,wallflower' • BRIDGERTON

By spookyjoji

hope buckingham dear gentle-readers, a new pretty face has entered the gates of london... will the desperate... More

• character •
chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 17
chapter 18
chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
chapter 23
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
chapter 28
chapter 29
chapter 30

chapter 16

969 23 7
By spookyjoji

"Who Wears The Crown?"

【16】

The ton bustled with gossip as the news of Miss Katherine Buckingham and Benedict Bridgerton spread. Some couldn't believe that Hope's sister would come to London and get an immediate connection with the most prestigious family in town.

Benedict was not courting the girl just yet, he wanted to know her through and through before even muttering the word marriage.

He was walking with the woman in the streets of town as his siblings and mother were just a couple feet away, following nearly his every move. Sabrina was getting quite acquainted with Miss Eloise Bridgerton.

Benedict glanced behind himself at his family before looking at Katherine.

"They are incredibly nosey, the wild second born dances with a woman and the whole ton runs wild." He said. Katherine nodded her head. "It is all the same where me and sisters live, everyone thirsts for the next love match or the next scandal." She said with a slight roll of her eyes.

"You couldn't believe the shock I felt when I learned of a woman by the name of Whistledown was publishing about people's lives. I mean seriously, who does this woman think she is. And..."

The woman just rambled on. She had a lot of opinions she wasn't scared to speak of. Benedict was impressed, nearly every woman in the ton was afraid to speak her mind. "...I would never do such a thing." He finally listened in. He hummed before nodding his head.

"Do you have any hobbies...? Extra activities you engage in?" He asked. Katherine nodded her head. "I do a bit of hand-embroidery, I have a thrill for books and knowledge." She said. Benedict eyes widened before he chuckled. "Really? Then you would love my eldest brother." He said.

Katherine squinted her eyes. "But he is a rake through and through, I heard. You seem to be the only brother Lady Whistledown hasn't written about yet." She said, sighing. Benedict smirks cockily. "Is that why you joined me on this walk, Miss Buckingham?" He tilted his head in a teasing manner.

Katherine looked off to the side. "Well, of course not. I just happen to be looking for a suitor and here comes you, sideways smirk and all. And, I'll have you know, it is prevalent that the eldest should marry first." She said. Benedict looked at her with confusion, if those were societies rules his family broke them long ago.

"I have a... question..." Katherine said, seemingly keeping her head low. "My sister... Hope. My father was... a special man in and of itself and my little sister had to deal with him for sixteen years. Meanwhile me and Sabrina was cared for by our mother."

"Does my sister... hate us? I mean surely she does, I would be if my sisters did not even bother looking for me for years, being left in a household where your father does not love anyone but himself." She finished. Benedict thought for a moment. There was no indication that she hated them, she was just disappointed that her own mother and father hardly cared for her.

"She does not hate you. She merely hates how her parents treated her, but Hope is not one to hold grudges, I assure you. During these 5 years of living with her she would never blame her sisters for her upbringing." He said. Katherine looked up at him before smiling softly.

Benedict returned to the bar of nearly drunken men as they boasted and bragged about their finances or how many women they have been intimate with. Benedict hardly found any reason as to why he was friends with these kind of men. But, he could not judge, last year he hung out with any gentleman and mistress when he was attending parties.

He laid down on a leather couch, sipping liquor out of his glass cup, tediously watching as the men once again, was lustily talking about Hope.

"Some of my friends got word that she is more than what meets the eye." A man said. They all chuckled. "She is not very innocent, I heard. Some seen her frolicking with Sir Issac Riddle."

The men scoffed at his words. The blond man from earlier threw his head back. "Impossible. Sir Isaac Riddle wouldn't know what to do if he was with Miss Buckingham." He said. The man with the salt and pepper beard looked over at him with a smile.

