DEJA VU | max mayfield.

By sansasrose

Jamie Edwards likes running, especially from her problems. Maybe that's why she finds herself on the cheer te... More

summary.
one | Mad Max
two | Trick or Treat Freak
three | The Pollywog
four | Will the Wise
five | Dig Dug
six | The Spy
seven | The Mind Flayer
eight | The Gate
nine | The Snow Ball
ten | The Hamptons
twelve | The Mall Rat

eleven | Suzie, Do You Copy?

1.4K 98 56
By sansasrose

DEJA VU | XI.
"MIKE AND EL ARE IN LOVE!"
(' JEALOUSY, JEALOUSY ')

***

"H-A-W-K-I-N-S WHAT DOES THAT SPELL?" JAMIE POINTS OVER AT MAX who was lying on her bed, a pillow over her face.

"M-I-S-E-R-Y!" Max spells back, her letters muffled by the pillow. Jamie laughs as she skips over to her bed and snatches the pillow off of Max's face. Max looks up at her and Jamie smiles as she looks into blue eyes.

Jamie leans down and kisses Max. Max's hands reach up to cup Jamie's cheeks as their lips move in rhythm with one another. This time it's Jamie who pulls away and looks down at Max. Her eyes are still closed and there's a smile on her lips.

"Still in misery?" Jamie asks.

"Nope, pretty sure I've died and gone to heaven," Max opens one eyelid, "Are you an angel?"

Jamie chuckles and grabs the pillow, smacking it back on Max's face. Max laughs as she rolls over on her stomach, hugging the pillow under her as Jamie heads into her closet and starts looking through her clothes.

"What are you doing?" Max asks.

"Looking for something to wear to the mall," Jamie says.

"Do we have to go to the mall?" Max asks, "We could always stay here and watch a movie. Just you and me."

"And my mom and my dad," Jamie adds, "Do you really want to sit there with them?"

"I happen to love your parents," Max says shrugging her shoulders.

"I happen to love them slightly less than you because I've been dealing with them for the last fourteen years," Jamie responds, "Besides we need to spend time with everyone!"

"Yes," Max says as she rolls back over onto her back, "So Lucas can hit on me not knowing that I have a girlfriend."

Jamie grabs a shirt and inspects it, "Well we've had this conversation do we tell the boys or not? I want to."

"I don't," Max states as she looks over just as Jamie takes off her shirt. She stares at Jamie's toned stomach before politely averting her gaze, eyelids fluttering, "I um I don't want them to – I don't want them to..."

Jamie notices Max's scattered train of thought as she turns off the light, stepping out of her closet, "You don't want them to?"

Max looks at Jamie, her cheeks red, "Forget about it."

"No, I want to hear what you have to say," Jamie says as she sits down on the bed and takes Max's hand, unaware of why she was blushing.

"I just don't want them to make it a big deal," Max says as she looks at Jamie, "I don't want them to treat us like Mike and El. I like our relationship being just that. Ours."

"Okay," Jamie says as she reaches out and threads her finger in a sea of red hair. Max closes her eyes instantly at the feeling of Jamie's fingers in her hair, "We'll keep it between us."

"Are you okay with that?" Max asks.

"Of course," Jamie responds, "Whatever you're comfortable with, I'm comfortable with."

"Except skating," Max replies as she looks at Jamie. The cheerleader lets out a laugh and nods her head.

"Except that."

Max smiles as she sits up, "We should probably head over to the mall."

"Okay," Jamie says as she stands from the bed, "Race you downstairs?"

Max stands from the bed, "That's so immature, we're better than thatt-"

Jamie watches as Max takes off downstairs midsentence and her jaw drops as she chases after Max who was giggling. 

"I win!" Max exclaims

"You cheated!" Jamie yells.

Axel Edwards looks at the two girls, a sandwich in hand, "Where are you two headed?"

"Mall," Jamie answers.

"Fun," Axel says, "Need any cash?"

"I'm good," Jamie answers.

Axel holds his sandwich out to Jamie, "Need a sandwich?"

"Um no," Jamie says as she looks at it. Axel holds the sandwich out to Max, "She doesn't need a sandwich either!"

Jamie grabs Max's arm and drags her toward the front door and Axel watches with a frown as he looks down at his sandwich, "They didn't mean it, buddy. They don't know you're absolutely delicious."

