Omerta

By Heartmyart

When there's an attempt on Gia TerraNova and her family's lives she's forced into sheltering at the big boss... More

Chapter 1
Bonus (Nico's POV)
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Bonus (Nico's POV)
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
BONUS (Nico's POV)
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35 (Nico's POV)
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49 (Nick's POV)
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59 (Nick's POV)
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63 (Nick's POV)
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70 (Nick's POV)
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74 (Nick's POV)
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77 (Nick's POV)
Chapter 78
Chapter 79 (Nick's POV)
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Other stories

Chapter 36

7K 203 16
By Heartmyart

         I couldn't be mad at Nick for snooping and following me around tonight, because that's the only reason why my life was saved. If he hadn't tracked that cabbie I would have...I shivered at the image of myself in flames running through my mind. "Are you cold?" he asked when he felt my body shake. "No. Just thinking" I whispered. "About?" he asked, hesitantly. 

"This image just keeps replaying in my mind. There was a moment, after I tried everything to break the door down and couldn't, that my body gave up. It told me I was going to die and it showed me how. I was engulfed in flames and I was screaming" I hiccuped, trying to hold back the tears threatening to break free. He scooted closer to me and pulled me to him. 

"Hey, don't think about that. That's gruesome," he shook his head. "I was so afraid," I sniffled. "Me too, Gia," he surprised me by saying so openly.

        "Gia, I know I said I'd wait but...what the hell happened tonight?" he finally asked me. I sighed and nuzzled into him for a second to try and calm these frayed nerves. "I was betrayed," I said out loud for the first time. "Huh?" Nick's body stiffened. I wasn't sure I wanted to tell him, but I figured I could tell him this half of the story without having to mention that I found the lighter. I would play dumb for now and let whoever did this think they got away with it. 

I'm sure they're disappointed I'm alive, but they think they're safe and that I'm none the wiser. They'll regret it.

        "Gia, please. I ran into a burning building tonight. Can you at least do me the courtesy of telling me why?" he added when I'd gone quiet. I sat up straight in the bed, which made him slide up to a seated position next to me. "If you're going to hold it over my head for saving me tonight then get the gloating over with now," I snapped. His brows furrowed. 

"I'm not gloating. I didn't mean it that way. I'm not gonna hold it over your head. I made a choice to go in there," he sighed. Why did he go in there? I wanted to ask but I didn't.

        "I went to the flower shop because I got a phone call telling me there was something there that I would want," I started, still having a hard time admitting who it was. "Who?" He sat straighter. "Richie," my voice almost failed me. "WHAT?!" he bellowed out in the deepest tone. He went to stand up and I grabbed his arm to stop him. "Wait, you don't even know the rest of the story," I pulled him back down. "I'm gonna fucking kill him," his tone turned sinister. 

"I won't tell you anything else if you don't cut it out and respect what I want to do from here" I warned him. He glared at me for a minute, but finally settled into his previous seated position. He was fidgeting though, and I knew it was because he was on the verge of flipping out. I tucked my feet under me and sat beside him again.

        "Richie told me he had something I would want, so I met up with him there to see it. When I got there the Mustached man was there. He wasn't tied up or anything, so I realized I was set up, but before I could do anything about it I think he hit me with the butt of his gun. Hence the cracked head. By the time I woke up I was in a burning building. It was pitch black in that room. I couldn't do anything fast enough," I sighed. 

"Richie...before he brought me to the guy he told me he loved me like family...I should've realized something was wrong. I should've run away, but I was so fixated on getting the bastard that I didn't even think someone I consider family would betray me this way." I turned my head away from Nick, because I was both ashamed and because I didn't want him to see the pain in my face.

        "Giada, I'm gonna make your cousin pay for this. No more nice girl excuses. Your cousin tried to murder you tonight" he took my chin and made me look at him. "He said he was so sorry right before I was hit in the head. I don't think he wanted to kill me. I think he was forced to. They must've threatened him" I explained. Nick's face took on that harsh expressionless mask. 

"Even when threatened, you don't dime-on your family. He's a coward" his jaw tensed and his voice turned gritty. I thought about it, but I couldn't imagine myself being okay with killing him. "I would have to talk to Dom about this. It's his family too, maybe he'd have a better outlook on it."

