Skylar's Wish • Rooster

By 18_Ace_18

After graduating top of her class at Top Gun. Lt. Savannah 'Skylar' Kazansky got deployed to the Bering Sea... More

The Beginning
Cast List
Chapter 1: Home
Chapter 2: Hard Deck
Chapter 3: Introduction
Chapter 5: Time
Chapter 6: Karaoke and Kissing?
Chapter 7: Beach Day
Chapter 8: Memory Lane
Chapter 9: Eject
Chapter 10: Bye Pops
Chapter 11: Quick Intermission
Chapter 12: Final Step
Chapter 13: Teams
Chapter 14: Go Time
Chapter 15: Missing
Chapter 16: After

Chapter 4: Pool and Dancing

2.5K 46 4
By 18_Ace_18

Pulling up outside Phoenix and I's dorm house. We see a familiar blue jeep parked in front and a man sitting in our rocking chairs. "Rooster, what the hell are you doing on my front porch?" I ask while walking up the stairs.
"I'm here to see you, Darling." Rooster stand up out of the rocking chair, leaving the rocking chair rocking against the deck while walking towards us.

Behind me, I hear Phoenix gag and mumble something about 'love-sick pilots' as she walks past us and into the house. Watching our screen door creek open and slam shut, I chuckle at her dramatic exit. "And I was wondering if you and Phoenix want to come to the Hard Deck with the rest of us." Suddenly, Phoenix is back at the door with a giant smile on her face. "Hell yeah! But let us change first." I look down at my outfit, consisting of jeans covered in spots of paint, one of my dad's old Navy shirts, and red Converse. "I think I look fine," I tell her with a shrug. We're going to the Hard Deck, not a fancy restaurant. Phoenix opens the door so hard that it flies into the siding and drags me inside. "See you there, Rooster!" I yell. I hear him laugh over the slamming of the screen door, while I assume he walked off the porch.

I sit on my bed watching Phoenix dig through my dresser to find 'perfect' outfit. "You have nothing nice to wear!!" She yells dramatically. "I have nice clothes." I sigh, leaving the comfort of my warm bed. Reaching into a drawer, I pull out a pair of light wash bell bottoms. Lifting them over my shoulder, I show them to Phoenix, who hmms in approval. I dig through another drawer and pull out a red, kind-of see through, button down and a plain black crop top. I again lift the two options over my shoulder for Phoenix to choose. She stared at the two shirts for so long that I thought that she left the room or fell asleep. Suddenly, a shirt is ripped from my hand, I subconsciously look to the other and see the black shirt is still there. "This one, as long as you wear a lace black bra under it." She smiles and throws the outfit at me before leaving my room to find her outfit.

After changing, I look at myself in the full-length mirror. My brown hair is curled, make-up that enhances my face shape. My eyes travel down to my shirt, My red button down is pair with a black lace bra, like Phoenix had suggested, is half tucked into my jeans. My jeans hugged my hips perfectly while flowing loose over my calves.

I grabbed my black naval jacket that I had previously thrown on my bed, my red Converse that I had kicked off while sitting in my bed, and my Aviators that were waiting in the pocket of my naval jacket. I walk out to our living room, I see Phoenix standing in a yellow crop top with medium wash skinny jeans, and brown sandals.

...

Walking up to the counter, "Want a beer, Savannah?" I nod. Penny grabs a beer and walks over to me. "$3.00, honey." I reach into my pocket to grab cash, but a hand stops me. "Put it on my tab, Penny." She nods and turns away. I turn and look at him, "Rooster, I can pay for my own beer." I take the opportunity to look at his choice of attire. He is, of course, wearing another Hawaiian shirt- this time it's blue, paired with a white shirt underneath. He's wearing blue jeans and white sneakers. Rooster coughs bring my attention off his clothes and back up to his face. My cheeks turn a shade of pink as he repeats what he was saying. "Well, I figured that if I buy you a beer, you will have to dance with me." I laugh, "Maybe later, Pretty Boy." I turn and walk away, hearing Rooster behind me saying that he'll be waiting.

