Heroes and Monsters - A Yugio...

By Gl1tch87

The year is 2007. Eight long years have passed since the adventures of Yugi Mutou and his friends. Now this s... More

The Next King of Games
Welcome to Duel Academy I
Welcome to Duel Academy II

The Beginning

2.7K 57 74
By Gl1tch87

This work is dedicated to Kazuki Takahashi and all of the readers who gave me the courage to make this new story. I will do my best to honor the creator, the show and the community. May he find peace and live alongside the characters he made and gave to the world in the next life. So, in the words of Pegasus himself...

Let the fun begin~!

 ------------------------------------------

[3rd POV]

It was a lovely spring day in Domino City. It was the third of April in 1994. Life was abuzz in the streets with people visiting shops and mingling in the local areas, but that's not where this story first takes place. In the bustling city of New York, there was a Duel Monsters tournament being held in the city's arena. However, it wasn't like any other local tournament. Maximillion Pegasus, the creator of Duel Monsters himself, was hosting the Intercontinental Tournament alongside Seto Kaiba as his guest. This brought in a lot of eager competitors. What also made it special was the prize money that would be given to the winner. At this time, the final match of the tournament was about to get underway. The first opponent was a middle-aged man with blonde hair and an American flag bandana tied to his head. His name was Keith Howard, aka "Bandit Keith". He was the American Champion of Duel Monsters. The other duelist sitting at the table was a young boy no older than four hailing from Domino City. Bandit Keith sat there, arms crossed, with a smirk on his face waiting for the kid to make his move.

Keith: "I hope you're ready to get crushed, kid. Tell you what. If you ask nicely, then I'll finish you off fast."

Keith laughed at his own joke getting ready to draw his first cards. The young boy however couldn't help but turn his head over to his left. Watching his duel was none other than Pegasus who was the boy's hero and inspiration. He sat there, legs crossed, and hands intertwined with a smile on his face. Pegasus wore his signature red suit with his white hair covering the left side of his face. He noticed the boy looking at him and waved hello to the child. The child in turn smiled back and waved to him before drawing his starting hand. 

Kaiba: "You think that this kid can defeat that brute?"

Pegasus: "Oh, my dear Kaiba-boy. I'm about to prove it."

Kaiba: "What do you mean?"

Pegasus stared at the American intently, and with the powers of his Millennium Eye, peered into his mind. He saw his starting hand and all the various strategies running through his brain. Keith drew his first card and formulated his winning strategy. Pegasus also saw that he was planning on humiliating the poor child when he lost to inflate his own ego. With a huff, he pulled out a pen and a spare piece of paper and began writing a few things down. He folded the paper, got out of his seat, and walked over to the table much to the confusion of Seto Kaiba. The boy and Keith also noticed this as the wicked smile grew even more on the American's face.

Keith: "Oh, hey there, Pegasus. Come to watch me pulverize this kid up close?"

Pegasus: "My dear child. What is your name?"

Kota: "K-Kota, sir."

Pegasus: "Well, it's nice to meet you, Kota."

Keith: "You come to duel in the boy's place or something? Actually, you should. If I beat you, then I'll become the number one duelist in the world."

Pegasus: "I don't need to duel you. A CHILD could defeat you, Bandit Keith, and I'm going to prove it right here and now."

Kota: *shyly* "Y-Y-You really think I can do it?"

Pegasus: "No problem. Just follow these instructions and you'll win for sure."

Pegasus handed the boy the piece of paper he wrote on. Kota took and watched as his hero walked back over to the World Champion. Kota unfolded the paper and read what Pegasus wrote on it. Keith had a bead of sweat drop the side of his head nervous about trick Pegasus was trying to pull. 

Pegasus: "Hello, Kaiba."

Kaiba: "Hmm."

Pegasus: *sighs* "I do hope you're enjoying the tournament so far. Oh, I know it must seem so crude to you. Not life the holographic dueling stations your company is developing, eh, Kaiba?"

Kaiba: "I'm more interested in what you gave to that boy over there."

Pegasus: *chuckles* "You'll see soon enough."

Kota/Keith: "DUEL!"

Life Points: 2000

Keith: 'If Pegasus thinks he can throw off my game with his lame theatrics, he's dead wrong! I got this match in the bag. Then I'll watch as this kid scurries back over to his parents like the pathetic wannabe he is.' *picks card* "I summon Garnecia Elefantis!"

