MAD LOVE

By julia_dia

Have you ever encountered mad love? No, not the kind with butterflies in your belly and a sweet thrill, or ev... More

Important information
Book trailer
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Epilogue
Bonus

Chapter 4

420 50 40
By julia_dia

"Is this a joke?" I said after the news nearly left me speechless. It was exactly the right time to pick a fight and to take out my accumulated frustration on someone.

"No, Miss. The cableway there is out of order, so we've arranged a hotel car for you. It's waiting for you at the entrance."

"I'm not going there!" My voice was like a bolt from the blue. "Are there no free rooms at all in the lower part of the resort? It's offseason, for Pete's sake!"

I was about to rant and rave like a raging lunatic. They would not understand my problem! Why do I always have to face the things that I try so hard to avoid?

"What's going on here, Cynthia?" a stranger asked from behind the receptionist, curious at the commotion.

We saw a stately man, dressed in a somewhat formal style. He was tall, with chestnut hair, blue eyes, and masculine features. He was my parents' age, and his appearance hinted that he might be the manager of the entire resort.

"Hello! My name is Ryan Farrell; I am the owner of this resort. How may I help two such beautiful ladies at this late hour?"

What is the owner doing here so late? Does he live here?

"We got kicked out of our room under the most absurd pretext I've ever heard!" I was boiling with rage and about to explode, but my mom kept pulling my hand down, trying to restrain me.

"Ms. and Mrs. Moore, I presume? Yes, I am aware of your situation. I gave direct orders for a better apartment to be provided to you since we've caused you such inconvenience. Is something else the matter?"

"There's nothing for us to do up there!" I shrieked. I looked intently at Mr. Farrell and got an uncomfortable feeling I could not understand.

Something is wrong here...

"Darling, please calm down. Why don't you look at the bright side?" Mom said as she tried to smooth things over. "Can we use the card key to visit the lower part of the resort and then get back up?" she asked him.

"With this card, you can move around the whole resort cableway network. No charge." He looked my mom over once, then turned his gaze on me.

We look alike - two peas in a pod, except for the age difference. Straight, light hair cascaded in waves down to the middle of her back, those beautiful green eyes that I got from her, a slim build hidden underneath a thick tunic, and slender legs. My mom looked quite glamourous, and it did not surprise me that a stranger felt attracted to her.

"Well, excellent! What a great way to pass the time," she said as she looked at me again and hugged my shoulders gently and encouragingly.

"Your key and your documents. Checkout is in five days, on August 17th, before noon. Enjoy your stay with us," the receptionist said hurriedly, before giving us the envelope with everything in it.

The thought that it all had happened for a reason obsessed me. My suspicions became stronger when I saw where our single-story, cozy cottage was located. The Norton's mansion was just two houses away, and I was convinced that it was Mike's doing.

The next morning, a knock on the door interrupted our breakfast, and as unbelievable as it was, the author of my misery was standing on our doorstep.

"Hi," he said, smiling with his hands behind his back.

My eyes opened wide with fear, and I slammed the door in his face. I pressed my forehead to the barrier between us and listened attentively for any sounds from the outside.

Did he come to kidnap me again?

"Is that instead of 'thank you?'" he asked, his voice calm. Perfect self-control. I could learn from him.

"How would you know this word? I didn't ask you for anything. Go away!"

I heard his departing footsteps and looked out of the window to make sure that he had gone.

Is it for long?

"Maybe we should give him a chance to make amends? Look how hard he's trying," Mom said. She looked at me with misgiving.

"What chance, Mom?" my voice quivered. "These people treat us as lab rats, whose fate they can decide at a whim. I don't understand what he wants from me! What if he's like..." I stopped myself, realizing that my heart started pounding faster at the memory of him.

"Alana, sweetie, try to move on. I know what you've been through, but you have to learn to give people a chance. Not everyone is like..." she trailed off.

Mom heaved a sigh, having noticed that I was already shaking with fear. My eyes shifted back and forth, and my hands reached back as if trying to find a solid surface to lean on. "Sweetie, calm down, please! I didn't mean to upset you." She came up to me, hugged me, and started stroking my hair as if I were a baby.

I need some fresh air right now...

"Ok, let's get ready. We have a lot of plans for today, but the most important is to make it to the peak! I hear the view from there is stunning!" I said, pulling myself together and endeavoring not to engage in further conversation.

