This Thing A Quiet Madness Ma...

By funfuntoday

A family friend of the Bakugos' moves in with them as she prepares to enter high school. To everyone else, sh... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 51

Chapter 50

304 13 6
By funfuntoday

       The prodding sun leaked quietly through the gap between the curtains. With a drowsy groan, Naoko pressed her cheek further into the comfort of her pillow as a stray beam wandered much too close to her eye. She shifted, wiggling a bit in an attempt to get away from the intrusive light.

"Stop fucking moving," a grumble came from behind her, faintly muffled, as she felt the bed shift.

Summoning the energy to lift her head a bit, she half-glanced over her shoulder, and after just a moment, plunked back down, a short breath leaving her lips.

"I'm such a stereotype..." she sighed quietly.

"What was that?"

"Nothing."

"Didn't sound like nothing."

"That's not my problem."

"Oh yea?"

She felt tiny kisses trailing across her back, the arms around her waist tightening. "Mhm."

The unfamiliar room lit warmly under the morning sun- or maybe it was afternoon now; she couldn't much tell either way. The pleasant tingle of the cotton sheets against her skin was undeniable, and the warmth pressed against her back even more so.

"'Suki?"

"Hm?"

"Just checking if you were still awake. Thought you fell asleep for a second."

"Got something to say?"

"Not really." Her index finger trailed slow patterns over his forearm, and his warm breath fanned across her back.

"When do you leave?" he asked, palm laid idly against her hip.

"Early tomorrow."

That weighty melancholy from last night tugged at her chest once more.

She didn't like this quiet.

She turned around and shifted to lay eye-level with him. "We should talk about this."

Lovely red eyes opened to gaze back at her. "So talk."

"Is it over after I leave?"

"Do you want it to be?"

"No. Do you?"

"Then it won't be."

"But how's that going to work?"

"We'll find a way." His vague reassurance didn't seem to be enough for her, however, and upon noticing her lips downturn ever so slightly, Bakugo tsked, tucking an unruly strand of hair behind her ear. "We both have vacation days, there's holidays and whatever, and it's not like phones don't exist."

"Yea, but..." she started without any words to follow, eyes cast to the side.

"I know, I know. You'll miss me."

Her gaze snapped back up at his mocking tone, and in a second, she knew she had fallen right into his trap of making her feel better. "I never said that!"

"Sure you didn't."

"Hey! Don't make fun of me!"

"Why shouldn't I?"

"Well you said you love me last night!"

"I did not!"

"You did!"

"Says who?!"

"Says you!" Her laugh bubbled around the room, arms wrapping around his neck, and she squeezed him tight.

"Alright, alright, get off me already." He pinched at her hip, unhideable smile hidden against her hair. "Your phone was lighting up all night, by the way."

"Oh, really?" She glanced behind her for a second, pulling herself away and rolling towards the nightstand.

As if to prove a point, the screen lit up with an incoming call the moment she touched the device.

"H-"

"Where have you been?! I've been trying to call you all night! Why would you just disappear like that?!"

"Sorry, sorry, my phone was off and I didn't hear-"

"Where are you?! You can't just run off without telling anyone! HQ has been hounding me about why your location is off and I'm about to lose my mind!"

"I know, I-"

"You know how many reports I already have to file thanks to this trip! I really don't think I can even stand the thought of one more! And now this is a whole other problem I have to explain to them!"

"I get it, but-"

"And security back home is already throwing a fit with how long you've been missing! The director is going to hear about this if I can't tell them where you are literally right now, and if he hears about this then that's a whole other load of work I have to-"

"Ok, Lillian! Listen to me, ok? I'll call them and let them know what happened, you just let everyone here know I'm fine. Just tell them to stop worrying, alright? And I told you before, I'll deal with the paperwork, so you just forget about all that and worry about your meetings today, got it?"

"As if I could let you do your own paperwork! That would be like you don't even need me!"

"Oh, you know that's not true!"

"Of course it's not! Look, I know you haven't been back here in forever, and you probably have a lot of... personal things to take care of, but at least let me know before you disappear for the night, ok?"

"I know, I know, you're right. Don't worry about those hawks back home- I'll deal with them. And if they keep pestering you, just tell them to save the questions for me once we get back."

"...fine, we'll do it your way, but you better be ready for the fight of your life."

"It's almost like you don't know me. Oh, and by the way, my location is going to stay off for a while longer."

"What?! Why?! You can't just-!"

"Ok thanks bye!"

The line dropped and Naoko sighed quietly, tossing her phone back onto the nightstand. She ran a hand through her hair, silently apologizing to her future self for the inevitable firestorm she had certainly doomed her to.

"Who was that?"

She glanced over to Bakugo who had gotten up somewhere along the line and begun getting dressed.

"My handler. She's the one in charge of all the boring parts of my life," she mused, eyes trailing down his back where well-defined muscles flexed with every movement.

"Like a manager or something?"

"Same idea."

"What's with all the talk about paperwork?"

"Long story. We have to report interactions with foreign nationals."