The two of them share a look and both giggle as they grab their bikes and head off toward Starcourt Mall. When they get there, Lucas is tying his bike up on the rack and he's also wearing the shirt Jamie got him from the Hamptons.

"Lucas!" Jamie says as she runs over and embraces him. He seems startled by the hug but relaxes into it when he catches the scent of Jamie's shampoo which smelled nice. Really nice.

"Hi Jamie," Lucas greets as he hugs her back. She steps away from the embrace and Lucas looks over at Max with a shy smile, "Hey."

"Hey," Max says nodding her head as she looks around, "Where are the others?"

"Mike is probably making out with El and Will is-"

"Right here!" Will says as he jogs over to them. Jamie wraps an arm around Lucas's shoulder, the two of them now the same height after Lucas's resounding growth spurt and Jamie just staying in place.

"That's four down," Max says, "One to go."

They wait outside the mall for Mike for what feels like fifteen minutes when they finally see their other friend peddling hard and fast. He jumps off of his bike and parks it beside Jamie's on the rack.

"You're late," Lucas says.

"Sorry!" Mike apologizes.

"Again," Lucas states.

"We're gonna miss the opening," Will says.

"Yeah if you guys keep whining about it. Let's go!" Mike says as he walks toward the mall.

"If you guys keep whining about it," Lucas mimics and Jamie chuckles as she turns him toward the mall and kicks him gently in the butt.

"Let me guess," Lucas says, "You were busy-" He begins making kissing noises and Jamie looks over at Max who gives her a look that all but says I told you so.

"Real mature Lucas," Mike retorts.

"Oh El, I wish we could make out forever, and never hang out with any of our friends," Lucas teases.

"Shut up Lucas," Jamie says with a laugh as she grabs Mike's hand with a smile and twirls herself under it, "Mike and El are in love."

Mike's cheeks flush and Jamie laughs at his red face.

"Lucas you're acting like a child," Max states.

Lucas looks over at Will and grins, "Will finds it funny."

"I do," Will says with a chuckle of his own.

"Yeah it's so funny that I want to spend romantic time with my girlfriend," Mike states.

"You don't have to defend yourself, Mike," Jamie says as she gives Lucas a pointed look, "Some people are more childish than others."

"He has to defend himself slightly," Max says as they make their way toward the escalators, "He considers romantic time being stuck in a cabin with Hopper."

Mike looks over at Max with a frown, "She can't leave! What else am I supposed to do?"

"I don't know, get her a flower or something. You gotta give her more than your lips!" Max exclaims.

"And since when are you an expert on romance?" Jamie asks as she steps on the escalator, looking back at Max who was a step behind her. Max simply winks at her and Jamie smiles shyly as she looks forward.

"Maybe El really likes Mike's lips," Will suggests with a shrug.

Lucas leans close to Mike's face and shrugs a little, "I don't know, they seem a little chapped to me."

Mike shoves Lucas away and the other teen laughs. Jamie smiles at the comment as well as she looks up at Max to see if she was laughing as well. Max doesn't start smiling until she meets Jamie's gaze and shakes her head, mouthing idiots to Jamie.

They make their way through the mall crowed here they accidentally bump into several people.

"Yeah watch it, nerds!" Erica Sinclair, Lucas's younger sister, yells at them.

"Isn't it past your bedtime?" Lucas asks.

"Isn't it time you die?" Erica asks and all her friends break out into laughter.

"Psycho!"

"Butthead!"

Mall rat!"

"Fart face!"

Lucas blows a raspberry at his sister and Max grabs his arm dragging him along, "That was mature."

They head into Scoops Ahoy where Jamie grins instantly at the sight of Robin. Mike walks up to the counter and rings the bell repeatedly and Jamie slaps his hand shoving him out of the way.

"Hi Robin," Jamie greets with a shy smile. She'd never tell Max but she had a little crush on Robin. She couldn't help it. She was so cool.

"Hi James," Robin says as she leans over and looks past Jamie. Her eyes settle on Max and a knowing smile crosses Robin's lips as she looks back at the younger teen, "Anything I can do for you?"

"Get Steve?" Jamie requests.

Robin laughs and nods her head, "I can do that."

"Dingus, your children are here!" the window in the back slides open and Steve stands there. Jamie smiles and waves at him, but Steve doesn't reciprocate her energy.

"Again? Seriously?"

