My Brothers' Mafia Best Friend

By hessaherophinelove

"Aiden..." I shake my head, eyes fixed anywhere but the gorgeous man next to me. His hand grips my chin tigh... More

Prologue
Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Epilogue

Chapter 47

78.2K 1.3K 1.1K
By hessaherophinelove

Fluttering kisses on her silky skin, I'm tempted to say fuck it and stay with my girl for the rest of the night. Hold her against me like she thinks I will. But I know I can't. Revenge can be an ugly thing, especially if you're on the receiving end. I'm not, rather the contrary, I am the one delivering the blows this time. The final blow. So I can't genuinely detect where all of my sudden worry is coming from.

Perhaps it's the perception etched into the back of my mind, a persistent reminder that I no longer am by myself. Sleepily oblivious girl in my arms, the cause hidden behind my apprehension. A feeling nonexistent before my Avery became mine. Long eyelashes cast over  high cheekbones, though they aren't as visible as I'd wish they'd be in the pitch black darkness swallowing our bedroom whole. Fuck, I want to see her, I fucking need to see her one last time before I leave for the night.

Instead, I've been dead set on cataloguing the way her skin tastes under my lips for the past hour or so. Taking what I can get and appreciating every second of it. Her tiny body is exhausted from me fucking her earlier, nestled into my side as her every breath comes out evenly, carrying a peacefulness that somehow rubs off on me, calming the racing of my heart just a little. My arm reaches backward and blindly grabs my phone off the nightstand.

The time on the screen makes me realize that I'm drowning in guilt. A bottomless sea of it. I fucking despite what I'm about to do; leave her without any kind of notice, do all that I'm about to do behind her back and then come home and pretend as if I were here the entire night, right by her side. Though it's for the best, I keep trying to convince myself. She's been through enough as it is, and it's no fucking secret that I'm dreading for her to find out that I'll be colouring my hands red.

Again.

That's why I'm trying to keep it under wraps for the longest time possible. My sweet girl will be fucking heartbroken when the identity of the man who wanted her dead surfaces, a man she's trusted with her and her family's life since the beginning of it.

It isn't lost on me that Ry yet has to come to terms with everything her brothers and I do. I can see it every time I tell her that I'll be gone for the night, but this... this isn't the same thing. This all comes back to her, and knowing Avery the way I do, I can tell that she'll feel responsible for what's about to play out on our behalf. A responsibility that definitely isn't her's to take. 

She'll give forgiveness to those unworthy of it like always.

"I love it when you do that." Unconscious mumble takes me by surprise. The hairs on the back of my neck rise as her sleepy voice replaces the complete silence around us and the loud thoughts whirling in my head. It takes me a moment to get back, relax my body around hers and realise what it is she's talking about.

I hum lowly against her temple, "you do?" Lips kiss the crown of her head a second time, relishing into the feeling as much as I can. My girl throws a leg over both of mine, clutching onto me like a fucking monkey, the way she said she would. I love it. Could actually stay like this for the rest of my fucking life.

Usually I'm the one crushing her under the weight of my entire body, so this is new, a good new but not as good of a good as the one where she's turned into my personal mattress.

"Mhmm," The low, agreeing hum of her breath slaps against my skin, the sensation affirmative. "Almost as much as I love you... but I love you more so I love you kissing me a little less than I love you." Avery explains as simply as she can manage through her sleep hazed fog, words sotto. Impatient sigh of annoyance follows, "what I mean is that I love you."

A small smile cracks on my face, her words expanding my heart and tying around the beating muscle like an invisible rope, overwhelmingly compact. She's put all of her trust in me and I'm about to give her a reason to take it back, wrongfully so, but take it back nonetheless. "I love you, too, baby. More than anything."

"Really?" She peers one eye open, squinting at me doubtfully and trying too damn hard and failing even harder at hiding that smile of hers.

I give a long nod, "you doubt that?" I don't know what I'm doing, steering up conversation like this. Everything we're telling each other right now, the little things like the brush of her thumb over my naked chest, makes it so much harder for me to leave her, even if it only is for the few hours of early morning.

"Mmm, no, not really I just really like hearing you say that." Her voice takes on a shyer note toward the end. The jet black darkness only allows me to imagine the blush coating her face like a layer of dried color, it doesn't rob on my smirk in the slightest. "Can you kiss me like that again?" She questions lowly, pressing her cheek into my skin and tightening her arm around my mid-section. I hope a fuckton lot that she can't hear the accelerated thump of my heart, a combination of adoration and dread for the present and the future.

My next move couldn't be other than the one of her request. My lips fall atop her delicate skin, press into the soft texture and part from her cheek ever so slightly before repeating the process over and over again, all over her gorgeous face and neck.

I want to do this everyday for the rest of my fucking life. Could have easily kept it up if it weren't for the incoming messages, one after the other, demanding my presence in a little less than an ideal period of time.

Daring decision to slowly untangle myself from my girl, lands me in our closet, dressed in a black three-piece suit, with two handguns tucked into the waistband of my pants a few minutes later. Fingers lace through my hair, brushing out in an effortless attempt at making it look decent in any way.