Garnecia Elefantis: ATK/2400

Kota: "Wow! That's a good card, but this note says that should you summon that, then I should summon my Flying Elephant in attack mode."

Flying Elephant: ATK/1850

Kota: "My monster is flying-based, so it's not destroyed by your monster's land fissure ability."

Keith: "WHAT?! NO WAY!"

Kota: "I attack you with my Flying Elephant. Since its a flying-based monster, it can fly over your monster and attack you directly."

Keith: 2000 → 150

Kota: "I end my turn, and now due to my Flying Elephant's effect; I automatically win the duel."

Keith: "WHAT?! There's no way that a snotnosed brat like you could've known I was going to play that card! Gimmie that note!"

Bandit Keith ripped the note right out of Kota's hand. The poor child recoiled into his chair afraid that he was going to get beat up. Keith's face was dumbfounded as he read the different notes on the paper for whatever move he would have made. What made it more terrifying for the American was that every scenario written on it resulted in his defeat. He dropped down to the floor accidentally hitting the table and spilling his deck on the ground. Pegasus stood up once again and walked over to the table. He smiled at Kota as he took the boy's hand and raised it into the air. 

Pegasus: "Kota is the winner!"

The people in the arena cheered for the kid's victory. Kota was taken aback by the amount of people chanting his name. He looked up to see Pegasus looking at him while still holding his arm up. He wanted to hide, but since his hero was next to him, then it wasn't so bad. Keith left the arena while Pegasus and Kaiba were up on stage waiting for the winner. Kota walked up with his parents following behind. 

Pegasus: "Congratulations, young man. You did a splendid job!"

Pegasus held out his hand to shake Kota's, but the boy hid behind his mother as his shyness was getting the better of him again. This gave the creator time to look at the boy more intently. He had burgundy red hair, ocean blue eyes, and was dressed in fancy red shirt with black pants and shoes. Both of Kota's parents chuckled at the child's behavior. 

Kaito: "Sorry for his behavior, Mr. Pegasus. He's been really excited to meet you, but he's rather shy around people."

Misako: "It's okay, Kota. Come out and shake the nice man's hand."

Pegasus: "It's okay. I don't bite. Promise~!"

The man had a big smile on his face holding his hand out to the boy. The child peeked out from behind his mother's legs and looked between him and his hand. Slowly he came out from his hiding spot and shook his hero's hand. The audience was giggling and aweing at the boy's cute behavior towards the creator of Duel Monsters. Pegasus grabbed a trophy next to the podium and handed it to Kota. He was beaming at the fact that he won the tournament and was the center of attention for thousands of spectators. Cameras were flashing left and right taking pictures of Pegasus and Kota together with the reward in the middle. One of the tournament referees walked up with a check and gave it to Pegasus. 

Pegasus: "My dear Kota-boy. Not only have you won the Intercontinental Duel Monsters Tournament, but you have also won a check of three thousand dollars! A round of applause for the young man!"

The arena erupted into an outburst of cheers and applause for the young man. He was so happy that he won, but he looked over to his parents with an asking look. Both his mother and father knew what he was asking as his mother came next to her son. 

Misako: "Mr. Pegasus?"

Pegasus: "Yes, Ms. Kota-boy's mother?"

Misako: *chuckles* "My son actually has a request for you. Kota, can you take out the thing that you brought for him?"

Kota put his hand into his pants pocket fishing out some folded paper. He gave it to Pegasus avoiding his gaze out of embarrassment. The man took the paper and unfolded it. It was a hand drawn picture of a monster Pegasus has never seen before. It was something out of a nightmare with a bony exoskeleton and wings, black skin, and huge sharp claws. It didn't have feet but rather three pointers that would suggest it levitates off the ground. What caught Pegasus's eye was the monster's face. It was in the shape of a ball with his Millennium Eye making up almost the entirety of it. He was astounded at the level of detail of the illustration.

Pegasus: "Young man, did you draw this wonderfully terrifying monster?"

Kota: "Y-Yeah..."

Pegasus: "This picture would put some of my hired artists out of the job!" *laughs* "What is it you'd like me to do with this lovely illustration?"

Kota: "Could you, umm... make it?"

