•did you get enough love, my...

By sunflowerwalls24p2

August Miller is burning the candle at both ends. He's a freshman in high school yet he already works two jo... More

prologue
~safe for now~ chapter one
~thinking about him~ chapter two
~the bravest sweetest boy~ chapter three
~dreams or memories~ chapter four
~special names~ chapter five
~mama~ chapter six
~he's gone~ chapter seven
~you are my sunshine~ chapter nine
~take all of your pain away~ chapter ten
~love mummy and daddy~ chapter eleven
~feeling extra tiny~ chapter twelve

~we love you~ chapter eight

7.9K 216 20
By sunflowerwalls24p2

August's POV

I hugged my thin sweatshirt closer to my body as another shiver wracked through me, the rain hitting my face harshly.

I've been outside for a few hours now, walking aimlessly through the busy New York City streets, at least that's where I assume I am.

I'm not sure where Mr. Brooks and his husband live but New York City is the only big place like this near my small town.

Don't you mean Mama and Daddy?

Tears spring to my eyes as my sinful brain reminds me of the past few hours before I had my freak out.

I can't believe I actually slipped. 

I messed up so bad, now they'll never want me, I just know it.

That thought doesn't stop my mind from wandering, slipping into a fuzziness that reminds me of how wonderful my time was while I was in my little space. I can't remember the last time I'd fully slipped like that or even slept for that long, having the opportunity was amazing.

Mr. Brooks was so kind and gentle. He used soft voices and any time he touched me it felt as if it was powered by warmth and love. Mr. Brooks' husband, Davide, was really nice too, just in a different way. When I was in his arms, I felt like nothing could ever touch me again, like he would protect me and take all of my worries away.

I felt safe, something I haven't felt in a really long time... or ever, really.

It doesn't matter how I felt though because there's no way they actually could have been okay with me slipping. They must think I'm such a freak now.

I'm not sure why they didn't kick me out immediately but it doesn't matter, they hate me.

I kept walking down the sidewalk as my thoughts got darker and darker, people were passing me all around but I didn't have the heart to look. I just put one foot in front of the other and tried to find a familiar surrounding so I can get home.

Hopefully I make it before the cold and the rain kills me.

I'd probably be better if it did, though.

Davide's POV

"It's alright, mi amore. We'll find him." I whispered soothingly to Nikolas who was a crying mess in the passenger seat next to me. I placed a large, warm hand on his knee and rubbed it, reminding him that I was here supporting him even though I was focusing on driving.

After August ran away a few hours ago, I grabbed our car keys as soon as possible and got Nikolas into the garage at the bottom of our apartment building. We've been driving around through the storming rain looking for August everywhere but we can't seem to find him. Nikolas is a wreck, questioning what he could've done to stop August from running away and I'm not much better.

I'm worried sick about August.

Firstly, he's in a new city that I'm not sure he's ever really been to before. He lives in a small town, he doesn't know where to go or how to find his way home. Secondly, and what I'm most worried about, it's raining and it's nearing winter in New York. He's probably freezing right now and if we don't find him tonight, I'm worried he'll be seriously hurt.

I don't think I can handle knowing my boy is hurt because of my negligence.

I should have been faster.

I should have known he was going to run.

If I did, he would be safe and in Nikolas and I's arms right now.

I can't show that to Nikolas, though. I need to be strong for him because right now, he's hurting more than I can ever imagine and hearing his heart wrenching sobs is killing me.

So, I need to find August.

I need to bring him home.

Taking care of little Augie earlier today was one of the best things I've ever had the chance to do in my life. He was so sweet and adorable and the more time I spend with him the more I want to give him the world.

Learning about the family that he was cursed with made me want to protect him even more.

August deserves so much more that what he's been given and I can't wait to provide that for him.

"B-But what if w-we don't?" Nikolas asked, his voice being muffled by yet another sob. I glanced over at him quickly and saw his raw, red rimmed eyes and his matching red nose, breaking me even more. I hate to see the love of my life sad like this.

"We will." I told him determinedly as I myself hid a small tear. I cant imagine not having August in my life now that we've found him.

