Gone Girl.ยน

By maenadscult

Spin your own yarn of fate and in the end, tell me, was it worth it? percy jackson ๐’™ f!oc battle of the... More

Gonฮต Gฮนrl.
Graphic Gallery!
I. The Battle of the Labyrinth
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ. a hole in the sky
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฎ. out of time
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฏ. impossible choices
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฐ. coming back home
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฑ. rachel elizabeth dare
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฒ. finding daedalus
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿณ. fatal hairbrush
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿด. the dying god
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿต. fallen heroes
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฌ. cruel summer
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿญ. perfect family
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฎ. august in blue
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฏ. the truth
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฐ. family dinner
II. The Last Olympian
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฑ. nightmares or memories?
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฒ. visions of death
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿณ. the big prophecy
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿด. hades' grand plan
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿต. a mother's blessing
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฌ. underworld trip
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿญ. the mortal point
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฎ. keep holding on
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฏ. monsters and bumper cars
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฐ. to love is to sacrifice
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฑ. could never hate you
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿณ. meeting with a god
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿด. (can't) let go
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿต. we are not the heroes
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ. the executioner
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿญ. oaths fulfilled
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฎ. birthday presents
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฏ. family line
Epilogue
Bonus: The Staff of Hermes
Author's Note + Memes

๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฒ. missing puzzle pieces

4.1K 211 185
By maenadscult

gone girl.
━━━ chapter twenty six

Even during a war, the dreams didn't stop.

At first Amaryllis saw her brother, Nico, standing alone in the gardens of Hades. He'd just dug a hole in one of
Persephone's flower beds, which she didn't figure would make the queen very happy.

He poured a goblet of wine into the hole and began to chant. "Let the dead taste again. Let them rise and take this offering. Maria di Angelo, show yourself!"

White smoke gathered. A human figure formed, but it couldn't be Nico's mother. It was a girl with dark
hair, olive skin, and the silvery clothes of a Hunter. She looked awfully similar to Nico, which made Amaryllis realise that it was his sister. Bianca; the dead girl that Amaryllis was destined to be forever compared to.

"Bianca," Nico said, a pained expression on his face. "But-"

Don't summon our mother, Nico, she warned. She is the one spirit you are forbidden to see.

"Why?" he demanded. "What's our father hiding?"

Pain, Bianca said. Hatred. A curse that stretches back to the Great Prophecy.

"What do you mean?" Nico said. "I have to know!"

The knowledge will only hurt you. Remember what I said: holding grudges is a fatal flaw for children
of Hades.

"I know that," Nico said. "But I'm not the same as I used to be, Bianca. Stop trying to protect me!"

Brother, you don't understand-

Nico swiped his hand through the mist, and Bianca's image dissipated. "Maria di Angelo," he said again. "Speak to me!"

A different image formed. It was a scene rather than a single ghost. In the mist, Amaryllis saw Nico and
Bianca as little children, playing in the lobby of an elegant hotel, chasing each other around marble columns. The image of her brother as a child, happy and carefree, so full of life and unaware of what the future held for him hurt her chest. She supposed that's what most demigods were like before gods started interfering with their lives.

A woman sat on a nearby sofa. She wore a black dress, gloves, and a black veiled hat like a star from an old 1940s movie. She was beautiful and had Nico's eyes. On a chair next to her sat a large oily man in a black pinstripe suit. With a shock, Amaryllis realized it was Hades. He was leaning toward the woman, using his hands as he talked, like he was agitated.

"Please, my dear," he said. "You must come to the Underworld. I don't care what Persephone thinks! I can keep you safe there."

"No, my love." She spoke with an Italian accent. "Raise our children in the land of the dead? I will not do this."

"Maria, listen to me. The war in Europe has turned the other gods against me. A prophecy has been
made. My children are no longer safe. Poseidon and Zeus have forced me into an agreement. None of us are to have demigod children ever again."

She wanted to scoff.

