š’šˆš‹š•š„š‘ š‘š„š…š‹š„š‚š“šˆ...

By Cynarr

ā š‘»š’‰š’†š’Šš’“ š’…š’†š’”š’•š’Šš’š’š š’‰š’‚š’” š’š’š’š’ˆ š’ƒš’†š’†š’ š’‡š’š’“š’†š’•š’š’š’…, š’•š’‰š’† š’‡š’š’† š’˜š’Šš’š’ š’•š’“š’†š’Žš’ƒš’š’†... More

š‘ŗš‘°š‘³š‘½š‘¬š‘¹ š‘¹š‘¬š‘­š‘³š‘¬š‘Ŗš‘»š‘°š‘¶š‘µš‘ŗ
š‘° āœµ š‘·š‘Øš‘¹š‘» š‘¶š‘µš‘¬
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ šŽšš„
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š“š–šŽ
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š“š‡š‘š„š„
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š…šŽš”š‘
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š…šˆš•š„
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š’šˆš—
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š’š„š•š„š
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š„šˆš†š‡š“
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ ššˆšš„
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š“š„š
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š„š‹š„š•š„š
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š“š–š„š‹š•š„
š‘°š‘° āœµ š‘·š‘Øš‘¹š‘» š‘»š‘¾š‘¶
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š“š‡šˆš‘š“š„š„š
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š…šŽš”š‘š“š„š„š
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š…šˆš…š“š„š„š
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š’šˆš—š“š„š„š
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š’š„š•š„šš“š„š„š
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š„šˆš†š‡š“š„š„š
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ ššˆšš„š“š„š„š
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š“š–š„šš“š˜
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š“š–š„šš“š˜-š“š–šŽ
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š“š–š„šš“š˜-š“š‡š‘š„š„
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š“š–š„šš“š˜-š…šŽš”š‘
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š“š–š„šš“š˜-š…šˆš•š„
š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š“š–š„šš“š˜-š’šˆš—
š‘Øš‘¹š‘» š‘®š‘Øš‘³š‘³š‘¬š‘¹š’€

š‚š‡š€šš“š„š‘ š“š–š„šš“š˜-šŽšš„

513 32 601
By Cynarr

˚✶•━━━━━━•❈•━━━━━━•✶˚
𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑮𝑹𝑶𝑾𝑰𝑵𝑮 𝑫𝑹𝑼𝑴𝑺 𝑶𝑭 𝑾𝑨𝑹
•✶•━━━━━━━━━━━━•✶•

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐀𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐀𝐍 𝐀𝐑𝐌𝐘 𝐆𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐄𝐋𝐃𝐒 𝐁𝐄𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐄𝐍 the river Rush and Cair Paravel as every creature and animal answered the call of their High King. The red banners with an embroidered golden lion danced in the wind that originated from the direction of the sea but while the army's number grew rapidly, Peter's patience shrunk just as fast. He wanted to travel to Anvard now, and his diminishing patience made way for determination as he decided upon something.

Peter stopped pacing, halting in the middle of the balcony and his eyes wandered over the camp he could see faintly in the far distance; most of the vibrant colours of the tents were blocked by the dense foliage of the forest's poplars and the castle's orchard, but if you knew where to look, you could spot the encampment with some effort.

'Alex,' Peter said, dropping his gaze from the gathering army and turning around to look at Alexander in the door opening. 'Ready the horses.'

'Alright,' Alexander answered slowly, 'but why?'

'We'll take Seren to Anvard now. It's time we trade him to get Rose back.'

'But the army─,' Alexander began but Peter cut him off.

'We've waited long enough. The army has enough numbers to appear intimidating. Those who have yet to arrive can join us in Archenland. We march, now.'

Alexander considered the idea for half a minute but then he nodded. He wanted his sister back and he didn't even dare to think in which kind of state she was, especially because Lucy had yet to wake up from her injuries and she had been imprisoned for a shorter amount of time. The sooner they got Rosaleen back, the better.

'Let's march,' Alexander agreed and he set course to the stables while Peter went to inform his siblings and then towards the dungeons to get Seren.

The Archenlander sat on the heap of hay that served as his bed, his legs and arms crossed while he rested with his back against the stone structure of the dungeon. The orange light of the torches danced over his still posture, though he took a deep breath as soon as he saw Peter descending the stone stairs. The dungeon was built underneath the castle, inside the cliff on which Cair Paravel stood and while the salty wind of the sea howled several feet of stones away from Seren's position, the lit torches spread a pleasant warmth through the rocky area.

'Are you still going forth with this ridiculous plan of yours, High King?' Seren asked, barely suppressing the bitter undertone in his voice until he recollected himself while Peter stopped at the other side of the iron bars.

'My offer still stands,' Seren continued. 'You don't have to threaten with a war. I can find out what's going on, I can talk with Lune for you. You have my word.'