He glanced back at her with a questioning eyebrow raised. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Well, anything more than passing contact with anyone who isn't a U.S. citizen has to get reported," she recited faithfully. "Trips like these are always a paper-trail nightmare thanks to that."

"And what exactly do you report on?"

"What we talked about, what we did, if they had some unusual interest in my job- you know, things like that."

"So you have to report every conversation you've had since you got here?"

"Most of them, yea."

"That's some fucking bullshit."

"You're telling me."

"You gonna tell them we fucked too?"

"No way! That would throw both of us into a whole other thing. Now that would be a real nightmare."

"So you're just gonna lie?"

"Sure am."

He snickered, tossing a shirt at her as she dug herself out from underneath the blankets. "Aren't you supposed to be on the straight and narrow now?"

"Gotta keep them on their toes, you know?"

Slipping on the shirt and sifting through the scattered trail of her clothing from last night, Naoko pulled herself together enough to appear at least half-decent before gathering up her dress and draping it over a nearby chair, deeming the article far too nice to let it get wrinkled. After another bit or two of lethargic morning banter, she headed into the bathroom, and one quick, unreasonably hot shower later, she padded back out with a towel in hand.

The distinct sizzle of something frying drew her into the kitchen, and the awfully tempting smell of something tasty had her shuffling over to peek at what was in the pan.

"I hope you're still a good cook." She smiled, arm looping through his as she pressed her cheek against his shoulder, eyes still fixated on the bacon and hashbrowns hissing above the fire.

"Don't need to hope, stupid. I'm the best around."

"Maybe your ego could use a kicking or two."

"I'd like to see you try."

"You shouldn't talk to your seniors like that, 'Suki."

"Just because you've been a hero longer doesn't mean you're better than me, loser. Don't forget I'm ranked higher than you."

"Well, technically, considering there are way more heroes over there than over here, I actually am better than you."

"Keep talking and you're not getting any breakfast."

"Aw, you don't mean that!"

"Fuck around and find out," he scoffed, shoving a piece of bacon into her mouth. "Go get the plates."

The crunch as she chewed was sharp and satisfying, and she quickly concluded he was indeed still a good cook. Now with a bit of a bounce in her step, she padded over to the row of cabinets.

"You say that like I know where they are."

She hummed as she checked each cabinet one by one: pots, pans, spices, cups, tupperware-

She was just about to close the little doors when she paused.

Sitting right at eye-level, she noticed, was a white ceramic bowl: plain and unnoteworthy, yet she blinked at it for a moment too long. She scanned it over curiously, and after a second, she reached up, tilting its clear plastic lid towards her.

There was a little scratch near the edge.

She glanced back at Bakugo who was too busy rifling through the fridge to notice her, and she quickly retracted her gaze, smiling foolishly as she shut the cabinet and moved on to the next one.

"Found them!" she declared as she set a pair of shiny dishes atop the kitchen counter.

"Don't say that like it's an achievement," he scoffed as he poured two glasses of milk, turning back to plate their food.

"So you're not working today?"

"No, I've got the weekend off for once."

"Do you have any plans then?"

"Some errands, but that's it."

She nodded with a hum, munching on another piece of bacon. "How's work been?"

"You're shit at small talk."

"It's not small talk if I actually want to know."

He snickered. "Sure would be a lot easier if there weren't so many idiots causing trouble out there. Just this week I had to deal with a dozen shitty petty villains. Idiots weren't even fun to beat."

"Mhm, some things are universal, I guess."

"At least you get to deal with villains who are worth the time."

"Hey, you've dealt with plenty of big fish too, haven't you?"

"Yea, but it's not like it happens every week."

"So you're saying the city's too safe for you?"

"More like too boring. Maybe shit wouldn't be so dull if we had a few more supervillains like you every once in a while."

"Oh?" A smug smile grew on her lips as she leaned forward. "You think I was super?"

"Don't let it get to your head, loser."

"Is that any way to speak to the love of your life?"

"Hey! I never said that!"

"But you did! I can't believe you have feelings, 'Suki, that's so embarrassing."

"Oh yea? You got a big mouth for someone who spent all night crying on my-"

"Ok! How about we talk about something else!"

"Why? Can't take what you dish out?"

"I absolutely can! You're just being gross!"

"Whatever makes you feel better about yourself."

"Why are you so mean to me all the time?"

"I'm not and you know it," he scoffed, stepping closer and tilting her face up for a soft kiss.

He pulled away after a moment, their gazes locked, noses almost touching.

"I should get started on those errands soon."

"Oh." The abrupt statement left her quiet for a second as he stepped away to slip his plate into the sink. She glanced down, then back up, and nodded as casually as she could. "Right. One second, I'll get my stuff."

"Why?"

She paused, glancing back at him. "Why what?"

"Just leave it. We'll be back."

"What do you mean?"

"You're coming with me, right?"

"I am?" She blinked at him, puzzled, yet he didn't seem to notice in the slightest, merely floating around the kitchen, washing dishes, drying his hands, returning items to their rightful places.

"What? You got somewhere better to be?"

"I mean, not really."