I contemplate on whether to kiss her again or just leave, the latter appears more appealing but the former is the safer out of the two.

The decision is made for me, when rustling sheets glue me in my tracks. I watch wide-eyed at the silhouette of my tiny girl, dressed in my shirt only, slowly sit up, thick comforter draped over her shoulders consuming her, kind of making her look like a burrito. Fucking cute, mine, and confused.

"What are you doing?" Fist smooching her eye, Ry switches the bedside lamp on, a warm glow seeping throughout. The intensity of her unbreakable gaze studies me, from my head, to my toes, capturing the way expensive, black, designer fabric wraps around my figure, clings to my thighs and biceps. I'd find it in me to make some inappropriate remark, but the way her eyes narrow dangerously, keep my tongue tied.

Swallowing hard, "nothing, my love. Go back to sleep, I'll be back in the morning."

My answer definitely is not enough, and I'm aware. "Aiden," Ry presses, slowly inching toward the edge. She's been taking up on my habits and it's questionable whether I'm okay with it.

I save her the action of standing up by kneeling in front of the bed, hand reaching to cup her face. With an ounce of hesitation, I give her the only answer I can offer, a small piece of what I'll be doing. "I have some things to take care of at the warehouse, I promise I'll be back in the morning, so don't wait up for me."

Rosy lips purse, thoughtful expression holding a tiny piece of sadness. It's not hard to tell that the amount of information in my answer or rather the lack of it doesn't satisfy her, meaning this conversation is merely terminated for now. "Are you going to kill someone?"

Tongue pokes the inside of my cheek as I debate on what to tell her. I fucking hate lying, I've never lied to Avery, and I have no intension to ever do so, fucking ever, so what follows, couldn't be anything far from the truth. "No." I give my head a dismissive shake, "I'm not, I promise."

The dainty tips of her fingers trail over my knuckles, softly caressing my hand on her face. I can tell this conversation isn't done yet. She has questions, and it's time I give her answers.

"Will you be safe?" It's been a regular question since my incident, a query that demands an honest answer - not one that sugarcoats reality- and helps cure the anxiety I know keeps eating her alive each time I'm forced to leave like this, some times more than others, depending on the course my responsive words will take.

"As safe as I can be." I peck the inside of her free palm, earning the mildly satisfied curl of her mouth, a gentle smile that lights my world even in the darkest of times. "I'll be back for morning cuddles and breakfast. Promise."

Dulcet sound of giggles responds, "just come back." Ry pierces me with her gaze. "I love you, A, please be careful." Whispering honeyed words, she sears our mouths in a scarring kiss that seems to be my only grasp of sanity two hours later.

Chest rises and falls. Rage, burning and lethal streams through my every blood cell, turning my vision red and taking me half a step closer to an explosion of fucking madness. The weak excuse of a man in front of me cowers in fear as my fist slams down on his companion's hanging jaw for the uncountable time.

The same man who betrayed The Marchettis and attempted to kill my woman for revenge under the orders of Vani Bellincioni.

Unlike him, Arsenio won't be dying tonight.

"You see, Danny..." I slip away from the half responsive man, wiping away the smears of his blood staining my skin on the cloth  Hunter chucks at me. "I don't like when people mess with my girl." My voice is calm, holding a tinge of amusement when I round his trembling body.

"Please," The former head of security gasps, eyes lowered to the floor, head shaking from side to side, as if he's trying to prevent what's about to happen to him. The example of Jason falling dead by my bullet a few weeks ago was more than likely enough to tell him that there's no exit from what he's brought upon himself.

I'd been pissed the fuck off that we had to delay Jason's death for so long, but he made himself useful toward the end. Alongside a half-breathing Arsenio, of course.

"Please, I didn't mean to." Danny begs again, mouth bloody and gaping holes teeth used to fill showing. "Please, I have kids-" His words fade into a cry of raw pain as I drag the stock of my gun through the infected, seventy-two hour old wound on his thigh. Thick blood oozes over my fingers and the rotten stench of his flesh almost makes me gag, but I continue. Harder. Pleased with his afflicted expression and pointless struggles.

"I didn't ask what you've got." I throw the gun to the concrete floor, the thud echoing around the room. I'll have to burn the damn thing once I'm finished with him.

Leisure steps take me to the rustic table set with tools. Grabbing hold of the plier, I examine the tool in my hand before wiggling it at Xavier, who puffs out a cloud of white smoke and smirks at me.

Hunter shakes his head with a smile and motions for me to keep going. I roll my eyes.

Metallic jaws, ready to cut through flesh and leave paths of blood behind them, close around the shell of his ear, my fingers applying just the right amount of threatening pressure. I notice him freeze.

"Tell me where they are, Danny." It wouldn't be hard taking down Bellincioni and his family; you kill the boss and destruction strikes under his  throne with no heir to take over next. I lean down beside him and my fist presses down on the handles almost immediately. Dead lump of flesh plummets to the concrete by my feet and a sickening amount of blood gushes down the side of his face, perfectly combined with his screams.