Pegasus: "You would forego the prize money just to ask me for a card, little one?"

Kota: "If that's okay with you, Mr. P-Pegasus, sir."

Kaito: "You must forgive him. We are quite financially stable, so Kota here wanted to make this request of you in exchange for the check."

Misako: "If that's not okay, then we can use the check as payment for a commission, if that's allowed."

Pegasus put a finger on his chin and hummed in thought. He felt that there was something special about this boy. Kota looked up at him hopeful of what his answer was going to be. Pegasus smiled pocketing the boy's drawing into the chest pocket of his suit.

Pegasus: "Ladies and gentlemen, Kota has chosen to give up his cash prize. Instead, he will receive a custom card from yours truly~!"

The entire stadium cheered seeing Kota get such an amazing reward. With the tournament over, the people began to disperse and return home. Pegasus went back to his private island of Duelist Kingdom. Kota and his family boarded a plane bound to Domino City. Overall, it was a good day.

Pegasus: "Please ensure that my personal studio is prepared upon my return."

Croquet: "As you wish, sir."

Pegasus continued to look out the plane he was in just watching the waves of the ocean. His thoughts kept on drifting back to little Kota. For some unexplainable reason, he just couldn't get that boy out of his mind. He pulled out a locket hanging around his neck and opened it. Inside was a picture of his beloved and departed wife Cecilia Pegasus. The locket was one of the last gifts he ever got from her, and he treasured it with all his heart, but something was bothering him. He couldn't shake the feeling in his heart that something bad was about to happen.

Pegasus: 'I sense a darkening sadness on the horizon. Is my Millennium Eye trying to warn me of something?'

Back in Domino City, Kota and his parents just touched down at the Domino Airport. Kota was getting sleepy are a long flight having to be carried by his father. They got into the family car and began the drive home. The three of them sat in silence just enjoying the calm drive. About ten minutes later, the family came to a stop at the red light of an intersection. Misako turned her head to look at her husband, but she saw the worried expression on his face.

Misako: "What's wrong, Kaito?"

Kaito: "I'm worried about our son."

Misako: "Why?"

Kaito: "I'm just worried that something is going to happen to us. What will become of our little boy? What's going to happen to his dreams?"

Misako: "I know that things haven't been easy since the death of my parents, but our son will be fine. I know that no matter what may happen to us. Our baby boy will be okay and live out the best life he can."

Kaito felt relief from his wife's words. They smiled at each other before looking back to see their sleeping son holding his cards. Kaito saw that their light turned green and drove the car forward. It was all fine until the lights of a speeding truck came right at them from the left. There was no warning, no time to stop or react, as the truck collided head-on with the front end of the vehicle. The car spun out and crashed into a streetlamp as the truck swerved around before losing balance and tipping over on its side just a little ways down the street. Kota's entire deck flew out the window as the cards were carried away by the wind never to be seen again. There was only silence and darkness before the fire department and paramedics arrived at the scene. They got to work on assisting the people of both vehicles until one of them came up to Kota. He pressed a finger to his neck barely detecting a pulse. There was blood dripping from Kota's head.

Medic 1: "GET THE STRECTCHER! WE HAVE A 29-D-5! CODE WHITE!"

Two other people came over with a team of firemen. They got the door ripped off so the medics could get to the child. The first medic inspected the child to determine his condition. Afterwards, they put a head brace on him, and he was carefully put on the stretcher before being carried over to the ambulance. Medics went over to assist Kota's parents and the truck driver, but one look at Kota's parents and you could tell that it wasn't good.  

Medic 3: "What's the boy's condition?"

Medic 1: "He has a 31-D-2, but the pulse is weak. There's a head injury, possibly from the crash, and there's a good chance of a neck injury sustained from the initial impact. I'm not liking how this looks."

Medic 2: "Copy that. Contact dispatch. Let them know we are transporting an injured child to the nearest hospital. Have trauma team and the emergency room on standby."

Medic 1: "On it!"

The medics loaded Kota on board getting the medical equipment ready to treat him whilst enroute. All the other first responders were working to help his parents and the truck driver. They closed the doors and drove off from the horrible accident with sirens blaring and lights flashing. Kota was unconscious the entire drive to the emergency room. Little did that boy know that the hands of destiny were at work and will work once again upon his life.

