Swim Until You Love Me

By glowing_pheonix

//๐˜ˆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ง๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ต๐˜บ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜บ๐˜ด ๐˜'๐˜ฎ ๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ข, ๐˜'๐˜ฎ ๐˜ซ๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜จ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฏ๐˜ข ๐˜ด๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ฎ ๐˜ถ๐˜ฏ๐˜ต๐˜ช๏ฟฝ... More

Authors Note
Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV
Part V
Part VI
Part VII
Part VIII
Part X
Part XI
Part XII
Part XIII
NEW STORY!!

Part IX

1.2K 13 0
By glowing_pheonix

"How's it going with you and Conrad?" Dad asked. Mom, Cleveland, Dad and I were standing at a table.

"Huh?" I asked him.

"You and Conrad? Your mom told me you were dating," he said.

I looked at mom. "I'm assuming Susannah told you?" I asked her. She nodded, trying to hide her laughter.

"So you are dating? I thought something was going on when you came by the pier the other day. He seems really into you," Cleveland said.

I felt trapped. "Uhh-"

"Hey, dad!" Steven interrupted, coming up to hug him. "Did you bring the cufflinks?"

Dad nodded and pulled out a box from his pocket.

'Hey Steven, I don't think we've officially met," said Cleveland. "I'm Cleveland."

Steven shook his hand, "Uh, hi."

"You look so handsome!" Mom said.

He blushed. "Aw look, it's all eyes on Shayla tonight. I'm just the arm candy," he said. "Speaking of which I should probably go get ready."

"I'm coming with," I said.

"What are you going to do up there?" Mom asked.

My eyes widened as I looked to find an excuse. "Umm, I have to. Go see Conrad," I said, cringing internally.

"Wait what, why do you have to see-" Steven said.

"Let's go." I spoke over him, pulling him away. When we were out of earshot, I said, "Why can't you ever catch a hint?"

"Why do have to see Conrad?"

"It's a long story."

He paused. "Umm, are you okay? You know since-"

"I'm fine, and I don't wanna talk about it."

"Suits me just fine," he said.

*****

"Kind of wish we were all doing it together you know," Conrad told Jeremiah and Steven.

"You wish we were doing a dance routine together?" Steven asked.

"No, no. No." Conrad said. I chuckled.

"I didn't mean it literally. Just that, we haven't hung out much this summer."

"Yeah, you both have been pretty MIA," Jeremiah accused, looking at Conrad and I.

"Yeah, I know," Conrad said. "But we've got a week till end of summer, maybe the three of us could go on an overnight fishing trip."

I scoffed, "The three of you? Ouch. Like can you not see me? I'm right here."

He grinned, "Didn't think you'd wanna go fishing."

"Yeah, I don't, sounds boring," I said. "Still hurtful though. You know what, maybe I'll go out with the girls. Convince them to dump your asses," I said to Jeremiah and Steven.

We all laughed. For a second, it felt like everything was how it used to be. Then I looked away, and suddenly it wasn't.

"You guys are gonna crush this," I told the boys, walking out.

*****

Belly looked stunning- an absolute vision.

Watching her walk out with Jeremiah was harder than I expected. But the pride I felt for Belly helped. A little.

They stopped in front of our table. Belly passed her bouquet to mom and curtsied. Mom gave the bouquet to Susannah.

The look on Susannah face as she smelt the flowers and looked up at Belly with stars in her eyes- it was overwhelming. Seemed like Mom felt the same way, as she excused herself. Dad followed her.

Belly looked at me with questioning eyes. I shrugged.

*****

Twisted, baby, I'm a goner,

I'm a monster, don't listen to a word I say.

The song began to play. I cheered as the escorts started dancing to it. Steven and Jeremiah were right up front, it was the most hilarious thing.

I was smiling and clapping the whole time, it felt great.

Jeremiah kept looking over at our table. At first, I thought he was looking at Belly. But as they struck the final pose, I realised he was looking at Susannah.

He knew something was up.

*****

Paige clinked her glass.

"It's starting," Susannah said.

"I don't know where Jeremiah is," Belly said. I looked around, mildly annoyed at him.

"He'll be here in a minute, I'm sure. Go, get ready," Susannah said.

I watched as Belly moved along hesitatingly, looking for Jeremiah.

I looked at Conrad with questioning eyes. He shook his head.

I dialed his number. I couldn't believe this.

"Where's Jeremiah?" Susannah asked.

"He isn't picking up," I said.

I saw Belly talk to Shayla and Steven. They shook their heads. Shayla looked at me over Belly's shoulder with panicked eyes. I mirrored her expression.

I got up to go look for him just as Belly started walking back.

Conrad crossed me and went up to her. I smiled. And then I smiled even wider as they took their places in the routine.

Happiness bubbled in my stomach. They looked like they belonged.

"Look at them. She's luminous," Susannah said.

"To Belly, Conrad is the sun. And when the sun comes out, the stars disappear," Mom said.

Jeremiah came back in. He looked crushed.

"Jeremiah honey, where were you?" Susannah asked.

"I-I ate something. I think maybe the shrimp was bad," he said. I narrowed my eyes.

"Oh honey, I'm so sorry," Susannah said. "You know the caterer's going to be hearing from me," she said to Mom.