Jamie smiles, "You're the best neighbor in the whole wide world!"

"I better be," Steve says as he lets them through the backdoor. They head through and Jamie gives a quick hug to Robin behind the counter and then to Steve, kissing him on the cheek.

"James, weren't you and Red here like two days ago?" Steve asks.

Jamie feigns a scoff, "What? No!"

Steve's eyes narrow at her, "Right."

"Stay awesome!" Jamie tells him as she takes off after her friends who were way ahead.

"Hey if anyone hears about this-"

"We're dead!" they all shout in unison as they make their way toward the movie theater. Jamie jogs a little to catch up with Max who was trailing behind so that Jamie could catch up with her. She holds a handout and Jamie slips her hand into Max's, a smile on her lips as she gives Max's hand a light squeeze.

Mike pokes his head out of the door that leads to the hallway of the theatre, "Coast is clear."

They head into the theatre that was playing the Day of the Dead and squeezed into any open seats that they could find. As Jamie sat down she realized that she wasn't beside Max but rather that Lucas had somehow found his way in between them.

Jamie leaned around Lucas to see the annoyed expression on Max's face. Will opened his bags and passed out snacks to the rest of them. Max always got her own pack of skittles which she would reluctantly share with Jamie and Jamie only and with Lucas beside her, there was no way in hell Max was sharing.

Will handed Jamie an extra skittles pack and she held it between herself and Lucas, "Want to share?"

"Sure," Lucas replies to her with a smile.

Jamie opened the package and just as the movie was beginning, the screen went out, dropping them all in absolute darkness. There were exclamations of disappointment, but Jamie tensed up with fear at being in the darkness. She felt Lucas's hand atop her own as he gave her a gentle squeeze, a reminder that he was there.

A second later the movie cuts back on and everyone in the theatre lets out a cheer. Jamie smiles thankfully at Lucas and notices that Max is looking at her with a concerned expression on her face. Her eyes drift down to Jamie and Lucas's hands and then back up at Jamie.

"You okay?" she asks.

"Yeah," Jamie says as she retracts her hand from Lucas's.

The movie begins playing and Jamie looks over at Will, noticing how he reaches up and touches the back of his neck.

"Will?" Jamie says softly, "You okay?"

"Yeah," Will says with a nod. Jamie looks over at Mike who met her concerned gaze as well. Will looked between the two of them, "I'm fine guys. I promise."

They watch the movie and when they walk out, Jamie walks like a zombie toward Lucas, "I'm going to eat you!"

"Ahhh," Lucas pretends to be scared and hides behind Will, "Save me!"

"I'll eat you too!" Jamie says as she walks toward Will who laughs along as well.

"You are so weird," Max says as she looks at Jamie shaking her head. Truthfully though, she found Jamie's actions to be extremely cute.

Jamie smiles as she places both hands on Max's shoulders, "Does that mean you want me to eat you too?"

"Not if I eat you first," Max says, and Jamie lets out a squeal as she moves away from Max and to the other side of Mike who chuckles as she hides behind him.

They say their goodbyes outside of the mall, making plans to surprise Dustin when he got back from camp. Jamie and Max biked toward her house. When they made their way inside, Jamie's parents were passed out on the couch and Jamie smiles as she turns the TV off before dragging Max upstairs.

"What would you rate tonight?" Jamie asks as she braids her hair in the mirror of her bathroom.

"A three," Max answers as she changes into one of Jamie's cheer shirts.

"A three?" Jamie asks surprised with a laugh, "Why so low?"

"Reason one," Max begins, "The power went out. Reason two, Lucas was sitting beside you, and he held your hand. Reason three, I haven't kissed you in like...three hours."

Jamie lets out a playful gasp, "Are you jealous?"

"No," Max responds quickly as she watches Jamie braid her hair. Jamie pauses and looks at Max and she can tell from the look in her eyes that she is.

"You so are!"

"Shut up!" Max exclaims as she takes a pillow and puts it on her face. Jamie chuckles, finishing off her braid before jumping on her bed and taking the pillow off of Max's face.

"Don't look at me," Max says with a pout, "I'm green with envy."

Jamie snorts, "You shouldn't be. Lucas is like my brother. I only like you."

"Promise?" Max asks and Jamie nods her head.

"Promise," Jamie responds.

"Okay," Max says as she rests her head in Jamie's lap.

