Beloved

By wyrdingway

On his eighteenth birthday, a young alpha learns the shewolf he wants as mate isn't his goddess given mate, b... More

Prequel
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32

14

85 2 0
By wyrdingway

Dante scooped Gaia close, spooning her against his body. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes, letting her scent relax him. In the back of his mind he could sense his wolf on alert, and wondered what his anxiety might be about. He figured he could do worse than to wait and watch through his wolf's eyes.

He was aware of staff and visitors checking in periodically, but only knew it was after dinner by the smell of food left by his mother. He wasn't certain how much time had passed before he sensed a subtle shifting, he could only liken as leaves dancing in a breeze.

He strained to determine the sensation, or the cause of it, and he felt his wolf following it, and the distance between himself and his wolf widening.

**
Gaia found herself standing in a meadow blossoming in jewel tones, under a night sky brilliant with stars. The air was sweet with sun-warmed earth and flowers, and the moon was full and hanging low.

She felt safe and full of peace, loved, and wanted.

Sensing a presence, she turned and found a beautiful wolf watching her. Her luxuriously thick pelt was white, tipped with pale gray, giving her a silvery halo effect, her eyes were a silver, and on her forehead was a patch of solid white shaped like a four pointed star.

Gaia fell to her knees, tears springing to her eyes. The wolf approached her and licked her face. Gaia wrapped her arms around her wolf's neck and rubbed her face in the thick, soft fur.

Hello Gaia, I am your wolf, my name is Gray-star

Gray-star. I'm sorry I didn't want to meet you yet, I'm sorry I didn't feel ready, I still don't, but I'm glad you're here

I'm glad I'm here, too, little one. I understand that you didn't feel ready. You've only just celebrated your seventeenth year. The next few months won't be easy. I'll be buffering the bulk of the discomfort for you, but I'll be sleeping for most of the next portion of the transition.

How long can I stay here with you?

This realm is the goddess', and we shouldn't overstay. We'll be leaving here together. I'll be a part of you when you awaken.

**

Cordut, do you know what that is?

After several more minutes the sensation ended with an abruptness that felt like the sun breaking over the horizon after a stormy night.

Mate is here

Dante sensed a new presence near and turned his attention to it. In his arms he saw a cloaked form, and when he gently pulled the cloth from the top he was greeted with Gaia, asleep in his arms. His wolf was relaxed and contented, his wolf's next thought, after a period of dreamy reflection, was happy, and bordering reverential

Our mate is arrived

Gaia's breathing pattern changed.

Dante heaved a sigh and absently tightened his arm around the girl he held against his body. His brow twitched when a muffled sound that could be a chuckle or a sob reached his ears. His eyes cracked open, his gaze riveting on her. She was curled against him, her head on his shoulder.

He could feel contentment and joy emanating from her. He relaxed and kissed the top of her head, breathing in the scent of her.

Gaia murmured, "Dante."

He replied, "Gaia."

He felt the lashes of her eye tickle his arm and her body stiffened. She hesitated, but excitement was evident when she said, "I met my wolf."

"Good. I know my wolf is anxious to meet her." He was happy for her. He hoped her beast would be able to help Gaia over the next few months. He wasn't certain he'd be able to wile away a day in bed with her again. He longed to move his body and use his brain.

"Can I have some water?"

"Sure," he pushed himself up on his elbow and pulled the rolling table his mother had kept in his reach closer. He swung Gaia into his lap as he sat up and helped her drink from the cup. When she had her fill he drank his own cup. "How are you feeling?"

"The pain is nearly gone. My wolf said she'd be buffering most of it now she's here."

Dante nodded, "That's good."

"But she'll be asleep for the next few months."

"I would expect her to mostly rest. I expect you will too. I slept more than normal most of last year, and my appetite nearly tripled. You'll be okay if I go to the bathroom?"

She nodded.

He lifted her off his lap and slid off the bed. After he finished in the bathroom he returned to the room and found Gaia still sitting up in the bed, peering at everything around her. "Hey you. Feeling better?"

The lights were off and the blackout curtains were still drawn over the closed blinds, but there was more than enough light for a werewolf's eyes from the various machines. And gaining one's wolf enhanced one's senses, which took time to settle into.

