LIVING & GRIEVING

By writingbytheriver

"You're going to keep living, V." Everyone thought Ivy Archer had the perfect life. Because they had no idea... More

dedication.
preface.
Ivy's playlist
01. the funeral
02. back to school
03. the party
04. emotional drunk
05. the hangover
06. grief counselling
07. the last Christmas
08. the first Christmas
09. a new year
10. beach traditions
11. finding hobbies
12. memories
13. sixteenth birthday
14. eighteenth birthday
16. come to joes
17. her keeper
18. different
19. things she doesn't mean
20. on the roads
21. gcse results day
22. leavers
23. are we friends now?
24. one perfect day
25. almosts
26. first happy birthday
27. girlfriends
28. letter to the sky
29. first dates
30. her last birthday
31. visiting hours
32. lorna's last session
33. summer
34. fireworks
35. nothing compares
36. platonic soulmates
37. family fixings
38. new boy next door
39. begin again
a note from Ivy.
epilogue.
to my readers.
acknowledgements.

15. family dinners

1.4K 24 15
By writingbytheriver

The match was actually really fun to watch. We never really went and supported the boys unless it was a big final. But I had a feeling we would be going to a lot more if Olivia got her way. She was a GAA girlfriend now she kept saying. While she and Hannah waited on the side-lines to congratulate our friends on the win, I scarpered off home as fast as I could. I was trying to avoid Quinn. He had been the star of the match, as usual. It was making it really hard to act like he wasn't there like I'd been planning to.

I couldn't believe after all this time; the flowers had been from him. I felt dumb for thinking they were ever from Harry. He was just a boy in my maths class. I had given him my first kiss, all because he let me think he sent those stupid flowers.

It now made sense that Hannah had no idea what I was talking about when I said she helped him. Instead, it was probably mine or Quinn's mum that done the meddling. They probably forced him to buy me them in the first place. I doubt his mum would've been able to force him to this year though. He said it himself; he wasn't even forced to attend my birthday this time round. So why did he send them again? I didn't get any from anyone for my seventeenth. I wondered if he heard us talking about it in the garden last night and then wanted to embarrass me by finally admitting it was him. I didn't know what way to take it. I couldn't tell if he was genuinely being sweet. Or if he was being evil.

Just as I had made it to my doorstep, I couldn't find my house key. Frantically, I checked every pocket I could think of. I must have been so flustered earlier, trying to hide Quinn's card from my friends that I had completely forgot to take my key out. I was banging on the door, praying dad or Connor would be home, but I knew it was slim chance. There was football on today and there was talk of them going to the bar together. Maybe I could walk round to our local and get a key off them.

"Ivy, what on earth are you doing?" Angela Hale popped her head out her front door, "did you lose your house key?"

"Sorry Angela, I didn't realise how loud I was banging. It's not lost I just forgot to take it out with me. I'm gonna go grab dads off him now, don't worry."

"Well, it's your lucky day. Come on in, I've just started making dinner."

"No honestly, its fine! Won't even take me five minutes to walk round."

"Ivy, come on inside."

This was not good. I was doing the exact opposite of avoiding Quinn now. I was in his house for God's sake. Angela was making dinner. I'd have to have dinner with him. Yeah, this definitely was not good, my brain confirmed it as I excused myself to the bathroom almost immediately. But I couldn't hide forever.

"Oh good, Quinn's home!" I heard Angela shout. "You'll never guess who's joining us for dinner!"

Fantastic. She was trying to ruin my life now too. I wondered if it was too late to move house and get new neighbours.

"Ivy?" Quinn looked puzzled as I appeared in their kitchen doorway.

"I forgot my house key. Angela insisted I stay for dinner."

"Right."

"I was just going to walk round and get a key off dad. I still could if this-"

"Nonsense! You're always welcome around here for dinner, go ahead and sit down. Quinn set the table, would you?"

This was going to be a complete nightmare. I quickly took my phone out and texted dad, SOS I forgot my key and the Hale's have kidnapped me, can you help? The response I got back was a picture of a pint captioned, busy, but why are you trying to escape our lovely neighbours? Eugh. Dad was no use. I didn't even reply to his message, while Angela presented a lovely roast dinner in front of me.

