The Complication

By CharlieFenwick

"Am I the 'complication'?" Data asked. Following the events on Ligon II, Data struggles to reconcile the disc... More

The Complication
The Variable
The Regulations
The Holodeck
Blue Skies
Moonbeam
The Cherry
Indubitably
Promise Me
Three Words
The Hunt
Speckle
The Truth
Memories
The Storm
Justice
The Heist
Home
Questions
Family
Nine Decks or Ninety-Thousand Lightyears
The Game
In The Shadow Of The Moon
The Hearing Part One
The Hearing Part Two
The Hearing Part Three
If You Give a Tribble a Piece of Grain
The Ruling
Angel One
Angel One: Part Two
The Romulan Incident
From Romulus With Love
Time In A Bottle
Keep A Cool Head
Down the Rabbit Hole
When It Rains, It Shines
Dissonance and Resolution
The Unknown
Parents
The Reunion
The Little Things
And Miles to Go Before I Sleep
Why?
The Sweet Taste of Chaos
Train Ride
The Finite Nature
The Command Conference
The Distraction
The Ghost Ship
The Battle Within
The Big Goodbye
Datalore - Part One
Datalore - Part Two
Hope Lies In Dreams
Hollow Pursuits
The Void
Beneath the Surface
What Lurks Below
The Joke's On Me
The Joker Is Wild
Too Short a Season
The Priority
All Things Bright and Beautiful
Life As We Know It
All That Glitters
The Appendix
Blast From The Past
The Petty Bickering
Bit of Sunshine
Requiem For a Butterfly
Keep the Home Fires Burning
The Cold Truth
The Shield
With Great Power...
Shadow
Mummy Dearest
All Kinds of Weather
Bosom Buddies
Coming of Age
The Uncertainty Principle
The Secrets We Keep
Heart of Glory
Honour Amongst Friends
Arsenal of Freedom
Diabolus ex Machina
The Workbench of Prometheus
Evermore
Sucker Punch
Conquest
As Luck Would Have It
Fortune Favours the Bold
Nature Boy
Stardust
Normal Parameters
Drop the Shields
In the Club
The Late Lieutenant La Forge
Captain, Simple Tailor, Romulan Spy
When Time Runs Out
Two Roads Diverged
Linger On Your Pale Blue Eyes
The Heart Thief
One Minute to Midnight
Blackstar
The Road Not Taken
No Win Scenario
Wander
Untamed
Promises Made...
... Promises Kept
Interlude in the Neutral Zone
Just In Time
Long Before You Miss Me
Softly as I Leave You
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
Old Friends, New Enemies
Countdown

Try A Little Tenderness

31 4 25
By CharlieFenwick

Author 's Note: Eek! I cannae begin to tell you how excited I am for this chapter. First off, Data and Tasha are finally going to have a long-overdue conversation. We've been building to this for a while. Best of all, they won't be doing this alone.

It's another long chapter. I was hesitant to break it into 3 parts in order to keep with Chapter 70 being our Measure of Man tie in.

Secondly, this chapter means we get to move into The Appendix! It's a fun storyline that I really hope will bring a smile to your face! And the groundwork for the chapter is laid in this When the Bough Breaks storyline. 

Thank you all for your support on this journey. This story has been my lifeline through lockdown, and I adore reading all of your kind words & theories, chatting about the fandom, and sharing an appreciation for our beloved couple.

-X-

Tasha could feel the tightness in her quads as she pushed herself through the final lap of her run. With the holodeck down, Tasha had set an early alarm so she could get in a run before the ship was crawling with personnel.

It wasn't the same as a holodeck, but it was enough to scratch the itch.

Tasha had never been a fan of running on the treadmills in the fitness centre. It didn't give her the same high.

Deck ten was the widest deck on the ship and so Tasha had sought it out for her morning escape.

As she rounded the curve near Ten Forward, Tasha felt incredible. Her thighs burned, her back was stiff, and her hair was matted with perspiration.

But her mind was clear.

And that was what she had desperately needed.

-X-

They were three days out from Aldea, racing back at maximum warp to a situation Tasha wasn't sure they would be able to resolve.

The Aldeans had abducted almost a quarter of the children onboard in a last-ditch attempt to save themselves from extinction.

The Aldeans were unwilling to compromise. The Enterprise had no diplomatic recourse. They were so technologically outgunned, there was no possible way they could extract the children and fight their way out.

It not only broke her heart to watch the parents onboard suffer – the situation with Aldea had touched a nerve.

It had been a sore spot, lingering just below the surface for over a decade. The situation on Velara III had inflamed it.

Now the Aldeans had caused this sore spot to burst.

Tasha was feeling particularly dangerous.

Velara III had left a bitter taste in her mouth. She wasn't feeling particularly proud of her involvement in Starfleet at the moment.

And that hurt in a way Tasha hadn't expected.

Tasha was nearly finished with her run.

She sped up to finish strong, rounding the corner quickly and stumbling into Toya Doogan.

"Oh gods, sorry," Tasha said, pulling Toya up to her feet.

"It's alright," Toya assured her.

The two fell silent.

"I'm sorry about Alexandra," Tasha said.

"Thanks," Toya responded with a small smile.

"How are you doing?" Tasha inquired.

Toya paused and nodded slowly.

"We're hanging in there, you know?" Toya responded.

She was doing her best to hold herself together. Losing her daughter had been terrifying. Being thrown three days away with a threat of never seeing wee Alexandra again had only added insult to injury.

"I'm not really sure what to do," Toya confessed.

She dropped her gaze to the carpet and sniffled.

"I don't know what to say. I don't want to stay home. But I can't concentrate when I'm at my station," Toya confessed.

Tasha's heart went out to her. She couldn't imagine the pain and confusion. It was all too surreal.

"Do you want to get some Raktajino?" Tasha offered.

Toya shrugged and laughed.

"I'm afraid I wouldn't be great company," she said.

"You don't have to be," Tasha replied as she gave Toya's shoulder a squeeze. "You can say as much or as little as you want. I'll be there."

-X-

"She just mastered colours," Toya shared fondly. "Her birthday is coming up. Orange is her favourite. Tommy got her giant bag of sugared orange peels. We've been hiding it in anticipation."

Toya paused and swirled her Raktajino in her hand.

"At her last birthday, Tommy let her eat three pieces of cake. She was so sick we couldn't do pictures," Toya laughed.

Her smile faltered.

"Now that might be the last birthday we ever celebrate with her," Toya lamented.

"We're going to do everything we can to get them back," Tasha assured her.

The door to the canteen slid open. Lieutenant Franzen, a colleague of Toya's entered with his wife Joan. He gave her a small nod and Toya responded with a wave.

"We usually meet for breakfast after dropping our kids off together at daycare," Toya explained. "Their daughter, Gina, and Alexandra are four months apart."

"Oh? Do they get along well?" Tasha asked.

"Thick as thieves," Toya grinned. "And usually up to no good when they've been playing quiet together for too long."

Tasha chuckled.

Toya sat back in her chair, staring blankly out the window.

"Tommy's mother was so furious when we took this assignment. She begged us to leave Alexandra with her on Earth," Toya shared. "But we couldn't do that."

Toya sighed and shook her head.

"You're so lucky that you don't have kids," Toya said as she locked eyes with Tasha.

-X-

"For once in my life I can touch what my heart used to dream of long before I knew," Data sang as he strolled into Main Engineering.

Geordi was talking with Sonya. He stopped and turned to the door in surprise.

Miles was halfway through recalibrating the efficiency sensors when he heard Data. He paused and looked up from the console to watch in astonishment as Data wandered in.

"Someone warm like you would make my dreams come true," Data continued to croon.

From across the room, Miles and Geordi exchanged a look. Data was completely oblivious as he punched in his command access code and resumed analysing the Aldean shield.

"For once I can say this is mine, you cannot take it!" Data sang, really throwing himself into it. "As long as I know I have love I can make it."

Most of the team in Engineering was watching now. Sonya bit back a grin as she observed Data sway as he belted out the old tune. Miles was doing his best to choke back laughter.

It wasn't that Data was a bad singer. He was programmed with perfect pitch.

But it was so out of character that everyone was taken aback.

"I have got someone who needs me. Yeah somebody who needs me," Data concluded with a small spin.

He continued humming as he punched away at his terminal.

Geordi cleared his throat.

"Um, Data? Everything okay, buddy?" Geordi asked.

"Yes, Geordi," Data answered without turning around.

"Good morning, Commander," Miles said.

"Good morning, Chief," Data responded.

As soon as he was done talking, he resumed his work. Once again, he was singing.

"I may not always love you, but as long as there are stars above you," Data sang, starting a new song.

Under normal circumstances, Data's unusual antics would have been amusing. But in light of the recent events, they came across as out of touch with his surroundings.

Two of the staff on duty in Engineering were parents of children that had been taken. Geordi didn't want them to get the impression Data was unfeeling. After all, Geordi knew the situation with the Aldeans had hit Data hard.

"Excuse me," Geordi said to Sonya.

She nodded in understanding and took the tablet from him.

"Data?" Geordi said as he approached his best friend.

Data stopped and turned to Geordi.

"Data, what's going on?" Geordi asked.

Data's face registered confusion.

"I am analysing the Aldean shield grid," Data explained.

"I mean the singing," Geordi clarified.

Data turned and glanced behind him, suddenly conscious of the fact that everyone in Engineering was watching him.

"Oh, I apologise. I did not realise my exuberance was quite so public," Data confessed.

Geordi couldn't help but smile.

"Data? Something happen?" Geordi asked, his curiosity was now in overdrive.

"No," Data responded innocently.

He turned back to his console and resumed his study of the shield grid.

Geordi glanced over at Miles and wordlessly communicated he was not going to simply let it go at that.

"Then what's got you in such a good mood?" Geordi pressed.

Data leaned in close.

"I will tell you at lunch," Data said quietly.

"Alright," Geordi agreed before he headed back to his own station working next to the Chief.

"So what's going on?" Miles whispered.

"I dunno. He said he'd tell me over lunch," Geordi replied.

-X-

Their first morning on Aldea had been strange.

Most of the children had struggled to sleep the night before, lying awake confused and concerned until sleep had overtaken them.

The Aldeans were understanding and tried their best to help the children cope. One of the advantages of their sophisticated surveillance technology was that it had allowed them to study what the children liked and disliked.

Many of the units had prepared a familiar breakfast for the kids in hopes that it would provide a sense of the familiar and help them relax.

So they'd made special fruit cups for Henshi, served up drop scones for Alexandra, and even dished out a mock plomleek soup for T'lor.

After a tour of the area, the children were shown their rusta or 'creative space.'

"Now, hold it a little bit more firmly," Melian instructed.

He was one of the oldest and wisest Aldeans, a gifted musician, and tender heart.

"That's it. Perfect," Melian praised as Katie took hold of the instrument.