"I'll make tomorrow better," Jamie says as she leans down and kisses Max's forehead.

"I know," Max says as she cups Jamie's cheek and steals a kiss.

~*~

The next day, they plan to surprise Dustin by luring him out with his robots, courtesy of El, but the plan goes to shit when they surprise him and Dustin surprises them back by spraying Lucas in the face with hairspray.

"Is it any better?" Jamie asks softly as Lucas sticks his head under the water. He straightens up squinting his eyes.

"It still stings," Lucas says.

"He's fine," Max responds as she steps up beside Jamie and looks at Lucas's face. While squinting he points a finger at her forehead.

"Is that a new zit?"

Max's cheeks turn red, and her eyes widen at the question, "What is wrong with you?"

"I was just askin-ahhhh," Lucas starts screaming as she shoves Lucas's head back under the water.

Jamie looks at Lucas and Max concerned.

"I don't think-"

"He's fine," Max insists firmly as she leans down beside him, "Aren't you fine Lucas?"

"I'm fine!" Lucas yells, "I'm so fine!"

Max lets go of Lucas. And Jamie reaches over grabbing a towel for him, "Dab don't rub."

"Thanks," Lucas tells her as he takes the towel. Jamie smiles at him and looks up as everyone is heading out of the house.

"What's going on?" Max asks.

"We're going to talk to Dustin's girlfriend," Will says with a smile.

"Girlfriend?" the three of the ask in unison. They share a look as they run out of the house after them.

As they climb up the hill so that Dustin can set up his Cerebro, he explains that Suzie is Mormon and so that her parents would never approve because he isn't Mormon and how the entire situation was Shakespearean like Romeo and Juliet which Jamie didn't see because there was no death involved but to each their own.

"Hey, guys!" Mike shouts and they all stop walking to see that Mike and El were far behind.

"They better not," Max mutters under her breath.

"This is fun and all," Mike begins, "But uh..."

"I have to go home," El says as Mike taps on his watch.

"They did," Jamie mutters crossing her arms over her chest.

"We're almost there," Dustin says pointing to the top of the hill.

"Sorry man," Mike says with a grin that says otherwise, "Come on let's go."

"Good luck," El says with a smile as she takes Mike's hand and lets him lead her away.

"Curfew at four?" Dustin asks.

"They're lying," Lucas says shaking his head, "They've been like this all summer."

"It'll wear off," Jamie says as she looks at the boys, "When you first get into a relationship you want nothing more than to spend time with the other person."

Lucas raises an eyebrow, "And you know this...how?"

Jamie shrugs, "Because I have experience."

"Experience?" Lucas asks sounding surprised, "Dating?"

Jamie frowns, "Why is it so hard to believe that someone would like me?"

"It isn't hard to believe at all," Lucas retorts, "I mean you're pretty and you're smart and your hair smells really, really good."

Jamie's brows furrow as she looks over at Max who was glaring at Lucas.

"Thank you?" Jamie states.

"Are you?" Lucas asks as he looks at Jamie in a way that he had never before. It was - dare she say it - shy? "Seeing someone?"

"N-not at the moment," Jamie answers. Max had told her that she wanted to keep things between the two of them, so she had no choice but to lie.

"Oh," Lucas says nodding his head, "Cool."

"Cool," Jamie responds nodding her head.

"Weird," Will mutters.

"Can we get going?" Max asks as she shoves her way between Lucas and Jamie so that she can get to Dustin. Jamie looks over at Max who is very much annoyed and is certainly ignoring Jamie based on the way she's not looking at her.

"Yes," Dustin says with a grin, "Onwards and upwards!"

When they reach the top of the hill, Jamie's ready to pass out and is drenched in sweat, something that hasn't happened since cheer camp.

"Why couldn't we just play D&D?" Will asks breathlessly.

They get to work setting up Cerebro as the sun begins to sink below the horizon.

"Impressive right?" Dustin asks as he looks at everyone with a smile, "Are you guys ready to meet my love?"

"Yeah," Jamie answers.

"Sure," is Max's reply.

"Whatever," Lucas says.

"Suzie, this is Dustin. Do you copy? Over," Dustin says into the radio. They all stare as there is nothing but silence on the other line, "Suzie this is Dustin. Do you copy? Over."

Dustin looks at them, "I'm sure she's there it's just-"

"Yeah?" Lucas asks.