"This looks lovely, it's been a long time since I've had a Sunday roast," I smiled politely.

"You should come round more often for dinner, Ivy. We would love to have you. How did the match go Quinn?"

"We didn't play great, but we won. I scored a few too."

"That's great son, Ivy what did you get up too?"

"She came to watch the match," Quinn answered for me. I didn't even think he had noticed me there. I had heard boys say before they tried not to focus on the side lines. Eyes had to be on the ball at all times.

"Oh really! How lovely of you to go and watch Quinn!"

"Well, some of my friends actually play too. You know Sean, James, and Mark?"

"Yes, yes, I know of them. They're not as good as my Quinn though," she shot him a smile across the table as he glared at me.

The seating arrangement made it difficult to ignore him. Martin was working late so it was just the three of us and Angela had taken the side of the table with only one placemat. Leaving me and Quinn to sit beside each other, legs touching. It made it really difficult to concentrate on the conversation. But I could still tell he wasn't in a great mood.

"No, they're not."

"They're all great players," I argued.

"They're not great."

"I think they're great."

"Then you don't have a clue about Gaelic. They're all bang average. Mark is probably the best of the three."

"Mark was always a nice little boy," Angela joined in, sensing the tension rising between us and diffusing a possible argument starting.

"He has a nice little girlfriend too."

"Quinn!" his mum swatted him across the table, "I do not want to know!" So, it was Cliodhan he fancied. That must have been instant attraction.

"They're not together," I frowned.

"Oh great, you got her number? Maybe I'll give it a go," earning another swipe from his mother.

We made small talk for the rest of dinner, mainly between me and Angela or her and Quinn. We never spoke directly to each other. But I could feel his stare on me every time I opened my mouth. Shortly after helping clear the table, dad text me again, home now. Finally. Although, I wasn't looking forward to coming up with an excuse as to why I wanted to avoid the neighbours. I was grateful though to be getting out of this situation without Angela remembering today was my birthday.

"Well, dads back home now so I better get going. Thanks again for dinner, Angela, it really was lovely."

"You really are welcome anytime Ivy."

"I'll walk you out," Quinn followed me out of the kitchen.

"Since when do you walk me out?" I hissed.

"Since when do you come round for dinner?"

"Since when do you send me flowers?"

"Since your sixteenth birthday."

I knew it was him. But hearing him say the words made it feel completely new to me again. I wasn't even planning on mentioning the flowers to him. I just said it in the heat of the moment. And immediately regretted it. I had to stick with it now though.

"Why did you do that?"

"It was ages ago."

"You made me have my first kiss with Harry Jones, who had a girlfriend by the way, because I thought he sent you flowers."

"Didn't realise it was your first kiss, at the time. Sixteen is a bit old, isn't it?"

Great, now I had embarrassed myself even more, "screw you, Quinn."

"If it's any consolation, I was going to tell you they were from me. But you had already kissed Harry by the time you bothered to speak to me."

"Well, you didn't exactly make it obvious you sent them. There was no note."

"I left a note this time," he smirked.

"And what?'

"Harry got a kiss," he stepped forward, closing the gap between us.

We were still standing right at his front door. Angela could probably see us through the window and would wonder why I was still here. I didn't know how I was meant to react. Quinn's flirting had taken me by surprise. No matter how much of a joke it probably was. I took a step back, regrettably, as I had become blissfully unaware we were both squeezed onto his doorstep. Falling back, Quinn reached out his arms and grabbed me by the waist, pulling me back into him.

I quickly gathered myself again and stepped down, turning to walk back to my house. "Bye Quinn!" I just about managed to get the words out.

"Maybe next time, Ivy."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.3K 701 57
Love. A word that never made sense to Ivy Blanchard. Yes, she helps all of her friends with every relationship because she wants to see them happy, b...
22.7K 1.7K 85
"You ungrateful bitch. I keep a roof over your head, and this is the thanks I get?" "You could have killed her," I retort, trying to muster up confid...
26.8K 453 37
Allie was your Grade A typical Tom-boy who hid her crush on her neighbor, best friend, and mostly hero Michael James. He was a mama's boy through an...
31 0 9
Ivy Ross is a very lonely girl. Both of her parents have passed away, so she lives on her own. Ivy is 18 years old and in her senior year of high sch...