Darkest of Times [Albert J Mo...

By FreyaSunbeam

A chance encounter after her performance at the theatre sparks something inside Albert, something he's never... More

Disclaimer
Prologue
Act 1, Scene 1 - The Meeting
Act 1, Scene 2 - After the Review
Act 1, Scene 3 - Carriage Ride For Two
Act 2, Scene 1 - The Plan
Act 2, Scene 2 - The Ball
Act 2, Scene 3 - A Chance Encounter
Act 2, Scene 4 - The Crescendo
Act 3, Scene 1 - The Almost
Act 3, Scene 2 - Palace Scheming
Act 4, Scene 1 - The Riddle
Act 4, Scene 2 - The Distrust
Act 4, Scene 3 - A Criminal Encounter
Act 4, Scene 4 - The Phone Call
Act 4, Scene 5 - The Surprising Twist
Act 5, Scene 2 - The Downfall
Act 5, Scene 3 - A Favour
Act 5, Scene 4 - The Night Before
Act 6, Scene 1 - The Next Day
Act 6, Scene 2 - The Days After
Act 6, Scene 3 - The One's Left
Act 6, Scene 4 - The Bridge
Act 6, Scene 5 - The Truth
The Last Scene - A Final Encounter

Act 5, Scene 1 - The Knight's Speech

449 18 0
By FreyaSunbeam

The weather as people walk around the Victoria Embankment Gardens is bright and sunny, the glow warming Eleanor's flushed skin. She raises a lace-gloved hand to shield her eyes from the sunlight. Tilting the brim of her blue hat down, she turns to her father as he checks his pocket watch.

"Albert and William should be there, awaiting Mr Whiteley's speech." She informs him.

Phillip nods, tucking the watch back inside his blazer. "I'm interested to see this MP Adam Whiteley. It should have a positive impact on the people and the future generation."

"The children of London?"

"Yes, it seems that some of the children of London have been playing a game called the Lord of Crime," Phillip tells her as they stroll through the beautiful new park. "So hopefully Adam Whiteley will steer them in the right direction."

Eleanor fans herself with her hand. "Are you sure it's not an innocent game of tag, father?"

"Perhaps it is," Phillip shrugs. "But the Lord of Crime is either being praised as a Robin Hood character or hated for his choice of targets."

"It's attracting polar opposite opinions, that's for certain," Eleanor mutters. "I personally don't believe it's such a bad idea to have this Lord of Crime running around. Though Scotland Yard is at their wit's end right about now trying to figure out who it is."

Phillip shakes his head. "At least Jack the Ripper seems to have been sorted out. I do feel sorry for the new head of Scotland Yard, however."

"Why do you say that?" Eleanor asks, eyebrows raised as they spot the large group of people standing before the wooden stage up ahead. "He's not got the White Chapel murderer to worry about."

"He's been thrown in to take charge at a time when a mastermind is at large," He says. "It appears the Lord of Crime is a bigger threat than Jack the Ripper."

"Ahh, Phillip Williams!"

With a wide smile on his face, Phillip adjusts his hat on his head. He reaches out to shake the gentleman's hand, who smiles back at him and returns the gesture.

"A pleasure to see you today, Mayor Damsten," Phillip greets him. "This is my daughter, Eleanor."

With a grey handlebar moustache, Mayor Damsten is dressed in a dark grey suit with a bowler hat atop his bald head.

The Mayor shakes Eleanor's hand with a firm grip. "I've heard a lot about you, Miss Eleanor."

"All good things I hope," She jokes. "A pleasure to meet you."

"Your last performance at the St James' theatre was last night, correct? My wife saw you a few weeks ago and raved about you." The Mayor tells her.

"That's correct and thank you for saying, she's too kind." Eleanor smiles politely.

The Mayor twists the corner of his moustache. "So what is next for you?"

"I'm awaiting news on a play in Paris, which is rather exciting," Eleanor tells him, shielding the sun from her eyes.

"A bright future ahead of you," He places a finger on his chin. "You're a fine young lady, I must introduce you to my son."

Phillip places a hand on her shoulder. "With all due respect Sir, Eleanor is courting a wonderful man. A Lord Albert Moriarty."

"Pardon me, I wish you all the best with Lord Moriarty," Mayor Damsten nods. "He's a polite young man, a member of the House of Lords no less."

A wide grin creeps on her lips and she looks past the Mayor. "Speaking of, I've just spotted him. It was a pleasure to meet you, Mayor Damsten."

Taking her leave from her father and the Mayor, Eleanor weaves past members of the public, making her way over to where Albert and William stand together talking.

Both are dressed in their usual attire, Albert with a green cravat, William with a red necktie and both with top hats and carrying canes.

"Albert! William!"

Halting their conversation, their attention is drawn to Eleanor as she walks over. Albert sends her a wide smile.

"Eleanor, my dear,"

Discreetly reaching for his hand, she squeezes it comfortingly. Albert raises the back of it to his lips, kissing gently.

Releasing their grip, Eleanor adjusts her hat. "Good morning, William."

"Good morning, Eleanor," He nods his head politely. "Congratulations on your final performance last night. If Louis was here he would congratulate you too."

Eleanor purses her lips to hide her smirk. "I'd like to believe you but I know Louis isn't fond of me, you don't need to pretend."

