The Obscure Downsides of Fame...

By Obscunima

ᴏᴀᴋʟᴇʏ ᴄᴀʀʀɪʟʟᴏ was discovered at fourteen years old, being praised as a musical prodigy by the media ever si... More

M E D I A • P L A Y L I S T S
0 || hi <3
1 || touring
2 || nice to meet you
3 || sarcasm
4 || stage parent
5 || finish your plate
6 || I need goosebumps
7 || marionette
9 || a collection of anti-love songs
10 || that's what actors do
11 || Belgian chocolates
12 || fifteen ex-girlfriends
13 || family stock photos
14 || the way it used to be
15 || teach me something
16 || for what it's worth
17 || it's only a matter of time
18 || a little controversial
19 || I'm sure now
20 || I'd love to get to know you
21|| anything for you
22 || an organized mess
23 || I'll take it as a promise
24 || surveillance
25 || this will pass
26 || my mom took my phone
27 || we're getting pizza
28 || I didn't fuck you up
29 || no questions asked
30 || stick around
31 || you just know
32 || it's you
33 || the Buyout System
34 || everyone dances
35 || drunk words, sober thoughts
36 || plenty interesting
37 || a good romance
38 || Mercury
39 || what's your type
40 || I'm the asshole
41 || flustered
42 || just a kid
43 || rekindling
44 || words cut deep
45 || do you love him?
46 || good for you
47 || Dimple Cheek & Patisserie Boy
48 || unblock me
49 || love language
50 || you love him
51 || emotional attachment
52 || fan fiction
53 || capable of being loved
54 || he's tired
55 || everything is temporary
56 || the illusion of control
57 || a propósito
58 || más que amarte
59 || the semantics
60 || existential bubblegum pop
61 || beauty
62 || the way things are
63 || I made it
64 || everything, all simultaneously
music is like poetry

8 || guessing game

105 8 16
By Obscunima

| CHAPTER EIGHT
| guessing game

ɴᴏʟᴀɴ ᴍᴜʟʟᴇɴ

I could barely remember anyone's name, and that made things a little awkward as I got tiend into a conversation with the dancers.

"Remember the last day of shooting and you like, bolted away?" one of the guys asked me. The entire group started laughing, and I didn't know what to say.

I smiled, pretending to understand the humor, but I didn't find it that funny at all considering I had a panic attack, but they didn't know that, and they didn't have to.

"Stop teasing him," one of the girls said, rolling her eyes. "Especially you, Benedict. You fell off the platform."

I could tell my the line between his eyebrows he was gonna say something, but he didn't get the chance to reply as the other girl cut in.

"Wait, are the cupcakes gone? No!" she said, looking through the boxes as though there would be any more underneath.

"About that, have you ever considered making edibles?" the girl from earlier asked.

I didn't know how to answer that, but luckily for me, Benedict decided to do it for me.

"He's a rich famous teenage boy, Tina. Do you really think he started baking because he wanted fresh baked goods but couldn't get them?"

Tina totally ignored him, instead talking to the girl whose name I remembered as Marilee now. "We should invite him to Caleb's party," Tina told her. "You could make them, right?"

"I'm sorry," I said. Not because I couldn't make them, but simply because I didn't want to. I hadn't done any type of drug for about half a year now, and I wasn't planning on restarting that habit until it became a problem. Besides, I never wanted to meet these people ever again. There was no way I'd agree to get another party with them, unless absolutely necessary.

"Oh well, at least I tried," she said with a shrug. "If you ever change your mind, though, send me a DM."

"He's not some drugs dealer, T. Drop it, oh my god."

Everyone laughed, and I really started to feel out of place. I looked around to find Oakley and Genevieve laughing about something, and his eyes met mine for just the tiniest moment.

"The party could've been so fire if it weren't for him," Marilee said. My head snapped back at her.

"How so?"

"Gen's parties are literally the best, but whenever he's around, she has these strict rules, making it a family friendly thing."

"Mari," Benedict said. "He has some serious mental issues and she's like her little brother. You're really that bothered about not having a drink?"

"Then she should just keep him away from the stuff. It's not that hard. I don't understand why she always invites him anyway."

