COTE: Last Elite Standing

By Kawaii_Lumine

4 classes are pitted against each other in a life or death situation! And while most students are winning to... More

Episode 0: ..........
Episode 1: Hell under the guise of ' Paradise'.
Episode 2: Game 1: Protect the murderer!
Episode 3: Ayanokoji hates this game!
Episode 4: Recklessness...
Episode 5: Days...and days.....until...?
Episode 6: The traitor is none other than Ayanokoji Kiyotaka!
Episode 6.5: A game between the Director and Ayanokoji?
Episode 7: Outcast.
Episode 8: Conversation with my adversaries..
Episode 9: Truth or Lies
Episode 10: Broken Bond.
Episode 11: Suzune and Kikyo
Episode 12: Hope?
Episode 13: Victory within reach
Episode 14: Perfect Victory
Episode 15: He who assumes the role....
S2. Episode 0: Human
S2. Episode 1: Welcome to London!
S2. Episode 3: Nagumo Miyabi.
S2. Episode 4: Everybody hates you, Horikita
S2. Episode 5:Tell me, Ayanokoji-kun....
S2. Episode 6: Mirror.
S2. Episode 7: A different ' him'
S2. Episode 8: Choose your truth.
S2. Episode 9: Does the Devil exist?
S2. Episode 10: The Third Game...
S3. Episode 0: Family.
S3. Episode 1: The line between Ally and Foe
S3. Episode 2: The inflatable bed.

S2. Episode 2: Survey....

1.9K 121 101
By Kawaii_Lumine

Ayanokoji PoV

The interior was bigger than I initially expected. I looked around and every single detail, every little item, simply screamed ' Luxury'.

We were informed that the director owned this building but all its operations were handled by Kazumi Shoko. I'm curious if the director perhaps hid some secrets in this building, but as psychotic as she is, I wouldn't put her on any level of stupidity. There's no doubt that she buried any secrets or weaknesses to places nobody could reach.

" Asahina, could you stop clinging on to Ichinose?" Kazumi said.

" Eh? But I want to get to know my favorite kouhai!" She pouts.

" Eh? I'm your favorite?" Ichinose asked, seemingly flustered. She made her mask seem believable.

" Of course! After all, we have similar masks!" 

" Eh?" Ichinose's expression froze. 

What?

I, too, began staring at Asahina with a suspicious look. The girl in question only smiled as if nothing had happened, but she managed to catch Ichinose Honami off guard. " Same Masks" She says? Does Asahina Nazuna also wear a mask? Is the Asahina Nazuna we're currently talking to, a mask?

" Just kidding, Kouhai-chan~" Asahina squeezes Ichinose's cheeks, which made the latter jolt in suprise.

" S_Senpai!" Ichinose was embarrassed. I was watching her be treated like a child.

" Anyways, I should go. I'm sure Kazumi-san is reaching her boiling point the longer I stay." She winks at the gray haired woman jokingly. 

The latter replied with an unamused look , 

" Good. Now scram." Kazumi ordered and pointed to a hallway.

" Yeah, yeah~" Asahina chuckles before looking towards Ichinose and I one last time.

" I'll see you two later!" She says before running off, happily skipping away....

Ichinose and I glanced toward one another with a mutual understanding. That there might be more to the upperclassmen than we expect. Kazumi Shoko releases a sigh of relief before looking towards us and gesturing her hand, asking us to follow her. We silently complied and did just that.

" Asahina-senpai is quite the lively one." Ichinose says.

" Indeed...." I agreed. In other words, Ichinose is basically telling me that Asahina Nazuna was suspicious.

" Yep. One of the few that are still lively in her year." Kazumi said 

" What about the others? " I inquired.

" Not so much, I suppose. I mean..." She stops and turns to us with a serious expression." You're both aware of the nature of this school...."

Indeed, painfully so. By Kazumi's expression alone, it indicates that Asahina's year has suffered a lot more than us as they move forward. We just started but everyone in my year (with the exception of Ichinose and  myself ), consider it hell. It's already tiring enough to predict what hurdles we may encounter, but I am determined to endure it all and achieve victory for my peace.

" But why is Asahina-senpai staying so lively...?" Ichinose wonders, " Is it a coping mechanism?"

Kazumi smirks, " You may ask her that yourself. After all, you are here to ' survey' , yes?" She said.

Right, we are here to ' survey'. And yet, I feel as though there's something important detail that Kazumi is hiding from us, maybe she wanted to tell us but not now. I didn't feel like wasting time, so I resolved myself to ask right away.

" Kazumi."

" Hm?"

" Are you hiding something from us?" I narrowed my gaze.