It was a special instrument that Melian had designed more than eighty years earlier. It had always been his dream to share his music with a younger generation.

"Now think," Melian paused and frowned. "No, think is not right. Feel the notes inside your head. Feel the song in your heart."

Katie jumped as the instrument lit up and came to life. It dropped onto the floor with a loud clang.

"I'm sorry! Did I break it?" Katie asked, alarmed.

"No, no," Melian chuckled. It's alright. You can't break this."

He bent over and picked up the instrument before helping Katie to reposition it once again.

"It did exactly what I thought. I mean, felt," Katie said in amazement.

Melian nodded, smiling.

"Yes. It is a direct expression of the music within you," he explained as he tapped the end of her nose. "Now we just have to teach you to structure that feeling. Try it again."

Melian was both kind and patient, not like Katie's piano teacher on the Enterprise.

Katie gripped the instrument loosely and let her feelings flow through it. The room was filled with a beautiful, but melancholic tune.

Melian had been a musician and composer long enough to understand this tune was full of regret, longing, and sorrow.

He sniffled and wiped his eyes, utterly moved by the music.

"That was beautiful," Melian said.

He thumbed away the tears and put on a smile to encourage Katie.

"Now, play something happier," he encouraged.

Katie looked down at her lap.

"That's not the way I feel," she confessed.

She handed the instrument back to Melian.

"I don't want to do this anymore," Katie announced.

-X-

Over in another unit, Harry was getting acquainted with his pseudo-family.

"You see, Harry. You are an artist," Duana said.

"I want to be an artist when I grow up!" Harry exclaimed.

Duana smiled.

"Harry, you already are an artist," Duana responded.

She reached for a special tool on the table and handed it to Harry. He turned it over in his hands, examining the strange object. Smooth and lightweight, it was unlike anything Harry had ever seen before.

"Your talent has always been there. This sculpting tool will help you develop it," Duana said. "It is what you are meant to do."

She led Harry over to the other side of the table where a block of wood was waiting to be shaped.

"Go on, try it," she said.

Harry scrunched up his face and thought for a moment about what he wanted to make. He liked animals. In particular, he liked making origami animals with Data during their art lessons.

With the sculpting tool in hand, Harry set out along the wood, meticulously carving it into a dolphin.

The shape came naturally. It was like he could see it in his head and transfer it to the wood. It was better than anything Harry could have imagined. While he enjoyed art and was often found sketching or painting, he had never been capable of so accurately transferring one of his ideas.

The realism was astounding.

"Whoa," Harry said.

He turned and looked up at Duana. He was beaming with pride.

"My what a lovely job," she said, admiring his work. "What is it?"

"It's a dolphin," Harry informed her.

Harry's smile faltered, worried that his work was inadequate.

Why else would Duana ask for clarification of what it was?

"Oh, don't feel bad. I have just never seen such a creature," Duana assured him, anticipating the reason for his sudden disappointment.

Harry perked up, his mood instantly changing.

"It swims in the ocean. Like a fish. Only, it's not a fish," Harry said.

Duana was fascinated.

"A fish. Incredible! We used to have them in our oceans. I have never seen one," Duana said with a hint of sadness.

She picked up the sculpture and studied it for a moment.

"You've really done a remarkable job," Duana commented.

"I used to live near the ocean on Zador IV. My mum and dad are marine biologists and he says that-" Harry suddenly trailed off.

There was a weight that had settled on his chest whenever he thought about his parents.

"Harry?" Duana asked.

Harry shrugged.

"I was just thinking about the last time I talked to my dad. We were arguing," Harry said sadly. "About geometry."

He sighed as his wee shoulders slumped.

"I told him I didn't want to do it anymore," Harry recalled.

"What's geometry?" Duana asked.

Harry was surprised to hear Duana ask this. Given Mr Data's lecture about the importance of geometry's relationship to art, Harry would have anticipated an artist like Duana would be familiar with it.

However, he shrugged it off.

They must just use a different word. Harry thought.

-X-

Wesley Crusher had initially chalked up the Aldean's confusion to a language barrier. After all, they had been isolated for thousands of years. He assumed their inability to answer his questions was likely due to a difference in terminology.

However, when he broke down his questions into the most basic and universal terms of explanation, the Aldeans seemed fascinated – as if it was the first time they were learning of such concepts.

Educational fundamentals like algebra, basic physics, and atoms were all beyond their skills.

"What are magnets?" Radue had asked.

All morning long Wes had been with Radue in the custodian room. It was an unusually quiet place where a great computer terminal was built into the floor.

Wes was certain he could spend a lifetime studying the device and still only scratch the surface of its capabilities. The custodian terminal housed environmental controls, surveillance, security and shielding, food production, and medical supply distribution.

In a way, Wes felt like he was playing one of his computer simulation games.

"Custodian, Wesley Crusher's voice will be entered into the authorisation file for Third Level clearance," Radue explained.

This was a promotion from the clearance Wes had been previously given.

The day before, all of the children had been granted fifth-level clearance that enabled them to order food, tools, or clothing.

"Why are you giving me this?" Wes inquired.

"You will require access to the custodian's systems," Radue said cryptically.

"But why?" Wes demanded.

"You will work with the custodian to-" Radue paused.

He was unsure how to phrase his instructions. In part, Radue was hoping Wesley would understand.

"Maintain it," Radue settled on.

"Maintenance? Like repairs?" Wes asked.

Radue was perplexed.

"The custodian frees us of all burden. It tends to all our needs. It regulates our lives. Distributes our resources. Protects us," Radue described.

His face soured.

"But there are problems," Radue shared. "Problems that we do not understand."

Wes ran his hand across the console. It was a truly magnificent piece of engineering.

"What do you mean you don't understand? Who built this?" Wes asked.

"The Progenitors," Radue explained. "Our ancestors. Thousands of years ago."

"What's its power source?" Wes asked.

Radue had to think about that for a moment. He had never considered such a question. Until recently, it had always worked. There had been no need to dig deeper.

"Why is that important? It has always done what we ask," Radue said.

"Well if you don't know how it works, how can we repair it?" Wes inquired, hoping Radue would get the hint.

"You ask questions I cannot answer," Radue confessed.

Wes was beginning to get the impression the Aldean's didn't just need new blood – they needed children with an understanding of scientific concepts they had long since lost.

However, Wes also understood that he was stuck with them for the time being. And the safety of everyone required keeping the custodian running.

If he could familiarise himself with the system, Wes might even be able to use it to contact the Enterprise.

He glanced around the room as he searched for any possible clues as to the power system.

"What's in there?" Wes asked.

He pointed across the room to an opening.

"I do not know. It's forbidden," Radue answered.

-X-

Lunch on Aldea was an uncomfortable affair.

As soon as Radue had left him alone, Wes had tried to access the forbidden room. He was certain it had to hold the power source. Or, at the very least, clues about the Aldean custodian.

Unfortunately, Radue had returned a moment later.

"I am disappointed but not surprised," Radue had said. "Though curiosity is to be expected."

According to Radue, there was an alarm that signalled whenever someone crossed the threshold into the forbidden area. He explained to Wesley that the Progenitors had warned all future generations to keep out.

It was forbidden because it was dangerous, though Radue did not have the answers as to precisely why it was hazardous.

Wes had only had a moment alone in the room. But he had discovered it housed a large chamber with what appeared to be a massive power source.

And Wes knew he needed to get back there to study it.

As he sat around the table with Radue, Rashella, and Alexandra, Wes plotted just how and when he could sneak back to study the power source.

"You haven't eaten," Radue commented.

"You didn't eat anything," Wesley countered.

"We eat very little," Rashella explained.

Very little was understatement. Since joining the Aldeans, Wes had hardly seen them eat at all.

"You need to eat," Radue encouraged.

"I'm not hungry," Wes replied.

It wasn't just a line. He truly didn't feel particularly hungry.

"I know you miss your mother. But you will grow accustomed to us. I promise you will be happy," Radue smiled.

Wes set his fork down on his plate and then pushed it away.

"I'm not feeling very well. I'd like to go lie down," Wes said.

"Of course," Rashella replied. "May we bring you anything?"

Wes shook his head.

He wasn't sure if it was nerves or if he were truly ill. Either way, he felt feverish and queasy.

Wes flopped down on the bed in his quarters and stared at the ceiling above. It really was a lovely house. And the Aldeans were kind.

But it wasn't home.

There was a soft knock at the door.

"May I enter?" Radue asked.

"Sure," Wes said, sitting up.

Radue came in with a glass of cool water and set it on the nightstand.

"I am sorry you have taken ill," Radue said. "I understand this is hard. But in the end, it is for the best. You will have a wonderful life here. You will be happy."

"I was happy before I came," Wes replied.

"We are offering you so much more than your life on the Enterprise," Radue said softly. "You wanted to be a Starfleet officer. Here, you will be the leader of our people."

Wes took a breath to steady his nerves.

It was difficult to voice his thoughts. But he knew he had to stand firm.

"Radue, I feel badly for you that you have no children. But we do not want to be here," Wesley shared.

-X-

"This was not your fault," Worf said.

"I know that," Tasha replied.

"There was nothing you could have done," Worf went on.

"Mmm hmm," Tasha agreed.

"The Aldean technology was far beyond-" Worf continued.

"I know, Worf!" Tasha insisted.

Silence fell between the pair as Tasha met his eyes for the first time since sitting down to lunch.

"What?" she asked.

Worf did not respond verbally.

He dropped his eyes to the table.

Tasha followed his gaze down and scanned the surface.

"This isn't because of the children," Tasha assured him.

Worf shot her a disbelieving look.

Tasha sniffled and wiped her chin with the back of her hand.

"It's not!" she swore.

Worf remained unconvinced.

"What do I have to say? I promise you, I'm not brooding," Tasha shrugged.

"The last time you did this was when, well, you know," Worf trailed off.

Tasha blinked in confusion.

"When you were unwilling to admit your feelings for Lieutenant Commander Data," Worf reminded her.

"Oh, right," Tasha nodded.

Worf had been so grateful when the two of them had finally straightened things out. It had been an agonising few months – reaching a fever pitch when Tasha spent another lunch shift punishing herself like this.

Nuclear nosh bean nuggets weren't a popular item onboard.

And Tasha had just polished off thirty of them, all drowned in Bajoran Tears of the Prophets hot sauce for good measure.

While the two friends shared an affinity for hot food, Worf was concerned. This was an act of self-punishment and Worf knew it stemmed from stress.

"Whaaa?" Tasha whined as Worf pulled her tray away, holding it just out of reach.

Her eyes were bright red and watering from the capsaicin.

"Tell me what's bothering you," Worf demanded.

"Fine," Tasha agreed begrudgingly.

She reached for the tray.

"Give me the tray," she ordered.

"Ah!" Worf teased, pulling it back. "Details first."

Tasha sighed. She knew this was a fight she wasn't going to win. Worf was far too perceptive.

