A Bad Start - A Story By Fari...

By Ladyfaree

'No, it can't be. It really is a joke, right?' Shazia asked under her breath, looking at the other women for... More

Chapter 1 - A Bad Start
Chapter 2 - The Promise
Chapter 4 - The Flashback
Chapter 5 - Pearls Bistro
Chapter 6 - Husna
Chapter 7 - The Confession
Chapter 8 - The El-Muneer Story
Chapter 9 - From Tanko To El-Muneer
Chapter 10 - The Portrait
Chapter 11 - Goodbye!
Chapter 12 - Shazia Meets Amir
Chapter 13 - Crash!
Chapter 14 - Cairo
Chapter 15 - Oh Adila!!
Chapter 16 - Mrs. N
Chapter 17 - The Abduction!
Chapter 18 - Shaleed Or Khazia??
Chapter 19 - Fate
Chapter 20 - Amir And Shazia
Chapter 21 - Mujaheed!!
Chapter 22 - Life
Chapter 23 - Shazia El-Muneer!!
Chapter 24 - The Appointment
Chapter 25 - Mr. And Mrs. Aadeel
Chapter 26 - PayBack..
Chapter 27 - Fahad El-Muneer
Chapter 28 - Forgiveness
Chapter 29 - The Mask Party
Chapter 30 - Decency!
Chapter 31 - Marital Bliss
Writer's Note 💜

Chapter 3 - The News

66 11 4
By Ladyfaree

Naeem's Apartment - 8:30pm

15th October, 2018

Fatima walked into Naeem's parlour saying the salaam. Naeem was lying on a couch, lost in thoughts.

Naeem's apartment is in his father's compound. It's a 2 storey building designed by Naeem himself. One look at the interior and you'll understand it was designed by a first class architect!

'Good evening Yaya'. She greeted, placing a tray on the table in front of him. That was what drew his attention to her.

'Where are your manners, Fatima? Can't you ask for permission before coming in?'. He asked, frowning.

'But Yaya I did. Maybe...'. She tried explaining.

'Please I am not in the mood. Just leave. Now!' He yelled.

'I am sorry, you didn't come for dinner and Umma said I should check up on you so I thought you might be hungry and I brought you food'. She explained, her eyes welling up with tears. He only nodded.

'Goodnight Yaya'. She said, walking away.

'Fatima'. He called. She turned to face him. 'I am sorry'. He apologised. She smiled and left. She was already used to his attitude. 'But since when did Yaya start apologising?'. She wondered.

He hadn't been himself all day. Something was definitely messing with his mind and he couldn't point a finger at it. He shrugged, opening the food warmers Fatima kept. There was Shepherd's pie, spaghetti bolognese, chicken pepper soup and fruit juice in a jug, all his favourites but he didn't have an appetite so he only took the juice. He turned his dinner into storage containers and kept them in the refrigerator.

Naeem got ready for bed. 'My phone has been off all day, let me turn it on before sleeping'. He thought. The first message he read was Aadeel's.

'Hey man, I've been trying to reach you all day. Hope you are okay. See you tomorrow'.

Naeem kept back his phone without replying to any of his messages, he really wasn't in the mood!

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

Shazia's Section - 9:00pm

Her section consists of a parlor, two massive rooms, a prayer spot, a beauty parlor, a kitchenette and her study/library. Each room has a walk-in closet with a dressing room and an in-ground hot tub. One room is all white and the other room is white and black.

Shazia had her night bath, performed ablution and prayed a nafl (optional) Sallah at her prayer spot. She talked to Allah SWT for a long time, crying and pleading with Him to ease her pains and grant her what was best for her. She felt happier as she stood up to fold her praying set. It was as though a light burden was taken off her chest. She finally went into her white room, changed into her Pyjamas and laid herself on her bed.

Shazia shut her eyes to sleep, trying so hard not to relive the events of the day.

Earlier that day - At Breakfast

'Shazia, there is something really important we want to discuss with you'. Alhaji El-Muneer declared, as soon as they were done eating.

