Cursed Bonds

By TheAlchemist77

The Twins search for a cure to their accursed father's dark lineage. Traveling throughout Koruo, they hear wo... More

The Twins
Beware the Shadows
The Sweet Taste of Rum
Brewing Storms
The Ice Queen Tavern
Jumping at Shadows
House Blackwood
A Change in Plans
Outnumbered and Surrounded
Wise Guys and IcePicks

I'm a Warrior

15 4 28
By TheAlchemist77

Devyn glared at his breakfast of sausage and fried eggs. He wasn't so much as angry about the flavor. In fact it was quite delicious. His anger stemmed towards Wayne, who sat at the opposite side of the table. Devyn was annoyed Wayne had gone galavanting around town during the night. He hadn't spoken a single word to him since they had gotten into an argument over Wayne's shopping trip. In his mind his brother had lied about waiting until the morning. Though Wayne explained that he had followed a group of thieves to their hideout, then decided to search for the magic shops in town. Devyn didn't believe Wayne, he knew better. Wayne had planned on going out that night by himself whether he had seen the thieves or not.

"How long are you going to be angry with me?" Wayne asked as he took a bite of a sausage.

"As long as I wish to be," Devyn grumbled and stabbed his fork into his last sausage.

Wayne frowned, he didn't think Devyn would be so annoyed that he had gone out. Devyn could be a little overprotective but Wayne didn't realize he had betrayed his brother's trust by going out alone.

"I'll be going to check out the magic shops today. Alone. You go get some rest. I need some time to myself anyway," Devyn said as they finished their meals.

"I can come along. I'm not all that tired," Wayne lied, he was exhausted. After a full night of running around town he could use the sleep.

"No. You look like hell. Go get some rest. I'll be back later this afternoon," Devyn replied.

Wayne sighed, perhaps his brother was right. Besides, when Devyn was annoyed with him it was best to give him his space. Wayne left their payment for breakfast on the table and started heading for their room while Devyn left the tavern.

Devyn stepped out into the cobblestone street. A few people were walking along it's path, some heading to the docks to buy fish for their market stalls. Devyn went the opposite way, heading towards the market district.He noticed the snowstorm had let up. He was glad he told Wayne to stay put, the sun was starting to peek through the clouds.  Wayne had already told him he searched a shop called The Bubbling Cauldron. So he quickly passed that one as a group of guards stood outside the door speaking with the owner. Devyn could only grin as he thought of his brother's midnight burglary.

He made his way to the shop Wayne had recommended next on the list, The Magic Box. The building was built in between two other buildings. One was a bookstore, the other was an ink and scroll shop. As he stepped inside The Magic Box he wrinkled his nose at the odd smell. Spell ingredients hung from the walls and lined the shelves. A few magic items were in cases in the middle of the room. An elderly man wearing a blue and green robe sat behind the counter.

"Welcome, have a look around. Any questions just ask. My name is Richard," Richard announced as the door closed.

"I was wondering if you might have an amulet? One with a ruby in the shape of a fang. I was informed one might be found here in FrostHold," Devyn asked as he walked to the counter.

Richard's wrinkled face scrunched together as he tried to recall whether or not he had seen the amulet. "I'm afraid I haven't seen one like that around here."

Devyn sighed and began looking around. Even if the shopkeeper hadn't seen the amulet, it would still be beneficial to look around.

"I'm curious about that gourd you where on your belt. Is it by chance magical?" Richard asked.

" Yes it is. I recently acquired it from a friend," Devyn replied as he noticed a cloak  in one of the cases.

"Interested in selling it?" Richard asked with a slight glint in his eye.

"No sir, I am quite fond of it. Perhaps in a few years when I've grown tired of it," Devyn answered, he was beginning to grow tired of the conversation.

"Perhaps I could make a trade with you?" Richard said. "Any item in the shop."

"I thank you kindly for the offer, but as I said before I have no intention in selling or trade," Devyn said.

"Very well," Richard said sounding quite disappointed.

Devyn noted a few items in the shop and quickly took his leave. As he continued his visits to the other shops in the city, he encountered the same answer as before. None of the shopkeepers had seen the amulet. Devyn walked the streets with his fist clenched at his sides. He was thoroughly annoyed. He had hoped he could find the amulet by himself. After Wayne's midnight scouting, Devyn wanted to return with the amulet to rub it in Wayne's face. To Devyn it would serve Wayne right for not waiting until morning. Devyn took a sip from his flask as he passed by a warehouse.