"But you already have Nico and Bianca. Surely-"

"No! The prophecy warns of a child who turns sixteen. Zeus has decreed that the children I currently have must be turned over to Camp Half-Blood for proper training, but I know what he means. At best they'll be watched, imprisoned, turned against their father. Even more likely, he will not take a chance. He won't allow my demigod children to reach sixteen. He'll find a way to destroy them, and I won't risk that!"

"Certamente," Maria said. "We will stay together. Zeus is un imbecile."

Amaryllis couldn't help admiring her courage, but Hades glanced nervously at the ceiling. "Maria, please. I told you, Zeus gave me a deadline of last week to turn over the children. His wrath will be horrible, and I cannot hide you forever. As long as you are with the children, you are in danger too."

Maria smiled, and again it was creepy how much she looked like her children. "You are a god, my love. You will protect us. But I will not take Nico and Bianca to the Underworld."

Hades wrung his hands. He sounded desperate, it was a weird look for a god as powerful as him. "Then, there is another option. I know a place in the desert where time stands still. I could send the children there, just for a while, for their own safety, and we could be together. I will build you a golden palace by the Styx."

Maria di Angelo laughed gently. "You are a kind man, my love. A generous man. The other gods should see you as I do, and they would not fear you so. But Nico and Bianca need their mother. Besides, they are only children. The gods wouldn't really hurt them."

"You don't know my family," Hades said darkly. "Please, Maria, I can't lose you."

Amaryllis couldn't help but wonder if Hades ever loved Ioanna Kalomiri as much as he loved Maria di Angelo. For her sake, she decided to never ask him.

She touched his lips with her fingers. "You will not lose me. Wait for me while I get my purse. Watch the children."

She kissed the lord of the dead and rose from the sofa. Hades watched her walk upstairs as if her every step away caused him pain. A moment later, he tensed. The children stopped playing as if they sensed something too.

"No!" Hades said. But even his godly powers were too slow. He only had time to erect a wall of black energy around the children before the hotel exploded.

The force was so violent, the entire mist image dissolved.

When it came into focus again, Amaryllis saw Hades kneeling in the ruins, holding the broken form of Maria di Angelo. Fires still burned all around him. Lightning flashed across the sky, and thunder rumbled. Little Nico and Bianca stared at their mother uncomprehendingly. The Fury Alecto appeared behind them, hissing and flapping her leathery wings. The children didn't seem to notice her.

"Zeus!" Hades shook his fist at the sky. "I will crush you for this! I will bring her back!"

"My lord, you cannot," Alecto warned. "You of all immortals must respect the laws of death."

Hades glowed with rage. I thought he would show his true form and vaporize his own children, but at the last moment he seemed to regain control. "Take them," he told Alecto, choking back a sob. "Wash their memories clean at the Lethe and bring them to the Lotus Hotel. Zeus will not harm them there."

"As you wish, my lord," Alecto said. "And the woman's body?

"Take her as well," he said bitterly. "Give her the ancient rites."

Alecto, the children, and Maria's body dissolved into shadows, leaving Hades alone in the ruins.

"I warned you," a new voice said.

Hades turned. A girl in a multicolored dress stood by the smoldering remains of the sofa. She had short black hair and sad eyes. She was no more than twelve. Amaryllis didn't know her, but she looked strangely
familiar.

"You dare come here?" Hades growled. "I should blast you to dust!"

"You cannot," the girl said. "The power of Delphi protects me."

With a chill, she realized she was looking at the Oracle of Delphi, back when she was alive and young. Somehow, seeing her like this was even spookier than seeing her as a mummy.

"You've killed the woman I loved!" Hades roared. "Your prophecy brought us to this.'"

He loomed over the girl, but she didn't flinch. "Zeus ordained the explosion to destroy the children," she said, "because you defied his will. I had
nothing to do with it. And I did warn you to hide them sooner."

"I couldn't! Maria would not let me! Besides, they were innocent."

"Nevertheless, they are your children, which makes them dangerous. Even if you put them away in the Lotus Hotel, you only delay the problem. Nico and Bianca will never be able to rejoin the world lest they turn sixteen."

"Because of your so-called Great Prophecy. And you have forced me into an oath to have no other children. You have left me with nothing!"