"She's just busy," Dustin justifies and Jamie nods along finding that to be a totally valid reason.

"Yeah," Lucas says nodding his head.

"It's around dinnertime," Dustin states.

"Yep," Max says with a nod.

"Here," Dustin says, which would put Utah three hours behind and not at dinnertime but sure. Jamie looked at her friends to see that they were all looking skeptically at Dustin, but she had a feeling that she was real.

The sun sets and the moon rises in the sky and the three of them sit there and listen as Dustin tries to get in contact with her.

"Well at this point she probably is eating dinner," Lucas mutters as he looks at his watch.

"Suzie, this is your Dustin, do you copy? Over."

Max sits up, "Dustin come on! She's not there."

"She's there, all right? She'll pick up," Dustin insists.

"Maybe Cerebro doesn't work?" Will suggests.

"Or maybe Suzie doesn't exist!" Lucas exclaims.

"She exists!" Dustin argues back.

"She's a genius and she's hotter than Phoebe Cates? No girl is that perfect," Lucas states. There's silence following the statement and Lucas looks over at Jamie and Max, "I just meant that-"

"Don't try to explain," Max says shaking her head.

"Yeah," Jamie says, "Look I'm sure that Suzie is real and maybe she's had a really busy day, but I have a long bike ride home. I love you Dustin and I'm glad that you're back."

Jamie glances sheepishly over at Max, "You coming to mine?"

Max shrugs nonchalantly, "Only because your dad makes the best breakfast."

"Right," Jamie says as Max walks past her and down the hill. She gives everyone one last wave before chasing after Max.

"Are you mad at me?" Jamie asks as she catches up with Max.

"No," Max responds.

"I feel like you are," Jamie says softly, "What did I do wrong?"

"It's not you," Max states as she glances over at Jamie, "You're just sweet and perfect and it's annoying."

"I'm sorry?" Jamie states confused.

"Don't apologize," Max tells her.

"But I have to if you're mad at me," Jamie says.

"I'm not mad at you!" Max exclaims as she stops walking and Jamie stops as well as she looks at her girlfriend. Max sighs as she runs her fingers through her hair in a frustrated manner, "I just – I didn't want them making fun of us, and now..." she trails off.

"Now what?" Jamie wonders.

"Now Lucas has a crush on you," Max says softly.

"Lucas?" Jamie asks, "Likes me?"

"James," Max states, "It's so obvious. It's like he finally realized you were a girl and he couldn't have me so now he wants you and I don't want him to want you."

"I don't like Lucas," Jamie responds hoping that will settle Max.

"I know that," Max says, "I want him to know that you're taken but I also don't want to ruin things by telling everyone I mean you see how they make fun of El and Mike."

"Well, that's because they leave early to make out or arrive late because they were making out or ditch entirely because they want to make out," Jamie says, "We don't do that."

"I'm just not ready," Max says softly as she looks down at the ground.

"And I told you I was fine with that," Jamie says as she reaches out to take Max's hand into her own to calm her. Max looks up at her and Jamie smiles at her, "It's okay."

"I'll be better," Max tells her softly.

"You're perfect," Jamie says with a smile as she pulls Max in for a hug. She settles herself snuggly against Jamie's shoulder, "You hotter than Phoebe Cates and you're a genius."

Max laughs softly at the comment, "That's the best compliment I could have received."

Jamie chuckles as she takes Max's hand, "Come on. Let's go home."

Max smiles at the words and Jamie swings their hands as they walk.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.4K 2.3K 13
-๐’๐€๐“๐„๐‹๐‹๐ˆ๐“๐„ แตโฑแตแต‰ สทสฐแต‰แต‰หกแต‰สณ '๐ข'๐ฆ ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž, ๐ซ๐ข๐ ๐ก๐ญ ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž' -In which he...
12.5K 115 25
When Emmy Reed falls for the new girl Max mayfield. โ๐™”๐™ค๐™ช๐™ง ๐™จ๐™ค ๐™œ๐™ค๐™ก๐™™๐™š๐™ฃ โž *This story follows the storyline of the show. I do not own any of...
282K 9.6K 51
In which Valerie Sinclair is forced to move back to her hometown of Hawkins Indiana and stay with her cousin and his family, to have a better life bu...
65K 1.5K 31
Max Mayfield x fem OC season 2 - โœ… season 3 - โœ… season 4 - โœ… season 5 -