"And you do?" He asked. The men groaned. "Do not get him started on her again." One said, before the blond stood stood to his feet and stood before all of the men. "Nonsense, I'd know exactly what I'd do." He said with a smirk.

"Spare us the details, Johnny. One of us actually lives with the poor girl." A man with brunette hair said, signaling to Benedict who hummed with a strained smile. "I am sure she will return soon." He said, finally gulping down his drink.

"Ugh, the things I'd do to her." He said. Suddenly, the doors of the room opened and in came...

Hope.

"And what things are that, Sir Windinburg?" She said, opening double doors. Suddenly the men that were slumped into their seats all sat up immediately and stood to their feet. Hope's dark emerald dress fit perfectly with her near silky skin and long wavy hair that was pinned back.

Her eyes were accentuated with a dark liner so her look at Johnny was intense. She placed her arms behind her back as she walked in slowly. Johnny stepped back nervously, realizing her absence suddenly gave her a domineering aura. Hope breathed in. "Go on, I'm listening." She said, finally standing before them all. Benedict smiled slowly.

Hope listened in on the silence before humming. "Well, I suppose it is difficult to get hospitality in London." She said, before all of the men scurried off, ordering workers to make certain foods and drinks.

Once Hope was settled at a table with a few appetizers on the table the men all sat across from her at the long table, nervously watching her cut into the steak. "How much did you hear... Miss Buckingham?" The man with the salt and pepper beard asked. She ate a bit of the steak off her fork before looking up at him.

"Hm? Oh, everything. I am surprised that the men of London want to fornicate with just one woman. Most men are rakes." She said speaking to them all. "But... we do have some... limits." The blond said.

Hope chuckled softly before smirking, practically batting her pretty lashes.

"I love that you think that." She said, her voice was soft but her words were harsh. Benedict rested his head on his hand and watched as she practically insulted all the men here with just her looks alone. She picked up an olive before looking directly at the blond, who gulped deeply.

"We are incredibly sorry, we did not know..." A man trailed off, watching Hope place the olive in her mouth and chew. She looked at the man who was talking before raising an eyebrow at him. "Yes?" She said. The man shook his head.

"Never mind." He said, looking down at his lap. Hope hummed, standing up and placing her hands behind her back and pretending she was thinking. The men all watched as she walked around the table. "You gentlemen are all seeking wives, am I correct?" She asked, some nodded, some did not.

"Well... if you are wanting to marry. I'd advise you to not sexualize every woman in the ton." She said, looking at the blond that watched the gold necklace with the letter 'B' hang over her very prominent bosoms. He noticed that Benedict wore the exact same piece of jewelry she did. His eyebrows furrowed.

"Mr. Windinburg, I am sure your words towards me from now on will have only the purest of intentions." Hope said as she made her way out of the room.

Benedict hadn't seen the woman after her little visit to the bar. But, the Bridgerton's—except Benedict—were all in the painting room, Francesca played beautifully on the piano meanwhile Mrs. Bridgerton was looking for different fabrics with Madame Delacroix, who wore a dark blue long sleeved dress with black lace trimming her bosoms.

"There. You see? Lady Goring was quite taken with Eloise's dress last night, Madame Delacroix. She would keep saying how well it complimented her complexion. She said you reminded her of Daphne, dearest." Violet smiled warmly as Eloise was sitting on a couch with her nose stuck in a book. "I am not Daphne." Eloise said with a strained smile. Violet picked out a fabric. Madame hummed.

"With pleasure, Mrs. Bridgerton." She said, gathering all of her fabrics together and placing them into a nearby suitcase.

"You do know, Eloise, you might enjoy the next ball if you, in fact, danced with someone. Meeting new people, it can be thrilling." Violet chuckled. Eloise scoffed. "Yes, it certainly seemed as though Anthony had a thrilling time. Swept away by many a nimble-footed young lady, were you Brother?" She asked out loud. Anthony was sitting at a table by himself reading Lady Whistledown.