" What do you mean?" She played dumb. It was obvious and she didn't intend to try too much to hide it.

" This is a big place, Kazumi-san." Ichinose began speaking, " And although we haven't seen all there is to see within this resort, I have no doubt that it is as you say. Large. Which leads me to think.....that there must be another reason why we're here. We just came under the excuse of ' survey'." She said.

We're both on the same page as expected.

" Seriously....you two......heh." She shakes her head and shrugs, " Actually, I wanted to suprise you both later. But I'm not interested in stalling further if both of you are wearing such serious expressions......yeah, there is another reason why you're here. However, the student survey wasn't entirely an excuse."

" Huh?" both Ichinose and I said.

" While you were definitely sent here to survey your upperclassmen......you were also sent here to work as hotel/resort staff."

" Staff?" Ichinose said, suprised.

Staff? So for the time being, we are to work here?

" That's right." Kazumi nods. " You guys will rotate between the several positions on a daily basis. And it's not that we're understaffed, but this was the Director's instructions that both you two and I have to follow. "

" And what if we don't?" I asked.

" Then that'd be a shame." She smiles.

" Why is that?" Ichinose asked.

" You see, if we get bad reviews because of your lack of effort, then as consequence, class points will be substracted from both of your classes and an additional punishment will be applied which I will go over later on." She says.

" ...." Something is amiss.

" Kazumi, you say that we're hotel staff that rotates between different positions on a daily basis. However, I'm led to assume that you WANT us to think that, to think that we're ' backup' hotel staff but if I read into what you just said a moment ago...." I sighed before looking into her grey orbs.

" We're actually the main hotel staff, right?" 

" ....Heh." She chuckles. " Yes. That is correct. You two will be the main powerhouse of this large establishment, so you'd best practice your skills in entertaining and servicing guests. And also get used to the surroundings and different rooms in this environment."

" So..." Ichinose glances to me before looking back at Kazumi, " Kazumi-san will guide us for today?"

" Yep." She replied.

So that's how it is. It seems there was a catch. And if there is a reason for deducting class points, then it's very likely that there is a method to gain them. I'm guessing it will relate to the reviews the guests will leave once their stay is over.

" So for a week, we are to service guests? I can understand that. But I'd like to ask something that's been bothering me for a while...." I said.

" Feel free." Kazumi said.

" Does this hotel operate 24/7? Even before we arrived, has it always been like this? You told us the upperclassmen live here and Asahina-senpai's presence confirmed that. What do they do? Do they endure these games in this place? Or is it a resting spot." I asked.

" No. The hotel does not operate 24/7. It's actually rarely open to guests and it's really just intended to serve the students who live here....however, to avoid suspicion, we are to accommodate guests once in a while as to keep up the reputation of this luxurious hotel being ' impossible' to get into. And by leaving us with good reviews, we will ensure no problems of sudden interruption with the games that sometimes take place in this building." She answered.

" Hm....alright. But regarding the good reviews, will that ensure us the increase of class points after our stay?" I asked.

" Geez, do let me explain that later. " She shakes her head, " Let me show you two around first, okay? And then I'll tell you all the details I'm allowed to tell."

" Sounds fair. " Ichinose agrees.

Well, Kazumi isn't wrong. I'd better use this day to practice for whatever job I may have to take up tomorrow and also my ability service guests and entertain them if needed be. So it's optimal to go along with her for now and ask questions later.

" All right. Lead the way, Kazumi." I said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Horikita PoV

" Suzune-chan?"

" Hm?"

" Everyone stormed off...."

" I know."

" What are we...going to do now?"

" That, I do not know." I sighed. " I followed Ayanokoji-kun's instructions....I acted hard....and expected , it only aggravated them."

Kikyo also sighs with me and takes the seat beside me, she patted my back.

" Ayanokoji-kun's thoughts and actions.....his methods.....are incredibly confusing..." She said.

" It's only confusing because he tends to act vague. An annoying trait he has." I grumbled.

"....But maybe Ayanokoji-kun wants us to learn it ourselves. To be...independent?" She suggested weakly.

" Then what's the point of him being leader? If he wants us to be independent, then he will not have taken up the leader role. It's contradicting." I fired back.

" I think Suzune-chan still has a narrow point of view..." Kikyo chuckled.

I turned to her with an irritated look, " You seem to know better, Kikyo. Pray tell, why exactly do I have a 'narrow' point of view when all I'm speaking is logical points."

" Well...." She goes into thinking mode, " Ayanokoji-kun is our leader but right now, he's not here, right?"

" Right."