Rounding him, I crouch down by his other side, the pliers tightening around his other ear. Although, this time, I don't let them cut through. Not yet anyway. It gives him a false sense of hope that I find entertaining.

Danny tried taking me away from Avery, targeted her, and shot me instead,  so the possibilities of me showing any mercy toward him and his body parts are as small as the ones of him getting out of here alive; nonexistent.

"Speak up."

His wide chest rises and falls with every quivering inhale. "I can't, I-" words die down when the pressure slices enough to draw blood. A pathetic sob flies past his trembling lips. "Bellincioni, he wanted me to kill the girl or other wise, he'd... he'd kill mine." Danny stutters the same excuse he's been giving us for weeks and lets his head fall forward. Probably because of the shame weighing him down.

"Quit repeating yourself. It's annoying me." I say, keeping my voice monotonous.

"The warehouse in Staten Island." He admits after a few seconds of silence. "I think that's where he is at least. Vani might as well be in Italy for all I know."

"Wasn't so hard was it?" I whisper, pulling the pliers away. His eyes widen briefly in shock and his shoulders slump down in relief. It lasts until the scorching fire blows through the blowtorch in my hand, ghosting over the one ear he's got left, and burning the dirty skin despite his pointless struggles.

"Damn," I hear someone whisper. Burnt skin mixes with blood and open wounds, churning my stomach a little. This is not pretty.

Turning the blow torch off, I allow the pliers to bite down again. His loud screams ring pleasantly in my ear and I fight off the sadistic smirk inching up my lips. "Wanna do the honours?" Xavier nods toward the handgun situated in the middle of the wooden table when I reach them.

My answer is instant and final. Nothing to think about. Nothing to consider but the promise I made Ry. "I'll pass."

Dark eyebrow nearly skids his hairline in surprise, ready to respond, the bound man feet away from us speaks for the last time. "Vani gets what he wants... the girl? He will get her."

And that fuelled what hadn't been quenched all over again.

The time on my screen tells me it's six in the morning. This is the second time I've woken up in the past three hours. And for some unexplainable reason, my chest feels heavy as I find the space next to me empty and cold. Again.

At this point, my tiredness has worn off, and instead has been draped over by the thick impatience for him to come home.

It's not the first time Aiden's left like this since I moved in and it most certainly won't be the last. I've come to accept that. As well as the fact that I won't always know where he is; it comes with the life we lead. But the way he tried to sneak out on me a few hours ago, was something new. Almost as if he didn't want me to find out about it. Huffing out a breath, I clutch his pillow tighter to my chest and impassively stare at the black curtains he'd stood in front of earlier. Scent of aftershave and fresh, manly cologne of sandalwood and citrus lingers on the pillowcase heavily.

The worst part? I know that his outing at three a.m. had something to do with me.

My heart jumps at the sound of heavy footsteps climbing the staircase. By the click of his shoes, I can tell it's Aiden. A sudden wave of nervousness vibrates through me as I sit up, back against the headboard and legs crossed beneath the sheets.

The door opens. My breath catches somewhere between my lungs and throat, captured inside a tight bubble I can't seem able to pop. Despite the black of his suit, darker stains, I can only assume to be blood, stain the front of the elegant fabric.

"Is that yours?" The anxious question is out of my mouth as soon as his emeralds melt against mine. The tension in his shoulders defuses a little and he sighs, walking further into the room.

"No, baby." Aiden assures, strolling right past the bed. I watch wordlessly as he enters the bathroom, wait silently for him to get out of the shower and throw on some sweatpants.

The mattress dips under his heavy body beside me, but he doesn't lie down. With his bare, muscled back facing me, his head drops forward, supported by his elbows on his spread knees. Tattoos paint down moisture skin, and hair falls down his forehead in wet, black waves. A tinge of ignorance hits me right in the chest. He wants to avoid me asking the only question he and my brothers refuse to answer. Their sole pretext? To protect my feelings from getting hurt.

Kneeling, I move toward him. Arms wrap around his waist and I press my cheek between his shoulder blades. Skin is heated under my pecks up his back. Breath tranquil. I swear this man is like a permanently heated heating pad. "Are you okay?"

Aiden lays his hand over both of mine. Long fingers lace between smaller ones. Action of adoration. "Yeah." Twisting slowly he stares at me with a look of both mischief and apprehension over his shoulder. "I just know what you're going to ask."

I roll my eyes at the amusement tipping his full lips upward, hinting playfulness. Of course he does, so I prove him correct by asking in a small, cautious voice. "Was it the guy's who shot you? The blood, I mean."

He drags me in front of him, settling my butt on his lap. I refuse to regard the tingles spreading between my thighs at the feel of his large, muscled ones under me. With downcast eyes, Aiden twists a strand of my brown hair around his forefinger, following the way it folds and falls with his gaze. "Yes, but I'm not telling you who he is."

"I have a right to know. You guys can't protect me from everything. That's why you tried going off like that earlier isn't it? To avoid this conversation." Eyes the shade of the most breathtaking green smile innocently up at me, claiming my assumption right. "That's not how it works, A."  I sigh, cupping his cheeks between my hands.