"So hurry up. Sweatpants are in the bottom drawer."

And just like that, they were in his car five minutes later- some flashy sports car she certainly couldn't name- Naoko now donning a pair of rolled-up sweatpants and some sandals Mina had left behind one time.

"So where are we going?"

"Stop asking so many questions."

"It kind of sounds like you're kidnapping me, you know."

"And risk your goons coming after my ass? You wish."

"Aw, you think I have goons?"

"You mean you don't?"

"Can't say, otherwise the goons might come after me instead."

And for the time they were in the car, it almost felt like nothing could touch them, like the life they should have had, like it could last forever. All infectious laughter and lingering grins, and just two happy people.

"So," Naoko rested against her palm as she gazed at the passing scenery, namely a very familiar street in a very familiar neighborhood, "what was your errand again?

"Wouldn't you like to know."

"Come on, you can tell me. I won't judge."

"How about you wait and see?"

"The suspense is killing me." She smiled lazily, and it stayed resilient even as they pulled into a very familiar driveway of a very familiar house. "Are you getting something from your parents' place?"

"Something like that," he stated, turning off the engine and popping the door open.

"Have fun," she called after him as he ducked out of the car, but a second later, the passenger side door opened too.

She stared up at him, eyebrow raised.

He stared back.

"What?"

"Get out already."

"Why?"

"Because I said so."

"I can just wait here."

"No you can't."

"Why not?"

"Just get out, stupid."

Her questioning gaze didn't wane, but after a moment, she complied anyway, dipping her head a bit as she stepped out of the car. He shut the door behind her, making a point of locking it before heading up the steps and to the front door.

"What are you standing there for? Hurry up."

"You want me to go inside?"

"You'd rather just stand in the driveway like a creep?"

"Are your parents home?"

"Why does it matter?"

"Of course it matters!"

"Just get over here already!"

"I don't think that's a good idea."

"What are you so scared of? You think there's an ambush in there or something?"

"...well I didn't before, but now I kind of do."

"Just come on, coward," he scoffed, doubling back for her and dragging both of them toward the front door, though not without some small resistance on her part.

"'Suki, I'm really not sure this is a good idea." She tugged on his arm, wincing as he knocked on the door none too gently. "I can just wait in the car while you do whatever you're here for."

"Can't. The car's locked."

"What? Just unlock it."

"Can't find the key."

"You- what? You just put it in your pocket!"

"No I didn't."

"I literally just saw-!"

The door opened before she could say anything more about his blatant lie, however, and she quickly turned to see a much too familiar face. One that was, it seemed, just as surprised to see her.

"Naoko?" Masaru blinked curiously. "Is that you?"

She could only stare back at him, expression pinched with some mix of caught-red-handed and abject horror. Her mouth opened wordlessly as she attempted to form some reasonable thought or another.

"Hi," she finally managed with an awkward smile.

He was about to respond, but another voice called out before he could, a clatter of footsteps sounding from behind him.

"Honey! Is that Katsuki? And did he bring-" Mitsuki descended from atop the staircase, hardly making it halfway before she caught sight of the pair beyond the door, freezing mid-step, "Naoko!"

The girl stumbled backwards, the breath knocked from her lungs as Mitsuki tackled her into a hug.

"It's been so long! It's so good to see you!" She squeezed tightly, a beaming grin lit across her face as she pulled back. "I can't believe how much you've grown! It's about time you came to visit! I've been telling Katsuki to bring you around for ages now, ever since we heard you'd be back in the country- I'm so glad you made it!"

"Oh, uh... thanks?" She smiled uncertainly. She glanced to Bakugo for help, but he didn't seem to notice.

"Oh, come in, come in!" she gestured, swiftly bundling the girl into the house. "You have to tell me all about your time overseas! Gosh, that must be so exciting! You know, Masaru and I went to America one time for a business trip back when we were still with the design firm. Goodness, that was way back in the day-"

And somehow, Naoko ended up sitting with the Bakugos, chatting and smiling and catching up on lost time like any family would: a cup of tea in hand, a smile on her lips, and every last neuron working overtime to hide the sheer mortification at being sat in front of Katsuki's parents while very obviously wearing his clothes. Katsuki himself, on the other hand, splayed comfortably beside her on the couch, apparently all too at ease with the whole situation.

"It's so wonderful you both ended up as heroes! It must have been hard moving to a new place all by yourself, and so far away too, but you've been amazing! And I can't believe the kinds of things you've done, helping so many people. Katsuki could really learn a thing or two from you about being a good role model, you know-"

"Hey!"

"It's just a shame you're so far away, and you're so busy it must be hard to get time away from work. We were so excited to hear you'd be coming back for the same event Katsuki was going to! And we watched the broadcast last night- your speech was wonderful! It was just so touching, oh, I think I cried! Goodness, I can't believe it's only been a few years since you left. It feels like it's been forever since we last saw you! I'm so glad you and Katsuki had the chance to catch up. All he does is work these days, but it's good to take a break every once in a while. And it's good you're here too- maybe you can get through his thick skull since he never listens to me anyway. He's been all nervous these past few days about your visit, so maybe now he can contain himself a little-"

"Oi! That's not true! Shut up, hag!"

