catgirl ! crushed (nightwing)...

By lucyluhvs

3rd book in the main catgirl series ─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─── summary: After things g... More

«intro»
«prologue»
«chapter one: a new team»
«chapter two: run-ins and rescues»
«chapter three: keeping the peace»
«chapter four: santa prisca»
«chapter five: companions»
«chapter six: shadows»
«chapter seven: questions»
«chapter eight: friends»
«chapter nine: trust»
«chapter ten: the circus»
«chapter eleven: what now»
«chapter twelve: the past»
«chapter thirteen: the team»
«chapter fourteen: thanksgiving»
«chapter fifteen: bad ideas»
«chapter sixteen: brooke's plan»
«chapter seventeen: meta-brawl»
«chapter eighteen: anti-life equation»
«chapter nineteen: family annoyances»
«chapter twenty: getting under someone's skin»
«chapter twenty-one: memories»
«chapter twenty-two: anti-life»
«chapter twenty-three: bedlam»
«chapter twenty-four: revision»
«chapter twenty-five: starting over»
«chapter twenty-six: a celebration»
«chapter twenty-seven: more problems»
«chapter twenty-eight: one of ours»
«chapter thirty: complications»
«chapter thirty-one: game night»
«chapter thirty-two: rescue and search»
«chapter thirty-three: date night?»
«chapter thirty-four: ego and superego»
«chapter thirty-five: zenith and abyss»
«chapter thirty-six: over and out»
«chapter thirty-seven: back in gotham»
«chapter thirty-eight: consequences»
«chapter thirty-nine: waking up»
«chapter forty: making moves»
«chapter forty-one: getting him back»
«chapter forty-two: going after him»
«chapter forty-three: empty threats»
«chapter forty-four: slipping away»

«chapter twenty-nine: a caged cat sings»

894 37 87
By lucyluhvs

___________________

___________________

BROOKLYN'S POV

"You are staying out of it," Cheshire says, putting her mask into place as we get close.

"Like hell-"

"Artemis will never forgive me if I take you in there," She stops me, her tone hard, "I wouldn't forgive myself. You stay out here. If we need you then you can help."

"You wouldn't call me even if you did," I counter, crossing my arms.

She studies me for a moment before squaring her shoulders, as if she were readying for a battle, "I would. I have faith in you. But the fact that they call you the 'Queen of the Shadows' is enough for Slade and Shiva to do everything they can to kill you."

My eyes narrow on her, pure hate at the situation thrumming in my veins as I say, "Go. If Oracle doesn't update me then I am going in."

If she doesn't kill me when she finds out where I am first. I had neglected to tell both Artemis and her.

The truth is, I would be in there fighting until my dying breath for Cass, for any of them, if they hadn't stopped me. If they hadn't talked at least a little sense.

Because Brooklyn Travis is already being hunted. I don't need Shadowcat being hunted too. I don't need to worry even more about everyone around me. And Slade would know where to press, he would know where to strike to hurt me the most.

Shiva got pretty damn close with Cass. It's not a secret that I have an especially soft spot for any of the Batbrats.

My eyes follow her as she soundlessly leaps out of the boat and makes her away up the shore.

I take a deep breath and duck down, switching my contacts back on, letting Barbara see that I am online, and where I am.

'You did not,' I hear her hiss out, imagining her rubbing her hands over her face. 'He is going to kill me. Right after I kill you for this.'

"He doesn't have to know. He knows about Cass being abducted, but I was never here. I will say Catwoman needed my help," I promise her before my voice drops lower, "But we both know that I can't walk away from this."

Not after what they put her through. She needs to know we are still with her, she needs to know that while I am not always around now, that I would risk my life for her because I care about her that much. She needs to know she has a family.

'I know.' Her voice sounded defended as she says it before she asks, 'What is the plan? If they see you-'

"I will only reveal myself if they need help. I'm staying outside while Cheshire follows them in," I reassure her. "I wouldn't mind taking out some assassins while I wait though."

And with that, I move up higher, taking down the surprisingly few assassins on the outside with Barbara's help.

The rest of the time is spent with getting small
updates from her about the others and her trying to talk me out of barging in there myself.