"It's complicated," Tasha began. "Data and I have a counselling session later."

Worf set the tray back down immediately. If Tasha and Data were having problems, Worf wanted to do whatever he could to support her – even if it meant more nuclear nosh bean nuggets that anyone should consume in a lifetime.

"Thanks," Tasha smirked as she popped one in her mouth.

"Are you alright?" Worf asked, concerned.

Tasha shrugged as she chewed on a mouthful of fire.

"Dunno," she confessed. "Two days ago I was sure we had everything figured out. On the right track."

She turned and stared out the window into space.

"Now I'm not so sure," Tasha confessed. "The situation's changed."

Toya Doogan's comment had been bothering Tasha all morning.

You're so lucky that you don't have kids.

It had echoed in Tasha's mind ever since she had quite literally run into Alexandra's mother.

"I want to be with Data. That hasn't changed," Tasha assured Worf. "I'm just worried about how we can make it all work."

She paused and turned back to Worf wearing a pained expression.

"A starship just doesn't really feel like the time or place to raise your kids, you know?" Tasha asked with a bitter laugh. "And I'm not sure how to reconcile that."

Tasha wasn't ready to give up on having children.

But the situation with Aldea had left her struggling to determine just what the best course of action was. Starting a family was still a long way off.

And it would mean significant changes or substantial risk.

There were options – one or both of them could choose to take a different assignment. Tasha was certain Data could land just about anything he wanted. He had enough seniority.

They could move to a starbase or take an assignment that would allow one or both of them to return to a planet-based home more often.

But the thought of being on solid ground felt wrong.

Tasha loved her life aboard the Enterprise and wasn't ready to give that up.

Even if they pushed out having a family ten more years – that was essentially like putting a cap on her career.

It didn't sit right with Tasha.

Nor did the notion of Data giving up his career to raise a family so that she could continue in Starfleet.

Sure, Data would likely have all the time in the universe. But Tasha felt like she couldn't ask Data to put his own life on hold simply for her benefit.

As she chewed on her lunch, Tasha also chewed on the idea of what to say to Data.

She didn't want to disappoint him. He'd been so looking forward to their counselling session later that evening.

And now Tasha feared she was going to break his heart.

-X-

Over in the canteen, Miles and Geordi were eagerly awaiting Data's arrival at their table.

"So?" Geordi asked as soon as Data joined them.

"Hmm?" Data asked as he cocked his head to the side.

"You were going to tell me over lunch," Geordi reminded him. "You know, what's got you so excited?"

"Ah! Yes," Data responded as he began to cut up his lunch.

Miles eyed the tray and bit back a grin.

Now that he had the ability to taste, Data was so keen to try every possible food he could get his hands on. He'd put the replicator through its paces creating all sorts of weird and wonderful creations.

Today's speciality was a tuna fish and peanut butter sandwich, a scrambled egg with goat cheese, and a scoop of peach cobbler topped with cotton candy ice cream.

Surprisingly, Data had selected a crisp white wine to accompany the meal as if he were pairing wine with his dinner.

"How's lunch?" Miles asked.

Data had made a sour face as soon as he'd bitten into the sandwich.

"This is a most unpleasant combination," Data said in surprise.

He pulled the sandwich back and studied it carefully.

"I do not understand. These are both considered extremely popular sandwich choices. Yet together they are revolting," Data remarked.

Data set the sandwich down and decided it was not worth finishing.

"Data," Geordi pressed.

He'd been on pins and needles ever since the morning trying to suss out what had Data acting giddy.

Data leaned in close over the table. He turned his head side to side to ensure they were out of earshot of any surrounding crew.

"I must ask that you keep this information in the strictest of confidences," Data requested.

Miles and Geordi nodded in agreement.

"You are aware of my dream to have a family?" Data inquired.

"Of course," Geordi said.

"Uh huh," Miles concurred.

"Lieutenant Yar and I are taking the first step. Tonight," Data said.

-X-

"That's not what he meant," Miles insisted.

"But that's what he said," Geordi countered.

They were halfway down the Jefferies tube access point on deck 19 and had been arguing ever since lunch.

Data had offered no additional details – a fact that had surprised neither Miles nor Geordi.

Tasha was notoriously private about their relationship.

Truth be told, both men had been surprised by Data's statement in the first place.

However, Miles and Geordi were keenly aware of Data's desire to have a family. He'd shared such a goal with them before – and had spoken at length about it with Keiko.

"Look, for all we know Data could have meant something entirely innocent. I don't think we should take his comment to mean anything," Miles said.

The two stopped climbing and plopped down in front of the circuit junction.

"He said they were taking the first step. Now, I only know of one first step," Geordi argued.

"I thought you determined the, uh, phasers were loaded but weren't connected to the exit," Miles countered.

Geordi scratched the back of his neck.

Miles had a valid point.

"Oh yeah," Geordi recalled.

Suddenly, he perked up.

"Maybe Doctor Crusher is involved?" Geordi suggested.

He snapped his fingers.

"Yeah! That's got to be it!" Geordi exclaimed. "Data said he had an appointment later with Tasha."

Miles stopped and set down his sonic driver. He glanced to his left and shot Geordi a look.

"I think that's highly unlikely," Miles said.

"Why?" Geordi pressed as he picked up his multitool. "There's all sorts of possibilities. Maybe that's what he meant, some kind of embryonic implantation?"

Miles scoffed and shook his head.

"T?" Miles questioned. "C'mon. You'd have to drag her kicking and screaming away from this job. There's no way she's putting all that on pause for a baby. At least not right now."

Together they detached the panel and set it behind them.

Miles sat back on his knees and wiped the sweat from his brow.

"In any case, I know they're crazy about each other. But they haven't been together all that long," Miles said. "They still have separate quarters!"

Geordi smirked.

"What?" Miles asked.

"Like you and Keiko?" Geordi teased.

Miles and Keiko had started their relationship roughly the same time as Data and Tasha.

"Exactly," Miles said as he shook his sonic driver at Geordi. "Just because we're getting married doesn't mean what you think it does. We're both in agreement – no little ones for at least four years."

Miles wasn't sure about children and Keiko was doing a distance learning programme to get a second degree in teaching. They wanted to enjoy life as newlyweds for a while before starting a family.

"If we ever get that far. We're still stuck on wedding planning," Miles grumbled.

While Miles and Keiko adored each other, they found themselves struggling to agree on wedding plans. Keiko wanted a simple, traditional Japanese ceremony.

Miles wanted a big family affair back on Earth.

They'd gone back and forth for months trying to determine which plan to go with. Some days they were both set on just running away to Risa for a few days to elope.

"Well Tasha's people aren't keen on the idea of marriage. Data said she's got no interest in it," Geordi shared.

"Now why didn't I have the sense to ask her out?" Miles joked.

-X-

At the end of their shift, Miles and Geordi climbed out of the access panel and emerged in the corridor near the main Security office.

Worf and Tasha were also both just finishing their duties for the day.

Out of nowhere, Ensign Jeffords rushed up.

"Sorry, sirs," Jeffords said as he caught his breath. "We've got an issue with the primary phaser coupling in the reserve chamber."

"Understood," Tasha responded.

She whipped around to grab her go bag from the office when Worf's arm shot out.

"I will see to it," Worf said.

"Then we'll go together. We can get it done twice as fast," Tasha offered.

Worf stayed firm, blocking her access. He recognised Tasha was looking for an out to delay her appointment.

"You have an appointment," Worf advised. "An important appointment that you cannot miss."

Tasha glared.

"It won't take more than thirty minutes. It's probably the sensor," Tasha argued as she tried to push past him.

"I know you are nervous," Worf said quietly.

Worf may have been attempting to speak in a hushed tone, but it was loud enough that both Geordi and Miles overhead the comment.

"Go," Worf insisted.

He gave Tasha's shoulder a squeeze.

"You will feel better once it's done," Worf promised.

-X-

Data left his shift on the Bridge and took the lift down with Beverly.

He was singing softly to himself once again.

"My head keeps spinnin'. I go to sleep and keep grinnin'. If this is just the beginning," Data sang. "My life will be beeeaaauuutiful."

For the first time all day, Beverly smiled.

She dropped her head and chuckled softly.

Data's audio receptors picked up on this.

"I am sorry, Doctor," Data apologised. "I sincerely did not mean to make light of the current situation."

"It's alright, Data," Beverly replied.

"I find that I have struggled to keep my emotions in check today," Data confessed.

"Really, it's okay," Beverly assured him as she flashed him a small smile.

Beverly had spent the entire day in a confusing mix of anxiety, grief, and hope. She was clinging to the fact they were heading back to Aldea – and that Wesley was a clever boy.

But it was hard to keep going, especially when she felt obligated to put on a brave face for the other parents.

Data's little musing to himself had been a pleasant and unexpected moment of levity.

"Well, spill it!" Beverly encouraged. "Don't keep it all to yourself. I've got to bottle up what little joy I can find these days."

"Lieutenant Yar and I have an appointment with Counsellor Troi this evening," Data shared.

"Oh that's right!" Beverly exclaimed.

Tasha had spoken to her about it a few days prior during their weekly girl's night. Following their experience with Admiral and Mrs Jameson, Data and Tasha had agreed to officially map out their plans for – as Data put it – commitment.

Tasha still had her reservations about the idea of marriage. And there were a lot of unanswered questions about the timing and the how of making a family happen.

But they were going to start planning.

For Data, he could not recall ever being so thrilled.

"I'm so happy for you, Data," Beverly smiled.

And she meant it.

"Thank you, Doctor," Data responded.

-X-

"Sorry I'm late," Tasha said as she stepped into Deanna's office.

"Not to worry," Deanna said with a reassuring smile.

Tasha sat down on the sofa next to Data. From her posture, it was evident she was feeling tense.

"Are you sure you don't want to postpone this until after the mission back to Aldea?" Tasha asked. "I'm sure you're exhausted."

With Tasha's assistance, Deanna had spent most of the last forty-eight hours in counselling sessions with the parents of the abducted children. As an empath, all of the negative energy and fear onboard the ship took its toll on her psyche.

"No," Deanna said. "In fact, I've been looking forward to this."

She needed at least one positive session to cleanse the palette. It would be a nice break and a chance to focus her energy on something lovely rather than all the pain that had consumed the ship recently.

"Great!" Tasha replied from behind a tight smile.

-X-

As the sun began to set on Aldea, Alexandra wandered into Wesley's room.

"Mummy, I want mummy," she sniffled as she crawled up onto Wesley's bed.

"It will be alright," Wes said, comforting her.

A fresh batch of tears began to form as Alexandra snuggled in close to Wes.

He was the closest thing she had to home in this strange place. The first night had been fun – almost like a sleepover. But now she wanted to go home.

She wanted her cot and her softies.

She wanted her princess jimjams.

Most of all, she wanted bedtime stories and cuddles with her mum and dad.