"Don't talk to your mother like that, you ungrateful brat!"

"Well don't go saying all that crap about me!"

"Maybe I wouldn't if you came back home every once in a while!"

"I have a fucking job! What the hell do you want from me?!"

"Just because you're a hero now doesn't mean you can forget about your-!" A chime sounded from the kitchen. "Oh! The cookies are ready! Katsuki, come help me with this!"

"Why should I?!"

"Get over here before I kick your sorry ass out of this house!"

The bickering didn't stop as it dragged itself over to the kitchen, their brashness growing just a bit muffled as it ducked behind the homely walls.

"Sorry about them." Masaru smiled apologetically. "You know how they are."

"No, no, it's fine," Naoko reassured, hands waving sheepishly in front of her.

The clatter of cabinet doors and clashing ceramic resounded from the kitchen, the displaced argument never waning.

Naoko never had much more than a passing conversation or two with Masaru. Even back in the simple days, they never had much occasion to speak without Mitsuki or Katsuki present, and it's not as if either of them were much the talkative type. Everything considered, perhaps the distinct gap in conversation now wasn't too surprising, but she couldn't help but notice his words were even fewer than usual.

"I didn't mean to come by so out-of-the-blue like this," Naoko spoke up in some attempt to explain herself, "I didn't know Katsuki was coming to visit today. I really don't mean to impose."

"No, no, you're not. It's nothing, really. Don't worry about it." He smiled reassuringly. Ever-polite. The voice of reason.

She smiled and nodded, hands folded in her lap.

Her eyes wandered stiffly about the room. Separate, out of place, foreign in a too-nice home.

The discomfort was fully settled now.

"It's not like that-" Masaru spoke up suddenly, drawing her eyes back to him, and then she saw he was uncomfortable too, yet he still smiled as best he could, "-what you're thinking."

Uncertain, she blinked. "Sorry?"

"I know you probably think we must be... upset about what happened back then. It- well, maybe we were for a time, but-" he seemed to struggle to find the right words, "we know it was hard for you, and we know you had to do some things you didn't want to. We're- we really are glad you're doing well now. And for what it's worth, we're not upset with you."

Naoko hesitated.

After a moment, a stiff smile appeared on her lips. "Thank you, but you really don't have to force yourself. It's ok, honestly. I can't imagine what it was like for you back then, you know, to hear about... everything that way. I know it was personal, especially with... the way it involved your friend. So really, whatever you think about me, it's ok."

"It wouldn't be right to blame you for that. That was a tragedy, what happened to Ito Naoko- oh, the real one, I mean- but we know that wasn't your fault." His eyes lowered in thought, some kind of deeply entrenched conflict passing through his expression. "It was hardest on Katsuki, everything that happened. It was hard for his mother and I to watch him go through that. He's grown up a lot these past few years, and even if he doesn't speak to us as much anymore, I think he's changed. If he's decided you're still important to him... then you're still important to us too."

She paused, mouth opening quietly before closing again. Her eyes drifted in thought. "Thank-"

"Sorry about that! The oven has been acting up lately, but the cookies are done!" Mitsuki announced as she shuffled out of the kitchen, a big plate of baked treats in hand. "Here, here, try one! You used to love these." She held the plate out to Naoko, grin white and excitable.

"Why'd you make so damn many?! Who the hell are you trying to feed, hag?!"

"They're for Naoko to take back, idiot! No one said they were for you!"

"Why the hell would you make shit for her and not me?!"

"Because all you ever do is complain every time you come back!"

"That's a fucking lie!"

"Watch your damn language!"

_______________________________________________

"Well," Naoko leaned against the center console, gaze tilted towards the scenery passing them by, "that was fun."

"You got a shitty definition of fun."

"You're the one who brought us there. Can I at least get a warning next time?"

"Quit complaining."

"I'm not complaining."

"Whatever."

"So I would ask if this means you're done with your errands now, but this doesn't look like the way back to your place."

"Guess your head isn't completely empty."

"Unnecessarily aggressive, but ok."

"Shut it."

"I don't think I will. So what kind of fun surprise should I be expecting next?"

"Who knows?"

She glanced over to him, eyes grazing him up and down, a smile on her lips. "What's with you today?"

"What are you talking about?" He raised an eyebrow at her.

She hummed, one hand drifting up to play with his hair, earning herself another questioning glance. "I'm not sure."

"Why are you smiling like that?"

"Like what?"

"Like that."

She laughed, eyes crinkling as she leaned back in her seat. "Just happy is all."

He glanced over to her again, sunlight in his eye. "Doesn't take much to make you happy, huh?"

"Not much at all."

Silly smiles clung to both their cheeks as they zipped through the warm spring city. Fortunately for her undying curiosity, it didn't take much longer for the scenery to become familiar, but Naoko opted to hold off on her guesses anyway.

That was, of course, until their destination finally came into view.

"What are-"

"No."

"...no what?"