I huff and lean against the wall, twirling a knife, getting a little bored.

Suddenly a shadow appears, reminding me so much of Lily's I realize with a dull pain in my chest, before they tumble through; Onxy, Orphan, Cheshire, and Tigress. Tigress who is bleeding from a sword imbedded in her thigh.

My blood runs cold, but I don't have time to move before two other people come through, only to be sliced down by Lady Shiva, blood splattering on her face and clothes from it.

She takes in Shade and how they got out free. Cheshire filled me in that she had needed a favor from him, I guess this was it.

"You dare betray me?" Lady Shiva screams, her tone full of rage as her chest heaves.

Before I can stop myself, I move to get to higher grounds, over them so that I can drop down if I need to.

"I owed Cheshire a debt. She and I are now even." He says evenly.

"Agreed." She nods all of them having there weapons drawn and ready.

"Well, we are not even," Shiva spats at the man, anger flowing in her eyes.

"No. Which is why I hereby tender my resignation to the League of Shadows," He tips his hat to her mockingly, "From this point forward, the Shade is strictly freelance."

She lets out a growl and throws multiple ninja stars at him, him retreating into the shades before any of them land true.

Sphere comes out of nowhere, shooting at her, making her step back.

"The New Genesphere has you in her sights, Shiva. Do not move." Artemis says, her eyes narrowing as Onyx holds her up.

My eyes narrow at the wound and I can't stop myself from dropping down, landing in between her and my team, my claws already out.

Her jaw clenches, from not realizing I was watching, not picking up that I was spying on her, or from seeing me at all I, I don't know.
But I do know that I had just made her ten times madder.

Good. I was mad too.

"Onyx, Orphan," I say, without looking back, my body relaxed as I take in Shiva. "Get Tigress aboard and dress her wound. Keep the pressure on."

"You are breaking the rule," She hisses at me, her sword moving to a ready position.

I keep any tension out of my shoulders, out of my face as I say, "You took Orphan. That's off limits."

"She is my daughter!" She nearly growls, "Not yours."

"I didn't see you claiming her before this," I retort calmly. Or acting like a mother at all. "The way I see it," I continue, "Is that we have two options. One, we both forgive this incident." I explain. "And two," I pause, looking at her hard, "We fight our way out. And I assure you, the first one is a better option considering the odds."

Her eyes slide to the other four people behind me, not counting Sphere. Even with Tigress down, she can still aim.

Her cool eyes move back to me and I have to stop from a shudder going through my body. It took me years to be able to stare her down, to prove that I wasn't scared of her, to challenge her. I wouldn't bow now.

"I admit I cannot prevent your escape." She mutters, "And I will even cede Cheshire and Onyx's departure as well as your own-," Wise. Because I'm not in the best mood, "-despite their crimes, your crimes, against the shadows. But I must insist you leave my daughter behind."

At the words, my hand finds the pocket I never use, never open, "Not going to happen." I hiss, and with a flick of my wrist, one of my katana blades snaps into place.

"My shadows are everywhere." She shouts, "You know this, Cassandra," She looks to her daughter, "They watch your friends, your comrades. Stay with me, daughter, else my Shadows shall hunt down every one you care about." She promises, and I feel like someone punched me in the gut at the words.

Because I remember a time when those same words were spoken to me, when they could have described my situation perfectly.

My jaw clenches. I will not let her have that hold over Cass.

"That's a poor bluff, Shiva," Cheshire snaps.

"And with one word from me," Shiva continues her eyes wide, "your friend Barbara Gordon will be dead before you return to Gotham."

I don't have to turn to see her jump off, I know what Barbara means to her. Which is why I run at Shiva too, our blades shining in the moonlight.

"Orphan, no!" I hear Artemis shout.

"Let her finish it, Sis. It's better for all of us, believe me."

"No! We don't turn kids into killers!" She snaps just as my blade hits Orphans, making her halt.

But only for a second.

I turn, just narrowly missing Shiva's blade before I twist mine, hitting hers enough that she is knocked back. It's only then that Artemis realizes why I wouldn't move from the middle. To save Cass from making a mistake she can't take back.