"I foresee the future," the girl said. "I cannot change it. That's how I know the oath is to be broken, by all three of you."

Hades looked at her with a look that couldn't be deciphered. "What do you mean? I'll have another child?"

The Oracle nodded. "It's that other child the gods need to worry about," she said and for a second, Amaryllis thought she was actually talking at her, as if she could see past the vision, past the fourth wall.

"Your prophecies and your meaningless words are what brought this disaster in the first place!" Hades yelled at her. Black fire lit the god's eyes, and Amaryllis knew something bad was coming. She wanted to yell at the girl to hide or run. "Then, Oracle, hear the words of Hades," he growled. "Perhaps I cannot bring back Maria. Nor can I bring you an early death. But your soul is still mortal, and I can curse you."

The girl's eyes widened. "You would not-"

"I swear," Hades said, "as long as my children remain outcasts, as long as I labor under the curse of your Great Prophecy, the Oracle of Delphi will never have another mortal host. You will never rest in peace. No other will take your place. Your body will wither and die, and still the Oracle's spirit will be locked inside you. You will speak your bitter prophecies until you crumble to nothing. The Oracle will
die with you!"

The girl screamed, and the misty image was blasted to shreds. Nico fell to his knees in Persephone's garden, his face white with shock. Standing in front of him was the real Hades, towering in his black robes and scowling down at his son.

"And just what," he asked Nico, "do you think you're doing?"

A black explosion filled Amaryllis' dreams and the scene changed drastically. From the darkness of Hades' palace to a summer scenery in front of a traditional-looking tavern. The name of it, handwritten into painted wood, was Η Κουζίνα της Ολυμπίας - Olympia's Kitchen in Greek. The tavern was by the beach and the tables were so close to the sea that the waves almost reached the customer's sandals.

Amaryllis recognized the tavern immediately. It was her family's - specifically, it was inherited by Aunt Evaggelia and she still worked there, back in Thassos. The young girl had spent many hours playing in the sand with the children of the customers while her mother and aunt worked.

Her dream focused on a familiar figure. If it wasn't for his eyes, Amaryllis would never recognize that it was Hades. He looked younger, around thirty years old, but his clothing didn't match the vibe of the tavern at all. He was wearing a suit that looked like it cost more than the entire Kalomiri family's wages. While many of the other customers wore flip flops, he was wearing shoes made of patent leather.

Two women a few feet behind him were whispering at each other. The one was plump, with a round face and big beautiful blue eyes - Aunt Evaggelia, around her twenties. Amaryllis felt like crying when she realised the blonde woman next to her was her mother. She looked only a few years older than Amaryllis and seemed happy, genuinely happy.

She was holding back a laugh, as her sister whispered, "You go serve that rich guy, Ioanna. And tell him that the next time he goes to a tavern by the beach, maybe he shouldn't go looking like James Bond's richer cousin."

Amaryllis' mother took a notepad from the counter and went up to the table where Hades sat alone. She smiled brightly at him. "Good morning," she said.

He didn't react, barely acknowledging her as he took the menu on his hands. "One Greek salad-" he started ordering, but the woman stopped him.

"I said, good morning," she repeated, the smile not leaving her face. "Usually here's the part that you say good morning back."

"Your English isn't that good," the man said.

Now Ioanna seemed to lose her patience. "Well, you're in Greece. Where people speak Greek. Not English, not French, not Portuguese. Greek. I don't know what you expected." She took out a pen that she held to keep her hair up and started scribbling in her notebook, mumbling "Ηλίθιοι τουρίστες. Θα φτύσω στο πιάτο σου, μαλάκα."

She was unaware that she spoke to the god of the Underworld, but Amaryllis knew she would speak like that even if she did know. Her mother was never one to tolerate people's bullshit - admittedly, it was one of the many things she shared with her daughter.

However, the god didn't get mad at her like Amaryllis expected. Instead, he did something really surprising. He smiled. "Θα προτιμούσα αν δεν έφτυνες στο φαγητό μου, αλλά δεν μπορώ να στο απαγορέψω κιόλας," he said and Ioanna Kalomiri froze.

"You speak Greek?"

He nodded. "I'm Greek, believe it or not."