"I-I should've c-calmed him d-down better." He mumbled under his breath. "I-I'm n-not gonna be a good M-Mama for him." Nikolas had his head pressed against the window as he spoke quietly, looking longingly out into the dark street illuminated by billboards and building lights.

"Are you kidding me, tesoro?" I asked him incredulously. (Darling.) "You were so good with August today. I can tell how much he loves you and how much you love him. That's all that matters. Parenting and taking care of August is going to be tough, there'll be challenges and obstacles but as long as you try, everything will be okay." I told his softly as I stopped at a red light. His eyes didn't budge from the window but his small, delicate hand did travel across the center console and over to my own, squeezing it and letting me know he appreciated my words.

I'll always be there to say them and support my love for as long as he needs because without Nikolas I don't know who I'd be.

"Pull over!" I jumped when Nikolas' voice suddenly spoke out loudly. I listened, pulling over to the right side of the road. When the car was fully stopped I took a moment to look around at my surroundings, noticing two run down brick buildings with a dark alleyway in between them. "Do you see that?!" I inspected the area that Nikolas was pointing at but I couldn't see a thing. That was until I flashed the brights on the car and my eyes zeroed in on a large dumpster in the back of the alley. Relief swarmed through my body when I saw a small, curled up body on the ground behind the dumpster; it's August.

We quickly got out of the car, not bothering to worry about how wet we would get by walking outside in the pouring rain, the only thoughts swirling around my head are of getting August out of this weather and safe.

"August? Sweetheart, is that you?" Nikolas asked as we walked into the alley. As we got closer to the figure I noticed he was shaking harshly, rocking back and forth to preserve any warmth he could get.

"August, we just want to make sure you're okay. Can you come out please?" I asked as I realized there was no way I could get behind the dumpster. Nikolas is tiny but only an August sized person could get to that spot.

He didn't respond, only curled up tighter and rocked quicker, he must be so cold on the wet ground like that. Thinking back to earlier in the day, I remembered that he wasn't wearing very warm clothes either. We should have changed him into some of Nikolas's better quality and thicker clothing but with everything going on we must have forgot.

I feel terrible for leaving him in his old clothes and neglecting his needs.

"I know you can hear us, bug, so I'm just gonna keep talking." Nikolas said with a heavy sigh, he isn't mad at August, he just isn't happy with himself. "Baby, I want you to know that Davide and I loved taking care of you today." He got a little bit closer to the dumpster and sat down criss cross, I followed his lead and sat next to him.

"You didn't know this, but Nikolas and I have been looking to adopt for a few years now. We've been waiting so long to find a kid that we felt a connection to but it just wasn't happening. That was until we met you, at least." I told him in a gentle tone.

"August, when I met you on the first day of school I knew you were a very special boy. I felt something I hadn't felt ever; a strong urge to protect you and keep you safe from everything that could harm you." Nikolas said as he teared up, not from sadness but from the surge of his love for August.

"I want you to know that no matter what you think, Davide and I love you so much and when we found out you were a little, we only loved you more." He finished through a sniffle. We heard some shuffling coming from the back of the alley and saw August moving towards the opening.

He came out slowly but when he did the sight was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. He was absolutely drenched, his clothes clinging to his wet skin and practically falling from his thin frame. His hair was matted to his forehead and I could see how much he'd been crying.

Oh, our poor boy.

"You l-love m-me?" August's words sounded broken, like he'd never thought anybody would ever tell him what we'd said.

"Of course we love you, bambino. How could we not with your beautiful smile and your addictive giggle. At this point, you've got us both wrapped around your little fingers." I told him honestly as I stared into his big, doe eyes. (Baby.)

As soon as the words left my mouth, he was running in my direction and colliding against my chest, wrapping his arms around me. However, he's so small that they barely wrapped around my broad shoulders.

Nikolas joined in on the hug as well, wrapping him up from the back; it was a wonderful moment.

Well, it would have been if we weren't all soaking wet and sitting in puddles of rain.

"Can we move this to the car, tesoros?" I asked them after a moment of our soggy sappiness.
(Darlings.)

"Good idea, baby." Nikolas agreed as he stood up and grabbed my hand, helping me up as well. I put my hand behind August's back, gently guiding him to the car as we walked in the direction.