"Orphan," I say calmly, trying to keep them both at bay as I swing at her again, stopping her advance to her mother.

"Orphan, stop. This isn't what you want. Please, Cassandra, you're free now," Artemis shouts from Sphere seeing as I can't speak anymore. I dodge and flip over Shiva, kicking Cass in the process to gain more distance. "You don't have to be the weapon your mother tried to create."

Lady Shiva grunts as I kick her, hard enough for blood to start trickling down her nose before I turn and ram the butt of my sword into her stomach. She stumbles, but I fail to see Cass coming. She kicks at me, and I know anger is clouding her mind, so I kick back, dropping low before I feel a sting in my arm.

I hiss and stumble back as Shiva manages to cut me, but not bad enough for me to worry. Not when Cass took the chance to advance on her mother and thrust her sword through her chest.

My breathing hitches, my muscles locking up at the sight, and it takes everything in me to push down the dream that haunted me. I shake my head to clear it, grounding myself.

The sand under me, the stars over me, the pain in my arm, the people around me, people that desperately need my help, the scent of blood and sea mix together.

My breathing slows as I gently mutter, "Cass," Her eyes clear slightly as she pulls the sword out, my body flinching slightly, "Cass," I say again as she lines up her sword to Shiva's neck. Her eyes finally drift up to me, "You aren't a weapon."

Something recoils in her, and she looks down again, her lips in a snarl before he closes them and moves away.

When her eyes look back up at me, I know it isn't just my words that got through to her, but also what Barbara had done for her, to give her this chance to be good. To be more than a weapon. I could practically see the memories playing in her head of the night she first came to us.

"Whom do you think you are fooling, child? I saw it in your eyes. You are still an assassin," She shouts as Cass puts her sword away and walks to me. "In allowing these people to adopt you, you believe you have rejected me, declared yourself an orphan." She practically spits the words out, "But you are no orphan. You are Cassandra Wu-San. Come back to your mother when you are ready to admit who you really are!"

I put a hand on her shoulder, glaring back at her mother.

"And you," She hisses, "You act like you aren't the same. Like you aren't one of us. I see you holding back, girl. I know you still deny who you are. What you are." She holds her stomach that's now coated in red, "This isn't the last time you will be here. You will join us, just as my traitorous daughter will."

"Sure," I respond sarcastically as we climb onto Sphere, "I look forward to it."

__________

"How far ahead is she?" I ask, the wind blowing my hair in different directions.

I was half way to the nearest zeta-tube to go relieve Nightwing of my position when Artemis called me frantic about how Jade skipped town again.

She was so close to being reunited with her family, and then she left.

Artemis doesn't understand why, but I do. I know what Jade is thinking but I can't exactly tell Artemis that without her scoffing and saying we are both wrong.

While I love Artemis, she never fully joined the Shadows. She doesn't know how hard it is to try to live normally after that. Even the hero life is different.

She doesn't realize how hard it is to let people closer after that. Maybe she did when she was younger, but now? Now she thinks it's ridiculous.

"Her stolen helicopter has about ten minutes on you. But you're gaining." Barbara says over the communicator.

"And she's still on course for Infinity Island?" I ask, my blood running cold.

"Still. Yes. Why would she go there?"

"I have no idea. And I can't believe you tagged my sister." She adds, looking to me as if I had done it.

If I am honest, Barbara probably did start tagging people more after she met me, but that's not important...

"Didn't you trust her?" I ask, a small smirk on my lips.

"Of course not!" Barbara hisses at my joke, "But I tagged all of you." She says as if that makes anything better, before quietly adding, "Wasn't gonna lose anyone else."

I sigh, feeling the need to rub my face. Artemis was so scared she begged me to come. She almost talked herself out of it trying to persuade me to come, but I was already turned around before she could commit to the idea.

But seeing him again. Actually seeing him again...

I swear my back stings at the thought. The last encounter was when I let him get a few slashes in so that our pact would be unbroken and my friends wouldn't be punished for going to Infinity Island the way that they did.

Tonight... I didn't want to think about what it may end up as. All I can do is mentally prepare.

