Scared? Says You Potter!

By blanklyreading

what happens when James went to the library in order to finish his essay but ended up getting flirted by none... More

Hello there~
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
not a chapter
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42

Chapter 8

2K 64 12
By blanklyreading

When James enter Professor McGonagall's office, Narcissa and her was already waiting for him. Narcissa was amused at how he can be late for even detention and Professor McGonagall was not at all impressed.

"When are you going to be on time Mr Potter?" she asked boredly.

"When I lose interest in pranking of course" James said while winking at her.

Professor McGonagall shoot him a stern look "Since you are here, let's not waste our time then, follow me you two" she said and walked out of her office. Narcissa and James shared a look and followed her.

"Where are we going Minnie?" James asked now was worried he was going to be told to clean the potion classroom. Oh that would be a bad detention, it would be hard to scrub off and clean the failed potions which would have burst or spilled on the floor or wall or on the table in the room. It will take hours to clean everything off. James was silently praying to not having tonight's detention in cleaning the potion classroom.

"You'll see Mr Potter" Professor McGonagall said putting a halt on her speed and turned to face both of her students.

"You should stop calling me names if you don't want to be in potion classroom tonight Mr Potter" she said as if she read through his mind.

"No can do professor" he try laughing it off 'damn we can't risk anything, this woman may know how to read minds' James thought.

"Now" Professor McGonagall begins and turned to the door she was standing infront which was only noticed by James now. They were standing infront of the library.

"Follow me" she instructed to which both James and Narcissa obeyed.

When they entered, they walked through many rows of racks full of books and when they came to stop, there were a big pile of books stacked on the table middle of the library. 'oh you've got to be kidding me!' James thought to himself.

"Well, it's seems that you are aware of what to do seeing this books here. You have exactly two hours to place the books to where it belongs on the correct rack. Madam Pince would be checking it later on for me to see whether you did the job correctly or not. And you are expected to do it without using any source of magic so I'll be keeping your wands away, as usual if you finish early, you can go back early" she said with a little obvious teasing smile towards James.

"Oh come on, it would be even worst without magic!" James protested.

"We'll do it professor" Narcissa said smiling politely.

"Not you too" James practically loses hope.

"It can't be that hard Potter" Narcissa eyed him which made him quit protesting.

"Very well then hand me your wands and get to work now, and as I said you can leave early if you finish early" Professor McGonagall said while taking their wands from them. Narcissa handed her wand instantly and James was hesitant but eventually gave up.

"Good night then Mr Potter and Miss Black" Professor McGonagall said and walked off hearing 'Good night professor' from both of them.

"She would have cut us some slack by not taking our wands when you are here but you have to go agree with her!" James whined when he saw Narcissa walking to the pile of books stacked on the table.

"Oh come on Potter, quit whining! It can't be that bad" Narcissa said waving him off. "Plus we have to get this done in two hours so come on get to work" she added.

James made sounds of protest but eventually followed her.

Narcissa laughed and said "so we will first arrange the books which is supposed to be placed together and then put them away later in the correct rack and place"

"Fine, I'll take this side and you take that side, okay?" James said grumpily.

Narcissa was never expecting this side of James. "Who thought the famous James Potter is still a little immature kid" she said smiling.

"I'm not!" James argued.

Narcissa just gave him a pointed look and shook her head continuing to arrange the books in order.

"Well, see you seem to agree I'm not a kid since you are quiet" James folded his arms and looked at her grinning.

"Potter, I am literally not taking your opinion on this, you are most certainly a kid" she said "why would you say th-" he asked but was interrupted by Narcissa "see? this! You are not even letting a simple comment saying 'you are a kid' go easily but trying to deny or proving your point right" she said making the rabbit gesture using her index and middle fingers from both of her hands to point out 'you are a kid' and folded her arms tilting her head to the right a little and letting her hair flow together.

"I- still I'm not a kid, I'm going to be in the seventh year next year" James said timidly.

Narcissa shook her head suppressing her smile "well what makes you sleep today Potter, what makes you sleep today"

"Ughhh why are you sounding like moony now?" James was already whining again.

"Seriously Potter, you are acting like a child!" Narcissa tried to act frustrated but she failed when she saw him pout like a small child getting grumpy around their mother. 'Well Regulus you got yourself a grown up baby' she thought.

She laughed a little before "Potter-" but was cut off by James "I'm not a child you know" he said slightly sad and had a frown on his face.

"Yeah you are not a child alright? You are just childish" she said going over to him and patting his head "childish just like Sirius" and smiled.

James looked up at her and saw her genuinely smiling.

"Fine, I get that alot, people saying I'm just childish as a child" he said.

"Glad this time we are on the same page Potter" she said shaking her head.

"James" he said and earned himself a 'hmm?' sound from Narcissa.

"Call me James, don't call me Potter, it sounds so distanced" he said sincerely.