"Then get Dom in here now because I'm not waiting to handle this or he'll run. Gia, leave this to me. You don't have to know what happens," Nico offered. I shook my head no. Little Richie had his father, his own mother and siblings. My cousin Smalls was his step brother. What would that do to him or my aunt? I said as much to Nicolas which only pissed him off more. 

"You think he gave you that same courtesy?! You have loved ones too! He didn't give a fuck," he spat. I sighed and stood up since he did. I could tell he was ready to bound straight out the door. 

"Dom" Nick shouted, going toward the hall. I pulled his hand but he continued.

        Dominic's bedroom door opened and he furrowed his brows at the angry looking Nicolas, and my grabbing at him. Nick told him everything I said and I watched Dom's face morph into one of shock then anger. I've actually never seen him so angry in my entire life. 

"Gia, Nico's right. I'll fucking kill him myself. He was willing to get you killed because he was too cowardly. Omerta means silence and loyalty. That's the oath we all take" my cousin sounded like a brainwashed puppy. I rolled my eyes.

"Giada, I'm taking the lead on this. I'm calling a meeting right now and we're going to tell my dad everything. And then I'm going to pay Little Richie a visit. You can be mad at me if you want to, but I'm doing it, and Dom is coming with me," he clasped my cousin on the back before hollering downstairs that we were having a family meeting. 

I was overwhelmed but followed them.

        We all ended up in Giuseppe's office. Giuseppe sat behind his desk like he always does and his wife stood beside him with her hand rested on his shoulder. Vincent lingered off to the side with his arms folded over his chest, and Dom and I were sitting in the two chairs directly opposite of Giuseppe. Nick was taking the lead on this conversation, so he was standing with his attention to all of us. I had to sit there and listen to Nicolas retell the entire story from start to finish. I squeezed my eyes shut and tried pushing the images of that fire out of my mind. I was in pain right now too which wasn't helping the turmoil inside me. I couldn't walk without a limp and a flinch.

        "Padre, I want to handle this myself. Leave Richie to me" Nicolas asked his father. Giuseppe looked at me and then back to his son. "Do what you have to do," he nodded in agreement. A tear ran down my cheek and Dom rubbed my back to try and soothe me. "Gia, you don't have to be involved in this, but don't feel guilty. Your own family member left you to die in a fire. Not even a quick and painless death. He was going to let you burn. Do you understand that?" he asked. I sniffled and got to my feet.

"Yes! Understand everything in a painfully clear way. I was the one locked in a hot room full of smoke! In the pitch black while I tried to claw my way out! My foot is black and blue, my nails are broken, that's how hard I fought. I understand perfectly fine. But you're asking me to consent to murder. Why can't I just tell the cops I know who my attacker was and let him go to prison for it?" I asked. 

"Because if he's willing to snitch on you then he's willing to snitch on us. No. He's to die tonight and that's final" Giuseppe snapped. I glared at him in a deadly manner.

"I want to look him in the eyes and ask why" I turned to Nico. Surprisingly he didn't fight me on it. He agreed.

        Nicolas turned to his brother. "You coming Vin?" he asked him. Vincent was in his own world, so when his head snapped up it took him a moment to even remember what was asked of him. "Oh you know it brother" he walked over and clasped Nick on the back. Giuseppe seemed pleased and dismissed us from the meeting now that everyone knew all the details of tonight. 

I watched Giuseppe very closely as we all spoke. I wanted to see if he'd show me a tell that would tell me he was a part of the fire tonight.

Do you want me dead Giuseppe? He noticed my stare and his face hardened. I looked away finally and was grabbed by Dom to lead me out. I wasn't sure if I was being dumb for tagging along tonight, but I don't think I'd find closure otherwise. 

Maybe he had an explanation and I could tell the guys to back off. Maybe they threatened his mother and siblings and he had to make a choice. A tough choice. He seemed regretful when he last looked me in the eyes. 

I prayed this ended better than tonight began.

-

        Little Richie lived with his father and my aunt because they had more money than his single mother did with her three other children. It would be there that we're going. I tried texting my aunt to warn her that they had business in her home, but she didn't answer and I worried she wouldn't see it in time. 