'Your word is worth nothing. You're nothing more than a liar,' Peter said, taking deep breaths to refrain himself from spitting out the words.

Seren jumped up from his spot, his balled hands shaking near his side while his eyes burned like coals buried deep within a fire. 'My apologies I don't parade around with my title like you do, High King. I was in disguise, but that doesn't make me a liar.'

'Enough,' Peter snapped. 'Turn around and put your hands behind your back, it's time.'

For a moment, Seren raised his fists as if he wanted to grab Peter's throat between the bars but then he lowered them again and turned around, holding his hands behind his back.

'You're making a mistake,' Seren said after Peter had opened the cell and cuffed his hands. 'We could've been allies in getting Rosaleen back.'

Peter tensed up, suddenly aware of what Rosaleen would think of him when she found out how he had treated Seren. He remembered the day after the anniversary in his study, how she had sparkled by the mere thought of Seren. Rosaleen hadn't said it out loud, but Peter had seen it in her eyes; she loved Seren. She would never forgive him if he traded Seren for her in this manner.

His grip on Seren's wrists loosened and the Archenlander cast a curious look over his own shoulder, back at the King.

'Does Rosaleen know about your heritage?' Peter asked, his voice a hoarse whisper and Seren nodded.

'She does. It happened perchance and I could've made up another story, but I couldn't live with the thought, not anymore. I. . .' His voice died away for a second as he swallowed, his heart hammering against his chest. 'I love her, Peter, and I want her back just as badly as you do. I will do anything for her. If I find out my brother and Silas are behind this together, I will go to war with you. If Silas acted on his own, I will convince my brother to take up arms as well. You can trust me.'

Peter uncuffed Seren's wrists, a muscle in his jaw trembled but he decided that trading Seren for Rosaleen wouldn't be the right thing to do.

Seren slowly turned around to face Peter, a pensive frown resting between his eyebrows as he rubbed his free wrist with one of his hands.

'Let's work together then,' Peter said, holding out his hand and a small smile broke through on Seren's face as he took the King's hand.

'How much time do you need?' Peter continued as he led Seren out of the dungeon and the Archenlander had to squint his eyes a bit against the bright daylight when they stepped onto the courtyard.

'Not much,' Seren answered, glancing at Alexander who marched over to them, leaving his place near the horses. 'Give me a day's head start, then follow with your army.'

'Why isn't he in chains?' Alexander asked, baffled and his gaze darted between the two.

'I decided to take him up on his offer. He'll help us,' Peter said.

'What? Why? What made you change your mind?'

Peter stared off in the distance, his eyes glazing a bit over. 'Rosaleen did,' he mumbled but still loud enough for Alexander to hear.

'I don't understand.'

Seren caught Alexander's gaze and determination fell over him, strengthening his muscles and mind as he straightened his back and raised his chin. 'I love her, Alex. You've known me for years, you know I do not speak those words lightly. I will help you to get her back where she belongs: here in Narnia.'

Alexander observed Seren's eyes and he crossed his arms over his chest but Seren refused to nervously shift from one leg to another. 'I suppose, now that you're a Prince and all, you are more worthy of my sister.'

Seren let out a relieved chuckle, though muttering that Rosaleen didn't care about such things, and Alexander smiled widely, pulling him in a short hug as well.

'I'm sorry we treated you like an enemy,' Alexander apologised, still holding onto Seren's under arm.

'It's forgiven, I do understand the reasoning.'

Peter snapped out of his thoughts, giving Seren an apologetic look. 'I'd like to apologise for my actions as well.'

Seren however, waved it away. 'As I said, it's forgiven. Who knows, I might've acted the same way.'

'Next time, Pete, maybe you should just listen to Susan and I.' Edmund's voice rose up behind them and the trio turned around to watch Edmund and Susan close the last remaining distance over the courtyard. 'Just a thought,' he continued with a snicker, halting near his older brother.

Susan folded her hands together in front of her waist, giving Peter a knowing raise of her eyebrow before sending a small smile towards Seren. 'Peter always needs a little time to see things in the right light.'

Peter rubbed the back of his neck, his face slightly heating up before he composed himself and he stood as proud as ever, his blond hair mirroring the bright sun above them. 'You'll get a day's head start,' he said to Seren as he elected to ignore his siblings' comments. 'We'll meet again in Archenland, and hopefully, you'll have more information for us then.'

Seren nodded, but before he could ask where his confiscated weapons were, a faint sound rose up from beyond a castle wall that enclosed the courtyard. It sounded like a shuffling pair of footsteps and it was barely audible above the wind that blew around the white-stoned structure. The eastern walls separated the citadel from the cliffside and when Peter, Edmund and Alexander unsheathed their weapons and shifted in a protective stance, Seren understood it wasn't usual for a sound to arise from there.

