Help Believin'
Don't You Mess Around With Me
Heartbreak Hotel
Always On My Mind
Moody Blue
All Shook Up
Bossa Nova Baby
Follow That Dream
Big Boss Man
Trespasser
Night Terrors
The Wolf
Punishment
In My Dreams
Getting There
Strange
The Inn
Onward
School

Getting On

262 15 5
By smileall_days

         He's terrified of me. Elijah's wolf whined. He's going to hate me. 

       It was painful to see, but Elijah's wolf was already linked to the boy so he laid back down staring ahead at the tower above the grey stone building with ivy growing up the sides. It had been a warm night, but a slight chill had fallen in the air. It didn't matter, though, as werewolves didn't really feel the cold like other animals would. 

         After Elijah had drifted off Daniel, in his wolf form, made his way out to the sleeping alpha. It wasn't safe for someone with enemies like Elijah had to be out in the open. Perhaps the alpha would have realized he was there, but Daniel wagered the man's head was filled with dreams of a mate. Daniel already had his mate, a human as well, so he was a good person to travel with the group, Anna was just one of the only people who could calm Elijah down which made her just as useful. Daniel respected Elijah, he didn't think the guy was ready to be Alpha, but he respected him anyway. 

          The sky began to see he brief lights of morning and Daniel used his snout to gently shake Elijah awake, but was met with a harsh growl. Daniel shook his heavy wolf's head, gesturing to the sun which began to break the barrier of the horizon, and begrudgingly Elijah awoke. The two boys trotted off into the forest and came back a moment later as two tall humans. 

        "We should go see Teddy." Elijah stated. 

        "He's probably still asleep," Daniel checked his watch, "Give him a few minutes." 

         "Where's Anna?" 

        "I believe she's still asleep, Alpha." Daniel shrugged. 

       "How'd you know where I'd be?" Elijah asked as they made their way out of the forest and back into the little village once again. 

        "I have a mate." Daniel shrugged. "I knew where you'd want to be and I went there. Just close enough to see, but not close enough to be seen."

     "He saw me." Elijah argued. 

     "Are you sure? You're awfully far for a human. Maybe it just-"

    "He saw me... he saw me and slammed the window. He's afraid of me." Elijah stated firmly.

    "Come on, let's go make sure that Anna's awake." 

     Dorothea was absent from the lobby of the inn when Daniel and Elijah arrived there. Daniel assumed she must have not gotten in for the morning yet. Anna was already on her way down the stairs when they got there. 

     "Thank the moon," Anna exclaimed when they arrived. "I thought you two were going off to get into trouble."

       "Us?" Daniel smiled. "Trouble? Never." 

       "We should try to establish a friendship with Teddy," Anna suggested. 

       "Why?"

       "So we can ease him into everything." Daniel answered. "Do you think it's late enough to go out to the church?"

        Anna checked her watch, "I don't see why not. Humans have their services in the mornings, if I'm remembering correctly." 

        Elijah was out the door as soon as he was given the go ahead and Anna and Daniel shared a knowing look. Outside the inn the sky was beginning to fade to a daytime light blue, and the village seemed to be coming alone. Smoke drifted into the air again and shopkeepers began unlocking the doors and waving to their neighbors. 

        When they'd arrived it'd been later and this was the most people the wolves had come into contact with. Despite the urge to blend in, their height and aura set them apart earning them stares from the many villagers. Anna attempted to wave to a nearby shopkeeper; the man slowly waved, his eyes betraying fear and distrust. It wasn't ideal, but they weren't there to make peace between the villagers and the nearby wolves. 

           Elijah ignored the stares and walked on anyway, so the other two wolves followed his lead. Wolves were frightening to humans and there was nothing that they could really do about that. When the group reached the group Elijah went to walk right through the gate, and had to be pulled back by a disgruntled Daniel.

         Elijah growled sharply and Daniel yelped and let go of his jacket. Anna pointed quickly, ignoring Elijah's glare, to a man with grey hair in a black dress shirt that had a white square in the center of the high collar. He'd come out of a different building in the churchyard than Teddy had gone into, but he seemed to belong. Teddy rushed behind him, clutching a black briefcase to his chest. The man looked a bit distracted as he walked.  

        "That was a very good homily, Father," The wolves advanced hearing allowed them to hear Teddy greet the man cheerfully. "Very insightful."

        "Sure, Theodore." The man's gruff voice grumbled. "I've got a meeting in town, while I'm out would you go on rake some of these dammed leaves?"

         "Of course, Father," Teddy nodded, handing the man his briefcase. 

      "And Theodore." Fr. Charles looked at the sky with a defined frown. "Be careful. Sister Matilda is just inside if you need anything."

      "Thank you Father." The man, now armed with his equipment, walked out of the gate, causing the wolves to scurry back so he wouldn't see, and then made his way into the center of town, where they practically already were.

