The Elites

By AspiringAlina

Chloe Summers is a part of a group of five students called The Elites. She, along with the other members, exc... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25

Chapter 5

977 22 1
By AspiringAlina

Chloe

Chloe bit her lip, staring at the list of things she had to accomplish the upcoming weekend. Pay the bills. Clean the house. Grab her father's medicines. More. She sighed, leaning back on the couch in the game room of the Elites building, wishing for just one weekend she could do nothing. Just be a regular nineteen year old and relax, but the world was never so forgiving. From a young age, she had learned all it did was take and take and take mercilessly.

"Why so glum, chum?" Sophia asked, plopping down next to Chloe on the couch.

Chloe forced a smile, tucking her phone away in her skirt and Sophia beamed at her. Chloe had never told Sophia in detail what she'd be dealing with, but she could tell Sophia worried about her by the way she often dotted on her and sent texts to check up on her frequently.

"Nothing," Chloe said. "What's up with you?"

"Nothing much," Sophia sighed, leaning back against the couch. "Actually, I was thinking on my way here that I wish university wouldn't end. This life is too good and I can't imagine becoming a real adult." Sophia shivered, making Chloe giggle. "Yikes."

"Really? I look forward to the next stage of my life."

"Why?"

"I don't know. I just like the stability of a full-time job... It would be nice to be settled instead of worrying about becoming successful enough."

"Successful enough for your dad you mean, right?" Sophia whispered.

Chloe tensed. Sophia knew her father was ill. She also knew Chloe cooked, cleaned and took care of her father after Chloe had reluctantly admitted it when Sophia demanded she tell her why she couldn't hang out on weekends as much anymore and Chloe regretted telling her in moments like this. She hated having someone know her weakness. She hated being pitied because her father hadn't chosen his illness and she could handle it. She was okay despite Sophia's constant worrying.

"Yeah, it's... hard to do all this with a part time job." Chloe paused, already feeling like she said too much. Her father got disability paycheques, but it only came up to a thousand dollars. It wasn't enough and Chloe tried her best to fill in all the other finances with her part time job, but even Sophia didn't know that. Sophia thought she had a job to pay for school. "And with school, it's really hard to balance everything... But, it's okay. It's good experience for when I get a full time job."

"Oh Chloe, is there any way I can help you? I can help you clean! Or help you with your homework, even though you probably would do a better job at it... But please tell me Chloe if you need any help, you seem so tired lately. You don't have to do this all on your own."

Chloe flushed. Her eyes lowered to the rug beneath their feet, wishing she could disappear. She didn't need help. For months, she handled everything and she was sure she could handle it for the years to come. She didn't want to burden anyone with her life. And she didn't have to, so why would she ask for help?

"It's fine," Chloe said. "I've been managing and in just two more years we'll graduate. Things will become easier, I'm sure."

Sophia frowned, but she didn't push. "How's your dad been?"

"He's..." Terrible. Ill. Depressed. Those words flashed before Chloe's mind, but she held her tongue, not wanting to taint the image of her father. Her dad had been the best father anyone could ask for before the stroke and she would always hold onto that image of him. Illness would never change the person he truly was. "Holding up. I think he's struggling with the change, but every day he becomes better. Well, not better I guess, but he learns how to live with his new body and mind. Each day becomes easier."

Kind of. Chloe forced a smile, hoping Sophia would believe her, and Sophia nodded. There was a sadness in Sophia's eyes that crushed Chloe, but Chloe didn't want to continue talking about her family or struggles. If she could, she would keep it locked away forever.

"I'm sorry you have to deal with this so young," Sophia whispered. "Truly, let me know if I can help in any way."

Chloe shrugged. "Life is unfair, but that doesn't mean life is bad. I can do this. I believe in me."

Sophia smiled warmly and Chloe's eyes drifted to the rug beneath the couch they sat on. And suddenly, feet pounded against the floor, closing in on her.

"What are you sulking about?" Nash asked.

Chloe's eyes darted to meet his and she froze, thinking back to the games day. That was the last time they'd seen each other – days ago when Nash had fallen on top of her and she'd been acutely aware of how close they were and how brown his eyes were. Flush had filled his cheeks and she could feel his heartbeat against her chest, stammering and Chloe had to break the moment. For her, it had been too intense – too personal and she hated herself for annoying him. She hated how he wouldn't meet her eyes. At least, not until now.