"A Greek person would know better than to dress like that coming to a tavern," the woman replied back, but there was the hint of a smile forming on her lips.

"I wasn't planning on stopping here for food," Hades said. "But I felt like something was calling to me at this place."

The way he said was strange, like he meant it literally.

After he ordered and Amaryllis' mother brought him the food, he told her he ordered something for her as well. Despite her sister's glares, Ioanna sat down with the stranger.

It was really weird seeing her parents' first interaction live. For the first time in her life, she saw her father behaving like an actual person, not an all powerful divine being. He was laughing at her mother's ridiculous attempts at a british accent, he was smiling, he was looking at her just like he was looking at Maria di Angelo back in the first dream Amaryllis saw. Ioanna Kalomiri seemed charmed by that mysterious man as well. Maybe if she knew that would follow that seemingly innocent meeting, she would have never sat with him.

"So that tavern is your family's?" Hades asked.

The blonde woman nodded, wiping some sauce from her chin. "Yes. My grandmother's actually. She works back at the kitchen. Her name is Olympia, thus the name of the place."

"And what about your grandfather?" Hades asked.

"He died young," she said. "My mother never met him, he died before she was born."

"I'm sorry," the man said. There was something... off with how he spoke and how interested he was at her mother's family story. "How did he die?"

If Ioanna sensed something was weird, she didn't say anything. "He got attacked. I don't know the full story - I don't think anyone does - but apparently he got killed due to a robbery gone wrong." She sighed. "My grandma never talks about him. When you lose someone... it's painful, no matter how much time passes."

"Trust me, I understand," Hades said, smiling sadly. Once both of them were done with the food, he brought out his wallet to pay without even looking at the receipt. Amaryllis didn't know exactly how much the food he got cost, but she was pretty sure he left much more money than he needed to.

Her mother was ready to complain, but Hades interrupted her. "Could I talk to your grandma before I leave? I would like to give her my compliments for the food. It was wonderful."

"Uh, sure." She showed him the way to the kitchen, but before she could go with him, another customer asked for her. Ioanna turned to Hades and she seemed like she was about to do something very impulsive. She took her pen and grabbed his hand, writing her number on it. "Call me, if you'd like. I can show you around the island," she said with a smile that looked like it could brighten up the whole world.

"I'd love that," Hades said and he watched as the woman ran to take orders. He had a longing look on his face, like he was seriously starstruck by just talking to her, but then his expression got serious as he went inside the back of the kitchen.

Amaryllis woke up, feeling her heart beating so fast that there was no way the boy sleeping next to her couldn't hear it. But when she turned her head to see if her sudden movement had woken Percy up, she realised he wasn't in bed anymore.

She covered a yawn with her hand and got up, her body feeling a little stiff, but less than usual. Whether it was the curse of Achilles or her good form, she knew she should be grateful that she could still stand up after the exhaustion of the battle of the previous day.

She made her way to the lobby, where everyone was supposed to be. There was a bunch of demigods and Hunters there, but her eyes focused on the back of a blonde head. She approached the boy and when he turned, she froze upon noticing his panicked expression that instantly shifted into relief when he saw her.

"Lilly! Where were you?" Will said and hugged her, as if he hadn't seen her in years. "I've been looking for you and- and no one knew where y-you were-"

"Will, relax," Amaryllis said softly and hugged him back. "I'm here. It's okay."

"It's not," he muttered.

She counted symptoms. The shortness of breath, the shaking, the sweating - she realised he was having a panic attack. Amaryllis had gotten her fair share of those during the year and she had learned a few ways that helped her, so she hoped they'd help her brother as well.

"We're going to do the senses technique together, alright?" she said, keeping her tone light so she won't stress him out more. "Focus and tell me five things that you see around you."

Trembling, the blonde boy looked around. "Wolves," he said, referring to the Hunters' pet wolves. "Chandelier. Elevator."

"That's right, keep going."

"Bag. Shield." He let out a breath and he seemed slightly more calm, but Amaryllis didn't stop. She proceeded to ask him to identify four things he could touch, three things he could hear, two things he could things he can smell and one thing he could taste. By activating all the senses, he distracted himself from the panic attack and relaxed.

