The Storm Tower | Vol.4, The...

By ldjwrites

After training for weeks with House Vaya, Makaela and Karin are sent on a quest to save a dying god. Meanwhil... More

❅ foreword ❅
prologue.
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
❅ glossary ❅
❅ also by L. D. Jones ❅
graphics & more.

20.

91 11 4
By ldjwrites

By Lumi's light, Ismael managed to nurse Han back to health. The weathermaster could barely walk and he constantly complained that his mouth tasted like ash, but it was enough to get them moving again.

Once day broke, they packed up their belongings, left their cave, and ventured back into the unforgiving snow. The frigid temperatures hadn't gotten any better. Makaela would've thought the sun would warm them, but it almost seemed like the opposite was happening.

She, Karin, and Han huddled closed together like cubs and Ismael was their papa bear. He led the way with the Andhis in hand. The cold didn't seem to be bothering him much. Then again, not much did.

Makaela staggered through the snow, her feet feeling more like cinderblocks than anything. It reached up to her calves, making every step harder than the last. The sweat beading on her forehead froze as soon as the icy air hit it. Every breath was like an assault on her poor lungs. She almost wanted to stop breathing. It wasn't like there was much oxygen up there anyways.

Grumbling under her breath, she tightened her hand around Karin's. The girl squeezed back and gave her a reassuring nod.

"We got this," the girl muttered, her voice muffled by the hood of her robes.

Makaela nodded begrudgingly. It certainly didn't feel like it.

They had been walking for a few hours now. The sun hung in the middle of the sky, beaming down on them like an observer, silently judging their movements and doing nothing to help them on their journey. She could barely feel its warmth. It might as well have been the moon.

To her side, Han struggled to keep up with her. She took his hand and gently pulled him along. They couldn't afford to stop again. There hadn't been any sign of Shades since they left the cave, but they could've been anywhere, lurking in the shadows like predators stalking their prey.

Makaela wasn't planning on being anyone's prey today.

Yama's death in Kimathanka wouldn't be in vain. They were going to find Lumi's tower and save the goddess. No stupid Shades—or Thorian, for that matter—would get in their way. She'd make sure of it this time.

While Ismael led the way, Makaela and Karin kept their heads on a constant swivel, scanning the mountain ridges looming over them on either side for enemies. They wouldn't be ambushed again.

"Are we even close to the thing?" Karin whined.

Ismael took another glance at the guide hidden within House Vaya's artifact. The miniature storm inside the orb opened, revealing the glowing map within. The monk peered at it with curious eyes and rubbed the top of his head. "Er, I'm not sure. Our map isn't exactly the easiest to follow."

Makaela screwed her face at the monk. "Wait a minute, so you don't even know if we're going the right way?"

He see-sawed his hand. "The map is vague, but we should be on the right track. I've been using the Andhis to track nearby storms—"

"Huh? Why are you tracking storms?" Karin asked.

"Hopefully it's so we can steer clear of them," Makaela added.

Ismael gave the girls a wry smile.

"Unfortunately, that is not the reason. The legends say Lumi's tower is located in the eye of a blizzard near the top of a mountain. If Madame Alizeh was right, then the tower is at the top of this mountain range. We need to find the blizzard and—"

"No." Fear stabbed at Makaela's heart once the realization set in. "No, we're not doing that." Her steps faltered a bit. Karin noticed this and turned around to scowl at her for halting their progress.

"What're you doing—"

"You're intentionally leading us into a storm." Makaela shook her head defiantly. "That's suicide!"

"Under normal circumstances, yes, it would be." Ismael pointed at the Andhis currently tucked away in Karin's satchel. "But with our house's artifact, we should be able to navigate through the storm to find the tower."

Shivering, Han joined the monk at his side. His chapped lips were tinged blue, and all the color had been drained from his face. Makaela was surprised he hadn't gotten frostbite yet. At least, she hoped he hadn't.

"Do you guys even know how to use that thing?" Makaela turned to Karin. "I mean, I saw you fight with it, but do you really know how to use it?"