"No, I'm not going to tell you what we're doing here."

"But 'Suki!"

"No buts," he asserted as he parked the car, slipping the keys into his pocket before ducking out once again.

Naoko followed willingly this time, certain he would end up coaxing her out even if she didn't. He fell into step beside her as they headed down the walkway before them: a single, linear path leading up to an arching gateway. As they drew a bit closer, they could make out what seemed to be a figure leaning against the side of the arch.

"Is that...?" She squinted, footsteps speeding up into a bit of a shuffle.

The figure pushed off from the gate as they grew nearer, shifting lazily to tuck their hands into their pockets.

"Eraser!" Naoko beamed as she crossed the remaining distance in a second, tackling the man into a hug. "I thought that was you!"

"Nice to see you too," he grunted at the restrictive squeeze, faintly patting her back as he half-returned the hug.

"It's been forever! What are you doing here?" She grinned up at him as she pulled away. "Or rather, what am I doing here?" she wondered aloud.

Aizawa glanced between the two, a questioning tint in his still-dark-ringed eyes. "Bakugo didn't tell you about the class?"

"The class?"

"He's going to be helping the students with their quirk development."

"Oh is he?" She glanced back at him, lips curving upwards. "That's nice! I had no idea! I hope I'm not intruding."

"Not at all. He let us know he'd be bringing you this morning, and despite how very last minute it was," he shot Bakugo a pointed look, "the students will be happy to have you here."

"Well, I promise I won't get in the way! So how have you been, Eraser? Still teaching after so long?"

"Apparently so."

"How are your students this year?"

"The same as always."

"I hope they don't get into as much trouble as 'Suki's class did."

"I don't think anyone could get into as much trouble as them. This year isn't nearly so eventful, luckily."

"Well that's good! We wouldn't want to send you into early retirement!"

"Don't be so sure about that. How long are you in the country for anyway? I'm surprised you have the time to be here."

"Me too, really. My staff have some things to handle today, so we leave tomorrow morning. Gotta see the sights while I can, you know?"

"Right. Well, we're glad you're able to visit, knowing how busy you are."

"Did the principal make you say that?"

"No. The PR chair did."

"Aw, it's nice to know you missed me so much, Eraser!"

"Can we just get to the damn class already?"

"Don't be rude, 'Suki. We're guests here, remember?"

"Guest my ass. I'll beat some skill into those brats."

"Watch yourself, Bakugo. The school was reluctant to bring you here in the first place. Don't cause any trouble for me."

"Why were they reluctant?"

"I'm guessing you haven't seen his public approval rating."

"Oh? How bad is it?"

"Bad, considering his general ranking."

"Oi! Don't talk about me like I'm not here!"

"Hey, it's just a number, 'Suki- we all know it doesn't mean much. Don't feel bad!"

"I never said I feel bad!"

"Aw, you didn't have to!"

"I'm going to kick your fucking ass straight back across the ocean!"

"Quiet, you two." Aizawa glared back at them pointedly. "The students are just up ahead. You're both adults now, so act like it."

"Yes sir!"

"Whatever!"

Aizawa sighed in exasperation as they reached the entrance to the gym, the distinct buzz of chatter drifting through from the other side. Naoko elbowed Bakugo and shot him an encouraging grin, only to receive a scoff in return, and as Aizawa pushed open the gym doors, quietly pondering whether it was too late to swap them for some less peculiar guests, the unlikely trio stepped into the familiar training area.

The students were, to say the least, thrilled with their visitor.

Gasps echoed through the room as they entered, the chatter quickly giving way to stunned silence. Not a second later, however, the hush shattered as the gym burst into shouts and cheers, and the students all beamed astonished grins as they ran up to gawk at their surprise guest, star-struck gazes blinding, greetings and adoration and disbelief pouring out from the gathered crowd. They were quick to contain themselves when Aizawa reprimanded them, surprisingly enough, and they collectively took a step back to offer some space, voices simmering into low whispers exchanged amongst the crowd as Aizawa introduced them.

As it turns out, the class was mostly composed of Dynamight fans, perhaps not too surprisingly, and the eager buzz radiating off them was nearly thick enough to touch. They practically bounced in place as their teacher explained how he was here to help them with their quirks, how they should be respectful, how they should focus on making the most of today's training period. Whether or not they really absorbed any of his words was a different matter, but they cheered eagerly at his instruction, and then the training had begun.

"Your kids seem really nice," Naoko mused, watching as the student Bakugo was helping nodded attentively, eyes round and shimmering as he listened to whatever he was saying.

"They're alright."

Aizawa and Naoko sat by the edge of the gym, resting on the sidelines, a bit away from the main cluster of activity. She would have liked to participate too, and had she not already been explicitly prohibited from using her quirk during this trip, she was certain she would have accepted his offer to help out. As for why Aizawa himself wasn't out there helping with his own class, she supposed that much was obvious enough.

"Isn't it stuffy in that sleeping bag?"

"No, not really."

"So how have things been these past few years? From what I hear, the city seems to be doing well."

"There haven't been too many major incidents lately. Things have calmed down since you were last around."