Strong arms wrap around me and pull me closer, hugging me in apology. "I know, my love. And I'm really sorry about it, it was stupid to even think of, but I'm still straight about not telling you, Avery." Use of my first name plummets like a brick of defeat overtop of me.

"I'm not fragile. I won't break if I get hurt."

His lips trace the side of my neck in a murmur of finalisation, "No, you're not. You're the strongest person I know, but I'm not letting you get hurt again."

Sighing, I tilt my head to the side, spreading wide for him, granting access. Tongue strokes out, caressing a burning path over my pulse point. I gasp when he sucks the delicate skin into his mouth, marking, claiming, owning.

"Aiden," I breath. Pull away. Hands cradle his face as I look at him pleadingly, needing to know this one thing. I'd blame it on curiosity, but I know it runs deeper than that. I don't want my Aiden to throw away the most precious parts of his soul at people that are more than unworthy of anything that he is.

And aside from that, this terrifyingly gorgeous man in front of me doesn't deserve to color his hands in Arsenio's blood, no matter of what he's done.

"Is Arsenio dead?" His eyes darken at the mention of the name, body tensing beneath mine and jaw clenches hard as steel below my palms. "Did you kill him?"

"Why?" He spits immediately. I can feel, see the displeasure boiling hot within him. The hatred, he holds for that man, the distaste. "Why does it matter if he's dead or not?"

I shake my head. Teeth sawing the inner side of my lips between them. "It doesn't, I just don't think it's worth killing him. He doesn't deserve to die, A, not by taking a part of you with him at the same time."

Sharp features soften as he contemplates my words. Deep baritone keeps the rough edge locked as the words roll of his tongue confidently. "He isn't." Aiden grits through, "I let Xavier handle him and that's as far as I know. Are we done with this conversation now, or is there more?" The demand of termination is masked by his query.

"That's all." I shrug roguishly, tugging him into me, just as done with the topic as he is.

"Good." The low rasp vibrates low in my belly, lighting a spark of roaring arousal. My big eyes never leave his face as I sink to my knees. Trembling hands fumble with the band of his boxer briefs, eager to take him out. Aiden's sink into my hair viciously hard, and take us into hours of loving oblivion.

......

Warm rays of the late afternoon sunlight wash through the enormous glass windows making up eighty percent of the penthouse, bathe the kitchen in a naturally golden light and cast a rich shadow over Aiden's smooth olive-skin, convincing me that the man I call mine has been sculpted by a Greek God's hand.

"What are you grinning about?" Said Greek God sculpture asks from the other side of the kitchen island with a smirk. The black apron ties around his neck and waist, making my view a hundred times better whenever he turns around to show off that muscled butt under a thin layer of white boxer briefs.

To be completely honest, Aiden came down with a suit on after our eight a.m. nap earlier, but I stripped him for the second time in a day. To bake. My legs wouldn't agree to take more even if I'd begged them to after the intensity of this morning.

"You. Hot." I say under my breath, causing him to chuckle that deep, gravelly sound I love so much. Leaning against my arms, I stretch across the counter, keen for a closer look. Big, veiny muscles bulge as he mixes the mascarpone cheese cream in a large bowl. "Where did you learn how to bake Tiramisu, anyway?"

"My mamma." Aiden shrugs nonchalantly. He looks up from the task at hand. "I've been behind every dessert you've eaten as a kid, baby." He winks playfully and I have to bite the inside of my cheek to keep my smile from exploding into a full-blown grin at his admission. "Wanna dip the lady fingers in the espresso for me?"

I nod eagerly at his request, quick to round the kitchen island and stand by his side. Together, we get into work, effectively sneaking in a touch or two. If anyone ever told me that I'd be baking with my brothers' best friend in our own place nine months ago, I'd never believed them.

Large palm curls over my hip when he finishes, plumb lips skimming the back of my neck as I place the last cookie inside the dish, making me shiver. "Done." The word comes out breathy, my insides sparkling with bubbly giddiness.

Aiden's about to respond but his phone buzzes on top of the marble, interrupting him. My teeth clamp down on the inside of my cheek, anxiety leisurely seeping into me. I can tell by the expression on his face that he's been expectant of the call. It's obviously work, and the possibilities of him having to leave, heighten. "I need to take this, my love. You finish up." Melting an apologetic peck against the skin of my temple, he hurries out the glass doors, onto the terrace overlooking the city before I have a chance to respond.

Distracting me from pouring the cream over the cookies, is the clear view I have of him through the huge windows. His expression morphs cold, jaw clenching and teeth gritting as he speaks to whomever is on the other line. More like argues. His glaring emeralds cut to me unexpectantly, making me jump and spill some of the ice-cold cream onto my wrist. Straight away, his eyes soften. I notice him sighing heavily through my lashes.

As if a way to escape what I know is to come, I revert all of my undivided attention to the half-finished dessert. Savouring the tense peacefulness, for as long as it'll last. He's going to meet up with someone. And it won't be your normal consultation. It never is.

"Ry..."

The way my name rolls off his tongue when reenters the open kitchen, confirms my earlier presumption. It's laced with guilt. "I have some things to take care of but I'll-"

I cut Aiden off. "I know, A. It's fine."