Amaryllis thought of when and who taught her that particular technique. When she realised it was Luke, back when she first got to the Camp, it left a sour taste in her mouth.

Before she could think about it more, Will spoke. "I think I feel better now," he said. "Thanks."

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asked. He hesitantly nodded and she guided him to a couch so they could sit next to the windows. She was thankful that, even in the middle of a war, they had these little breaks, otherwise she wasn't sure she would be able to process everything that was happening.

"It's Michael," Will said and the girl nodded, expecting the answer. "I- I couldn't sleep all night. I kept thinking that our siblings found his body, you know? How are you supposed to recover from that?"

Amaryllis bit her lip, realising she hadn't thought of that when she let Percy and the rest of the Apollo cabin search for Michael. There were too many feelings all at once and she was so anxious to make sure Annabeth was okay that she hadn't thought of how traumatic that would be.

"It's my fault," she said.

"It's not. Someone had to do it. That's war, I guess. I just wish... well, I wish we didn't have to."

She hesitated. "It's not Percy's fault either."

Will shifted uncomfortably. "I know," he muttered, but something flashes across his face and Amaryllis is not sure he entirely believed what he was saying. She decided not to push the subject more.

"At least we'll be able to honour him properly after the war ends," Amaryllis said. She knew she had to look at the positive side of things, otherwise she'd go mad. "He deserves that. He died a hero."

"After the war ends..." Will whispered.

She realised he didn't know about the Big Prophecy, about the fact that Amaryllis or Percy were destined to die in the end. That gave her some sort of relief. She couldn't cause him more pain, although she supposed that would be inevitable.

"Here you are," a female voice interrupted their conversation and Amaryllis turned her head to see Nia. She was limping and the ends of her hair looked like they had caught fire, but overall, she looked fine. "I'm so happy to see you. I think this war will leave us with attachment issues," Nia half-joked, but it felt out of place.

"You seem nervous," Amaryllis said. "Did anything new happen?"

"No, thank the gods," Nia said. "It's just... I'm the head counselor now that Michael... you know. It feels really weird."

"Head counselor?" Will asked.

"I was the next in line after him," she said and no matter how hard she tried, the misery behind her words was obvious. Amaryllis knew Nia very well and she knew that having such big responsibilities was the last thing she wanted. She was a healer, just like Will, which meant she already had too much on her plate during a war.

"You need to take care of your leg," Amaryllis noticed. "I have some ambrosia-"

"Not now. I need to speak with Drew."

"Your girlfriend can wait," the blonde insisted. "You're limping, Nia. Sit here, I'll fix you up."

"Okay, mom," the girl said, but she couldn't hide the hint of a smile.

Amaryllis moved close to her leg and closed her eyes to summon shadows. Nico had taught her to use their powers for some limited healing, but she hadn't had much practise, mostly focusing on attacking and defending.

Will stopped her. "You'll need your powers, don't overwork yourself," he said. Sometimes she was genuinely in awe of this thirteen year old boy that was so good in taking care of everyone. "I'll do it."

"I'll call Drew for you then, okay?" Amaryllis told Nia, who smiled widely.

"Thanks, Mar. I love you."

That caught the girl off guard. Of course they were siblings, they saw each other as sisters, but Amaryllis didn't remember the last time she told any of the Apollo kids that she loved them - or anyone, actually. She felt like it was obvious by itself so she didn't need to say it, but when she heard it out loud, she realised how much power these simple three words had.

"We're in a war," Nia explained. "I think this is the best time to let people know how we feel."

"Is that why you wanted to speak with Drew?" Amaryllis teased and the injured girl got red in the face.

"Shut up," she mumbled.

"I love you too, Nia," she replied and then touched Will's head, messing up his already messy hair. "And you too, Sunny. I'll be right back."

When she fell asleep again, she had more dreams.

In the first one, she saw a conversation between Ethan and Kronos. The son of Nemesis admitted that he didn't target Amaryllis' mortal point on purpose and thankfully, he didn't remember exactly where he aimed when Annabeth jumped in front of her - or perhaps he was just lying, but there was no reason why he would do such thing. The way he held his black dagger caused Amaryllis to think that the weapon had something to do with his too - good - to - be - coincidental aim.