I opened up the back car door and Nikolas got inside, August getting in next to him. I don't feel very comfortable with him sitting by himself with how small August is but he's not little right now so I don't want to force him into anything that will make him uncomfortable.

Speaking of him not being little, we need to talk about that.

I carefully buckled August into his seat and gave Nikolas a soft kiss before getting into the drivers seat and beginning the hour long drive back to our penthouse, not forgetting to turn the heat on full blast.

We sat in relative silence for a while until August broke it, I figured he was asleep but it seems I was wrong.

"W-What happens n-now?" He asked quietly, wringing his hands in his lap.

Nikolas and I exchanged a hesitant look through the rearview mirror and I decided to speak, "Well, we'd like to adopt you, amore." I told him honestly. "If that's what you'd like." I made sure to add quickly. (Love.)

"Yes!" He said Immediately. "B-But what a-about m-my mom?" I could see the hurt on Nikolas's face as August asked the question after his previous statement.

Knowing Nikolas was too caught up to answer, I did it for him.

"Please don't be mad, bambino, but after hearing everything Nik has told me about you over the past couple of months, I had a private investigator look into your situation." I was careful with how I worded it but it seemed any way sounded pretty bad.

When he didn't look too mad, I continued. "We know that your mom abuses you and isn't fit to care for you. We also know that you're working two jobs to support yourself and that your mom has a boyfriend that you shouldn't be in a house with." I told him gently, all he gave me was a small nod.

"What Davie is trying to say is, we would like to work with child services to prove your mother unfit and adopt you." Nikolas finished for me as I wasn't doing so well. "What do you think?" He asked August.

"A-Am I-I allowed t-to be l-little?" August sounded so innocent and scared at the same time, it hurt me to know he had to be careful about being little in the past. Being little should always be an option for August.

"Of course, my sweet boy. If you'd have us, Davie and I would love to be your new Mama and Daddy." Nikolas spoke softly, reaching out to run his hand through August's wet hair. August mewled, sounding close to a kitten, and nuzzled into the touch.

"I-I'd r-really like that." He said sincerely as I saw his eyes slowly blink open and closed. "B-But what if they t-take me away from y-you guys?" August asked as his worries woke himself back up.

"That wont happen, tesoro. Nikolas and I have vast resources and lots of connections, you'll be ours in no time." I saw his eyes become heavier once again as I turned around to flash him a comforting smile. (Darling.)

"I know you're tired, bug, but we'll be home soon. When we get there, hows about we get you in a nice warm bath and then get you dressed in some dry clothes?" Nikolas asked August, already knowing the answer. I think a shower or bath was a need for all of us, as we're all absolutely drenched.

"Mmmm, sounds good, Mama." I smiled to myself when I heard his beautiful words. I'm not sure if he slipped yet but he was calling Nikolas Mama again.

Everything is finally falling back into place.

-

a/n - hey guys! sooo... i was not expecting this chapter to be this long, i really thought it would only be like 1k words but it's almost 2.5k... sorry if that means the chapter was really boring.... but... august has finally accepted their offer to be theirs!! i can finally get into fluff hopefully, which brings me to my next question...

sooo i have most of the story planned out but i left a decent amount of room for fluff chapters so if you guys have any recommendations for what you'd like to see the new family do or any prompts for fluff scenes please feel free to comment!! prompts are ALWAYS welcome :)

anyways... thank you so much for reading and i hope you liked the chapter! if you did, feel free to vote and comment letting me know what you thought of it! i hope you all have a lovely day/night! <3

p.s. i'm writing this chapter and editing it at like three in the morning so if it's really bad i'm sorry :/

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

321K 16.2K 67
Two stubborn people, different lives a terrible situation that brings them together and changes their lives forever. Maya is an 18 year old girl try...
162K 6.2K 82
Even though I'm a mess and I still don't think I'm good enough for him, I want to date him. I haven't managed to scare him off with my panic attacks...
14.6M 371K 70
⚠️ Published version Available in Paperback & E-Book through Amazon! Hardcover and Paperback available online at Barnes & Noble! This WattPad versio...
20.5K 1.5K 25
[BXB] Archie Holland and Brooks Dawson decide to take a third and final shot at love. ☆☆☆ Brooks Dawson is falling apart. His mom's behavior is spira...