Purple Rain.

By madd_libbs

In which the healing process becomes a lot more difficult than (Y/n) (Y/l/n) would have expected. Book Four o... More

Info.
Year Six - The Order of the Phoenix
Chapter One.
Chapter Two.
Chapter Three.
Chapter Four.
Chapter Five.
Chapter Six.
Chapter Seven.
Chapter Eight.
Chapter Nine.
Chapter Ten.
Chapter Eleven.
Chapter Twelve.
Chapter Thirteen.
Chapter Fourteen.
Chapter Fifteen.
Chapter Sixteen.
Chapter Seventeen.
Chapter Eighteen.
Chapter Nineteen.
Chapter Twenty.
Chapter Twenty-One.
Chapter Twenty-Three.
Chapter Twenty-Four.
Chapter Twenty-Five.
Chapter Twenty-Six.
Chapter Twenty-Seven.
Chapter Twenty-Eight.
Chapter Twenty-Nine.
Chapter Thirty.
Chapter Thirty-One.
Chapter Thirty-Two.
Chapter Thirty-Three.
Chapter Thirty-Four.
Chapter Thirty-Five.
Chapter Thirty-Six.
Chapter Thirty-Seven.
Chapter Thirty-Eight.
Chapter Thirty-Nine.
Chapter Forty.
Chapter Forty-One.
Chapter Forty-Two.
Chapter Forty-Three.
Chapter Forty-Four.
Chapter Forty-Five.
Chapter Forty-Six.
Chapter Forty-Seven.
Chapter Forty-Eight.
Chapter Forty-Nine.
Chapter Fifty.
Chapter Fifty-One.
Chapter Fifty-Two.
Chapter Fifty-Three.
Chapter Fifty-Four.
Chapter Fifty-Five.
Chapter Fifty-Six.
Chapter Fifty-Seven.
Chapter Fifty-Eight.
Chapter Fifty-Nine.
Chapter Sixty.
Chapter Sixty-One.
Chapter Sixty-Two.
Chapter Sixty-Three.
Chapter Sixty-Four.
Chapter Sixty-Five.
Chapter Sixty-Six.
Chapter Sixty-Seven.
Chapter Sixty-Eight.
Chapter Sixty-Nine.
Chapter Seventy.
Chapter Seventy-One.
Chapter Seventy-Two.
Chapter Seventy-Three.
Fin and Book Five.

Chapter Twenty-Two.

450 33 6
By madd_libbs

"Double Defence Against the Dark Arts in the morning and double History of Magic in the afternoon," Cho groaned. "What a horrible start to the year."

"Not me," Padma grinned. "You guys stay safe, though." Cho stuck her tongue out before sighing depressively.

"I can't believe we have a Ministry official here," Cho said gloomily.

"Tell me about it," (Y/n) grumbled. "All because Fudge is too much of a coward to admit Dumbledore's right."

"About You-Know-Who being back?" Cho asked. (Y/n) nodded.

"My parents are torn," Padma said. "They saw both points when Parvati and I told them."

"My parents are with the Ministry," Cho said. "I'm worried I'll have to go against them if they don't open their eyes..."

"My godmothers are with Dumbledore," (Y/n) said. "Like, literally—" She looked all around. "Have you guys heard of the Order of the Phoenix?" Both girls shook their heads. "They're basically a special organization recruited specifically by Dumbledore or people that can be trusted enough to either give the Ministry false details to get them off Dumbledore."

"Neat," Cho whispered. "And your godmothers are a part of that?" (Y/n) nodded. "Wouldn't it be crazy if we did something like that?"

"I mean, we've got S.W.S., haven't we?" Padma whispered. "Why not use that as a chance to both prepare ourselves for what might come and to... You know, lead them off if need be."

"I think that's what we'll be doing this year," (Y/n) said. "We've got the reunion this year so we'll need to practice with our skills if we want to get people on campus right under Umbridge's nose."

"Oh, how exciting," Cho beamed. "Any ideas who you're going to bring into the society?"

"It's not up to me," (Y/n) said. "It's up to you guys to look around and decide." Padma and Cho looked at one another.

(Y/n) entered the Defense Against the Dark Arts room alone due to Cho going off to greet Harry properly this time. She glanced around the room, finding Umbridge in a pink fluffy cardigan and a black velvet bow standing in front of her desk and already staring at (Y/n). Removing her eyes from Umbridge, (Y/n) found that very few people had made it to N.E.W.T.-level classes. She assumed that it was due to Madeye Moody intimidating them all away from the class for next year. (Y/n) decided to sit relatively close to the front due to the majority of the students already doing the same. She set her bag in the seat beside her, saving it for Cho.