She also realised that Luke was still fighting Kronos for control. A part of her, a small, childish part of her was relieved to see that the boy she knew for so long wasn't completely gone. Until she remembered that this was exactly what he wanted. Exactly what he did. Still, they could take advantage of Kronos still adjusting to his new form.

The other dream was somehow even more disturbing. Amaryllis saw the Big House at camp, but it was a different era. The house was painted red instead of blue. The campers down at the volleyball pit had early '90s hairstyles. Chiron stood by the porch, talking to Hermes and a woman holding a baby. Chiron's hair was shorter and darker. Hermes wore his usual jogging suit with his winged high-tops. The woman was tall and
pretty. She had blond hair, shining eyes and a friendly smile. The baby in her arms squirmed in his blue blanket like Camp Half-Blood was the last place he wanted to be.

"It's an honor to have you here," Chiron told the woman, though he sounded nervous. "It's been a long time since a mortal was allowed at camp."

"Don't encourage her," Hermes grumbled. "May, you can't do this."

With a shock, she realized she was seeing May Castellan. She looked nothing like the old woman they had met. She seemed full of life - the kind of person who could smile and make everyone around her feel good.

"Oh, don't worry so much," May said, rocking the baby. Luke. "You need an Oracle, don't you? The old one's been dead for, what, twenty years?"

Hermes raised his arms in exasperation. "I didn't tell you that story so you could apply. It's dangerous. Chiron, tell her."

"It is," Chiron warned. "For many years, I have forbidden anyone from trying. We don't know exactly what's happened. Humanity seems to have lost the ability to host the Oracle."

"We've been through that," May said. "And I know I can do it. Hermes, this is my chance to do something good. I've been given the gift of sight for a reason."

Amaryllis wanted to yell at May Castellan to stop. She knew what was about to happen. She finally understood how her life had been destroyed. But she was only watching a dream, a distant memory and she couldn't do anything to interfere and help.

Hermes looked more hurt than worried. "You couldn't marry if you became the Oracle," he complained. "You couldn't see me anymore."

May put her hand on his arm. "I can't have you forever, can I? You'll move on soon. You're immortal." He started to protest, but she put her hand on his chest. "You know it's true! Don't try to spare my feelings. Besides, we have a wonderful child. I can still raise Luke if I'm the Oracle, right?"

Chiron coughed. "Yes, but in all fairness, I don't know how that will affect the spirit of the Oracle. A woman who has already borne a child- as far as I know, this has never been done before. If the spirit does not take-"

"It will," May insisted.

No, Amaryllis wanted to shout. It won't.

May Castellan kissed her baby and handed the bundle to Hermes. "I'll be right back."

She gave them one last confident smile and climbed the steps. Chiron and Hermes paced in silence. The baby squirmed. A green glow lit the windows of the house. The campers stopped playing volleyball and stared up at the attic. A cold wind rushed through the strawberry fields.

Hermes must've felt it too. He cried, "No! No!"

He shoved the baby into Chiron's arms and ran for the porch. Before he reached the door, the sunny afternoon was shattered by May Castellan's terrified scream.

Amaryllis got up so fast she got dizzy when she opened her eyes. She looked around, grateful that she was still at an empty suite of the Plaza. Besides her was Percy, looking like he was about to wake her up, before she did it herself.

"Hey, is everything alright?" he asked immediately, understanding from her expression that whatever she saw in her sleep wasn't pleasant.

Amaryllis rubbed her head, trying to clear the disturbing visions. Suddenly a lot of things made sense to her: May Castellan had tried to become the Oracle. She hadn't known about Hades's curse preventing the spirit of Delphi from taking another host. Neither had Chiron or Hermes. They hadn't realized that by trying to take the job, May would be driven mad, plagued with fits in which her eyes would glow green and she would have shattered glimpses of her child's future.

She explained everything as shortly as she could to Percy, who didn't say anything for a while. "I saw the same dreams," he finally said. "It sheds a light on what happened with May Castellan but I don't understand why her and Luke's backstory is so important."