"That's good, that's good. It must be nice to watch your old students grow up, huh? I hear all the heroes from Katsuki's year are out doing big things now."

"They've done well for themselves."

"Oh, you're so modest, Eraser. Maybe you should try expressing yourself every once in a while. Tell them you're proud of them while you still can."

"Are you expecting my death or something?"

"You know that's not it! I'm just saying, you never know when things might change. Gotta appreciate the present, right?"

"You seem to have things figured out."

"Oh, you flatter me. I'm just thinking out loud."

"Seems like you're the one being modest. Number 16 is nothing to sneeze at."

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"The new American hero charts were announced last night. Didn't you check?"

"Oh, that's right, I almost forgot about that. So I beat out Apollyon after all... I'm going to hear about this when I get back."

"For such good news, you don't seem too excited."

"Oh, you know how it is. Some people will never be satisfied no matter how well they do, that's why I'm happy with whatever number they put me at. But I'll still be using this for bragging rights, of course!"

"Right."

"I'm surprised you knew about that, honestly. The results came out pretty late here, didn't they?"

"I suppose so."

"And you were still awake?"

"Not exactly, but I shouldn't say any more about that."

"What do you mean?"

"I've been told it's a surprise."

"What's a surprise?"

"I can't say."

"Jeez, not you too. Katsuki's already been sneaking things by me all day."

"Then I'm sure one more won't hurt."

"I can't handle all this excitement," she sighed dramatically, a hand over her heart, "it's like I'm the main character today or something."

And the remainder of the class passed uneventfully for the resting pair, save for a few stray quirks nearly hitting them a few times, and the students seemed to have fun too. They listened eagerly to Bakugo as he gave his surprisingly solid advice, they took his loud but well-meaning criticisms with grace, and it seemed the reviews for today's guest instructor were as excellent as they came. The session ended back in the classroom after a few more words of, shall we say, encouragement from Bakugo, and once the bell rang, they were free to go.

But today was a special occasion, and the students opted instead to stay and crowd around their guest, some for autographs, some to ask for hero advice, and some merely curious to hear his answers to others' questions, whatever they were.

"I knew he was popular, but not this much," Naoko mused with curiosity at the eager bundle of hero-hopefuls. "Nothing less than free money could get me to stay after school lets out."

"Was your half-year at UA really that bad?"

"I just don't think I was made for education like that. You know how it is."

"Everyone has their strengths."

"Excuse me," a voice spoke quietly from beside them, drawing both their attentions.

Naoko and Aizawa glanced up to see one of the students smiling awkwardly at them, his phone pressed stiffly to his chest.

"Sorry to interrupt, Ms. Doublecross. So... my sister's a big fan- she's looked up to you for the longest time, and I know you don't do autographs, but would it be ok if I got a picture?"

Naoko blinked at him, his eyes bright with anticipation.

"Oh, yea, of course." She smiled after a momentary pause.

"Thank you!"

The boy shuffled to stand next to her, raising his phone and flipping it to the front camera. Naoko flashed her best smile, watching the screen shutter as it captured the both of them.

"She's not going to believe I got to meet you." The boy grinned as he stepped back respectfully, phone secure in his palm. "She has a ton of your merch, and she loves keeping up with you in the news. She hasn't stopped talking about how excited she is for your visit for days now."

"Oh, that's so nice to hear, and that's really sweet of you to be thinking about your sister. She's lucky to have family like you!"

The boy grinned sheepishly, scratching the back of his neck. "Can I quote you on that?"

"You sure can," she laughed, smile warm. "Let her know I said hi, alright?"

"Definitely! Thank you so much!" He waved as he stepped back toward the huddle of his classmates behind him, flashing a grateful smile before his attention was pulled elsewhere.

"That's crazy, huh?" Naoko mused, tilting her head curiously.

"What?" Aizawa questioned.

"I just didn't think I'd meet a fan here. Well, brother of a fan, but you know."

"You're popular here too, remember?"

"Yea, but I mean here, at a school like this. My approval rating is crazy low with heroes around here, you know."

"Is that so?"

"Oh yea, you should see the numbers."

"I thought your popularity in the country was pretty good?"

"It's good with the public overall, just not with heroes. I've been told it's a perspective thing."

"I see. Well, don't let it bother you."

"I'll try." She smiled lightheartedly, eyes drifting over to where Bakugo still remained flocked with attention. "He's being an awfully good sport about all this, huh? I didn't really think he'd be so patient."

"Neither did I."

"But you invited him anyway?"

"It's a long story."

"Huh, must be."

"What was that thing about you not signing autographs?"

"Huh? Oh, you mean what your kid said? Yea, that's just one of those things we're not allowed to do. Apparently it's for security reasons, but I think they just want to make our lives hard."

"Are there a lot of rules like that in your agency?"

"Sort of, but it's honestly not as bad as it sounds."

"Is that so? I'll have to take your word for-"

A muffled buzz sounded, diverting Aizawa's attention as he pulled his phone from his pocket. Doublecross glanced over at the screen curiously, though she caught herself and turned away before she could make out what it was.