" Then.....shouldn't we be independent when our leader is not around?" She said.

"Still, he needs to specify what exactly he wants us to do. I already told him that I'm not as a stand-in, in fact, why did he even pick ME? " I stubbornly refused to accept Kikyo's answer.

" Perhaps this is a test, Suzune-chan. A test to see how useful you can be to him.....that's the best and most realistic thing I could think of." She admitted.

How useful I am....

That does sound like something he'd do...

" Even so...." I sigh. " I need to understand his intentions....I can't make this plan work if I don't understand the direction he wants me to take...." I mutter.

" ....Maybe....he's just providing us the foundation." Kikyo said.

" Foundation?"

" Mhm. He gave us the foundation, and it's our job to build off of it. He told you to keep an eye out for Sudo, Karuizawa, and Matsushita-san, right? Maybe we just have to figure out the best direction.Horikita-san, please think as ' yourself' and not Ayanokoji-kun." She said.

....Think like myself....

Haah....last time I decided to act on my own impulse, I screwed everything up. Only Ayanokoji-kun can decide my movements.....

But.....I have to try. And this time, I'll succeed the way he wants me to. For myself, for Kikyo, for my classmates, and for my late brother. I need to push forward....

"....All right." I sat up straight.

I turned towards Kikyo. " I think I know what Ayanokoji-kun wants me to do."

" But I thought you're going to-"

" It's my interpretation, Kikyo." I said. I do not completely understand Ayanokoji's intentions, but I have a guess. 

Kikyo gave me a blank look for a while before her lips formed an encouraging smile, 

" Okay then!" She said.

---------------------------------------------------------------

( 1 pm....)

" Haah...." I placed down my bags and plopped on my big soft bed.

After hours of getting to know the layout of the hotel resort and its rooms, Ichinose and I were finally allowed to enter our own personal rooms for the time being. This building has 70 floors in its hotel side while the resort at back of it had 6 dorms and 4 storeys each.  I was situated in the hotel building, the  44th floor, while Ichinose was in the same building situated at the 50th floor. 

Seriously... we're assigned to service this huge establishment?  At least, we'll serve in one position and switching between daily. But we're still " backup" so if other positions require some to fill it, both Ichinose and I have to take the initiative. 

Well, we're free the whole afternoon and night. Perhaps I should use a few hours of my time to study the job positions here, in order to understand the way to do things like other hotel resorts do. With that in mind, I got up from my bed and took out the book Kazumi left us with and made my way to the study table. I flipped the page open and began reading in silence.

This needs to be engraved in my mind quickly. Must work efficiently.

After all, during the tour, Kazumi finally explained the reward system placed in our survey. If the customers leave their week stay with bad reviews, then we'll be deducted class points. But if they leave with good reviews, then we can be rewarded with class points. Another thing to add, is that customers will be provided with private points as soon as they check in the hotel resort. If we satisfy them well enough, then there's a chance they could leave either of us with a huge tip.

Private points and Class points....

This is not entirely a game....but rather....a chance to gain redemption for my class and stall Ichinose's.

However....

I still want to continue my search for that blonde student. My curiosity is killing me at this point, but the class points presented themselves and now I'm stuck in a small dillemma. Class points? Or the feeling of satiating my curiosity? Either choices are linked to my own selfish desired. Curiosity and Freedom. By gaining class points, I will be able to catch up with Class A and overtake them which will serve as entertainment for the director. By satiating my curiosity, I can talk to that specific student and ask them a few questions that will no doubt be useful for me in the future if my prediction is correct.

Well, we'll see how this plays out tomorrow....but for now I oughta memorize everything before doing anything else.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Kazumi PoV

It was late at night, I was in a video call with Director Lumine, discussing the details about this survey and also the behavior of the upper students. 

" I see....that's good~" The director nods.

" We'll have a ton of guests this week, everything is set up just the way you instructed." I assured her.

" Great!" She smiles from my screen, " Make sure to keep track of Ichinose and Ayanokoji." She said.

I smiled. " Of course, Director...." 

" Well, thank you for the report, Kazumi. It's time we end this call so you can get some good night's rest-"

" Wait." I said. The director's eyes widened in suprise and she wore a blank smile.

" Yes? Do you have something else you wish to discuss?" She asks.

" ....How is.....' that' going for you..?" I asked.

" Oh? Worried now, are we?" She said, amused. But it wasn't mutual.

" I'm serious, Lumine." I dropped her title or any honorifics.

" ...." She stayed silent for a bit. I waited for her to answer. This was....important to me and she knew that.

" It hurts." She finally admits, " The worst pain I've felt in a while.....but nothing I can't handle." She added.