----- Three Days Later -----

[Pegasus's POV]

I have spent the last few days in my private art studio. Inside were my other artworks that either meant a lot to me or were too important to be easily seen. I had Kota-boy's drawing clipped next to the easel and compared it to the painting I finished earlier that morning. It was sent to the digital department for finalization before being printed into a card. Now I was just sitting there admiring my work. 

Pegasus: "I think I outdid myself with this one." *chuckles* "I just might add one to my own deck."

The silence of the room prevailed with me just sitting in my chair surrounded by all of the fabulous portraited monsters. There were little monsters like Kuriboh, some of my Toon monsters, and then of course the wonderful terror that Kota gave me. The silence was disturbed by a knock at the door. I got up and opened the door to see my butler standing there with a box in hand. His face had a slight guilt-ridden expression to it which is something I don't see often. Not unless he's disturbing me or has some bad news to deliver.

Croquet: "Here you are, sir. The cards for the boy."

Pegasus: "Merci, Croquet."

He handed me the box as I inspected it. The box was slightly bigger than a Duel Monsters cards so there was room for the padding to protect it. The box itself was a rose red, my favorite color, with a black ribbon tying it together. I was giddy with excitement at seeing the boy's reaction when he gets this card and its ritual spell. I was taken out of my happy thoughts by the sound of my butler clearing his throat.

Croquet: "Sir, I'm afraid I have some... bad news."

Pegasus: "And just what could ruin this moment?"

Croquet: "It's about young Mr. Izinski, sir..."

The way he said that slightly unnerved me. His tone was far more guilt-ridden than normal, even when he knows he's giving me bad news. I could feel my heart skip a beat as my worry began to grow. Why was I getting like this over a child I only met for a few minutes?

Pegasus: "What about him?"

Croquet: "I only received the news shortly before these cards were ready. It seems the boy and his parents were involved in a serious car accident. The boy is currently in the hospital."

Pegasus: *shocked* "WHAT?! What's his condition?"

Croquet: "From what I was able to learn. Kota Izinski is slowly recovering. I wasn't able to get any information about his parents however."

To say I was stunned by this information would be the understatement of the century. When did this happen? How long has he been hospitalized? What's happened to the poor boy's parents? I gripped the giftbox in my hand. Now I know why I had that feeling of dread three days ago. It was about this incident. I take in a deep breath and recollect myself.

Pegasus: "Perpare my helicopter. I'm going to go see him personally. Which hospital is he located at?"

Croquet: "Cecilia Pegasus Childrens Hospital, sir. In Domino City."

I was walking out the door when he said that. It made me come to a dead stop. The boy that I just couldn't forget... is at the hospital I created in memory of my Cecilia? I could feel the locket around my neck growing heavier. I took it out and opened it to look at my beautiful wife. Her lovely blue eyes and that glowing smile just plucked a string in my heart. Somehow, I just knew. Something brought me and that boy together... and it was calling me to him.  

After sitting the chopper for a good long while, we finally arrived at the hospital. We came to a land, and I see a small group of people waiting by the helipad. It seems as though someone caught wind that I was coming since the Hospital Director was here personally. She greeted me with a handshake and then we proceeded inside the building. Everyone working there recognized me saying hello, waving at me, or just bowing their heads in respect. I did afterall found and built this hospital. Some of the children were in awe seeing me walking by.

Director: "It was a surprise to be sure when I heard that you were coming for a visit, Mr. Pegasus. Are you here to tour the facility? Perhaps visit the children?"

Pegasus: "Actually. I am here to visit one very special boy, and I come bearing gifts~"

Director: "Oh? And who might the lucky fellow be?"

Pegasus: "His name is Kota. Kota Izinski."

The Director's happy expression suddenly darkened. Her eyes were filled with pain with no hope in them at all. Whatever happened to that boy must've been really bad. She gestured for me to follow her. We entered the elevator and descended three floors down from the top floor. We came to a stop and the elevator doors opened. I was met with the sight of doctors and nurses going over all sorts of paperwork. I continued to follow her until we came up to a set of locked double doors. My curiosity forced me to take a look up at the sign. What it read made my heart sink a bit. 

Pegasus: "Intensive Recovery? He's in here?"

Director: "...Yes..."