"Hey, sorry," Cho greeted, coming over to the table (Y/n) sat at. (Y/n) quickly moved her bag and set it down. Cho threw a subtle glance at Umbridge and then smirked at (Y/n), who suppressed a grin.

"Well, good morning!" Professor Umbridge said when finally the whole class was present.

A few people muttered, "Good afternoon," in a tired voice.

"Tut, tut," said Professor Umbridge. "That won't do, now, will it? I should like you, please, to reply 'Good morning, Professor Umbridge.' One more time, please. Good morning, class!"

"Good morning, Professor Umbridge!" the class chorused back to her.

"There, now," Professor Umbridge said sweetly. "That wasn't too difficult, was it? Wands away and quills out, please."
Many of the students exchanged gloomy and bewildered looks at the order of 'wands away.' Having their wands away entirely was unheard of in Defence Against the Dark Arts lessons. Regardless, the class placed their wands in their bags and pulled out variants of note-taking material. (Y/n) opened her leather-bound journal and pressed down on the crease to keep the journal open. When she looked up, Professor Umbridge was removing her own, unusually short, wand and had tapped the board with it. Words had appeared at once.

Defence Against the Dark Arts
A Return to Basic Principles

"Well now, your teachings in this subject have been rather disrupted and fragmented, hasn't it?" stated Professor Umbridge, turning to face the class with her hands clasped neatly in front of her. "The constant changing of teachers, many of whom do not seem to have followed any Ministry-approved curriculum, has unfortunately resulted in your being far below the standard we expect to see during your N.E.W.T. years.
"Fret not, however, these problems are now to be rectified. We will follow a carefully structured, theory-centred, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic this year. Copy down the following, please."
She rapped the blackboard again; first the message vanished and was replaced by:

Course aims:
1. Understanding the principles underlying defensive magic.
2. Learning to recognize situations in which defensive magic can legally be used.
3. Placing the use of defensive magic in a context for practical use.

For the next couple of minutes, the room was full of the sound of scratching quills on parchment. When everyone had copied down the three course aims, Professor Umbridge said, "Has everybody got a copy of Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard?" There was a dull murmur of assent throughout the class.
"I think we'll try that again," said Professor Umbridge. "When I ask you a question, I should like you to reply 'Yes, Professor Umbridge,' or 'No, Professor Umbridge.' So, has everyone got a copy of Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard?"

"Yes, Professor Umbridge," rang throughout the room.

"Good," said Professor Umbridge. "I should like you to turn to page five and read chapter one, 'Basic for Beginners.' There will be no need to talk."
Professor Umbridge left the blackboard and settled herself in the chair behind the teacher's desk, observing them all with those pouchy toad's eyes. (Y/n) opened to page five of her copy of Defensive Magical Theory, which already had annotations from when she and Hermione had gone through their textbook for a second time. Most of the annotations were questioning Wilber Slinkhard's insistence on not using magic. At length, she raised her hand and patiently waited to be called on.
Cho spared (Y/n) a glance upon noticing her raised hand. (Y/n) shook her head dismissively, silently telling Cho to continue reading. Cho's curiosity got the best of her and while she did continue reading, she looked between (Y/n) and Professor Umbridge whenever there was a break in the text. Professor Umbridge seemed quite adamant in looking anywhere but (Y/n).
As the minutes ticked on, more attention was drawn to (Y/n)'s mute attempt at catching Professor Umbridge's eye. People seemed far more interested in (Y/n)'s refusal to lower her hand and Professor Umbridge's refusal to call on the girl than they were in the text.
By the time the entire class was staring at (Y/n) rather than their books, Professor Umbridge seemed to see that she could no longer ignore the situation.
"Did you want to ask something about the chapter, dear?" Professor Umbridge asked as though just noticing (Y/n).

"As much as I would love the opportunity to debate Wilbert Slinkhard's refusal to use defensive magic," (Y/n) began, "I do not have a question about the chapter."

"Well, we're just reading now," said Professor Umbridge, showing her small pointed teeth. "If you have other queries, we can deal with them at the end of class."

"I have a question about your course aims," (Y/n) said, finally lowering her hand a bit, still keeping it level with her face.

"Wrll, Miss (Y/l/n), I believe the course aims are perfectly clear if you have the eyes to read them through carefully," said Professor Umbridge in a voice of forced sweetness. (Y/n) heard Cho's soft gasp.