"Still like to know whose voice is coming out of that little bat-bug," Onyx says, reminding us all that they are she is there over the sound of the wind as we come up on Infinity Island.

"There she is!" Artemis exclaims, our eyes locking with her figure on a boat.

"She's turning!" Onyx yells, pointing to her.

She is turning straight for Infinity Island.

Here we go.

She lands a few minutes before us, us coming up when her sword is already drawn and she is staring down Sensei.

He looks at us, coming up on him and Jade who both look like they are ready to murder the other. They probably are.

"Another attack on my meditation place?" He looks to me."The Great One will not be pleased."

I flick my claws out, my eyes narrowing as I try to keep my breathing steady.

"You again." He says, focusing on Cheshire now. "Did you come back to live or to die?" When Cheshire doesn't respond, he continues, "Ah, to die, then."

Jade prepares for his attack, but Artemis moves forward, blocking him.

"Artemis, get out of the way. This needs to end now!" She hisses, her mask off as she flares at her sister.

"What are you talking about?" Artemis flares back, anger seeping into her voice, "Are you trying to get yourself killed?"

"Yes, she is."

"Shut it," I glare at Sensei.

" No!" Jade answers her sister.

Sensei merely looks to me in surprise at my outburst before saying evenly, "She knows she has no fight here, save the fight she has with herself."

I have to fight back an eye roll.

"Jade, come home," I step forward, "I know-"

"Artemis, please. Just go back home." Jade pleads with her sister, trying to get us to leave her here.

"Ah. She doesn't want witnesses," Sensei chuckles to himself.

"That's not it! I'm..." She shakes her head, frustration flashing in her eyes as she turn to him and points to her, "I'm just sending her back where she belongs." Her eyes soften slightly, "Home. With Will and Lian."

Artemis shakes her head, her voice lower than before, "I am only living there because you left."

"I had to leave!"

"Because you couldn't be bothered?" Artemis questions, before continuing, not letting her try to answer, "Because you couldn't handle the responsibility?"

"No!"

"Then why?" I ask, my eyes meeting hers in understanding.

"Because I'm too much like Dad," She admits, her head shaking, "I don't want Lian turning out like me."

Artemis scoffs, "We are both children of our parents. But at some point, we decide who we want to be. Our parents, our upbringing, none of that has to define us. Aren't I proof DNA doesn't define destiny?"

"I chose my destiny a long time ago." Jade looks to the floor.

"It's never too late to change your mind to change who you are." I step forward, my eyes softening, "But changing takes time and work. You've just got to be willing to put both in. Maybe with a little help from family, say, a sister
who still loves you and a friend who has been through the same experience." I gesture to Artemis and myself.

"You mean a sister who lives with my ex and my daughter?" Jade says looking to Artemis again, "I can't take you away from them, and I can't be a part of their lives. Not yet. Maybe not ever."

-"Yes, you can..." Artemis argues back.

"Don't you get it?" Jade snaps, "I wouldn't be joining them. I'd be bringing them into my cage with me."

"We all build our own cages. It gives us something to run away from." Onyx speaks up, her eyes holding some sort of understanding on the topic too. "See, I was raised by my maternal grandfather. Will Everett, "The Amazing Man". He was good to me, but I felt trapped. Papa Willie was always more Booker T than Malcolm X. He believed in leading by example, doing the right thing, which sounds great, but it would never be enough. The world was never going to just catch up and recognize our worth. Even as a kid, I was..." She trails off, shaking her head, "I was frustrated and angry. I wanted more. Then, Sensei found me, promised I could make
a difference, change the world, throw off the old order. So I ran away." She looks around at the Island, "And here on Infinity Island, the Shadows felt like my new family."

"Yeah. The Shadows did better by me than Sportsmaster ever did." Jade scoffs.

"That was a very low bar." Artemis deadpans.

No kidding if the Shadows did better.

"Certainly by now, you both understand that what you experienced here was not family... but manipulation." Sensei says, surprising even me. He looks to me briefly again before looking back to them, "Of course, the Shadows kept an eye on the daughters of Sportsmaster and the granddaughter of Amazing Man from the moment each was born. Thus when we saw opportunities to take you, we did. My role was to create loyalty. To create fanatics... A job I did too
well on Lady Shiva." He looks back to me, "And when Catwoman adopted a talented partner, it was heavily noticed."