She swiped her keycard and the door unlocked with a buzz. They swung open showing the doctors in their scrubs. There were a few children out and about in wheelchairs or on crutches. The feeling of dread grew in my heart as worry started to set it. We walked down a bit towards a room where a doctor was speaking to a woman in a black business dress. The Director stopped in front of a window with enough room for me to look inside the room. The sight before me broke my heart. Kota, the sweet little boy I had only met three days ago, was laying down on the bed with bandages and a cast around his head. His chest slowly rose and fell as he breathed, but he made no other movements. I turned to look at the Director and her seldom face said it all.

Pegasus: "How bad is it?"

Director: "Physically, he's okay... but the poor child is in a coma. We're not sure when he will wake up, if he will at all."

Pegasus: "A coma? How is that possible?"

Director: "A truck hit his parent's car at full speed. The boy had a neck and head injury as a result. We came to the conclusion that he hit his head as a result from the whiplash of the impact."

Pegasus: "What about his parents? Are they being treated at the general hospital?"

Director: "His parents didn't make it... Both of them succumbed to their injuries almost two days ago."

Pegasus: "That's... Well, what about the rest of his family?"

Lady: "He doesn't have any."

My attention turned over down the hallway to see the same lady in the black business dress. She had a file and a clipboard in hand. By the way she looked, the lady was no older than forty. Her entire demeanor shouted professional on a number of levels. She too had a seldom look on her face just like the Director.  

Lady: "Greetings, Mr. Pegasus. I'm with Child Protective Services. The boy here has no next of kin as his father was an orphan, his mother was on only child, and her parents died just last year. He's going to remain here under medical care for the time being. If he wakes up, then he'll be placed into Foster Care."

Pegasus: "What about adoption?"

Lady: "Until he wakes up, young Mr. Izinski cannot be even considered for adoption. So, for now, this is the best we can do."

The missus phone started to ring prompting her to go back down the hallway to answer it. My focus returned to the body of the young boy. The cards hidden away in the box I was holding felt like they were growing heavier. The special cards that I made for him. I don't know what it was, but something inside me wanted me to do something.

Pegasus: "May I go in?"

Director: "Of course, Mr. Pegasus. I'll be down the hall with the agent if you need me."

The Director left shortly after leaving me alone to enter the room. I walk up next to the bed setting the box down next to the bedstand. There was a small vase of flowers sitting there. It must have been from one of the staff here. I pull a chair next to the bed and took a seat. For the next couple of minutes, I just sat there in silence watching, hoping that the poor boy would wake up. I sighed as the guilt in my heart was starting to get heavy in my chest. 

Pegasus: 'If only I could see what's going on inside his mind... Wai--Hold up!'

I took a look out outside into the hallway really quick. No one was nearby or walking by. I came back over to the boy and took in a deep breath. A part of me actually was nervous about doing this. Using my Millennium Eye, I peered into the child's mind. There was nothing but darkness for a moment until I open my eye. I see that I'm standing in the hallway of his consciousness. The stone that constructed the corridor had a very new feeling to them. Not surprising since Kota-boy is so very young. I was about to take another step further when I caught myself in the nick of time. The hallway was falling apart with holes in the floor and walls. The stones that were once there were now floating a good distance away in the empty blackness. Proof of the damage to a comatose mind. I carefully made my way through the mess until I came upon a steel door. The doorway into his very mind and soul. I turned the handle and the door opened with a loud, agonizing creak. 

Inside was a child's room, but it was a mess. What was once decorated with bright, cheerful colors were now stained in black. Toys, books, and pictures were strewn about the room like an earthquake just went through here. In the center of it all was the boy. He was assuming the fetal position crying into his legs. I walked in and knelt next to the child. He didn't seem to notice my presence. I place a hand on his back getting the poor child's attention. The tear streaks were very evident on his face like he's been crying for hours, maybe even days. His eyes were wide open reflecting the shock within them.

Kota: "Mr. Pegasus? Why are you here? Am I sleeping?"

Pegasus: "Yes, it's me, but what do you mean by that, young man?"

Kota: "Like when Grammy and Papa went to sleep. Am I sleeping like them?"

Pegasus: "N-No, you're not sleeping. You are very much alive. Just not sleeping in the way you thought."

Kota: "What do you mean?"

Pegasus: "Do you remember what happened?"

Kota: "I... remember... falling asleep in daddy's arms. A loud noise, and then... I've been here since. Where is Mommy and Daddy?"