"Oh look, the lovebirds decided to grace us with their presents!" Hangman cheers, clearly already having a few drinks. I hear some chuckles from our little group. I not-so-subtly flip Hangman off before heading over to the pool table. "The Champion has arrived!" Phoenix yells, raising her beer to me. "Really?" "No way?" I shake my head, ignoring the doubtful comments. "Who wants to try to beat Skylar?" Phoenix asks, sounding like an auctioneer getting ready to auction off an item. "Rooster?" I see Rooster shake his head, and he answers with a slight chuckle, "No way, tried that the first time."

I smile at the memory. When we first arrived, I was showing My RIO, Bri, the good places around base. Of course, the Hard Deck was the last place on the list. After a while, we were here so often that we started a tradition, where in every bar we go to- ones that had a pool table- we would play a few rounds (best of three) and the loser would buy the beer for that night. It was like all the other games, it was close. Bri and I had each won a round, leaving us: 1 to 1. We were on our final round, when a group of rowdy pilots came over to the table and started watching us. That round was pretty even, down to the last ball. I had won after a lucky shot, placing the eight ball in the far left side. 

After losing, Bri had left to get us some beer. Then Rooster walks over with the biggest smirk on his face. I remembered he asked me if I was any good. And when I answered yes, he challenged him to a round. He said he would buy me my next beer if I won and if he won, I would have to sleep with him. I accepted. A part of me was hoping that I would lose, I mean he was hot, and I wanted to get laid. So, I set up the balls and broke them. He was pretty good, I wouldn't lie. Until he got cocky, he ended up shooting one of my balls in. After that, it all went downhill for him. I ended up winning, but he challenged me again and again and again. He never won a single round- he was close on the last one. The next morning, when I showed up at Top Gun, the embarrassment on his face was priceless. Especially, when he learned I was an Admiral's daughter. After class, I came over to apologize. After that, we became good friends.

I was snapped out of the memory when someone said they'll play me. I see Fanboy walking up to me. Handing him a cue stick and going back to racking the triangle. When I was done, I rolled it back and forth a few times before removing the rail and starting the game. I gesture for Fanboy to break. When he snaps the cue ball forward into the triangle of balls- they scatter. Unlucky for him, none of the balls go into the pockets. I hand Rooster my beer before walking up to the table. I see that the solid green 6 was a straight on shot to a pocket. I snap it in. Moving onto the yellow 1, it was a harder shot. The cue ball would have to graze the side of the yellow ball in order for it to go into that pocket. So, I snap my cue stick forward, the yellow ball making it in. None of the others are a clear shot, so I target the purple 4. It moves closer to the pocket before it's Fanboy's turn again.

This time he made two of his own in, the blue 10 and the green 14. There were straightforward shots, nothing special about them. Done and done. The game was a close one all the way to the end. Both of us trying to make our balls in while hitting the other person's away from the pockets. Looking at the table, there's my blue 2 and Fanboy's purple 12. Along with the black 8 and white cue ball. I watch as Fanboy leans over the table, he draws back the cue stick and snaps the cue ball over to the purple 12.  Everyone was watching, it was almost silent as we all watched it roll closer to the pocket. It slowed, almost came to a complete stop, but it fell in. A cheer erupted from our friends.

I study Fanboy's face. There's a look of determination and a small – barely noticeable – smirk. As he bends over again, I watch as his eyebrows scrunch together; a sign of concentration. My eyes moved down to his shoulder, they were a little tight from the stress, his elbows locked at an angle. His cue stick is resting on his last three fingers, while his point is pressed over it. I snapped out of my daze by the pop of the cue stick hitting the white ball. I watch as it rolls closer to the 8. When it makes contact, the black 8 rolls straight into the side of the table, missing the pocket. But it hits my blue 2, a little closer to the pocket. There was a collective sigh, amongst our group. "So closer, man!" Payback claps Fanboy on the shoulder.