"But Papa Willie... He died a few years later." Onyx says, making us turn back to her, "I left a man who loved me. He loved me, and I never saw him again." She admits, her voice laced with regret.

"Exactly," Sensei nods. "I'm glad you finally understand. The shadows made you into weapons." I force myself to not flinch at the word, especially when he looks to me, "But, per the Master, we are no longer in that business." Because of me. "I believe we can help the both of you now, but only if you approach your rehabilitation with open eyes."

It goes silent aside from bugs buzzing around us, my eyes sliding to Jade who was looking at Sensei with a thoughtful look on her face.

"I can't believe you are even considering this!" Artemis huffs.

"It merits consideration."

My blood runs cold.

"Well, if it isn't the Great One himself," Artemis says, causing my spine to straighten, a tingle running up it as I lock eyes with the Demon.

"Artemis Crock," He says, his eyes leaving mine for a split second to address her before saying, "Brooklyn Travis." His eyes find me again and I force my hands to not form a fist, to not dig my claws into my own flesh to keep myself grounded. "I understand... even respect your skepticism." He admits, "But you have my word. If these two choose to stay, we will strive to help them." He says, and I scoff, causing him to pause.

"Like you helped me?" I question, anger seeping in my voice. I take a for steps closer, not scared they would stop me. He can't. He can't lay a finger on me according to his word.

"I do apologize for my lack in judgement when it came to your... rehabilitation. However, we on Infinity Island are focused on righting the wrongs of the past." He studies me for a few moments before he tilts his head down, a sign of respect. "Please allow me to do this for your friends. You have my word that we will strive to help them." he picks his head back up, his eyes locking with mine again, " And as a friend of yours is fond of saying, 'Ra's al Ghul is many things... But a liar
isn't one of them.' "

I don't have to wonder to said it. Not with the way he is looking at me and me knowing how he chooses what to say based off of who his audience is.

I narrow my eyes at him as Artemis cuts in, "Jade, what's the end game here? Are you just trading one kind of cage for another?"

Jade looks at her somewhat tiredly, "I don't know, Mouse... But this honestly feels like a step in the right direction." She looks to me before looking to Onyx. "Doesn't it?"

Onyx looks to Artemis and I, struggling with words for a few moments before shrugging, "I can't believe I'm saying this, but... It does. For me, too. I wanna stay." As she finishes the sentence she looks up at the Demon Head.

"You are both welcome among our family," He gives them a wicked smile that makes my stomach churn, "Our true family."

I study his words, his body expression before I look to Artemis. She is waiting for me; she wants to get my approval before agreeing to anything.

And as much as it pains me, when I look at the sureness on Jade and Onyx's faces, I tilt my head into the smallest of nods.

Artemis begrudgingly looks back to him, "I plan on coming back to check on both of them. Count on it."

He merely nods, "We have no objection.You are welcome here at any time." His eyes go to me again, "You as well."

I would rather have tea with Joker and Harley.

__________

"Sorry," I say slightly out of breath as I walk up to Nightwing, two coffees in hand. "The situation took slightly longer than expected." He turns to me from facing the screens, and looks down at my hand, a coffee extended to him. "To say thanks," I explain, taking a sip of mine. "Don't worry it isn't poisoned."

His mouth quirks up at that comment as he takes it, sipping it. When he looks the cup back, there is a small smile on his face; I remember exactly how he likes his coffee.

I turn with him and look at the screen. "Anything interesting happen on this 'situation' mission?" He asks, his eyes studying me. I realize his eyes are scanning me the way he used to, the way we used to. We would look for anything out of place, many injuries on the other after every single mission.

He finds the cut on my arm easily, already bandaged up and everything, before frowning at it. He doesn't ask and the look is gone by the time he meets my eyes again.

"Part of you accepting the coffee means no questions can be asked," I remark before taking another sip, trying to be as casual as possible. He rolls his eyes and looks back to the screens too, not prying more. "You can go," I say after a moment, looking at him. "I know we are working off of different time zones right now. You have to be tired."