-X-

"Hey, Doc," Geordi said as he pulled Beverly into a warm hug. "It's nice to see you smiling."

Beverly had gone to Ten Forward to take up Guinan on her invitation for dinner.

Geordi had been waiting by the bar to meet Sonya for a stroll around the Arboretum before she started her overnight shift.

Geordi had been concerned about Beverly ever since Wesley's abduction. Wes had expressed an interest in Engineering ever since his earliest days on the Enterprise.

Even before beaming aboard, Geordi had met the Crushers at Farpoint. He'd hit it off with Wes since the start and Beverly was glad that he'd found someone to connect with.

During their service together, Beverly and Geordi had come to share a close friendship. In a way, Geordi was both a mentor and a friend to Wesley.

Beverly was grateful that Geordi treated Wes as a colleague. She had great respect for Geordi and his leadership.

"What's got you in a good mood? News on Wes?" Geordi asked, hoping the Aldeans had made contact with the Captain.

Beverly shook her head.

"No, I wish," Beverly confessed. "It was Data."

Geordi's ears were now on Red Alert.

"Data?" Geordi asked.

His tone was one of feigned innocence, but his hope was to draw out more information from Beverly.

"Ever since I saw him earlier, I've just been in a good mood. He was so," Beverly paused and chuckled. "Pleased."

Geordi's entire demeanour shifted. He perked up. Geordi was thrilled to hear this.

The door to Ten Forward slid open. Sonya stepped in, fresh to start her day, and eager to join Geordi for a trip to the Arboretum.

Beverly gave Geordi a knowing look.

"Go," she said.

"Thanks, Doc," Geordi said.

He snapped his fingers and slid backwards on the carpet.

"For once in my life I've got someone who needs me," Geordi sang as he walked back toward Sonya.

Beverly shook her head.

She had no idea just what had come over the staff lately – but she was relieved to see some happiness buzzing about the ship.

-X-

From across the coffee table, Tasha and Deanna blinked at one another.

Deanna could sense just how overwhelmed Tasha was feeling.

Hell, Deanna herself was speechless.

Following their interactions with Admiral and Mrs Jameson, Data and Tasha had collectively agreed to sit down with Deanna and map out a way to prioritise their relationship.

Most importantly, they had agreed to lay out a plan for making a formal commitment to one another and for starting a family.

And while both Data and Tasha felt committed to reaching that goal, there was a lot to consider in terms of the how and when.

As Deanna understood how important this was to Data, she offered to let him go first.

"And this is the report that summarises Erikson's Psychosocial Childhood Development Theory, Piaget's Cognitive Development Theory, and the Social Learning Theory of the Vulcan Psychologist T'Nat," Data explained as he pointed to one of the isolinear chips.

There were over thirty isolinear chips in total featuring theories of childhood development, parenting techniques, pregnancy guides, adoption information, and a list of seven thousand four hundred and nineteen questions Data wished to resolve before determining a course of action.

Data had even prioritised them for Tasha using a colour-coded search system that he programmed into the report.

Some were obvious questions that needed a resolution.

Should we adopt children? Have our own?

Use a donor so as to avoid passing along the Soong DNA? Use a surrogate so as to avoid the risk of pregnancy with Tasha's role in Security?

There were questions that Tasha recognised would need to be answered at some point.

How would they handle discipline? How would they divvy up the responsibilities? What family traditions and belief systems would they share with their offspring?

Neither Data nor Tasha had any first-hand experience in such matters. Their knowledge of family tradition came second-hand. Starfleet was the only family they had ever known.

Data also had a series of questions that Tasha realised were not as important in the moment – but they were certainly more comfortable to discuss.

What was an appropriate bedtime? What list of activities were they both comfortable with? Parrises Squares? Shinty? Screen time?

And then there were the questions they were afraid to ask.

When would they start a family? Two years? Five? Ten?

Would the Federation even recognise Data's parental rights?

"I recognise that this is a vast amount of information. By my calculations, we should be able to address these questions in one year, three months, and seventeen days," Data shared. "However, I wanted to ask if you had anything to add."

Tasha blinked slowly as she attempted to wrap her head around the task before her.

"Tasha?" Deanna prompted.

Tasha shook her head.

"Sorry," she apologised.

All of Data's questions were another reminder that Data and Tasha's relationship was anything but ordinary.

In fact, labelling it as unusual was a criminal understatement.

It wasn't just Data's android nature – they were both orphans in a sense. Neither had experienced a typical adolescence. They had no family, no parents, or grandparents to rely on.

Neither of them had a proper home to return to in order to raise a family.

Earth was as foreign as any other planet.

They weren't just officers – they were senior officers with enormous responsibilities. Their duties involved long and often unusual hours.

Sure, Beverly Crusher was raising her son as a single parent. But Wes could feed, dress, and occupy himself. He didn't need round the clock care or picking up from the daycare centre.

Toya Doogan's comments from earlier were still rattling around in Tasha's brain. Even though both the Doogan's were stationed together on the Enterprise, wee Alexandra was still a handful for two dedicated parents with normal working hours.

Tasha closed her eyes as her mind began to spiral to another time, another world. She'd been so young when she'd been tasked with caring for children.

Other children. She reminded herself. You were a child then too.

A gentle squeeze from Data's hand brought her back to the present.

She opened her eyes and turned to the side.

For a moment, neither of them said anything.

"You are feeling overwhelmed," Data said, recognising her trepidation. "It was not my intention to exhaust you."

"I know," Tasha assured him.

"I do not expect us to make any decisions today," Data said.

Tasha visibly relaxed.

"However, I would like us to begin planning a timeline," Data added.

"Tasha, I'd like you to talk about why that makes you feel uneasy," Deanna said, jumping in.

She had sensed this hesitation for some time and wanted to seize on the opportunity to address it.

Tasha was none too happy that Deanna had called her out like that.

"It's important," Deanna insisted. "And we need to address it before it stews."

"I'm not second-guessing this. I need you to understand that," Tasha said, her eyes pleading with Data.

Tasha flopped back against the sofa and shrugged.

"I guess I just feel like, well, when we put a timeline on this it's like capping my career," Tasha confessed. "It takes so much work to raise a child. And I just don't know how we do it and keep up with our duties."

To her relief, Data did not appear rattled by this revelation.

"A great many things would need to change. But I do not believe it is your responsibility alone to parent our child," Data assured her. "My career would undoubtedly take a different direction. And it is a sacrifice I am willing to make for the sake of having a family."

Tasha sat up and shook her head.

"You can't do that, Data. And I won't ask that of you. You're Second Officer on the bloody flagship," Tasha asserted. "You don't walk away from that."

The corner of Data's lip curved upward ever-so-slightly.

"But I will. I want to," he said simply. "I will gladly give up my career if necessary in order to have a family. Tasha, this is that important to me."

A pained expression crossed Tasha's face as she held Data's gaze.

"While I would hope that such a step is not necessary, I am fully prepared to, as you say, go there," Data remarked.

Deanna cleared her throat.

"I didn't want to put either of you on the spot, but I wanted you to discuss this because I think while well-intended, you're both ignoring an important factor in this decision," Deanna chimed in.

Data and Tasha paused and turned to Deanna for an explanation.

"Starfleet's policy on families has radically changed in the last fifteen years. I know the Enterprise is home, but for many of us it's still an adjustment compared to our previous assignments," Deanna explained.

Deanna had a point. While families had become more commonplace on ships in recent years, the new Galaxy-class vessels were unlike any of their predecessors.

During Data's last assignment, there had been a handful of children aboard. There was a small school run by one of the parents and Sickbay doubled as a daycare for infants.

Most of Tasha's assignments had been to ships that were active in combat areas. There were no children aboard the Dunkirk or the Atraides.

The Crazy Horse had been a ship with several families – but nothing compared to the Enterprise.

The Enterprise had a fully functional school. Round the clock daycare operated well-staffed and was prepared to care for a variety of humanoid children. Between the Arboretum, Library, Art studio, Holodecks, and Fitness centre, there were more than enough classes and workshops to provide a child with a vibrant childhood.

There were plenty of other children so socialisation wouldn't be a problem like it was on some smaller vessels or starbases.

"Sometimes I think the two of you have been on your own for so long that you're used to doing things alone," Deanna shared. "You forget that you have a support circle."

Data cocked his head to the side.

"Counsellor, what are you saying?" Data inquired.

Deanna grinned.

"I'm saying that the two of you won't be doing this alone," Deanna assured them. "You have friends. You have a Captain that's supportive of your relationship and understanding of family obligations. And you would have months and months of parental leave available should you choose to take it."

She paused.

"Most importantly, you have plenty of time to figure this out. There's no rush," Deanna said.

"Right," Data nodded in understanding.

"Yeah," Tasha responded.

For the first time since coming to Deanna's office, she felt like she could breathe.

"And you know, for all this preparation, parenting rarely goes the way you plan," Deanna laughed.

-X-

"Thank you," Data said as he gave Tasha a quick peck on the cheek.

"Thank you," Tasha responded.

Their session hadn't gone they way either of them had expected – but they'd left feeling better for it.

Data had been able to get his ideas out there. And after Deanna's comments, Tasha had come around to the idea. She was certainly far more comfortable with it than she had been that morning.

"I need to stop down in Engineering and check my shield pattern analysis. I will join you shortly," Data advised.

"Alright, see you at home," Tasha responded.

They shared a chaste kiss before heading off in opposite directions down the corridor.

Tasha hopped onto the nearest life. Geordi was already inside having returned from his date with Sonya.

"Hey, T," Geordi said. "You alright?"

He noticed she seemed distracted.

"Yeah, sorry. Just full," Tasha commented. "I feel like I'm going to explode."

She made a noise and gestured with her hands as if her head were about to blow.

Geordi wordlessly indicated his curiosity.

"Data and I had an appointment earlier," she explained. "I'm sure Data told you about it."

"Yeah," Geordi replied. "Did everything turn out alright?"

Tasha nodded.

"Yeah, I just, well, absorbed a lot, yanno?" Tasha answered.

"Uh huh," Geordi replied awkwardly.

All of sudden she hissed and clutched her abdomen as her body was gripped by a stomach cramp.

Internally, she chastised herself. Worf had warned her to take it easy on the Nuclear Nosh Nuggets.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Geordi asked, concerned by her reaction.

"Yeah. I mean, I did this to myself," Tasha chuckled.

The lift stopped on her floor.

"Night!" Tasha said brightly before stepping off, leaving Geordi stunned on the lift.

-X-

Wesley Crusher peered around the corner and listened for a moment. He could hear Radue's breathing had slowed, confirming he was asleep.

Carefully, Wes crept into his bedchamber and retrieved the small handheld device Radue carried with him during the day.

Wes surmised this was some remote communications access to the caretaker.

It was also likely where the alarm was sent notifying Radue that Wes had entered the forbidden area.