I walk around to where Fanboy is standing. "Move your ass, Lieutenant." I say with a small smile. I raise my hand to his shoulder and give him a slight push in the opposite direction. "You're in my way." I hear a few unfamiliar chuckles. Two which I have never heard before. I look over my shoulder to see Payback and Fanboy standing with a cheeky smile plastered on their faces. Shaking my head, letting out a small chuckle myself. I refocus on my play at hand. The black 8 is in the perfect spot if, and only if, I can get the cue ball to stay closer to the wall after hitting the blue 2 in that pocket. I take a deep breath, that I don't release. I line up my cue stick with the ball and snap it forward. It's like slow motion. I watch as the cue ball rolls towards the side of the blue ball, it makes contact. My eyes move to the blue 2 and watch as it rolls toward the end pocket and falls in. I finally release that breath. My eyes snap back to the cue ball, it's a little far from the edge, but it will work. Moving around to the right side of the rectangle table. I rest my fist on the green, place my pool stick parallel with the long side. My plan is to make the black 8 to the other side of the table and into that pocket. And I watch as the white ball hits the 8 ball, and it shoots down the side of the table straight into the pocket. I stand straight up, hearing the cheers from around me. "Only Sky could make that shot!" I hear Phoenix brag to some pilot. I turn around to Fanboy. Sticking out my hand for a shake, "Better luck next time, Fanboy."
"Yah. Yah." Fanboy say while returning my shake and smile.

Feeling something cold on my neck. I turned around so fast that I almost lost balance. "What the hell was that?" I see Rooster standing in front of me with my- still cold – beer in his hands. "Did you put that on my neck?" I reach to the back of my neck and feel a wet circle from the bottom of the beer bottle. "You looked hot," Rooster says with a shrug. As soon as his words hit me, my cheek started to turn pink. "Hot like temperature. Not that you don't look hot because you do. It's... A... Never mind." I watch as Rooster cheeks, ears, and neck all turn a bright red.

I take my beer from Rooster hands, mumbling a thanks before going to walk around him. Before I could, Rooster grabbed a hold of my arm, pulling me to a stop. "Skylar, you owe a dance with me." He offers me his hand. A pause before taking it, "It better be a good song or I'm leaving your ass on the dance floor." I tell him in all seriousness. He smiles, promising I'll love it. I take a long drink of my beer before putting next to Phoenix on the table and take his hand, letting him pull me to the jukebox. I look around his shoulder and see Rooster changes the song to I Don't Dance by Lee Brice. I laugh as he drags me to the dance floor. He spins me into him. I wrap my arms around his neck. He places his hands on my waist.

I'll never settle down
That's what I always thought
Yeah, I was that kind of man
Just ask anyone
I don't dance, but here I am

His feet start to move. Making mine move with him. I lift my head and look up into Rooster's chocolate eyes. He looks down into my sky blue. Before he starts to spin me around, like the song says.

Spinnin' you 'round and 'round in circles
It ain't my style, but I don't care
I'd do anything with you anywhere
Yes, you got me in the palm of your hand
'Cause I don't dance

He spins me back into him. We continue dancing in sync. Staring into each other's eyes. Out of the corner of my eyes, I see more couples dancing around us. A smile creeps into my face. Rooster leans down next to my ear, "What are you smiling about, Darling?" I turn my head to his ear, "Look what you started." Rooster pulls his head back up and looks around at all the dancing couples. He looks down at me and shrugs.

Love's never come my way
I've never been this far
'Cause you took these two left feet
And waltzed away with my heart
No, I don't dance, but here I am

Rooster again listens to the words of the song. He removes his hands from my waist, takes my hands from around his neck, and he spins me out from his body then back into him.

Spinnin' you 'round and 'round in circles
It ain't my style, but I don't care
I'd do anything with you anywhere
Yes, you got me in the palm of your hand girl

Wrapping my arms around his neck, his hands return to my waist. I lay my head into his chest, listening to his heart beat. I smile when I feel the vibration of Rooster singing in a low, quiet voice – only for me.