"I can still barely feel my toes. I thought you ladies were taught to dance." Anthony said with an irritating expression. "And I thought you gentlemen were capable of worthwhile conversation. How sad both of our hopes were dashed." She said, meanwhile Hyacinth sweetly walked up to the couch Eloise was sitting upon before taking a seat next to her.

"I think Eloise would make a brilliant diamond." She said with a teasing smile. "I could not agree more, Hyacinth. Perhaps Her Majesty will take note at her ball tomorrow night." Violet said with a hopeful grin.

"I do not doubt it." The Bridgerton's suddenly turn their heads to the doorway to see Hope walking in with a big smile. "Hope!" Hyacinth said, standing to her feet and running up to her, hugging her tightly. Hope hugged her back immediately.

"Dearest! We'd thought you would never return!" Violet said as she stood to her feet and hugged Hope. "I'll always return, Violet." She said, before letting her go. She looked over at Eloise who hid behind her book.

"That book is not hiding your presence, Eloise."

Eloise put down her book with a sigh before straining a smile. Hope looked over at Anthony. "Brother." She said with a nod. Anthony gave her a quick smile. "It seems the men aren't the only thing causing trouble this season from what I heard." Hope said. Eloise hummed sarcastically.

Hope watched as Madame Delacroix began to leave the room. She quickly followed after her. "Madame." She said, getting the woman's attention. "Miss Buckingham. How was your trip?" She asked politely. "Splendid. I would like to scrap the design of dresses that I prepped last year. I have decided nearly all of my dresses are bland, no offense to you , of course. But, I would like for you to... add whatever you'd like to my gowns this season. Do not hinder yourself, trying to figure out what I like." She requested. A smile adorned Madame's lips before she bowed.

"Of course, Miss Buckingham." She said, walking away from her and up to the open doors that lead into the hallway. Hope put one hand on her hip and put one hand onto the table that was right before the door and she watched Benedict come in from the hallway, looking at Madame Delacroix.

They stopped once they saw each other and Benedict couldn't help but smirk. "Madame Delacroix. I didn't know you were back in town." He said, propping his hand up on the door frame and leaning against it, obviously flirting with her. "Bien sur! Who else could dress those delicate debutantes for the season?" She said, glancing anywhere but his face, meanwhile Benedict could not focus on anything else.

Benedict chuckled before glancing down at his shoes. "Does that mean I shall see you later on tonight? I hear there's a party." He said, his voice has smooth as Madame's finest fabrics. Madame's face turned quite serious. "I have much work to do, Mr. Bridgerton, and my art must come before all else." She finishes before walking away, suitcase in hand.

Benedict nodded his head and watched as the woman went down the hall and disappeared. His head turned back around before his eyes went low. He looked at the dark grey long sleeved dress with lace tracing near the bosom area as well as the sleeves, adorning what was already there.

His eyes trailed up more and looked at the gold necklace with the letter 'B' hanging just over their chest. He looked at the long wavy black hair and the chestnut colored skin. His eyes finally landed upon...

Hope. Oh! Oh?

His eyes landed on her face that watched Madame leave. She turned her head to look at Benedict, she chuckled softly before turning around and walking over to the table she was leaning against. Benedict and her sat down. "So... Benedict. Are you and the modiste still uh... making a stitch?" She said with knowing smirk.

"Apparently not, have you found a husband yet?" He said borderline harshly, making Hope's smirk drop with a look of slight irritation. "Or are you planning on offending every man until there are none left?"

Hope scoffed. "Nonsense. I thought you hated those men, all their talking about how they wanted to do this and this to me. I didn't think you would defend them." She said tilting her head. Benedict rolled his eyes. "I am not defending them, dear Hope." He said. Hope hummed sarcastically with strained smile. She fixed herself a cup of tea and stirred sugar into the glass cup.