"He's nice," I said. "I like him." I didn't think when I said that out loud, and I was praying they took it in a friendly way.

"Well, I like him too. That's not it. It's just annoying that she babies him like that, you know? He's nineteen years old. In most countries he's off age."

"She knows him better than we do, so there's probably a reason," Tina said.

"Yes. I told you he has some serious issues. Also, can we not gossip about someone literally right in the fucking room?" Benedict suggested. I nodded in agreement.

I didn't know Oakley all that well, but from what I saw, he was fine. And sweet. The only negative thing I could say about him was the fact that he was so easily manipulated, but he couldn't help that.

"Whatever," Marilee said, rolling her eyes as she crossed her arms.

•••

It was nearly 1 AM when I got home. I thought my mom would've been asleep by now. Not only because it was late, but also because the lights had already been turned off. I nearly jumped when my mom's face appeared in my peripheral vision, illuminated by the blue light of her iPad screen.

"The hell, Mom? Why are you sitting in the dark?"

"You need to be up early tomorrow," she said. "I needed to make sure you got home."

"What's tomorrow?" I asked her.

"Photoshoot. Just for casting shots."

"Does that have to be in the morning? It doesn't take that long."

"Yes. Jacob doesn't have time in the afternoon and he doesn't work evenings. Your appointment is at nine, okay?"

"Fine, whatever," I said. I didn't want to make this a big deal. I was about to continue my way upstairs until my mom started appealing again.

"I just saw the music video," she said. "You did well. I think we need to talk about your next project."

I just hummed in response. My eyes had started burning and I wanted to take my contacts out as soon as I possibly could.

"I'm gonna be looking for widely anticipated movies that still need casting," she said.

"Cool," I said. "Night." I was once again about to continue walking, until she called my name.

"Nolan, wait."

"What?" I asked, turning around to look at her. "I'm tired, Mom. I have to be up at like 7:30."

"Right. Goodnight. We'll talk tomorrow, then."

I finally made my way upstairs, and just when I did, my phone buzzed. Must've been a text message, but I decided not to check it before I got ready to get to bed.

So after I brushed my teeth and changed, I grabbed my phone to find I got a few texts. Most of them were Ava and Keith telling me the music video looks cool. But then there was also Oakley.

Oakley Carrillo:
Hey, you did great in the video. I forgot to tell you

I stared at it for way longer than I should've. It was late, was I supposed to reply? Would he be annoyed?

I waited for a bit longer before I decided to reply anyway. He wouldn't have texted me if he wasn't expecting a reply, would he? He seemed a little upset that I hadn't messaged him last time.

You:
Thanks!

I would've complimented him too, but there wasn't anything to compliment him on that was also relevant, so I put my phone away. At least I did for a second, but my phone buzzed again rather quickly.

Oakley Carrillo:
I was wondering if maybe you'd wanna hang out? We could go for ice cream on Saturday

I smiled, thinking of a solid reply that at least wouldn't be boring.

You:
I typically know a person at least a month before I decide if they're worth having ice cream with

Oakley Carrillo:
I don't get ice cream with anyone, usually

Oakley Carrillo:
you're getting the special treatment and I'm expecting one back

I was fully aware this didn't mean anything, but I couldn't help but grin at my screen like a lunatic.

You:
You haven't convinced me yet

Oakley Carrillo:
I'll pay

Oakley Carrillo:
I'll buy you all chocolate in the world

You:
Deal.

Oakley Carrillo:
Perfect

Oakley Carrillo:
I'll see you this Saturday ;)

Fuck. My body started heating up a whole lot, and suddenly I wasn't that tired anymore. I stared at the messages. There had barely even been enough to scroll through, but I kept doing exactly that, rereading the messages, over and over again.

You:
Ava

You:
He wants to get ice cream this Saturday

Ava:
Sounds like a date

You:
Please don't do that

Keith:
Who?

Ava:
His new hot famous crush

You:
Shut up Ava

I waited for a reply, but was disappointed as Ava was the next one to say something that didn't help me at all.

Ava:
where have you been anyway, Keith? I thought we were meeting up for lunch yesterday

Keith:
Sorry I forgot

It was Keith who initiated a video call, and I picked up right away because I was desperate for advice. At this point I didn't care about sleep.