Cause, I don't dance
Oooh. I don't dance. Oou oou oou oou
I don't dance, but here I am
Spinnin' you 'round and 'round in circles

I take my head off his chest as he spins me around once again. I see that his eyes are trained somewhere over my shoulder. He leans down next to my ear and whispers, "Everyone is watching us." A shiver runs down my back, at the unexpected warmth his breath is giving. I shrug and whisper back, "So let them." He smiles before again spinning me around.

It ain't my style, but I don't care
But I'd do anything with you anywhere
Oh I don't dance, but here I am
Spinnin' you 'round and around in circles

It ain't my style, but I don't care
I'd do anything with you anywhere
Yeah, you got me in the palm of your hand, girl
'Cause, I don't dance
Ou. No. Whoou oou oou ou

As the song ends, Rooster spins me away from his body one last time. But when he spins back in, he dips me back. I squeal in surprise, he just laughs as he brings me back up. Standing up straight, I look into Rooster's brown eyes and find that he's already looking into mine. I watch as his eyes move between my eyes to my lips before he starts to lean in. He was almost touching my lips, "Savannah, come dance with me," a drunk Phoenix yells walking over to us.

I smile up at Rooster, he looks almost annoyed. I smile and kiss his cheek. "I should dance with her," I pause and look at her, "then take her home." He nods and kisses my forehead, "See you tomorrow, Darling." "See ya," I try to say with confidence, but it comes out softer. The power this man has over me, I swear, I will melt.

My attention is turned to Phoenix as she crashes into me, "You and Rooster are so cute together. If I were you, I would have sex with him like tonight," she says. My eyes widen, I slap my hand over her mouth, afraid that Rooster will hear. "Natasha! How many beers have you had?"

"Two and four shots of whiskey," she says, holding up five fingers. I shake my head, "Okay, you get one dance. Then we should get you home," Natasha nods excitedly. We dance and laugh until the song is over. And then another and another, but eventually, I caught her hand, "Let's get you home."
"No, I want to dance with my hot stranger. It's not far that you got too," she yells, pulling out of my grip and running back to the dance floor to find her 'hot stranger'. I let out a breathy laugh before turning to go find the one group that will help me find her. I walk up to the table full of my fellow pilots. "Will one of you go find Phoenix and carry her to my truck?" Rooster turns to me, "Where'd she go?" I point to the dance floor, "She ran away to find a 'hot stranger' to dance with. She's mad that I got to dance with a 'hot stranger' but not her."
"I'll get her," Hangman says, putting down his beer. Shocked, I turn to Rooster, who looks as shocked as me. "Is he drunk or did something happen between them?"

Payback laughs, "They bonded over beer and whiskey shots. Oh, and how cute of a couple you too would be." "Really?" Rooster and I speak at the same time. There are a few yeps and nods in the group. I hear a familiar drunk scream coming towards us, "How do you deal with her?" Hangman asks me with Phoenix hanging over his shoulder screaming and hitting him. I shrug, "She's a character, that's for sure." I lean over and kiss Rooster cheek, "Thank you for the dance, 'hot stranger'."
"Anything for you, Darling." I signal for Hangman to follow me over to my truck.

After fighting with Phoenix, who was very upset, to get in the truck and not kiss Hangman. She's going to regret that in the morning. I finally make her promise that I will take her dancing another night, and I drive us back to the dorm house.

...

I love to think that Rooster would dance with you anywhere and at anytime.

Till the next chapter, My Loves!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.8K 275 30
Emerson Blackwood and Skye Kazansky had dreamed of becoming pilots for as long as they could remember. Through an extensive amount of training at the...
96.5K 1.8K 34
Eleanor Bradshaw was always seen as a ray of light to her mom and older brother following Goose's untimely death. She always connected instantly wit...
5.4K 90 11
After more than 30 years of service as one of the Navy's top aviators, Pete "Maverick" Mitchell is where he belongs, pushing the envelope as a courag...
11.7K 459 14
Top Gun is where the best of the best train their skills. Aiden "Hotshot" Kazansky is one of them. With his fathers last name, many expected nothing...