He closes the painful distance between us by pulling me into his chest. Hand cradles my head against him, his free arm embracing itself around my waist. Butterflies conquer the small amount of space in my stomach, previously occupied by an unyielding knot of dread. "It's not fine. I promise, I'm putting an end on this tonight." Surprised at the last part, I look up at him. I don't know what he means by that, so I can't put a finger on whether it'll bring good or bad. Before I have a chance to voice my query, he continues. "I need you to get ready, I'm dropping you off at Xav's."

"What? Why? I'll be just fine here." I argue.

"Avery, please. I need to assure that you're safe. I'll make it up to you when I get back, baby. Please." Aiden begs softly. We both know that there isn't room for me to deny him, but that doesn't keep me from contemplating his demand. To be fair, having company will be comforting. The idea of staying by myself with the three bodyguards Aiden's hired for my protection, right outside the door loses its momentary appeal with each second. I've missed hanging out with my brothers, so there's no doubt spending time with them will limit my mind from thinking about Aiden's whereabouts, and keep me from driving myself insane.

"Okay." I agree softly.

Tension clears, I can tell by the slight fall of his chest. He wasn't expecting me to give in that easily, not that I blame him. I just don't want to spend the last few moments I get of him arguing over something I know he'll convince me of in the end. So better give in now.

Fingers clasp my ear, lips closing softly over mine. The hand he keeps on my waist trails downward, plastering itself over the curve of my butt, where he gives it a tight, praising squeeze. I melt against him. My muscles liquify, heart softening within his grasp, entirely at his mercy. Aiden deepens our kiss by shoving his warm tongue inside my mouth for a brief instance before pulling away.

"Why don't you get ready, I'll clean up in here." He suggests, brushing a strand of my hair away from my face.

I look down at my yellow sundress, then back at him, smiling lazily, a blush blooming on my cheeks at the way he keeps looking into my eyes. "You're the one still in underwear, babe."

"You'd be lying if you told me that you're not entirely mesmerised by me in my underwear."
Letting go of me, he lands a smack on my as his pants seductively up his thighs.

"I never lie to you." I nearly pout at the glorious sight of his bulge disappearing behind the black fabric.

......

I perch myself down on the stool facing Summer. The plastic food container with Aiden's tiramisu in it sits open in front of us, ready to be taken advantage of as we ready our forks to cut into it. The entire ride here, I couldn't keep my leg from twitching with fear under Aiden's hold. Both of my arms where locked around his arm and I'm quite surprised I didn't cut his blood circulation off by how tight I held him.

Despite my belly feeling like a pit of heavy concrete, I shove more of the delicious dessert down my throat in an attempt to eat my raw anxiety away. The second forkful almost makes me choke, but I overcome the slight gag by staring into my best friend's concerned eyes almost challengingly.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah. Of course I am, why?" I raise an eyebrow when I swallow, fork cutting into another piece.

"Are you trying to kill yourself off with tiramisu then? I don't think Aiden would appreciate that." She tilts her head, red strands following the movement like a wave.

I smile a little at her lighthearted way of easing the worries out of me, and straighten my sulking position. "He wouldn't," I mumble. "I'm just worried about tonight. Aiden said something about ending things, I just have a bad feeling ." I quote Aiden's words.

Summer sighs, "look, your brother doesn't talk to me about those things, but I'm sure they know what they're doing. I know it's scary, especially after what happened that night, but I'm here. We can play scared housewives together. Aside from that, you can look at it as a family activity. All four of them are going." Her nonchalant shrug tugs a genuine chuckle out of me.

A moment of silence passes between us. I contemplate my next words, even go as far as repeating them twice in my head. "How's my brother treating you?"

Her eyes glimmer at the mention of Xavier. Hearts practically shape her pupils. It makes me happy, knowing things have gone better between them. "He treats me really good, Aves. We've worked through things, we're in a really good place."

Hand brushes down her shoulder, a smile so big, it threatens to split my face in half, spreads across my lips. "I'm happy for you."

Zach strolls inside, eyeing the dessert in front of us warily. Parker's jaw falls off its hinges behind him. My smile drops, Summer narrows her eyes threateningly at them and the silence replaces a trigger ready to release howls. My best friend and future sister-in-law casts me a wary glance. I can't believe I just thought of her like that, somehow, a warm feeling spreads through me. I don't get the chance to dwell much on the thought. The sound of my swallow pulls said trigger and soon, both of them are bent over, stomachs clutched at whatever they find hilarious.

Patiently waiting for them to finish, I take another bite. My boyfriend's hands can work skillfully in more ways than one. This dessert is proof.

"Avery baked!" Zach gasps at the same time Summer takes a bite, causing his eyes to widen.

Parker sobers up, "Summer..." he breathes.

"You're going to get food poisoned! Didn't you hear me? I said Avery baked it!" Zach gestures frantically at me, smirk ghosting his features. I roll my eyes and stand up, throwing my fork into the sink.

"I doubt that. But I can guarantee that the bite won't stay in my stomach much longer if I keep seeing your face for another second." Summer's distant reply makes me chuckle on my way out.