"Hey you. Yeah you. Come over here for a second." A man said at the corner of the warehouse.

Devyn was confused, he looked back to make sure the man wasn't speaking to someone else. To his surprise no one else was walking along the street. He approached the man cautiously. He was a short, stocky gentleman. His face had a few scars.

"What do you want?" Devyn asked dryly.

"You seem like a capable young man. Ever been in a fight?" The man asked.

"A few," Devyn replied.

" Alright good. I been trying to find someone for the arena later today. You could make some coin if your interested? You can call me Edgar by the way," Edgar said as he jangled a coin purse at his waist, indicating a fair bit of money.

Devyn had never been known to shy away from a fight. He was interested, not that he needed the money. To him the offer to compete in a fighting arena was just for fun.

"Sure, when and where?" Devyn asked.

"Just before sundown, the arena is under a tavern known as The Drunken Boar. Order the Fighter 's Special at the bar and the bartender will show you from there. Pleasure meeting you." Edgar said and then quickly walked away.

Devyn was curious. It felt like a trap. But even so, he didn't really mind if it was a trap. It would get his mind clear and if they tried to kill or rob him, he'd get to enjoy some fresh blood. He decided not to tell Wayne about this, still annoyed Wayne had left him last night. He had a few hours left until sundown. He walked the streets for a while.

After asking a local where he might find The Drunken Boar, the local pointed him in the general direction. The Drunken Boar was in the more run down part of the city. This further increased his suspicion the whole thing was a trap. But, he carried on anyways. He passed by beggars in the street begging for coin or bread. Devyn despised beggars, he thought them weak individuals who should make their own path in life, instead of having someone hand it to them. Though he was glad to see them. No one notices a beggar going missing during the night.

After taking a few wrong turns, Devyn  finally made his way inside The Drunken Boar. The tavern was mostly empty. A single customer sat at the bar, he was asleep after apparently drinking too much. Devyn sat at the bar and the bartender came to take his order.

"What can I get for you?" The gruff looking bartender asked.

"I'll have the Fighter's Special." Devyn said.

The bartender nodded and signalled Devyn to follow him. He and Devyn went into the back room behind the counter. Kegs of ale and various wines sat on the floor in the tavern kitchen. The bartender looked behind him to make sure Devyn had followed and rolled one of the kegs, apparently empty, across the floor. Underneath revealed a trapdoor.

"Right this way. They're just about to start." The bartender said as he lifted the trapdoor.

Devyn looked down into the trapdoor. He could see light coming from the basement below. He glanced at the bartender as he stepped into the ladder leading to the basement.

"Good luck kid," the bartender winked as he shut the trapdoor.

Devyn made his way further into the basement as he walked through a narrow hallway leading into a room. He could hear yelling coming from behind the door as he approached. He knocked on the door. A peephole slid open at his knock, then the door quickly opened. Edgar was standing in front of him.

"Good you made it. One of the fights is in progress. I'll let the master of the arena know your here. Check your weapons at the table, don't worry you'll have them back when it's over." Edgar said as he gestured to the table near the door.

Devyn placed his various weapons on the table as he watched the fight in the middle of the room. Two dwarves were currently throwing devastating blows at each other. People crowded around the stage calling bets and cheering for their champion. Devyn frowned as he unstrapped the Azure Gourd from his belt. He didn't like leaving it behind.

"Don't worry I'll make sure you get it back," Edgar said as he noticed Devyn's hesitation to put the Azure Gourd on the table.

" Do you want to wrap your hands?" Edgar asked as he pulled strips of linen from his pocket.

"No need," Devyn replied.

"Well then I guess just wait until your name is called. By the way what was it again?" Edgar asked.

"Devyn, Devyn Blackwood," Devyn said as he turned around to watch the dwarves fight.

Devyn was impressed. He'd seen dwarves fight before but, they usually had weapons. The dwarves in the arena fought bare knuckle. Each traded blows that Devyn assumed would knock out an ogre. After a few vicious hooks from one of the dwarves the other fell to the ground, knocked out. A few in the crowd groaned while others cheered, apparently most had bet on the winner. The master of the arena called the fight, then announced the bets to be paid out.

"Next up, we have a new contestant against the champion, Horus Stormbringer! Come on up here Devyn Blackwood! Place your bets! We're in for a show here tonight folks!" The arena master shouted with a great deal of showmanship.

