Omerta

By Heartmyart

When there's an attempt on Gia TerraNova and her family's lives she's forced into sheltering at the big boss... More

Chapter 1
Bonus (Nico's POV)
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Bonus (Nico's POV)
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
BONUS (Nico's POV)
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35 (Nico's POV)
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49 (Nick's POV)
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59 (Nick's POV)
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63 (Nick's POV)
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70 (Nick's POV)
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74 (Nick's POV)
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77 (Nick's POV)
Chapter 78
Chapter 79 (Nick's POV)
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Other stories

Chapter 42

6.3K 208 38
By Heartmyart

         I felt like my cookies were a success unless they were just being nice, but then again the platter was almost gone before I even remembered to put a few aside for Nico. I put three on a plate for Franklin and walked through the service hall to the closet sized security room to knock. My paintings have also been a success. I was praised for like ten minutes straight and it felt good to hear. 

When the security room door opened up I gave old Franklin a big smile. "I made cookies," I waved the plate around. "Ooo, I've got such a sweet tooth. Thanks honey you're real nice," he smiled, snatching the plate. "Mmm, wow these are delicious," he praised me. 

I started chatting with him about his grandkids, which he loved discussing. I knew all their names by now, which he told me was impressive and kind that I'd even remember at all.

        "Hey, since I'm here. Franklin, could you pull up the feed for Tuesday? I'm trying to trace my steps for something I've misplaced. That was the night of the fire, so ya know, it could've gotten lost in that," I lied like an asshole. I couldn't tell him the real reason. I was using my fire sympathy card. 

His eyes went wide and he said, "I didn't want to bring the subject up honey, but I was so relieved to hear you were okay. We all were here in the house. Everybody loves you, ya know. It'll get real quiet again once you're gone," he gave me a sad smile. I smiled and gave the old man a hug. 

"So, Tuesday was it?" he asked again. I nodded. Franklin pulled the feed and turned on the footage from the first half of the day, but then the tape cut out. "Oh? I think there was some kind of malfunction" he tipped his head trying to redo the whole thing. My blood boiled. 

They deleted the tape.

        I know for a fact the cameras were working because that's how Nick tracked me. He checked the cameras for the cab number. I almost wanted to cry right there and then, that's how frustrated I was. I needed to think."Well that's alright then. Thanks anyway," I tried to play like it was no big deal, saying bye to Franklin to run up to my room. 

I grabbed my pillow off the bed and screamed into it. I went to my sock drawer in the closet and looked for the pair of giraffe socks I hid the lighter in. Just to make sure it was still there. The second thing I'd hidden here was the Russian's log book that was in my suitcase right now. I sat in my room stewing and trying to think of a new plan. 

By not involving anyone else my resources were limited. I wished I could tell Nick because he has much more power and influence than I do, but I couldn't trust that he wouldn't side with his family. Omerta and all that crap. 

I went and took a long soothing shower and put on a comfortable matching soft terry cloth shorts and top set. I dried my hair well and put a little bit of product in it to keep it in soft waves. My stomach was growling by then which made me realize it was almost dinner time. Another day wasted. I sighed but left my room to go see if Nick was back around. 

        I stopped short when I saw that long neat ponytail of blonde hair and tall legs. It was Reya, the staff member who usually cleans up here. I hadn't seen her in a while. I'd been all over the place and was never here when she'd come for my laundry, or dust for me. I told her she didn't have to, but she did anyway. 

I had stopped short because Reya was standing extremely close to Nick. I heard her talking very low, but I couldn't make out any of the words. My jaw dropped when I saw her cup his crotch with her hand and rub. Of course he's fucking the maid. I just continued to walk out of my room like I didn't even see them there and went straight for the stairs.

        "Oh hey! Gia" I heard her voice call out to me. I turned around and she was already standing away from Nick and smiling at me. "I haven't seen you in a while. I just wanted to say hi" she innocently greeted me. It's not like she knows I'm hooking up with Nick too, and that I'm fuming right now for having seen them together. 

"I know, it has. How are you?" I put on a fake friendly face. I'm starting to get good at it. Nick wouldn't look at me. "I'm good. Busy" she said, waving around as if she was cleaning the whole house right now. Yeah, I'm sure she's really busy. Busy fucking Nick. "I bet," I said, looking right past her at Nico instead. His eyes snapped over to mine but I was already turning around.

"Good seeing you. Have fun," I called out, waving bye from over my head while descending the stairs. "Fun?" I heard her question. I paused. "Cleaning and what not," I explained my bullshit answer and disappeared before she could even respond. Nick knew what I meant.