" ....How much do you estimate you'll have left...?" I asked.

" How much time? Hmm...." She wore a thinking expression, But what irked me was the fact that she doesn't seem to be taking seriously at all!

" Enough time, I suppose." She said.

" What?"

" I have enough time....enough time to see how this plays out. To see how this ends." She grins. " So cheer up, will you? Don't go all sentimental on a horrible being like me! You and Honami should look out for each other once I'm gone." she says, cheerfully.

You speak of your death without fear.

Why do I feel pity for someone like you? I ask myself that every single day.

In the end, you and I, this is just business. You are my employer and I am your employee. There's nothing more to it than that.

And....you're also a murderer. You've taken the lives of others. The world would condemn you to hell if they ever knew of the countless atrocities you've committed to people.

And yet....

I...

" I understand." I nod. 

" Great! Have a good night, Kazumi." She waves good bye before ending our call.

I still couldn't hate you for it.

------------------------------------------------

( Next day.....5 AM...)

Ayanokoji PoV

I wore the uniform I was instructed to use. A red long sleeved blazer with golden buttons, and black pants with black shoes. There was also a silver nametag with my name on it.

' Kiyotaka'

So my first name? I suppose it's natural since the customers are likely to be British people, considering where I'm currently at. My first name would be much easier to pronounce than my last name.

I sighed to myself as I opened the door, ready to start my first day as a hotel employee....

---------------------------------------------------

" Ah, Mr.Oliver." I spoke in english as I searched for his name in the list. " Your room should be 206, 2nd floor." I told the middle aged man once I found it.

" Thanks, lad." He said after I handed him the key. He bid goodbye before entering the elevator with one of the bellhops that was holding his luggage.

I was assigned front desk duty for today. In charge of keeping track of the checking in and outs of guests.  As for Ichinose, I believe she was assigned with housekeeper duties since apparently, a few rooms were reported to be untidy.

" Welcome to Shining Star Hotel and Resort. May I have your name?" I said to the next person who came up to me. This time, it was a woman, likely in her late 30's. She seemed pretty well-off as expected for someone who decided to put reservations for a luxurious place such as this.

" Emily Evans. " She said.

" Okay, Miss Evans...." I searched down the list and found her name. " Ah, there it is. " I look up towards her and carefully selected the assigned keys.

" Here you go, Miss Evans. Room 450, floor 4. Enjoy your stay." I said as politely as I could while handing her the key.

" Don't you seem a little too young to be working here?" She suddenly said after taking the key. Her voice had no malicious intention, it was pure curiosity.

I decided to humor her, " Ah, yes. Well, more of a temporary job." I clarified. It wasn't completely a lie.

" Hmm...I see. Very well, good day to you." She says politely.

" And to you as well, madam. Enjoy your stay." I responded in kind.  She soon left towards the second elevator.

" Receptionist boy! " Someone loudly said. Were they referring to me? I am the receptionist....

I looked towards the front door and I was met with the sight of a tall male individual with a noticeably well-built figure. His golden blonde mane was combed slick back reaching shoulder length at the very least. His expression looked confident.....or cocky. He gave the aura of someone who demands attention and royalty.

" Were you referring to me, Sir?" I asked.

" Who else am I referring to? Your seat? Don't play dumb now, Receptionist boy!" He laughs heartily. 

I already felt like sighing but I held it in for now.

" My apologies." I started, " Welcome to Shining Star Hotel and Resort. May I have your na-" But he interrupts.

" Koenji Rokusuke. Now hurry it up! I wish to dabble in the quality service this establishment has to offer Ha Ha!" He said, pulling out a mirror to gaze at himself.

Koenji Rokusuke...?

Is he Japanese? Maybe his family has japanese blood because from first impressions he looks more foreign than japanese. And right now, he's speaking english too and it sounds completely natural. If he is Japanese, then I'm curious if he knows how to speak the language as well.

" All right, give me a second sir...." My eyes went towards the list that appeared on the screen. It didn't take long for me to find his name since I immediately spotted within the VIP section of the list. 

" It seems you're in the VIP list." I look up from the screen, " Your room is at the top floor, Room 701. Enjoy your stay." I handed him the key and he took it brazenly.

" How about you lighten up your mood in my presence, Receptionist boy? If you did, then I would've tipped you 1 private point! Haha!" He chuckled loudly before passing through the hallway towards the elevator.

Haah....troublesome guy.

" Hello, receptionist-san~" A familiar voice said.

I already knew who it was. I sighed again once my eyes met hers. It was Asahina Nazuna.

" Hello, Asahina-senpai." I greeted.

