Fishing With Granddad

Door JohnAndersErickson

A short excerpt from the novel Vikings & Pirates: Tales of My Fathers about my first big solo catch in the Gu... Meer

Fishing With Granddad

4 0 0
Door JohnAndersErickson

I was 11 and the fish outweighed me by 15 pounds. But I'd hooked her and I was going to bring her in if I dislocated both of my shoulders in the process. Because that's what Granddad told me to do and I was too dumb to know I couldn't. I don't know how long I fought her. Maybe a year. Maybe a decade. Forever. I'm still fighting her. That's how much heart she had, how much fear.

I was too skinny and weak to pull her in, but I was stubborn. Or was expected to be, so I was. I held on like my life was on the line. I don't know why it didn't break. I couldn't feed it out fast enough. She kept pulling it taut. Maybe she'd done it before, was expecting a snap and freedom. But my hook stayed set. I hung on, kept giving her slack. Sweet Jesus, did she jump. I thought my rig would break, my wrists. Sweat swamped me, stung my eyes, but I couldn't wipe it away. I wanted to rub my knee. I wanted to quit. I wanted to show her, maybe Granddad, maybe me, who was boss. I didn't know what else to do, but I held her. In the end, her own strength, stubbornness cost her her life. She wore herself out and gave up her side. I gaffed her but it took both of us to haul her in.

On the deck, she was just a big, dead trash-fish. I always cut them loose now. Wake them up and watch them swim away. But she was my first and Granddad thought I needed to see it through. To know that I was capable and what I was capable of. She was strong and living and free and I decided to end that. I made a choice. I acted. I succeeded. A life ended. She died. That was what Granddad needed me to understand. That's what it means to be a man.

We brought her back in, to be admired by whoever might be around, but left the carcass with a guy on the beach who said he'd chop it up for chum for crab traps. Tarpon are garbage to eat. Too bony.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

43.2K 826 45
Short scenarios for your favorite characters! (Well the male characters at least) The characters included are Alastor, Angel Dust, Sir Pentious, Husk...
28.9M 916K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
23M 805K 69
"The Hacker and the Mob Boss" ❦ Reyna Fields seems to be an ordinary girl with her thick-framed glasses, baggy clothes, hair always up in a ponytail...
55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...