"I feel like we're trying to complete a puzzle but we're still missing the most important piece," she said. Then she remembered that she hadn't seen Percy in a while. "Hey, where have you been? You weren't here when I woke up."

"Diplomatic mission."

He didn't seem to be in the mood to elaborate. "And why didn't you wake me up as well? I could have gone with you," Amaryllis said. Percy let out a hollow laugh and she glared at him. "What?"

"You're the last person that should go in a diplomatic mission, Mar."

"Excuse me? Why?"

"First of all, you almost killed Ethan the last time you saw him and he was there so that wouldn't go well," Percy explained, a small amused smile on his face. "And I doubt your tendency to shit-talk gods and divine human beings would help."

Amaryllis rolled her eyes. "I'm not that bad."

"Uh-huh."

She got up from the bed. "Let's go to the battlefield then. The only place I'm apparently useful at," she joked with fake bitterness and Percy scoffed.

Thalia and the head counselors were waiting for them at the Reservoir. The lights of the city were blinking on at twilight, a lot of them probably on automatic timers. Streetlamps glowed around the shore of the lake, making the water and trees look even spookier.

"They're coming," Thalia confirmed, pointing north with a silver arrow. "One of my scouts just reported they've crossed the Harlem River. There was no way to hold them back. The army..." She shrugged. "It's huge."

"We'll hold them at the park," Percy said. "Grover, you ready?"

He nodded. "As ready as we'll ever be. If my nature spirits can stop them anywhere, this is the place."

"Yes, we will!" said another voice. A very old, fat satyr pushed through the crowd, stumbling over his own spear. He was dressed in wood-bark armor that only covered half of his belly.

"Leneus?" Percy said.

"Don't act so surprised," he huffed. "I am a leader of the Council, and you did tell me to find Grover. Well, I found him, and I'm not going to let a mere outcast lead the satyrs without my help!"

Behind Leneus's back, Grover made gagging motions, but the old satyr grinned like he was the savior
of the day. "Never fear! We'll show those Titans!"

Amaryllis didn't know whether to laugh or be angry, but she managed to keep a straight face.

Percy sighed. "Um... yeah. Well, Grover, you won't be alone. The Athena cabin will make their stand here. And me, Mar and... Thalia?"

She patted him on the shoulder. "Say no more. The Hunters are ready."

He looked at the other counselors. "That leaves the rest of you with a job just as important. You have to guard the other entrances to Manhattan. You know how tricky Kronos is. He'll hope to distract us with this big army and sneak another force in somewhere else. It's up to you to make sure that doesn't happen. Has each cabin chosen a bridge or tunnel?"

The counselors nodded grimly. Amaryllis noticed Nia biting the inside of her cheek like she was trying to get herself to relax.

"Then let's do it," Percy said. "Good hunting, everybody!"

𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐄𝐒.

lily james in mamma mia 2 as ioanna kalomiri, mar's mother:

if you're not simping for the kalomiri family then what are you doing 🧐⁉️

hades, bro, i get it-

▊also i dropped a few hints about amaryllis' heroes of olympus arc that probably make no sense on their own but hopefully when we get to the sequel you'll think of those moments and be like "oh shit that's what that meant" mwahaha

❛ gone girl. ❜
( part 𝒐𝒏𝒆 of gone girl series )
2022 ╱ © persephonetears, all rights reserved

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

96.3K 3.8K 34
โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ PERFECT WORLD โ two lovers walking by, just like us when we met.โž ๏น™ percy jackson x fem!oc ๏นš ๏น™ the battle of the labyrinth; the last olympian๏นš ๏น™...
686K 9.4K 75
The complete collection of Percy Jackson one-shots. Mostly people meeting our favourite demigods, mortals, Satyrs and more. ~ Most are no mist ~ th...
156K 6.6K 59
he is half of my soul, as the poet says. ยฉ rorysmixtape, 2022 the lightning thief - the last olympian percy jackson / masc!oc
231K 7K 65
"what if I told you none of it was accidental?" [ titan's curse - the last olympian ] [ book I in the midnights series ] [ percy jackson x oc ]