"I don't," (Y/n) said, matching Professor Umbridge's tone. "There's nothing written up there about using defensive spells, Professor."
Almost as though doubting (Y/n), the class fell silent and turned their heads to frown at the three course aims written on the blackboard.

"Using defensive spells?" Professor Umbridge repeated with a little laugh. "Why, I can't imagine any situation arising in my classroom that would require you to use a defensive spell, Miss (Y/l/n). You aren't expecting to be attacked during class?"

"We're not going to practice magic?" asked a Gryffindor student.

"Students raise their hands when they wish to speak in my class, Miss—?"

"Sanchez," said the girl, raising her hand in the air.
Smiling widely, Professor Umbridge turned her back on the girl. Cho raised her hand and (Y/n) raised her own hand slightly above her head. Professor Umbridge glanced between the girls before settling and addressing Cho.

"Yes, Miss...?"

"Chang," Cho answered. "Surely the whole point of Defence Against the Dark Arts is to practice defensive spells and defend ourselves against Dark magic?"

"Are you a Ministry-trained educational expert, Miss Chang?" asked Professor Umbridge in her falsely sweet voice.

"No, but—"

"Well, then, I'm afraid you are not qualified to decide what the 'whole point' of any class is. Wizards far older and cleverer than you have devised our new program of study. You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way—"

"And that use is?" said a Slytherin boy loudly. "Most of us are in here—"

"Hand, sir!" sang Professor Umbridge. The boy, rolling his eyes, thrust his hand in the air only for Professor Umbridge to turn away from him. Now multiple other people had their hands in the air. "And your name is?" Professor Umbridge asked a Hufflepuff boy.

"Thomas Buckthorn."

"Well, Mr. Buckthorn?"

"As I'm sure Jacob was saying, most of us in here took N.E.W.T.-level classes to be Aurors," Thomas began. "And now we're learning that we won't be taught the very thing we're supposed to know at our jobs? Please tell me how an advanced class is supposed to differ from regular ed?"

"Unless you plan on being attacked in my class, Mr. Buckthorn," said Umbridge, "you will not need to know anything other than the theory. So long as you apply it well enough, you won't need any application in my class. It is not my job to train you—"

"But it's your job to teach us! Magic included!" Cho blurted.

"How are you qualified for this position?" Cassy Sanchez added.

"Hands, Miss Chang and Miss Sanchez!" Professor Umbridge said.

"My hand is up!" Cassy exclaimed. Ignoring her, Professor Umbridge cleared her throat.

"I do not wish to criticize the way things have been run in this school," Professor Umbridge said, an unconvincing smile stretching her wide mouth, "but you have been exposed to some very irresponsible wizards in this class, very irresponsible indeed— not to mention," she gave a nasty little laugh, "extremely dangerous half-breeds."

"If you mean Professor Lupin," (Y/n) said angrily, "he was the best we ever—"

"Hand, Miss (Y/l/n)! As I was saying— you have been introduced to spells that have been complex, inappropriate to your age group, and potentially lethal. You have been frightened into believing that you are likely to meet Dark attacks every other day—"

"No we haven't," Cho said, "we just—"

"Wait for me to call on you, Miss Chang! It is my understanding that my predecessor not only performed illegal curses in front of you, he actually performed them on you—"

"Well, he turned out to be a maniac, didn't he?" said Thomas. "Mind you, we still learned loads—"

"Your hand is not up, Mr. Buckthorn!" trilled Professor Umbridge. "Now, it is the view of the Ministry that theoretical knowledge will be more than sufficient to get you through your examination, which, after all, is what school is all about. And your name is?" she added, staring at Robbie Taylor, (Y/n)'s fellow Ravenclaw prefect.

"Robbie Taylor, and isn't there a practical bit in our N.E.W.T.s? Aren't we supposed to be able to show that we can actually do the countercurses and things?"

"As I have said, so long as you have studied the theory hard enough, there is no reason why you should not be able to perform the spells under carefully controlled examination conditions," said Professor Umbridge impatiently.

"Without every practising? Are you planning on testing us once a quarter, or something?" Robbie asked bewildered.

"I repeat, as long as you have studied the theory hard enough—"

"How can we theory to the real world?" (Y/n) asked. 

"School is not the real world, Miss (Y/l/n)," Profesor Umbridge said softly.