Devyn stepped up onto the stage. He took off his cloak and shirt, revealing his pale scrawny frame. He threw them onto his corner of the arena and stepped into the middle.

"Well folks I think I know who I'd bet on," the arena master said as he stepped from the stage.

The crowd immediately started shouting their bets on the dwarf, Horus. Many commented on how Devyn's skinny ass wouldn't last three seconds against Horace. Devyn only grinned at the comments and faced off against his opponent. Horace had just finished drinking a tankard of ale that was brought to him after his last fight. He wiped the froth from his beard and grinned.

"You sure about this lad? Not to late to back out now," Horus said.

Devyn did not even respond. He simply gave the dwarf a smirk and put his hands up ready to fight. Devyn crouched low as he put himself eye level with the dwarf. He could see determination set in Horus's eyes.

Horus snorted and said "Your funeral."

Horus started the fight with a quick jab. Devyn took a quick step back and countered with a jab of his own. The jab landed on Horus's chest. The dwarf grunted and took a step back.

"Stronger then you look eh kid," Horus said as he went in with a fake jab and followed with a right hook.

Devyn didn't fall for the jab. He blocked the hook with his left arm and punched the dwarf in the face. Blood spurted from the dwarf's nose. The crowd groaned. Horus recovered and landed a blow to Devyn's stomach. Devyn doubled over for a moment, quick to sidestep an incoming jab. Devyn could smell the dwarf's blood. He reminded himself this was a brawl, no fangs allowed. Recovering from the jab to the stomach, Devyn faked a right hook and crouched low into an uppercut. Horus saw it coming and stepped back just before the hit landed. Devyn pressed on. He threw several jabs in succession. Horus could only block as Devyn savagely pressed the attack. 

The crowd cheered as the fight went on, many had begun placing bets on Devyn. Several in the crowd shouted advice and encouragement to Horus. Horus lowered his guard and went on the offensive. He threw a jab followed by a left hook, aiming for Devyn's ribcage. Devyn took the hits, grunting with pain as the hook cracked a rib. Horus, encouraged by the success, sent a series of jabs at Devyn's chest. Devyn blocked but wasn't able to counter anything. He took a step back and took a deep breath. Horus took the moment to do the same and wipe the blood running from his nose. Devyn's mouth watered at the sight of the blood still flowing from the dwarf's nose.

No. calm yourself. Not here. Devyn thought to himself as he charged the dwarf.

Horus was surprised by Devyn's aggression and had to put up his defense in order to stave off most of the blows. Devyn landed a vicious right hook into the dwarf's side, he heard the bones crack. His own ribs had just recently repaired themselves. He could hear Horus's short breaths and pressed his attack. The crowd went into an uproar as they all heard Horus's ribs break, many hung their heads wishing they had changed their bets.

Horus wasn't out of the fight yet. His breaths were shallow but he continued to defend against Devyn's furious blows. Seeing an opening, Horus countered another hook going for his broken ribs with a jab to Devyn's face. A loud snap erupted from Devyn's nose as the bone broke and sent blood dripping down to his lips.

Devyn licked the blood from his lips and grinned. He was enjoying the fight. Wayne never wanted to spar with his bare hands. Horus was an opponent of equal skill. Devyn's only regret was the dwarf lacked Devyn's vampiric regeneration. But Horus more than made up for it in terms of raw power.

Horus grinned back at Devyn as he went on the offensive. He threw another fake jab followed by a right hook. It was his first and last mistake. Devyn recognized the fake and countered the hook the same as before. But this time he changed his counter jab into an uppercut. Horus took the hit square in the jaw. His eyes rolled into the back of his head. He stumbled backwards and fell to the ground.

The arena master was on the stage in an instant, announcing Devyn as the winner. Those in the crowd that had changed their bets cheered as Devyn held up a fist and yelled.

" I'm a Warrior!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

694 3 9
This story takes place on a magical world inhabited by humans and a race of beings known as demons the two races are divided by a mysterious barrier...
116 0 50
Twins West and Paisley just learn that they are not just like any ordinary twins. They are from a different world that they never knew existed. One o...
69 1 8
A duo of adventurers cast into an unknown world, their fates intertwined. As the dawn of a new path in history arrives, the gears of fate are set in...
224 4 38
When the Tree of Life is found within the Elven territory of Fallburne, a storm begins to brew. After all, the tree's sap is said to give immortality...