'Okay Abby'. She felt uneasy.

'You've gotten admission into The American University in Cairo (AUC) for your Master of Science in Architecture (Msc) Degree'.

'Cairo?'. She asked, tears streaming down her face.

'Yes baby, Cairo'.

'But Abby, I don't want to go there. Please don't make this decision for me'. She pleaded, amid sobs.

'We feel a change of environment will be good for you, Shazia. You've been through a lot lately and a new environment is what you need. Believe me when I say this, it wasn't an easy decision for us to take but as it stands, this is the only option we have'. Her mother comforted her.

'Ummy please. Don't send me away. Please Ummy, I really don't want to leave'. She kept pleading.

Fahad calmly walked into the dining room, saying his salaam. Shazia immediately ran towards him crying and he took her in his arms.

'Yaya, do you know that Abby and Ummy plan on sending me away? Yaya, they are taking me to Egypt'. She complained, crying really hard. He kept quiet for minutes, gently patting her consolingly on the back. Shazia waited for her brother to say something but he didn't. 'You knew?' she asked, raising her head from his chest. Disappointment flashed across her face as she walked back to her seat looking dejected. She was alone in this! Fahad really felt bad.

'I am so sorry darling, I brought up the idea'. He apologised, pulling the chair next to her. 'You have gone through a lot and we all think Nigeria isn't the best place for you at the moment - for your mental health. A lot has happened, and we have to leave them in the past'. He paused. Shazia knew he was saying the truth but leaving home wasn't going to be easy for her. 'We feel Egypt is the best place for you so we got you one of the best schools in Cairo. Besides, you'll just be away for 2 years, I promise'.

'2 years? Yaya, 2 years?' she couldn't believe her ears. 'How will I survive without you all for 2 years? I've never been away from home'. She cried.

'C'mon darling! It's Cairo! Some other relatives are there and you'll be staying with Uncle Waleed's family. You'll still be home'.

'It will never be the same'. She sobbed. Going to visit them for a few days is different from going to stay with them for 2 whole years. 'How will I cope?'. She wondered.

'We will be coming every 2 months to check up on you God willing. We might not all come at once, but someone will definitely come In Shaa Allah (God willing)'. Alhaji El-Muneer assured.

The family comforted her with soothing words till she felt a little better.

'You'll be leaving in a week's time'. Fahad informed her. 'I am taking you there myself'.

Shazia rolled over on her bed, using her right hand to wipe the tears streaming down her cheeks. 'My Lord knows best'. She smiled through her tears, falling into a deep sleep.

'No, please don't slap me again. I didn't bump into your car on purpose. I swear'. Shazia kept pleading, trying to save herself from Naeem as he walked steadily towards her. 'Please forgive me Naeem. Please I am sorry'. Naaem raised his hand, attempting to slap her for the second time.

Shazia screamed, waking up from the nightmare. As it is, Naeem's slap isn't the least of her problems as she thought.

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

Zayyan Residence - 16th October, 2018

Alhaji Zayyan and his wife Hajiya Saudah were blessed with five children, Maryam, Naeem, Zainab, Khadija and Fatima. Maryam and Zainab are married with 3 and 2 kids respectively. Naeem being the only son was a totally spoiled brat when he was much younger. But with good company like Aadeel's, he got a 'bit' better with time. He still doesn't get along well with his sisters though, but at least he doesn't treat them as bad as he used to.

Alhaji Zayyan, a businessman, is moderately rich. But his wealth can never be compared to Alhaji El-Muneer's!

The family ate breakfast in silence while Naeem played with his cutlery, not having much of an appetite. His mother observed him a little longer before breaking the silence.

'Naeem'. She called, but there was no response. 'Naeem!'. She said a little louder, tapping him on his shoulder.

'Yes Umma. Sorry'.

'What's on your mind? Why haven't you touched your food?'.

'Nothing Umma, I am okay'.