The silver-haired girl snorted. "Do you know how to use yours?"

"That's...hey, I asked you first."

Makaela folded her arms. Karin had asked a valid question, though. Did she know how to use the Illumio? When Olivier had given it to her, it didn't come with any training sessions. No manual. There were no books or scrolls for her to read. While the ring might have enhanced her already powerful Lightweaving abilities, there had to be more secrets to unlock within that golden gemstone.

But that was irrelevant. If Karin didn't know how to control the Andhis, then their hopes of finding the tower would be reduced to cinders.

"Besides," Karin continued, "how hard can it be? I was able to cast some powerful lightning spells back in the village. I'm sure controlling a storm will be a piece of cake."

Makaela released a breath and watched it cloud in front of her face. "If you say so."

Karin gestured toward the snowy valley ahead. "Can we get moving now?"

"Fine. Let's go." Rolling her eyes, the Lumaian magician trudged forward with her Vayan companions.

#

While Makaela and her group resumed their trek through the mountains, the sun continued its long journey across the sky. They were a few hours away from dusk, meaning they only had a few more hours of safe traveling. Once the shadows arrived, the Shades would be at their strongest. In their current state, Makaela didn't fancy them in a fight against the dark magicians.

But she also didn't want to slow down. They needed to find the tower—and quickly. Every single minute was precious. She wasn't quite sure what was happening to Lumi, but they couldn't afford to waste time getting to her.

Unfortunately, the end of their quest didn't seem anywhere in sight. Their destination was even farther than the bleak horizon lingering beyond the edge of the white haze in the distance. A dense fog squeezed between the mountain range they were passing through, heavy and thick like smoke from an erupting volcano. It choked the air, swallowing the light around them like a bulb covered by an iron lampshade. Makaela could barely see a few feet ahead of her. Had the sun not still been overhead, she would've sworn it was evening.

The four of them shuffled forward, their shoulders brushing as they attempted to stay close to one another. Ismael had the Andhis open again, searching through the miniature clouds for the storm he claimed housed Lumi's tower. She still wasn't sure how she felt about running headfirst into a blizzard, but if it was the only way they could find what they were looking for, then so be it.

Nothing would keep her from finding that tower. Nothing would keep her from her destiny.

As they continued forward, Han slowed to a stop. He pointed a trembling finger up ahead. "Um, what is that?"

Makaela stopped as well. Karin and Ismael continued forward, both fixated upon the Andhis now in the former's hand. She squinted through the fog and sucked in a breath.

"Stop!"

For a split second, the fog thinned. Karin and Ismael froze like statues, mere inches away from the edge of a cliff. The wind howled mercilessly around them, whipping at their clothes and biting at their skin. Makaela couldn't tell how far the drop was, but she knew falling meant death.

Karin sucked in a breath as she gawked at the chasm before her. Trembling like a leaf in a tornado, she backed away from it. Ismael remained at the edge. The snowy gulf was wider than Makaela would've liked. There was no way they could jump across; she couldn't even see the other side. The fog had returned, further obscuring her vision.

Han stepped forward and performed a spell. The grey gloom spun and circulated as if someone had turned a fan on. The weathermaster called the mist toward him, allowing them all to see more than a few feet in front of them. With the fog lifted for a few moments, Makaela spotted a rickety bridge stretching across the white void. The bridge swung in the wind, its wooden panels and thick rope creaking in the brisk air.

It reminded her of the sky above—infinite and terrifying.

Karin turned to Ismael. "I am not walking across that thing."

Makaela wanted to agree with her, but she had a feeling they didn't have a choice. Twin peaks kept them confined within the valley, and scaling them was about as dangerous as treading across the bridge. There was no guarantee another route would lay on the other side either. From the look of it, the abyss stretched for miles in either direction.

Her stomach sank.

The bridge was the only way across.

"We have to," Makaela said after a period of silence.