Their relationship has been that way for as long as I can remember, and I don't think their constant nagging will ever grow old. My feet take me to the staircase, cold marble makes me shiver as I step on it with bare feet. Rushing up the freezing steps to escape as much of the cold as I can, I enter my bedroom. It looks the exact same as it did when I left it a few weeks ago. Books I brought home are missing from my bookshelf and the white covers make up the queen-sized bed.

What takes me by surprise is the presence of the man I call mine. Aiden stands in front of the window, back turned to me as he slips his phone into the pocket of his pants, seeming to just have finished a call. The rising moon and navy-blue sky cast shadows over his silhouette, illustrating him into something violent, dangerous. Tattoos wrapping around his arms and neck don't give any justice.

My heart races a little faster, like it always does at the sight of him. Black suit hugs his muscled body and makes me regret not giving into the temptation of it in the kitchen this morning. At the sound of my padding, he turns around. Possessively, arms wrap around my small  frame, head falling on my shoulder. My lips kiss the hot skin behind his ear.

My Aiden is anything but dangerous.

At least when he's with me.

Surprise dies along with excitement when the flicker of worry sparks to life. Again. Hesitance washes over my thoughts and ties my tongue inside my mouth as my mind debates on whether I should ask what I've been wanting to for the past several hours. "Can you explain what you're doing tonight. Like details." I add quietly.

Back stiffens under my hand. Aiden pulls away, enough to study me. Soft peck on the tip of my nose signifies his agreement. Quietly, my boyfriend takes my hand and leads us over to my bed. I stand between his legs as his palms mold the backs of my thighs to a perfect fit. "We're meeting up with Bellincioni at his warehouse. If we can't negotiate something, we end him." He shrugs as if it were obvious.

I don't say anything, my brain processing what I just heard. Bellincioni is the man who killed my mother. He ordered for those men to attack me. My heart drops with the realisation. I suddenly feel stupid that I didn't connect the dots earlier. He was the one who shot Aiden. "You want to meet up with the man who shot you?" I nearly shout.

"No," he utters the Italian word with a shake of his head. "It wasn't him. He gave out orders. He's too much of a pussy to do the job himself." He avoids my question, giving me a slight peek into the answer of another.

If Bellincioni gave out orders, who did he give them to? "He wants you dead." I clarify instead.

"It's not me he wants dead, baby. If that were the case, I'd let him be." My breath seizes in my lungs, the meaning of his declaration tugging at my poor heart. "Something bad is about to happen to you, I prevent it no matter what." The words he'd told me in the hospital echo in my mind. Panic tingles my spine, adrenaline lighting my insides on fire.

"And you need to be the one meeting up with him? Send someone else, A." I beg shakily. The pad of his thumb wipes at my cheek bone, featherily brushing to my chin and tipping it downwards.

I can see him falter at the sight of my glimmery eyes, but his resolve doesn't break. Humourless smile twitches his plumb lips to the side. "I can't do that. I'm not sending my men to handle something I need to do myself just to be safe. I need you to trust me on this. I'd never let you down." The finality in his voice is clear. This is a matter of honour, but it doesn't make me feel better.

I open my mouth to argue further in an act of raw desperation but Aiden's claim on my lips keeps me from doing so. Texture so soft, the backs of my eyes burn with unshed tears. I squeeze my lids shut harder. A tap of knuckles against my open bedroom door breaks us apart. "Fuck's sake, De Rossi," Xavier stands in the doorway, looking uncomfortable as ever.

I straighten up, now noticing I've partly fallen on top of Aiden's half slumped figure. Wildfire on my face, I clear my throat. "Hey, Xavy."

Rolling his eyes, a barely-there smile takes up my oldest brother's usually grumpy face. I accept his non-existent greeting, giving up on my attempts of convincing Aiden to stay here. "You ready?" Xavier asks him.

Standing to his full height, he shoots my brother a curt nod. Xav takes that as a sign, turning on his heel and closing the door behind him after uttering some empty threat about Aiden losing his arms if touching me. I would've found it amusing if it weren't for my pulse pounding against every existing pulse-point in my body.

Aiden turns to me. Arm locking around my waist and palm squeezing the soft flesh of my hips. "Will you be fine," he demands more than he questions, clearing a little of my nerves.

"I'll be fine, A." I tell him and myself, in an attempt of reassurance. I'm not sure my words are true though. Aiden doesn't overlook the miniscule amount of confidence laced between them, the limited amount of time he's got left with me not permitting his further encouragement.

Instead, he brushes hair away from my face and tugs me close to him, kissing me one last time. "I love you." he tells me.

The thirty-minute ride to Bellincioni's territory has been soundless thus far, save of the distinct sound of the rumbling engine below us. Xav and I haven't paid each other any attention since we entered the car, which I was totally fucking comfortable with. It left me to think of the conversation I'd had with my girl this morning. Her question about Arsenio's current breathing status peaked my own curiosity later on. He betrayed me and his boss. Betrayals like that aren't taken lightly; the price you pay is the same no matter what you stab into a capo's back, so I can tell it might've shocked them when I didn't take the chance I was given. But I don't break promises, especially ones I've made to Ry.