" Hello, Kouhai!" She smiles. 

Hm....this seems like a good chance for me to ask a few questions.

" Senpai-"

" Could it be that Ayanokoji-kun wants to find a certain someone?" She asked.

How did she....

" Oh? I guessed right? Nice!" She says.

" How did you know?" I asked.

" I know the eyes of a hunter, Ayanokoji-kun. Once a person decides on a prey, their eyes can give out that sign. Well, as long as you're good in picking it out just from their eyes. It's an acquired skill of mine after working with someone with a similar attitude." She grins.

The eyes of a hunter...

In other words, she's saying that she has good observation skills. If I'm not careful, she might be able to discern whatever intentions I may develop during my stay here and call me out on it.  If I let that happen then she will prove a troublesome individual to come across in the near future if ever we encounter more than I may expect.

But for now, I might as well play along and continue onwards....

" I see, that's impressive. You have an amazing skill, Senpai." I said.

" Ohhh don't make me blush~" She winks.

" And you are right. I am looking for someone. A student with blonde hair. A student who-"

" Betrayed Horikita Manabu?" she finished it for me.

" Yeah." I nod. 

" Hmm....and why are you looking for him?" She asks.

" I'm curious as to why he did it. Director Lumine mentioned  Horikita Manabu doing well for three years...and was about to succeed. Not only that, the same blonde kouhai was also a trusted ally of his but then all of a sudden, that kouhai betrayed him? I'm curious about that. Was the trust not mutual?" I said.

" Hmm...I wonder.....was the trust mutual..... " She emphasized the last word for some reason.

" You're leading me to assume otherwise with that strange emphasis on ' mutual' senpai." I said.

She laughs, " Really? Hahahaha!"

" But....in regards to that person you're looking for..." She composes herself and looks deep into my eyes. "  Nagumo Miyabi. That's his name."

Nagumo Miyabi...

" Who is he? As a student, I mean." I asked further.

" A pretty intimidating guy but relatively harmless." She chuckles, " He's lead us to victory multiple times."

" Lead? So he's your leader?" I asked.

" Yep."

" Of which class?" I asked.

" You guess that yourself, golden eyes." She laughs. " Anyways....I'd better head off now. You've got quite a line waiting for you~" She tilted her head and lets me see a long line of guests behind her.

Tch.

" Nice chatting with you! Time to search for Honami-chan!" She chirps before leaving with a wave of see ya later. " Bye bye!"

Why are all the female species around me so...unusual.

" Um , sorry about that." I decided to exit my thoughts for a moment and focused on my task. " Welcome to Shining Star Hotel and Resort..."

-------------------------------------------------------------

( Lunch time...)

Lunch time....

Kazumi instructed me to go to the resort side for lunch. Since that's where most of the upperclassmen were apparently eating. This is my chance to not only consume a sufficient amount of food, but to also start on my ' survey' among the them. I hope to encounter Nagumo Miyabi there.

I walked to the place.....and....

" Look....it's him."

" He doesn't look so bad..."

" He looks attractive in all honesty..."

A few girls said that.

" So this is the first year hotshot along with Ichinose?"

" But his class.....didn't his class end up with -600 points?"

" That's pitiful...."

Some boys also commented with sympathetic tones.

Well, in any case, none of their comments matter.

What matters is the fact that all the upperclassmen in the area were collectively staring at me. Whispering about me. It seems news of me and Ichinose reached them before.

" Oh, there you are, Ayanokoji-kun!" A familiar voice called out to me and I turned to the food table where I saw Ichinose waving at me.

I quickly made my way towards her, ignoring the stares of others.

" Come! The food looks so good!" Ichinose said with excitement as she handed me a plate and utensils. " I haven't tried British food but this is my chance. So I'm really going to savor it."

" I see." I looked towards the selection.

It definitely looked luxurious thanks to the quality of this establishment. So it's obviously going to taste wonderful from the source alone. I took a few small sandwiches, sausage rolls, 4 mini quiches, wellington beef, and a few more savory food along the way.....and to top it all off.....I took a bowl of ice cream with jelly.

" Let's sit over there, Ayanokoji-kun." Ichinose gazes towards a lone table...

Wait...no....there was someone occupying it.

" There's someone there, Ichinose-"

" I know! But let's just go with it!" She cheered and made her way towards that table with her plate of food. I sighed and followed her with my own plate of food.

As we got closer to the table, I began making out the features of the student sitting there. It was a girl, she looked petite, and she had purple hair tied into two buns on each side. She looked bland as she slowly ate her food. Seemingly engrossed in her own thoughts.