'Are you sure Naeem? There's definitely something on your mind, I've been observing you since yesterday, you haven't been yourself since you got home. And you were not even here for dinner which is so unlike you'.

'Yes Umma, I am okay'. He assured her, standing up from his chair. 'I'll take my leave now, I am almost late for the meeting'. He politely excused himself.

'Be safe'. Umma waved.

Alhaji Zayyan shook his head and continued his breakfast. He knew something was definitely up, he could tell. And he had a bad feeling about it. 'Naeem is old enough to handle things himself'. He thought.

NZ Architects - 9:15am

NZ Architects which stands for 'Naeem Zayyan Architects' is a medium Architectural firm Alhaji Zayyan established for his son in 2015. It has 2 managing directors, Naeem and a renowned Architect Alhaji Zayyan was able to convince to join the firm in 2016, Khaleed. Khaleed and Naeem are age mates so it didn't take long for them to become good friends. Besides, Naeem knows he needs Khaleed's expertise so he tries to be the best version of himself.

The mechanic came to the office and left with Naeem's car for repair. Naeem walked into the entrance frowning as he always does, ignoring the members of staff greeting him. The ladies were all trying to throw themselves at him as they always do.

'The unfriendly managing director is here! I don't know why he is always with a straight face'. A female staff member, Salma, whispered to her friend.

'He doesn't even respond to greetings, how will he ever notice us?'. Another lady, Aysha sighed.

'But I still love him that way'. Salma blushed as they clapped.

Naeem stopped in his tracks and stared at them in amazement. He shook his head and continued walking towards the elevator. They didn't deserve his attention! The elevator door opened and he entered.

'Do you think he heard that?' Aysha asked.

'Your mouths will put you both in trouble some day'. Muhammad warned.

'Do you know that some guy slapped Shazia El-Muneer yesterday on Isa Kaita'. Salma brought up a new gossip.

'Wait what?' A guy asked.

'Yeah, so I read on Instagram. He's got some nerves'. Another guy commented.

'And she just walked away? Where were her escorts? Why didn't they beat the hell out of the guy?'

'I heard she stopped them. But I don't think the issue is over, I heard her brother doesn't take any issue to do with her lightly'.

Everyone was interested in the gossip and they all kept talking about it for a long time. It's about Shazia El-Muneer, who wouldn't be interested?!!

All members of the board of directors were already seated in the boardroom and the meeting started immediately after Naeem took his seat. He was the only person they were waiting for.

Naeem seemed distracted throughout the meeting and everyone noticed but no one said anything.

'Naeem! Naeem!!' Khaleed called, tapping him on the shoulder. Naeem turned to look at him without a word. 'The meeting is over'. Khaleed informed him standing up, to which he only nodded. 'Are you not coming along?' Khaleed who was already at the door asked, when he noticed Naeem still on his seat.

'I'll stay here for a while'. Was all he said. Khaleed understood Naaem wanted to be left alone so he didn't say a word more.

Naeem stayed in the Boardroom throughout that day doing nothing and only stepped out when the mechanic returned back the car. He closed for the day early and headed back home.

End of Chapter 3..

So Shazia is leaving for Egypt in a week's time..

What could be bothering Naeem?

And Shazia is having nightmares about Naeem? 😳😳 He really didn't try. I mean who slaps a lady? A total stranger for that matter 😪🤧

Please don't forget to vote, like and share.

Thank you 💜

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

599K 32K 54
💞Winner of Infinity Awards 2018👑💞 Assalamualaikum and hii everyone thanks for choosing my book to read. hey don't worry I'm not going to bore you...
311K 19.9K 46
She loved him. He loved another. She was ready to die for him. He pretended to be oblivious to that. She was...
13.6K 4.9K 43
Misfortune. Easy to pronounce yet difficult to face. * *blurb* "In the dim light of her room, amidst a storm of emotions, she shatters her glasses...
6.3K 369 20
"Are you really going to talk to Abbu?" She asked being serious after some time and I nodded my head. "Yep. I can try, right? I know there is 0.1% c...