"I- well isn't it good if it's distanced than close?" Narcissa asked genuinely curious why he was asking her to call him by his given name out of nowhere.

"I don't know, I usually will feel distanced when people call me Potter when we are talking and it makes me feel formal around people who I actually feel some kind of bond. And I feel the bond with you too and it kind of sucks you are still calling me Potter, I thought we were at least passed the formal talks since the morning" James said which actually surprised Narcissa.

"I don't even know how to address you, do I address you as Black or Narcissa? I don't want to feel like a stranger around you by calling you Black. And plus I already started seeing you as a sisterly figure to me if that's out of you liking I'm sorry. Since I didn't get the fortune of growing up with siblings or cousins, and when I see you teasing me saying that I'm a child and patting my head, I wonder if this is how it feels like to have a elder sister or a cousin around. At one point Sirius and Regulus is the luckiest siblings I've ever seen" James said smiling sadly at Narcissa and looked down his lap.

Narcissa was too stunned to see the happy-go-lucky boy she knows in Hogwarts was actually pouring something from his heart infront of her. She couldn't think of anything she could say for a moment. 'Damn reggy! Your man is really a grown up kid' Narcissa thought smiling.

James was scared he actually ruined his civil conversation with Narcissa with his childish desire and he begin to panic.

"I- I'm sorry if I ruined your mood or something. I didn't mean to. I guess I just lost my mind and I think you are right sometimes- no everytime I do or say something childish. I shouldn't take more advantage on you, I think I'll just think of you as my senior from Hogwarts. And you don't have to call me James if you don't like. I'm sorry if I make you feel uneasy and-" James rambling was cut off by Narcissa.

"James! Oh my, as I said you are acting like a child" she laughed genuinely. "I'm happy you are seeing me as a sisterly figure, even though I'm a Black who is still on the dark side" she said smiling sadly.

"I don't care about that as long as you still have your kind heart no matter what" James said genuinely.

"Well I'll try to just for your sake" she said once again patting his head softly. James smiled while nodding to her. 'He is too pure and Regulus is really lucky' she thought to herself again.

"And James, I don't mind you calling me Cissa or Cissy or sis you know or any name you want" she said smiling.

James was now smiling widely "Really?!, Oh yes but I don't want to steal the name only Sirius or Regulus calls you, so I'll call you sis first till I find a perfect nickname for you which only I can call you that" he said happily and excited at the same time.

Narcissa laughed "it's a deal then" she said.

"Yeap it's a deal!" James said with a huge grin on his face.

"So James, be a good child and carry the book stack behind you one by one and follow me will you?" Narcissa said pointing at the stack of the books she has arranged quicker and not even noticed by James.

"I- yeah sure but how did you do that fast?" James asked quite shocked.

"I told you it couldn't be that hard" she said as if it's a matter of facts "so get going will you?" she asked.

"Yes, yes!" James said and started carrying the first neatly arrange stack and followed Narcissa to the respective racks.

After half and hour all the books were arranged and kept at it own places where it belongs.

"Well that was easy!" chirped Narcissa happy and pleased.

"It could have been more easier with magic" James said with no energy left.

Narcissa laughed shaking her head.

"What? You can't deny that sis!" James pointed out.

"Well sort of but we had a long chat doing it with non-magic method" Narcissa said with a smile.

"Hah! Come to the bright side of the detention!" James said gaining his energy back "it's nice actually, pretty cool too! I- I'm glad you are talking to me like this without sneering or something, and thank you too for letting me call you sis" he smiled.

Narcissa had a soft smile on her face. James may be a grown up teenage boy but his heart is still so precious like a child's one. She only hoped no one breaks it not even Regulus.

"Don't forget James, you said you would find me a perfect nickname only for you to call me" she said folding her arms smiling at him.

"How can I forget that! James Potter won't forget anything easily" he said and turning around to see his surroundings. He noticed they were at his favourite spot of the library and was watching outside the big window to see the quidditch pitch which could be seen under the moonlight "it's beautiful isn't it" he smiled and Narcissa just hummed and was looking at the pitch together with him.

He admired the view for a moment and that's when a memory crossed his mind 'that babyblack day' he called it. James remembered that the three of them was there on that day but this time Regulus was not there. He also remembered something and was contemplating to whether ask Narcissa about it or not. Not realising he had a frown on his face and was already deep in thoughts.

Narcissa who was admiring the scene and turn to have a look at James noticed the frown on his face.

"What is it?" she asked a little worried which brought James back from his thoughts.

"Huh? Ermm, nothing nothing sis nothing" he said looking at her and turned back to where he was looking.

Narcissa just kept looking at him for few seconds and turned to look at the beautiful pitch again not wanting to make him feel uneasy or something.

"Can I ask you something?" he asked slowly looking at her.

Narcissa raised an eyebrow curiously "of course you can, since when did you ever ask permission to ask anyone anything" Narcissa said smiling a little before fixing her gaze on him to show him she's listening.