I turn to Xavier for the first time. Things are back to normal between us. Except for the empty threats he throws at me at least fucking once every hour. It's kind of tiring. But I'll accept it. It isn't lost on me that the void in his threats quickly won't be as empty anymore if I hurt my girl; his sister. Little sister.

Though, I take them lightly, seeing as I'd rather fucking kill myself than ever hurt Avery in any way.

Finally, I ask. "What happened to Arsenio?"

Patently, he's been as lost in his head as I've been. Clearing his throat to regain focus of reality, he casts me a glance. "Huh?"

"Arsenio. Is he dead?" I repeat.

He shakes his head. "Shot him as soon as you left."

Nodding my silent approval, I turn to watch out the window. Silence doesn't last long, I turn to Xavier when he calls my name, equal parts shocked and amused by what he says next.

"You're good for my sister." He admits, throwing me a burning glare anyway, intensifying the smirk curling my expression. "But you're fucking dead if-"

"-if I hurt her. Yeah, yeah I know." I cut him off, amused by how his expression darkens with annoyance and devious humor.

"Bene." He mutters.

"It took you long enough to realise it," parroting his way, a chuckle rumbles in my chest at the pissed off mask he wears.

"Shut the fuck up."

......

The car comes to a halt not long after, the wheels rolling to a stop by the entrance of the lot. Nodding at Xavier, I pull on my door handle. Gravel crunches beneath my Louboutins as I step out of the coal-colored Suburban. Air nips sharply at my skin through the Italian fabric of my suit. Slam of my door, ricochets off the rustic container walls, the sound of the door falling shut shut with a single flick of my wrist, the dead giveaway of our arrival.

With a stoic expression, I scan my surroundings. Steel boxes litter on either side of the makeshift driveway leading to three, old warehouses in front of us. At first glance, the open, industrial plan looks abounded. But we know better. The guy Xavier planted in Bellincioni's famiglia, made sure we did.

More doors slam shut, and soon Tristan and Hunter stand behind us, our backup maintaining their positions by the vehicles as we step forward. Old flood lights turn on as they catch movement, an old man, Vincenzo-Vani-Bellincioni, stands in the middle, four men in black attire beside him. Automatics in each of their hands. The bald man steps forward, arms wide open as he spits out a greeting with faux enthusiasm. "Xavier! I've never had the pleasure, how can I help you?" He asks, the peeks at me, wrinkles intensifying by his sickening smile. "Such an unusual sight; capo and future capo together." He coos mockingly.

Rage bubbles under my skin, finger twitching around the gun in my hand. I never promised to not kill anyone today, the promise I made Ry ended when I got home this morning. "Cut the shit, are you in on the deal or not?" Xavier spits in Italian, getting straight to the point.

Yesterday, Xavier made a proposal on our behalf; we pay him a good amount to get him off my girl's back. This entire vendetta started because the man demanded money he never got. But by the looks of it, this won't be as simple.

A tall guy by his side, scrutinizes me. It pisses me the fuck off. Pointing a finger, he shouts over, "aren't you the guy who dips his cock in that who-"

Bullet released by me pierces through the skin between his eyes. The remaining three guns point at me, us. Eager to let loose an array of bullets at us. Guns cock from behind me. We're covered, the automatics in their hands don't ensure our safety though.

"That was a very trusted man of mine." Vani tsks, then looks up from the body at his feet, meeting my eyes.

Avery flashes through my mind. I observe. Everything happens slowly, or maybe, faster than I can proceed.

Barrels let go a hail of bullets at us.

Everyone's quick to take cover behind steel walls and doors, but Xavier just stands exposed and my mind's a blur as I drag him down behind me, blindly pulling the trigger and hearing bodies collapse as the sound of bullets slowly dies down.

The same haze it is when only half of us return home, greeted by the girls at the door. Slowmotion is how the image of Avery breaking apart in my arms replays, Summer's legs giving out as she sobs when realization hits her harder than it should.

Soft mattress and white, silky sheets press into my chest and stomach as I lay on all fours with my ass in the air. Aiden thrusts hard into me from behind, getting slopier, and I can tell he's close. My stomach clenches with the thrilling electricity of a release. Every nerve-ending in my body on fire, tingling.

So close, I'm so, so close.

My eyes squeeze shut and my teeth sink down on the cloud-like pillow. My man pulls on my hair, "let me hear you, baby." Aiden rasps against my ear, the low hum of his deep rumble makes my insides tingle. Falling back on his heels, he presses my back flat against his chest.

There's no part of our bodies that isn't touching. And despite our chests not being pressed flush, or our faces brushing, this feel more intimate than any missionary we've ever shared. 

Untold words, we're unaware of ourselves have been shared. This is different. Overwhelming. Deeper than anything we've ever done. My pussy closes around his hardening cock tightly, the angle allowing him to delve deeper into me. "You feel so fucking good, baby." Aiden praises, fingers pushing down on my pulsating clit.

Circling, nudging, pinching.

I moan, a near scream.