'There's a secret door and staircase there,' Susan whispered to Seren, her lips not even moving and her blue eyes swam with the colour of a raging sky. 'No one ever uses it.'

'Who's there?' Peter demanded to know and even the wind seemed to hold its breath when the shuffling footsteps stopped, only to be followed by the sound of a heavy, stone door opening.

The secret door was molded out of the same stones as the walls and the structures had merged perfectly together until it opened. The door swung inwards, towards the courtyard and Peter's sword fell out of his hand when he recognised the person standing in the door opening.

'Rose?' he asked, not quite believing his eyes but when she stepped out of the contrasting light of the stone wall's shadows and the bright endless sky behind her, there was a stumble in her pace. Her legs wobbled with every small step and her skin was ghostly-pale.

Peter fell into long strides as he hastened to reach her but Seren was faster as he sprinted around him, his green shirt billowing with the wind.

Seren wrapped his arms around Rosaleen before she could collapse onto the stones and he sat the two of them carefully down, allowing her to lean heavily against him.

'Hi,' Rosaleen murmured, her half-shut eyes flickering between everyone as she fought to remain conscious but her irregular breathing became shallower every passing second.

'Hi,' Seren returned with a cracked voice while the others gathered around them as well and Peter dropped on his knees to be at her eye-level.

Seren frowned as he started to register a strange feeling under his touch and as he removed his hand from her back, the smudge of blood stuck against the palm of his hand.

A boulder seemed to drop in his stomach when he cast a glance at her back and saw how the blood had turned the blue fabric of her dress to a mixing hue of purple and red. It stuck to her body in a combined manner of dried and wet blood, and Seren carefully laid his hand back, pulling her tighter towards himself as an anger started to boil under his skin. The same anger that shimmered in Peter's and Alexander's eyes as the former set his jaw and the latter strengthened his grip around the handles of his swords.

'Rose, look at me,' Peter said, his soft yet demanding tone forcing Rosaleen to open her eyes a bit more again. 'Who did this to you?'

A tear slipped out of the corner of Rosaleen's eyes, a silver shimmer falling across them as the tears built up and with a suppressed sob, she buried her face against Seren's chest.

'Was it Silas?' Seren asked in a low growl, but Rosaleen shook her head to the astonishment of most.

'Lune,' she whispered, her voice thick from pain and tears, and Alexander cursed under his breath while Seren tried to make sense of his half-brother's betrayal. Peter however, was strangely calm as he rose back to his full length, though his nostrils flared and his chest rose and fell in restrained heavy breaths.

He turned to look at Edmund and Susan one at the time, but they didn't disagree with him on this aspect; it was time for a new regime in Archenland.

✶••━━━━━━••✶

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐎𝐋𝐋𝐎𝐖 𝐓𝐀𝐏𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐎𝐎𝐃𝐄𝐍 𝐂𝐑𝐔𝐓𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐒 𝐄𝐂𝐇𝐎𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐓 the hallway as Rosaleen made her way over to the throne room, her eyebrows arched in a pained concentration. The rhythmic taps were accompanied by the dragging sound of her footsteps as she wrestled her way forward and she had to take a few deep breaths when she reached the faun stationed by the closed doors. The polished oaken wood shimmered orange in the light of the setting sun while the golden hinges shone like small sun themselves in the darkening corridor.

'Lady Rosaleen,' the faun Eber said, his goat-like ears flicking nervously up and down. 'You should be resting.'

'I know,' she answered, leaning heavily on the crutches, 'but it feels as if the walls are closing in on me. I've been alone long enough during my capture.'

Eber's brown eyes softened. 'I'm afraid no one is allowed inside as they discuss their war-plans, milady.'

Rosaleen's gaze darted between the faun and the door. 'I'm fairly sure they didn't mean me too, Eber. Please, I feel like collapsing after making my way over here.' Beads of sweat trickled down her face, the ashen grey colour of her skin making her hollow cheeks even more prominent, and Eber gave in with a sigh as he pushed against the doors.

The doors swung smoothly open without making any sound and Rosaleen flashed a faint smile when the gazes of those gathered in the throne room turned to look at her as she struggled moving inside. Their silhouettes coloured dark against the stained glass window behind them that swam with a fiery red, orange and yellow, and the marble tiles seemed to roll like lava under their feet.

'Dang it, Rose,' Seren cursed as he sprinted to her side and helped her farther inside, taking the crutches from her. 'What are you doing here? You'll tear your gashes right open again.'

'I'm sorry,' she apologised, although her sentence ended in a sharp gasp and her body twinged for a moment, almost falling out of balance if Seren hadn't supported her. 'I couldn't stand being alone any longer and I don't want to go to sleep.' The last part she mumbled, shutting her eyes for a moment before focussing on Seren and the others within the room again.