"I'm sorry if I offended you at Games day," Chloe whispered.

Nash seemed taken aback and Chloe bit her lip, hoping he'd accept her apology. It had freaked her out how upset he seemed. He was always awfully cranky, but avoiding her was rare.

"What are you apologizing for?" Nash muttered. "You did nothing wrong. I hope I didn't hurt you when I... I fell."

Chloe didn't say anything for a moment. Once again, Nash's eyes rose to the ceiling, avoiding her gaze once more and Chloe felt her heart stutter, wishing she could call him out for it, but it would only make him more uneasy and she just wanted them to continue their games. She wanted to keep being distracted.

"Why are you here?" Sophia asked, breaking the tension. "Just to stare up at the ceiling."

Nash scowled at her and Sophia smiled back smugly. He rolled his eyes before finally meeting Chloe's eyes again.

"I wanted to challenge you to a day of games," Nash said. "Not athletic games, but arcade games. I used to be a gamer before. It was my specialty before I fell in love with calculus, and I'm sure you can't beat me in this. We can go tomorrow, if you're not too afraid."

Chloe stiffened. He wanted to hang out on Saturday? Outside of school hours? Chloe tried her best to remain composed. She wanted to – she really did, but tomorrow was the day she had to clean and take care of her dad and just handle things.

"Ou, are you asking her out on a date, Nash?" Sophia teased. "Finally. I think we've all been waiting for this moment since last year."

Nash scowled, his hands curling into fists. "I'm challenging her to a duel, dimwit. Not taking her out for dinner."

"Jeez, you woke up on the wrong side of the bed today."

Nash rolled his eyes, but his eyes landed back on Chloe again. "Well, do you accept or are you too scared?"

Chloe bit her lip harder. She wanted to agree. She wanted to let loose and get lost in the competition, but her father. Her duties. How could she throw it away just to have fun?

"I need to ask my dad." Chloe said. "Can I let you know?"

"You need to ask your dad? How old are you?"

Chloe winced. Her cheeks heated up and her eyes fell to ground. Once again, she wished to disappear. She wished to cease existing. Just for her to feel okay for a moment.

"I'm sorry," Nash said. Both Chloe and Sophia whipped their heads to stare at him, stunned. "Take your time, but how will you let me know?"

For a moment, Chloe couldn't reply. Nash Andrews apologizing to her? That was unheard of. Rare. Nash never sacrificed his ego and next to her, Sophia also gaped at him.

"Just give me your number," Nash sighed. "I'll call you tomorrow and let me know if your dad lets you go out, okay?"

"Oh, okay."

Nash pulled out his phone and Chloe took it, inputting her phone number before handing it back to Nash, who shoved it into the pocket of his pants. He crossed his arms over his chest to stare at her, his eyes roaming around her face before he stepped back, gulping in the process.

"Well, I'll see you tomorrow... maybe," Nash said. "See you."

"Bye," Chloe whispered, but it was too late. Nash had always stalked off, leaving the games room.

"Wow, did Nash just apologize? To you, too?" Sophia laughed, shaking her head. "I thought I was dreaming for a moment."

Chloe shrugged, feeling shy. Nash had almost seemed sorry before her left and Chloe worried about whether she freaked him out with her reaction to his comment.

"You know, I did think he was a jerk, but maybe he isn't too bad... sometimes." Sophia shook her head. "Or at least to you, maybe he could be alright."

Chloe shook her head. She doubted Nash would ever be anything but his hot headed competitive self. But she didn't mind that. In fact, she welcomed that in a world that strived to be perfect. Because sometimes, she wished she could be more like Nash. Honest. Unapologetic. Free. She wished to be more true to herself. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.8K 2.2K 35
College is supposed to be about nothing but partying and preparing you for the rest of your life, right? Meeting the love of your life and your lifel...
74.3K 2.6K 26
The Nerd, the Jock, the Rebel, the Leader, the Elite, the Nice Student. Different personalities have come together for your typical high school drama...
358 22 30
It's my final year; for my friends, for the parties, for the laughs, and most of all - it's the last year I will ever have to see him again. Scarlet...
63 1 14
Ashley, her best friend Andy, her brother Noah and her school mates Lexi, Maddi and Alex are chosen to take part in a competition, representing the U...