"Fuck," he curses, his free hand pressing down on the sides of my neck, chocking me. Tongue swipes against mine, kiss messy. "Come with me, Ry. Be a good girl and come all over my cock like I taught you."

Tatted index and thumb pinch my diamond-hard nipple, sending me over the edge. A streak of lighting sent straight to the tight pit in the lowest part of my belly. Body convulses around his with the fifth award-winning orgasm of the night, all the while the all-consuming feeling of love melts my insides as Aiden's own release spurts against the insides of my muscles.

"Aiden..." I cry, lids squeezed shut.

"Yeah, baby. Just like that." He growls into my mouth. His free arm drapes around my waist, forcing me to bounce on him as we ride out our orgasms. Lips gape over each other. My muscles are buzzing with numbness, and if it weren't for A holding me up like he is, I'm sure that I'd be one with the bed. "Ti amo." Aiden whispers, pressing a fierce kiss to my mouth before pulling out.

I miss him instantaneously. "I love you, more." I heave, falling face first on the mattress. Huge man behind me chuckles roughly before doing the same. Aiden lays on his back beside me, watching me with a small smile. He's so cute. And mine. Tracing the back of his fingers down my spine, he stretches enough to give me a kiss on the forehead. It does all kinds of things to my stomach.

Silently, my eyes take in how he carefully cleans our folds off my body. Expecting him to fall back into bed with me, I'm shocked when I see him pull his boxers back on and walk out the balcony doors.

White moonlight illuminates his large figure. The tattoos on his body blending perfectly with the night's dark shadows. As the sound of waves crashing against the sore, and the scent of sex mixes with the salty ocean breeze, I think about how things have changed the past two years.

For one, I don't need bodyguards positioned outside our place when I'm alone. Aiden kept his word and put an end on the threat of Bellincioni. Now his body is flowing somewhere in New York's waters. Itcost my big brother a scar on the shoulder, though. It's not the first one, anyway, is what he told Summer and I when we visited him in the hospital that same night.

Since then, a lot of things happened. Summer and I graduated high school, as did Zach last year. Now the two of us join NYU together, studying fashion management and business. My oldest little brother made the decision to join our... family business, and is slowly getting the hang of things.

I hate it. But it's not like I have a say in the matter.

Thin, white curtains blowing into the room, bring me back to reality. Aiden stands with his back to me, fiddling with something in front of him. He's so hot. I'll never get enough of his tight butt. Giggling at my veracious thought, I stand from the bed, slipping his black t-shirt over my bare body.

Hearing me behind him, he turns around, holding his big arms out wide. I step into them, grateful of the heat radiating off his bare skin, warming me as the chilly Mediterranean air bites at my thinly covered body, puckering it with goosebumps.

Aiden cups my face, looking serious.

"What?" I question slowly, cautious of the reason behind his expression. Do I have something on my face?

Sharp edges are given an intimidating edge under the black sky, though I could tell that his nerves are slightly on high alert from a mile away.

"Ry," Aiden begins, "I'm not good at this, well it's not like I've done it before to know that, it's just an assumption." He shrugs, takes a deep breath and softens his hold on my face. Gentle and possessive. "I've nearly known you  my whole life, and to be honest, never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that we'd end up here three years ago."

My heart thrashes violently inside my chest, hopeful of where this is going. My teeth clamp down on my bottom lip so hard, I'm afraid I'll draw blood as I attempt to hold back the giant grin waiting to be released. Aiden chuckles that deep, gravelly sound at my expression. "But I love you. I have for a long fucking time, and I've known you've been it for me ever since." He grins down at me, "this is going to turn cheesier than I thought but fuck it."

There's no biting back that smile. "You're my forever, Ry. And I want to make it official." He pulls a black velvet box open, but the only thing I can look at is Aiden as he kneels before me, like he has many times in the past, though for entirely different reasons.

I love him. Tears blur my eyes.

"Marry me." He demands.

"Aren't you supposed to ask me?" I tease through my tears.

"No. You don't have a choice. I'm just trying to be a romantic, doesn't mean you can say no."

It's hard to tell if I'm laughing or sobbing. Most likely both. My legs buckle and I collapse in front of him, arms locked around his neck as I press myself as close to my Aiden as I can. "Yes. I'd say yes if you asked me."

"Fuck yes, you would."

THE END

......

A/n

There's an epilogue left, calm down.
I honestly don't know where to begin. I started writing this book nearly two years ago. Yes, two years ago. I've grown with it, and so much have changed since then. For one, the update schedule. Lmao, I don't know whether it's funny but I'm tired so Imma assume it is.

To anyone who has hung on since the beginning, I fucking ADMIRE your patience. And to everyone who's even given this story a chance, the beginning or not, thank you thank you thank you. I'm so grateful, this story would definitely not be where it is right now if it weren't for you and your endless support.

I can't wait for you guys to read the epilogue!

Thanks for reading this chapter, vote and comment if you'd like, love you!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.7M 1.1M 68
Deadly assassins Allegra and Ace have been trying in vain to kill each other for years. With a mutual enemy threatening their mafias, they find thems...