Sneaking back out into the corridor, Wes was prepared to head back for more clues.

"Where are you going?" a small voice asked.

It was Alexandra.

She had been frightened and lonely. It was difficult to sleep. So, wee Alexandra had crept out of bed and down the corridor in hopes of sneaking into Wesley's room.

"Go back to bed, Alexandra," Wes encouraged.

Alexandra shook her head.

"Go back to bed," Wes repeated.

Alexandra rushed forward and clutched his leg.

"Nuh uh," she protested.

"Please. This is very important," Wes urged.

"It's scary," she argued. "I want to come with you."

Wes sighed and scooped her up, carrying her back into his bedroom.

He tucked her into bed and pulled the covers up close.

"I have to do something important. Something that will help us get home," Wes said as he brushed her bangs back. "And I need your help."

Her eyes lit up.

"I want to help!" she whispered excitedly.

"I need you to stay in here and pretend to be me, okay? Can you do that?" Wes asked.

It couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, he was worried they were far more likely to check on Alexandra during the night than on him. However, if it kept her quiet, then it was necessary.

Wes certainly didn't want to risk taking her along to the forbidden area in case there really was something dangerous hidden there.

Alexandra nodded eagerly.

"Thanks partner," Wes smiled.

He put his finger to his lips.

"This is our secret," he reminded her.

-X-

It didn't take Wes long to reach the chamber where the caretaker device was housed. The Aldean city was completely abandoned, and he'd been able to move about freely.

It only took Wes about twenty minutes to get a basic understanding of Radue's handheld device. Like the main caretaker console, this allowed him to view the whereabouts of all the people on Aldea – and to keep tabs on the children.

Wes had checked on Alexandra for good measure to ensure she hadn't followed him.

To his relief, she was still tucked safely in bed and fast asleep.

With the help of the caretaker device, Wes was able to disable the alarm on Radue's device.

Toolkit in hand, he crept into the forbidden area.

There was a massive structure in the middle of the chamber that appeared to be a generator of some form.

It emitted an eerie churning noise, almost like great blades from a turbine.

Wes circled the structure in search of some kind of access console or computer interface. He came up empty handed.

He was about to give up when the handheld device clued him in to a hidden console along the side.

Wes wiped the perspiration from his brow as he worked to remove the panel to get access.

It was unbearably hot in the chamber, and it wasn't doing much to help Wesley's condition. His head was throbbing and the nausea he'd experienced earlier in the afternoon was back.

He felt dizzy.

Wes sat down and leaned back against the power source as he tried to steady himself.

It had taken Wes nearly ten minutes to walk around the entire structure. He knew it would be four or five minutes to get back to the door.

While Wes understood the importance of his duty to figure this out, he was worried that he would faint if he didn't get some fresh air.

It took a great effort to pull himself up to his feet. Wes stumbled for the door.

The last thing he remembered before losing consciousness was the thought that he had to keep going. All the children were depending on him.

-X-

"We will need to monitor him more closely," Radue said.

"He has the lesions now too," Rashella said, concerned. "What if by bringing them here, we're condemning them to the same fate?"

"Aerdil has assured me that he will heal," Radue responded.

"Aerdil said we would heal too," Rashella countered.

Having awoken to the sound of their voices, Wes kept his eyes closed.

Rashella and Radue were having a tense argument in hushed voices.

"He will fix the caretaker and then all will be set to rights," Radue said. "He is young. And strong. I will hear no more on this topic, Rashella. Leave him now to sleep."

Wes stayed still, counting to three hundred slowly before carefully peeking to ensure they were gone.

He lifted his hand and noticed there were two small lesions on it, red and blistered. It was the same hand he had predominantly used to touch the power source with.

Obviously, something in the power source was dangerous. It explained why the room was forbidden. If these people lacked the scientific insight Wes suspected they did, then it was likely they knew enough to realise it was bad but not enough to understand why it was dangerous.

There was a sinking feeling in the pit of Wesley's stomach as he realised just why he was sick.

-X-

A few hours later, Rashella came to check on Wesley and to invite him to a meeting with the other children. The Aldeans felt that spending some time together would ease the trauma of separation and help them adjust.

So they were left alone in the meeting hall with plates of food and a series of Aldean games.

But no one was playing.

The children were seated together in a circle as Wes explained his plan.

"Why will not talking or eating make them send us home?" Katie asked.

"It's called passive resistance. We don't do what they want us to do. Then they won't want us at all," Wes said.

Juinu, a Denobulan child raised his hand.

"Won't they get mad at us?" he asked.

"They won't hurt us," Wes assured them.

Of that, he was certain. The Aldeans were peaceful people, and they had no desire to harm the children.

"But I kind of like them," Harry shared.

"So do I," Wes confessed.

He did pity them. They were not cruel, they were simply desperate.

"I don't want to stay here forever. I want to go home. Don't you?" Wes asked.

Harry shrugged.

"Yeah, but I like it here," Harry said.

It was difficult to explain. Harry missed his parents and his teacher. But he liked working with Duana and the other artists. In a way, he felt like he'd found his own place in the world.

"Harry, we all have to be in this together for it to work," Wes urged.

Harry nodded.

All of a sudden, Rashella swept into the room.

"Why are you not playing?" she asked, concerned by their behaviour.

All of her research on human children indicated they typically spent hours playing. It was an important activity for their social development.

None of the children responded.

Rashella looked to Wesley for an explanation.

"We're not playing. Or working. Or eating until we are returned home," Wes said simply.

Rashella smiled and stepped toward the circle.

"Alexandra, don't you want to play?" she asked with a broad smile.

Alexandra looked from Rashella to Wesley and back again.

"Alexandra," Wes said in a warning tone.

She scrambled onto Wesley's lap and buried her face in his shoulder.

Wes took a short breath and met Rashella's eyes with a determined glare.

-X-

The Enterprise was still two days out from Aldea and the mood on the Bridge was sombre.

No one had said a word beyond what was necessary for their roles. No one felt like chit chat as the missing children hung over the entire ship like a dark cloud.

All of a sudden, the communications array began to blink.

Tasha paused for a moment as she traced the origin of the message.

"Uh, sir. Incoming hail. It's Aldea," Tasha announced.

Everyone's posture shifted.

"Onscreen," Picard ordered.

Radue appeared a moment later. He appeared perturbed.

"Radue," Captain Picard said, greeting the man with a small nod.

He'd been working with Deanna to try and keep his temper in check. It was far too important lest they risk offending the Aldeans again.

"Captain, we must conclude these negotiations. But before we do so, you must speak with the children," Radue insisted. "They are on some sort of strike. You must deal with this!"

Deanna gave the Captain the smallest of nods, indicating that this was one opportunity he should not let go.

"A strike?" Picard asked.

"They are refusing to cooperate. To speak to us," Radue explained. "They will not eat."

"All of the children?" Picard inquired.

Radue nodded, displeased.

"Mr Crusher has organised this. We were aware of his wilful tendencies, but we are unfamiliar with this kind of organised resistance," Radue said, expressing his frustration. "You must order the children to comply."

"Well, I will see what I can do. We certainly don't want the children going on a hunger strike," Picard said.

"Thank you, Captain," Radue replied.

So far, so good.

"Perhaps Doctor Crusher could assist me? It might carry more weight coming from her," Picard suggested.

"Very well, we will prepare the children," Radue agreed.

-X-

Fifteen minutes later, the Aldeans initiated a second hail to the ship. As the children had refused to interact with the Aldeans, Radue had been forced to bring the communications to them.

Captain Picard could see they were assembled in the same main hall where they had initially met with Radue and Rashella down on the planet.

Doctor Crusher had been paged to the Bridge. She was immediately concerned for Wesley's wellbeing. He appeared pale. He was perspiring and that was never a good sign.

"Hello children," Captain Picard said. "Radue has informed me that you are not being cooperative."

There was no response.

"He has notified us of your hunger strike," Picard went on.

The children were listening, but they kept up the appearance of being silent.

"It is very important that you keep up your strength," Picard encouraged.

As proud as he was for the clever determination of these kids, he did not want to upset Radue. Jean-Luc knew he had to make a gesture toward cooperation in order to keep the Aldeans talking.

"Wesley, you look ill. You have to eat," Beverly insisted.

Wes stood up and approached the screen interface.

"Hi, mom," he said as he waved his left hand.

"Wes, please," Beverly urged.

Wes put his left hand up in the intergalactic sign of 'stop.'

"No can do. We're going to continue using passive resistance until we are returned home. We will not eat. We will not cooperate. Those are our terms," Wes explained.

Strangely, he was making a point of gesturing with his left hand. It was unlike Wes to talk with hands that much.

"Are you alright?" Beverly asked. "Any symptoms?"

Beverly was confused and concerned by Wesley's behaviour.

"I'm running a fever. And I've been nauseous," Wes shared.

He reached up and wiped his brow, flashing the lesions on his hand to her.

Beverly frowned.

"Enough, you are due back in thirty-nine hours. We will finalise negotiations then," Radue declared before terminating the channel.

-X-

"It seems the Aldeans are learning that parenthood isn't all that picturesque," Commander Riker quipped.

"But a hunger strike?" Picard inquired.

The senior officers had stepped into the Ready Room for a quick debrief following their short, unusual call with the Aldeans.

At the very least, the Aldeans seemed genuinely interested in making one more attempt at negotiating. Unfortunately, the team realised this would be their last chance to act.

"Passive resistance is a creative method given their lack of options," Data said.

"Wes is clever," Tasha chimed in.

"Wes is a clever boy," Beverly said absentmindedly.

He'd made a point of showing her his hand. Only, Beverly couldn't fathom why.

Suddenly her eyes lit up.

"Yes. He is a clever boy," Beverly said slowly as realisation dawned on her.

"Doctor?" Picard inquired.

"I'll have to check the DNA we took. It's limited, but I do have a control sample from Wesley's last physical," Beverly muttered to herself as she left the Ready Room.

"Well then," Captain Picard said. "It would seem our meeting is adjourned."

-X-

Chief Medical Officer's log. Stardate 41512.9. I've begun to suspect that whatever is causing sterility amongst the Aldeans is related to a danger faced by Earth in the twenty-first century. I've analysed the brief samples I was able to scan during our visit to the surface. This, combined with Wesley's information have provided the clue needed to solve this dilemma.

I only hope we are not too late and that the Aldeans will listen.

-X-

"Radiation poisoning?" Picard inquired as he raised his eyebrows.

He sat back and sighed.

"Is it reversible?" Picard asked.

"Perhaps. With proper treatment," Beverly explained. "Either way, they've condemned the children to the same fate. If we don't fix this problem then the Aldeans will be facing the same issue all over again with the next generation."

"Then our priority needs to be in getting the children off that planet," Picard said.

He still wasn't certain exactly how they were going to accomplish that feat. Data and Geordi had been working with the Security team to figure out a way to temporarily neutralise the Aldean shield. But it was all dependent upon being able to slip down through one of the cracks in the first place.