"I am merely saying, if you plan on using your words with knives be mindful that you are going into a pit. You will surely not be married." Benedict said before taking Hope's cup of tea before she had a chance to drink it. She tried reaching for it but Benedict grinned, pulling the tea back. "And I know that was your plan all along." He began sipping on the tea and Hope sighed, sitting back in her chair before chuckling.

Dear gentle reader,

Might our queen finally extinguish the fevered speculation and bestow the highest of honors to a most fortunate young lady tonight?

With so many futures at risk, I do suspect that this author is not the only one waiting with bated breath.

The Queen's ball was finally underway, at her very own palace, I might add. The theme of this event was the color off white, so to please the Queen—Hope wore something a little... out of the ordinary.

Her dress was appropriate, yes. For an older woman. But, Hope did not entertain such a thought, for she was not planning to wed any man this afternoon. So her bust cut, was deeper than the Pacific Ocean.

Once Kate Sharma—the woman Anthony secretly raced in the woods—Edwina Sharma, her younger sister, and their mother Mary Sharma met the Queen, they scurried off.

Mary had left a damper on her reputation, and the Queen surely reminded her of it.

Hope walked down the grand stairs with Benedict beside her, looking down at her very questionable choice of gown. He had worn a white vest that was under a regular black tailcoat. They trailed behind Violet and Eloise. Hope looked around, watching as men looked at her like their next meal.

"Anyone here you've not yet rejected or insulted?" He said with a smirk. Hope glanced over at him. "I could ask the same for you. You're the artist. Do you see any woman remotely inspiring?" She asked, Benedict looked around only once. Every woman looked the same, then his eyes turned back to Hope.

"We shall see who our diamond, and our potential ruby is tonight, and Anthony shall have his wife. So he's told me." She said, they walked across the ballroom. Suddenly Eloise and Mrs. Bridgerton approached an area right where the Queen was and the two immediately followed them.

The Queen saw them all and she had a smile almost as sweet as Hope's baby sister's. "Lady Bridgerton! Miss Bridgerton! Such a shame your presentation at court was so rudely interrupted—." She stopped her words once her eyes landed on Hope. Her face grew full of joy and Hope smiled, her nose squinted.

"My ruby!" She said walking up the girl and placing a chaste kiss on Hope's cheek. "Your Majesty, many would think I am trying to keep the title of ruby." Hope said bashfully. The Queen rolled her eyes before grabbing her hands. "You, my dear, are special. You stand out amongst them all, you will be my ruby until the end of time." She said before chuckling softly, she looked back over at Eloise before talking with her.

Benedict leaned into Hope's ear. "Why, you devil. You are the Queen's favorite. Dare I say, you could take the kingdom from her and she'd ask if you'd like Russia next." He whispered. Hope chuckled before looking back at him. "Do not worry, dear Benedict. I am sure you can shine that lopsided smile of yours and convince her you have no means of marrying." Hope whispered back. Suddenly they heard the Queen laugh heartily. They looked to see that Eloise made the woman... chuckle?

Goodness. Eloise was quick to scurry off, knowing she accidentally amused the woman.

Benedict and Hope followed behind them slowly. "If the queen, in fact, names Eloise the diamond, who will Anthony marry then?" He asked, looking over at her with furrowed eyebrows but a playful undertone to his words. Hope rolled her eyes with a smile. The two walked over to a place by a window, away from the dance floor which was crowded with couples or potential couples.

"If I do say so myself, Anthony is quite picky with his matches—and that says something, given it's coming from my lips." Hope said, straightening her creme colored—near gold—dress. Benedict suddenly watched as Miss Cowper and two other women walked up to them both. His face went cold and he reached over towards a nearby table and grabbed a glass of whiskey, sipping it slowly as he glared at the woman.

"Hope Buckingham." She heard her voice being called which made her look up. She groaned internally as Miss Cowper gave her the fakest grin known to man. "The ruby." She looked over at Benedict with a look of distaste.