The brothers look at one another with eyebrows raised, Albert shaking his head. "That's not it at all. Louis likes you, trust us."

"He's always giving me some sort of disappointed or doubtful look," She crosses her arms. "He doesn't trust me."

William chuckles. "It's not that, he's just very protective of us as brothers."

Albert speaks in a hushed tone, leaning closer. "You must understand that we've been all each other's had for quite a few years and this has all been very thought out. Don't worry, he likes you."

The corner of her mouth tugs up and she nods. "Alright, I believe you both."

"There are two bouquets in our carriage to congratulate you, one from the others and one from myself. I'll give them to you later." Albert informs her and she thanks them, grinning from ear to ear.

"Is your father here today?" William asks.

She points over at where she came from. "He's talking with the Mayor of London before the official opening of the park begins."

"Which, speaking of," William looks around at the greenery. "It's a beautiful park. Although it's taken quite a while, it's worth the wait."

"Indeed. So," Eleanor crosses her arms, searching the crowd by the stage to catch a glimpse of the new MP. "What's this Adam Whiteley chap like?"

Albert eyes the MP himself. "Well, there's the obvious fact that he's much younger than the other current members of parliament. I believe it's a breath of fresh air, however."

William agrees. "He speaks about equality and promises everyone in the country a right to vote."

"I heard about that," Eleanor huffs. "I also heard a lot of disgruntled members of higher class voice their opinions on his bill. A shame really."

Albert shrugs. "Unfortunately that's how a lot of people think."

Eleanor turns to the pair, muttering under her breath. "Hopefully not for long."

"Quite right," Albert grins. "However, I think he's a genuine man. From my judgement of character, he's being honest and not promising something he believes is an unreachable goal. I have faith in him."

"And your plan?" She asks.

Albert motions to the envelope tucked inside his blazer. "I'll talk to him after his speech, should we need to after this is over with."

"We're hoping if all goes well with his speech then we shouldn't need to interfere," William tells her.

Raising an eyebrow, Eleanor motions to the stage. "And you think that's going to be possible with them in the mix?"

The 'them' she's referring to is a handful of members of the House of Commons that are present at the event today. These are the same members who opposed Adam Whiteley's bill that he put forward for the House of Lords —them being present is something that doesn't look too promising for Adam's chances at popularity.

"That's another story." William mumbles.

-

"Well," Eleanor huffs. "That didn't go to plan."

"Unfortunately, that was to be expected." Phillip sighs. "However, I didn't see that response from Mr Whiteley coming, the way he took complete blame for the park taking so long to be completed."

Albert agrees. "He took it on the chin."

Placing a hand on Eleanor's shoulder, Phillip politely nods at the two Moriarty brothers. "I shall show my face to the rest of the MP's present today and return to the palace."

The three watch as Phillip walks away from them and towards the stage. Most of the members of the public have left since the speech or dispersed to see the new gardens in the fresh, sunny weather.

"Those MP's seemed to be happy with the way they blamed Mr Whiteley." Eleanor rolls her eyes.

"Albert," William stares past them vaguely at the fountain. "You know what to do now."

With a swift nod of his head, Albert strolls over in the direction of Adam Whiteley and the three men stood with him.

A sigh escapes Eleanor's lips and she shields the sun from her eyes. "It's much warmer today than I expected."

"What do you think of Mr Whiteley?"

Eyebrows raised, she turns to William, the two meandering towards a bench nearby. "Mr Whiteley? I think he seems nice? A pleasant man in fact, who knows how the public thinks and isn't concerned about pleasing everyone."

They take a seat on the bench and Eleanor continues.

"He knows that pleasing everyone isn't going to happen in his position, everyone is entitled to their own opinion."

William nods in his usual aloof demeanour that can come off as cold. "I believe he's of the same opinion as us. The documents Albert is giving to him hold great power and it will be a test of his true beliefs and ideals."

"What do the documents contain?" Eleanor asks, eyeing him from the peripheral vision.

"They're unquestionable proof of the House of Lords having mob connections. Therefore linking them to..."

"...the bomb under his carriage the other day."

A sly smirk creeps on William's face. "Exactly."

The pair sit in silence once again, taking in the sounds of the park; birds chirp, kites whip in the wind and the laughter of children surrounds them.

"Look at them," Eleanor smiles, gazing out at the children in wheelchairs, happily playing on the new surface of the park. "A wheelchair-friendly area for them to safely play."

They chase each other, gleefully wheeling themselves around as their teacher laughs, following after with a watchful eye.

"So this was his true intention for the park. How thoughtful."

"Eleanor,"

She raises her eyebrows, drawing her attention away from the group. A cloud hangs over William's head and his serious tone returns.

"We need your help..."

-

-

-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.4K 712 37
An avid fan of Moriarty the Patriot, Stella is sitting one day watching her beloved show when suddenly, she's pulled in. Literally. Now stuck in the...
11.7K 471 26
Edith Bordeaux, French name American girl. She works at the cafe right next to the flat of the once dead consulting detective Sherlock Holmes. She's...
52K 2K 62
Completed 17/04/2019 :) 18,600 reads 05/07/2020 :)) "In a world full of locked rooms the man with the key is king and honey you should see me in a c...
15.7K 623 18
(Jim Moriarty x reader) [COMPLETED] - "...Jim," she gasped. He stared at her intensely, hands in his pockets. His hair was messy, and dark circles h...