"Sir, if you do go forward with this infiltration plan, then I am ordering Lieutenant Oundaar off duty," Beverly advised.

"Is everything alright?" Picard inquired.

The Orion officer was an adept Security specialist.

"She's fine. She just recently underwent another round of treatment for the Huanen Virus she contracted on that assignment to Invarti cluster. She needs to stay away from radiation. Even in small doses, it can interact with the treatment," Beverly advised.

If Wes was already showing lesions on his hands, then the radiation levels on Aldea weren't safe.

Furthermore, the treatment for Huanen Virus wasn't easily obtained. Beverly had Lieutenant Oundaar had been forced to wait nearly eight weeks to synthesise enough for the next dosage.

"I don't want to risk losing that and delaying it any further," Beverly explained.

The virus could not be transmitted to other crew through airborne or surface contact. While Oundaar was cleared for most duty, there were long-term complications to leaving the virus untreated.

There was a soft knock on the door.

"Come in," Picard called out.

Geordi poked his head inside the door.

"Am I disturbing you, Captain?" Geordi inquired.

"No, no. Come in. I'm just wrapping up with Doctor Crusher," Picard explained.

Geordi nodded and stepped inside as the Captain turned his attention back to Beverly.

"Thank you, Doctor. I'm in agreement. That much radiation would certainly be dangerous for someone carrying such precious cargo," Picard said in reference to the treatment in Lieutenant Oundaar's system. "Security will just have to make do without her on this one."

"Right, I'll inform Lieutenant Yar," Beverly responded with a nod.

Geordi stood there in complete shock.

Precious cargo.

He didn't think they had a way to detect pregnancy so early. Nor did Geordi think it was possible for medical embryonic implantation to be so successful so quickly.

But modern medicine was constantly improving.

Geordi shook his head as he realised this was confirmation of his suspicions.

He just hadn't expected it so soon.

And he had no idea what to say to Data.

"Mr La Forge?" Captain Picard repeated for the third time in an attempt to get Geordi's attention.

"What? Oh!" Geordi said as his mind snapped back to the situation at hand.

Captain Picard knew Geordi kept unusual hours.

"Has there been any progress? Don't tell me you were up all night?" Picard teased.

Geordi nodded and stepped up to the Captain's desk. He handed over a tablet that displayed the progress their team had made.

"These weaknesses act like fluctuations. If the timing is precise, we may be able to beam a small group down onto the planet," Geordi explained as he pointed to the screen.

Picard studied the image for the moment as he watched the scenario play out on the screen. Every few seconds there were minute, random fluctuations. However, over the course of ninety seconds, they repeated in the same areas.

"Why don't we just beam the children up through the hole?" Picard asked.

Geordi shook his head.

"It's too complicated. We can get two, maybe three people in through this," Geordi shared. "And even if we could beam the children back. There's nothing stopping the Aldeans from simply taking them back again."

"Alright, I want you and Data to beam down and find that power source. Commander Riker will accompany you," Picard ordered.

-X-

"Ok, I may not know everything, but I know that's not how it works," Miles said.

Geordi and the Chief were in Main Engineering preparing for Geordi's trip down to the planet. While they still had two days, Geordi wanted to be ready the moment they arrived.

"I know that!" Geordi insisted. "I was shocked. But that's what she said."

"I think you got what could be called the wrong end of the stick," Miles remarked.

"I know what I heard," Geordi replied.

Miles shot him a sceptical look.

"You really think Data would be able to keep that quiet?" Miles asked.

"Good point," Geordi replied.

Data was excited for any opportunity to engage in the human experience. There was simply no way he'd keep having a child under wraps.

"I just, I dunno, Chief," Geordi said as crossed his arms. "I know what I heard."

Geordi may have been having trouble reconciling that information with his own understanding of human anatomy and logic, but he couldn't deny the conversation he'd walked in on.

And Tasha's comments the night before.

Or Data's statement about taking a 'first step.'

"Alright then, I'll bet you a month of carbon scrubbing that this is all a misunderstanding," Miles said as he held out his hand.

Carbon scrubbing was one of the toughest jobs on the ship. Typically Miles and Geordi rotated month by month with supervising the project.

"You're on," Geordi agreed as he gripped Miles's hand.

Miles averted his eyes to the door and back to Geordi, signalling that their conversation was no longer safe.

Data had just stepped into Main Engineering to check on their progress.

Geordi zipped his lips to indicate he got the message.

"Hey Data!" Geordi said.

"Commander," Miles said, greeting him.

"Good afternoon. Are you prepared for arrival?" Data asked.

They were still around thirty hours out from Aldea, but the mood on the ship had shifted to one of hope.

"I think so," Geordi responded.

"Excellent," Data nodded.

Miles tapped the screen behind him to show Data their latest update.

"We're thinking this section is our best bet. It's physically closest to the main chamber and the shield grid seems to fluctuate more in this area," Miles said.

Data nodded.

"This seems logical. Good work," Data responded.

It had taken hours to decipher the pattern of fluctuations, but the collective brainpower of Data, La Forge, and O'Brien was unrivalled – even head-to-head against the mighty Aldea.

"Say, Data," Geordi began to pry. "How was your appointment?"

"It was not what I expected. But it was satisfactory," Data answered as he tapped the screen to move to the next report.

"And, uh, how's Tasha?" Geordi asked.

"She is well," Data said quickly.

He paused and leaned in close.

"Though I suspect she is feeling somewhat perturbed that she will not be joining the away team," Data shared.

Geordi turned to Miles. Miles was not amused. Geordi was beaming.

"Did you hear that, Chief?" Geordi asked with feigned surprise. "What a pity."

-X-

"Hey," Data said as he sat down next to Tasha on the sofa.

He leaned in close and pressed a kiss to her temple.

Tasha was fixated on her PADD, reading furiously through the daily reports.

"You are still upset," Data observed.

"I just don't think it's wise to beam down without Security," Tasha replied stiffly.

She didn't want to question Captain Picard's judgement. But Tasha couldn't help it. There was no telling what they would encounter down on Aldea. Their limited contact with the Aldeans had given them no indication of their security protocols.

It didn't sit right with Tasha.

"Commander Riker, Lieutenant La Forge, and I are capable of taking care of ourselves," Data reminded her.

Tasha set down her PADD on the windowsill and cupped Data's face.

"I know that. But it's my job to keep you safe. And I can't do that if I'm up here," Tasha lamented.

She closed her eyes and whined.

"Captain Picard requires your presence on the Bridge in case things, as you say, go south," Data advised. "Your duty is to the ship first."

"I know. But I don't have to like it," Tasha complained.

Data smirked. He suspected that was part of the reason she was upset with the away team's orders.

"You are bothered because you will miss all the action," he teased.

"Maybe a little," Tasha confessed.

"For the record, this is what terrifies me about you," Data replied.

"Terrifies you?" Tasha responded.

She rested her hand on his chest as she pressed a line of soft kisses down his jaw and chin.

"You don't seem terrified, Commander," Tasha said, taunting him.

She sat back and blinked innocently.

"Moi?" Tasha asked.

It was the last thing she got out before Data dove across the sofa, closing the distance between them.

-X-

Captain Picard tugged at his collar. It was the third time he'd done so in the last fifteen minutes.

"Relax," Beverly whispered.

She wanted to reach across the Bridge and give his hand a squeeze, but she recognised such an action would be highly inappropriate in front of the other officers.

Jean-Luc couldn't understand how calm she was.

Everyone else was on edge.

The atmosphere on the Bridge had been stifling all day as they approached Aldea. This was their one and only chance to get the children back safely. Knowing that radiation was the reason for Aldea's population decline only added to urgency.

Jean-Luc felt smothered by this responsibility.

The fate of the children's safety weighed heavily on him. He'd spent half the night tossing and turning, unable to sleep as the ship drew closer to zero hour.

It wasn't just from the families on board.

He owed Beverly this.

"We are approaching the coordinates," Data advised from the Operations console.

"Number One, Mr Data, please join Lieutenant La Forge in the Transporter Room," Picard ordered.

Worf moved to take over Data's position at Operations. They didn't want the Aldean's seeing Data and Riker disappear and grow suspicious.

It was not a moment too soon.

They had no sooner entered a parking orbit when Radue appeared on the viewscreen.

"Captain, we welcome your return. We will beam you down now to conclude our discussions on our terms. Or your ship may leave. It is your choice," Radue announced.

Jean-Luc glanced over to Beverly. She gave him a small, reassuring nod.

"Doctor Crusher and I are prepared to conclude our negotiations," Picard responded.

A moment later, Captain Picard and Beverly were beamed away.

"Transporter Room, now," Tasha ordered as she assumed the Command Chair.

-X-

Beverly was relieved to see that Radue had permitted Wesley to be present at the negotiations.

It seemed the children had kept up their promise to undergo a hunger strike until their demands were met.

Wes looked terrible. He was peaky and clearly suffering from the effects of both radiation sickness and hunger.

"Oh Wes," Beverly remarked.

"We assure you that we have done everything we can to care for your son," Radue said. "His illness is of his own making."

"The children have been surprisingly...persistent," Rashella said. "While I admire their determination. We are concerned."

Jean-Luc bit back the urge to make a smart remark.

Beverly gripped Wesley's hands and turned them over as she searched for the lesions she'd seen two days earlier.

"They're healed," Wes explained.

"We have treated his lesions. He permitted us that much," Radue explained.

"They have medicine for them," Wesley explained.

Beverly stopped and looked to Radue.

"Then you are aware of the radiation," she said.

Radue and Rashella appeared confused by this statement.

"Radiation? We are not familiar with this term," Rashella confessed.

"Is that what you call this illness?" Radue inquired as he indicated to the lesions on his own hand.

"What do you know about it?" Picard asked.

According to Radue, such lesions were common for many Aldeans. The caretaker provided oral tablets and ointments that made the lesions disappear. However, they did not know the cause and had no inkling of how dangerous a sign these wounds were.

"Normally such marks do not appear until older age. However, Wesley entered the forbidden area. It has accelerated his sickness," Radue shared.

"These marks aren't just lesions. They're your body's way of telling you that you're in danger," Beverly explained.

"Our caretaker ensures we are kept safe," Radue said, dismissively.

He had no interest in hearing this nonsense.

"This is a ploy to stall for time. To frighten us," Radue said.

But Rashella was curious. She was part of a younger generation of Aldeans, ones that had begun to question the old ways and the secrecy surrounding their traditions.

She suspected that her father did not know as much about the caretaker as he led on.

"What is radiation?" Rashella asked.

Beverly could see this was their in.

"Subatomic particles of energy," Beverly responded. "Radiation comes from a variety of sources. Power sources. Materials. Even the sun."

Rashella did not understand.

"I have never seen such a thing on Aldea," Rashella replied in earnest.