"Come with me for a minute," he sighed quietly as he pushed off the wall.

"Is everything ok?"

"Everything's fine."

"Ok, are we going somewhere?"

"Just outside."

Naoko tilted her head as she followed him out of the classroom, slipping into the mostly empty hallway. Her curiosity only grew as they made their way down the still-familiar hall, the noise behind them dimming as they drew further away.

Soon they came to a stop in front of the elevator near the opposite side, but oddly, he made no move to press the button. She glanced at him questioningly, half wondering if she should press the button herself, when the indicator above the elevator suddenly flicked to life. She looked back at it, noticing the arrow glowed green, signaling someone was coming up.

"Sorry for the surprise, but this was all pretty last-minute. I would have planned this better had I known you were coming today," Aizawa sighed, rubbing at his brow.

Naoko blinked, opening her mouth to ask just what in the world he was talking about, but was interrupted by a soft chime.

She glanced over just as the elevator doors puffed open, and a gleaming, distantly familiar pair of eyes met hers.

She blinked incredulously as a girl, perhaps elementary or middle school-aged, stepped out of the elevator, a timid smile etched across her face.

"You-" Naoko blinked, though she had nothing to follow it up with. Her startled eyes looked the girl up and down, then looked back at Aizawa, then back at the girl again. "No way! Eri? No way you grew up so much!"

"Hi!" Eri grinned, only stumbling a bit when Naoko caught her in a tight hug, squeezing like her life depended on it.

"It's been so long! I can't believe you're all grown up now!" She pulled back, beaming as she glanced her over at arm's length. "Gosh, it can't possibly have been that long, can it? I can't believe it! How have you been?"

"I'm good!" Eri grinned, eyes shining with an excited glimmer. "I wanted to say hi, but I didn't think I'd get the chance! I hope I'm not bothering you."

"Not at all! It's so nice to see you again! How old are you now?"

"I'm 11!"

"Goodness, and you've grown so much! You were barely this tall last time I saw you. And you look great! I hope Eraser has been nice to you lately?"

"He's always nice!" She giggled. "Mr. Aizawa said you were here, and he said I could visit! And I saw you on TV last night!"

"Oh really? Well I hope you didn't stay up too late?"

"I had to! And I saw your new ranking come out too! You're #16 now!"

"That's pretty cool, right?"

"It's super cool!"

"Yay!"

"Yay!"

The chatter followed them down the hall as they ambled their way back to the classroom, Aizawa heading back in to keep an eye on the students, while the other two floated out in the hallway. Eri was taller now, and Naoko no longer needed to crouch to be at eye-level with her. She was older now, well-mannered, and evidently well-educated, and Naoko found she was rather easy to talk to. Eri talked about her school, her clubs, her hobbies, and Naoko talked about her hero work, her travels, her missions. They talked about their friends, about their weekends, and Eri still glimmered as brightly as she remembered. The girl beamed as she spoke of her latest field trip, of her new backpack, of Aizawa, and she seemed every bit the happy kind of child she was.

How wonderful, Naoko thought, that she was doing so well.

And before they knew it, the room full of students had all slipped by them as they trickled out of the classroom, leaving only Bakugo and Aizawa to emerge and join them in the hallway. Eri and Bakugo got their chance to catch up as well- Eri was also a big fan of his, it turns out- as the four of them idled around a bit before making their way back down the building. They took their time, and as the other two were occupied in their chatter, Aizawa and Naoko wandered at the front of the little group, just a few steps ahead.

"Looks like you're doing a good job with the whole parenting thing, huh?" Naoko smiled, voice just low enough to slip their attention.

"I'm just doing what I should."

"Oh, you always say that. Just admit you have a big heart."

"No thanks."

"I'm glad you're still the same, Eraser. You know, I'm surprised Eri remembers me at all. She was so young when I left."

"She remembers some things, but really, most of what she knows about you is from online. She doesn't remember much from back then."

"Yea, I thought that might be the case. It's good she doesn't remember everything, maybe that makes it easier."

Aizawa glanced at her out of the corner of his eye. She hadn't changed much either: her words, as mundane as they seemed, were never really so simple.

"Right."

"Gosh, everything's so different now huh? Everyone's grown up, moved on. Even the school has changed some." She glanced around idly, a light sigh brushing past her lips. "I'm all out of place!"

"Maybe some things have changed, but not much is all that different."

"Easy for you to say- you've been around this whole time, after all."

"Maybe, but if you ask me, you're the one that's changed the most."

"Hey now, don't try any of that deep and meaningful talk with me! I get enough of that back home!"

"Hm. I suppose you do."

"Doublecross!" Eri called, hurrying up to her and tugging at her hand. "When are you coming back again?"

Naoko glanced down at her big red eyes, alight with childlike curiosity and adoration, and smiled softly. "I'm not sure, really. I think it might be a while," she mused, ruffling her hair. "But don't worry! I'll visit you again next time for sure!"

"Promise?"

"Pinky promise!"

"Yay!"

"Yay!"