"Are we seeing the same thing here?" Karin pointed at it. "It's surely not stable. Even if it is, I doubt it'll hold all four of us."

"We'll take turns then."

Ismael nodded. "That does seem like the safest solution—"

"Why don't we just have Makaela shadowjump us to the other side?" Karin asked.

Makaela pursed her lips. The thought had crossed her mind, but it wasn't possible. "I can't even see the other side."

"So?"

"I need to see where I'm jumping or have a good enough visual of it in my head already."

Karin's entire body deflated like a balloon. "How do we even know if the stupid thing will hold up? What if it—"

"We can't just stay here," Makaela interrupted. The bridge was the only way they could progress in their journey. She understood the risk they would be taking by crossing it, but it was a risk they would have to take. Lumi was depending on them. Everyone was depending on them.

"I don't know...." Han wrung his hands as he eyed the shaking bridge cautiously. "I'm with Karin here. That thing is not safe."

"Standing here in the freezing cold isn't any safer," Ismael pointed out.

Makaela looked around at all of them, her bright, golden eyes full of determination. "We have to do this."

Karin wiped the snow from her face. A few grumbles and curses left her bluish lips before she shook her head. She glanced at Han, who simply shrugged in reply.

"Alright, alright." She pointed at Makaela. "If we fall to our deaths, it's on you."

She'd accept that responsibility. They'd all be dead anyway.

"Well..." Han chuckled nervously. "Who'd like to go first."

Ismael stepped forward. "I'll lead the way." He peered at Makaela out of the corner of his eye. "You'll take the rear."

Her stomach twisted into a massive knot. Despite the frigid air making her skin feel like ice, she felt warm sweat beading on her temple. Karin was smirking now.

"Not so brave now, are you?"

"Shut up, Karin."

The girl laughed.

Makaela took another look at the bridge swinging in the wind. She let out a shaky breath, hoping it would take all the nervous tension building in her muscles with it. No such luck. She was still as tense as the ropes holding the bridge together.

"Alright," Ismael said while readjusting his coat. "Let's get a move on."

He went first, carefully placing a foot on the first wooden panel. Once he was certain it would hold, he went forward. Both of his hands gripped the rope barrier on either side. The bridge leaned slightly as he moved across. Somehow, someway, it remained upright. It hadn't collapsed. Not yet.

Han went second. He limped behind the bald monk, staying close behind. The bridge was still holding up, much to Makaela's surprise. But the wind was beginning to pick up now. The fog choking them got thicker. She swore she felt the temperature drop too.

Karin took another look at the bridge before glancing at her. An uncertain look settled on her face, slightly masked by the snowflakes gathering beneath her eyelids and around her mouth. Finally, she allowed a nervous smile onto her lips.

"See you on the other side, Kae."

Before Makaela could retort, the Vayan magician began her perilous voyage across the bridge.

She watched the silver-haired monk cautiously step from plank to plank, testing the integrity of the wood before skipping along. She moved lighter than the wind, barely disturbing the bridge as she went along. Ismael and Han were no longer in sight; both having disappeared into the fog swallowing the chasm. Soon, Karin would've vanished into the thick haze too.

Makaela needed to do the same.

Nodding to herself, she approached the bridge. She placed a toe on the first wooden panel. It held. Squeezing her eyes shut, she moved both feet on it. Seeing as how she hadn't tumbled into the darkness below, she determined it was safe enough to continue. With her heart trying to eject itself out of her throat and her vision blurred by snowflakes and wind-stricken tears, she shuffled across, disappearing into the white veil of the unknown up ahead.

#

Makaela could barely see a foot in front of her. All she had keeping her company were the chilling howls of the wind around her, the ropes underneath her gloved hands, and the creaking planks of wood holding her up.

The bridge creaked and groaned with every step she took. She couldn't see how far ahead the others were—or if they were even alive. She squinted into the fog, but that helped little. Gritting her teeth, she soldiered on. She'd know if they made it across once she did herself.