"Radiation is not visible," Wesley explained, breaking it down in terms she could understand.

"These lesions. Your sensitivity to light. Even your population decline. It's all due to radiation," Beverly said. "I implore you. Please. We can help."

-X-

Worf and Tasha were both waiting alone on the Bridge in silence.

Tasha nearly jumped when the communications array pinged.

"Data to Enterprise," Data's voice rang out.

"Go ahead," Tasha responded.

"We have located the power source and successfully managed to locate the communications system," Data advised.

Worf gave a satisfied grunt from the Operations console.

"Have you been able to neutralise it?" Tasha asked.

"Negative," Riker answered.

The Aldean system was far too complex. Furthermore, their tricorders had indicated dangerous radiation levels in and around the chamber that housed it.

For safety reasons, Data was the only one that could safely enter. Since they couldn't disable the array, they weren't able to use their combadges on the surface.

"We can't beam you back until that system is disabled," Tasha said.

It wasn't safe for them to remain on the surface if the Aldeans still had the power to push away the Enterprise.

However, the team had no way to pull them back through the shield as long as it was in place.

"There is no way to override," Data advised. "It accepts authorised voice command only. Therefore I have scrambled the receiver input. That will buy us time."

With more time, Data was certain he could eventually determine how to use the system.

For the immediate future, this step prevented the Aldeans from sending the Enterprise on another unexpected trip. If they were truly as technologically inept as Wesley had suggested, it was likely the Aldeans would not be able to undo Data's tampering.

-X-

"We can help treat your radiation sickness," Beverly explained.

She was seated at the table to Rashella.

"You won't be healed overnight. It will take time. And the longer someone has been exposed, the more extensive the damage," Beverly said. "May I?"

She pulled her tricorder out and asked if she could examine Rashella.

"Rashella! It could be a trick!" Radue warned.

Ignoring her father, Rashella squared her shoulders.

"Please," Rashella requested of Beverly.

It was just a quick preliminary scan. Beverly would require the full resources of her medical team to make an initial diagnosis. If the Aldeans were in favour of pursuing treatment, then the Enterprise would need to call in a Starfleet Medical ship to properly treat all of the people on the planet.

"See. Painless," Beverly said.

She smiled as she read the results.

"What is it?" Rashella asked.

"Rashella, your radiation sickness is not too advanced. We can treat this," Beverly explained.

"And I'll be able to have children then?" Rashella asked excitedly.

Beverly's smile faltered.

"No," Beverly said with a pang of guilt. "But if we can find and stop what's causing this, then we can save any future generations on Aldea from suffering the same fate."

Rashella's eyes were full of sorrow.

"You would do this for us. Even though we have taken your children?" Rashella asked.

"Our children are our greatest priority. If ensuring their safety requires us to work with those that have placed them in harm, then we will do so," Picard said.

Rashella could sense they were serious in their convictions.

"This is where your children learn their obstinance from," Radue remarked.

Rashella shot him a nasty glare.

"When we first met, you were concerned about one of your people. You called them an elder," Beverly recalled.

"Galor. He has little time left," Rashella said.

The impending death of this Galor was one of the reasons the Aldeans had cited for the urgency of their plan.

"I may be able to help. I'd like to examine Galor. Perhaps, with treatment, we can extend their life," Beverly said.

Radue was having a hard time accepting the crew of the Enterprise would have technologies that were so advanced and foreign. He'd been raised to believe in the supremacy of Aldean technology. And while he did not understand most of it, he trusted that it was superior to what these Federation humans could offer.

Radue had no time to dwell on thought as Data, Geordi, and Commander Riker strolled into the room.

"What is the meaning of this?" Radue demanded.

"Sir, we've secured their caretaker system," Riker informed the room.

Radue was speechless.

"That is impossible! It takes years to learn how to operate," Radue protested.

"And it will take you years to unscramble my audio interference programme," Data replied with his signature irritatingly innocent tone.

Radue pulled out his handheld device and grumbled.

"Now you have done it!" Radue exclaimed.

He tapped the device and attempted to send the crew back to the Enterprise.

Nothing happened.

He tapped it again and frowned.

"Now Radue, we are willing to help you. We will help treat your radiation sickness. Heal your people," Picard offered. "We will investigate what is causing this and work with you to find a solution. We will help you to repair your shield and teach you how to use your technology yourselves."

"Our shield?" Rashella inquired.

"Your shield is failing. There are already small gaps. It will only grow worse," Geordi cautioned.

Radue and Rashella exchanged an alarmed look.

The Aldeans were a peaceful people. They had no will to fight, nor any weapons to do so with. Their shield was the only thing protecting them.

"We will even help you adopt a new generation of Aldeans to foster in your traditions," Picard said.

Rashella looked convinced. Radue looked defeated.

"But you will return our children to the Enterprise," Picard announced. "Those are our terms. And they are non-negotiable."

-X-

"You look like hell," Riker said.

"I feel like it," Wes responded.

"Nice work down there," Riker said as he ruffled Wesley's hair.

Wes had learned the idea of passive resistance from Commander Riker. Riker was always suggesting books for Wes – history, philosophy, and leadership development.

All those hours of Mandela, King, and Walesa had paid off.

From the doorframe Jean-Luc watched the pair – a part of him longing to have the kind of rapport that his First Officer had fostered with the young Mr Crusher.

And a part of him knew that was a line he couldn't cross.

Certainly not if he wanted to maintain the last shred of professionalism he had remaining when it came to the Crusher family.

"Thank you," Beverly said as she came up behind him.

Jean-Luc froze as she planted a chaste kiss on his cheek.

-X-

"I've got you now," Rashella said as she chased Torel around the room.

The wee Bajoran boy was running as fast as his short, chunky legs would carry him. He tripped and rolled over laughing as Rashella tickled him.

For the first time in ages, Aldea was full of the sound of the pitter patter of wee feet and giggling children.

"I never thought it possible," Radue confessed.

He and Captain Picard were walking together along the main pathway in the city.

In the park across the way, a group of musicians were introducing the children to Aldean string instruments.

With the assistance of the Federation, they had been able to place a total of three hundred and forty-eight orphans in a matter of weeks.

They were predominantly Bajoran and refugees from the Border War. There were a number of Cardassian children and Bajoran-Cardassian children as well. A handful of humans rounded out the group.

Best of all, there were plans in place to provide another three hundred children with their forever homes by the year's end.

"They have so much to offer to us. And we have much to learn," Radue went on.

For a people that valued art, music, and philosophy as highly as the Aldeans, the introduction of all these children provided a cultural enrichment the likes of which they had never experienced.

A small Cardassian girl rushed up to Radue.

"Della here has been teaching me all about The Never-Ending Sacrifice," Radue shared as he scooped her up.

Radue closed his eyes and smiled as he listened to the sounds coming from the park.

"And I have never heard such gifted musicians as these Bajoran children. They have such an understanding of the art," Radue praised.

He turned back to the Captain.

"Thank you, Picard," Radue said. "I hope that you can forgive. I was a fool."

"You are no fool, Radue," Picard responded. "Look around you. You have given your people hope. You have breathed new life into Aldea."

It had been six weeks since the Aldeans had agreed to Picard's offer.

He'd immediately sent out a communication to Starfleet Command advising of the situation and requesting both medical and diplomatic backup.

The Enterprise had stayed in orbit until the arrival of the USS Seacole, a medical ship equipped to handle situations like this, and the USS Cecil under the command of Admiral Stevenson and his diplomatic team.

The ship was now stopping back, having delivered the final children of the first group to be placed.

Data had remained behind with an Engineering team during their last back and forth trip transporting the children.

They had installed new radiation blocking construction around the power source and shown the Aldean people how to wear safety suits designed to block out the harmful radiation.

Starfleet Command had sent a team to stay on the planet and work with the Aldean people as they learned to operate their own equipment.

It was an astounding opportunity and Jean-Luc felt a pang of regret that he would not be one of the archaeologists to remain behind.

-X-

Across the city, Data stepped into one of the meeting rooms where Tasha and Deanna were meeting with Rashella.

Rashella was leading the team responsible for ensuring the children settled in. Deanna had warned that these children would need patience and a lot of support.

Many of them had survived the traumatic events of the Border Wars. They were refugees. Some of them had been abandoned, their biracial identity leaving them rejected by both Bajorans and Cardassians.

For several weeks, Deanna and Tasha had helped Rashella prepare for the arrival of the children and develop a plan for therapy and ongoing support as they adjusted.

It was only a small part of the solution, but the Aldean ability to properly identify what an individual's calling was a key component to helping the children settle in.

The Aldean device didn't just read a person's talents. It examined them as a whole and determined what would give one a sense of maximum fulfilment.

These children weren't just being placed based on their skills, they were being housed in a way that would leave them satisfied.

"I contain the ability. As does my father. Eventually, we will pass this on to Della and Torel, the children that will inherit our responsibilities," Rashella explained.

There was a soft gasp in the back of the room.

The three turned to see Data in the doorway.

He was fascinated by the mix of biological and mechanical technology that the Aldeans used. Their caretaker did not just operate on verbal commands – it was actually in tune with Radue's person.

There was an almost telepathic link between the Aldean people and their instruments and tools. Deanna could sense just how focused their minds were. They had assured the crew that, in time, the children would learn to harness such a power.

Radue had even shared that when an Aldean died, their lifeforce joined the great collective that was the caretaker system.

"Captain Picard has requested that we depart," Data announced.

"Take care. The children are in good hands," Deanna said.

"Good luck," Tasha smiled as she gave Rashella a small nod.

"I will be along in a moment," Data advised.

He'd been eager for a chance to speak with Rashella alone for weeks.

Data waited until they were gone and then approached her at the table.

"If it makes your decision any easier, you would not be happy remaining here," Rashella said.

Data's artificial breathing programme momentarily stopped functioning.

"Yes, we can read you too," Rashella smiled.

He had been afraid to ask – terrified that a no would be confirmation he really was nothing more than a machine.

But they could read him.

They could sense something beyond polymer and circuitry, a soul that Data had always suspected was present.

"Rashella, I have spent a great many hours contemplating the meaning of my existence," Data shared.

Hours was an understatement.

Particularly in his earliest years of activation, Data had struggled to understand his purpose in life. There were times when he had lamented his mechanical nature, loathed everything about himself.

He seemed built to work, to serve. It was a frightening prospect to be both self-aware and resigned to life as nothing more than a tool.

The depths of his depression had left Data contemplating whether or not to permanently deactivate himself.

Simply put, he wasn't sure what the point of living was if he couldn't feel alive.

"You are in conflict," Rashella observed.

"I find myself struggling to reconcile my desire to ask the question with my fear of the answer," Data shared.

In the end, his curiosity won out.

It always did.

"You are a creator, Data," Rashella said.

"Because I am a painter?" Data inquired.

Rashella smiled and shook her head.