Before I left the room, I heard a knock on the door again. I pumped air into my lungs to unleash a wrathful speech, but then I noticed it was a courier at the doorstep. He handed me an exuberant bouquet of claret red roses, got my signature, and faded from view. There was a card with "Happy birthday, my love!" printed on the inside. I decided someone was joking and dumped the bouquet on the table. The only people that love me are my parents, and my dad had already called today.

When we got to the porch, we found a small gift-wrapped box and a tiny bouquet, most likely plucked from some flowerbed nearby. I would have liked to tear their arms off for doing this, but since it was a gift, I probably would not. I really wanted to take it, but my pride tried its best to get in the way.

"Don't stand on principle," Mom said, taking the box and tossing it in her purse, then she brought the flowers inside. "I'll give it to you in the evening and you'll open it."

"Throw out this rubbish! What if there's a bomb in there?" I shrieked. Mom gave me an icy look, and I realized how utterly ridiculous that sounded.

The rest of the day passed without a hitch. We spent all our time on the hiking trails, enjoying every moment that nature had given us. One thing has always surprised me: the higher are the mountains, the cooler it gets, and yet, the sun still burns your skin.

We used our privilege to the full and tried all the cableways. Endless vegetation covered the ground like a mossy blanket. It delighted the eye and we couldn't stop looking at it. The winters here must be breathtaking! I had not yet appreciated the mountain ski season.

The fresh air did me good, and who needs bed rest when the mountains have such an invigorating effect.

We decided to celebrate at our cottage since the restaurants at the second level of the resort were much too expensive for us. We also didn't venture to go down in fear of missing the cableway back. I went to take a shower, and my mom started cooking.

I dried my hair with a towel and wrapped it around myself; in my absent-mindedness, I had forgotten to bring a fresh change of clothes. Before I left the bathroom, I heard some voices. It sounded like my mom and some man, and after a while, I couldn't hear them talking anymore.

"Mom, who was here?" I asked. I came out in my towel and almost immediately locked eyes with him. "What the hell is he doing here?" I asked my mom in a panic, gripping the fabric as if it was a lifesaver. The anxiety rose inside me, and it threatened to erupt into hysterics.

"I came for you," Mike said, his voice calm but hoarse, scrutinizing every inch of exposed skin. "It seems you didn't even bother to touch the present I had left here in the morning, or you would've noticed the gift had a dinner invitation."

I backed off and into a wall that didn't let me disappear. Breathe in, breathe out...

Brace yourself and answer him, Alana. What's the matter? Cat got your tongue?

"Are you really that bored? Leave me alone. I'm not going anywhere with you. Please, leave," I said tiredly. I pointed at the door, but he didn't move.

Frustrated, I caught my mom's eye and gestured with my head for her to follow me into the next room.

"Honey, I understand your misgivings, but please, hear him out," she said, partially closing the door. She continued: "I'm not saying that you should throw yourself at him, but I think he isn't that bad. I don't know how to explain it, I have a good feeling about him. He made a mistake, but he realized it and tried to help instead of just leaving you there. Give him a chance. He's invited us to a restaurant to celebrate your birthday."

"But I don't want to go anywhere, Mom! What would I talk to him about? We're different, we have nothing in common."

"You'll never know if you don't try. His grandmother will be with us; Mike called her in my presence and set it up."

Thinking about Amanda brought a smile to my face. I would love to see her again, and I would not even care if he will be around.

"By the way, open Mike's gift. I'm really curious to see what it is," mom said, giving me a surreptitious wink and taking the box out of her purse.

The wrapping came away easily, and I almost forgot to breathe. My lips quivered and tears welled up into my eyes: in my hands, I held a pair of new wireless headphones.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 178 24
A story of love and hate and well...multiple disasters..Read on to find out😉 Excerpt: He took me to a dark lane through a passage between two dilapi...
53.5K 1.8K 60
My life's amazing, I have great friends, I have loving parents, and I'm in my senior year of high school. I really couldn't have asked for a better l...
165 35 16
love is not only about caring and moving in a slow pace where breeze hits you ,you feel cold and your partner covers you with his coat....love is a m...
43 10 11
Love. Love is a beautiful emotion. Love can encompass feelings of passion, desire, and romantic connection. Love is a powerful force that can bring...