"Perhaps now you might stop spending time with discourteous disappointments all evening..." Hope tilted her head and she felt something flicker in her very soul like a fire igniting into a flame. "And refine your circle of friends."

Hope glances over at Benedict with a smile that could cut the belly of a beast.  "I may have an opening—."

"I would rather die!" She shouted over at her and Benedict suddenly choked on his drink a little, her words reminded him of the very night he told off Cowper. Hope looked over at him before grabbing his hand and pulling him away from the group of sharp tongued bitches.

hopes point of view

I pulled Benedict out of the humongous palace that was the Queen's and we were met with field of yellow roses. I chuckled a bit, raising an eyebrow. "Now this is the only thing me and the Queen can disagree on. Yellow roses?" I said with a questioning look.

"Yellow roses symbolize friendship and joy. But it also symbolizes feelings of jealousy." Benedict said, putting his arms behind his back. "Alright, we are friends... best of friends at that. Why would either of us be jealous of one another?" I asked, looking over at him. Benedict chuckled softly.

"I don't know why, actually." He said. I hummed before suddenly I heard my name being called and I halted. I looked a few feet away from me to see a woman with a curly bun and creme colored dress. "It is Katherine, your sister!" She said, running up to me and hugging me tightly. My eyebrows furrowed and I looked over at Benedict who gave me a strained smiled.

"Uh... sister! I am so happy to finally meet you." Hope said, completely surprised by her presence. I suddenly saw another girl who looked somehow similar to Katherine run up to us with the biggest smile known to man. Katherine let me go. "And you must be Sabrina." I said. She nodded her head excitedly.

"You are just as beautiful as I imagined, you remind me of our mother." She said. My eyebrows furrowed with confusion. Of course, they were taken by my mother. I smiled before I suddenly saw Katherine walking up to Benedict with bashful expression.

"Mr. Bridgerton." She said, bowing slightly. Benedict returned the bow. "Miss Buckingham." He said.

Did something happen between them while I was away? I did hear from Lady Whistledown that they were dancing together one night, but that was all. I raised an eyebrow. "I am giving your sister the best of wishes on being this season's diamond." She said. Benedict nodded his head. "She will need all the wishes in the world."

They both chuckled softly before looking back at me, who tilted my head. "Oh, sister. Me and your dear Benedict are getting along just swell. I am ecstatic that you have met a man such as him." She said with a bright grin, placing a hand on his shoulder. "How long have you been courting her?" I asked, the word courting seemed to make the step away from one another.

"Oh, Hope! He is not courting me, I assure you. But, I would assume it would be soon... Mr. Bridgerton?" She said, looking over at him and her lips twitched into a smirk. He hummed. I couldn't help but be more confused. I walked away from them all and back towards the large palace.

"Benedict, I require your presence." I finally heard the pebble road under my slippered feet. Once we were yards away from my sisters I turned to look at him as he stood before me. "Out of all women... my sister, Benedict? I cannot express to you how incredibly uncomfortable that is." I explained to him. He looked down at me, rolling his eyes.

"It is not as if I'm courting you. Hope, we agreed to not question each other's choices long ago." He said. And he was indeed right about that. I sighed, glancing back. "Just... do not make it awkward for everyone else." I said, walking away from him, and back to the palace.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 28.1K 37
After the passing of Abigail Bentley's mother, she is now the only one responsible for her family's well-being. Her father, often too drunk to stand...
676K 14.8K 37
Olivia Borough (17) is Lady Bridgerton's niece who got abandoned after her mother passed away. Now that her father has died too, there is no other op...
277K 7.2K 41
Elizabeth Sheppard Has never been one for traditions. She is smart, artistic, and has a bad temper. She is a girl who is cultivated by the love stori...
101K 2K 21
•It was originally posted on tumblr, my tumblr is @alewritesfics▪︎ ♡Anthony Bridgerton x reader♡ Anthony Bridgerton has declared he's looking for a w...