Honestly, I didn't know how to answer that question. If I were to answer it, then it might break his mind further than it already is. I put my hand on his shoulder and gave him the kindest smile I could. He looked at me before the waterworks started to come back. He lunged himself into me catching me quite off guard. His cries of anguish echoed in the room shaking his already damaged psyche. I wrap my arms around him patting his back to comfort him. He continued to weep into my suit, which I didn't mind, since this was just in his mindscape. It won't get my physical body wet. After what seemed like a few minutes, I pulled Kota away from me.

Kota: "Are... Are you leaving now?"

Pegasus: "No, little one. Not without you. Please hold still."

I placed a hand on his forehead and focused the powers of the Millennium Eye. I could tell that the room was getting brighter as the walls that were stained with black had returned to their natural color. Everything continued to get brighter and brighter as I focused more of my power to heal his mind. Everything faded into a golden color before my eye opened again to see the hospital room. Kota was stirring in his slumber, and I could tell he was about to wake up. I rushed out of the room and over to the main desk just down the hall. When I arrived both the Director and the Child Services agent looked at me confused.

Pegasus: "He's waking up."

Upon hearing those three words, the Director and agent, alongside a doctor and two nurses came rushing from the desk. All of us returned to Kota's room where his eyes started to open. Me and the agent stayed outside while the professionals handled the child. He groaned as he looked around the room. That's when I tapped the agent's shoulder beckoning her to follow me. She complied and we stepped away from the room so we could have a little privacy.

Lady: "What is it, Mr. Pegasus?"

Pegasus: "You said that this young man has no living relatives, correct?"

Lady: "Yes. That's right."

Pegasus: "Then I want to adopt him."

Lady: "Sir... there are rules and protocols that MUST be followed. One cannot just simply adopt a child. There are background checks, interviews, paperwork, home inspections."

Pegasus: "I am very much aware of the adoption process. I am sure that you can perform as many checks as you want and not find a single thing wrong. I am more than happy to adopt him."

Lady: "It's not just a matter of going through the process. It sometimes takes WEEKS before a couple, let alone a potential single parent, can even be considered to take in a child."

Pegasus: "Then I'll wait for as long as it takes. It doesn't change anything."

Lady: "Why are you so bent over backwards to adopt this boy? Is it because he won that tournament in New York?"

Pegasus: "I only met the boy for a few minutes, but he's made an impression on me. He asked me for a custom card instead of the large cash prize. Even his parents were willing to use the prize money for a commission if I were to have said no. To hear that this boy is now alone in the world with no family... It reminds me of my late wife. We were talking about starting a family before her untimely demise. So that's when I made a promise that if I were to ever consider adoption, then the child would have to be the one. Kota IS that one."

Lady: "I... Look, even if I personally were to be onboard for you adopting him. It's not up to me. I have some documentation here that you can sign to begin the process, but I can't promise that you will be his new family."

Pegasus: "Thank you."

The lady gave me a small stack of papers to sign to which I took out the pen in my suit pocket. I was barely into the stack when one of the nurses approached me. She was pointing to the room, and I understood what she meant by that. I walked into the room and set down the papers. The Director and the other nurse were tending to Kota. The boy's eyes moved to look over towards me. He reached out for me, and I wasn't going to tell him no. He looked very tired. 

Kota: *weakly* "Pegasus...? You're here...?"

Pegasus: "It's okay, Kota-boy. I'm here."

Director: "All things considered. I'd say that what happened today in nothing short of a miracle."

Pegasus: "Well, since he's awake now. I have a gift for you, Kota."

I nodded over to the Director who was right next to the bed stand. She took a look down and saw the giftbox. She gave it to Kota who was looking back between me and her. I motioned for him to open it and see the little treasures that I brought. Although he was clearly tired, he pulled on the ribbon letting it slide off and removed the lid. He took out the card that I made from his wonderful creation. I named it Relinquished.

Kota: *tearful smile* "Thank... you..."

Kota's eyes fluttered close and soon was in the thralls of sleep as small tears fell from his face. Understandable since his mind would be exhausted from the healing I did. He held onto the card I gave him while the Director put the lid back on the box and set it on the nightstand again. The both of us left so the boy could get some well-deserved rest.

Pegasus: "What's going to happen to him now?"