" Hello, senpai!" Ichinose greets, jolting the purple haired girl in suprise. 

" Um, sorry! I didn't mean to startle you." She quickly apologizes, " We're your kouhais. I'm Ichinose and this is Ayanokoji." She introduces us both.

"....Oh. I know you two." The purple haired girl sighs. " Do you two need something from me?" She asks.

" Um, is it okay if we sit here?" Ichinose asked.

" But aren't there free tables over there on that side?" She points to the other side where there was indeed a free table. " In fact, you two were supposed to be seated there since that's the first year batch section." She said.

" Oh...really? Ahaha! I didn't know!" Ichinose smiles apologetically. She most definitely knew, which makes me wonder what's her true intentions on picking this table.

" But I want to get to know you, senpai." Ichinose said.

" Hm?" Our ' senpai' narrowed her eyes at us.

" Ichinose wants to get along with her seniors. " I decided to speak. " I, too, wish to know. After all, we are here to survey for a week, supposedly."

" Oh.....well....I guess that's understandable." The girl nods. " Okay then, you two may sit. A proper senpai should always welcome their kouhais." She gives us a small smile.

" Thank you." I said.

" Thank you!" Ichinose said.

We took our seats. 

" Itadakimasu." Both Ichinose and I said before eating our meal.

" Hey, senpai. You never told us your name." Ichinose said after a moment. " May we know your name?" She asked.

" Oh...right." The senpai coughs awkwardly. " My name is Tachibana Akane." she said.

Tachibana Akane....

My eyes slowly gazed at Tachibana with interest. Something feels off. 

" Tachibana-senpai. Pleasure to meet you." Ichinose said.

" Same here, Ichinose-san. Ayanokoji-kun." She responded kindly.

" Well then! Now that introductions are officially over.....there's actually a question I want to ask you." Ichinose said with smile I'm familiar with.

" What is it?" Tachibana asked, curiously.

" Tachibana-senpai, are you a second year? or are you a third year?" She asked.

" Me? Well, I'm a third year-" Tachibana was about to respond until I interrupt her,

" You're a fourth year, aren't you?"

I stared at her with a serious expression. I hear Ichinose giggling beside me and muttering, " I knew you'd understand~"

"...." Tachibana wore a frozen expression. She was in disbelief and she didn't know how to respond. But that was all the confirmation we needed.

I see. So this is why Ichinose chose this table. Isn't it weird that this ' senpai' is sitting alone, isolated from everyone else? Not only that, but when Tachibana mentioned the first year batch section, I immediately began to search for the other years sections. I managed to spot the second year, which was completely occupied, and the empty third year section which is mysteriously left like a desert....

And then we have Tachibana....who is seated on a table far away from the aforementioned sections.

Ichinose noticed this detail faster than me since she arrived earlier. She fully intended to come here, but waited for my arrival. 

" W-What are you talking about?" Tachibana asked with a nervous smile.

" Please don't lie to us, Senpai. It's useless~" Ichinose singsonged. " You made things way too obvious for yourself!" she said.

" ....Tsk." Tachibana's facade cracked. Her smile drops and she wore an annoyed expression. 

" Fine....I give up." She sighs heavily.

" Think of this as a survey, senpai. I have a few other questions I'd like to ask and you're free to ignore or answer truthfully! No pressure, really. " Ichinose said in a fake reassuring tone.

Tachibana glares at her. " Make it quick."

" All right!" Ichinose pulls out a notepad from her pocket and a pen. She began writing down something.

" Question 1. We were told that we would only spend 3 years at this school and yet, an anomaly has been discovered! A fourth year. That's you. Why is that? Why is there a fourth year here?" Ichinose asked.

" I have unfinished business...." Tachibana answers.

" Ehhh? ' unfinished business'? You sound like a ghost-- wait...are you a ghost?" Ichinose asked with wide eyes.

Tachibana sighs, " No. I have unfinished business. I won't say anything more than that.....and please don't assume I'm a ghost ever again."

Ichinose nods and crosses something out on her notepad.

" Question 2. How many fourth years are there? " Ichinose asked.

" I'm the only one fourth year." Tachibana's answer suprised me. Ichinose also raised a brow in response to that.

" The only fourth year? What about the rest?" Ichinose asked.

Tachibana doesn't answer. Leaving it to us for interpretation. 

Either they chose to leave when their three years were over while Tachibana chose to stay for whatever reason....or they all perished except for Tachibana who nonetheless stayed for whatever reason.

Seeing that Tachibana wasn't going to elaborate further on her answer from the Question 2 . Ichinose quickly proceeded to Question 3.

" Question 3. Where are the third years?" She asked.