He drew the curtains and adjusted the blinds to allow in the lingering moonlight through the filter of the slats. Then he crossed the room and opened the small fridge, finding the food his mom had left for them.

"Yeah, I am." She watched him pull bags out of the little refrigerator and open them. "Um, how long have I been here?"

"I brought you in Friday, today is Tuesday. Five days, give or take a few hours. Are you hungry?"

"Five days," she mumbled. Her stomach rumbled. "I can eat. What're we having?"

"Breakfast, lunch or dinner?"

Gaia wasn't certain she understood the question he was asking. Deciding she liked all three meals, she offered, "Yes."

Dante turned to look at her, his brow arched, "Which one?" He watched emotions play over her face, widening her eyes and ever so slightly pushing out her lower lip.

"I can only choose one?"

Oh goddess, she was adorable. He laughed.

Gaia felt his laughter deep within her body, caressing her core. She gasped and pulled her knees to her chest.

He turned his attention back to the bags and began to unpack one, saying, "I'll fix us a little of each, then. You can have what you want."

"Thank you." She watched him as he worked, indulging her eyes on the feast that was the grace of his movements, and the lines of his form. She blushed when he turned around with two plates of reheated food.

Dante smirked, and carried the two plates over to the rolling table tray. He knew she'd been watching him, and the slight flush in her cheeks confirmed it, but she hadn't looked away, confident in her right to study him.

Gaia tilted her head as he approached, watching as he set the plates down on the table, and blushing again when his eyes met and held hers.

"Like what you see?"

"You brought me food." She looked at the plates. Half an omelet, sausage links, roast beef sandwich on rye, and roast chicken with green beans and roasted potatoes. It looked like far more food than she could eat all at once, but she was so very hungry! She reached for her fork, saying, "Oh, yes, it all looks so delicious! Thank you." She glanced up at him a brilliant smile on her face, then popped a forkful of cheesy egg and sausage in her mouth, humming with happiness.

He chuckled and shook his head. She was either very innocent, or a very clever minx. He picked up his own fork.

They surreptitiously stole glances at each other as they ate quietly for several minutes.

"Dante?"

"Yes, Gaia?"

"My wolf told me you and your wolf helped her come early, thank you."

Dante paused to ponder what she meant. "Um, I don't know what I did."

"You anchored me, and Cordut bridged us, and she said she doesn't think you even took one break. It could have taken days longer for me to meet her had you taken any breaks."

He rested his fork and looked at her. Why hadn't Cordut explained it like that? "I did?" Wait, when did he tell her his wolf's name? Even Angelica didn't know his wolf's name.

"She's looking forward to meeting Cordut, too."

"Did I tell you my wolf's name?"

"No, I met him. He introduced himself. He took your form, but he didn't exactly look like you, or sound like you, there were some differences. He's very sweet."

"Did you just say my wolf is sweet?"

"Mhmm. He was waiting for my wolf and I when we left the goddess' grotto."

"You were in the goddess' grotto? Did you see her?"

"That was my second time there. I've not seen her, but I heard her speaking to me the first time I visited, but this time I met my wolf and brought her with me. You made that possible."

Why didn't you bring me to the dream party?

Couldn't,, mate's not claimed.

"Do you think your wolf would be willing to wake up long enough to look through your eyes?"

Gaia rolled her bottom lip between her teeth, "Will she get to meet Cordut?"

"That's the idea."

Gray-star?

Yes, little one?

Would you like to see through my eyes for a little while? Dante will bring Cordut forward.

I think we can handle that for a few minutes. Breathe and relax, allow me to come forward.

Dante watched in amusement as she closed her eyes. His smile faded when he saw what appeared to be a diamond shape form on her forehead. He leaned forward for closer inspection, but reared back in surprise when she opened her eyes, and they were silver. Most wolves either had amber, brown or black eyes with a scattering few having blue eyes, but the handmaidens all had jewel-tones, or gold, or silver eyes in wolf form.

"Bless it!...you're a handmaiden," Dante whispered hoarsely. No wonder his wolf was so protective of her. He could feel Cordut practically clawing to shove him aside.

Gray-star smiled, "Hello Dante, my name is Gray-star, and yes, I am a handmaiden. Will you let Cordut out, please? I can't stay long, I don't want to overtax my human."