Director: "He'll stay here for a few days and then he'll be moved to our regular recovery wing."

Pegasus: "Please keep me up to date on his progress."

Director: "Of course, sir."

I turn around and make my leave, but not before seeing Kota one last time. The walk back was the same as the walk in. Little children happy to see me and staff saying hello or paying their respects. the helicopter was still on the roof, as expected. I board the aircraft and make my departure. That's when I sigh in exhaustion. I had to use a great amount of energy from the Eye to reconstruct that boy's mind. Oh well! Nothing that a good night's sleep can't fix.

----- Some Time Later -----

[3rd POV]

Much time has passed since Maxamillion Pegasus's visit to Kota at the hospital. His application for Kota's adoption was reviewed and the painstakingly long process began. Pegasus went through all the interviews, inspections, paperwork, and after nearly a month of waiting. The adoption was finally approved. Pegasus was in a limo heading over to the Child Protection Agency ready to pick up his son. After a minute of additional driving the limo pulled up to the front of the building. Outside was the agent that was there in the hospital and Kota. He was wearing some regular clothing provided to him by the service. In his hands was a backpack filled with some things he brought from his old home. The agent gestured to walk with her down the steps towards the car.

Kota was nervous. No one would tell him who adopted him. He wondered if it was going to be nice couple like his parents or if it was going to be people who were mean and scary. He and the agent stopped a couple of feet from the limo. The door opened, and Kota had a hundred different ideas of who was going to come out, but the person who did was the last one he'd even dream of. Getting out of the limo, standing there with a big smile, was none other than his hero. Kota couldn't believe it. The person who was adopting him... was Maxamillion Pegasus himself.

Pegasus: "Hello, Kota-boy."

Kota dropped his bag and raced over to Pegasus. This time however, he wasn't caught off guard. He opened his arms and embraced the child. Both the agent and Croquet, who was driving the limo, smiled at the tender moment. Kota let go going back for his things he dropped. They both got into the car and left the agent who still had a smile on her face. The limo drove on for what seemed like forever for Kota until they arrived at the airport. From there they switched from the limo to a helicopter. Kota never flew in one before, so his eyes were opened wide with amazement. They were soon in the air leaving Domino City and flying off towards Pegasus's, and Kota's new home, Duelist Kingdom. The flight there didn't feel like forever for the boy. He was staring out the window watching the ocean waves. Kota even saw a few dolphins and whales here and there leap out of the water.

Soon enough, Duelist Kingdom came into view. Kota's amazement never ceased as his eyes laid upon the castle. It was like he left the real world and entered a fantasy novel his parents used to read to him. The helicopter landed prompting Croquet to switch the aircraft off. Pegasus and Kota exited the craft to see the castle's entire staff there waiting for them. They all bowed their heads when he and Pegasus walked up to them.

Staff: "Welcome home, Master Kota."

Kota: "Home?"

Pegasus: "That's right. This is your new home, and we are your new family."

The young boy smiled at the thought of that. He thought that the world turned against him after his parents died. That there was going to be no one to lift him out of the darkness. Now here he was being welcomed into the home of his hero, now father. Some of the maids escorted the boy into the castle as they prepared a wonderful meal for him upon his arrival. Pegasus stood there for a minute watching the boy smiling at the kindness of the maids. 

Pegasus: 'Now I have more reason to bring you back, my Cecilia. Not just so we can be together again... but so Kota can know your love as his mother.'

After his train of thought finished, he hurried over to catch up to Kota. The boy hugged him and had small tears running down his face. Pegasus couldn't help but smile as well. Finally, after the death of his wife, his life felt a little more... complete. The sun began to set upon Duelist Kingdom as the hands of fate would continue to guide Kota to his destiny. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

194 0 15
Jaden Yuki enrolls to Duel Academy where he ends up making new friends.
465 9 6
W A L K A W A Y A young duelist is selected with one another to travel to Duel Academia, but when trouble starts to brew, she has to fight back an...
84.3K 1.2K 26
What would the series Yugioh gx be like, if Jaden Yuki was having a Twin sister. we gonna follow most of her story. There will be adventure, duels an...
5.8K 55 24
[5th year anniversary book] "It's the wings of fate that blinds us together." (Y/N) (L/N) is a duelist in Heartland City. He attends a school called...