"You've ignored me for two weeks straight," Ava said, clearly directed at Keith.

"I'm sorry, Ava. Really. But I need to hear about Nolan's guy."

"Yes, please. Thank you."

"Wait!" she said, and I could tell she was moving, probably due to her roommate. "Okay, proceed."

"I think I do like him a little bit, but he doesn't like me in that way," I explained. "But I want to be friends."

"You're really putting yourself through that?" Keith asked.

Ava and I both started laughing, because it was pretty ironic coming from him. He had a crush on practically everyone, and it usually just ended in a friendship. That was how he became my friend in the first place.

"Why are you guys laughing?" he asked.

"Did you forget what happened at the end of junior year?"

He told me he liked me. We hadn't been very close before, and things were really awkward for a while. It turned out fine, though.

"I thought we agreed to pretend it didn't happen," he said.

"We're cool now, aren't we?" I asked.

"I mean, yeah. And I'm glad we're friends. But I did have to tell you at some point, and that was the most embarrassing thing." He covered his face with his hand. "God, I hate my younger self."

"But was it worth it?" Ava asked.

"I guess so."

"That doesn't sound very convincing," she teased.

"Shut up, Ava," I said, but we all ended up laughing. "I don't like him that much. He's just kinda cute."

"Am I the only one who doesn't know who this is about?" Keith asked.

"Ava doesn't know either," I told him.

"We can make it a guessing game!" Ava suggested.

"You hate guessing games," Keith said.

"Yeah, but it's about Nolan's crush. He never talks about crushes. Should we start asking yes or no questions?"

"Sure, go ahead," I said.

"Is anything about you two meeting on the Internet," Keith asked. Of course he had to ask the most perfect question. I was actually getting nervous about telling them.

"Yeah," I said. The day my mom had paparazzi follow me around, they caught me and Oakley leaving the same place within minutes of each other.

"Is he a dancer?" Ava asked.

"Not that I'm aware of," I said.

"Is he more famous than you?" Keith asked again.

"Right now, probably."

"More famous than your dad?" Ava asked.

"Nope."

"It's Oakley Carrillo," Keith said without hesitation. Not even an ounce of emotion was to be detected in his face. My face turned a darker shade of red, and I guess that gave me away.

"How did you guess that so quickly?" Ava whined.

"Wait, seriously? I didn't expect to be right," he said, his eyes widening.

"Yeah," I said. "It's him."

"Shit, Nolan. I mean, I think I could picture it," he said, his eyes somewhere else like he was actually picturing it.

"Please don't say that before he gets his hopes up."

"I'm not getting my hopes up. I'll go hang out with him this Saturday, and maybe we'll become friends. That's my only goal," I said. They both nodded. Slowly, like there was something I didn't know.

"So when are you telling him you like him?" Keith asked.

"I don't fucking know. Should I? What if he turns out to be homophobic or something?"

"Better figure that out sooner or later," Ava said. "Imagine you grow attached to him and only then find out."

She had a point.

"Okay, I promise I'll tell him before I grow attached. Can we talk about something else now?"

"Alright," Ava said. "Keith, Nolan's mom got him a personal trainer."

"Ava," I groaned, but my smile wasn't fading. Instead it was growing bigger by the second. "On second thought, I have a photo shoot tomorrow morning," I said.

"Don't you dare leave the—"

I cut her off by leaving the call, but I was still smiling.

You:
Good night guys

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

255K 13.1K 83
Emmet and Clay did not meet on the best of terms, but that doesn't stop them from becoming fast friends. As their bond grows stronger, they will do w...
33.6K 1.8K 44
"Hey, Jihoon. My name is Soonyoung, I am here to take care of you." "..." "You don't have to talk. I am just here to tell you that I will be taking c...
250 63 33
I'm gay. Some people hate that. I don't. I think. But I know a couple people who do. Hate me, that is. And I'm about ready to give up until I meet Bl...
660K 28.9K 27
Dawson has had it rough. Not as bad as some, worse than others. He lives in constant secret, heart ache and pain. After his parents died he under wen...