-

        I ended up calling Dom and asking him to pick me up before they all sat down for dinner. I wanted to join them. I texted Nick that he didn't need to scavenger hunt me, that I was with Dom and fine. That's all I said. *Nick: Do you want me to pick you up later?* he texted back, but I put my phone away. I missed this house and the people in it right now. 

I gave Zio Tony a big hug and Zia Carlotta one too. They had their emotional moment with me where they expressed how afraid and worried they'd been to hear what I went through. I told them I was actively trying not to think about it, and they finally let it go after five more hugs and kisses. We sat down for a meal and I missed my aunt's cooking so much.

        "Zia, ugh, it's been way too long without having your food," I shoved my mouth full of it. She was grinning ear to ear. "You see who appreciates my cooking," she scolded my Zio Tony. He rolled his eyes and held his hands up asking, "When did I ever complain about your food?" Dom started laughing and shook his head. 

"But you don't say thank you," she still pressed him. He finally caved and kissed his wife on the cheek.

"I'm the luckiest man on the planet. I know that," Zio Tony flattered his wife. "Awww" I clapped my hands together. "Ew alright alright," Dom broke it all up. "Hey, appreciate seeing real love because it doesn't exist anymore," I pointed a fork at Dom. 

"What's the matter? Did something happen with you and Mikhail?" my uncle asked. I wanted to snort but I didn't. "No, everything is fine with Mikhail. He's coming back in a few weeks," I reminded him, and myself. I don't know what the fuck I'm going to do when he does come. I don't want to marry him. I realized that for sure when Nick asked me about it.

        My feelings for Nick turned from purely physical attraction to now my feelings being confused, and I knew I needed to stop it. Nico is the kind of guy who fucks his maid. He's the kind of guy who fucks Russian prostitutes. And me, he fucks me. I can't even imagine who else.

 Dominic's eyes went to mine after I had said that. He looked at me like he knew I was thinking about someone else. I looked back at my plate to avoid his inquiring eyes. "Zio, I think maybe I'll sleep over tonight since I'm here," I half asked/half told him. "Will it be safe?" Zia looked up at her husband. He pushed back the chair slightly so he could give his belly some room.

"I mean she's already here. No trouble yet. One night, stay with the family," he broke into his smile and I smiled back in relief. I missed home and I didn't realize how much until I walked back in here today. 

        Our home is more modest than the lavish mansion with beautiful archways and painted ceilings. We have a beautiful home, but it was low key in comparison to what the Luciano's have. It felt cozier. I was genuinely happy to be at this table tonight. I missed this too. Us bantering back and forth at the table in much louder voices than we needed to, because we all talk over each other. 

We'd been at the table a lot longer today because we had so much to catch up on. We didn't mention any of the business stuff. It was strictly family time. 

"Tesoro, have you gotten to see your papa this month at all?" Zio Tony asked about his brother. "Yeah, twice," I nodded. "I'll have to make a day to see him. It's been a month. That's shameful not to see your brother," Zio nodded his head like he was both talking to and agreeing with himself. "I'll go with you. Just let me know the day," I told him. 

"We should all go. We haven't done a family meet up in a long time. Everybody always goes at their own times" Zia suggested. My dad loves the loudness and business of a full house, so us four going to visit him at once was the closest thing to it. 

We couldn't have more than four at a time anyway.

        "Does your dad know about..." Zio Tony trailed off. "We said we wouldn't talk about it," Dom pointed a finger at his dad from across the table to remind him. Zio zipped his lips shut with his thick hand and put them up in mock surrender. Before I could say anything about it Dom's phone started ringing. "Oh it's Nico, I'll be right back" he excused himself from the table. 

I started chatting with them about Italy while we waited for Dom to return. He came back pretty quickly and touched my shoulder to get my attention. I looked up to see why. "Nico is on his way to come get you," he told me with an apologetic look. "What? Why?" I furrowed my brows. "He doesn't take no for an answer. He said you're safer there," he shrugged.

"Nico has gotten very protective," my uncle noted. "Well he did run into a burning building for me, so I guess he just wants to make sure he doesn't have to do something like that again," I grumbled to them. I was mad that I was leaving. 

My uncle made a face I couldn't quite read. "That's right. We have to take him to dinner and get him something to say thank you. He saved our girl," he said to my aunt. She nodded along and asked Dom what Nicolas likes that they could give him.

        "You" Dom whispered to me while his parents were talking over each other. "Huh?" I didn't catch on. "My mom asked what he wants," Dom smirked and shook his shoulders with laughter. I smacked him and he whined. I loved how my uncle said 'our girl' to my aunt like I really was their kid. They've always made sure I was so loved and cared for. They really are like parents to me, but I don't say that in front of dad because I think it'd make him sad. 