"What do you see in me?" Data asked softly.

"No, Data. You are an architect. A virtuoso. An engineer. A maker of many things," Rashella explained.

Data cocked his head to the side.

His neural net was piqued.

"You are so imaginative. The capacity of your mind is endless. You are an idealist. You are so informed, and yet you still view the universe with the awe of unclouded eyes," Rashella elaborated.

Data listened to her words intensely as Rashella stepped forward, sharing the content of his character that she could sense.

"Never doubt your path, Data. You will create your own road," Rashella concluded.

"Most intriguing," Data breathed. "Thank you."

Rashella nodded.

"Your ship is waiting," she said as she indicated to the door.

Data turned and began to leave.

He stopped just shy of the door.

"And Lieutenant Yar?" Data asked as he turned around.

For an agonising three seconds, Rashella did not respond.

"Goodbye Data," she said slowly.

-X-

"C'mon, Harry," Lieutenant Bernard said as he scooped up his son. "Let's go tackle that geometry assignment."

"Oh, Mr Data?" Harry said as he wiggled out of his father's arms.

He rushed over to Data and handed him a small origami whale.

"I want you to have this," Harry said as he handed it to Data.

They had just completed their third lesson on the art of origami and Harry was a natural.

"Thank you," Data responded as he accepted the piece.

"Thanks, Commander," Doctor Bernard said as they waved goodbye.

After cleaning up his classroom, Data headed to Ten Forward to join the rest of the team.

Things were settling in following their transport missions to Aldea and the team was preparing for their upcoming mission to Haven. It was a pleasure planet. And while the team did have a mission to complete, they were planning to stay docked a few extra days to enjoy the benefits of the picturesque world.

By the time Data reached Ten Forward, things were in full swing.

He slid into an open seat between Geordi and Commander Riker. Tasha was across the table chatting with Deanna and Worf.

It was long after his arrival that Guinan appeared with a fresh round of drinks.

"A fresh round of pints. A Manhattan for the First Officer. A bowel banger for the Klingon," Guinan quipped as she passed Worf his signature prune juice.

She pulled a lavish, bright drink in a wide-rimmed glass and passed it to Deanna.

"Your Samarian Sunset," Guinan announced. "White wine for the Doctor. And two green smoothies."

She passed one to Keiko and one to Tasha.

The fact Tasha wasn't drinking her usual whisky had not gone unnoticed by Geordi.

"Where did you get such a lovely necklace?" Beverly asked as she eyed Guinan's new piece dangling on top of her bright purple gown.

It was a small crystalline carving that seemed to glow softly. It rested on a long, fine silver chain. The craftsmanship was remarkable.

"Oh this? I picked it up on Aldea," Guinan replied.

"Why did you choose a moth?" Deanna asked.

"I didn't," Guinan shrugged.

Deanna's brow furrowed.

"The artist that made this explained that she reads people and sculpts each individual piece based on them. Every carving is as unique as the individual that wears it," Guinan explained. "Apparently moths have the best hearing in the animal world."

"That is true," Data chimed in.

Guinan slipped the necklace off and handed it to Beverly so she could examine it up close.

"This looks almost like those figurines they gave us when we first met the Aldeans," Beverly said.

"Yes, she said that they had gifted some of her work to the crew," Guinan said.

Beverly handed the necklace back and then sighed.

"Wish we knew what our figurines were supposed to symbolise," she lamented.

"The Aldeans probably used all that surveillance to make them," Deanna said.

"Excuse me," Guinan said as she stepped away to the bar.

She returned a moment later with a small, handbound book.

"Symbolism is highly important to the Aldean people. I also picked this up during my time there," Guinan shared as she held up the book.

It was a guide to Aldean symbolism.

"Well I got an apple," Riker said.

"I'm guessing they've never tried your cooking," Deanna teased.

Guinan flipped through the book until she found the appropriate symbol.

"In Aldean, they call them Maar and they are said to symbolise love and happiness," Guinan read.

Riker flashed Deanna a proud grin before taking a swig of his pint.

"I was given a phoenix," Worf announced.

"It seems some things are universal. Rebirth," Guinan said.

"Ooo! Ooo! I got a badger!" Miles said.

Guinan shot him a look over the top of the book.

"What?" Miles asked as he glanced around the table.

"Endurance and tenacity. I don't think you needed a badger to figure that out," Guinan smirked.

As they went around the table, it seemed everyone really had received figurines that aligned with their individual traits.

"How about you, T?" Geordi asked.

"An archer," Tasha responded.

Guinan flipped through a few more pages until she found the appropriate symbol.

"Patience. Virginity. Grannus Hecataine," Guinan said with a shrug.

Everyone looked to Data for an explanation of the strange term.

Grannus Hecataine.

Although his time on Aldea had been short, Data had made the most of it. He'd managed to read through a whopping three percent of Aldea's library including a basic understanding of their system of governance, history, archaeological records, and mythos.

He recognised the term instantly from one of their creation myth stories.

"Protection," Data lied as he locked eyes with Tasha.

"Well, two out of three I guess," Tasha laughed as the team clinked their glasses together.

"It's kind of sad in a way. The people of Aldea will live on but the legend will die," Riker sighed.

He'd been so excited when they'd first discovered the trail of breadcrumbs. The reality had been nothing like what he'd anticipated.

"So what's everyone planning to do on Haven?" Geordi asked the group.

"Keiko and I are going on some cruise she booked," Miles shrugged. "Dunno really. I guess shuffleboard."

Keiko hit his arm playfully.

"It's a cruise that goes through all of the port cities on Haven's ocean and passes through the marine wildlife preserve outside of the capital. We'll be kayaking and snorkelling," Keiko shared.

She grinned as she looped her arm through Miles's and rested her head on his shoulder. He was downplaying their trip, but on the inside Miles was thrilled.

"Oh that sounds lovely!" Beverly said.

As Wes was still recovering from his radiation exposure, Beverly had booked accommodations at a local health spa. She hoped it would give him a chance to unwind in an atmosphere that would still provide the care he needed.

"What about you, Deanna?" Geordi asked.

"I'm going to enjoy the single life," Deanna grinned.

She was planning to spend their shore leave time with a good book on the beach.

Even though many people assumed Deanna was an extrovert because of her warm personality, she cherished her alone time.

"And you, Commander?" Geordi asked Riker.

Riker finished his pint and set the glass back down on the table.

"I'll be one cabana over enjoying my own good book," Riker smiled.

The beauty of their relationship was that they shared a mutual respect for their alone time. They'd get together for dinner, perhaps even a couple's massage, but they were both free to enjoy some rest and relaxation in the quite comfort of being totally alone.

"Data, could you help me carry some of this back to the bar?" Guinan asked as she eyed the growing stack of empty glasses.

"Of course," he replied politely.

"So why did you lie?" Guinan asked as soon as they were clear of the group.

Data did his best to feign innocence.

Guinan paused putting the glasses in the reprocessor and gave him a hard look.

Data's resolve faltered.

"How did you know I was lying?" Data asked as he eyed her carefully.

"Let's just say you have a tell," Guinan offered.

She reached for the tray and moved another two glasses to the reprocessor. Then she wiped her hands with a nearby bar towel.

"Well?" Guinan pressed.

"Well what?" Data asked in response.

Had it been anyone else, Guinan would have assumed they were just trying to stall.

"What does it really mean?" Guinan inquired.

Data weighed his options. He did not want to reveal the meaning of the phrase. Putting it to words, speaking it aloud felt like crossing a line that Data was not comfortable stepping past.

However, Data also recognised that if he were to share such information with Guinan it would go no further. This was not something he could say to Counsellor Troi or Geordi.

This felt almost spiritual in a way.

It was spooky.

And Data didn't want Geordi reading into it or Deanna analysing it – despite Data's desire to share the burden of this information with someone.

"Data?" Guinan asked.

"Sacrifice," Data answered.

Guinan paused. There was a brief, indecipherable flash of something in her eyes as they looked past Data's shoulder to the table.

She recovered a moment later.

"Data, that word can mean a lot of different things," Guinan said.

"I understand that," Data responded. "What I do not understand is why you are attempting to make me feel better."

Guinan may have been the expert on body language, but Data came close to rivalling her ability to read the facial microexpressions of others.

He was pulled from his thoughts as Tasha hissed and clutched the lower right side of her abdomen.

"Excuse me," Data said, concerned.

By the time he reached the table, Tasha was waving off Beverly.

"I'm fine," she insisted.

"You're flushed," Beverly observed as she pressed the back of her hand to Tasha's face.

"Well I ate an entire jar of pincha peppers before coming here," Tasha laughed.

She hissed again as a fresh wave of pain gripped her body.

"I'm fine," Tasha repeated. "I think I'm going to call it a night."

-X-

Data and Tasha left Ten Forward together. She had assured him no less than sixteen times between the lift and her door that she would be fine in a moment.

After slipping into her sleep shorts and brushing her teeth, Tasha climbed into bed with Data.

He spooned up behind her and reached around to pull her close.

Tasha yelped as soon as his hand made contact with her abdomen.

Tasha grimaced and pushed his hand away.

"Sorry," she apologised.

Her abdomen had been tender all afternoon – and it was getting worse.

Most alarming of all was the fact Tasha had no idea why she was feeling so sick. It wasn't radiation sickness. The situation on Aldea had been fixed weeks earlier and the symptomatology was all wrong.

Tasha's field medical training led her to believe it must be some kind of stomach bug. But she really didn't want to rush to Sickbay for an endless round of tests for something that could very well be self-inflicted gut rot from her proclivity for spicy food.

Payback. Tasha mused.

Guinan had often warned her that sooner or later the day would come when she wouldn't be able to pack away Nuclear Nosh Bean Nuggets, Hasperat, or spicy pickles without suffering the consequences.

Tasha had been holding out hope that day wouldn't come for a long time.

"Are you alright?" Data inquired.

He gently pressed down against her abdomen.

Tasha whimpered and willed herself not to cry.

"I'm fine," she squeaked.

"You do not seem fine," Data replied.

With considerable effort, Tasha rolled and flashed him a smile.

"I think my stomach's just a bit queasy. Why don't you be the little spoon tonight?" Tasha offered as she snuggled up next to him, mindful to place a safe distance between Data and her tender abdomen.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.7K 1.4K 20
Kirk and Spock both begin to have feelings for each other. They go to Bones for help, but realize that some things you can't learn from others; you h...
3K 46 39
Book 1: Data Lore Desire Book 2: Desired Data Dezirae (meaning: so long hoped for, crave, desire, much desired origin: Latin & French) Dez to her fri...
14.2K 726 7
Spock had never tried it himself, but knew it was possible through stories and experiences from the Vulcan Elders, and as he moved to Kirk's side he...
155K 3.4K 186
just some random Star Trek imagines mostly original series and next generation. Characters I write are Spock Kirk Data Riker McCoy/bones Q We...