" I don't know...." Tachibana said.

" You don't know?" Ichinose asked.

" ....Well, I know where a few of them are." Tachibana said.

" Really? Would you mind telling us?" Ichinose asked.

"  I only know where 5 of them are." Tachibana says as she holds up 5 fingers.

Ichinose nods as she eagerly waits for Tachibana's answer....

" One is buried 6 feet under, two were turned to ashes, and the last three were shot and  thrown to the ocean..."

"....." 

Tachibana places her hand down.

" As for the rest? I don't know." She lets out a laugh. But it wasn't filled with twisted joy, rather it was with sorrow." I wish I did know."

"....I see..." Ichinose nods. I glanced to her expression and I saw a smirk threatening to reveal itself on her lips. How twisted.

" I'm sorry...if it was....uncomfortable to answer, Senpai. But I did say you had the choice to say nothing-"

" It's all right. I oughta be honest with you right now because it's important. After all, you two are well-aware of the devil that runs these games. And so, you must be aware that none of this is a joke." Tachibana looked at us with dull eyes.

" We're playing these games to win. To survive. That's all that matters for everyone here." She said.

" If that's the case, then why did you choose to stay?" I blurted out.

" As I said..." Tachibana leans back on her seat, " I have unfinished business."

Unfinished business, huh....

I have a guess regarding that....

I hear scribbling from Ichinose's end. Seems like she's written something on her notepad. She turns to me and smiles before showing me its content.

' Your turn.' it said.

ichinose stood up from her seat with her empty plate. She ate that quick?

" Thank you for answering my questions, senpai." Ichinose bows in gratitude, " I'll take your advice to heart. I will take my leave now." 

" Mm..." Tachibana nods.

Ichinose takes her leave but not without sending me one last glance.

.......

..............

........................

" Why are you still here? You have questions too?" Tachibana broke the silence between us.

" Why, yes. " I said. " I actually do have a few questions."

" Ask away. Get it over with." She said.

" Do you know Horikita Manabu? "

Bam!

I felt the table shook as Tachibana had slammed her hands down on it as she stood up from her seat, staring at me with a look that could kill.

" How do you know that name." She asked.

" Director Lumine mentioned it. Do you know him?"  I asked again.

"....Yes. I do." Her eyes soften. " But if you know his name, then you are aware you're asking the information of a dead student-"

" Then can you tell me about Nagumo Miyabi? The student who supposedly betrayed Horikita Manabu?" I asked.

"...." Tachibana's eyes sharpen at me again. Her composure is gone. The look in her eyes were definitely familiar to me because another student earlier in the month, had previously adorned the same gaze....the same anger.

She lifts her hands off the table and begins to push back her chair in the table. She walks to the side. She intended to leave but before she could get out of range, I spoke once more.

" Horikita Manabu seems important to you, judging by your reaction. And you seem to blame Nagumo for all of it too. " I started. I hear her footsteps stop.

I continued,

" What were you to him? Were you an ally? A classmate? A friend? or....could it be...." I turned to her.

" That you were his lover?"

Her shoulders shook as soon as those words left my mouth. So I was right. 

" I see....so that's your unfinished business then?" I asked and waited for her move.

She finally turns to me. She wore a look of contempt aimed directly towards me. She must be irritated on how easily I saw through her mask. She marches towards me until she was inches away from me.

" You better shut up now, Ayanokoji. Run your mouth off elsewhere." She spoke with venom.

But I didn't back down. " Oh my, did I hit a nerve? I apologize." I said.

" You-"

" I don't know the exact amount of pain and contempt you are currently feeling ever since his death, But there's someone in this school whose anger and sorrow you can never compare to." I cut her off.

She stayed silent. She looked curious as to who I'm referring to.

" Horikita Suzune. His younger sister." I said.

She gasps. " Suzune.....h-his sister....she's here?" She stuttered. Sympathy began showing in her gaze.

" She's here. And the moment the director told her about Manabu's death, she broke down. Like a dam full of tears was suddenly leaking non-stop. But once her sadness was drained, it was quickly replaced with anger...." I got up my chair and my figure towered over Tachibana's.

I looked deep into her peach brown eyes.

" Her eyes were filled with a certain spark of revenge. When she began suspecting the person I am, she begged for me to assist her in achieving revenge for her brother. By killing the very man who betrayed him, Nagumo Miyabi." I said.

"....You...."

" You have the same eyes as her, Tachibana. That's why you stayed. You want to get revenge for him, but let me ask you this; Do you have the resolve? " I asked.

The definition of ' Resolve' is to decide firmly on a coarse of action. Firm determination to achieve it no matter what the cost. 