"I- well, you know- mmm well, that day-" James was getting redder and redder thinking of what he was about to ask.

"James Potter ask it out all at once" Narcissa ordered folding her arms confused with why he was being shy and getting redder every seconds.

"I- wha- what did you mean by saying that about me and Regulus that day?" he questioned her too fast and hung his head low scratching the back of his neck, regretting asking the question at the first place.

Narcissa was amused by that knowing what he was asking and had a smirk played on her lips.

After few seconds of silence, James braved himself and looked up to see Narcissa was looking at him with a smirk on her face.

"What did I say?" Narcissa asked innocently.

"I- well about me and Regulus having little date at the library!" James said now getting even more red.

"What do you think I meant by that James?" Narcissa questioned him raising an eyebrow.

"I don't know and that is why I'm asking you in the first place" he said impatiently and running his hand through his hair.

"I meant what I mean" Narcissa said looking directly at him.

"About the date?" he asked.

"Isn't that what you asked?" she questioned back.

"Don't question me back will you sis?!" Please answer me" he said getting even more impatient.

"Well as I said I meant what I mean James" she said truthfully.

"That does not answer my question but fine, what made you think like that then?" he asked now folding his arms and looking at her with a raised eyebrow.

"Based on what I saw" she answered simply.

"What you saw then?" he asked

"Both of you" she said smiling teasingly.

"Oh come on sis!" James said putting his head in his palms.

"What James?" she laughed a little.

"Answer me! Will you please?" he pleaded.

"Tell me why must I?" she asked him curiously.

"I- it's because.... I- ughhh I don't even know why I want to know! I- I couldn't sleep well since that day he talked to me! And your comment didn't even make it easier for me. I- he- he's been in my mind since then sis! He's running through my mind like he's stuck in there and couldn't be removed! No matter what I try to think! He- he is living rent free in my mind! And I couldn't even stop it even I tried too and- and....." James rambled so fast and slowed down at the last part.

"And what James?" she asked stunned with James reaction just a moment ago.

"And now I'm not willing to let it go" he admitted in a small voice hanging his head low, his cheeks were getting even redder if it's possible.

Narcissa eyes became wide and she was smiling even wider. 'James might like Regulus back' she thought.

"I- I know I shouldn't, I keep telling that to myself but I can't, but- but I'll try to stop it" James added scared of what Narcissa would think.

"Do you like him?" she asked sincerely.

"I- I don't know, maybe... I guess" he said slowly not daring to look at Narcissa.

"James" she said in a voice that demanded a proper answer.

"I think I like him okay!" he said at once raising his hands up not wanting to make Narcissa angry.

"Well that was easy wasn't it? Answering the question" she said looking at him.

"Please don't tell Sirius and Regulus" he was scared.

"It's not my place to tell them" she said softly "plus you are not sure what exactly you feel" she added.

"You and moony are practically saying the same thing!" James whined

"Do you think we could be bestfriend? Should I get to know him too?" she asked "No! Not you too! Please!" James said looking frustrated.

"What why?" Narcissa asked.

"Regulus also said something like that!" he said like he's done with his life.

"Are you jealous James?" she asked as it's obvious.

"What? No! Why would I be? There's nothing" he said laughing it off still can't help but to get red all over again.

"Yeap" she said sarcastically.

"Trust me will you?" he asked fixing his glasses.

"Sure!" she rolled her eyes

"You still haven't give me the exact answer for just now" James said seeing her with his puppy dog eyes.

"It's not as effective as Sirius eyes will be tho" she said noticing what he's trying to do. 'yeah because he has the original ones' he mumbled.

"It's because of the looks you both exchanged that day" she said smiling at him and before he questioned more she continued "nope, I'm not going to tell how, that's for you both to figure it out"

"But-"

"No buts, it's nearly going to be two hours and we are done, so let's call it a day James. See you soon okay?" she said.

"Yeah okay" he said with a small pout.

"Good night James" she said patting his head.

"Good night sis" he said smiling.

She nodded and walked away but stop "don't be afraid of whatever you feel okay, don't just keep it to yourself! Once you are sure just express it to that person James" she smiled and waved goodbye to him before walking off hearing a distanced 'thank you'.

'Why does everyone sounds like moony?'

James thought and shook his head taking one last look at the pitch and while smiling to himself he made his way to his shared dorm.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3M 108K 43
The year after her brother James graduates, Teddy Potter returns to Hogwarts for her final year. With the Marauders gone, it should be a quiet, peace...
94.9K 3.5K 12
Previously titled "Burnt Hope." Regulus Black is persuaded by his brother, Sirius, to run away with him in the middle of the summer. And to none othe...
34.3K 871 6
Sirius leaves the black mansion during the night. How does Regulus cope with being abandoned by his brother he is now forbidden to see? ~I don't own...
8.7K 216 20
What if James and lily had a baby while they were in their sixth year but sadly lily passed away during birth now James a single father in his sevent...