'Please let me stay,' she pleaded and Peter nodded from his position by the table brought in the room. He stood bent over a detailed map of Narnia and Archenland that was spread over the table top; the corners of the parchment held into place by four paperweights in the shape of a lion's head.

'Castle Anvard has the advantage that it's surrounded by forests and hills, even shielded by mountains. If we try to lay siege, we will lose,' Peter said after Rosaleen and Seren had joined the circle around the desk consisting of Edmund, Susan and Alexander. 'We will have to draw the army out somehow.'

Edmund's dark eyes wandered over the map before he tapped with his index finger on several spots. 'We could cut off their supply roads. The castle may be shielded, it's also a death trap without the continuous import of provisions.'

Peter hummed thoughtfully, leaning with the palm of his hands on the map as he observed the roads as well.

'I know, it's the long game,' Edmund continued, understanding what Peter's hum meant.

'I want Lune off his throne, now,' Peter grumbled before straightening his back and putting his hands in his side, his gaze still not leaving the map.

Rosaleen's eyes darted between the location of Castle Anvard on the map and Seren standing next to her. 'Does Lune know Seren is here?' she wondered and Peter's gaze snapped up to meet hers.

'No, unless Seren informed him?'

The Archenlander shook his head. 'I didn't. For all he knows, I'm still in Calormen.'

'Perhaps we don't have to force a way inside for our whole army,' Rosaleen thought out loud. 'Perhaps we only have to plan a coup. Seren has a claim on the throne.' She paused, looking at those around her and a slight frown appeared on her face when no one looked surprised by that revelation.

'I guess I missed something in my absence,' she muttered, before clearing her throat while Edmund suppressed a chuckle.

Seren however, started to piece the things together and his heart hammered against his chest. 'Rose, no,' he tried but she gave him an unwavering stare as she continued.

'We could disguise ourselves as Archenlanders, pretending to escort Seren back into the castle and once inside, we overthrow and capture Lune before opening the gates for the Narnians. It'll be over before it even starts.'

Seren took a small step away from her, the doubt now written all over his face. 'I do not want the throne, it's not mine. The Lords of Archenland would never support me.'

'But you would have the support of the Kings and Queens of Narnia,' Rosaleen insisted. 'Right?' she asked those around her.

Susan crossed eyes with Peter. 'It is easier to place Seren on the throne than a Narnian.'

Seren frantically shook his head until Rosaleen took one of his hands between her own and placed her other on the stubble of his cheek, gently forcing him to look at her. 'You said you had nothing to offer me, but you do. You could have a throne, a kingdom, and a people. We could have all that. Do it for me.'

Seren swallowed as he looked into her eyes, the green of her ocean-coloured eyes glossed with the silver of reflecting water for a moment. He brought up his own free hand to lay it over hers that cupped his cheek and he gave it a small squeeze.

'For you, then,' he said softly and she smiled brightly. 'Now, get some rest while we discuss the fine details of the plan. You look rather pale,' he continued and when she nodded, Susan took her exhausted friend over from him.

'I'll get her back to her room.'

She guided Rosaleen out of the throne room and when the doors had shut close again and their footsteps had long died away, Edmund, Peter, Alexander and Seren all shared a concerned look.

'I don't know who that is, but that's not Rosaleen.'

'I fear you're right,' Peter said as a response to Seren's comment and Alexander wiped a hand over his own face.

'She seems brainwashed,' he said, his voice and posture broken by the plausibility his sister could be beyond saving and sanity.

Edmund chewed on his bottom lip. 'We cannot trust anything she has said. She is a puppet from whoever is behind all of this.'

The four young men let out a sigh at the same time; their suspicions of when Rosaleen had been most vague about her escape coming true; something definitely was amiss. They had given her the benefit of the doubt, but now they were sure; someone was playing them. . .

•✶•━━━━━━━━━━━━•✶•

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.3K 2K 55
āœ©ā‚ŠĖš.ā‹†ā˜¾ā‹†āŗā‚Šāœ§ Valera. The Golden Witch. The Daughter of Summer. āœ©ā‚ŠĖš.ā‹†ā˜¾ā‹†āŗā‚Šāœ§ When Peter Pevensie enters a magical world he didn't expect to meet such a gi...
211K 6.6K 20
š“š‡š„ š…šˆš‘š„š’šŽšš† š’š„š‘šˆš„š’ - ššŽšŽšŠ šŽšš„ ā "You know, you seemed a lot nicer before you started training us." "We don't have time for...
123K 4.6K 21
š“š‡š„ š…šˆš‘š„š’šŽšš† š’š„š‘šˆš„š’ - ššŽšŽšŠ š“š–šŽ ā "You have always been my King, Peter. Always." āž ~ in which nimueh is dragged back to the pl...
1M 27K 39
" He set fire to the world around him but he never let a flame touch her. " Jasmine is the daughter of The Great Lion Aslan, sent to the hum...