Dante allowed his wolf forward, watching the exchange with interest. Had his wolf known? What did his wolf know of the handmaidens? Of this particular handmaiden? Considering how little his wolf was willing to impart to him thus far he was certain he would have to get his Gamma on the hunt for handmaiden lore.

All handmaidens were incredible assets to the packs they were born into, mated into, and surrounded by. Their gifts were known to bring worthy packs and their allies to power and glory, or crush enemies and bring tyrants to their knees. A rare few were renowned for what they represented.

Gazing into his mate's beautiful eyes, Cordut deftly pushed the table tray to the side and moved to sit hip to hip with his mate. He wanted to drink her in and swallow her whole, but he would have to abide her human's pace. He trailed his hand gently over her human's loose curls, relishing the silky soft texture and the way her tresses gleamed in the soft light, then grazed his knuckle against her creamy soft cheek.

Gray-star watched him, reaching up to cradle his hand against her cheek. His beautiful amber eyes met hers once more and she smiled. She reached her free hand to his cheek, parting her lips when he cupped her hand to his cheek, the light stubble tickling her palm, intensifying the tingles.

Beautiful mate, I have missed you, I have waited for you. Cordut rested his forehead against hers, holding her gaze with his. He could stare into her eyes forever, cherishing every moment of their lives they shared, honored he got to share his lives with her.

Heart of my soul, we don't have an easy path this turn

As ever, my beloved, whatever comes, we'll meet it together Cordut lifted his head and kissed her forehead, letting go of her hands to envelop her in his arms. He smiled as she followed his lead, wrapping her arms around his waist, resting her head on his shoulder.

Together.

Cordut held Gray-star until she fell asleep, allowing Gaia to come forward once more.

***

Dante continued to hold Gaia until she stiffened and pulled away. His mouth curved into a small smile, noticing that her eyes did a cute flutter when she blushed.

"You're very close."

He scooted to sit beside her knees, resting his hands in his lap, "I think our wolves like each other." Dante glanced at the clock.

"Yeah, that's, um ...that was evident." Gaia lowered her gaze to her hands laced, palms up in her lap.

"We have a little more than two hours before anyone comes to check on us." He paused from saying anything more, taking a moment to appreciate her beauty while she wasn't looking at him.

Gaia pondered the possibilities for a moment, then flicked her gaze to meet his, offering, "Would you want to play twenty questions?"

"Twenty questions," he repeated. "Okay. What are five words that describe you?"

"Five words... hmm, smart..., creative, ... talented, ... um, helpful..."

"Stubborn."

Gaia peered at him, "Are you calling me stubborn?"

His brows lifted. "Is that your question?"

Her brow furrowed. "No. We're still on your question to me. I didn't finish, you interrupted."

Dante watched her pretty face screw up in her cute little pout. He was fairly certain she didn't even realize she did that. "I am calling you stubborn, because you are stubborn." He smirked, "And you're all those other things, too."

"I'm certain I have plenty of faults."

He tilted his head. "That's seven words, you can do better."

"Really. What are five words that describe you?"

He grinned. "I'm perfect in every way."

She narrowed her eyes and lifted her finger, saying, "Clever... arrogant, but clever..." she giggled at his feigned hurt reaction, then said, "hmm, I am delightfully perfectly imperfect."

He chuckled.

"What's your favorite constellation?"

His brows lifted and his eyes widened. He wasn't expecting such a question so quickly in the game. "Huh,... y'know of all the time I've spent gazing at the night sky it never occurred to me once to learn the patterns or their names."

"Interesting. I don't have a favorite, I love them all and all the stories behind them."

"You've read all the myths?"

"Well, not all the myths. I've read our kind's myths, and I've found a few of human myth books at the library, but they seem to have several versions, but their stories are fascinating, too, with their own constellations, and..." she stopped talking, a blush rising in her cheeks, and glanced at him. "I'm rambling. I'm sorry."

He chuckled softly and shook his head at her, "What do you find fascinating about the stories?"

"I've always loved our kind's myths and legends," she shrugged, her eyes darting back to her hands in her lap, "I love the adventures and all the interesting characters, and of course the epic tales of heroics that landed them permanent homes in the goddess' grotto. And I love I can look at the stars at night and know I'm seeing the same stars as my ancestors." Her eyes drifted up to meet his. "Such simple things can be shared generations across time. It's kind of beautiful."