"What, we're all just dreaming while we're at school?" (Y/n) asked, bemused. There were multiple snickers. "You aren't seeming to be listening, most of us plan on being Aurors or using defensive spells in our future jobs— otherwise, we would not be taking this class. Are you, Professor Umbridge, planning on sending us fully unprepared into the real world under your care?" Cho sent (Y/n) a wide-eyed look. The class seemed to freeze as (Y/n) and Professor Umbridge stared at one another.

"Ten points from Ravenclaw, Miss (Y/l/n). Do not accuse me of such things," Professor Umbridge said sweetly, seemingly glad to catch the excuse to punish (Y/n). "Who possibly could attack children like yourselves right out of Hogwarts?"

"I can name a few people," (Y/n) said. "You-Know-Who is one of them." Cho gasped; Robbie pressed his fingers to his mouth; Cassy's head wheeled around to stare at (Y/n).

"I'll go ahead and take another ten points from Ravenclaw, Miss (Y/l/n)," said Professor Umbridge, smiling in a grimly satisfied way. "Now, let me make some things quite clear. You have been told that a certain Dark wizard has returned from the dead. This is a lie. The Ministry of Magic guarantees that you are not in danger from any Dark wizard. If you are worried, by all means, come and see me outside class hours. I would like to hear about it. I am here to help. I am your friend. And now, you will kindly continue your reading."

"So Cassius Warrington dropped dead on his own accord, then?" (Y/n) asked, her voice calm despite the absolute fury flaming in her eyes.
There was a collective intake of breath from the class, for no one, including Cho, had ever heard (Y/n) talk about what happened on the night Cassius died due to (Y/n)'s choice of keeping silent. The class stared avidly from (Y/n) to Professor Umbridge, who had raised her eyes and was staring at her without a trace of a fake smile on her face.

"Cassius Warrington's death was a tragic accident," Professor Umbridge said coldly.

"I'm sure Cassius would love to hear that," (Y/n) said. "It was a murder. A murder that happened under your Ministry of Magic's care. Do not try and tell me that the Ministry guarantees we are not in danger and at the same time refuse to acknowledge that Cassius was murdered. Do not try and tell me that I, a Muggle-born student, am not at risk of being attacked. Do not tell me that I, a Muggle-born Ravenclaw, have nothing to worry about after Lord Voldemort killed a Pure-blood Slytherin— one of his own circle, too. Do not ask for my cooperation after my boyfriend was killed under the care of the people who have sworn no repeats of past Tournaments would happen.
"Unless you are going to try and accuse fourteen-year-old Harry Potter of murdering seventeen-year-old Cassius Warrington, I will not hear any excuses you have. There are none. There is absolutely no explanation for what could have happened that night other than murder from an outside source. I do not care for these stupid course aims and I do not care for the Ministry's policies, but I do care for the lives of my fellow Hogwarts students. If you refuse to teach us proper defence, by all means, continue, but do not expect much cooperation from anyone that does not agree with you."
Silence rang through the room. (Y/n) was never the outspoken type. Well she did not keep quiet about her views, she most certainly did not go out of her way to inform everyone of what she thought. Those who shared classes with her knew (Y/n) was on great terms with all of her teachers and the one in specific that she was not, had at least enough respect to acknowledge she was good at Potions. That day, the class's respect for (Y/n) would grow immensely. One thing was for certain: (Y/n) had opened the class's eyes and brought light to a heavy topic.

"Two weeks detention, Miss (Y/l/n)," Professor Umbridge said calmly. "I do not care to hear your sob story. If you have a problem, you may take it directly to the Minister but I am sure he will agree with me."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.3K 64 25
We will be writing different situations with the characters of Harry Potter **I do not own any other the characters in here. These are all characters...
1.7K 79 15
Back at Hogwarts for his eighth year, Draco is offered the opportunity of a lifetime: the chance to enter a prestigious potion competition and maybe...
6.2K 146 15
ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ꜱᴏʟᴅɪᴇʀꜱ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ᴅɪꜰꜰᴇʀᴇɴᴛ ꜱɪᴅᴇꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴀ ᴡᴀʀ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ ʜɪᴅᴇ ᴛʜᴇɪʀ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴏʀ ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴀᴍᴇʟɪᴀ ᴘᴏᴛᴛᴇʀ, ᴛʜᴇ ᴄʜᴏꜱᴇɴ ᴏɴᴇ'ꜱ ꜱɪꜱᴛᴇʀ, ꜰɪɴᴅꜱ ʜᴇʀꜱᴇʟꜰ ꜰᴀʟʟɪɴɢ ʜᴇ...
431K 16.5K 87
you have aroused my anger and turned your back on me ✶ Harry Potter / Order of the Phoenix - Deathly Hallows