        Once the man was gone Teddy walked out into the open yard. He scattered a few seeds to the chickens by the barn, and gave one of the horses an apple that had fallen to the ground beneath a tree. Then he went into the barn once again, and through the door the group could see Teddy struggle to reach a rake hung high up on the wall. He jumped twice but found he couldn't reach it. 

         "Go." Daniel mouthed after bumping Elijah's shoulders. "Help him."

       The Alpha stood and walked over to the boy. Teddy stood for a moment scratching his chin trying to see how he could get up there. With a quick held breath Elijah reached up and took the rake off the wall. Teddy's breath hitched as he was startled by the movement. 

        "Thank you." Teddy's face flushed red as he turned to see the man. Elijah thought about responding, but instead just handed Teddy the rake. Inside his heart melted at the pink on Teddy's cheeks from the kindness of such a little action. 

        Elijah stood for a moment wondering what he should say, but wasn't sure what he could say. "How're the horses?" his low voice asked gruffly. 

       "Oh! They're alright." Teddy gestured inside the barn where the three horses stood together happy as could be. "I would hope I couldn't mess things up that quickly. 

        "That's good." Elijah stated. Teddy shuffled under Elijah's strong gaze, it wasn't uncomfortable, but Teddy wasn't sure how to respond to it. He already got the impression that Elijah must be annoyed with him, especially for needing help with something so simple. 

        "Well I should get back to raking." Teddy nodded and made his way out to the path. Elijah followed helplessly like a puppy wondering how he could start up the conversation again. His eyes met Daniel and Anna hiding behind a bush across the street. Anna dramatically gestured to the rake telling him to take it. 

        "I can do that.." Elijah cleared his throat. "If you want."

       "No. I can't ask you to do that." Teddy smiled gratefully. Elijah shrugged and looked back to Anna who rolled her eyes. 

        "Uh.." Elijah's voice broke, and he coughed. "I insist, you're keeping our horses, so it's the least I can do." 

        "No, that's alright." Teddy continued as he was, as if nothing had happened. Elijah was not used to hearing no and his competitive nature began to bubble in him. "I'm perfectly capable."

       "Just let me do it. You shouldn't have to-" He repeated lowly, putting his hand on the rake. Teddy tried to shake the hand away, but Elijah was too stubborn. "I got the rake down, so..."

     "It's really-" Teddy began, but Elijah clutched the rake still tighter, and Teddy frowned. "Okay. If you want to rake that badly, I won't stop you."

      "Thank you." Elijah nodded finally, and began raking the path. Teddy stood for a moment watching him, then went into the barn and came out with a broom. He then began sweeping the leaves away; it was less effective, but worked nonetheless. "I'm meant to be doing it."

        "Actually, I'm meant to be doing it." Teddy smirked. 

     "But..."

     "I can't let you work alone." Teddy smiled. Elijah was glad to have the comfort, Teddy quickly becoming like his safe space and a calming presence in his life. 

          The silence was nice to Elijah; wolves were rather loud, and Teddy seemed perfectly content to allow the silence to lay over them like an easy haze. It was something he shared with Elijah, as Elijah was never very fond of talking. 

       "So.. are you parents around?" Elijah asked after a moment. He hated to break the silence, but his wolf longed to know more about his mate. Of course, he knew that Teddy's father had gone out that morning, but he hoped Teddy would feel comfortable enough to tell him himself.

        "No... Um.. I'm an orphan."

       "You are?" Elijah stopped raking for a moment. 

       "Yes."

       "But.. well.." Elijah thought of a way he could say he knew about the man from before without showing he was watching. "I thought I saw a man walking away from here when I was coming from the inn." 

        "Oh that's just Fr. Charles." 

        "And... father Charles isn't your father?" Elijah's brow furrowed. 

        "No!" Teddy chuckled. "He's a priest! A.. well he's celibate, you know."

        "Celibate?"

        "Chaste? Clean?" Teddy smiled a little crooked smile. "Geez, I'd think you'd never been to church before." 

        "I haven't." Elijah shrugged and Teddy paused. 

        "You...? I, Well-" He looked off down in the direction Fr. Charles had gone. "I never....Where did you say you came from?"

         "I didn't." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.2K 1K 24
Branson Williams, it's his last year in school, and he finds out who his mate is this year. He is openly gay, so he's not surprised when his mate tur...
4.8M 167K 32
{BOOK ONE IN: The Alpha's Trilogy} I'd never seen eyes quite like his. It's like they looked right into my soul. I could feel my body tensing as he...
342K 16.7K 58
(Completed MXM) In a kingdom of wolves, a prince dwells with an unappealing attitude and a way of distancing himself from anything that deals with 'l...
202K 7.7K 40
Zak, a twenty year old boy, is forced to move out of his childhood home after his mother remarries. He moves to an unknown village, isolated from the...