Lowering her head to shield her face from the snow cutting through the air, she continued forward. She took it one step at a time; left hand, left foot, right hand, right foot. She chanted the sequence in her head over and over. It was a welcome distraction from the bottomless abyss peeking at her through the gaps in the wood underneath her feet.

After what felt like an eternity, she lifted her chin ever so slightly to try and find her party. The fog continued to swirl around her, obscuring her sight. She wanted to call out for them, but her mouth was full of snow. Her body trembled so hard that she gripped the ropes on either side of her for dear life. The bridge wasn't the only thing that needed their support.

Her knees quaked as a gap in the haze revealed itself. She got a clear look over the side of the railing and nearly collapsed. Craggy rocks with points sharper than spears forged by Hodvekt's revered blacksmiths peaked through the mist. She yanked her head back over the side of the bridge and forced herself to keep her eyes forward. Her heartbeat quickened and her throat felt like someone tightened their fingers around it. Silver spots dotted her vision, a combination of the lack of oxygen in the air and her nerves.

Quick, ragged breaths left her lips, crystallizing in the air in front of her.

Just get across, Makaela. Just get across.

This should've been nothing for her.

She had survived persecution from the Order of the Black Lotus for an entire decade. She faced Thorian Tedorof, the Black Lotus himself, and his Shades multiple times, even besting them on more than one occasion. She had managed to conquer her Nightling—even if she still couldn't fully call upon its abilities. She was The Light, the savior of her people—House Lumai and magicians everywhere.

This bridge didn't scare her.

Not much did these days.

With determination shining through her face like the sun, she surged on. Before she knew it, she spotted the end of the bridge just a few paces ahead. Ismael and Han stood safely on the other side of the chasm. Karin was nearing the edge. Only a few wooden panels stood between her and safety. Makaela smiled.

They did it. They had managed to cross the—

A bone-chilling, body-stiffening crunch permeated the air.

Makaela's foot went clean through a rotted plank. A cry was ripped from her throat as both legs slipped through the= opening. Eyes bulging, her entire body dropped as if gravity was personally yanking her down. Had she not spread both arms out to catch herself, she would've been tumbling downward with the piece of wood dropping to the earth.

"Makaela!" Karin shouted. She turned around and began making her way toward her. "Hold on!"

But every step the girl took made the bridge wobble. Makaela held onto a wooden panel, but the snow on her fingertips made her grip slippier than polished metal.

"Stop!" she yelled back.

Karin did as she was told. Her wide, stormy eyes stared back at her as she watched helplessly from just a few yards away. Han and Ismael had rushed to the beginning of the bridge, but there wasn't anything either of them could do from where they stood.

There wasn't anything anyone could do.

It took every ounce of strength Makaela had to keep herself from falling to her death. The tendons in her neck strained like suspension cords seconds away from snapping. Groaning, she desperately tried to pull herself up. She almost got her chin above the wooden panel before her arms nearly gave out.

That was when the whispers started.

The Nightling—previously asleep and tucked away in the deepest, darkest part of her psyche—begged her to let it in. It begged her to let it save her. To save them.

For so long, it had been silent. Her head had been clear for the longest period since it had awakened that night in Minerva's shop. But there it was, pleading and begging in her ears to be released. If she fell, the Nightling knew it would die with her. It was determined to survive. Makaela didn't want to let it out. She didn't want to give in. That's what it wanted—for weeks, it had been waiting on a moment of uncertainty, for a single lapse in her concentration and will. Before she would fight it. Before she would win.

But not this time.

This time, she let go.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

199 23 15
Forced to embark on a journey to the human world for a mission, fairy sisters Xhyrah and Xhamirah concealed their identity as they ventured on an adv...
27.3K 1.5K 50
Mary loved the villain from her favorite comic book series for years but always thought it was nothing more than admiration. It isn't until she lets...
1.6K 96 43
Zain has been locked away for all sixteen years of his life. When his uncle offers him a spot at his prestigious magic academy, Zain jumps at the cha...