".....Of course I do." She says, " I chose to stay because I'm not going to give up until he's dead." she said.

She stares back into my eyes with that same fire.

" Heed my warning; Do not trust Nagumo. " Her words wereheavy....

" You've pissed me off enough. I'm taking my leave now." she scoffed at me before turning around once more and leaving....

but she stopped again....

" Tell Horikita Suzune....that she has my condolences." Was all she said before leaving.

She says that, but there was a hidden meaning behind her tone. ' Tell Horikita Suzune....that I will make sure Nagumo pays with his life' is what she wanted to really say. How troublesome. I couldn't gain much information out of her due to her troublesome emotional turmoil, much like Horikita's. If I decided to push it further, then maybe I could've squeezed a bit out of her....

But it's more likely that she wouldn't break under such simple methods. She definitely has resolve.

I sigh to myself and sat back down.

My foods getting cold...I'd better hurry up and finish....and then use the extra time to search for Nagumo....

------------------------------------------------------------------

( 9 pm....)

Zero appearances....

Nagumo Miyabi....I wasn't able to find him at all. After I had finished my lunch, I began asking a few students that were the same year as him, but they kept deflecting my question with something entirely different.

Were they ordered to not reveal anything about him?

After that, I continued my front desk duties the whole afternoon and not once did I see Nagumo loitering around in the lobby or just passing by really. Zero appearance. I even called Ichinose to ask if she knew anything about his location since she was housekeeping duty at the  time....but she says she doesn't know where he is or anything about him either.

I wasn't sure if she was lying or whatever, but either way, it didn't change my situation.

Now I'm sitting on a stool, eating a banana in my kitchen counter. Yep, this is my coping mechanism ladies and gentleman. Stress eating.  Well...I don't necessarily feel stressed out about it as much as I thought... so it might just me being a glutton and hiding it behind the reason of ' feeling stressed out'.

Well, perhaps I didn't achieve what I really wanted today. But I did find an interesting ' fourth year', Tachibana Akane. It was something I didn't expect. I mean the possibility of choosing to stay in this hell never came to mind, because who in their right mind would extend their stay in a death situation run by a literal psychopath who could destroy you at any time?

Even if it's for a lover.....you could always find a new one, right? Or maybe it's not that easy as I'd initially thought....

Love is foreign to me. I've read about it, I've read how people would act because of it, but I find it hard to believe that such a joyful emotion could blind their logic and can cause great consequence....but perhaps that's why ' Love' is also a weapon.

Perhaps one day....I will be able to understand it more and use it to my advantage.....

" Haah....I better get some rest now. Get some energy for tomorrow." I said to myself as I washed my hands.

i made my way towards my bed, ready to hit the sack. Until my phone suddenly began ringing.

I went to it and I saw an unknown number popping up on the screen.

Who could it be...?

I narrowed my eyes as I quickly answered the call and put it close to my ear.

" Hello?" I said.

"...."

My eyes widened. 

This voice....

I've never heard of it before, but I knew exactly who the other person was on the other side of the line. Even if the voice is unfamiliar to me, my instincts were flaring up with red warnings. This voice.....it belongs to....

" Sure, Nagumo-senpai. I'll be there soon."

Nagumo Miyabi....

So you were searching for me as well...

CHAPTER END!

......Not even gonna say anything...

I am indeed a clown for violating my own promise again. Fuck.

The cote season 2 trailer just added more hype to my own hype in writing Nagumo and Kiyo's interactions in this fic.....ugh....the timing.

I couldn't help myself....

Also, in regards to the sudden developments that appeared in my life that I mentioned back when I first announced that I'd be taking a two week break...

I, KawaiiLumine, am now engaged in a romantic relationship with an actual human being!

Anyways, that's all!

I'm probably gonna clown myself again and write another new chapter but at this point imma just accept it.

I'm a slave to wattpad.

KawaiiLumine, out!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.1K 563 26
THERE ARE MORE BOOKS, BOTH BEFORE AND AFTER THIS VOLUME. READ VOLUME 1 FIRST AND THEN ADVANCE I'm bad at descriptions. The beginning has only started...
47.2K 1.7K 28
Advanced Nurturing High School or simply called ANHS is a Japanese institution funded by the government and is a top class institution as many studen...
40.1K 1.4K 9
Ayanokouji will be going to school like normal and will meet Miyuki. (Miyuki loves her brother as a brother just so you guys know) Miyuki will be the...
9.3K 421 13
Ayanokoji enters ANHS as a student to experience what life would be like as an ordinary high school student. But will he be able to live such a life?