And soon the young heroes said their goodbyes to their old friends, leaving the school under the warm light of the dipping sun. They had a few more hours of light, by the looks of it, but they were more than content to head back home now. It had been a long day, after all, full of too much joy and too many surprises.

By the time the sun rose again the next day, their fantastic adventures would come to a conclusion. Naoko had a plane to catch and her own home to return to. Thus, they found themselves in Bakugo's car once again, their moods a bit lower this time around.

"Thanks." Naoko gazed at the passing scenery, the whirring quiet shifting around them. Her hands clasped around his free one, absentmindedly playing with his fingers.

"You're welcome."

She glanced back at him, brow raised. "You're not going to ask what I'm thanking you for?"

"You wouldn't have time to list everything."

"Ok, you suck."

"Keep telling yourself that."

She smiled, leaning back in her seat. Her head tilted up as her eyes closed. "I know it might not sound fun, but we should talk more about everything that happened back then. It's important if we're going to try to make this work."

He glanced over to her for a moment, briefly observing her peaceful expression before turning his eyes back to the road. "You been going to a therapist or something?"

"Once a week or they fire me."

"So you talk about your feelings now?"

"Better late than never, right?"

"Yea, yea. So we'll talk after you get back?"

"If you're ok with it. Just the two of us."

"Whatever."

She leaned against the center console, pressing his hand to her cheek. "Are you sure you want to try this? You know, this. It's not too late to back out. I'm sure you could find someone nice here, and without all the problems too."

"Shut up."

"Just give it some more thought. You don't owe me anything, you know. You should choose whatever makes you happiest. And you don't need to worry about me, if that's part of it."

"As if I don't know that."

"Ok, ok, I'm just saying. I just want the best for you."

"Gross."

"I'm being serious, you jerk."

"So am I, stupid. I know what I said."

"Ok, but still, just think about it-"

"I've been thinking about it for five years."

Naoko's hands stilled, and she glanced at him. His lips were pulled downward, a displeased pinch to his brow as their eyes met for a brief moment.

"Oh. Right." She blinked, gaze lowering as she nodded. "Sorry. I wasn't trying to doubt you or anything."

"So you learned how to apologize too? Must be a hell of a therapist."

"That's not what you're supposed to say after someone says sorry."

"What am I supposed to say then?"

"You say you forgive them because they're too pretty and sexy and talented to stay mad at!"

"Gross."

"Hey!"

It wasn't long before they reached the private airfield beyond the city limits, and their time was finally up.

The pair stepped out of the car, and Naoko smiled faintly as she met him halfway.

"I guess this is it," she mused, gazing up at him quietly.

He didn't say much, but her arms curled around his waist, and he pulled her into a tight hug.

"But it's more of a 'see you later' than a goodbye! I'll be back eventually, and you'd better be ready to drive me around some more when it happens!"

"You can't take anything seriously, can you?" he muttered into her hair, arms tightening around her.

"Hey, someone has to lighten the mood." She smiled, squishing her cheek against his chest.

The warmth of that early morning light enveloped both of our young heroes, and the birdsong of a new day chirped distantly from somewhere else.

Nearby, the whirring of an engine could be heard.

"I should go now."

They pulled away gently and with some hesitation, and their gazes found each other once more. Naoko smiled. Quickly, she leaned up, kissed him on the cheek, and gave him one last suffocating hug before dashing off towards the plane idling in the distance, grinning wide and waving loudly as she went.

Bakugo watched as she ran off towards the small group waiting outside the plane, joining them and exchanging some indistinct yet animated words. He couldn't make out what they were saying, but he could hear their shouts even from where he stood- hopefully she didn't get herself into too much trouble. Not long after, the silhouettes filed onto the plane, and the entrance closed behind them.

He leaned against the hood of his car as the distant outline of a plane rolled down the long runway, eventually lifting smoothly off the ground and breaking into the early blue sky.

And just like that, Naoko was gone again. It was that same kind of emptiness he had felt five years ago, but too much had happened for it to really be the same. This time they were older, they understood things their younger selves could not. This time their circumstances were different, and their hearts were different too. This time she left behind a promise of some happier future that might come to be.

What that future would look like... well, that was hard to say, but they'll find it one day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

306K 7.6K 111
In which Delphi Reynolds, daughter of Ryan Reynolds, decides to start acting again. ACHEIVEMENTS: #2- Walker (1000+ stories) #1- Scobell (53 stories)...
3.3K 143 12
๐ƒ๐จ๐ง'๐ญ ๐Œ๐š๐ค๐ž ๐Œ๐ž ๐…๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ข๐ง ๐‹๐จ๐ฏ๐ž (TROLLS BAND TOGETHER) John Dory x Oc โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ John Dory loved exploring and running around...
242K 5.4K 24
{Completed} Laxus has always been your first love, he is the one that saved you after all. You've been dating for 8 years but your relationship has b...
86K 2.7K 41
What happens when (Y/n), or known as (YT/n) moves to London, England next to her favorite voice actor on YouTube, Conner or known as CDawgVA? Keep...