Nobody will ever replace my father. I love him to death and the first 13 years of my life were great ones. And I'm hoping once he's back home in five years that we'll have many more great ones together. We'll have to make up for lost time somehow.

        When the doorbell rang my uncle went to answer it and insisted Nico come inside for a minute. They asked if he wanted anything to eat or drink about 30 times and each time Nick thanked them, but said he was fine. That's what he gets for coming here. I didn't even try to save him. 

"We should get going Gia," Nico rose from the table and smoothed out his shirt. I think he got that habit from when he wears suits, but today he's dressed casually and he still does it.

"Actually" Nick said, getting all our attention. "Since I'm here will you show me your other paintings?" he surprised me by asking. I'm not sure why I blushed, but I did, and nodded for him to follow me.

I didn't like the look on my uncle and aunt's faces while they observed us. It's how Giuseppe looks. They're all confused on what the nature of our relationship is, and they're worried about it. Lucky for them Nick isn't the settling down type, and he's fucking every woman he knows. They don't have to worry about anything. 

        My paintings weren't in my room, they were actually in a room entirely dedicated to my art. It was my studio. It was just a room with a large window where the perfect amount of sun would illuminate the space for me. It was all hardwood flooring, but I had tarps down sometimes to keep the paint from staining it.

I forgot that Nico had already seen this room because at the very beginning of all this he'd come to pick up my art supplies for me. Maybe he didn't even think to look at all the canvas' leaning against walls or shoved in the closet that this room had. There wasn't really furniture here. Just a stool and a bean bag in the very corner where I sit sometimes to think before I paint. 

It was messy here, but it was my special room, and I loved it. 

"Have you ever drawn someone naked?" he asked me as I motioned for him to take a look at whatever pile he chose from. "Yeah, all the time," I answered honestly. His face was funny when he scowled. "In school they have nude models come all the time so we can practice," I explained.

 "When are you gonna paint me naked then?" He tried teasing me. I rolled my eyes, but he didn't notice because he was focusing on whatever canvas it was that he was looking at.

        "Is this you?" he asked, turning it for me to see. "Sort of, it's like an interpretation of myself," I explained. "Shit...that's really good. I would hang that on my wall," he told me. I gave him a nod in thanks. The piece was a very emotional piece. It was the face of a girl with two other versions of her face breaking free from the main face looking forward at the viewer. 

One is screaming and stretching to the left and the other is crying and stretching to the right. She had the same eyes I have, which is why he knew it was me, but I didn't want it to look too much like myself because it's hard to look at your face pulling and screaming.

I took the canvas from his hands and stared at it. It was actually a perfect representation of how I've been feeling. Torn, void, pulling in all directions with pain and fear and sadness.

I blinked away the blur of tears that formed in my eyes and turned the canvas away from me while putting it back down. 

        "Gia, I had no idea you were this good. I mean I saw the two paints that you did of landscapes and those blew me away, but now these portraits and other strange ones that just look fucking cool as hell. Wow," he shook his head, actually impressed. "Uh, thanks" I awkwardly accepted the compliment. I was bad at receiving compliments about my work. Someone can call me pretty and I'm, like, fine with it...but call my work pretty and I'm a bumbling idiot. 

He stopped at another one and asked the exact same question again. "Is that you?" I sighed and looked at what he was referring to now.

It was my painting of a little girl trapped behind bars. But the thing with that painting was that the whole world was in that cage with her and outside of the cage was nothing but darkness.

        "When your only parent is in prison it sort of feels like you are too. Even with the world at my feet I'm still behind these imaginary bars, waiting for my life to start up again when he does," I looked away from him. "Shit" Nick said, realizing the deep rooted meaning to that sad little girl.

 "Okay, I think that's enough for today," I clapped my hands together to show him that time was up. My art can be very personal and it seemed like he keyed in on each and every one. 

He looked at me for a minute which made me uncomfortable. "What" I snapped. He smirked and shook his head. "Nothing. You're just an impressive person," he shrugged. I followed him out then said bye to my family several times. I wasn't going far, but it'd been so long and here I was leaving again for who knows how much longer. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

415K 5.7K 58
The failure to put trust into a stranger's words and a simple act of judgement became the catalyst for a tragic night. Arabella's pleasant life becom...
429K 4.8K 39
Enemies don't look at each other the way you do. !!THE BOOK IS GOING TO BE EDITED SOON!! After the problem she went through and escaping her abusive...
648K 21.4K 64
❝I want to worship you like a queen. Every fucking day. And use you like my little slut. Every fucking night. Together, we can set the world on fire...
263K 5.7K 88
{COMPLETE} When Isabella's wedding ceremony is ruined by the one and only Kyzer Caruso, he kidnaps her and forces her to love him, no matter how long...