The Last Summer

By _abbynelson_

~"Wow," he manages. "I knew the story about your dad, but I didn't know this still happens." "Every once in a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Author's Note
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 15

63 4 1
By _abbynelson_

~Time lapse: 1 week~

My mom left for a girls weekend, so I have the house to myself. I'm pretty sure she's lying though, because she has no friends other than her one night friends when she goes to the bar.

It's 10:30am and I'm watching cartoons on the TV while eating fruit loops.

Typical morning, I know.

I get bored around 11:30, so I text Hannah.

Me: Hey

A few minutes later, my phone buzzes with a response.

Hannah: Why did you wake me up?

Me: It's 11:30

Hannah: I know. This is the crack of dawn for me

Me: Yeah ok

Hannah: So what's up?

Me: Idk I'm just bored

Hannah: Hold on, I got this

Me: Ummm, got what?

Hannah: Just wait

I wait for about five minutes before Hannah finally has a response to I don't know what.

Hannah: Meet me at Starbucks

Me: Any reason why?

Hannah: Coffee.....

I sigh. I text back 'ok' and get up to change. Hannah barely ever goes to Starbucks, so something must be up.

I get dressed and lock the door on my way out. I get in my car and drive off my street to Starbucks. I turn the radio on and "Counting Stars" starts to play.

I tap my finger on the wheel to the music, and before I know it, I turn into the parking lot to Starbucks. I spot Hannah's car and park right next to it. I get out and walk in.

Hannah's waiting at the counter. "Finally!" she exclaimed. "I thought you'd never get here!"

I sigh. "What is such an emergency, Hannah?"

"Let's order coffee first. Maybe it'll help me out how to word this to you."

We order our lattes and sit at a booth.

Hannah takes a sip of her coffee. "Ok, so, we visited Jenna yesterday-"

"Oh my gosh, is she ok?" I ask.

"Yeah, more than ok! She gets to come home today!"

I stop mid-sip and look at her with wide eyes. "What?! She does?!"

"Yup!" Hannah smiles wide, and so do I. "We just have to pick her up today and my parents said it was ok if you came too!"

"But I wouldn't want to intrude," I say.

"No, you wouldn't be intruding! My parents said it's ok."

I take a moment to ponder this. "Ok, if you insist."

"Yay!" Hannah claps her hands together. "Let's go!"

I nearly choke on my coffee. "Wait, now?!"

"Yeah!" she says. "My parents are on a trip for work, so I'm getting her."

"If your parents are gone, why did you even bother asking if I could come?" Knowing Hannah, she wouldn't ask about anything if her parents weren't home. Not even if she could go on a shopping spree, which she has done. She was grounded for two months.

"Oh, I didn't ask them. I just knew you would most likely say yes if I said they know."

"Sometimes, you know me too well."

She laughs. "Well, can we go now?"

"I guess."

We walk out of Starbucks to our cars. Since Hannah is taking Jenna, I'm going to follow her to the hospital. I wouldn't want to intrude when they're driving home.

I find a decent radio station and follow her to the hospital.

Twenty minutes later, we pull into the hospital parking lot. We park as close as we can to each other and walk through the front doors.

"Jenna Stredge, please," Hannah asks the lady at the front desk.

(Stredge pronounced *strej*)

The lady types a few things on her computer before speaking. "Room 269. Just tell the nurse in there that you're going to take her home and she should be good."

"Ok, thanks."

We go to the elevator and press the up button. It takes a few minutes before it finally gets on our floor. A couple families walk out before it's empty.

"Do you know what floor room 269 is on?" Hannah asks me.

"No idea."

She sighs and presses for the second floor. "Hopefully this is right."

When we get on the second floor, Hannah asks a nurse if room 269 is on this floor. It is, but it's a while away. We begin the walk to Jenna's room.

"So, how have things been with you and Jason?" Hannah asks.

"Good," I answer.

She stops and gives me a look. "You have been seeing him almost every day, and if not, texting him non-stop. 'Good' is too short an explanation."

"Ok, ok." I raise my hands in surrender. "Well, it's been amazing. I don't know how else to put it."

"Well, if you can't find your words, then it must be pretty darn good."

I laugh. We keep walking while talking about college. Hannah got accepted to a college in Illinois, only about 2 1/2 hours away from my college. Like Jason and I, we've been planning when to see each other and we've promised to email each other every day at a minimum. We'll still text, but who knows what things will be like once we get to college.

We keep walking and I suddenly run right into someone.

"Sorry," I say. I look up and see Tanner's face. "Tanner? What are you doing here?"

He looks around before answering my question. "My uncle," is all he says. Knowing Tanner, he probably won't say more.

"Oh," I say. "I'm sorry."

He puts a right grin on his face. "It's ok."

"I've gotta....."

"Oh, right," he says. "Um, bye."

"Bye," I say quickly. I turn around and see Hannah's eyebrows raised.

"He's a coworker! Nothing like that! Ew!" I exclaim.

"Mm-hm," Hannah murmurs.

"Do you think I would do that to Jason?" I ask her with a stern look on my face. She shrugs and keeps walking.

Eventually, we're standing in front of Jenna's door. Hannah hesitates before she opens the door.

"Hey Jenna," she says.

I look around Hannah to see Jenna in a hospital bed. She has a sling around her arm and a knee brace, not to mention some scratches here and there. She looks way better than what Hannah described a couple days after the crash.

"Hi Hannah," she says. Her voice cracks only barely when she speaks. "Oh, hi Macy!"

"Hey Jenna!" I smile at her. "How you feeling?"

"Good," she says. "Um, I just have to change, but that's a little difficult. Hannah, could you...."

"Oh, yeah," Hannah says. "Just a minute, Macy." Jenna grabs her clothes in one hand, but Hannah quickly grabs them.

"I got this," she insists.

Jenna shrugs and follows her into the bathroom to change. I walk over and sit down on the bed and wait.

A few minutes later, after a few muffled voices coming from the bathroom, they finally come out and Jenna is out of her hospital gown. I just now notice the small limp Jenna has when she walks.

"Ready?" Hannah asks me.

"Yeah."

We go out of the room and begin the walk to the elevator. We tell the lady at the front counter that we're ready to go. She clicks a few things and confirms that Jenna is free to go.

We walk outside and go to our cars. Jenna goes home with Hannah, and I'm following shortly behind them.

AN:

So glad I've finally finished this chapter. Sorry I haven't written a lot. I've been busy with soccer and I've been distracted by other books I've been reading on here.

I think I'm just going to update once a week. Maybe twice. I don't know. There's no certain day I'll update.

I hope this chapter was ok. This one isn't one of my favorites even though something happy happened. I guess it's just writer's block.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 52.9K 72
One day you're happy, and the next, a freak accident exposes your boyfriend's dirty little secrets in the worst possible way. I lost the man I loved...
263K 5.4K 49
"Tell me. Why won't you tell me?" He asks and I look towards him slowly, "You didn't even talk to me until yesterday! I'm trying to make it so nobody...
467 4 14
When Elizabeth Brayten and her family visit Florida to meet her Mom's parents, and to see where her mother grew up, she will be faced with many chall...
164K 2.9K 29
"Hey! Wait a second." The unidentified guy said. "Um, hi?" I asked confused. Little did I know that this was a summer I would never forget... ~~~ Emi...