"It's okay," He mutters back, "I don't mind it."

A silence falls over us and I try not to over analyze his words, his actions.

"How... How have you been?" I ask after some time, and I don't have to clarify what I mean for him. He knows me, knows my tone. He knows I am asking how he is doing with Conner's death. 

"I was going to ask you the same," He admits, causing me to look at him, him already looking down at me. I don't say anything, only watch his expression for any lies as he says, "Not good. I think I may run off to the circus for a while."

The circus that has been his safe haven for years despite bad memories happening there. But good ones happened too. That was the place I felt a shift in our relationship, our trust in each other. I think it was the first time we had both let our shields down, just for a moment, when we were flipping through the air.

I almost smile at the memories before I look forward and say, "Make sure to tell Haley I said hi,"

From the corner of my eye, I swear I see his own mouth curve up at the comment, "Will do. He will probably be upset that you aren't with me." He realizes that might not have been the best thing to say after I don't say anything, trying to ignore the slight hurt at the fact that I wouldn't be joining him. That he had known I wasn't. Because why would I have? "I think it will be good for me," He breaks me out of my thoughts, "I... I just need a break."

It's the defended tone that causes me to look back at him, only he has turned his attention to the floor.

"I think that would be a great idea." I give him a reassuring smile.

He almost lets his own slip, but stops it as he asks, "And you? How have you been?"

I bite the inside of my cheek before I give a swift nod, "Okay. Not the best, but not completely falling apart," I look away again, trying not to think about his gaze on me, knowing how to read me like he back of his hand. "Trying to stay busy. Canary told me not to overdue it though, so she has been making me log how much time I spend here."

He raises an eyebrow at this, something about what I said standing out to him, but he only says, "I think that's really good." We both look back to the screen before he adds, "You should go home, get some rest."

My head snaps back to his, him pretending to be casual about what he said, "It's my shift, I'm okay, you can-"

"You just got back from a really long-whatever it was-" He points out, "And knowing you and your family, it probably involved fighting," I roll my eyes at him, wanting to point out that his family is the same. "And I don't mind taking your shift this once. I'm already here... I have coffee," He shakes the coffee in the air, nearly making me smile. "I'm set."

"Nightwing, you don't-"

"Come on, Cat." He stops me, and it's the seriousness in his tone that tells me this is more than him being polite. "Just... Just humor me and go get some rest."

I study his face, and with some small shock realize he is worried about me. Worried I am over exerting myself... Just like Canary.

"Did Canary put you up to this?" I question, crossing my arms.

"What? No," He immediately denies it, looking away with a frustrated sigh, "I just-I know how you are. I know you," He says, his eyes meeting mine again. "She doesn't need to tell me you can overwork yourself for me to know."

I don't know how to respond for a few moments before I remark, "Does it ever feel like you are talking to a mirror when you say stuff like that?"

He lets out a small laugh, hanging his head a little, "Point taken. Doesn't make it any less true. Plus I've got a circus trip to relax at."

If we are comparing, I had a trip to Santa Prisca. And Infinity Island.

I don't think he would appreciate hearing that though.

I stare at him for a few moments before sighing, "Fine, but just this once." Even as the words leave my body, I realize how tired I actually am, the soreness seeping into my muscles.

"Good," He smirks lightly, feeling accomplished because he thinks he won this conversation. Really I call it a win with not spilling what I had done tonight.

"Then I guess I will go," I say starting to walk away, "Night, Blues Clues."

"Night, Whiskers."

I flip him off at the old nickname from when we were young, making him laugh, the sound echoing in the empty room.

I can't hide the smile after I turn around from hearing it.

_____________________

I get home relatively fast, unlocking the door and rolling my shoulder as I put the keys on the counter. It's getting stiff now, making me grab an ice pack from the freezer when I realize someone else is in the room.

"You are up late," The familiar voice states as I shut the freezer door.

"When am I not?" I question, turning to see Alex sitting on a barstool, his head leaning on his hand as his eyes scan me.

"What happened?" He asks, his eyes going to my shoulder as I press the ice pack to it.