He took a moment to respond, clearing his throat. "Well, you may have talked me into picking up a book of folklore again." He grinned seeing her blush, "Hmm, okay. What's your favorite movie?"

Her eyes widened. "Oh, wow... just one?"

"Is it too many choices?"

"Hmm? No, I just like different movies for different reasons and don't have any single favorites."

"How about top five favorite?"

"That's really not much better."

"Try."

"Okay... let's see ...The Princess Bride, ... Ladyhawk, ... Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, ... and lord of the rings trilogy."

"Technically that's... seven."

"Shh," she patted his hand and gave him a knowing wink, "it'll be alright. Let it slide."

"You really like fantasy."

"Yeah, and? What do you like?

"I like movies like Goodfellas, Full Metal Jacket, and three hundred. But I liked lord of the rings, too."

"You really like action." She locked eyes with him and the corners of her mouth couldn't help but twitch up until she was smiling. Then she giggled because he was chuckling and shaking his head.

They were on question fourteen when the duty nurse lightly knocked on the door and entered. When she noticed the patient was awake her eyes widened and she turned to catch the door and beckon someone in the hall. She was immediately joined by the doctor, who hurried over to the bedside.

"You're awake! Why didn't you alert us?" The doctor gestured to the nurse to perform a thorough wellness check on Gaia. The nurse grabbed the BP cuff, adjusted her stethoscope, and proceeded to measure, inspect, assess, and note Gaia's general physical health.

Dante's brow raised, his gaze landing on the doctor, though he kept the nurse's ministrations in his awareness. "Everything seemed fine, so I didn't think it was necessary to say anything."

"Early emergence is so rare we really don't understand it. Collecting the data is essential for deepening our knowledge. Gaia, how are you feeling?

Gaia said, "I feel fine."

"When I saw you last, you were in a great deal of pain. We only gave you the one dose of pain medication, because your mate never left your side after a freshen-up in the bathroom. It should have worn off around six hours after it was administered, which would have been around one in the afternoon yesterday. You don't appear to be in any pain now."

"I'm not in pain. I feel a little weak, and a bit stiff, I feel like I'd like to get out of bed and move around a little."

The doctor pressed, "You're not in any pain?" She shifted her gaze between the two, noting their proximity to each other, her brow knitting.

"Not at this time, no. My wolf says she'll be buffering most of it for me."

The doctor peered at her. "You're wolf came through?"

Gaia nodded, "Mhm, it's like there's a den deep in my mind, and I can feel her there, curled up asleep."

"Um, hmm, ok. About how long have you been awake?"

Dante glanced at the clock. "About four, maybe four and a half hours." He sensed his parents slipping into the room. He appreciated they kept a respectable distance.

"Have you eaten anything?"

"Yes. Dante heated up the food that was left in the refrigerator."

"She ate about two thirds of what I plated for her," Dante gestured toward the plates left on the rolling table.

The doctor and nurse both studied them for a moment, then the doctor said, "Well, so that would put your wolf's emergence at oh three hundred hours or so." She waited for the nurse to jot down the information before continuing, "you're not the youngest wolf to emerge, or the quickest breakthrough, but you're close. Give the staff a chance to group and they'll get you situated so you can test your legs out. A bit of exercise to stretch out your muscles will do you good." She gave Gaia and Dante a curt nod, and left after a brief exchange with the elder Alpha and Luna.

As the doctor was turning away, Dante's attention riveted upon Gaia. She was studying his parents, but her gaze slid to his.

Her heart quickened, knowing his intense gaze was on her and the thrill it gave her when their eyes met sent tingles down her spine that spread through her body, and caught her breath in her throat.

"We'll continue that game later," Dante murmured.

Gaia nodded, smiling shyly. "I'd like that."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

146K 4.6K 34
She vowed never to accept him no matter what fate had in store. He was not supposed be her mate, he was her enemy. She thought that he would turn out...
511 146 26
She Wolf will not find her mate; I curse the Spring that came too quickly. I won't fall in love! A werewolf's fate is to find a mate. Varinia is terr...
788 18 26
What happens when her true love is a guy she despies
456K 16.5K 19
When your mate rejects you, five years is all you have to find your second chance or you die. When Lilly is rejected on her 17th birthday she makes t...