"Okay, Karen," Mom said. I smiled to myself.

"I'll get you some ginger ale," Susannah said, getting up.

"No wait, I'll get it," I said. "C'mon, Jeremiah." I pulled him along.

I dragged him to a corner. "Okay, what gives?" I asked him.

He didn't meet my eyes. "What do you mean?"

"We both know you didn't eat something bad. Why did you just bail?"

"How does it matter?" He said darkly. "Conrad was there to save the day."

"She brought you to the ball, Jeremiah. She wanted to dance with you. But you bailed. Didn't really leave her much of a choice."

He looked away.

"Jeremiah," I demanded. "Where were you?"

He looked at me, his face half-hidden in the shadows, "I-"

The music stopped. The dance had ended.

"I'll be back," he said. "Jere-" I called after him.

He walked up to where Belly and Conrad were. I rushed after him.

"Conrad, we need to talk, alright? It's important. It's about mom. I found something."

Shit. He knows.

"We'll talk about this later, okay?" Conrad replied.

"No, its important," Jeremiah's voice shook.

"Jere-" "It's ok." Conrad and I said together.

I saw as the realisation dawned on him. "You already know," he accused. "You both know." His voice rose.

"Know what?" Belly asked.

"Jere," I said, clutching his forearm. "Not here, not now. C'mon," I said.

He looked at me, for the first time in a while. "Why didn't you say anything?" he whispered.

"I-" I didn't know what to say, I felt flustered under his gaze. I looked at Conrad.

"Oh, I get it," Jeremiah said. "You wanted it to be your little secret."

"What?"

He shook his head, pulled his arm from my grip and stormed off.

"What is going on here?" Susannah said. I was at a loss of words once more. My world was coming crashing down and I didn't know what to do. That too on Belly's special night.

"You know too, don't you?" Mom asked me.

"What do you mean do I know too?" I asked.

She looked at Cleveland and then back at me. "I know Conrad knows."

"You ratted me out?" Conrad asked Cleveland.

"You told him?" I asked Conrad. He shrugged. I rolled my eyes.

"Okay, what does everyone know?" Belly asked.

"What's going on?" Steven asked.

"Okay," I said. "This is officially too much for me. Conrad, find your brother. Mom, grab Susannah. I'm sorry, Steven, Belly, we're going home."

*****

Belly was sobbing on the bed as Mom held her.

"All summer long, I've been thinking about myself. Susannah was sick, and I didn't even know."

"That's how she wanted it," Mom said. "She didn't want to burden you kids. She just wanted one last perfect summer."

"Yeah, but Madi knew," Steven said. He was leaning against the doorway. "Jeremiah even asked me if I thought something was off. I denied it." He looked down and shook his head.

"Yeah, how did you find out?" Mom asked me.

I wiped my tears. "I kept feeling something was off with her. But I didn't know for sure until I overheard the both of you talking on the beach the day after Belly's birthday," I said. Her eyes widened. "I broke into Susannah's room looking for proof. Then Conrad came in and found out that I'd found out. And then I found out that he already knew. But then we heard Susannah come up. I wanted to go out the window, but there was no time. So he kissed me to cover it up."

"Uh, what?" Steven said.

"Yeah. And Susannah and mom told literally everyone that we were dating." I rolled my eyes.

*****

After dinner, we were all sitting in the family room. Susannah was showing us our paintings.

They were absolutely amazing.

I stretched out my hand to Susannah, as the first lines of the song started to play. "Since we were in a dancing mood," I said. She smiled, and took my hand.

Everybody loves the things you do,

From the way you talk, to the way you move.

Everybody here's watching you,

Cause you feel like home, you're like a dream come true.

We slow danced around the room, laughing with tears in our eyes as we twirled each other around. Everyone else slowly joined in.

And a part of me keeps holding on, just in case it hasn't gone.

I guess I still care.

Do you still care?

I caught Jeremiah's eye over Susannah's shoulder as he danced with Mom.

He smiled, stunning and real in the light of the family room. 

____________________________________________________________________________

A/n

The first song was I Like That by Bazzi. It was featured in the show.

The second one was When We Were Young by Adele. The song is just so intense and raw. It was perfect for the vibe of the scene and most of the lyrics really resonate with the storyline and the characters. 

Also, I'm sticking to the book's storyline- Susannah will not be undergoing trials.

Please comment and vote if you liked it!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 61 15
๐‘ช๐’๐’๐’“๐’‚๐’… ๐’Š๐’” ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’”๐’–๐’ ๐’‚๐’๐’… ๐’˜๐’‰๐’†๐’ ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’”๐’–๐’ ๐’„๐’๐’Ž๐’†๐’” ๐’๐’–๐’•, ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’”๐’•๐’‚๐’“๐’” ๐’…๐’Š๐’”๐’‚๐’‘๐’‘๐’†๐’‚๐’“.~
17.6K 227 29
This summer was different, Y/N knew that from the second she arrived at the Cousins beach house. However, is different always a good thing? Now stuck...
17.4K 229 25
Summer has arrived, but already Kristin Fisher is feeling a change in the atmosphere. From her oldest brother's bad mood, to it feeling like the who...
4.6K 62 7
"The Cousins, my favorite place on Earth. It was my second home. Every Summer, since before I was born, there was a tradition that is very sacred to...