"Nothing that hasn't happened before," I reassure him, leaning against the fridge.

He frowns though, his eyes studying me, "You are in a good mood."

I snort, "What?"

"You came in smiling." He states, his jaw clenching slightly, "Was he there?"

I didn't expect the jealousy in his voice as he refers to Dick.

Yes, Alex has always flirted with me, but he has been a lot less forthcoming in the last year. I figured he had just grown out of it, gotten used to me.

"You mean-"

"Dick." He says flatly, and I can't tell if he is saying his name or calling him one.

"No," I shake my head, "I mean, I did see him tonight but he wasn't on the mission." He lets out a sigh, rolling his eyes and moves to get up. I watch the movement in confusion, "What's your problem?"

He pauses, before looking back to me, "Really?" I raise an eyebrow at him expectantly. He takes several steps, until he is right in front of me ask he says, "I'm just wondering when you are going to let this go."

"What-"

"Come on, Brooke," He cuts me off, "He doesn't want you." I try not to flinch at the words, keeping my face an emotionless mask as he continues, "It's been a year and you are still waiting for him. He isn't going to change his mind. Which means you should move on."

I raise an eyebrow, "Excuse me," I hiss out, "I'm not-"

"Brooke, he doesn't deserve you." He steps closer so close that when I look up at him, our noses are nearly touching.

"What, and you do?" I question, his words lighting a fire in me.

We lost Conner. We lost Conner and he expects me to be focusing on trying to get back with Dick? I'm trying to be his friend, but we don't seem to know how to do that. I can't help if he makes me smile, or makes my heart race. I can't help it.

"Maybe," He says, and it's like he threw cold water over me, extinguishing the fire as his hand moves to cup my cheek. I freeze, my eyes widening a fraction as he watches for my reaction, his thumb brushing across my cheek. I don't move, not willing to back down, but not wanting to move closer as he dips his head slightly, his nose brushing mine. "If he deserved you, he wouldn't have waited this long. He wouldn't be pushing you away." He shakes his head, "I wouldn't," He mutters, making my skin heat up.

"Alex," I say, my voice coming out surprisingly strong as I press a hand to his chest.

Disappointment flashes in his eyes, but he backs away, but not before pressing a kiss to my cheek, making me hold my breath before he steps back.

I stare at him, not really sure what to say, or do.

He notices, looking me over one more time before saying, "Good night," and walking to his room.

I shake my head, trying to ignore everything that had just happened as I take the ice pack and stalk toward my room, thankfully on the opposite side of the apartment.

________________________________

A/N:
a long overdue update!!!
i hoped you liked ittttt and alex got a little bond at the end...

so obviously i am mixing my own plot in with season four, so don't worry, not everything is going to be based on season four, but we do have to get through that to get to the actual bit of the plot for me that i think you guys are going to really like. the next probably two chapters will be more of my plot so hopefully it will be refreshing and not just what you see on the show. personally that's the hardest bit to write.

i really want to hear from you guys so plz comment to me <3 also ignore any mistakes, my sister didn't want to read it tonight so they will be fixed later; i wanted to get y'all the update anyways.
____

how are y'all feeling?
favorite parts?
did you expect cat to end up back there so soon?
do you think ra's al ghul truly is letting them go without any other consequences?
do you think that dick is going to find out? if he does what would his reaction be?
what do you want to see specifically? more jealousy for someone? any flashbacks?
_____________
thanks for reading, don't forget to vote & comment !!

xoxo, author

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.5K 215 4
What if Superboy wasn't the only clone Robin, Kid Flash, and Aqualad found when they snuck into Cadmus? What is the Big Blue Boy Scout wasn't the onl...
571K 15.5K 46
" You'll never know if you can fly , unless you take the risk of falling" ~Nightwing~ After the death of her parents and the disappearance of...
294K 7.1K 46
I AM WORKING ON EDITING IT!!! SO DO NOT MURDER ME FOR MISTAKES!!! ____________________________________________________________________ Serena has bee...
91.1K 4K 57
Now calling herself "Jade," a girl must delve into the risky business of cat burglary in attempts to keep her sister safe from a dangerous past. As t...