Nick was in all black and he reminded me of the grim reaper tonight. There's actually a faceless mobster whom no one has been able to identify nicknamed 'The grim reaper' for his reputation as a hitman. That's what this all felt like. All the guys were in serious faces as if they'd put on their work uniforms. I stayed quiet.it

        I was trembling with a mix of emotions. Being this stressed had my chest feeling tight. It made me cough sometimes from the smoke inhalation I experienced just hours ago. Tonight would prove to be the longest night of my life if all this madness kept up. The fire had happened around dinner time. It wasn't even that late yet, but it seemed no one had seen anything when that fire occurred. The nosy onlookers only came later when the whole place was up in smoke.

        My Zia Cecile and her husband live in a middle class neighborhood. A neighborhood that's entirely run by the Luciano family. Most of his henchmen live in this neighborhood. When we slowed to a stop in our blacked out car some neighborhood guys, who were outside playing dominos, all stopped to look at us. They knew a blacked out car meant business. The old men in their scully caps nodded their heads in respect to the Luciano brother's and even Dominic. The TerraNova family was just as well known for being the close right hands to the Luciano family.

 The men walked across the street to the two story house of Zia Cecile, and Vincent looked over his shoulder at the mostly calm street before knocking rather harshly on the door.

        The men who were playing Dominos packed their game up and disappeared before we were even inside. I kept my head down and stared at my feet. When the door opened it was Big Richie and his eyes went wide with surprise when he saw Nicolas Luciano front and center at his door.

"Mr. Luciano" Big Richie straightened his posture and bowed his head. Nick gave no greetings, he pushed past my uncle and let himself in. The rest of us followed and Big Richie was smart enough to let us without incident. It was only around 9pm, but my aunt was already in her night robe, so she squeezed it shut with the same surprise written in her expression as her husband's. 

"Domi? Gia?" she tipped her head in confusion.

"Zia..I tried to-" I was about to explain, but Nico stepped between us and addressed the two of them. 

        "This is business. Where's your son?" Nico asked Richie senior. "Not Smalls" Dom clarified for my aunt and uncle. "Richie?" they asked in unison. Vincent and Nicolas nodded, but showed no expressions to give away what they might be here for. "I don't think Richie's come home yet?" Zia Cecile looked to her husband. 

Since she's the oldest sibling she had noticeable smile lines on her filled face. She still colored her hair so it was dark like ours. It was kept short in a bob. She's got hips to her, I have her subtle frame. Or maybe my mother's, I wouldn't know. 

"He hasn't, but we can call him," Big Richie offered. Vincent led him to their living room and Richie pulled out his phone to call his son. Zia Cecile came beside me and Dom, giving us a kiss before whispering, "Is everything okay?" I gave her an apologetic look.

        "Nico, can I please explain to them what's going on?" I asked him. He agreed and sat them down on the couch before my story was told for the fourth time tonight. Zia Cecile gasped and covered her mouth in shock before she started to cry. Big Richie put his head in his hands. 

"What has he done?" he shook his head repeatedly. His father looked devastated unlike the time he told me his son deserved his hand to be burned. This was some sick twisted karma surrounding the three of us and burns and fires.

        Big Richie called his son several times without any answer. Little Richie was off sulking somewhere in his guilt. The thing is he doesn't know I survived this fire, so he doesn't know he's caught. He won't know the guys are after him until that detail comes out...and then he'll run. Unless he's too ashamed to face his family tonight, even if he thinks they don't know he's a part of this. Nick stood proud and tall while addressing my crying aunt and uncle. 

"Find him and bring him to me. The longer he makes me wait the worse it'll be," he warned. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

428K 4.8K 39
Enemies don't look at each other the way you do. !!THE BOOK IS GOING TO BE EDITED SOON!! After the problem she went through and escaping her abusive...
5M 130K 113
When a sweet innocent Kat finds herself crossing paths with the dark and dangerous Renzo of the Boston mob she has no idea who she let into her life...
82.5K 2.2K 38
•••• 𝐀𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐚 𝐒𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐨 Being in the shadows, she gets no attention from her abusive father. Only wanting to go to collage and become succes...
2.5M 58.7K 81
Mia Fiore has been running from dangerous men for half her life. Now that she's focused on a fashion career and finally reuniting with her brother, i...